PDA

View Full Version : Need Help. This problem is ruining my Wipeout HD experience.

freakcubus
20th December 2008, 07:52 PM
Recently, while completing a race in campaign mode, the game WILL NOT grant me the medal I earned. I've finished a number of races in first place but for some reason the game will not give me a gold medal, or any medal for that matter! First, second, or third place - NO MEDAL.

I'm currently working on completing two races, but can't progress in the game because of this problem. I don't know if this is a bug or a glitch or what, but it is driving me INSANE.

I've searched the internet and tried all of the game's options but haven't found an answer.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Are there any solutions?

blackwiggle
20th December 2008, 08:30 PM
I've never heard of anybody suffering this before.
What grid is it on?
Is this happening with ALL cells within that grid?
What level are you playing at Novice,skilled,elite?

By the way,it isn't medals that open up the next grid,you have to achieve a certain amount of points,but I suppose if your not getting any points from multiple cells that will be a problem.

A possible solution [drastic] would be to save your game data to a USB stick ,then delete the game and then download it again and re install it,then transfer the game save data back.
Hopefully that would of gotten rid of any corrupted parts of the game you might of had in the original download.

freakcubus
20th December 2008, 11:34 PM
Currently this is happening on Frenzy. It is happening on the middle cell, second row from the left. It seems to be happening only with racing events when I place first, second, or third. I'm playing on the novice level right now.

Yes, I know it's the points that open up grids, but some points are unavailable because of this quirk, which further prevents me from progressing in my campaign.

I am going to transfer the data to my external drive, delete the game, then reinstall it. After I transfer my data back, hopefully everything works again.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply.

freakcubus
21st December 2008, 12:44 AM
Unbelievable. I deleted the game and saved all the data, and it is still happening! Sigh...I guess I'll delete the data and the game then re-install.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do. I have trouble believing the quirk is unique to my PS3.

multibodydynamics
21st December 2008, 12:55 AM
Wait a minute... Don't delete that save file just yet... Are there more than on e user created on your PS3? The save file belongs to a specific user, and in the XMB menu on the far left side you can switch between different users. I'm honestly not sure what I am talking about, but I have a feeling that you are playing the game as a user that differs from the save file user, maybe? And that might be the reason why your progress is not being saved by the game. Am I even on right track here? This might be an explanation...

freakcubus
21st December 2008, 02:00 AM
No, there is only one user on my PS3 and XMB, so that can't be it.

I just deleted the game and the data and started new. I replayed everything up to Frenzy, finished the same race that wasn't giving me a medal before, and you won't believe this - IT STILL ISN'T AWARDING ME A MEDAL. I got in first place, and NOTHING happened. And this point I am just laughing, I have no idea what it could be. I feel like banging my head against the wall.

I don't know where to go from here short of contacting the developer.

blackwiggle
21st December 2008, 06:39 AM
Have you gone online to get the latest patch?
I think this might have something to do with it [guessing ATM],try connecting online and see if a patch self installs,most bizarre whatever s going on with it.

Ithron
21st December 2008, 08:10 AM
I don't know where to go from here short of contacting the developer.
Dunno about you guys but if I'd be experiencing technical issues with a software, the very first thing I'd do is contact the developers technical support (and not only because they're always quite slow to answer).

Anyways, hope you'll get your game working as it should. It's a damn fine game and would be a shame if you'd have to miss out on it like this.:|

pildog
21st December 2008, 10:13 AM
Saw this today. Not sure if its related to your problem... Seems pretty bad, Sony should patch this right away!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=204492

darkfaerytales
21st December 2008, 12:20 PM
this game's full of bugs, it's a shame for a such perfect and gorgeous game...

Zoth-Ommog
21st December 2008, 02:44 PM
Saw this today. Not sure if its related to your problem... Seems pretty bad, Sony should patch this right away!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=204492

Bah nice to know that now, because i had to change my account password couple of days ago.. Anyway no problems this far, or at least i have not noticed any. I hope i got lucky.

freakcubus
21st December 2008, 02:46 PM
I've looked online and have yet to find a way of contacting Liverpool Studios about the issue. My next plan of action is to share the game with my friend and have him play the game to the point in Frenzy where I am experiencing the problem. I am hoping it happens to him, too -- I need reassurance it's the programming and not some quirk with my PS3 since this hasn't been reported before (to my knowledge).

I have downloaded the patch and installed it accordingly twice, so that rules out me running an older version of the game.

I have come across the same article pildog shared, but the trophy issue only applies to trophies on PSN. It could be a possibility (I'm not ruling anything out at this point), because I did change my PSN password in order to share the game with my friend two days ago. I'll have him play the game without changing his password and see what happens.

I appreciate the suggestions, guys. The game is beautiful and an extremely good time to play. Hopefully this kink gets ironed out soon one way or another.

blackwiggle
22nd December 2008, 02:42 AM
Well the lead designer of WOHD is a forum member here,so are a few other SL people,I don't know if sending them a PM would do any good as they would probably be on Xmas break [I just checked and he hasn't visited the forum since the 9th of DEC].
They [SL] will see you post here,just keep bumping it up if you can't get the problem resolved.

The PSN password change combined with the last problematic PS3 system update seems the most likely cause,even though to date it has previously only been known to cause trophy data problems.

Nobody else has ever suffered this problem till now, so I'd say it would be the cause since you unfortunately qualify for it happening to you.

Just practice in racebox until a fix in a system update emerges, as I think that's where it's going to have to come from,not from SL .

By the way,did you put a bug report in?...see the Report Bugs Thread at the top of the HD page.

freakcubus
22nd December 2008, 03:04 AM
OK, thanks for the advice. I will report the bug as you said and hopefully the designers come across this thread of messages.

I downloaded and installed the game over my friend's place, played to the same point, and again--the same thing happened. No medals were awarded. As far as I know, this problem is unique to Frenzy--the second row to the left, middle cell race. It could be happening to other cells as well, I just can't progressive far enough to discover any. I must say, it was a relief to find out it is not just me experiencing the problem.

Here's hoping for a fix. I'll report the issue now.

Thanks again.

blackwiggle
22nd December 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm just having a look at the Frenzy grid,not sure which cell you mean [either the four race mini tournament or the Zone on Moa Therma] either way gold gives you 3 points.
I don't know if they changed the points system with the patch as I completed all of campaign pre patch in what now is called elite.
You should be able to get enough points to open up Vertigo even without having any medal awarded in that cell,it just means you will most likely need them to be mostly gold in the others,Frenzy is not a particularly hard grid so you shouldn't have much problem,suppose it's how WO savvy you are,use Icarus or Piranha on the Rapier Moa Therma track as that would seemingly be the most difficult cell.

Darkdrium777
22nd December 2008, 05:06 AM
Try using exactly what you didn't use: an old version of the game. Play the game offline and don't download the update. This will indicate that the patch is the problem, if the glitch doesn't show up in version 1.00. ;)

loudogg
16th January 2009, 02:56 PM
Freakubus, did you ever resolve the no medal/points awarded issue? I am having the exact same problem, but have managed to get to level 7 with four points left to open level 8. The races which display the racer's name and position on the right side of the screen will not award medals/points (there are two of them in level 7 and you cannot unlock a 3rd race because of it). I could have easily cleared it by now, if not for this issue. I have tried the re-install as well as the PS3 backup/restore and still a no go. I have contacted Sony tech support and they were no help. BTW, Studio Liverpool is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - interesting. I am still trying to contact the developer directly, but cannot find any contact info. This problem seems to be rare, but I cannot make sense of what could be the cause. Please let me know if you have had any luck...

If anyone else has had this problem or has further suggestions, please feel free to reply.

Darkdrium777
16th January 2009, 03:40 PM
Make sure you don't update the game when you re-install. Try clearing the events then, and then update. If we can determine that the update is the problem, this will help SL to resolve the issue :)

loudogg
16th January 2009, 04:00 PM
Okay, I will give that a shot tonight. I think I will save my current game save on a flash drive and start from scratch on the re-install 1.0v. This may be the cleanest method for purposes of pinpointing the bug.

LOUDandPROUD
16th January 2009, 05:22 PM
WOW! I had this problem too, only with a slight variation. I actually had zero problems receiving my medals in every race within all 8 campaign events on Novice my first time through. BUT, when I then decided to play through the campaign again on Elite, I started having this weird problem you speak of. It happened on a few different races within more than one event...and it was the earlier events that it happened in...1, 2 & 3 I believe. Anyway, I would get frustrated when it wouldn't award me my gold medal (as I had gold in every race on novice, the only way to visually change that medal to an Elite medal was to win gold on Elite, as apparrently silver and bronze on Elite is looked upon as a lesser medal than gold on Novice), so I would just move on to other races and then, after winning gold on one of them and going back to the race that WOULDN'T give me my gold, SOMETIMES it would then suddenly decide to give it to me. Other times though, no matter what I did, it just refused to give me the medal, so I'd just shut down and attempt it some other time. Well, eventually, after repeated attempts, those offending races all gave me my gold and I haven't had that problem since, like I said, event number 3...and I only have one tourney in event 7 then all of event 8 left to achieve Elite gold in all events. So, I have no clue what that's all about or the cause...all I know is it was extremely frustrating. Of course, not nearly as frustrating in comparison to the folks who seem to be having this problem where it hasn't worked itself out like mine did...I feel for you! Hopefully, we'll hear back from the developers on this...

loudogg
16th January 2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, this game can be like krack sometimes. lol (not that I would really know). I would just be glad to to clear the novice skill level as this issue is proving it to be very difficult with reduced available points. As far as elite skill level, well I'm not there yet. I must say, in my frustration, I have been neglecting my other PS3 games, so I may not have the patience to try and try again, although I have already tried many times on the same races. I am just surprised we are not seeing more of this. I'm wondering if it's limited to newer PS3s or a certain model? I would think the issue has gotta be software, but then it seems it should have a higher occurrence among players. Maybe WO HD may have a smaller population than some more popular games, so we only see a few instances of this (or maybe people just get pi$$ed and don't try to resolve)??? I was looking forward to racing a buddy online, but he has reconsidered buying it after hearing of my heartache:bomb

okam
16th January 2009, 07:43 PM
The races which display the racer's name and position on the right side of the screen will not award medals/points

I might be stating the obvious and/or missing your point, but those are tournaments, not single races, and you only get medals/points for your total tournament score after the final race in the tournament. If you do a 4 race tournament and win all 4 races, you still only get one gold medal for winning the tournament.

Are you completing all races in the tournament, placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd and qualifying for a medal, and still not recieving it?

LOUDandPROUD
16th January 2009, 07:48 PM
Speaking for myself, the problem was occuring in single races (possibly tournaments, as well, but definitely single races).

loudogg
16th January 2009, 07:59 PM
Ahh thanks Okam, you may be on to something there as I believe in my case this was happening on just the tournaments. Perhaps I was shutting it down too early after not being awarded a medal and moving on to another cell. If this is the case, I will feel like a total fool, but it wouldn't be the first time. Thanks for the input and I will check it out when I get home tonight. :clap
---
Ding Ding Ding... gues who gets the idiot award for the day..ME! You were right Okam, I just wasnt finishing out the whole tournament thinking it was a single race or something. Sorry you guys for wasting your time, but I appreciate the feedback. Thanks Okam for saving me from a surely frustrating weekend. So in my case, this was NOT a bug afterall, just a case of me being a dumba$$. Thread over man! :hyper

okam
16th January 2009, 10:39 PM
Haha, well I'm glad you got it sorted anyway :D See you online!