PDA

View Full Version : Sixaxis Motion Control

quantum-avatar
17th December 2008, 10:31 PM
A brilliant addition in my view that really adds a new dimension to the experience and somehow makes you feel like you are really flying the ship and not just playing a video game. :hyper

Thing is it's bloody hard to get the same level of confidence as you can with the stick. :?:

Has anyone found a workable setting or techniques that make it usable in an online racing situation?

Would love to know your thoughts :o

Cerium
17th December 2008, 11:43 PM
I think the best use for the motion controls are for pitch -- for steering it just feels too lagged to be competitive above flash.

But that's just me. Maybe there's someone out there who can rock the motion controls...

Darkdrium777
18th December 2008, 08:26 AM
The delay is annoying for full ship steering. However for pitch control it works really well.

quantum-avatar
18th December 2008, 12:00 PM
I agree, pitch only at present, its a shame to limit it though. Given its all electronic do you think they have programmed in the lag because they dont trust our coordination or is it a hardware issue? I have not had a chance to use it on any other games so cant compare.

If programed then an update patch that increaces the sensitivity and immediacy would be most welcome!

crawdad62
18th December 2008, 12:36 PM
I tried it and it just didn't seem sensitive enough. I agree that for pitch control it works pretty well (even though I went back to the analog stick for pitch) but thinking about this and the fact I just got an iPhone I think it would be cool if SL released a version for it. Of course that doesn't mean I want them to take time away from releasing DLC for Wipeout HD though:naughty

FrenkyV
18th December 2008, 05:58 PM
I've used it once for the trophy, but I really found it unnatural...

But its nice is there

Darkdrium777
18th December 2008, 07:18 PM
It is hardware related, nothing can be done to fix this (This is Bluetooth standard).
At least they fixed the controller itself though, I don't have the problem of 'Randomly press /\ when in wireless mode' that I had with my first two SIXAXIS.

Cerium
18th December 2008, 07:23 PM
I think it's more the motion sensor itself than Bluetooth. If it was the protocol, you'd see the lag for all activities -- including your basic button presses.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the controllers are using some variation of the mercury sensor for each axis; which would quickly explain the lag on the motion controls (time required for the liquid to physically move).