PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Redshift Review at gamespot

Hydra XL
11th September 2002, 01:27 AM
www.gamespot.com

seems like the review was kinda harsh in some ways, but i guess one'd hav to play it to really kno. release date 9/16; don't kno about any one else but that's sooner than i thought it was going to b. goin by the screenshots it looks kickass, if a little cornballish (mostly to do w/ the characters and ship design)

Nick Burcombe
11th September 2002, 09:17 AM
....and yet a magazine has given it 9/10?!

Can't please all the people all the time eh?

I'll be more interesting to us see what the average of all reviews come out as.

7.1 is not a disaster, perhaps just a touch unfair though. :)

Make you're own minds up (I know you will anyway), these things are so subjective.

Nick

Sven
11th September 2002, 08:42 PM
Fusion got 7.3 on gamespot, and 9/10 on gamers.com

Nick Burcombe
12th September 2002, 09:29 AM
My point exactly ;)

JABBERJAW
12th September 2002, 11:59 AM
Didn't gamespot say it is nothing we haven't seen before or something like that? Maybe they should go back and play wipeout,f-zero ect. sure it is a futuristic racer, but not exactly like the others. Then they have the cohones(if that is how you spell it) to give games like madden and nfl2k3 scores of around 9. Excuse me, but isn't this almost exactly the same game as I played last year. Maybe they should just say they don't like futuristic racers anymore, or we only rate popular games high, kinda like EGM. Speaking of EGM, don't expect high scores from them Nick, you'll get between 7-8, with either a 8.5 or a 6.5 added in. My guess is a 7.3 average from them. Other mags will give it justice though, like gameinformer, any x-box mag, play, or gamefan. Unfortunately lots of people read EGM. I am not saying madden or nfl2k3 is a bad game, they are excellent games, but if they were really reviewing by what they say, they would get around a 4 or a 5 out of 10 by now.

Nick Burcombe
12th September 2002, 12:06 PM
Not really too bothered by reviews - I know I want loads of people to buy it, but generally people find more in the games they buy than ANY reviewer. Look at this forum for a perfect example of why we do what we do. Having a group of hardcore fans is great and makes it worthwhile. Selling lots and lots, well obviously that'd be nice, but a lot of niche genre games sell on word of mouth. Most people I know who consider themselves gamer - don't trust too many reviewers because of the time scales reviewers actually get to play the games and you know as well as I that a game bought is more seriously approached than a game given.

Nick

Hydra XL
19th September 2002, 12:34 AM
well it's out, i've played it and i must admit i'm not entirely too satisfied w/ this game. graphically the game is quite stunning w/ only minor shortcomings; it will impress. But the whole feel of the game lacks the responsive carve of wipeout and incessant turbo use is the only thing that allows u to climb or hover. Feels somewhat too slippery and the omission of air brakes replaced by a powerslide toggle button only contributes to that feel. Perhaps all these problems will dissipate somewhat w/ further progress into the game, but one thing that will remain is the tacky rivalries (works better on the racetrack then in the cutscenes) between characters and the oddish (odd as in not so good) ship design. May b this game was meant to come off as more "pop" and take a trendier, arcade-like approach, but it seems to lack depth and character in its own right.
however it's definetely worth a look and there are some interesting things going for it, as u can carry/dispense a shield, homing and non homing weapon all at once and quite a number of ships and tracks look to be available. altho i never played it i'd imagine Hyperzone(?) to b similar to this game

AmishRobot
19th September 2002, 04:29 AM
Not sure what you mean by powerslide toggle button... do you mean similar to a handbrake?

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until early next year to pick up an xbox... Spending your tax return six months early generally isn't a good idea. ;) I need to save up money right now, so I can move out of this godforsaken place where I live.

Hydra, what are the weapons like? They sound rather simplistic to me. How do they replenish? Can you double them up like in Rollcage? (one of the coolest things about that game, IMO) It seems like there wouldn't be a lot of strategy involved in weapon use. What's your impression?

Nick Burcombe
19th September 2002, 10:16 AM
That's fair enough Hyrda. Obviously out of all the people in the world hardest to convince will be the dedicated Wipers. LOL

Regarding the airbrake/powerslide, having 2 shoulder buttons means you have to approach the control system in a totally different way. Takes a little time to get used to it (especially "unlearning" what you already know), but we think it's the best option available and all user feedback said they liked it. ;)

The characters and their actually role in the game was literally to just give it a beat'em'up style structure and feel. Racing is still what the game is about, the dialogue and characters etc, are just a little bit of fun on top. I think it's better than the disassociated heads in WOF (IMHO). <Ziiiippp-flame proof suit goes on> LOL.

Regarding the "pop" and arcade... the idea is that we're not selling lifestyle and fashion or trendiness - just a clean straight forward video game. We're not promoting an over priced design house either (who, BTW, on Wipeout ended up with a fantastic reputation because they had "designed" wipeout - hardly. A few fonts and logos doth not a game make). :o

Anyway - I hope it grows on you and that the higher levels and subtleties satisfy at a later date. :)

Nick

Amish, the weapons are split into catagories, Homing, Shield, Non-homing - each charatcer has different weaopns, although for the sake of fairness in the multiplayer sessions, they are equally balanced. Around the track, there are Red Bed and Yellow pickups (aswell as mega-ups and powerchips). Picking up a red pickup gives you level one red - a basic homing missile. Blue - non homing and Yellow, a shield. After winning some races you can upgrade the level of weapon available, but you have to upgrade in a sequence. Eventually you can have access to red "homing" levels 1,2 and 3, yellow shields 1,2 and 3, and blue non-homing 1,2 and 3. To power them up you have to pick up more of the same colour. But you can power them up individually and fire them off individually. Collecting 3 or each colour (once you've actually got access to all the powerup levels) and then one more gives you a special - which are all quite devestating. The strategy in the weapons comes into play more at the top levels and you'll find that Shields tend to be some of the most important pick ups you'll need.

Nick

Hydra XL
20th September 2002, 01:56 AM
playd it some more...

definetely grows a bit, but altogether quite a depature from wipeout... diff thrust, turbo usage is required to b successful in a race, less climb loftiness, and the weapons sys., while a tad simplistic, still works as u find urself building up individual levels of either shield, homing or non-homing and still in pursuit for weapon pickups to earn cash to upgrade. The speed is definitely there and there's also more freedom than the w'o" series (incl. fusion) w/ wider tracks, various terrain and diff paths. But still there's less of a complete feeling than w'o" somehow... everythings looser and i often feel as tho' i've lucked out in certain races. a .. erh... bouncy feeling off natural walls and guard rails makes the game a bit easier in some spots than it should b. granted, rippin w'o" for everything it's worth should never b a developers intention and so this is a nice effort and a welcome addition to xbox's lacking library. but w'o" (minus fusion) is a die hard game series, and this game lags a bit behind it.

cheer's nick... but i think we all want to see u resurrect wipeout the way it was meant to b

ps. i feel like an asshole for whining like this in parts; no game develepor am I :roll:

wipeoutfan2
20th September 2002, 02:24 AM
Wipeout owns Quantum Redshift forever!
8)

Wamdue
20th September 2002, 07:11 AM
from what Ive seen in the videos, the game looks like its really fun, and requires skill.. Is it out in Europe?

Nick Burcombe
20th September 2002, 10:48 AM
>is it out in Europe

Not until 4th of October

Nick

Synthetic Consciousness
20th September 2002, 11:18 AM
I downloaded the video from Nick's page...looks tasty. But the proof will be in the pudding. :) I hope I'll get to play an in-store demo, at least.

[A few fonts and logos doth not a game make] True, and they didn't design the game. I have no idea why people started to believe this...probably because it's in their name. :roll: Although I will say that the font used to make the original WipEout logo was the bee's knees. Very stylish...practically screamed "rave". 8) The logos were nice, too...if a bit overdone in Wip3out...simple in style, but plastered everywhere. I would have rather they were shown in a few places here and there. It's supposed to be a stark, no-nosense future, right? :P