PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Race Flash?

Firedshot
15th January 2009, 05:11 PM
I see alot of posts but can never figure out who race's what. I race Flash mostly and was wondering if anyone else does and if they want a race?

Darkdrium777
15th January 2009, 05:31 PM
Hmm most people here race Phantom. Personally I don't know anyone who races only Flash. :( We all could of course, it's just that, well... It isn't really fast enough lol. ;) Sorry man :)
Although something can always be arranged sometimes, we will race you if you set up a meeting of course :)

Danterich
15th January 2009, 05:50 PM
Sometimes I do some "Flashbacks" for shiptests and collecting points, or just to race in times when no Phantom or Rapier room is filling. See you on tracks!

yeldar2097
15th January 2009, 06:09 PM
i'm a phantom racer but if i ever see you hosting i'll give you a quick racie. see you there!

CaptainWipeout
15th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Hiya Firedshot - get fed up with the other site too :-)

Did I follow you or did you follow me lol.
Good to see you.

Firedshot
15th January 2009, 09:05 PM
i followed you bud lol

Dark_Vincent
15th January 2009, 10:58 PM
I race on Flash mostly since I haven't had time to practice enough to advance further on Rapier or Phantom.

YouAreFubar
15th January 2009, 11:35 PM
I only really race on Rapier and Phantom. Flash is just too slow for me.

Darkdrium777
15th January 2009, 11:40 PM
I've got to ask, what other site? :?

LOUDandPROUD
16th January 2009, 02:20 AM
Well, I don't discriminate against any of the speed classes, as I enjoy taking in the scenery in Venom and Flash, as well as testing my reflexes in Rapier and, more recently, Phantom (I'm just finally getting more comfortable there...with Goteki 45, no less!)...and you personally know I frequent Flash races, as I've beaten you there plenty. :P (more like the other way around...LOL)

Firedshot
16th January 2009, 06:59 AM
I've spoken to some of the top flash racers and they like the site but wont register because everyone's phantom. Which i know is not anyone's problem but thought it could be worth a mention.
I admit the reason i don't play phantom is because i started on flash and i like it so never moved up and i know some of the other guys are the same.

blackwiggle
16th January 2009, 07:49 AM
That's not really true, quite a few of the other newer members are racing rapier.

I mean if you had the guys that have played this game for years, on mass all jump in and played Flash or Venom....well I think the United Nations might try to put a stop to it foreseeing a massacre of the new players.

You have to bite the bullet eventually and race in the faster speeds,it's not that hard really,but it does take time,and your not going to get better if you stay racing in the same class.

And it not like people at this forum are big bad bullies that are going to payout on new racers,quite the reverse,we have all been there and done it as well,there has seldom if ever been any petty nastiness at this forum [I can't remember any]regarding peoples skill level,or any other topic for that matter.

Nearly every post at this forum is to talk about how to get the most out of the game,the information you read is just as relevant for the slower speeds in the majority of cases.

I think one of KAORI's Speed Lap challenges at Flash speed might be in order.
What do you guys think?

rushin
16th January 2009, 09:01 AM
I'd be really interested in doing some rapier races, but flash mostly feels like racing in slow motion.. Funny i remember well the first few days i was playing WO HD, trying out flash and thinking woooaahhh this is fast ;-)

welcome to the forum though!

chboing
16th January 2009, 09:37 AM
yeah ! come on FiredShot, play phantom !!
you cant imagine how pleasant the "perfect lap" voice sound in phantom ;)

cu soon mate !

kanar
16th January 2009, 09:58 AM
you cant imagine how pleasant the "perfect lap" voice sound in phantom ;)

exactly. What a feeling with the music, the speed... Rare moment of perfection. It's like an awesome reward, after hours of practice... I love this woman. Especially when she adds "new lap record" too!

okam
16th January 2009, 10:12 AM
I mostly race rapier atm but I do occasionally race flash if I see someone I know hosting. I'll soon be hitting the phantom races in elite campaign though, so I expect I'll move out of rapier when I have gotten my phantom groove on.

I'm sure if you set aside an evening/weekend for flash racing and announced it here, people would come join you though. I'd be happy to, if I'm free.

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 10:14 AM
it's just a pity she has a thing for pamming the word 'cannon' at me. i remember nearly bricking myself when i first raced phantom, now there's nothing like it. sometimes i try venom with my toes, it's almost as entertaining!

chboing
16th January 2009, 12:05 PM
yeldar !
it's time to organize the wipeout venon/flash SL toes contest.

a tv, a mirror, and you make the movie of your SL-Toes lap. Can be hard to use air brakes though ...

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 12:16 PM
brilliant idea. i may just give it a try. i'll try and get a split-screen of toes + screen going on perhaps. i find it (sometimes) works by setting the controls to default and sort of pushing the controller into the floor because the L2 and R2 triggers are quite big. rumble makes things even more interesting ;)

IH8YOU
16th January 2009, 12:28 PM
I never look down at Flash and Rapier - I actually enjoy those races as much as I do Phantom. Tactics and Weaponry play a much larger role in Flash - and it makes it all the more interesting. The downside, is the Flash rooms don't contain as many seasoned vets, but when you find one, its a good time.

I will say that Venom is taking it a little too far, but outside of that, I'm game for anything.

Firedshot
16th January 2009, 12:54 PM
When i said i like to race flash i ment i still race venom and rapier. I've also been doing speed laps on phatom as practice. My point some people don't like it. As for flash i'm aiming for a top 10 time on every track and there's 2 global records i'm sure i can beat lol i already hold 1 record and i'm top 10 in 4 others.

crawdad62
17th January 2009, 03:06 PM
I race them all. There's just not enough people on when I'm on to be picky. I tend to play Rapier if I have a choice but I'll play Venom or Phantom if that's all there is at any given time.

I'm not worth a :turd regardless of the class though so if you see me online you can work on your Assassin trophy:p

yeldar2097
17th January 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not worth a :turd regardless of the class though so if you see me online you can work on your Assassin trophy:p
classic. don't worry, i reckon even if i had unlimited plasmas and someone in an icarus gion critical i don't think i could eliminate them. i just don't have that killer instinct, neither do i have the capacity to aim ;)

Connavar
18th January 2009, 12:40 AM
I never look down at Flash and Rapier - I actually enjoy those races as much as I do Phantom. Tactics and Weaponry play a much larger role in Flash - and it makes it all the more interesting. The downside, is the Flash rooms don't contain as many seasoned vets, but when you find one, its a good time.

I will say that Venom is taking it a little too far, but outside of that, I'm game for anything.
same here, recently I had some nice venom tournaments even, was very enjoyable,
there were some good players too, was very close sometimes, then we also did
flash and rapier.

TheFrostE
18th January 2009, 05:19 AM
sorry fellas, i couldnt bring mself to race flash or venom any more, unless it was a big group of friends. years of racing phantom and zoning in pure, pulse and HD really pulled me away from slower speed class. ill have to agree with Kanar on this one, the music and voices and everything else just fit so well into a phantom race...try listening to pendulum or something in a venom race.....mmmmmmaybe not so much :p.

superpj1
22nd January 2009, 10:12 AM
I see alot of posts but can never figure out who race's what. I race Flash mostly and was wondering if anyone else does and if they want a race?
Hi Fireshot :P I also race Flash. Unfortunately for us, most players prefer Phantom ... sometimes I host a tournament, and after 2 or 3 races, people start leaving because they find it too slow, it's very discouraging :frown:

chboing
22nd January 2009, 11:12 AM
superpj1, go in the arena section, give a name to your tournament, tell us a date and a GMT time , and you'll be full for sure, i'll be the first one to try beeing available

;)

ProblemSolver
11th August 2009, 11:13 PM
The vast majority plays at Venom and Flash. It's pretty annoying that only
a few random server offers Phantom speed. My problem is that I suck at
sub-Phantom speed. Sometime I wanna crab my coffee but I get somehow
reminded that I'm actually in a race. xD Anyone? I get the feeling that one
can never go back once playing at Phantom speed and beyond. Oh dear!

Mr Phlanj
12th August 2009, 03:29 AM
When I'm at my mate steve's house (moosemanmike) we do like to do some venom/flash SL
(if theres no phantom games) because you can realy appreciate just how much u have to nail
it to get a decent time. and there are alot of sneaky BR in lower speeds; like in matropia forwards
after the mag strip, sideshifting right dureing the felthander onto the speed bad gives you air for a
BR and all of a sudden "OMG DID U SEE THAT!!". steve ended up with a top 20 time i think.

superpj1
12th August 2009, 03:46 AM
My problem is that I suck at sub-Phantom speed. Sometimes I wanna crab my coffee but I get somehow
reminded that I'm actually in a race.
lol :g

GreenPhazon
12th August 2009, 08:18 AM
I doubt anyone races only one particular speed class. I'm a flash/rapier racer myself, but mostly flash.

So yah, I race flash.

edit: w00t 200 posts

finngers
12th August 2009, 04:47 PM
I pretty much only play Phantom but as nobody is setting up Eliminator games in that speed sometimes I have to play rapier :mr-t

stinkleroy
12th August 2009, 05:06 PM
I can be found playing all speed classes, as I think it's important to enjoy this game from all aspects. Although I must admit when Vinny makes me play venom the races can be sleep enducing without getting a turbo...

But it takes skill and dedication to be good at any speed, or maybe it's just what you feel comfortable with. I've never felt comfortable with phantom, and although I'm a decent player it just seems to stress me out more than anything, and I could do with a bit less of that right now :p Rapier is where I feel most at home.

crawdad62
12th August 2009, 05:09 PM
Rapier is where I feel most at home.

Me too. As I said earlier I'll do any race class but Rapier just seems right. It's fast enough that I have to be paying attention but slow enough that I can still pilot my ship smoothly. I'm a wall banger in Phantom on some of the corners.

khnemu23
12th August 2009, 07:11 PM
I race in every speed class, but I prefer Rapier. It seems to be the perfect speed for me. Flash is okay, but I tend to find Venom a bit too slow/boring. I don't like racing at phantom because I find it is too hard to react quickly.

A typical phantom speed race for me is as follows:

3...2...1.. Go (boost)

*speed pad* *speed pad* *missed speed pad*

First turn perfect/ *speed pad* *weapon pick-up*

*Glances up* *wall scrape* wall scrape* *sideshift off the wall*

*speed pad* *wall scrape* *ping pong in a chicane**absorb weapon*

*Repeat until end of race*

Luillin
12th August 2009, 08:00 PM
Rapier and Phantom too, Flash and Venom are too slowww

PoliPino
12th August 2009, 09:07 PM
I'm mostly a Flash racer. Rapier if there aren't any Flash races going on.

I never get more than 1 hour to play at one time, so I don't get to practice too much on the faster speeds.

YouAreFubar
12th August 2009, 09:32 PM
I only really race slower than Rapier if Vinny or Stinkleroy are online racing at that speed. Apart from that ill be racing Phantom unless there isnt a room going online for people at that speed.

I used to be quite happy at Rapier when playing online, but i forced myself out of my comfort zone and after a bit of practice fell into Phantom quite easily. The stressful part gives way after a while.

LOUDandPROUD
13th August 2009, 05:07 PM
Who's Vinny? :?:

Aeroracer
13th August 2009, 05:23 PM
I only play phantom with pilot assist off.:dizzy:dizzy:dizzy:dizzy

Cant stand playing venom as it puts me into a boredom coma, never really tried the other speeds either.

But saying that there is still much skill required for venom as one slight mistake can cost dearly and also i think the stretegy with weapons is more paramount as they will turn the tide of battle very quickly.

YouAreFubar
13th August 2009, 09:14 PM
Vinnymonster. He registered on the forum briefly and made a few friends but hasnt been on here for a while.

superpj1
14th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Cant stand playing venom as it puts me into a boredom coma, never really tried the other speeds either.

For some people, venom = boring, for others venom = race relax with a can of coke on the table :beer ;) Personaly I find Venom very slow but I love Flash, for me it's not too slow, not too fast, just the perfect speed.

Lightlord
14th August 2009, 01:46 PM
Moved on from flash to rapier and play some phantom now and then need to get into it more though flash and venom feel too slow now for me to enjoy but i do agree though that weapons and tactics can have a larger roll in flash tournaments.

blackwiggle
14th August 2009, 01:59 PM
Get out of your comfort zone is the only way to end up mixing it with the elite pilots .

Super PJ1 & Lightlord are ready to make the jump I think after racing you guys online the other night in Rapier class.

NO point being a BIG fish in a small pond.

Take the jump into Phantom /assist off . :rock

The only difference between Rapier & Phantom is anticipation of the corners,just Air brake/steer earlier.

Aeroracer
14th August 2009, 02:16 PM
i am happy to be a small fish in the sea rather than a whale in a tea cup.

I started on phantom (pilot asist off) and ill finish in phantom.Its where all the real action is.:nod:nod

ingvildr
14th August 2009, 02:34 PM
I had since launch mostly been playing flash and rapier but now after a few days of playing phantom i couldn't go back, its a lot more exciting and rewarding.

All i did last night was vineta k over and over :), was so much fun trying to get the timings down.

Lance
14th August 2009, 02:34 PM
Get out of your comfort zone is the only way to end up mixing it with the elite pilots .

Unless, of course, your comfort zone iS mixing it up with the elite pilots. ;)

Alas... mine is ... not. :g

crawdad62
14th August 2009, 03:08 PM
.Its where all the real action is.:nod:nod

That's pretty presumptuous isn't it?

Aeroracer
14th August 2009, 03:12 PM
Im not presuming anything as i have tried all speed classes. Its my oppinion.

If its not yours i respect that too.:nod:nod

Lance
14th August 2009, 03:23 PM
I started on phantom (pilot asist off) and ill finish in phantom.Its where all the real action is.:nod:nod

Probably should have said "where all the real action is for me."
Makes all the difference between personal taste and incorrectly assumed universal fact. IMO. :D

jimsin
14th August 2009, 09:11 PM
I dont mind racing Flash, but whenever I'm doing it, I keep worrying that I'll get used to that speed, and start finding Phantom scary again - so I tend to stick with Phantom in the hope that one day it will feel like Flash does to me now.

Lightlord
15th August 2009, 12:01 AM
Heh never play with assist on its pointless and useless!

superpj1
15th August 2009, 04:53 PM
Moved on from flash to rapier and play some phantom now and then need to get into it more though flash and venom feel too slow now for me to enjoy
actually you find Flash slow because you moved to faster speeds ;) but I don't think it's that slow ...

SonicChaos
15th August 2009, 06:11 PM
I race Flash most of the time and Rapier when I'm feeling risky.

Motorsagmannen
17th August 2009, 11:48 AM
i race mostly rapier flash. but can have a go on venom and phantom to.
to me the game changes instantly when you change the speedclass. mostly in the rate of when i tactically use wepons. up to rapier you get enough time to carefully aim your arsenal on the straights while on phantom the straights woosh by too fast and only thing usefull forward is missile or quake beyond point blank range.
also the barrelrolls are trickier on the lower speedclasses.
so all in all it turns into a different game on the lower speeds compared to phantom.
not saying one is better than the other, but its clearly different in gameplay

SonicChaos
17th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Agreed, there is a huge difference. My main problem is turning too late.