PDA

View Full Version : Which control method are you using?

Kaelef
27th November 2008, 09:13 AM
Please let us know which control method you use in WOHD

blackwiggle
27th November 2008, 10:01 AM
I think you'll find most of the old time WO players use the D-Pad.

djKyoto
27th November 2008, 12:34 PM
Stick here... been using it since the original Dual Shock.

multibodydynamics
27th November 2008, 06:31 PM

Yepp. I've been a D-padder since 1995. Ok, there was no stick available back then... but I've tried the stick numerous times and never got stuck at it... ;)

The main reason why I don't like it is because the akward position on the DS3. It is placed far to high up and tilts way too far. Turning rapidly left and right I feel is almost impossible for me. Also the frequent barrel rolling in HD makes the D-pad much more suitable to me.

Kaelef
27th November 2008, 06:34 PM

Is there any evidence that the D-Pad is actually better than the stick (e.g. the highest high scores), or is it just a matter of what you've gotten used to?

Senture
27th November 2008, 06:58 PM
...is it just a matter of what you've gotten used to?

This for me. I started WipEout long before the first Dual Shock was produced. If memory serves me right, it was released some time after 2097, but before Wip3out. Got a DS and Wip3out and hated using the sticks to I stuck to the d-pad, never ever changed.

blackwiggle
27th November 2008, 10:18 PM
Well Mad Ice uses the D-Pad,and I'm pretty sure Asayyeah does as well.
I think it's a combination of reasons,the dual analog didn't come out until after 2097 had been released,so most of us had gotten used to the D-Pad or were using a NeGcon controller.

Multibodydynamics worded it perfectly on why I don't use the analog stick,that would probably be the same reason others choose the D-Pad.

If they had a controller that had the analog repositioned and shaped like the D-Pad that would be the best of both worlds.

mic-dk
28th November 2008, 06:47 AM
Since I dn't have any old habits to fight, I use stick.
Oh, and motion for pitchcontrol. Works nicely once you adapt.

Darkdrium777
28th November 2008, 01:07 PM
D-Pad + Motion Pitch. The best controls ever IMHO.

captain howdy
29th November 2008, 06:53 AM
i've been using analog steering and motion for pitch. i'm pretty comfortable with it.

Connavar
29th November 2008, 03:37 PM
new player, so stick only

Sideshow
30th November 2008, 04:28 PM
old player, stick only

Figlarz
30th November 2008, 05:29 PM
Stick, it's preciser than d-pad.

abukii
1st December 2008, 08:13 AM
Stick and d-pad...depends on how tricky the corners are...the analog seems to glide in slight to medium corners,but on sharp turns d-pad and a love tap to the airbreaks works for me...

Nadia Elenova
10th December 2008, 07:33 AM
D-pad for PSX, analog for PSP and D-pad again for Wipeout HD. The stick is too high for my little fingers. :P

Ithron
10th December 2008, 08:49 AM
D-Pad for steering and Motion Control for Pitch

JJPAP
10th December 2008, 09:57 AM
The stick. No motion control pitch ... yet;-)

SuperNova
10th December 2008, 10:37 AM
Stick + Motion(pitch) :rock

H3avyM3tal
10th December 2008, 03:42 PM
Recurring player :P
Sticks, but I'm starting to wonder if I should switch back to d-pad. That fast left-right reasoning is kinda true.

I am however wating to see if more of the aces here will post and explain.

judus
10th December 2008, 05:28 PM
Old player. D-Pad. I have tried the other combinations, but after so many iterations of D-pad wipeouts, I find myself playing better using D-Pad.

Asayyeah
16th December 2008, 09:50 AM
dpad no motion control

Zackdem
17th December 2008, 07:51 AM
D-pad only, since the first W'O", I have never try analog for WipEout and will never try, I'm too used with the D-pad to change now

chboing
17th December 2008, 09:04 AM
i used stick, but i switched to dpad 1 week ago, my times are better now.
no motion

Wotan
17th December 2008, 10:20 AM
New wiper : Stick and no motion control

Soccermom
17th December 2008, 04:01 PM
Besides having played a little bit of fusion, I haven't really played WO before - so stick for me in HD (though I struggle quite bit with barrel rolls) :hyper

Rubix42
8th February 2009, 03:04 AM
I'm bringing this thread back, as I just discovered my favorite way to control this game.

My wife, being the dear she is, purchased the Street Fighter IV arcade stick for me for Valentine's day. Showed up early, so she gave it to me.

Wow, once I had a good button layout, this is my new favorite way to race. The joystick being used as a flight stick is really nice. I get the precision of the d-pad with the free movement of the stick. Also, I can have my fingers on the buttons ready to brake, fire and absorb without ever moving my hand. I just set all new lap times for even my best scores in SL.

I highly recommend you try this out if you ever get the chance. It feels very strange at first, but give it a little time and I doubt you'll walk away anything but pleased.

silverfoxy
11th February 2009, 08:18 AM
I'm old school so use the d-pad no motion

Only time I used the stick was for Beat Zico as for some reason I found it easier to do all the BRs especially the one onto the bridge.

Connavar
12th February 2009, 08:01 AM
I was a stick player (still am in Zone), but I switched to d-pad because I couldn't be consistent
with it, although when I was, I did great laps, the stick offers many advantages such as precision,
and gives you the feeling that you're actually piloting a ship, not just pushing buttons ...

I would love to use it again but I'm right handed and SL please allow us to use the right stick,
and to remap every button (including the 4 directions of the d-pad) to a function, and also
to assign a function to several buttons (that way I could switch from 1 method to another
in-game), that would be perfect :)

TorquedSoul
15th February 2009, 04:53 PM
I've been using the stick but I think I'm about to convert to the D-pad. I have no problem controling with the stick ... but pulling off barrel rolls with it is a pain in the rear. I'm finding that the d-pad is more consistent as there is less "play" in the lef/right axis ... plus my thumb doesn't need to travel all over the place to pull it off.

Connavar
15th February 2009, 07:55 PM
plus my thumb doesn't need to travel all over the place to pull it off.
Note that you don't need to do that, you can go a very slight left/right/left and
it'll execute your BR!

Spinninggenius
16th February 2009, 04:38 PM
I use a really weird control system. I use L2 as left airbrake, X as right airbrake, R2 as accelerate and Left analog stick to steer

chaos80
16th February 2009, 04:55 PM
Stick... Yup, I'm one of those... :)

andybob35
16th February 2009, 04:59 PM
D-pad, as nature intended! the stick makes too much noise and the main reason i didn't play any of the psp wipeouts... one day :P

Im looking forward to my new ps3 fightpad which has the best d-pad for barrel rolls! fans of fighting games know where i coming from...

TorquedSoul
16th February 2009, 05:24 PM
Note that you don't need to do that, you can go a very slight left/right/left and
it'll execute your BR!

I've tried that and my barrel rolls happen less frequently. Maybe I just need more practice but its rather annoying to try hte barrel roll and fail and then try it again ... succeed ... get charged for it ... but be too close to the ground to complete it.

ugh.

MR-RICO84
19th February 2009, 12:10 PM
Full motion. Just feels so good when you get the hang of it.

KIGO1987
19th February 2009, 12:38 PM
D-pad for PSX, analog for PSP and D-pad again for Wipeout HD. [COLOR=Purple]

FM! Me same too.

PS1 Wipeout's DPAD
PS2 Wipeout DPAD
PSP Wipeout's Analog stick
PS3 Wipeout DPAD, with no motion control, but that is about to change.

Xavier
19th February 2009, 12:56 PM
I know this thread is for HD, but with people talking about their previous history I'll add mine too.

WO1, 2, 3: all with NeGcon. Couldn't master it with a regular controller whether using analog or d-pad. With a neggy everything is fine!

Fusion: Left stick. This game feels a lot like F-Zero GX, which I mastered using that control setup, and I like the smooth control of the stick.

Pure and Pulse: Both d-pad. Feels much quicker than the nub.

My wife, being the dear she is, purchased the Street Fighter IV arcade stick for me for Valentine's day. ... I highly recommend you try this out if you ever get the chance. It feels very strange at first, but give it a little time and I doubt you'll walk away anything but pleased.

Sounds like a great way to play the game! Anyone know if the steering wheels created for Gran Turismo, such as this one (http://www.eastluna.com/console/details.php?id=3245&id2=b), work with Wipeout? I saw a used one on sale recently and was thinking about how much fun Wipeout would be with it. A foot pedal to accelerate!

MR-RICO84
21st February 2009, 11:24 AM
KIGO1987, do I hear correct? Are you going full motion? Excellent. Let me know how you get on with it.

defor
23rd February 2009, 04:15 AM
thought i should chime in..
dpad, but can't stand the damn ds3 triggers- switched airbrakes the l1/r1 instead.. also changed the sensitivity on accel and airbrakes to minimum so that even the lightest touch registers as 100% on... feels so much better than any of this analog wackiness.. then again, it might just be the psp gaming in me making me setup my controls so wacky...

RedScar
23rd February 2009, 04:28 AM
Pitch and Stick

Mateo
23rd February 2009, 01:15 PM
d-pad, no motion, airbrakes on l1/r1 with max. sensitivity

Asayyeah
23rd February 2009, 01:46 PM
I am still using Dpad with no motion control but i changed a little bit on set up : the aitbrakes sensitivity : now i am trying to adjust it for each track ( at least when i am playing SL or TT) actually i found if you stay at 10% all the time your airbrakes will fully act but too much speed loose in that, especially for easy tracks ala Moa on easy curves ( i am using 50% here) but hardest tracks require to get airbrakes reacting much more quicker ( hairpin or hard bends) that is why i am descending to 20% or 10%.

Mateo
23rd February 2009, 02:15 PM
i always try to avoid the speed loosing as good as possible with sideshifting. works quite good e.g. on moa therma reverse i nearly need no airbrakes, just a little tap maybe and then sideshift when the direction is ok. i only changed the sensitivity from 10% up to 90% for the zone zeus trophy.