PDA

View Full Version : Dream come true

yawnstretch
6th December 2008, 09:39 AM
This is a little thread about how happy I am with wipEout HD.

Since the glory days of wipEout and wipEout 2097 ended back in the 90s I thought I'd never experience the old thrills again.

I searched. I have played so many games since the first Playstation blew me away with a demo in a Game shop when I was a school boy. That shop has long since closed. Consoles have come and gone. New generations of school boys have grown up and the 21st century brought technological surprises no one anticipated.

Computer games represent a fundamental cultural medium today. The internet has delivered the promise of rich intercultural exchange and the democratization of mass communication. The definition of electronic entertainment has stretched so wide that it seemed to me that the purity and awe I experienced that day would never really be repeated.

It is almost 2010. I wondered about such dates when I was a boy. "Who will I be?" and "what will the world be like?" I asked myself. I tried to imagine what I would look like as an adult living in a different place and in new surroundings. Fortunately God has blessed me and the idyllic life I tried to picture in my mind decades ago has since come to fruition.

I sit surrounded by wondrous gadgets in a bright comfortable environment and I am healthy with a successful career.

But what of the experience that was bottled for me in the mid 90s with wipEout? My imagination was magnetized by this creation. It gave me direction. It was like a miniature black hole with light distorting vortexes attracting my attention.

I gave hours and days and months to these two games. I gave their successors multiple opportunities and they brought me some entertainment but the gravity was not powerful enough. The black hole had collapsed - visible only in its early stages in my memory and long since dispelled by the every increasing complexity of newer digital creations.

I have criticized the newer generations who have tried to rebottle that idea. I have poked and prodded and offered my theories as to why the genie could not be recaptured but last weekend the genie returned.

Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable (a glimmer of light), Playstation 3 (a console badly beaten) and many other games devices - purchased in search of the dream. I have awoken. The spirit of that day is alive again.

I don't want to go into the details of the individual (fantastic) aspects of the new game. I just want to say the feeling; that mysterious ecstatic thing is once more present in my life. Well done Studio Liverpool.

chboing
6th December 2008, 10:19 AM
lots of common point with my actual wipeout experience :)
and written very nicely.

thank you for sharing :)

eLhabib
6th December 2008, 01:33 PM
Wow, that sent chills down my spile - what an ode to wipEout HD :)

Although the feeling hasn't quite returned in full effect for me (and I think it never will - that initial WOW back in '95 just can't be reproduced), I definitely agree that wipEout HD finally IS the return to form we have all been waiting for.

kanar
6th December 2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, what an ode mate! I can understand that lol, I'm myself completely intoxicated by this game. hope to race you soon!

judus
7th December 2008, 12:28 AM
yawnstretch, great post.

I certainly understand what you may have felt in 95. Wipeout was the first game I actually played. I remember the D1 demo disc that came with the ps1. It was all a big coincidence. I didn't even know what video games were back then. (I grew up in a very remote and wartorn place you see). Long story short - My father had got a ps1 for me because he saw other kids playing it. Wipeout just happened to be the first game I loaded up :D

It was like seeing some other world far removed from the reality then. I was so mesmorised by the futuritic look and the music. Stuff I had never experience before. For that alone, Wipeout remains my favorite game.

If theres one thing I would like to see again, its the return to the graphical style of the first one. It was very grounded and industrial, which I always associated with wipeout.

Axel
7th December 2008, 05:03 PM
I would love for them to show the dirty sides of planet Earth, aka back to the 90's look as well. But to be fair, I'm happy with the game. It may not have the same feeling as WO64/XL does for me, but boi is it the step in the right direction. I have a lot of hope for the next fully fledge out version of Wipeout.