PDA

View Full Version : Are highscores reliable ?

superpj1
26th December 2008, 08:20 PM
Hi all !

I'm wondering if highscores are reliable ...

In Speed Lap mode, there is someone who owns the world record of almost all races in Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom (!) which is truly unbelievable. But the same guy barely appears on any other rankings (multiplayer, etc.). How is it possible ? Unless the guy spends days and nights playing SOLELY Speeds Lap and no other mode, which I can't believe.

Are there known issues of fake highscores in Wipeout HD ?

Rubix42
26th December 2008, 08:43 PM
No known issues, but most of the guys who own the top scores frequent this board, and yes, they are very fast and practice SL and TT often.

superpj1
27th December 2008, 12:14 AM
Frankly I doubt that only one man can own nearly all the Sleep Lap records of Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom. He must be exploiting some glitches and that would explain why his results are so low on the other race modes (it's easier when you have 99 laps to try). Some results are insane :? take for example the world record in Vineta K reverse / Venom >>> 0:26:14 seconds, ie 2 SECONDS faster than the second best time in the world (0:28:26). Venom being the slowest, top scores should be close but they're not !

I think the ghost race should be sent to Studio Liverpool everytime a world record is broken to check whether it's real or not :naughty

djKyoto
27th December 2008, 12:30 AM
Must be talking about FJ's times.

I think all his lap times are legit, he's pretty nuts.

Connavar
27th December 2008, 04:10 AM
I disagree about almost everything, first if someone is really good at the game,
he's probably really good in all classes and all tracks, so it would be logical
to have the best player(s) on top of everything.

Also you say the gaps should be wider on phantom than venom, I disagree, because
venom is much slower, a Barrel Roll would have that much more impact, hence
increasing the gaps.

pirahpac
27th December 2008, 04:17 AM
Must be talking about FJ's times.

I think all his lap times are legit, he's pretty nuts.

ALL his lap times are legit: i beat him on chengou ..wellinton beat him on reverse..im just near lot of his record ..end..

blackwiggle
27th December 2008, 09:17 AM
Who is FJ?
I must of missed something,but I can't see what it was.:donut

stin
27th December 2008, 09:29 AM
Flashback Jack

stevie;)

kanar
27th December 2008, 10:46 AM
flashback is one of the best wiper in the world. try the search button, he was member here.

chboing
27th December 2008, 11:49 AM
Frankly I doubt that only one man can own nearly all the Sleep Lap records of Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom. He must be exploiting some glitches and that would explain why his results are so low on the other race modes (it's easier when you have 99 laps to try). Some results are insane :? take for example the world record in Vineta K reverse / Venom >>> 0:26:14 seconds, ie 2 SECONDS faster than the second best time in the world (0:28:26). Venom being the slowest, top scores should be close but they're not !

I think the ghost race should be sent to Studio Liverpool everytime a world record is broken to check whether it's real or not :naughty

+, he usually does not have a ps3 connection to internet, so he just doesnt play multiplayer often, that's all.
He's just very very good, and plays much more than anybody here i think :)

superpj1
27th December 2008, 12:08 PM
flashback is one of the best wiper in the world. try the search button, he was member here.
lol I even see he was banned :! everybody seems to agree that his lap times are not fake, so I'm impressed. Is he so good on multiplayer (when he's connected) ?

Wellington86
27th December 2008, 01:00 PM
It's just worth adding that the reason he is often seconds ahead on the lower speed classes is that no-one really contests them. It's only on Phantom where proper competition takes place, and as pirhapac has said, he is very close to FbJ on almost every track.

blackwiggle
27th December 2008, 01:41 PM
That was one of my points regarding FBJ the BR king [his rather abrupt views on that topic what got him barred] vis AH QUADZILLA's times.
How could the times differ by so much if there are only 1 place to BR on a course?
And FBJ was 4 sec behind?
Doesn't work out.

If anybody could explain it to me I'm all ears.

Seems SL thought it was strange as well and decided to take action.

kanar
27th December 2008, 01:54 PM
quadzilla was maybe deleted for inactivity -weird- flash success is only due to excessive practicing LOL

superpj1
27th December 2008, 09:51 PM
It's just worth adding that the reason he is often seconds ahead on the lower speed classes is that no-one really contests them. It's only on Phantom where proper competition takes place, and as pirhapac has said, he is very close to FbJ on almost every track.

I think people should contest the lower classes. It's not fun to see the same guy dominate almost every SL track. He looks invincible.

RJ O'Connell
27th December 2008, 10:18 PM
lol I even see [Flashback Jack] was banned everybody seems to agree that his lap times are not fake, so I'm impressed. Is he so good on multiplayer (when he's connected) ?
Rapier Racer, also a long-time member here, said otherwise.

It is a shame that -F is no longer a member here. I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion given the way he, well, the circumstances of why he was banned - but I think it's bad for the community when the top pilots in the world are dis-jointed like this, but, I don't set the rules here, I sure as s*** don't enforce them, and I can't make him and the people running this site come to accept what appears to be irreconcilable differences.

As for his top times...I give up. Something's in the maple syrup in Toronto that gives him amazing reflexes. :o

superpj1
27th December 2008, 10:36 PM
I hope he doesn't use drugs !

blackwiggle
28th December 2008, 08:17 PM
I think people are slowly putting in the laps on the different tracks in the slower classes,I agree that apart from the records for the Zico trophy a lot of tracks have very few times recorded for them.
I went through the game and posted a SL and TT times for each track/class,mainly in case SL bring out a player ranking system based on all times achieved over all tracks/classes.
Still to do any Zone times for the reverse tracks,not really a zone fan like Wellington and Problemsolver with 50+ zones recorded for every track,the mind boggles.:dizzy

Laeke
2nd January 2009, 12:03 PM
blackwiggle I was thinking about this "added" time for all TT and SL... But it would require that people would have times on all tracks, which brings me to the question I had this morning.

I was doing some SL sessions on Reverse track because I barely know them and it is a major problem for me online if I want to really compete. On all of them [Flash speed] (except Sol2 that I didn't race), I managed to rank in the top 150-200 minimum, if not in the top 70. No way I am that "good", especially since my laps were nothing special (boost in, boost out, at best) which of course brings me to the conclusion that very few people are actually SLing or TTing those tracks (which makes sens: they are not in the campaign)

I think the leaderboards are "reliable" as far as glitching, bugs and "cheating" goes (a few things here and there), however the "perspective" changes from track to track, as the opposition can vary greatly. Anulpha Pass [Forward & Venom] has a very dense leaderboard because of the Beat Zico. What if all tracks had this kind of incentives? Would I rank as high?

blackwiggle
2nd January 2009, 12:29 PM
Probably not,but if you don't play them you don't have a ranking,and the more you play them the faster you will get at them,and of course your ranking will rise.
If SL does implement a ranking system based on all speed all tracks, you'll be way in front of the vast majority of other racers that haven't bothered.

Put it this way,it sure can't hurt playing in the slower speeds,you REALLY learn where all the bumps,dips and rises on every track are.
You also learn how close you can get to corners without hitting the side walls [major part of shaving seconds off your lap times] and how and where to side shift rather than dabbing on the air brakes.
Get that right one the slower speeds and watch your name zoom up the rankings to the top 40-50,consistency over 3 laps is easier than over 5.
All these things differ at different speeds, so it teaches you how to anticipate things in a manner that you wouldn't if you just raced solely in Rapier or Phantom.

leungbok
2nd January 2009, 03:45 PM
You can download some Flashback jack's ghosts on the website www.wipEoutHD-ghosts.com , just try to follow one and look if its behaviour is weird (freakin' fast i'm sure ;))

Task
2nd January 2009, 09:13 PM
Unless the guy spends days and nights playing SOLELY Speeds Lap and no other mode, which I can't believe.
8 D Yup, that's him alright!
The guy loves Speed Lap. He will race a track until he knows every curve and bump. He'd be online more, but he doesn't have a reliable internet connection.

Laeke: Indeed, there is a long history of certain tracks being more hotly contested than others. Typically the first track is the one that most people will try for a record on. Later tracks get a lot less attention. Sometimes you'll even have tracks that almost nobody will play. So with a bit of effort, you can almost always find some leaderboard that you can be on top on!

superpj1
6th January 2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the link leungbok :+

I can see that SL is being more and more contested, in Phantom speed at least, because fj's records are slowing being beaten one by one. Competition is getting exciting !

pirahpac
7th January 2009, 07:57 AM
lol dont worry for fbj..22 days no connected..so when he will connect..u will see lot of new record ( like a 19.01 on ubermall)

kanar
7th January 2009, 08:28 AM
Pirahpac & Mike, you guys are f*****g crazy. This competition is now insane. I'll probably give up soon in my desperate search of perfection. LOL

superpj1
18th January 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm starting to put a few TOP10 times on Venom and Flash :redface: like #5 on AnulphaPass Reverse / Flash :+ I've noticed it's virtually impossible to beat the world record on some tracks unless you interact with the landscape to make additionnal barrel rolls so sometimes you need luck more than skill :frown:

Darxinus has beaten fj's record on AnulphaPass Venom ! :eek RESPECT !

Connavar
18th January 2009, 10:52 PM
Congrats to you, I noticed you got a lot better recently
(we did some races together), keep playing!

superpj1
18th January 2009, 10:58 PM
hehe I remember you were the one who was beating me over and over again :P

stinkleroy
20th January 2009, 01:21 AM
Can anyone tell me why the 'in game' records section problem hasn't been fixed? My last recorded time on most of the tracks was months ago according to the global stats and friend stats....they're just not up to date. The only time you get a true reading is when playing an online race, but there often isn't time to check as it takes so long to load. For instance I posted a really good time on Moa Therma Rapier the other day, but was in a tournament so couldn't see where I placed globally. I haven't been able to see it ever since as I've not been able to repeat it.

Are SL aware of the problem? Is a patch coming? Sorry but it's driving me mad! :lol