PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyone using for sensitivity

abukii
12th November 2008, 06:23 PM
So the thread topic pretty much sums up my question.To further clarify,what acceleration sensitivity is everyone using? I have mine set to 30%. I find this to be somewhat better in the overall. Ive tried 100% but the numbers versus effectiveness seem to work backwards,meaning the lower the better.

So,whats everyone set to??
:sonar

Asayyeah
13th November 2008, 08:01 AM
sensitivity airbrakes : 30%
sensitivity thrust : 10%

Senture
13th November 2008, 11:03 AM
Whatever the default is. I CBA to mess around with settings :)

abukii
1st December 2008, 07:56 AM
sensitivity airbrakes : 30%
sensitivity thrust : 10%

Ahhh...Ive since reset to 20%,but find it a little less effective than 30%...
Airbreaks are pumped to 100%,that really helps pressure sensitivity.

Connavar
1st December 2008, 08:22 PM
airbrakes: 100%
thrust: 10%

b4p
1st December 2008, 09:28 PM
airbrakes around 30% if you're using L1/R1.

A very light press of L1/R1 with 30% will give you a pretty decent turning radius. A very light press of L1/R1 with 100% wont give you much of anything.

Connavar
1st December 2008, 11:58 PM
A very light press of L1/R1 with 100% wont give you much of anything.which is exactly why im using that setup, allows me to do sidesteps correctly

mic-dk
3rd December 2008, 01:37 PM
I've raised my Airbrakes from 30% to 60%. I (also?) had trouble with the sideshifts - at Phantom speed they would usually take me from one side of the track to the other. Now this only happens when I panic, so at least 1 in 4 sideshift doesn't end in the opposite wall!

AG-wolf
5th January 2009, 12:48 PM
connavar and mic: wait wait wait, so sensitivity has an effect on the side shifts? How do they react differently when the sensitivity is low vs when it's set high?

pirahpac
5th January 2009, 01:52 PM
stick/airbrakes :l2r2 70% / acceleration:10%..never see anyone with that config..anyone have same?

multibodydynamics
5th January 2009, 01:52 PM
For Zone mode:
Analog stick
Airbrakes on L2/R2
Airbrake sensitivity: 100 %

Ordinary racing:
D-pad
Airbrakes on L1/R1
Airbrake sensitivity: 10 %

I use analog stick in Zone so I don't accidently make barrel rolls. For ordinary racing I'm most comfortable with the D-pad. I want really fast responding airbrakes so L1/R1 works perfect for that. Acceleration sensitivity is always 10 %, why would anyone want to change that?

Sideshow
5th January 2009, 02:09 PM
I use analog stick in Zone so I don't accidently make barrel rolls.

I use analog stick for Zone, and I do accidently make barrel rolls. :?

Axel
5th January 2009, 02:14 PM
Since I switched from Assagai to Auricom, I have felt that having air breaks set to 50% helps lot!! Those corners on Sol " are now easier to navigate. But it's hard to side shift though. I use the trigger pads

Connavar
5th January 2009, 03:04 PM
connavar and mic: wait wait wait, so sensitivity has an effect on the side shifts? How do they react differently when the sensitivity is low vs when it's set high?
No effect on the sideshift itself, but if the sensitivity is too low (10%),
then you're gonna do accidental airbrakes as well, when all you wanted was
a sideshift. If it's 100% (for instance) then trust me if you double tap
the L1/L2 it's not going to airbrake at all, only going to sideshift left
OR do nothing (because you can only do a sideshift every second or something).

Btw I use 60% airbrake now.

OBH
5th January 2009, 03:30 PM
Chops and changes. Tinkering with the standard 60% with while using EGX.

Acceleration sensitivity is always at 10%.

H3avyM3tal
5th January 2009, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I guess I should try changing the sensitivity aswell (it's on default now, but if you pepole say it helps than I say ok).

Or 'How High':beer

Roz
22nd July 2009, 12:03 PM
60% air brake
10% acceleration

why would any one want more than 10% on acceleration? i can't find no use on controling the thrust percentage.

blackwiggle
22nd July 2009, 12:16 PM
I've got the same but using L1R1 ,but I might still change,it's wipeout,you never know till you have a go.

I like the finesse of the air brakes using the L2 R2 ,problem is that I find that my hand craps up when trying to race with this set up, plus it's so easy to turn a simple turn at speed with any height into a unwanted BR using the L2R2

If only we could reconfigure the LR1 R1 as anolouge over digital,that would sort it.

It's not going to happen,but I can wish

Roz
22nd July 2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I also use L1 and R1 for brakes. Force of habit, I can't be bothered to adjust to that marshmellow feeling of L2 and R2.

blackwiggle
22nd July 2009, 12:26 PM
I wonder if I ask the 'NEgCon controller" can it be done guys if it is possible to turn the L1R1 into anolouge controls .

Probably not ,but worth asking I think.

LOUDandPROUD
22nd July 2009, 07:00 PM
Accel: 10%
Brakes: 50%

BlackStar
24th November 2009, 08:07 PM
Airbrakes 30%
Thrust 10%

:D

Love that setup

G-Hob
25th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I also use L1 and R1 for brakes. Force of habit, I can't be bothered to adjust to that marshmellow feeling of L2 and R2.

I bought the PS3 Real triggers for $5 from Amazon to fix the marshmallow feel of L2 and R2, but I still use L1 and R1 for airbrakes in Wipeout HD.

JFthebestJan
26th November 2009, 02:21 PM
thrust: 10%
airbrakes: 90% L2/R2
steer: 90% d-pad, no 6axis
rumble: active :rock

OBH
27th November 2009, 12:10 AM
thrust 10%
airbrakes 40%

played about with 90/100% brake sensitivity, very effective when using heavier ships, but in my trusty mirage i just didnt find it as useful. worth trying it out agian though, in theory its clearly better to use 100% sensitivity.

SaturnReturn
27th November 2009, 07:07 PM
Are you sure you don't mean it the other way around OBH? I would set airbrakes more towards 10% for the heaviest ships and more towards 100% for better handling ships. That's if I could be bothered to change it all the time, which I can't.

I think 100% sensitivity actually makes sense as a setting. It's not really the wrong way around. A setting of 100% is, I believe, more sensitive in as far as you can press a little and get a small effect, or press hard and get a bigger effect. At 10% it's not sensitive, it's almost on or off. (Is that what you mean when you say 100% is better in theory OBH, because you get more control?)

So for a heavier (or faster) ship, if you always need the full braking effect to slow down in time, then you can probably set it to 10%. If it's a light ship, and you might only need the minimum steering effect sometimes, you could set it to 100% so that you are actually able to achieve that minimum with the greater sensitivity. Depending on the ship and the particular way you apply pressure, the sensitivity required will vary in between.

I might be wrong, but this finally makes proper, good sense to me, so I'm sticking with it.:p

brainbeat
27th November 2009, 07:25 PM
I have been trying 30 and i think its better then 80 which i was on, i can drive phantomn noticeably better in tt or sl, think of it in fractions i have 1/3 on the sensitivity so dont need to press as hard to get max brake, the threshold is better, and in my opinion the nippy crafts can go round most corners with just sideshifts and dpad except for like tight corners

yeldar2097
27th November 2009, 07:37 PM
Does anyone else find that they always use full braking power regardless of settings?
Or maybe it's a subconscious thingy?

Freaky-ass.

:g

mic-dk
27th November 2009, 08:07 PM
I'm using R1-L1 for braking. That, combined with my general hamfisted approach to the controller usually ends up in brakes on, brakes off. Nothing in between... :)

blackwiggle
27th November 2009, 09:05 PM
I've just realised that I haven't changed my Air Brake settings that I found ideal for the old AG but still using on the Fury AG.

Seems some testing is in order as I'm finding the Fury AG a tad unwieldy in comparison,especially when on the Fury tracks.

Maybe it would be a nice idea for a future game update if SL allowed for you to preset Air Brake settings to load with different craft .
It might be a bit of a shock to see a far bigger variety of craft being use online,instead of the usual 4 or 5.

yeldar2097
27th November 2009, 09:08 PM
Ooh you use different settings for different ships? mental!

That'd be far too confusing for me, although I can see how it might be helpful to some peeps.

Mental :+

blackwiggle
27th November 2009, 09:17 PM
Yes I do,I starting trying different combos when doing SL & TT in the weekly challenges.
It can make the different craft handle more like each other,but still retain their basic characteristics.

OBH
27th November 2009, 09:56 PM
@Saturn
Sorry for late reply!

I like 100% sensitivity for heavier ships because you can make very, very short sideshifts. Im sure a talented pilot like yourself can instantly understand how useful that can be with ships based around top speed :)

I found 10% excellent for helping me navigate the track in a pirahna, but i just lost so much speed every time i tap the airbrake it just wasnt worth it.

Well that was my conclusion anyway :) If i wasnt such a lazy bum id teach myself to use 100%, old habits die hard though

Aeroracer
27th November 2009, 10:11 PM
i use.....

thrust 10%:nod
cockpit view
d-pad/stick
motion sensor turned off:nod

air brakes 100% on R2 and L2..cant see why you would use R1 and L1 because wouldnt that mean your sensativity would be 0% regardless of what you set cos their not analogue buttons but I may be wrong:dizzy

SaturnReturn
27th November 2009, 10:36 PM
@OBH - Don't talk to me about side-shifts. I just don't get them. I do them sometimes, but I'm fairly sure I still suck at them.:lol What you're saying is interesting though. It's not the standard view that I've heard from most but kind of makes sense.

@ jasmin - Changing airbrake sensitivity still makes a difference with L1/R1. The Dualshock 2 had analogue buttons all round as far as I remember. Maybe the DS3 doesn't though. The main difference with L1/R1 may have a greater effect with side-shifts like OBH was saying. As for the effect on normal steering, I am starting to wonder if you might be right. Gah, I'm going to have to play the game now to try it out.

reach-big7
27th November 2009, 10:38 PM
stick/airbrakes: □△ 100% / acceleration: R1 10%:P

Aeroracer
27th November 2009, 10:59 PM
@SR

your right about sideshift..

i have trouble when i side shift using R2 and L2 but ive got so used to this set up now i just got to suffer it. maybe i will learn r1 l1 some day.:nod

@big reach..wow thats weird set up you use..must work well co you got super fast times to back it up :nod

ACE-FLO
27th November 2009, 11:19 PM
buddha finger training exercise - Jab fingers into wall, repeat for 5 minutes daily. makes fingers so strong, you wont care for AirBrake sensitivity/response - you'll push L2 R2 harder with buddha finger... :D Sowwy

edit: i do buddha finger training. my L2 R2 buttons are too damn stiff on the ds3 lol

reach-big7
27th November 2009, 11:33 PM
@big reach..wow thats weird set up you use..must work well co you got super fast times to back it up :nod

I think that I can do more delicate operation than using airbrakes: R1L1 :)

yeldar2097
27th November 2009, 11:39 PM
That is a really interesting setup actually...might give it a try :P

Shoot/absorb?

reach-big7
27th November 2009, 11:45 PM
That is a really interesting setup actually...might give it a try :P

Shoot/absorb?

Shoot: ×/absorb: 〇 
try it :g

Mr Phlanj
27th November 2009, 11:45 PM
haydn has that setup on pulse, i tryed it but i kept going back to normal mid race so i had to change it back

AG-wolf
27th November 2009, 11:46 PM
jeeze, some people don't even USE side-shifts? They're about the only thing that keep me away from the wall half the time... I would be dead without them in HD :/

That being said, I used R1/L1 because I didn't want to wear out my R2/L2 triggers... but I don't even use a PS3 controller anymore; I use a PS1 Dualshock so that every button is digital, regardless of what the options menu says...

The D-Pad on a PS2/PS3 controller has too much play, so doing BRs is difficult unless I'm using the PS1 pad

Mr Phlanj
27th November 2009, 11:48 PM
i didnt know you could plug in the old-school pads

yeldar2097
28th November 2009, 12:00 AM
@Reach: How and when did you decide to put your controls like that?
It makes sense but it's still a bit of a weird setup... ;)

I will try it tomorrow :g

Aeroracer
28th November 2009, 12:33 AM
you can use any pad you want to if you got adaptor plug..i think their about 10 euros ps2 to ps3 coverter is their name i think.:nod

abukii
28th November 2009, 07:05 AM
I had one...for further reference, about 10 dollars, USD.

OBH
28th November 2009, 11:51 AM
@Reach
Awesome! Same set-up i used for pulse nearly. Might have to give it a try :)
I used for pulse -
L - fire
R - thrust
Sqare - L Airbrake
Triangle - R Airbrake
X - Absorb
O - Look back

Never really experimented properly with a similar set-up on HD, i guess seeing as the ps3 obviously has more shoulder buttons i felt obliged to make full use of them.

@Saturn
Wow, Im truely amazed you dont use sideshifts very often. :eek So many corners can be completely negated with a humble shift. Thinking about it, on VK Rev i shift on pretty much every corner.

SaturnReturn
28th November 2009, 04:04 PM
I do them more than I realise. It's not like I don't use them. I'm trying out the old WO games and it's obvious I use them subconsciously when they're not available and I'm trying to do them anyway. But I've just never really been good at them and rarely got the desired result. After a lot of TT on a track I get the hang of them a bit more, but I'm sure others use them a lot more and are way better at them than I. I tend to always do them and then steer too much at the same time. I'd prefer to not use them at all and slide the ship around more in a bit of an old-skool way, even though I'm not an old-skool player.

Last night I set airbrakes to 100%. It was horrible. Then I was going to start to turn them down a bit at a time, figuring I'd probably stop at around 30% anyway. But I think they're on 80% now. I might not even have gone down past 90%. It does feel to offer more subtlety in the control, particularly for SS, than the lower settings, even though I'm using L1/R1. So maybe now I can start using SS better. I wish I'd experimented more earlier now.

yeldar2097
28th November 2009, 07:24 PM
Deary me Sat, you just can't get anything right can you? :P

From your vids it looks like you SS quite a lot, just as much as (if not more than) me, if that's anything to go by. Only difference is that you use them in different places/situations.

I agree with you about not using them at all though, feels much more smooth and controlled if you don't SS around a corner. Actually it's more like holding the brake as opposed to tapping it. One example I can think of is the second long lefty on sol2 R: feels really nice to just hold l-airbrake with a bit of nose down but I'm pretty sure it's slower than the whole tap-tap-sideshift-tappy thing.

Defs gonna try Reach's funky setup tonight :)

30% = win :g

SaturnReturn
28th November 2009, 07:50 PM
Exactly, and I think the different places I do them are just when I instinctively need them, so I don't even realise. Maybe I just need to think about it a bit more and then I can actually use them more effectively.

ACE-FLO
28th November 2009, 08:00 PM
side shifting is one of the coolest game mechanics, i don't know how i ever managed to play the older W"O games without it now. But let me get this confirmed - setting airbrake sensitivity to 100 will give me a shorter SS, whereas setting airbrakes to 10 will give me longer SS ? or am I totally wrong? :?

SaturnReturn
28th November 2009, 08:15 PM
It's not about absolutes, it's about relative level of control, or precision in control. I think that the 100% setting should give more control over airbrake shenanigans in general. You could have it set to one or the other and actually find no difference if, for example, you just mash that button as hard as you can in exactly the same way no matter what your settings are. I think only some experimentation will really confirm the effect for the individual.

yeldar2097
28th November 2009, 08:16 PM
Depends how hard you push the buttons I think: Maximum lateral travel due to sideshifting is the same regardless of your airbrake sensitivity, it's just your input can be slightly different depending on the % sensitivity.

Having said that, I'm not sure if sideshift distances varies according to how hard you push the button or how 'long' you push the buttons for during the sideshift (or a combination of the two). I'll check it out later.
For the time being: Assuming it is the former, if you have your airbrakes set to 10% you will only be able to do a sideshift that will move you the maximum amount, whereas with 100% you would be able to control this distance.
If instead it is to do with duration of button pressing antics (like I said at the top of this post) then you will be able to control your sideshift distance to the same degree regardless of your airbrake sensitivity.

Something along those lines I reckon....maybe Ask an expert, I'm just guessing :)

reach-big7
29th November 2009, 01:04 PM
@yeldar
funky setup :lol It is difficult for me to use default setup.I am confused.
The role of the left hand is only handling. and right hand is another.:o
This is best setup for me:)

@haydn
Wow! great setup! same nearly :g:+

KGB
29th November 2009, 01:59 PM
If you hold the sideshift button in on the second press for a longer time you will sideshift further across the track. Two the same will result in a smaller sideshift. What happens when you change the sensitivity I don't really know, probably just affects how much pressure needed.

Using the Sideshift at phantom doesn't always work for me, it just results in turning the ship twice, I read on here that there was a glitch in the sideshifts but don't remember where.

To be honest I never really understood why you could change the sensitivity, just make them work every time and everyone would be happy.

I'm using 10% for acceleration and 30% for airbreaks, what should it be so they work without fail at Phantom?

yeldar2097
30th November 2009, 01:14 AM
Well that's the same as me and I never fail :+

...I mean sideshifts never fail :lol

No idea kgb, will look into it :)

leungbok
30th November 2009, 08:24 AM
Using the Sideshift at phantom doesn't always work for me, it just results in turning the ship twice, I read on here that there was a glitch in the sideshifts but don't remember where
It happens to me sometimes too !
Sensitivity 10% thrust - 50% airbrakes

acintyan
24th December 2009, 03:32 PM
thrust sens: 10%
airbrakes sens: 80%
pitch: off
view: far

L1R1 airbrakes

triangle = speed
O = absorb

L2 = rear view
R2 = shot

i use the d pad and sometimes the analog stick - i like the feel of the analog stick better but for BR-s is the d pad better. is there any real good player that uses analog or the all pros use d-pad!? :) to ask is not a sin...

One question:

Why is everyone using X as speed and not the triangle? IT`s easier to absorb a pickup when u hould the triangle and then you just push O - you can do it with just one finger. :)
and side shifting.. im learning it but I just dont like side shifting, I like the flow of the game without it... but its important to learn it to. Since I am a newbie, which ship dou you prefer?

I used the standard but now I switched to Goteki45 and I love it. Which ships are similar? :) Or offer more control? :)

@saturnreturn

I watched all of your videos and got inspiration for that goteki45 , which settings do you use now? airbrake 80% still? :)

SaturnReturn
24th December 2009, 04:15 PM
Aw shucks, I feel like a celebrity. Welcome to the forum. You're my favourite already. :lol

I switched back to Goteki recently as I started playing the game online a bit more. With the Goteki I'm using 70%. I'm definitely preferring the level of control with it set a bit higher, and I'm loving this ship again right now. Fits like a glove.:)

yeldar2097
24th December 2009, 05:06 PM
OI! I though I was your favourite :P

acintyan
24th December 2009, 05:08 PM
what a nice and fast respond. :+ if im your favorite then saturn will be my planet :P

hehe, funny, we must be brothers, I have set it today to 70% too - goteki rox and it is massive :hyper

im in love with wipeout - hope it will last forever

I have just one question: I have read a lot of this pitch threads but I still dont know if its good to use motion sensor? Now I have it off, cause when I im bed my controller is in a frankenstein position and its not good :D

i rarelly press up and down on the d pad < i just dont have the time cause u must use all the aibrakes and sideshift and make double barrels, who has time for the pitch controll... so much stuff for a beginner. Do you have a hint - Am I losing much if I never steer my nose up or down? This is all I wanna know for now.

And im glad I found this forum, cause in our country arent manny wipeout players(we are small - 2 million people) :D

happy xmall to all,
acintyan :P

PS: yeldar I saw your videos too. you were the first player i watched lol :P, U both are insane and have nice videos. RESPECT for the The Flying Dutchmen.

afuroKy
24th December 2009, 06:01 PM
I think Im using the default configuration
thrust 30%
airbrakes 100%
pitch only motion control 80%
main ship: Auricom F (also Goteki 45. But Ive stuck to Goteki F recently and I think I prefer it)

I tried various sensibility settings. This one is the best balanced for me.

steer with left analog, I can't play racing games with the D-pad anymore since Gran Turismo 2 lol. And I think I couldnt get good racing lines with the D-pad anyway. Im the kind of person who handles smoothly the gamepads u know8)

view: close, thrust: X, shoot: SQUARE, absorb: O, look back: L1

acintyan
27th December 2009, 10:51 AM
im using square and triangle for airbrakes now, they are at 70%. I dont know what is it but I ike to side shift with that setting more and it`s more precise than L1R1 - after all

it˙s a small button :P

but i cant use X for shot now... i put shot on R2 and absorb on O - but it strange feeling. thrust is on L2 :)

Shoot: ×/absorb: 〇 
try it :g

i had this setting but its a little weird when u are using airbrake and shoot at the same time - so im just using r1r2 for shoot - absorb is ok

F.E.I.S.A.R
14th January 2010, 01:44 PM
Acceleration/Thrust:10%
Airbrakes:50%
Motion Sensor:60% (cannot be bothered to use the MS)

Dan Locke
14th January 2010, 02:39 PM
Acceleration at 10% (Why the stupid analog sensitivity? Are there people out there who like having to press the button as hard as they can?)

Motion at 100%

Airbrakes at 50%

Seasonreaper
14th January 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm currently at 10% Accel 70% Airbrakes.

Motion is at pitch only, 60%, with R1 and L1 for airbrakes. Find it easier to sideshift that way ;).

LurifaxFlux
14th January 2010, 06:55 PM
I go with 10% on both accel and ABs :g
I use original button setup and camera view is far.
I don't use pitch control, except when I did Beat Zico.

Flint Fandango
2nd December 2010, 02:12 PM
I´ve played (and still play) Pulse on the PS2, so I wanted to set the controls of the ships in WO-HD to a comparably level.
My momentary setting is the following:
Thrust at 80%
Airbreaks at 70%
MS is at 60%

I can´t say that these settings are comparable with those in pulse, still I am not very happy with this choice, but it is better than before. My Icaras doesn´t wobble like the tail of a cow any more!

Darkdrium777
2nd December 2010, 09:43 PM
I suppose you know the difference between analog controls and digital controls.

In WipEout HD, the higher the sensitivity, the more analog control you have over whatever it is you are adjusting. 100% is pure analog control.
On the contrary, the lower the sensitivity, the less analog control you have. So 10% is almost pure digital control.

I do not play Pulse on PS2 but on PSP the controls in Pulse are 100% digital if I remember correctly (Except maybe if you use the analog stick.)
So for example if you wanted to imitate the control responsiveness of Pulse PSP into HD you would have to set everything at 10%.

F.E.I.S.A.R
2nd December 2010, 10:06 PM
One thing that is a given:
Set Acceleration at 10%. Setting it higher means that you need to press harder to get 100% Acceleration. Airbrakes and Motion Sensor,you may have your own liking,so you may have to experiment

Aeroracer
2nd December 2010, 11:05 PM
thrust is 10% thats law....

airbrakes..whatever you want makes no difference just find a setting and stick to it..your style will adapt to your setting if you use it for any considerable legnth of time.

analogue vs pad..hard to call both have goods and bads...

Flint Fandango
3rd December 2010, 08:28 AM
I suppose you know the difference between analog controls and digital controls.

In WipEout HD, the higher the sensitivity, the more analog control you have over whatever it is you are adjusting. 100% is pure analog control.
On the contrary, the lower the sensitivity, the less analog control you have. So 10% is almost pure digital control.

I do not play Pulse on PS2 but on PSP the controls in Pulse are 100% digital if I remember correctly (Except maybe if you use the analog stick.)
So for example if you wanted to imitate the control responsiveness of Pulse PSP into HD you would have to set everything at 10%.

Thank you very much! This information was very helpful!
It would have been quite laborious to check all settings until I´d found an adequate way, which were comparable to the PS2(or PSP)-Pulse Version!

MENGKESHI
11th December 2010, 05:37 PM
For everything apart from zone, I like things with as little sensitivity as possible. Sometimes I put the motion sensitivity up to 40% to help with the cornering but usually I just find all the barrel roll / sideshifts etc much easier to pull off on the lowest sensitivities. And I'm a die hard user of d-pad. In fact I was really shocked to find out that advanced players are using analogue!!