PDA

View Full Version : 2097 PC on Vista

Kscorps
24th October 2008, 01:55 AM
Will Wipeout 2097 PC work on Vista? I'm trying to get my friend into Wipeout by giving this to him for his birthday. Only problem is I don't know if it works on vista.:rolleyes:

Darkdrium777
24th October 2008, 03:40 AM
Oh boy... I would try using the compatibility modes but I hope you don't expect it to run out of the box after the install. I seriously doubt that, because we are talking about Vista after all... Even though it's quite a good OS (I've got used to it and like it thus far, except for the UAC which I've disabled), it's got some compatibility problems still. Nothing major, but I wouldn't expect games like 2k97 to work flawlessly. But I haven't tried (Can't say I could, don't have the game).

BulletWraith
26th October 2008, 08:41 PM
well I bought 2097 for the PC a couple months ago and I can't get it running in Vista(which is great after a makeover) no matter what I change in the compatibility options
whats weird though is I downloaded a demo of 2097/XL from the internet early this year and it works on Vista, go figure

I'm going to download Linux mint or Open BSD and get it running in wine (http://www.winehq.org/), I think that's the only option, well either that or tracking down a copy of windows 95

if you manage to get it running in Vista please report back

churr
zer:donutshen

Darkdrium777
27th October 2008, 03:42 AM
Well if he's got a 64 bit Vista it most definitely will not work. Tried the demo of 2097 I downloaded of CNET (After a quick Google of it) and it doesn't work.
zer0shen, do you have Vista 32 bits? If you have 64 bits, I'm interested to know your configuration, because Compatibility mode did not work (Said I needed to find the 64 bit application and use it instead of the 32 bit). I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64b.

BulletWraith
27th October 2008, 05:48 AM
sorry Darkdrium I've got 32bit (home basic) and it runs fine, when I have time to get my head around installing a linux distro I'll tell you how it goes getting the CD rom going

churr
-zer0shen

Darkdrium777
27th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Ah I see, well there goes the dream of 2097 on the laptop :(
Any chance SL will make a 64bits version? :g
Ok, I know the way out...

KIGO1987
27th October 2008, 07:21 PM
Vista after all... Even though it's quite a good OS.

Sorry, agree to disagree there.

The program you have choosen has become non responsive........ ahhhh goddam cnt, did it again!

mac001
30th October 2008, 11:22 AM
On my Vista, the system crashes and needs to be rebooted in order to work again. The graphics looked fine, the first time I tried it. But it worked fine only once. Probably something with the direct x.

If you find out how to fix the bug, let us know. :brickwall
Are there more w.o games that can be played on pc, I would love to know.

Keep on floatin'

Marcel

Darkdrium777
25th November 2008, 05:46 AM
I recently found out about DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). Maybe this can help in running WipEout 2097 in Vista? And there are graphical shells out there too so you don't have to type in commands, just double click on the icon and the game supposedly launches. ''Supposedly'' because I am totally useless in this domain and have no idea how to configure DOSBox and the shell to work correctly with the WipEout 2097 installer or launcher. Not mentioning the fact that I can't type the character \ in DOSBox (Laptop keyboard isn't properly recognized), which is vital for commands. :s
Anyone can help? I'll try to figure out some things on my own, but not right now I do not have the time :P

BulletWraith
25th November 2008, 09:13 AM
I was under the impression that Dos box didn't work with win95 games, couldn't see 2097/xl on the supported titles list, just wipEout, though I'll have a proper look when I have the time

thanks for new hope

-zer:donutshen

yeldar2097
13th January 2009, 09:59 PM
i tried several versions and if you hit the first link after searching for 'wipeout 2097' download, then click 'where to download etc...' (bottom right), and click the second link, i find that one works without any modifications. it runs antisocially fast so if anyone knows how to slow it down that'd be much appreciated

rdmx
14th January 2009, 01:11 AM
Wipeout 2097/XL slowdown patch: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=1421

Darkdrium777
14th January 2009, 01:49 AM
The version you mention yeldar doesn't work here (Vista x64 Home Premium). Something about a missing file in the Hi-Res folder.

yeldar2097
14th January 2009, 07:11 PM
yeah there's a thread explaining how to rectify that. hope it works for you too!
here you go: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1963&page=2
easy money

edit: thanks a lot insertcoin! that's the second time you've saved my life in some way ;)

Darkdrium777
14th January 2009, 11:38 PM
Still does not work. Black screen after clicking play, I've got to Ctrl+Alt+Del to exit out.

Got the version of yeldar.
Copied and pasted data from network patch into wipeoutxl directory of the downloaded version.
Copied and pasted data of speed patch into wipeoutxl directory of the downloaded version.

EDIT: renamed to 'wobble' and put in C:\ and it works. Thanks :)

yeldar2097
15th January 2009, 11:27 AM
just used the slowdown patch and it's still running at about 2x speed. is there some sort of super-slowmo version? if not i'll just have to pretend i'm in zone mode.

glad to have you indulging in a bit of nostalgia at last darkdrium. it's worth it.

Darkdrium777
15th January 2009, 02:29 PM
Hmm, don't know man. It wasn't working for me and now it works xD

Again, the step by step:

Download the version of yeldar: search for 'Wipeout 2097 download' on Google, the first link is the right one (Squakenet), click 'Where to download' and the second link. (No direct link, unless Rob is OK with that, which I doubt)
Download the network patch (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=295) and extract it. Copy the contents of the 295~24101 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).
Download the speed patch (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=1421) and extract it. Copy the contents of the woxl_patch folder inside the 1421~44169 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).
Rename the wipeoutxl folder of the game to wobble, and move it to C:\
Launch the executable. You can make a shortcut somewhere else.
Go into the options, set the weapons to on, the default view and the default tag for records.
Have fun!

Note: you can replace the default icon with one of the following, or search for your own. Vista supports higher resolution icons than the one the game comes with, so you can put a better looking one than the default. ;) Or just keep the one of the game, it's of a better resolution than I thought...

http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/2097

EDIT: It's true, it works faster still. Hmmm... >.< Maybe not 2x but faster. But hey, it works at least :)

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 08:38 PM
it's certainly playable, i'll give you that. but the dark bits in odessa are killing me. asayyeah's phantom vids on youtube are slower than my rapier by quite a long way. maybe some performance enhancing drugs are in order...
gotta love the wall scratching in 2097, makes a change from the deadly walls of HD :)

Darkdrium777
16th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah. I'm playing this **** with keyboard, imagine that!!! :rock
That last U-turn on Odessa is just wrong at that speed. lol

rdmx
16th January 2009, 11:26 PM
If you have a playstation version of the games, you may be better off using a PSX emulator :)

yeldar2097
17th January 2009, 03:14 PM
i know, keyboard is making things rather difficult for me too;). it's like a brand new 2097 challenge!
cunning plan insertcoin, mine's busy gathering dust at the moment. i was considering framing it but i might just try an emu

designer_79
20th February 2009, 04:09 AM
Wow, I didn't know 2097 is around for MAC, what a great day for me :) I will put this on my PowerBookG4 right away ... Does anybody know if you can use the PS3 Controller on the PB's USB port?? i will try after getting home anyway ... I am back in my teen-years again (WO nostalgia) , yaaaaaaay!! Hail to the fat cat!!

Sometimes it feels just good using a MAC :beer

designer_79
20th February 2009, 04:47 AM
Wow, I didn't know 2097 is around for MAC, what a great day for me :) I will put this on my PowerBookG4 right away ... Does anybody know if you can use the PS3 Controller on the PB's USB port?? i will try after getting home anyway ... I am back in my teen-years again (WO nostalgia) , yaaaaaaay!! Hail to the fat cat!!

Sometimes it feels just good using a MAC :beer

Update: Sorry what obviously wrong place to post, my apologies to the Mod's , I'll put it in the 2097 - Mac thread

Echthroi
2nd April 2009, 02:46 PM
I have it on my PC with Vista and it runs 'okay'.

but sometimes it shuts down entirely at random times during races. Normally I can get at least 30 minutes to an hour of playing it on my laptop.

It was a REALLY huge pain to get it to work at all.:frown:

I'm going to attempt to get it to work with a controller as well, so i dont have to use the arrow keys. That is such a pain!

penske
24th September 2009, 05:40 PM
The OP wanted to run woxl on vista...and as someone above suggested you can using ePSXe. I am using vista 64 bit, running the game with improved textures, antialiasing and high res and it looks absolutely gorgeous (despite the draw in) as does the original wipout. Simply stunning to see these two games run and look this beautiful after all these years.

Lance
24th September 2009, 07:39 PM
Is your name Roger, by any chance? ;)

penske
25th September 2009, 02:29 PM
no Rodger here, sorry --- just a long time aficionado of wo and woxl.

Lance
25th September 2009, 02:33 PM
I couldn't resist asking since Roger Penske is one of the greatest racing team creators/managers ever. He was racing his own little Porsches back when I first discovered the world of sports car racing in the U.S. before he retired from driving and went on to running teams. I just suspected that you adopted the name, "penske", because of that.

penske
25th September 2009, 06:53 PM
You sir, are correct. So many folks choose wipeout related ID's I could not think of anything. But I recalled Penske/Penske teams well known racing pedigree and just used that --- hope Roger doesn't mind.

Lance
25th September 2009, 06:56 PM
I took the unimaginative route of using my own real-life name. :D

stin
25th September 2009, 08:43 PM
Spooky!!!

stevie:blarg

Lance
25th September 2009, 08:46 PM
You and me, man, brothers in bravery. :)

DaWorFizm
20th July 2010, 02:33 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the PC version can be played perfectly by forcing v-sync on. (50hz if possible.)

icarasDragon
1st August 2010, 01:27 AM
I've tested and Windows 7 32-bit likes it and plays with no problems (With slowdown patch). Except your'e still going to get darker-than-dark tunnel sections on Sagarmatha etc. :|
Without slowdown it still likes it in the C:\WOBBLE directory, just that every ship turns faster than the FEISAR :twisted

Argroh Valdios
13th August 2010, 07:28 PM
I've made a comparison between the two versions.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/AV/Thingys/wipEoutThingys/wipeout2097screen01.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/AV/Thingys/wipEoutThingys/wipeout2097screen02.png
looks like the downloaded XL ver. has the bad draw distance.

Faitfull
29th September 2010, 03:18 PM
Im running vista Ultimate 64bit

whenever i try to run the game, after the first "screen" it cashes everytime, with the windows message:

"Wipeout 2097 / XL has stopped working, a problem was the reason to the program stopped functioned like it should, windows close the program and let you know if there is a solution."

I hope some of you can help me, simply love this game

I did the following:

# Download the version of yeldar: search for 'Wipeout 2097 download' on Google, the first link is the right one (Squakenet), click 'Where to download' and the second link. (No direct link, unless Rob is OK with that, which I doubt)

# Download the network patch and extract it. Copy the contents of the 295~24101 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).
>>>HERE it did not ask anything about duplicate files at all

# Download the speed patch and extract it. Copy the contents of the woxl_patch folder inside the 1421~44169 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).

# Rename the wipeoutxl folder of the game to wobble, and move it to C:\

# Launch the executable. You can make a shortcut somewhere else.

Thanks alot in advance
Faitfull