PDA

View Full Version : Some tips please.

Jack
28th December 2008, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, New guy here. A freind of mine told me that this was the site to get some tips and tricks on wipeout HD. I need help getting to zone 75 and beating zico. I got up to 68 on moa therma. I just can't do the required barrel rolls to order to beat zico!I heard people saying anulpha pass for the zone but I can only get 50 - 56 on that. I have other problems but I'm sure no tip can solve my problems doing campaign on elite. My PSN name is BHK3 and I use Harimau.

mdhay
29th December 2008, 08:46 AM
Good to see you got over from LBPCentral, jack.:D

There's a few vids on youtube on how to beat Zico, but I can't link to that now.
Your online problems can easily be solved. Add some of the 'zoners after you get settled, and get in some Avalon races. There's no weapons there.:):D

H3avyM3tal
29th December 2008, 10:02 AM
You should check and post any questions here: thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5286).

I am sure many of us will be glad to offer any help needed :)
And welcome aboard!

yeldar2097
29th December 2008, 11:15 AM
with regards to beating zico, i think patience is the key. it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. the only real issue is the 3rd/4th barrel onto the raised section. just go round practising that, then try for a decent lap, other wise you just get frustrated when you ruin an otherwise zico-beating lap. i found it easier to do when using motion-sensing for the pitch. give that a try if you haven't already. if you get at high on the bank as possible before making the jump you shouldn't have too much trouble. just hit up youtube for it, there's lots of vids

i think most people find it easiest to do zone's on anulpha but i can't really say much about that because your PB on moa is better than mine on anulpha so...

my two cents ;)

Jack
31st December 2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you for the replys. So far zico is beatable its just I can't make that third barrel roll no matter what I do. Zone and elite are driving me nuts with the weapon pads finding it funny to just give shields and mines and forever stuck on zone 62...

Cerium
31st December 2008, 03:26 PM
I would worry about the Zone Zeus and Livery Liberation trophies last. Once you're ready to tackle them, start with Feisar, use it to 8000 loyalty points, then switch to whatever's next in line (since, as I'm sure you've noticed, all zone ships are identical). By the time you start getting close to having every skin unlocked, you'll probably have gotten to zone 75.

yeldar2097
31st December 2008, 04:57 PM
yeah doing things in the right order helps. i liberated my liveries going for ag assassin, i didn't actually get any kills though...

for the 3rd one (i assume you mean the one onto the upper section (it was my 4th)), just make sure you get as high/wide as possible for the jump. i pitched up with motion and switched to two fingers on the dpad for this until i got the hang of it. i also learned recently that you can do a 360 on the analog to BR (thanks connavar :))

Jack
1st January 2009, 12:20 AM
I would worry about the Zone Zeus and Livery Liberation trophies last. Once you're ready to tackle them, start with Feisar, use it to 8000 loyalty points, then switch to whatever's next in line (since, as I'm sure you've noticed, all zone ships are identical). By the time you start getting close to having every skin unlocked, you'll probably have gotten to zone 75.
8000 points? At least I know what I'm shooting for now, Thanks alot!:)

yeah doing things in the right order helps. i liberated my liveries going for ag assassin, i didn't actually get any kills though...

for the 3rd one (i assume you mean the one onto the upper section (it was my 4th)), just make sure you get as high/wide as possible for the jump. i pitched up with motion and switched to two fingers on the dpad for this until i got the hang of it. i also learned recently that you can do a 360 on the analog to BR (thanks connavar :))
I pitch up as high as I can with the motion and d-pad and I just usually get it then fly off(...) or JUST make it halfway. So far my time is 32.20 I think.

I'll just try to beat zico and do some online stuff first. Elite campaign is beyond hard so I'll just do that last. I just need to finish the last two campaigns and I'm done(don't know what it's called). I'll see if I can get a second controller for the 20 splitscreen races.

yeldar2097
1st January 2009, 04:07 AM
well if you stick at it you should get it eventually (he says). took me what felt like years to beat zico. i had controllers on rotation so they didn't take too much damage:)
i know i probably sound like a broken record at this point but just try practising getting the left-right-left (that one works more consistently on that bit for me) off as soon as you possibly can, then work on the landing. as soon as you can do that bit your on easy street.

the good thing about the campaign is that even on elite if you go slowly, so do they, so sometimes you can scab a win even from a poor race. expect many bombs on your nose though;)

Jack
2nd January 2009, 01:47 AM
I give up :frown: 300 or more laps and no zico, I hate barrel rolls!!! 2 days of just zone and no 75, just 62 and I can't even beat that! AI cheats in campaign. Im done, moving on to a different game...

leungbok
2nd January 2009, 08:44 AM
What a pity, this game has so much to offer than just some unrewarding trophies :frown:

Cerium
2nd January 2009, 08:53 AM
Agreed. Play online against some of the regulars around here for a while. Hell, after racing against the likes of Wellington, Wotan, etc., racing against the elite AI feels like a joke.

Besides, I'm one trophy away from getting platinum and not once have I ever gotten a comment or complement about it. And, try as I might, it's impossible to work into a decent pickup line (apparently girls don't care about PS3 trophies).

If trying to get the trophies isn't fun -- don't bother. There's nothing to gain by doing it other than a higher blood pressure and a waste of $20 by shelving an otherwise great game.

eLhabib
2nd January 2009, 09:55 AM
I give up :frown: 300 or more laps and no zico, I hate barrel rolls!!! 2 days of just zone and no 75, just 62 and I can't even beat that! AI cheats in campaign. Im done, moving on to a different game...

You'd be better than most (if not all) pilots here, if you got Zico in under 300 laps, got to Zone 75 in 2 days, and didn't have trouble fighting the elite AI. If you've only been playing this game since Christmas (just guessing here), give it some time. I've been playing it for over 3 months now, and I still haven't reached Zone 75. My advice is the same that Cerium gave you: forget about the stupid trophies, they don't mean sh*t. Go online and have some fun! (and there's lots to be had, I assure you)

And in case you haven't yet (again, just guessing) - turn off PA! ;)

yeldar2097
2nd January 2009, 10:46 AM
it probably took me more to beat zico if i'm honest with you, it took my neighbor several weeks.
and yes, the AI does pull bombs and mines out of it's arse when you're behind but when you get in front you're on easy street.
i agree with what the pros have said, trophies mean the square-root of f**k all, you don't get anything for it (except maybe bragging rights, but that's a bit rude now isn't it)
i hope you're not serious, don't drop it yet! i'll pay you not to.

Jack
2nd January 2009, 07:33 PM
Agreed. Play online against some of the regulars around here for a while. Hell, after racing against the likes of Wellington, Wotan, etc., racing against the elite AI feels like a joke.

Besides, I'm one trophy away from getting platinum and not once have I ever gotten a comment or complement about it. And, try as I might, it's impossible to work into a decent pickup line (apparently girls don't care about PS3 trophies).

If trying to get the trophies isn't fun -- don't bother. There's nothing to gain by doing it other than a higher blood pressure and a waste of $20 by shelving an otherwise great game.Ill try online then.

You'd be better than most (if not all) pilots here, if you got Zico in under 300 laps, got to Zone 75 in 2 days, and didn't have trouble fighting the elite AI. If you've only been playing this game since Christmas (just guessing here), give it some time. I've been playing it for over 3 months now, and I still haven't reached Zone 75. My advice is the same that Cerium gave you: forget about the stupid trophies, they don't mean sh*t. Go online and have some fun! (and there's lots to be had, I assure you)

And in case you haven't yet (again, just guessing) - turn off PA! ;)PA I used only once anyway. Ive been playing since it came out...trophies mean everything to me, even if it's just a tiny little picture, I MUST HAVE IT

it probably took me more to beat zico if i'm honest with you, it took my neighbor several weeks.
and yes, the AI does pull bombs and mines out of it's arse when you're behind but when you get in front you're on easy street.
i agree with what the pros have said, trophies mean the square-root of f**k all, you don't get anything for it (except maybe bragging rights, but that's a bit rude now isn't it)
i hope you're not serious, don't drop it yet! i'll pay you not to.
I just don't have the blood pressure for zone/zico.Im doing good in zone, suddenly I hit a certain number and start bouncing around everywhere. Zico...one barrel...and I just can't land it...it either goes halfway then stops or doesn't do anything at all.

The trophies is just...I can feel them in my grasp, just so close...so close..

Darkdrium777
3rd January 2009, 12:44 AM
I was stuck at Zone 69, like you for a while. Eventually I reached zone 75 after many attempts, in succession. (69-68-6x-...-75!!! And then I died :lol).

WipEout certainly isn't about giving up (Or else I think we would all be playing another game), so keep at it! You are really very close to those trophies ;)

Tips for Zone: stay between the coloured lines on the track, focus on those lines and you won't hit walls for long enough to get to 75.

Tips for Zico, master the three other barrel rolls, and then keep trying to beat it: one lap for preparation and one lap for the attempt, and keep doing it. Eventually you will land the barrel roll onto the bridge, and since you have done / will do the three others, you'll beat Zico. Also, assign motion control to pitch only, it is much easier to pitch the controller for up when jumping onto the bridge than pressing the arrows or the stick. ;)

yeldar2097
3rd January 2009, 12:46 AM
i had that issue with that BR. here are three ideas: get higher on the bank; watch the videos on youtube and copy them exactly; download a ghost and copy it's line(s).

i have the same issue with zone mode, i'll be close to 100% energy between 60-70, i'll make one mistake and half a lap later i'll be swearing my tits off at the telly. i'll get there eventually, so will you.

IH8YOU
3rd January 2009, 02:27 AM
Honestly, has anyone here beaten Zico WITHOUT advice from others, or seeing how-to videos online?

I made it a point to do just that, and it took me quite a while to figure out the necessary "tricks" required.

It was extremely frustrating for me, but it felt great once everything "clicked" (plan-wise), and then it was just a matter of having an absolute perfect lap. (which was a LOT harder than I anticipated)

Who else went this route?

eLhabib
3rd January 2009, 11:59 AM
Well I beat him before there were any tips or tutorial videos, but it was HARD WORK. And the line I used was quite different than the one shown in those tutorial videos - I only did 2 BRs, one onto the bridge (with turbo), and one coming down from the bridge onto the speedpad to the left. Of course, the lack of the first 2 BRs (like in the video) meant that the rest of the lap had to be absolutely tight, so it took me a crazy amount of laps! I had no idea about the earlier turbo and BR spot!

yeldar2097
3rd January 2009, 12:18 PM
i found out about the first 3 BR's by trying to do it. after multiple failed attempts i decided that the one onto the bridge was impossible. beating zico with 2 BR's?? shows how good i am, i had to do it with 5! then again i suppose that's why i had to watch the videos

SaturnReturn
5th January 2009, 01:05 AM
Another new guy here. (Hi all). I came to this site for the same reason as Jack. Was searching online for tips on Zone Zeus specifically.

I've got to zone 72/73 so many times it's starting to do my head in. Generally as soon as I get close I think I lose concentration and just start hitting walls all over the place. Today I got to zone 74 twice in a row, so hopefully I'll get there soon. I'm pretty sure it's just practice as I kind of plateaued at zone 68 ish for a while but kept at it and gradually improved. So yeah, I echo others' sentiments - if you really want the trophies, then stick at it. Good luck.

zeeZ
5th January 2009, 01:27 AM
Try playing without audio and cover parts of the UI that show your energy and zones. I know the craft still shows your energy left, but the faster it gets the less time I have to actually try and see how much there is.

That got me quite a boost, not enough, but getting there... Oh, and don't try too hard, trying to force it won't do you any good

ProblemSolver
5th January 2009, 03:29 AM
Today I got to zone 74 twice in a row, so hopefully I'll get there soon.

Enjoy that momenten when you hear that special voice upon reaching zone 75.
The metallic black/blue color-scheme is yaw-dropping. I tell you, you will die in
an instant. :)

Darkdrium777
5th January 2009, 03:53 AM
I tell you, you will die in
an instant. :)What happened to me haha :D I reached 75 on the finish line straight, paused, took pictures, unpaused, died :lol

ProblemSolver
5th January 2009, 04:06 AM
@Darkdrium777:

My feelings about reaching zone 75 for the first time was like this;

Ignition sequence start ... *piep*, *piep*, *piep*, *tzzz* ...

[SUBVENOM] ...
[VENOM] ...
[SUBFLASH] ...
[FLASH] ...
[SUBRAPIER] ...
[RAPIER] ...
[PHANTOM] ...
[SUPERPHANTOM] ...
[ZEN] ...
[SUPERZEN] ... smooth and steady ...
[SUBSONIC] ... all systems nominal ...
[MACH1] Zone 60 ... *nice*
[MACH1] Zone 61 ...
[MACH1] Zone 62 ... *feels good*
[MACH1] Zone 63 ...
[MACH1] Zone 64 ... encountering problems, unnecessary barrier hits ...
[MACH1] Zone 65 ... SUPERSONIC displayed, pulse goes up ...
[MACH1] Zone 66 ... barrier hit, barrier hit ...
[MACH1] Zone 67 ... problems ... *aargh*
[MACH1] Zone 68 ... *stabilize!*, *stabilize!*, *don't throw it away!*
[MACH1] Zone 69 ... stabilized ...
[MACH1] Zone 70 ... pulse stabilized ...
[MACH1] Zone 71 ... [zone 70 cleared] ... pulse goes up ...
[MACH1] Zone 72 ... barrier hit, barrier hit ...
[MACH1] Zone 73 ... *keep it up, dude!*, *KEEP IT UP!!!* ...
[MACH1] Zone 74 ... [energy critical, ding, ding, ding] ... *KEEP IT UP!!!* ...
[ding, ding, ding] ... *one more to go, c'mon!!!* ... [ding, ding, ding] ...

silence ...

[S U P E R S O N I C] Zone 75.

That was an awesome moment!

guillaume
5th January 2009, 07:42 AM
cover parts of the UI that show your energy and zones.
Do you mean taping the TV or is there an option to hide the HUD like there was in pulse? I didn't find one and thought it was too bad.

Laeke
5th January 2009, 11:11 AM
I am a very average (mediocre?) Zone pilot, but I'll give you my two cents though, even at the expense of looking like a fool!

- Relax: yeah I actually did one of my best scores as of yet (very average one, but the point is I did as good as what I can for the moment) while talking on the phone. Of course Zone requires focus, but being nervous doesn't help.
I think zeeZ suggestion of masking the HUD is basically the same idea: do not worry about that, the ship will blow up at some point no matter what, heh?

- Maybe it is painfully obvious, but I think it helps as some point to focus on the track lines and not the ship itself (if playing in the third person view). The two colored lines are very useful when you reach certain color schemes where walls are hard to distinguish from the background; and when speed starts to being harder to manage, sticking to the center of the track is the best way to avoid walls...

H3avyM3tal
5th January 2009, 12:15 PM
I did it at first without the music playing, and the second time I did with music and all its glory. Now, I barely play zone, but as you play more and get to know the kinks of every track and such, it will be easier to advance the zone.

Don't worry, it is VERY doable (atleast to 75).

zeeZ
5th January 2009, 12:36 PM
Do you mean taping the TV or is there an option to hide the HUD like there was in pulse? I didn't find one and thought it was too bad.

Well, I'm forced to play on a SD CRT most of the time, so I can just put tiny pieces of paper on it and it magically sticks. I use the Wip3out skin. Energy bar at the top is very tough to read, and zones are just displayed in a small area in the bottom left corner, so you could just put a book or a jar of cookies or something in front of your tv

yeldar2097
5th January 2009, 01:31 PM
do people find it's easier when you're comfortable or uncomfortable. for some reason i got my best score when there was a hapless 5 year old intermittently walzing in front of the tv, as well as my brother's gf screaming at me to do better because she liked the pretty colours.
on my own, nice and relaxed, i can't get anywhere near that score :(

Darkdrium777
5th January 2009, 05:16 PM
as well as my brother's gf screaming at me to do better because she liked the pretty colours.:lol
Tell her to try, she might just be able to get you the trophy :D Tell her there's the best colour on Zone 75 ;)

yeldar2097
5th January 2009, 08:18 PM
she insisted that she try, i didn't have to tell her! after 30mins of histrionics, zone 14. she wasn't happy.

i finally made it to the summit of the Mt Olympus of zoneworld today! crikey i'm chuffed.
it's a shame i took a picture, the post-unpause wasn't pretty. 75 is very pretty though.

all this points to keep going! --------->keep going
told you so:)
turning sfx off helped a lot. actually, i forgot to turn it back on an my online racing was better by miles. i think i'll keep it like this...

Jack
7th January 2009, 12:42 AM
Ladies and gentleman good evening
You've seen and seeing is believing
Your ears and your eyes will be bleeding
Please check to see if your still breathing

Againsts gods will...I DID IT. I AM A ZONE ZUES. I almost had NO damage when I hit 70...but then I accidentally BR'd and started crashing everywhere, the very second it hit 75, I died. Funny thing is, I haven't played it in like 3 days.

Now onto zico...and arcade perfect...and campaign legend...*cries*

Im so happy I made it...
---
I apologise for the double post BUT I JUST BEAT ZICO.

BEST.DAY.EVER.

Darkdrium777
7th January 2009, 01:40 AM
Lol Good job :+ :lol

SaturnReturn
8th January 2009, 09:51 PM
Enjoy that momenten when you hear that special voice upon reaching zone 75.
The metallic black/blue color-scheme is yaw-dropping. I tell you, you will die in
an instant. :)

Thanks for the encouragement :+

Againsts gods will...I DID IT. I AM A ZONE ZUES.

i finally made it to the summit of the Mt Olympus of zoneworld today! crikey i'm chuffed.

Am I the only one left that posted in this topic and hasn't done Zone Zeus yet? I had not tried this week because I've been too tired at work and find Zone so draining. But seeing all this encouragement - how could I not try again...and guess what? I got a new high score :D, but no Zeus :( Only 73. If there were an award for closest, most frequent failure I reckon I'd win it. Still, by this time next week, mark my words, that trophy will be mine.

EDIT:
OMG!OMG!OMG! I Did it too. Didn't get long enough to experience supersonic properly but for that brief moment it was awesome. Thanks yeldar and Jack for achieving the trophy - if I hadn't read your posts I probably wouldn't have bothered for a while. And well done to you both. Woohoo! It feels so good.

ProblemSolver
9th January 2009, 04:55 AM
Well done! :clap What was your feeling upon entering zone 75? :)

SaturnReturn
9th January 2009, 11:47 AM
For me my first thought was, "hmm, photo or points?", knowing full well that if i stopped to take a picture then when I returned I would instantly smack the wall. I went for the points hoping to boost me up the leaderboard a bit. I should have taken a photo, because I only lasted a few seconds and I'm so far down the leaderboard anyway.

I feel like I cheated a bit because I turned of music and sfx. So I shall keep practising with the hope of enjoying supersonic in its full glory. For the moment I just wanted that trophy as I've been trying so long.

yeldar2097
10th January 2009, 08:47 PM
well done chaps, good job all round!
i love how right problemsolver was when he said i'd die in an instant. i crashed and i nearly had a heart attack i was so excited.
it's such an awsome feeling, and sight to boot.
it's all about collaboration (of sorts). let's hope we inspire others!