PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout 64 Review - Possibly the worst I've seen.

RJ O'Connell
24th December 2008, 07:17 PM
Click if you dare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dZK6UMQzw)

I don't know if this is a troll, if they're being serious or what, but....I can't even watch this video without wanting to find where these two live and beating them over the head with a cricket bat.

It's bad enough that they aren't even trying to play the game, but it's just 7 minutes of "LOL wut a stupid game" and, quite possibly, this has been the worst seven minutes of my life.

Wipeout 64 isn't the best game ever made, but this is just insulting.

BARTgai
25th December 2008, 03:40 AM
That's a review? More like two kids whining about they fact they don't know how to play the game.

RJ O'Connell
25th December 2008, 04:25 PM
That's exactly my point.

James Rolfe can rip into games effectively because the games he reviews are geniunely piss-awful and he can explain why they are.

But when it's just two people whining about how bad it is because they can't play it, then all credibility is lost.

Axel
25th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Pathetic, man I totally loved this game. This is what got me to really know what WO was all about. Stupid losers,

Darkdrium777
25th December 2008, 10:24 PM
64 is a very good game from what little I've played. Stems from 2097, and it's a good showing on the 64. These are just trolls. If I could I'd rate them */***** again with this IP, but I'm on 56K for the evening so I don't do video (Only WZ because it's optimized for 56K, GJ Rob ;))

Asayyeah
1st January 2009, 12:18 AM
6 rated it ... 1 star :g

Avenger2197
1st January 2009, 03:07 AM
All I can say is "Did you read the manual??" I watched this with disgust and played 64 out of spite for these lowlifes trashing a game they knew nothing about. Also, why review a game that has been out for, oh....10 years now? Yeah, 64 isn't the greatest by any means, but it is still better than mariokart64 by miles. grrr

\rant

multibodydynamics
8th January 2009, 12:51 AM
Everything is in order... These two suckers can play their lame Mario Kart, and we can continue to play our cool Wipeout. Stop picking on Wipeout otherwise I´ll fry that Mario with my jet engine... :evil

DawnFireDragoon
17th January 2009, 09:52 PM
sigh...why did i click that link.

damn my curiosity!

abukii
24th January 2009, 01:20 PM
My gods...that was easily the most annoying 7 minutes of my life...

Oh, and "the music is horrible"...riiiight:turd

Id have to say that some MILLIONS of people tend to disagree that the Propellar Heads suck :naughty

Well...Ol' Davy Crocker123u84776816 got a poor score and an equally bitter comment.

Velocitar64
4th March 2009, 08:00 PM
What losers. They make no valid points and diss probably my favourite wipeout game.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZ0p6k-Ols&feature=related Heres another hater, who goes to the extremes of spitting on the cartridge and throwing it on the floor and hating it when he didn't even finish one race. Loser.

djKyoto
30th March 2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47072.html

Darkdrium777
31st March 2009, 03:28 AM
Wow he actually mentioned two points about the actual game in this review. I hope he doesn't expect to be taken seriously.

Track rehashes-> agrees, but then they're still playing differently than on PS1. Similar track design, but complete copy not really.
Weapon symbols-> hmmm no that's just you sorry. That's why there's a manual.
Plays like ****-> again, just you. Moot point.
Everything looks like So'Cal-> Really? I suppose Velocitar looks like So'Cal as well. Or Qoron IV. Oh well, fail again.
Main menu-> waaaaaaiiit, so you're crying because it says "Single Race" instead of "Campaign" or "League"? Nuff said.

And then there's the inevitable comparison with F-Zero. God people are so stupid. F-Zero != Wipeout, can't say it enough times because there's always a twat somewhere hiding under a rock. Occasionally this twat has a reviewer spot at GameTrailers.

zargz
31st March 2009, 06:20 AM
Clicked on the link in the first post and got - "This video has been removed by the user. "

Wonder why. :D

Darkdrium777
31st March 2009, 08:41 AM
What I think about Game Trailers?

They're really living under a rock. (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5184.html)

Enough said.

G'Kyl
31st March 2009, 12:44 PM
I actually believe, the GT guy might have understood the game a lot better if someone had told him about airbrakes... ah, well.

Ben

Echthroi
2nd April 2009, 02:31 PM
Wow, haha. I loved wipeout 64. I played it WAYYYYYY more than Mariokart. Wipeout 64 was so fast, too! My friend Colby and I would play eachother every weekend when we were younger. =]

It was like 3...2...1...Go...

"AHHHHHH!HOLY :turd"

:lol

Velocitar64
4th April 2009, 09:32 PM
I play it all the time. Always Phantom.

Phantom = Win!

XBARNSTERX
4th May 2009, 06:03 AM
wipeout 64 rules, id only ever played wipeout 2097 till hd came out. Decided to check out the others. Being used to hd i found them extremely hard, then i started getting used to it and couldnt put it down WOW.

Velocitar64
6th May 2009, 06:34 PM
Wipeout 64 was my first WipeOut game, and still is one of my favourites.

Axel
13th May 2009, 03:12 PM
Amen to that, first WO game i owned but boy did I play the hell out of it. My cartridge eventually died because I played it too much. Still a instant classic in my eyes :)

Velocitar64
15th May 2009, 10:05 PM
Mine still lives, and is used daily ;)

Pico de Goroh
20th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Just bought a new copy from Game Quest Direct the other day.

After playing wipeout 3 for a few months and now this... I think I might like wipeout more than f-zero.

Velocitar64
20th May 2009, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. It's a better futuristic racing game. They're both as fun as eachother, but Wipeout64 is far more advanced.

Avenger2197
21st May 2009, 02:44 AM
Advanced would be a good way of describing WO64, but only if the weapons were even across the board. That was it's one downside in that first place robbed you of turbos, quakes, and bombs to blow away the lapped racers who have a knack at firing at you even though you lapped them.

Otherwise, WO64 rocks!:rock:rock:rock

'Nuff said!

Pico de Goroh
21st May 2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah that whole lapping thing messed me up in the weapons missions. In wipeout 3 I would hang out at the back of the back and take out cars as I moved up. You won't make the check points if you do that in this game.

By the way, what am I supposed to call the vehicles anyway? I know its not cars.

jan709
21st May 2009, 04:07 PM
i tried to watch it but it said ´video removed by user´

Velocitar64
24th May 2009, 02:10 PM
He removed it!

VICTORY!

Darkdrium777
24th May 2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah it's been that way for some time.

Velocitar64
2nd June 2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, well, good.

F.E.I.S.A.R
15th October 2009, 08:08 AM
What losers. They make no valid points and diss probably my favourite wipeout game.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZ0p6k-Ols&feature=related Heres another hater, who goes to the extremes of spitting on the cartridge and throwing it on the floor and hating it when he didn't even finish one race. Loser.

I don't know,but should we make a review as a counter-attack?Some say that WipEout "2098"(WipEout 64) is a "Mini-League" series. Is that why the ships were similar and that the tracks were almost similar?(I got this info from an online guide)I think that explains the menu of not having "tournament" or "campaign" and having "challenges" instead.

Slacker
15th October 2009, 06:35 PM
I just about peed my pants reading fredfredburgerdude's respose to the hammerfist101 WO64 review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZ0p6k-Ols).

F.E.I.S.A.R
16th October 2009, 10:53 AM
I felt like wanting to type"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WipEout does not suck.It is YOU(the reviewer) that suck!" when I see such videos.
I saw that a reviewer said Auricom as "whatever that means" and AG-Systems as "this little guy"(The duo review).They also did not use the airbrakes!They just crashed out!
Even when I first played WipEout 2097 on the Sega Saturn,I was in love with the game,although I was only five to six years old and did not really know about how to play the game.
WTF?
I feel like wanting to make a positive review about WipEout 64,but I have fears of people saying "that I have no life and should get one".

Slacker
26th November 2009, 08:14 PM
Why are you afraid? They're the ones who need lives. Make that video.

Look, an INTELLIGENT review of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMfFNP2ycc

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th November 2009, 01:16 PM
Problem is,mine is the emulated one.
I dunno,if I can really play it on the emulator,it can be really played on the real console?

abukii
6th December 2009, 11:50 PM
Well, I imagine youll loose some of the original feel of the game, but Im also sure its playable on pc too. Make a review here on the emulation?

AG-wolf
7th December 2009, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately no emulator really gets the game perfect; there's either really bad pop-up, or the background textures don't stretch/scale right... it's still playable, but the N64 really is the way to go. The only benefit of doing it in an emulator would be high-res graphics.

I was thinking of sitting down and doing a review of the game, but I can't be bothered to record clips and cut and splice and all that happy-horsesh*t, so instead maybe I'll just record playthroughs of each track like I did on XL ...I do have a whole month break from school starting this week, so maybe it'll give me something to do :D

EDIT: also, that fat kid on youtube is either a troll or a retard, he doesn't even like Mario Kart 64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1tGgVenx0

F.E.I.S.A.R
9th December 2009, 03:11 PM
I like your point on the comment(although I thought I saw WAY more comments)
I feel that the fat teenager(?) uses a poor quality microphone(allthough I heard that he said(or something to that sense) :"All happy about it.It sucks!This game has no selector!It is just race!"
I beg to differ.I played it before on project64(the emu) before and guess what?There was a selector!
That fat person also said during the WipEout 64 review:"Let's hope that I don't die."
This is a reply to the fat guy:"I hope that you ARE happy that you did not die,you *bleep*(censored to protect young minds and because I could not think about any word to describe him)"

Slacker
10th December 2009, 11:08 PM
That wuss Hammerfist101 is deleting comments now. Guess he just couldn't think up any good come backs, eh?

Tom the Hedgehog's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtm1YaIn8Y) review. Just as stupid as the others, but glad to see fredfredburgerdude is still on the offensive.

OneAVGNFan
20th January 2010, 05:11 PM
Wo64 overall ages the worst of the series. all are decent at least.
Why no tournament in the game?
The graphics sucked because 1. it made the locations look bland and 2. it was outdated by WO3 coming out the same year. So why couldnt the game had graphics from WO3?
Those graphics are awesome on the PSone/Saturn, but it doesn't look natural on the 64.
Why couldn't the game have more original levels instead of mirrored remakes?
The game's decent, but it is the most flawed of the entire series.

P.S: I found a Video Game Vault on ScrewAttack on this game. Don't know if anyone else saw it or has it.

http://screwattack.com/videos/VGV-Wipeout-64

Dan Locke
20th January 2010, 05:55 PM
If anybody wants to see the video that started this thread, it's here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SGlEjyMU70s).

Not that you'd want to, but I thought that it should be posted for completeness's sake.

There used to be a billion angry comments, but the buttwipes who made the video deleted them.

G'Kyl
21st January 2010, 11:32 AM
OneAVGNFan, I wholeheartedly disagree. :) I think you're right about some issues that can't be overlooked. However, I always considered WO64 sort of a sidekick to 2097, and as such it does very well to hold its own.

Why no tournament in the game?
Correct. But for some reason I never quite missed the less then spectacular tournaments from 1, 2097 or 3.

The graphics sucked because 1. it made the locations look bland
That's what the guy in the video says - and I couldn't disagree more. I think those gritty environments are awesome. They might lack some of the signature scenes from 2097, but they still look great.

and 2. it was outdated by WO3 coming out the same year. So why couldnt the game had graphics from WO3?
Technical reasons? Because it was a conversion of the 2097 engine? Because Sony didn't do it? Because it wasn't a parallel WO3 development as such? Because the N64 couldn't do WO3 graphics? Oh, and lastly: Because it wasn't outdated. I mean, seriously, WO64 was as far from outdated as they got!

Those graphics are awesome on the PSone/Saturn, but it doesn't look natural on the 64.
What are you saying? What's "natural"? And why does it HAVE to look natural?

Why couldn't the game have more original levels instead of mirrored remakes?
For veterans that's indeed a bummer. But even I (2097 is my favorite installation) didn't recognize the recycling until someone mentioned it here. I still find the tracks are unique from their blueprints. It feels great racing them - what more can you ask?

P.S: I found a Video Game Vault on ScrewAttack on this game. Don't know if anyone else saw it or has it.
Good thing you posted the video in the "worst review I've seen" thread, because I think it's a strong competitor for the title! :twisted Honestly, saying that WO64 lacks in playability - as compared to F-Zero - I mean what the heck?!? It basically plays as awesome as 2097, which is among the games the review praises. Plus, challenges are kind of fun. So, alright, no tourneys. But why neglect what else is there? Come on, this guy even claims you can't decipher the weapon icons!

I'm not saying this as a fact, I really don't, but the review SOUNDS like it came from an F-Zero fanboy who tries to protect his favorite video game system against the WipEout "intrusion".

Ben

Lance
21st January 2010, 12:56 PM
Re: 'Why couldn't it have..xxxx?' Money, except, partly, for 'why not the WO3 tracks in WO64'? In that case, there are the additional reasons that WO64 is a port, and WO3 was an entirely new game done by a different studio, Studio Leeds.

Lance
21st January 2010, 01:16 PM
Ben, that is quite the quotefest. For the last several months, I've been seeing excessive quotation more and more by many of our members. The forums are becoming less readable and often overly formal. Would everyone who sees this message please read my modpost >
http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164461&postcount=31
unless you've already done so, of course.

Tomahawk
21st January 2010, 01:25 PM
This review really seems like it was done by some F-Zero fanboy who has nothing else to do than tear a good (maybe not fantastic, but at least good) videogame from the WipEout series to shreads. Interestingly enough the audience of the site gives the game a 9.2 out of 11 rating. :P I'd say the audience has a much better taste than this stinkin' F-Zero fanboy. :turd

OneAVGNFan
21st January 2010, 03:42 PM
I like WO64. The game, as I meant to say, has not aged well compared to the other Wo games.
I have the game, but don't play as much as Fusion or HD (only other WO games I have). It does feel like a port though (I do have to give credit to the replyers).
But honestly, I think the graphics doesn't feel natural on the 64.
Good game, but could have been better for a port.

In short, the game is qualified to play on from time to time.:nod

JABBERJAW
21st January 2010, 04:44 PM
Most people here consider fusion to be the lowpoint of the series. Also, in 64's defense, the pitch control is far superior to HD and fusion. It matters considerably more than both of those games. And the float physics is almost exactly like xl. My only two gripes with that game was single lap time trials (horrible), and the weapon distribution system (also crap)

Dan Locke
22nd January 2010, 03:53 PM
To be frank, I never really liked Wipeout 64's physics. The handling feels like a bad hybrid between F-Zero X's and Wipeout XL's.

Then there are the ridiculous "alien" environments (strange, considering that the game is supposedly set on Earth like the others), but I won't go into that.

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2010, 05:31 PM
Try using a wheel, it's very smooth and not twitchy at all, just like xl. fzero turns on a dime unless you turn to fast and slide out. It is actually a little more floaty than xl, kinda in between xl and 2097. I am sure it is a direct port, so the physics should feel almost exactly like xl. I agree the environments do not look as good as xl, but that is because of the n64's blurrovision.

Super8er
26th January 2010, 12:34 PM
I remember quite liking Wipeout64. I recall actually being somewhat impressed with it when I first bought it. I was always into the 'tech specs' of game consoles so I assumed that a cart version of Wipeout would be just terrible. After all, we're talking about a cartridge that can hold, at most, just under 1/10th what a CD-ROM could hold at the time. Then I saw just how much 'Wipeout' Psygnosis managed to cram into that little cart and was fairly blown away.

True, there were a lot of sacrifices, and I could understand polygon count and texture resolution being compromises... but it was strange that the controls seemed a little... off. I adjusted to them, and maybe it was just that a N64 controller responded differently than a PS controller, but I found the controls and slightly tweaked physics frustrating.

I think I was just glad that any Wipeout game was out there... it brought the Wipeout name to a possibly new audience and kept the name out there until the next one came out.

It was nice having almost no load time...:)

Dexito2097
17th November 2010, 05:22 PM
Wipeout is great on the Playstation.
But for the N64 I will have to put my money on F-Zero

F-Zero was designed for the N64 hardware ( that includes the controller ) while WipeOut 64 looks like a crappy version ( was it done or just distributed by Midway ? ) of the original Wipeout.

However... It's music is great.

=)

I almost forgot.

check out this review by none other than Screw Attack's Stuttering Craig
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/video-game-screwattack/47072