PDA

View Full Version : When the first download content will be released?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

kanar
8th April 2009, 10:02 PM
f*****g tired here. Great mess. But cool anyway. Fully agree with the stuffs stated above (connavar's list). I'm going to bed now.

SaturnReturn
8th April 2009, 10:02 PM
come on chill man, get some sleep and come back tomorrow you'll see this update is ok, there is only a little issue when people come to spectate, but it'll be fixed prolly soon, dont worry
trust SL man !

It's not just a little issue when people spectate at all. A lot has changed. The whole games feels different to me today. As Connavar says, barrel rolls that are easy as pie to execute just don't happen. I'm not the only one who thinks it's worse/different and not the only one annoyed with it. I don't get genuinely annoyed all that easily, but this has really annoyed me. Currently there is little of any value in this update. It's all show and no go.

Motorsagmannen
8th April 2009, 10:05 PM
i was going to edit my post but its better to put it out here for all to see:
thnx to mu5 i solved my logging problem and WO seems to be fulkly operational agan, so disregard my previous post.

edit: i will try out the features extensively through the night, so acctually what the update contained im not talking about here.

Axel
8th April 2009, 10:07 PM
My oh my. I really don't know how that split second freeze got through QA! It is really a game killer, especially flying round corners.

Now I'll give the guys their dues, some of the changes are fantastic like no BR's. Never liked em :). But people not able to sign in with their PSN ID is whack. I don't wanna be too critical on the guys cause I'm greatful for the continued support. But 2 months of development should have produced something a little more stable chaps.

But I do have faith that they will rectify the problem soon.

blackwiggle
8th April 2009, 10:15 PM
Premonition -what would you like to see next in wipeout HD-Ability to turn Spectator mode off.

Update 2.70 was already making online glitchy,it was inevitable spectator mode was going to make it more so.

I also bet that the amount of glitches you get is directly proportional to how many people you have on your friends list

I'm going to wait a few days before I install this patch.

RJ O'Connell
8th April 2009, 10:16 PM
^ No. Last thing we need is going backwards because it's not working in the first 24 hours.

Alejess
8th April 2009, 10:19 PM
Great update on paper, but the actual thing itself is rather too buggy. The in-game stutter/freeze is horrible, too much lag and the 'spectator' mode is poor quality (seen it done much better in other games).

However, this is day 1 of the update, so I wouldn’t get too agitated guys. When it comes to matters that jeopardise the viability of online gameplay, I have no doubt that SL will respond as swiftly as they can (eg game hosters who created a game and then wouldn’t start it; fixed by SL so that the game starts automatically).

Seraphim1982
8th April 2009, 10:23 PM
Just read the updated manual, seems you lose ranking points if you quit during a race or tournament. Thats a good change I think.

Mu5
8th April 2009, 10:23 PM
thnx to mu5 i solved my logging problem

Rapier Racer sent me that solution over PSN - Thanks to him!! :D

The fix again - After downloading the update sign out of PSN - Load HD...it should now work :) Then go into online :D

SaturnReturn
8th April 2009, 10:24 PM
I think the option to turn spectator mode off is a necessary one if the issue does not improve in the long term. I don't want to have to only play wipeout at 5am just to get a decent lag/freeze-free game. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in the hope that it improves over the next few days.

Soccermom
8th April 2009, 10:38 PM
Guys, chill out!
This is a major patch in terms of features. If you were expecting perfect server performance on patch day, I have to assume WO is the only game you have ever played online.
Give them 2-3 days to work out server-related issues, You can be sure they are testing out all the new features server-side as well right now - just as you are testing out the client-side changes.
Be happy that most of you are able to go online at all. I wouldn't have been surprised if the servers would have been more down than up the first 24 hours after such a patch.

Mu5
8th April 2009, 10:38 PM
Does the new feature of 'invite only' when creating a game not shield you from spectators?

Can you just jump in to any of your friends games when you feel like it?

d4onps
8th April 2009, 10:45 PM
thanks seraphim, i'll check out the manual.
hmm... the update has some great features. but where do i go to setup my cobwebbed negcon? :(

blackwiggle
8th April 2009, 10:47 PM
I doubt it,if it's not specific option in you create game online game setup.

Your at the mercy of how "Famous/notorious" you are I would think,meaning the really fast racers like Piraphaic,Wotan,Asayyeah etc are going to have a lot of spectators watching their races....pity them ATM if this lag thing isn't sorted.

il_NIK
8th April 2009, 10:59 PM
great problem with weapons pad: only one or two weapon pads in the entire race during alteregorr and other hosting. freeze at the start (thanks RR, but I have to use my girlmate nick -francygirl- for racing).

two "10x" race with great pilots :banzai NICE:lol

djKyoto
8th April 2009, 11:04 PM
Just got the update, game doesn't work anymore.
Playstation crashes during the 'Autosave reminder' screen just before the main menu.

My games peachy reliability has gone :frown:

blackwiggle
8th April 2009, 11:10 PM
djKyoto can you report back if you find a fix for this or it fixes itself.

I've purposely avoided this patch and don't want to install it untill I get an all clear.

That's if the "Sign out of the PSN and start from game fix" doesn't work for you.

BlochNWhitey
8th April 2009, 11:18 PM
I had the same issue, i just unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the ps3 and the game loaded up fine.

blackwiggle
8th April 2009, 11:27 PM
I gather you plugged it back in again and played online.
Everything working as it should?

BlochNWhitey
8th April 2009, 11:29 PM
Yup, no issues. Well besids the lag and etc.

blackwiggle
8th April 2009, 11:34 PM
I think I'll wait until KIGO1987 installs the patch [guinea pig].

Because if anything can go wrong with electronics it will happen to him.

Be prepared for Kigo setting a new record for swear words in one post;)

leungbok
8th April 2009, 11:41 PM
:lol :clap

Vartazian
8th April 2009, 11:44 PM
Def Like the patch so far. Already rank 8 =)

First I noticed is that Barrels are Nigh impossible right now.

The little lag spikes are a tad annoying though.

djKyoto
8th April 2009, 11:57 PM
Game works if im signed out of the PSN when I load up the game.

Connavar
9th April 2009, 12:01 AM
Loving this patch, the 10 laps races are fantastic, they're long enough so that the starting
position matters less than on a 5 laps race, and you need endurance too :)

Now if they can solve the slowdown, we'll get a perfect game here!

stinkleroy
9th April 2009, 12:03 AM
Tonight was the first night online and there was bound to be problems. I'm gonna wait and see for a few days before I make my judgement....it's just been nice to have something to get excited about in the world of wipeout again :D

LOUDandPROUD
9th April 2009, 12:14 AM
Just finished playing for about an hour and a half with a bunch of Zoners. My observations/experiences:

1) Had the "freeze up at the autosave info screen" deal happen, which was solved by logging out of PSN before loading the game, as already reported.

2) Plenty of lag and a lot of difficulty executing barrel rolls in the first room I was in.

3) Not nearly as much lag and much easier barrel roll execution (still not as easy as usual though) in the 2nd room I was in.

4) The bomb proximity problems have been fixed.

5) Mines have a bright green glow to them now, making them much easier to spot from a distance and in poorly lit sections of track.

6) The steering seems to have been tweaked slightly, as I had a noticeably easier time maintaining control of my ship and my lines. Either that, or I had a REALLY good day lol. I'm very curious as to whether or not anyone else feels the same way on this one.

7) Randomness of weapon pickups has been tweaked? I don't know...something seemed different. Maybe they give you what you need a little more? Not really sure...

8 - Oh, of course, I also experienced the little in-game micro-freezes on numerous occasions. Not more than twice during one race though...and sometimes not at all. Definitely has to be fixed though, as I flew off the track on Sol 2 a couple of times thanks to those little freezes.

9) Tried spectator mode and it was horrible. Somethings clearly wrong with it, as everyone I watched (good pilots) were all over the track, crashing into walls, going THROUGH walls, etc. Clearly not working properly.

10) Voice chat is WORSE, which I didn't think was possible.

Overall, I had a blast racing, even with the bugs that need fixing. Also, I concur with Soccermom completely on the whole server/bugs thing. We definitely have to be patient. This is just how it goes with these things. It will all be sorted out soon enough, for sure. I'm very happy with the direction SL went with these improvements! Lastly, I found it funny that the only badge I seemed to be getting (and I got it a whole bunch of times) was the "speed pad" badge. I assume that's for the pilot who hits the most speed pads...never realized I was so speed pad conscious or that I hit more of them than most folks (at least of the Zoners I played against tonight). Found that to be interesting. I'd really like a detailed breakout of all the badges to be posted soon!

HISHO[JP]
9th April 2009, 12:19 AM
The update came to japan.

The game freezes in auto save information, when started WOHD with signing up.:cold
The game freezes more often than older version.(While online racing, and the game room)

SL should release ver1.31 to fix them.:brickwall

Amorbis
9th April 2009, 12:35 AM
3) Not nearly as much lag and much easier barrel roll execution
6) The steering seems to have been tweaked slightly

I have to agree with you on those two points. Barrel rolls are for some reason harder to pull off, quite hard to explain. Maybe it has to be done quicker now to prevent happy accidents? If that is the case it should be a good thing. Steering wise I found it to be slightly easier to control the 6 handling ships than usual. I've been testing out Auricom as a possible candidate for a team transition and it is easier to handle than before yesterday. Maybe it's just a trick of the mind :blarg.

JABBERJAW
9th April 2009, 12:36 AM
Hopefully the barrell roll thing is worked out. It was finally close to being right after pure and pulse randomness, only now to be hit and miss. Surely, can this be fixed with the additional content, which seems to be causing it. Is it neccesary to download this before playing the game?

Mu5
9th April 2009, 12:37 AM
playing online - yes :)

Colin Berry
9th April 2009, 01:03 AM
Having not played the game for around 5months (development will do that to you) I put it on tonight to check out the new online patch. Early discussions on the badges and ranking aside (last October) I've kept away from it whilst it was being worked on, leaving the design in the more than capable hands of Karl Jones as I muck about on other things. Well my 30mins run out to check things out, turned into 2 and a half hours of online races and my first case of 'playstation thumb' for a good few weeks.

Minor teething problems aside (logging out to load up) I'm really happy and impressed with things, the implementation of the badges and rankings has added a new dimension and raises excitement about what might be coming next in terms of DLC.

Think I made it to rank 7 with about a dozen badges, had some really cool races too, got my arse kicked more times than I care to say though :D

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm hoping things will settle down a bit before I install the new patch [same thing happened with the previous one so I was expecting teething problems].
Colin can you explain or get somebody else to explain what the situation is with Spectator mode?
I mean how many spectators a game can have and if it is effected by the amount of players actually racing.

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 01:14 AM
6) The steering seems to have been tweaked slightly, as I had a noticeably easier time maintaining control of my ship and my lines. Either that, or I had a REALLY good day lol. I'm very curious as to whether or not anyone else feels the same way on this one.

then, it wasn't just an impression of mine, i did want to ask someone if the game physics was changed in some way, end/or graphics, cause since the first races after the patch i have had the costant sensation the game wasn't the same

i had few races, i raced off-line too, using harimau and after triakis, then mirage, it seems something like the grip had increased , i've the feeling of driving a ball linked to a thread in some turns, the centrifugal force seems to have an even greater effect now...i think ( and i still doubt anyway, until someone or something with an official word comes out confirming it ) that this sensation was because was like two weeks than i didn't play...but now that i read this...

i have had quite strange races with triakis ( harimau too )

eLhabib
9th April 2009, 01:17 AM
I don't think the steering has been tweaked, at least I didn't notice any difference in my trusty Auricom...

Yes, the mines have a glow now, which is good, and the bombs seem to be consitently avoidable on track. Also, leech beam now slows down the leeched craft a lot more than it did originally (which was almost unnoticeable).

And yes, I think the BRs need quicker execution now it seems. Also, I think their sound has been slightly changed...

Oh and 20 lap avalon races are the BOMB :D

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 01:19 AM
I haven't tried it yet but by the reports coming in it seem the pitch might of been tweaked,that would account for the BR's being harder to do and the craft handling seeming firmer.

superpj1
9th April 2009, 01:25 AM
Just got the update, game doesn't work anymore.
Playstation crashes during the 'Autosave reminder' screen just before the main menu.

My games peachy reliability has gone :frown:

Same here ! Game freezes at the auto-save screen. I'll try to disable internet connexion to see if it fixes the bug.

zeeZ
9th April 2009, 02:17 AM
Colin can you explain or get somebody else to explain what the situation is with Spectator mode?
I mean how many spectators a game can have and if it is effected by the amount of players actually racing.

Your game has 8 slots.
Any slots not filled during a race can be spectator slots.
Spectators are added to the host lobby screen thing, just as if they joined a race not in progress, but additionally get a screen with the status of the race, like current leader, track, laps done and the spectat0rize button

FatScarf
9th April 2009, 02:25 AM
anyone else notice some sort of tweaking to the effect when you progress through tiers in Zone? Like a slightly new blur or bloom effect... or maybe i'm going weird. Great job Colin and the rest of the team. SCE Liverpool/Psygnosis ftw.

ah nm, found the thread about zone changes.

LOUDandPROUD
9th April 2009, 02:45 AM
@ eLhabib - Good call on the Leech Beam slowing you down more. I absolutely noticed the same thing, but forgot to mention it in my earlier post. I got the feeling that the effect of being hit by other weapons was slightly tweaked, as well...might just be me though.

Overall, the game just feels a little more real to me after the update...I don't know how else to put it. I'm liking it though.

IH8YOU
9th April 2009, 02:46 AM
Superpj - before launching the game - under playstation network (XMB) - press triangle - and log out of PSN. Launch the game, after it's up, log back in.

I had the same issue where it would freeze - and after I did that - it *appears to be working*

Shh, don't let it hear you say that!

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 03:49 AM
Just had a couple of 20 lap Phantom speed no BR or weapon races with Klax75 and motorsagmannen.
Icarus is defiantly the craft for that if your smooth.

d4onps
9th April 2009, 04:06 AM
could somebody kindly point the way to the game manual. i heard it's been updated with the new features and i'd like to read it. thanks!

Darkdrium777
9th April 2009, 04:18 AM
The game manual is inside the game itself.
Next best thing is www.wipeouthd.com

Feisar31
9th April 2009, 04:27 AM

I felt I noticed something different about the ship handling as well ... hard to say though.

The leech beam is definitely a better weapon now: does it take more health too? The bomb fix and the changes to the mines are great. The collision detection for the mines seemed to be more precise: I was able to squeeze past them or around them more easily.

The glitching when people join your game is pretty awful; something really needs to be done about that. For now I'll try to join games when they aren't in progress, if there are plenty of slots available. I also had the game freeze in the middle of a race when I was hosting--had to shut off the PS3.

The automatic starting of the race has also changed, right? The timer comes up way too fast when you're coming back from an 8-player race, and I also had a race start automatically when I had left it on the ship select screen for a moment (as the host).

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 04:52 AM
What's with people exploding at the start?

That happened a few times,not to me,but their carcasses were left strewn across the starting grid and they are a bit off putting at first,I wondered what this large black lump was lying across the track.

Vartazian
9th April 2009, 05:11 AM
Those are the people that dropped at the start or in the previous race in the tournament.

I personally love it. A glorious explosion at the start of every race!

phaeton_pl
9th April 2009, 05:22 AM
Did anyone played ZONE mode after an update? I noticed a slight change in graphics when the "named" zones are changing? It looks like a strong light flash/more blurring effect? Or is my TV changing setting by itself? ;) OK, I FOUND ANOTHER TOPIC.

Racing online was a big lag-fest for me, hope its due the number of players online.

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 06:07 AM
I think the exploding ships at the start are going to go the way the little nationality flags that used to appear near the players name [over the craft] whilst racing online.

It [the exploding ships] only happened on a few occasions then it stopped,even though the situation was the same,pity I kind of liked it,even though it really startled me when I first saw it.

Vartazian
9th April 2009, 08:09 AM
Its Consistent for me. Hell you exploded a few times yourself off the finish line!

Pun intended... :P

Darkdrium777
9th April 2009, 08:15 AM
Explosion = disconnected.

I have been disconnected. The worse disconnect you can get.

3-2-1-GO! Turbo start! KABOOM "Network Error" complete with screen tearing and snow. Yes, snow. Like this:

http://www.graphpaper.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/noise.gif

Vartazian
9th April 2009, 08:21 AM
I found that if the person disconnected out of the tournament (8 races) in lets say the 3rd race. He/She Continued to Explode at the start of every race till the 8th one was completed.. Maybe its a Bad glitch

It looks Damn cool though.

Sch@dows
9th April 2009, 08:33 AM
Exploding ships are annoying the first times, but i don't care now.

I don't know about the bomb proximity bug before (didn't played online very much) but I find it very inaccurate today (v1.30). I evade several bomb, but it still explodes although I didn't touch it (and it wasn't another guy fault).

Contrary to the mines, you really have to be far from the bomb for it not to explode.

I want new races, eliminator, easier lecture of the online board (race in progress, races included in a tournament, etc.) :hyper

Vartazian
9th April 2009, 08:42 AM
Bombs Were horribly Coded into the online system.It seemed to be that if you ran straight at it (Prior 1.3) the bomb wouldnt go off but if you went ANYWHERE in the general proximity of it, it would detonate.

1.3 has seemed to Rectify this Maybe... Once Ive "hit" a bomb that I shouldnt of "hit" Every other time it was my Crappy piloting or Another Pilots Great placement that took me out.

On a side note... anybody notice a Increased frequency of "blue" weapons popping up? Same goes for quakes.

Sch@dows
9th April 2009, 09:05 AM
Oki, thank you for the bomb history.

For the weapons, I didn't notice anything special. I still have useless items (shield, mines, bomb, autopilot, plasma, etc.) when I'm in 2nd position, and the 1st is right in front of me u_u

Sch@dows
9th April 2009, 09:06 AM
Oki, thank you for the bomb history.

For the weapons, I didn't notice anything special. I still have useless items (shield, mines, bomb, autopilot, plasma, etc.) when I'm in 2nd position, and the 1st is right in front of me u_u

MR-RICO84
9th April 2009, 10:43 AM
I think there is a definite improvement in your chance of picking up a useful weapon now! I managed to claw back about 7 seconds over the last lap and a half against a really good pilot over 8 laps (He/she was still about 6 secs a ahead (they where really really good honest guv!))
A few weeks ago I was racing with just me and subtotal and we where almost predicting what weapons would be picked up as we went along, i.e. the guy in front getting loads of boosts and auto pilots and the guy behind get zilch.
Now it seems you get handed everything you need to make a good fight of it every time! (If you have the skill to which I do not:frown:)

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 11:00 AM
studio liverpool have prove that they listen to the request and wishes of the people, within the limits of their power if they can do a thing, i think they do it
some people want BR on/off, they have done
some wants more trophies/acchievements they have put the badges & ranking
a friend of us here and other people wants so much an on/off option for the pilot assist , they've done
and so on

now i have one serious request, please pay attention to me and listen , please:

PLEASE SL THE SINKING PROBLEM CAN BE FIXED IN A FUTURE PATCH

this still ruin my racing experience, expecially moa therma reverse, in the chicane before the tunnel, i cannot use anymore a wider ship like mirage, everytime i do the left-right-left my ship sink considerably under the track... it's a mess...

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 11:04 AM
I wonder if what you previous/total badge count awarded to you for particular "Known methods" has any outcome on what you now pick up when running over weapons pads.

A sort of AI of weapons pick ups depending on your method of online play.

LOUDandPROUD
9th April 2009, 01:07 PM
The collision detection for the mines seemed to be more precise: I was able to squeeze past them or around them more easily.

Yup, I noticed this, as well!

aerobie
9th April 2009, 01:14 PM
I've read through this thread as carefully as I could and I didn't see an answer to this yet: The log out of PSN workaround: do you have to do that every time you start WOHD? Or does it fix the problem after the first time?

stinkleroy
9th April 2009, 01:53 PM
I think the most shocking thing about this update for me was getting to see how many people actually use PA online. 5/7 phantom games last night were PA enabled. :o

Golgofier
9th April 2009, 01:57 PM
I've read through this thread as carefully as I could and I didn't see an answer to this yet: The log out of PSN workaround: do you have to do that every time you start WOHD? Or does it fix the problem after the first time?

Couldn't say but yesterday when the game froze at startup I used the workaround. This morning I forgot about it but it didn't freeze. Hopefully, that means they've fixed things up a bit, server side.

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 02:11 PM
how many of you feels something strange in the handling?

yesterday i've no time to test some out, now i've just finished some races of OFF-LINE game, i've used only the archetypal ships, the poles apart ones, feisar-harimau-assegai then triakis-piranha-auricom

-now seems there's no edge beetween the ships of the same kind, feisar seems heavier than before, harimau too, now harimau seems even a 8 handling ship if not under

the heavier ships feels lighter and lighter heavier, than before :blarg

-TRIAKIS seems SPEEDIER and LIGHTER!:blarg

-seems the handling edge have been closed now beetwen the extremes
personaly i don't like this thing, if it is true

i'm very confused, someone should come out and confirm this things, if these tweaks have been done for real , or these are just all tricks of mind, or many people will turn crazy!

i've noticed other many things but for now i want to focus/talk/get in depht on this argument which i'm more keen and worried about

guys PLAY OFF-LINE TOO!

Sch@dows
9th April 2009, 03:09 PM
Couldn't say but yesterday when the game froze at startup I used the workaround. This morning I forgot about it but it didn't freeze. Hopefully, that means they've fixed things up a bit, server side.I've read another workaround for the freeze was to delete the saved data. So, I think it's not a server side fix, but saved data were updated after playing yesterday allowing the game to works fine after 1 use of the PSN disconnection workaround

Connavar
9th April 2009, 03:38 PM
stinkleroy: games with PA enabled are not necessary games with PA players.

RJ O'Connell
9th April 2009, 04:21 PM
Well, the update got on to Slow-taku (http://kotaku.com/5204572/new-wipeout-hd-update-is-gonna-need-its-own-update) for the wrong reasons. And this doesn't even acknowledge the issues we've been talking about here.

Though, honestly, as I said earlier I must be playing a different game where 1.30 isn't fecking up as badly as other people are saying. I still have my save game, custom controller settings, etc. Aside from a few weird disconnects that hurt my rank, this new update is the bee's knees for now. But I will gladly take a v1.31 soon.

As for Triakis being faster, I like that. Now Triakis won't be totally useless.

Amorbis
9th April 2009, 04:27 PM
It's good to know I wasn't the only one where the controls didn't reset. I would have noticed too; I use a Saturn pad with 6 face buttons.

The new issues that have risen due to the update do need to be addressed but some of them have been blown out of proportion a bit. Fundamentally the game is still the same only with a few handling tweaks and weird barrel rolls. The thing that needs fixing the most is the freezing and pausing because that is really irritating. Icaras feels different and I've found a friend in Auricom which was unexpected.

I think we should try to be positive about this. It was a good update for features, but had a few unexpected things added in.

Cerbis
9th April 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure if it's due to my relative inexperience, but I haven't noticed any handling changes. My Piranha feels the same as it's always felt in the corners! (Why hello outer barrier, care for a cuppa tea?)

If there's any changes, perhaps it's to the camera? Somehow it feels a bit more... I'm not sure, but maybe the camera has been tweaked to follow your craft a bit better? The camera doesn't seem to feel quite as... "loose" as before.

Can anyone pinpoint any definite changes to the handling?

JABBERJAW
9th April 2009, 05:01 PM
I haven't downloaded it yet because of the problems I am hearing about. Here a few possible constructive questions I hope could be addressed by SL

1) Is the game laggy/framerate slower due to people watching in specator mode. If so, could there be an option to turn Spectator Mode OFF

2) If the Barrel Rolls not happening due to lag cannot be fixed, Can there be an option to not download this patch?

3) I love new material for the game, but not if it is going to hurt the GAMEPLAY, that finally came into it's own in HD, where the framerate was excellent, minimal lag, and Barrel rolls worked 95% of the time.

4) Is the game the same speed as before, with the physics being what seems to be slightly different?

5) I really liked the Physics where they were, A little more grippy than pure, but less than pulse, does it feel more like pulse now?

chboing
9th April 2009, 05:39 PM
I think we should try to be positive about this. It was a good update for features, but had a few unexpected things added in.

thx !
totally agree
people whinning everywhere are a bit boring imho :)

edit: i upped 2 or 3 multiplayer race time of mine with this new update ... so cant be THAT bad !

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 05:46 PM
1}You didn't "Originally " like the Physics the way they were,You, I, and everybody else bitched about how HD differed from other Wipeouts in that regards.
We got used to it,took a while ,but it happened [apart from Infoxicated that wouldn't have a bar of the BR situation,{could there be a reappearance?} ]

2] The handling Physics have changed ,SL's PR Department can go blue in the face trying to tell us otherwise [they haven't] but only those who know the game can truly tell.

3] BR's have DEFIANTLY changed, well the Chance of execution has, that's diminished by a huge amount,not just at the oblique points ,but most noticable at the most previously prominent points.

4] Speed changes are debatable,it depends if /how many Spectators are viewing/waiting for entry into said game.
You get the occasional lag free game,but only if it has a full field of 8.
That seems to be the depending factor.

5] Not having played PULSE online myself I am not qualified to answer,but from what messages I have got & replied to it would seem this is so.

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 05:50 PM
As for Triakis being faster, I like that. Now Triakis won't be totally useless.

ok, i'm more than happy of this, i'm not happy that ships like harimau and feisar feels heavier and behave like crazy horses sometimes...

If there's any changes, perhaps it's to the camera? Somehow it feels a bit more... I'm not sure, but maybe the camera has been tweaked to follow your craft a bit better? The camera doesn't seem to feel quite as... "loose" as before.

then...definitely i'm not totally crazy, i've noticed something changed in camera too, seems the ships are slighly far, higher angle , so sligthly little on screen...am i a paranoid?
then, if i haven't noticed this before now and there alwais was, feel free to offend me :
at start some ship like triakis aren't entirely on the camera, the exhaust are for 1/4 cut out of screen, other ships like harimau,feisar are completely on camera and there is space leftover

definitely someone from SL or Sony must come out and say something about, or there will start a thread

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 05:51 PM
If the update hadn't screwed up so badly then yeah, sure, great. So many people are whining because it's crap. It's perfectly justified. Besides, if I don't whine, then what am I supposed to do while I'm avoiding WipEout like the plague because it's been ruined? Maybe I'll just play offline, supposedly that's not affected too badly.

A lot of the issues seem to show a complete lack of thought. Spectators are coming top of records tables. That's ludicrous. Ship handling has changed. Why? There's no good reason for it. Barrel rolls don't work properly. If you don't like them then fine, but I've worked hard at them and now they don't work at all half the time. There were bad lag issues before, but instead of doing something to fix them them they pile on a load of stuff that makes it worse. Yeah, brilliant idea.

The whole online interface is, in my opinion, very messy now. Before we had less "features" but at least it was a fairly sleek setup and was a game I loved and had played more than any other game I've ever owned. Actually, there's a good chance I've played WipEout HD more than all other games I've owned put together. No joke!

Maybe they should have introduced things gradually and tested them out rather than shoving them all in there in one go only for the majority of them to not work well at all and for the basic game dynamic to be completely screwed.

Colin Berry
9th April 2009, 06:00 PM
I havent noticed any handling or physics changes (and I'd be surprised if there were any) certainly the Qirex is as it was when I set it, though admittedly thats all I used last night. I'll make an enquiry next week though.

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 06:15 PM
I've been playing Wipeout before the vast majority of current players were born.

Every incarnation of this game has been slightly different.
Some have sucked [Fusion} but this game has always had a phoenix looking over it.

This update/Patch should be considered as a basically NEW VERSION of HD.

I think,the thinking behind this update has a lot of "Be Prepared" about it.

The DLC we have all been waiting and hoping for might not of fitted in to what we have recently been playing .

A new, bold,different version,what we have been requesting WIPEOUT might hit us all very soon.

ADJUST .

If you stand still you are a target ....SL has never been a Target.
;)

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 06:19 PM
OK, so it's a new game. So who stole my old game and how can I get it back? How does anyone have the right to:
1. Take something I've paid for away from me?
2. Render the hundreds of hours I've spent playing and improving all but useless?

Give me the option to also play the game as it was in its standard guise and I'll be happy. Until then I'll just be pissed.

Golgofier
9th April 2009, 06:20 PM
Well, this is the risk every game developer runs when implementing changes in an already established game.
Some will embrace the changes, some will not. Some will be happy with whats been done and feel it has made the game even better, while some will feel like they've been stabbed in the back and will want their old game back.

I hear what you're saying Saturn and I agree with you on some points, but not enough to sway me from playing. If you and others feel this update has completly ruined the game for you, well that really sucks and I'm sorry for you! It would be a real shame if WO lost fine players because of this. Personally though, I feel it's made an already awesome game even better, aside from the lag/glitch issues which I trust SL will sort out.

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 06:22 PM
Golgofier, that's a massive part of the problem. They're not sorted out many of the other issues so far. So I have little faith they can get this to work properly, no matter how much time they have.

Avenger2197
9th April 2009, 06:31 PM
Regardless of the minor hiccups with the update, I'm very happy with it. The new features of online are great imo. Badges make every race or tourny interesting, over and over again.

I do however hope that a fix for the framerate stutters arrives soon. It has cost me more than one race already.:frown:

I actually like how the options are displayed, it's much easier to read.(maybe not the races in a tourny, but still) I do think also that races in progress should be a dark grey instead of the blue, and full races in black or red.

The ranking system may have to grow on me. I'm not too keen on the way it reverts you back to the rank you were before the race, or races. I think it should keep those races you've completed as your added ranking. DC's happen and isn't quite fair in that regard.

Golgofier
9th April 2009, 06:32 PM
Golgofier, that's a massive part of the problem. They're not sorted out many of the other issues so far. So I have little faith they can get this to work properly, no matter how much time they have.

Yes I know they have failed so far in fixing some of the game issues that have been brought up since WO HD launched and expecting them so fix them now would be naive. However, the micro-lagging/glitching is completely unacceptable and I have to trust SL will do something about it. If they dont, it would be like a car manufacturer not fixing randomly detonating airbags (in lack of a better metaphor :P )

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 06:37 PM
I agree, I hope so, and I like you're metaphor.

blackwiggle
9th April 2009, 06:40 PM
They will sort it.

Saturn you have the satisfaction of being one of the best players ever of this [ current version] of this game,you times are proof.

You have to look ahead at the challenges that will BE.

Everybody that plays the game will now be on an even footing ,are you up to the NEXT challenge?

When it appears.

Go for that,the goal posts have been moved

JABBERJAW
9th April 2009, 06:46 PM
I'll reply to the other stuff later, but I did not bitch about the physics in HD. I didn't expect them to be different from pulse, and they ended up being better than pure or pulse, which I liked. I've always said I like xl, but never expected those physics. I was happy that the bugs from the other two previous games were fixed, but now it seems they are back in (at least the Br thing). I'd like to play it, but am scared to dL it now. There is enough swearing in my house atm practicing pulse :) to add more. I guess in the end I'll download it because it will be required.

Golgofier
9th April 2009, 06:50 PM
Hehe, I like your idea, blackwiggle, of something new and game-changing (and a bit ominous :eek ) being right around the corner.
I would be surprised if it's more than a couple of new tracks/ships but I hope I'll be proven wrong...

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Fine, move the goal posts, but wait for me to score. There are still a lot of things in the game I can't do - moves I can't pull off. I wasn't where I wanted to be yet. If a whole new game came out then that would be a different matter. I could still play the old one, I could still enjoy it, and I could still progress. I could also start the new challenge of a new game with everyone else. I can't do the former, and I can't do the latter because the game is so buggy.

Am I the only one that sees that a load of crappy badges and other largely useless content has replaced a game which was truly amazing?

Am I the only one that sees a complete and utter lack of foresight in this update? A lack of effort, a lack of testing, a lack of intelligence. Half of the problems just shouldn't be there. They shouldn't need extensive online testing to find issues like the thing with the race times for spectators, or the fact that handling has completely changed.

It's a half-arsed update to renew interest in a game in order to make more money from people. It's cheap advertising. They add one or two things that devoted players actually want, such as no PA option, in the hope that they'll forgive them for ****ing up everything else. If they're gonna make a new game then fine. Put the effort in and make a new game. Don't give me some bullshit that ****s up a product I've paid for and put a hell of a lot of soul into just to make a quick buck. Can no-one else see that's what's happened? Seriously!

Anyway, that's it for me. Certain people have told me that they agree with me. Most aren't as pissed off as I am but some are. If one of them tells me it's improved then good, I'll give it another go. Until then you will not see me playing WipEout HD online.

Asayyeah
9th April 2009, 07:09 PM
About handling i haven't seen any difference atm, Ag sys seems to me the same it was before, also internal view hasn't changed imho.
When i 1st race after solving the bug of the patch (thx RR ;) ) I had 2 races to get back to normal feeling ( 1st was completely *****y due to control sheme changed, 2nd race : just because i am a diesal :D )

I haven't raced offline yet, will test during this coming weekend.

I am very impressed from the new patch and all the good job SL put in it :)

Of course i had those slowdowns ( mostly depending on who was the hoster), grey pad and BR not working all the time ( idem : depending on the hoster and possibly the rank into the race ) also some freakin impressive freezes for 2 sec ( only 5 of them during my 4 hours session) anyway except those , all the new features brang by SL worth more than a try ! i am addicted and only regret one thing = HD should have been released 2 or 3 years ago when i had the time i wanted for playing...

==> PLEASE SATURN : give it a go again matey , worth it and it's not because i have the 'saturn logo ' for my PS profile but for me the handling hasn't changed : have a look into your control and modify the % for airbrakes or else i am sure you can get back to your original feeling.

chboing
9th April 2009, 07:21 PM
==> PLEASE SATURN : give it a go again matey , worth it and it's not because i have the 'saturn logo ' for my PS profile but for me the handling hasn't changed : have a look into your control and modify the % for airbrakes or else i am sure you can get back to your original feeling.

same advice

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 07:25 PM
I havent noticed any handling or physics changes (and I'd be surprised if there were any) certainly the Qirex is as it was when I set it, though admittedly thats all I used last night. I'll make an enquiry next week though.

thank U colin let us know, anyway this supposed change is obviously more evident in the "opposite pole " ships, the heavier and the lighter

The DLC we have all been waiting and hoping for might not of fitted in to what we have recently been playing .

not to be a whiny bitch mofo but for me this is an UPDATE ,a PATCH, to be more precise patch 1.30 the first considerable patch, i'm happy of this , just because it imply that the game is supported, but this isn't DLC,
DLC are tracks, ships, modes, all this is good but i cannot consider it as DLC
don't come to tell me that the DLC all we waiting for, the secret stuff they are working on since late october is this stuff because in that case i will stop playing immediately
i repeat , all this is very good , thank U SL but i cannot believe over 6 months of working and waiting for us and we get this

don't want to sound direspectful

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 07:29 PM
The airbrakes settings hadn't changed on mine. I checked straight away when stinkleroy told me hers had. Mine were the same as ever but still felt wrong. I think my anger has passed a bit. Right now--->:frown:

I hope the next stage invloves getting over it. I miss all you frenchies already.

Come to think of it. Is it possible that the airbrakes settings had changed but that it just 'appeared' to be at 10%? It definitely said 10% for both sensitivities.

Someone suggested somewhere that maybe camera angles had changed slightly. This could explain why it feels different in external views but not cockpit view.

EDIT: Oh and I'm worried for guys like darkfaerytales that were awaiting DLC. I was thinking earlier that this could be the thing previously mentioned that SL were 'working' on. If so then that wouldn't be good for those who wanted new tracks etc. I'm off to play Pure now, I never did get anywhere with that one.

yeldar2097
9th April 2009, 08:15 PM
my handling feels different and i use default settings cos i'm lazy.
maybe i'm just imagining it though (genuine comment, not sarcastic)

JABBERJAW
9th April 2009, 08:39 PM
It is possible that Arnaud and others do not see a difference in the handling because they play first person, and use alot of different ships, or there is none? Playing in third person allows you to see your ship and it may look different as it is turning. Maybe I will try tonight on a TT before I download the extra content, then download, then try the TT again. I only want to use one ship, Is there any specific ship someone would like me to use, that they think feels different?

I am still worried about the Barrel roll bug, meaning not being able to do it. It wasn't able to be fixed for pure or pulse, and if all of this new content is staying in, is there any way to fix it? I would put my money down, that the spectator mode is causing it, does anyone who knows something about programming have any different ideas?

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 09:01 PM
EDIT: Oh and I'm worried for guys like darkfaerytales that were awaiting DLC. I was thinking earlier that this could be the thing previously mentioned that SL were 'working' on. If so then that wouldn't be good for those who wanted new tracks etc. I'm off to play Pure now, I never did get anywhere with that one.

ok, not to be direspectful again, but then this is not DLC, this cannot be call DLC
these are a bunch of options and tiny nice logos and script on a screen, a nice bunch of cool graphics
it's like to point a cat and pretend to call it horse
at very cost to pass for a cynic mofo i cannot explain myself how people can be so glad for it

i will be very very happy & satisfied if and/or when we will get a couple of tracks,or ships, who maybe are something different from a dozen of logos on a screen and 4-5 although very cool options...

sorry for my cynical tone

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 09:06 PM
I didn't say this was DLC. I referred to it as a thing. I can't exactly remember what we were told was coming. I just remember that some 'thing' was being worked on. I'm saying that I hope this thing isn't that thing and that DLC will still come.

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 09:18 PM
i hope too, i'm not refering to what you said , i was refering in general way, colin was refering to DLC when he told us that the core team were working on something , just go back some pages in this thread and read

it sound too strange to me that they're working since fall 2008 to this patch...anyway i can't tell i'm not a programer

SaturnReturn
9th April 2009, 09:25 PM
He also said he hadn't worked on the game in a while and that he couldn't say what DLC would be or when. There is always the risk that he has been informed by someone who either confused the term DLC or just doesn't use it as strictly as you or I. I did after all have to download something which could easily be considered content, not by me, but by others.

Still, the fact that they've updated the game at least shows that they're supporting it on some level and that is a promising sign for further support and some genuine quailty DLC. If I had new tracks and ships then I'd be more inclined to play again.

YouAreFubar
9th April 2009, 09:27 PM
I hope there is actual DLC to come! I personally like the update. The rank system could have been better, maybe giving points for being in top 3 only and losing points for being in the bottom 3, but apart from that the updates are good. Especially PA off and 20 lap races!!!! Thanks SL!!!!

The only issues I have along with others is micro-lag, the auto-save issue and more frequent online game freezes. About once a week after a few races I would be playing online and the game would just freeze and the PS3 becomes completely unresponsive. Id have to turn the PS3 off and reload to get back online. Last night in the hour and a half I played this happened twice, im hoping this doesnt become more regular because it is very annoying.

darkfaerytales
9th April 2009, 09:55 PM
ok, be realist, we race in the same 8 tracks with the same two courses/directions , with the same 12 model of ships of the same teams, in the same 5 variants ( modes , 6 if you count online )

now we have options that are available only for on-line not for off-line
now we can choose to pilot assist on/off
barrel rolls on/off
invite friends, select for quit a lap in speed lap
a spectator mode who is a mess...
and badges who are like trophies , cool but you don't go anywhere with them...

options...

i know my pragmatism is annoying , but this is the truth, i'm a ****ing hard headed, i don't let me fooled so easily

i wonder how much time will past before people begin to feel the void again

we will see, if this is a strategic move to release before this patch focused on the on-line play for appeal more people ( and more new people ) so that when the flames are hot and hotter the DLC comes out , it's a brilliant move:+
,brilliant
in the other case, and this stuff is what they were working, i rest in silence wordless...

guggle
9th April 2009, 10:33 PM
For what it's worth here's my thoughts:

I liked the update. Sure there's some glitches that need sorting, but the update as a whole has added to the experience of playing WipEout online. The hanging at the start was probably the most scariest part for me!! I thought that my beloved game had been trashed for good. A quick search of Google soon solved that problem though!!

I like the feature that now allows you to see ALL races - in the past most of the time you had no idea if anyone was actually racing. Also the ability to see your friends and join them is great!

Someone in an earlier post mentioned the Leech Beam seemed to slow you down more. I absolutely agree with that. I also felt the controller vibrate more violently while being leeched. The bomb proximity problem finally has been fixed, but it took a bit of getting used to. I think it was LOUDandPROUD who said in an earlier post that the physics have changed as well. I tend to agree although it's hard to nail exactly what has changed, but for the first hour or so last night I was all over the place and got severely hammered.

The spectator mode need addressing, its very jerky, and would be good if you could rotate the view of the camera. However, as I said earlier, this is just one of those glitches that I'm sure will be fixed.

All in all, a good job, and can't wait for the fixes and the next one!!!

chboing
10th April 2009, 07:56 AM
sorry bad post

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 01:01 PM
ok, be realist,...
...we will see, if this is a strategic move to release before this patch focused on the on-line play for appeal more people ( and more new people ) so that when the flames are hot and hotter the DLC comes out , it's a brilliant move:+
,brilliant

Realistically yes, DLC should come and in the mean time the update is a brilliant marketing move. There's no doubt about that.

Colin Berry
10th April 2009, 01:17 PM
He also said he hadn't worked on the game in a while and that he couldn't say what DLC would be or when. There is always the risk that he has been informed by someone who either confused the term DLC or just doesn't use it as strictly as you or I. I did after all have to download something which could easily be considered content, not by me, but by others.

Still, the fact that they've updated the game at least shows that they're supporting it on some level and that is a promising sign for further support and some genuine quailty DLC. If I had new tracks and ships then I'd be more inclined to play again.

This was a patch not DLC, yes it had some 'content' I guess with badges etc, but the DLC patch / update / thing is separate.

In short there is DLC in addition, and no I cant tell you what it is or when or any other details, sorry (its for others to announce, not me) but people wont be disappointed, hopefully it will be announced more than a day or two in advance of release but thats unfortunately beyond the controls of the team.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 01:23 PM
Great. Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure it's appreciated by many after my doubtful reponse. I shall be less sceptical in future.

Colin Berry
10th April 2009, 01:39 PM
I understand where people are coming from, as do the team. As developers we want news out there, marketing, people standing shouting from the roof tops about whats coming. But its not our remit, its the job of others to 'promote' thats what they get paid for, so whilst many would like to say things, they cant. Indeed its a reason not many of the team post on the forum often, we'd likely let things slip :D

Regarding the patch not being perfect, there are some small issues (the initial lock up happened to me :( ), I trust they'll be ironed out. There are also some things people are experiencing that others arent; I cant find a difference in the ships, and I'm assured there isnt one, likewise the weapon regularity etc. I'll have a look next week, but all I will say is, IF the ships had been altered (or weapons), even just one ship, it would have almost certainly been in the 'patch notes' we are upfront about such things. If there is an issue it could be a by product of something else, for example the BR online is affected by online code, so a change for something else might have an effect, meaning it can likely be looked into.

I think patches like this, be it Wipeout, or another game, are by their nature often going to seem like 2 steps forward with one step back. Personally I see it as two large steps forward, and one tiny stumble, that will hopefully be ironed out.

darkfaerytales
10th April 2009, 01:48 PM
Colin I Love You, would You marry ME?

Colin Berry
10th April 2009, 01:50 PM
haha uhm
my fiancee wouldnt be too happy :D

Sch@dows
10th April 2009, 01:53 PM
the more the merrier ^_~

yeldar2097
10th April 2009, 02:12 PM
I cant find a difference in the ships, and I'm assured there isnt one.....If there is an issue it could be a by product of something else, for example the BR online is affected by online code, so a change for something else might have an effect, meaning it can likely be looked into.

Well from what I've found most of the issues seem to be online. I was hideously frustrated last night so I did some offline stuff (bit of a novelty actually:)) and the ships in offline mode didn't seem different, I could BR to my heart's content and those bastard mines weren't (quite) so troublesome.

Glad to know they're trying to get things sorted. My precious wipeout needs feels less precious without online play...

Offline ftw!! :D

Darkdrium777
10th April 2009, 05:19 PM
Colin thank you for your time :)

Cyberio
10th April 2009, 06:31 PM
I didn't update yet, seeing the comments of the fans. I expect the 1.31 soon, but fixing that starting problem, and some others, would be a great update of course.

And having the expected DLC would give more hours than the 100 i have now. As i said in all posts mentioning my desires for DLC, i expect classic tracks (altima vii, gare d'europa, or others) more than pulse ones.

mdhay
10th April 2009, 07:53 PM
This was a patch not DLC, yes it had some 'content' I guess with badges etc, but the DLC patch / update / thing is separate.

In short there is DLC in addition, and no I cant tell you what it is or when or any other details, sorry (its for others to announce, not me) but people wont be disappointed, hopefully it will be announced more than a day or two in advance of release but thats unfortunately beyond the controls of the team.

Is this DLC going to be free that you know of ?

blackwiggle
10th April 2009, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=JABBERJAW;120694]It is possible that Arnaud and others do not see a difference in the handling because they play first person, and use alot of different ships, or there is none? Playing in third person allows you to see your ship and it may look different as it is turning.

I have always played in first person ,well until the patch, when you view can mysteriously change for no apparent reason [a race ruin er if ever there was one]that's happen twice now.

There is a difference with the handling when online, a bit stiffer and the craft seem to sit slightly lower to the track [ I had one race on Anulpha and it was if my craft was partially sunk into the track when on the overpass],BR's are a lot harder to do ,it's as if the response from the controller has been slowed down [in the steering from the D-Pad,I don't know if the sticks are effected] ,just a fraction ,but enough to effect BR's

RJ O'Connell
11th April 2009, 09:48 PM
The analog stick still works like a charm for me.

RagnaRock
11th April 2009, 09:49 PM
there should be a thread with our "wishes" for this new download to come...

i would like to see some sort of trial mode (sort of the ones we have in sf4) were we could unlock some videos and conceptual artwork.

this way i could learn some tricks to drive better and unlock stuff :D

p.s: I play mostly offline so...

Lance
12th April 2009, 02:27 AM
Isn't there already such a thread?

darkfaerytales
12th April 2009, 02:29 AM
but people wont be disappointed

Colin is that kind of person that when comes out to talk brings always the light and good news:beer

i've quoted the best part of the post, i believe ( and hope ) after all those threads and polls about what's people's favoutites tracks and ships and the return of the missed modes, it's quite clear what the people's wishes are, coming out with such assertion which ooze confidence and positivity , it speaks long way i think

heeheh i hope your personal tastes gave contribution Colin ( ehm cough statenpark coughcough );)

leungbok
12th April 2009, 08:20 AM
Don't ask for eliminator mode anymore, it already exist now, it's named : multiplayer races ;)

kaori
12th April 2009, 10:04 AM
20 laps no absorbing, boum boum boum :bomb:bomb:bomb

Feisar Ltd.
12th April 2009, 10:59 PM
Grrr >: ( I just finished listening to the newest PSNation podcast and Glenn (one of the two hosts) knows what it is but he can't tell us. Quickly... berate his inbox!

psnation.org

Darkdrium777
13th April 2009, 01:15 AM
Interesting. That means it is coming soon, if he knows already.
Good :)

darkfaerytales
13th April 2009, 01:28 AM
feisar ltd. , you know what it is? in case you know please don't spoil it here, i have sent you a PM

i have to reedit this post, what's happen?! the news of some people at game podcast know what is the up-coming content, come out, and no more arguing?:?

zeeZ
26th April 2009, 08:49 PM
and no I cant tell you what it is or when or any other details, sorry (its for others to announce, not me)

We need to figure out where their houses live, where their beds sleep, stalk them uber fast, randomly call them just yelling a creepy BOMB MINES QUAKE into the phone, threaten to ram them with an Icaras and shove a Plasma up their exhaust, run past them with a SWIIIUUUUUUSH or maybe a BROMBLEDOMBLEBROMBLE leaving a blueish trail, and challenge them to online duels for information :lol

darkfaerytales
27th April 2009, 04:34 AM
eheheheh not that icaras is that much of threat! i image a direct raming attack would cause much damage to icaras itself than the victim selected:lol

Darkdrium777
27th April 2009, 06:11 AM
That would be true if we weren't taking into account lag and ping. But since we should be, Icaras ends up just as effective as Qirex.

/sarcasm

stinkleroy
27th April 2009, 03:17 PM
Haha I think I might try calling SL up and just repeating BOMB MINES QUAKE. Thats such a funny premise :D

blackwiggle
28th April 2009, 02:23 PM
I got an email from Studio Liverpool about the release date.;)

Thanks fo yo r continu int st in the imminent relea se of the added content for Wipe t HD.
We are n w able to c nfirm that the rele e date wil be on the nd of n .

I think they were suffering from some glitches.:brickwall

I know I have.

KIGO1987
28th April 2009, 02:42 PM
Vista Pads.

eLhabib
28th April 2009, 03:25 PM
Blackwiggle, actually if this e-mail was real, it would give away quite a bit of information!
If you fill the spaces, it can only mean 2nd of June (or 22nd of June, but 2nd is more likely due to E3).
But then you didn't really get an e-mail, so...

IH8YOU
28th April 2009, 08:27 PM
I got an email from Studio Liverpool about the release date.;)

Thanks fo yo r continu int st in the imminent relea se of the added content for Wipe t HD.
We are n w able to c nfirm that the rele e date wil be on the nd of n .

I think they were suffering from some glitches.:brickwall

I know I have.

It's nice two sea so eone over at SL has a s mi ar cents of h mor as ey .

Well, except for that fu k g 1.3 "up te" of coarse! :naughty ;)

blackwiggle
28th April 2009, 10:03 PM
The funny thing would be if I serendipitously got the date correct,but the chances of that are extremely low.

But I'm pretty sure at least one of the tracks will be called Cambodiousa.

Racing the through a war ravaged jungle paradise,with ancient ruins surrounded by mines and bombs.;)

KIGO1987
28th April 2009, 10:09 PM
If its straight after my mid semesters ill be happy:D

darkfaerytales
28th April 2009, 10:13 PM
so what is the date in the end?

2nd its clear due to the " nd " ,but "n. "?

2nd of november???:blarg

haahahah

Darkdrium777
29th April 2009, 01:37 AM
Vista Pads.Vista keyboard.

O HI-! !1 one

darkfaerytales
29th April 2009, 04:10 AM
But I'm pretty sure at least one of the tracks will be called Cambodiousa.

Racing the through a war ravaged jungle paradise,with ancient ruins surrounded by mines and bombs.;)

what?!!! are you serious?! i hope this isn't a joke , cause if this is a joke prepare youserlf to die!!!!:evil

blackwiggle
29th April 2009, 07:34 AM
It's a joke.

It started from a PS3 message description of a race full of bombs and mines that I sent to Kigo ages ago.

I said it was like Cambodia.

It's sort of become a de facto "quick description" used in the HD chat rooms.

Since the 1.30 patch the mines & bombs have become more prevalent,so I thought a "MOCK" track in the DLC would suit the new conditions.

darkfaerytales
29th April 2009, 07:45 AM
GHIAAAAAAA AHHHHH YOU ARE DEATH!!!!:evil:bomb

i will find your home, and i will come to you when you are at sleep

...anyway you have received that mail from SL for real or even that is a
joke?

:banzai

blackwiggle
29th April 2009, 07:57 AM
It has a [wink icon] ;) next to the first line of the post,meaning it was a joke.

It was a sarcastic post that the game has glitches,implying that maybe the problems so wide spread that even SL's emailing system has glitches.

Somethings obviously do not translate

Darkdrium777
29th April 2009, 04:58 PM
Nah I got it. That's why I was replying with "Vista keyboard" and "O SHI-!" with missing letters because supposedly it was happening to me too (I was on the laptop with Vista... -.-)

Now excuse me I'm off choosing the appropriate location for my 2097th post.

KIGO1987
30th April 2009, 08:30 AM
Vista keyboard.

O HI-! !1 one

Lol.

It's a joke.

It started from a PS3 message description of a race full of bombs and mines that I sent to Kigo ages ago.

I said it was like Cambodia.

It's sort of become a de facto "quick description" used in the HD chat rooms.

Since the 1.30 patch the mines & bombs have become more prevalent,so I thought a "MOCK" track in the DLC would suit the new conditions.

****. I should have a look through my old account and find that message, and protect it. Funny as **** when i first read it.

I think it said, "Ive never seen that many ****ing bombs and mines in one race. It was like i was going though Cambodia". Lol, funny ****. Its used in PMs, to pretty much as blackwiggle said, a one word description to desctribe a bomb and mine filled race.

Seraphim1982
1st May 2009, 02:41 PM
How much notice was given for the DLC on the psp wipeouts? It was only a few days notice for the 1.30 update so does anyone think it will be the same for the DLC?

Darkdrium777
2nd May 2009, 05:43 AM
Most likely yes. Sony still sucks at advertising. :|

KIGO1987
2nd May 2009, 06:03 AM
Sounds like Sony are heavily im mean HEAVILY cutting any forms of costs as possible. Anyforms of advertising would be limited at best. Im not sure how Sony will promotion there products to get there target audience now interested in the product now, i guess they are depending on hardcore enthusiasts and forums like this now:(

blackwiggle
3rd May 2009, 03:11 AM
That's why they are holding back till E3.

It's a lot cheaper for them if the word gets out in one mass showing than to send out individual press kits.

We only got very minimal advanced news of HD's release,and Colin said in his last post to only expect 4 days notice at best of the release details of what we are waiting for.

Axel
3rd May 2009, 03:15 PM
That is what's worrying, I mean Nintendo did this last Gen with limited advertising and looked what happened......

Getting some DLC will be fantastic, but if hardly anybody knows about it and then it will be useless as there will be hardly anyone to play with. I hope SL have their DLC strategy right since Sony Marketing will probably do another botch advertisement job again.

RJ O'Connell
3rd May 2009, 03:40 PM
"That is what's worrying, I mean Nintendo did this last Gen with limited advertising and looked what happened......"

....now the Wii is outselling PS3 and Xbox 360. Actually what I think hurt the 'Cube more was the almost total lack of online games.

If it's new tracks, hopefully we'll get Talon's Junction, Vertica, De Konstruct, and The Amphiseum.

Cyberio
3rd May 2009, 03:42 PM
Anything about the 1.31 update?

Only for the bug fixes and not to log off before the menu and log in after that.

I expect that DLC too. At least a few tracks.

GreenPhazon
3rd May 2009, 06:11 PM
I think hurt the 'Cube more was the almost total lack of online games.
It was a combination of following the failed N64, lack of third party support, bad marketing, loyalties among consumers to the Sony brand, and the XBOX being
pushed as 'the most powerful beast on the market'.

Lance
3rd May 2009, 06:56 PM
And the GC was not what I'd call a cool-looking package.

GreenPhazon
3rd May 2009, 07:08 PM
Cooler than the Xbox. That was bigger than an early VCR.

PLazarou
3rd May 2009, 10:26 PM
They pushed the purple version, which was a mistake. In black, it looked much less like a toy.

rushin
4th May 2009, 12:52 AM
this isnt as off topic as it sounds, honest lance ;)

does anyone play everybodies golf? They have the whole concept of keeping the game alive online 100% right. pretty please take a leaf or three out of their book.

dlc is released every couple of months, generally an extra character or a course. Almost everyone who plays online buys it because its tied into the events that are run.

the ranking system is fun and meaningful, you progress slowly upwards getting small rewards for winning which keep you coming back for more. the progression takes years rather than weeks. along with the day to day events there are special ones every now and again that keep ppl interested.

Dont just release a few tracks and forget about it, give people a reason to download and more importantly to keep playing. it wouldnt cost the earth in terms of time or money to revamp online play in wohd and you would be doing everyone a favour :)

lunar
4th May 2009, 09:21 AM
I agree that the Everybody`s Golf way with DLC and online play is brilliant. If Wipeout HD didn`t exist it`s the game I would be playing, but I don`t have time for it sadly. Also the way that everybody has to download the content for the DLC to connect online, and only purchases an unlock key, helps avoid haves and have nots in online play. You can always see content you haven`t bought if someone else is hosting with it so you don`t have to worry about being locked out of games.

darkfaerytales
8th May 2009, 08:38 PM
uff when? when? as june begins will be 9 months...

trk_rkd
10th May 2009, 05:12 AM
uff when? when? as june begins will be 9 months...

Yeah I'm getting kind of impatient, I've been hanging out for new tracks for ages now...

Axel
10th May 2009, 08:34 AM
I hope we have a barrage of new track, not 6 - 8. I'll be a bit disappointed if that was the case. But the way things are, I'll accept anything since I'm dying for new tracks.

eLhabib
10th May 2009, 10:22 AM
WHAT?! You're saying that you are hoping for more than 6-8 tracks?!
Stop dreaming, man, I'd say we get 4 maximum! And 2 ships probably...

blackwiggle
10th May 2009, 12:15 PM
One of those tracks will be for the zone specialists I suspect .

Probably the one that was from the JAP issue of W03 or W03SE after you got past a certain level.

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 01:17 PM
I would say that we won't have tracks outside the psp series, and probably the Pulse one since it was developped during the HD project too >_<

I don't think there will be more than 2 tracks (normal + reverse for each one) and the 2 missing teams, like the packages sold for pulse.

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 02:30 PM
WHAT?! You're saying that you are hoping for more than 6-8 tracks?!
Stop dreaming, man, I'd say we get 4 maximum! And 2 ships probably...

i think 6 tracks would be fair, 4 ok not bad, but it could be more

afterall in around 10-12 months they have develop a game complete with 8 tracks ( + reverse ), 12 ships, each with 4 liveries , modes and options so i don't see why in 9 months of waiting it ends that we get only 4...however under 4 tracks would be scandalous to me, unless it would be all completely new stuff

leungbok
10th May 2009, 02:30 PM
8 tracks are too much to expect and 2 are not sufficient, i think ;)
I reasonably hope for at least 4 tracks (and their reverse version). But maybe in several packs like for pure/pulse. Colin talked about great content, if i remember well. And the devs seems to sometimes visit this site, so why not a real team mode (there was rumors about it before hd's release) to formalize the "double ladder" and "world cup" events and a brand new next generation skin editor :hyper

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 04:40 PM
One of those tracks will be for the zone specialists I suspect .

Probably the one that was from the JAP issue of W03 or W03SE after you got past a certain level.

what you mean with for zone specialist? that you think will be tracks like prototypes without a " real " enviroment, and only playable in zone mode?
neontronic enviroment style?:o

:cold

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 05:20 PM
Prototype version of the ships would be great too ^_^

Maybe the DLC developpement was only started after a certain amount of copies of the game were sold. So maybe it was only in developpement for the previous 6-4 months ? with a smaller team ?

Please, Eliminator and Team mode :pray:

KIGO1987
10th May 2009, 05:28 PM
Yes yes eliminator please:D

In my opinion, dont really need any more ships, there is already is a **** load of theme available, which is great.

We need more tracks.... cough cough "Vertica" is quite a nice match with eliminator mode. [and god no more of those sh i tty turning ones please]:D

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 05:49 PM
12 is a load of ships?!!:o

in any of other racing games there are up to 30 vehicles...don't know if 12 is a so ****ing load of vehicles :|

ProblemSolver
10th May 2009, 06:32 PM
There should be three or four tracks primarily dedicated for the ZONE
mode, at least. The ZONE mode has a lot of potential on its very own that
isn't fully explored yet. If SL does it right, then the ZONE mode can become
something very unique in the future.

Despite the standard tracks are quite good, most of them aren't built for
high speeds. But don't get me wrong here, I don't want to see tracks that
are mainly straights. Quite the contrary is the case. But building good
tracks for ZONE requires some good knowledge about curvature such that
those tracks / curves become a pure joy to race at different speeds. And I
also want to see well placed ramps, tunnels, and whatsoever.

Imagine a track with different stages (routes) were each stage has its own
difficulty (depending on speed) and were each stage is geometrically
connected with another stage that only becomes "accessible" at a give
speed or by taking a certain risk.

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 07:01 PM
please NO!

made instead another kind of zone mode, a further mode into the zone iself

what's the sense in make new tracks only available for zone mode , when every tracks already can have its zone-rendered counter-part?
this is crazy, this is even add something it's take away in that way, zone it's only a mode of the game, NOT THE GAME

why sacrifing the opportunities of develop some unexplored kind of environment, maybe balancing the over-abused metropolitan environment,instead, whit tracks that have neon lights , virtual reality effects and vivid colours than cause you headache and blood loss from your eyes after 15 minutes of intese playing, for " environment"? ( not to despise or decry zone mode, i love it, but i prefer " reality " enviroments )

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 07:03 PM
12 ships is already a lot i think.
If you compare with other unrealist games, there may be more vehicules but each one is set for a particular "league". So each véhicule cannot take part in every races/league.
And in realistic games (GT & co) they modelize existing vehicules but differences between some of them are nearly inexistant apart from the design.
And wipeout policy doesn't seem to be to create several designs for each caracteristics (well ... don't count Harimau >_<).

More skins would be simple, as the skin editor. But more ships ... I don't see why.

@ProblemSolver > it makes me remember a track in the first wipeout, which took part in an icy environment. The track divides into 2 roads 2 times during the lap, and each section is not symetrical to the other. On the contrary, one is longer but straighter (good for high speed), and one was shorter but with more hairpin-like corners).

Expert will probably recognize the tracks i speak of.

PS : despite it's not in the WipeOut spirit, I would like tracks which leave the urban style and takes place in nature, in order to complete the existing environment. Pitch is not very used in urban tracks but could be very usefull on wild environnement.
A virtual track could be also very nice.

In fact, those talks make me remember of the Cyber Formula 1st season spirit. With Nature, Urban (sometimes both) and even virtual tracks.

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 07:53 PM
you dont see why more ships? i tell you why
why there are 2 excluded teams , many fans favourites, i do not talk about new teams i talk about tigron and van uber, many people miss them so it's unfair to leave these fans without their favourites teams anymore, i did understand that in wipeout pulse , but in HD whose objective is to sum it all up beetwen the 2 psp games, i don't

you talkin about silverstream, the track in WO that was made of artificial crystal, set in greenland

i'm totaly in accord with U:+ , i've repeated many many times: MORE NATURE ENVIRONMENT
would be cool, personally the vision of future wipeout offer is uber-cool but what's about nature? do not exist anymore in 23 century?
sincerely after a while i grow pretty bored of always the same jam

good examples are blue ridge, vertica, vostok reef, tech de ra, platinum rush even staten park if you want, bring them in HD!

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 08:03 PM
Of course, I'm pretty sure that van uber and tigron will come soon enough (what's the point not including already existing ships and earn money ?!).
But I dont see why there will be more than those 2 (somes peaple were talking about more teams).

I liked one of the tracks in Fusion where part of the lap was on earth, and ships rising smoke (or maybe I though so ^_^).
I also like the concept of Fatal Inertia were the pitch was necessary in order to achieve a good race.

Why not taking the good ideas where they are, especially when they are in the previous version of the game >_<

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 08:17 PM
ok friend i'm even more in accord with you, the tracks you're are talking about is florion heights, ONE OF MY FAVOURITES even if i have never played wo fusion, but that damn effect of sand and dirt rising when ships pass over is ASTONISHING, some time ago i've think about to open a thread to ask SL or some technical people who have some game developing knownledge if such kind of effect would be possible mantaining the costants 60 frames per second

actually in wo hd pitch do the difference in precision and sharpness of turns as well

the 2 miss teams would be truly a GIFT, it's a must
another easy way to " buff up " the racers box is to reintroduce the concepts
so basically you mantain all the 12( 14 ) teams , but you can choose from 2 different ships, but with the same stats, each teams

Axel
10th May 2009, 08:49 PM
I don't see why we can't expect 8 tracks. It makes perfect business model sense to release 4 DLC packs with 2 tracks in each. Eliminator mode and all the rest can come as free upgrades. Paying for modes seems meh in my mind. All I want are tracks. TBH I think we have enough crafts. I say they should balance the other crafts that are not widely used instead.

PS: AG-SYS is over powered!!!!! It shouldn't be knocking my Auricom aside for starters :P

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 09:08 PM
some time ago i've think about to open a thread to ask SL or some technical people who have some game developing knownledge if such kind of effect would be possible mantaining the costants 60 frames per secondParticule effect are very CPU/GPU consuming.
If I remember correctly, one guy from SL confirmed it in a thread talking about the variable resolution in order to maintain a 60 fps framerate.

Edit : I found it :

The main thing here is that, based on our understanding of the technology at the time, we wrote the engine then tried to use it to do as much as we could in the available time. Certain types of thing, such as particle effects can vary in rendering time exponentially depending on how big they are drawn on the screen, meaning that sometimes the rendering cost would shoot up drastically to levels that were impossible to render at 60Hz. This is just a fact of life with modern day GPUs and you see the same effect on ANY platform.

So in those situations, we throttle to smooth out the lumps. But these are exceptions... you need to look at the "flat" performance of the game under normal situations to really judge the performance...

darkfaerytales
10th May 2009, 09:49 PM
again with this issue about balancing
so the 12 teams aren't balanced enough? god...if it were for some people it ends like in first wipeout with only 4 teams that are one the anthitesis of the other, without any kind of variety or interesting solutions in the mix

i say, god, its their work to make good games, and balance things, if they at SL aren't able to re-insert 2 cut out teams without balance them with other teams, well it's better they close down the studio and all them find another job

what's all this fear of bring back those teams 'cause it can turn things un-balanced?

shadows so we cannot hope in some tracks with weather variation like rain or snow? or even some dirt/smoke rise effect?

Sch@dows
10th May 2009, 11:41 PM
I think rain or snow, without splash could be easily done (I think there was a track in pure and pulse were it was raining).

Well a don't think it's not possible to do the dirt/smoke effect since there is already a similar effect with the rockets. But have multiple ships in front of you rising all those particules ... I don't see how the current engine could handle that without a drastic decrease of framerate.
Maybe a patch to the engine could do the job now that the PS3 hardware is better understood but I've never seen anything like that in an upgrade. It was always for a new game.

But don't be fooled, I'm not a SL developper or anything (well I do work in application devloppement but nothing like games >_<). I could be wrong (and hope so).

love9sick
11th May 2009, 12:24 AM
We really could use some new tracks and skins (no new ships, I think we all know that we just stick to our favorites anyways)

PS: AG-SYS is over powered!!!!! It shouldn't be knocking my Auricom aside for starters :P

You are right in being the most wrong person in the world. I hate the fact that as a AG systems player after playing for months on Moa Therma as AG systems practicing over and over on speed lap phantom class (im only 143 or something place globally now but was in the top 20s for a while) I play once as Fiesar to with in the second lap beat my AG-systems score and for the past 2 days in frustration trying to beat myself with AG-systems. AG is over-rated by people who think it is over powered. It isn't.

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 03:05 AM
The "perfect" DLC option in my opinion:

The √ indicates the reverse version exists, so there is less work required for these tracks as there does not need one to be created.

These first two packs come out first if they can't be all released simultaneously, because they have the two remaining ships.

Tigron Enterprises pack:

Ship:
Tigron

Tracks:

Arc Prime √
Basilico √
Orcus √
Exostra Run
Modesto Heights

Grids:

Tigron grid, arrange it like in Pulse where you had the Harimau/Mirage/Icaras/Auricom grids. If there will be Zone, choose Arc Prime, Basilico or Exostra, for the others it seems less well designed. Forward tracks preferred for PurE tracks.

Menu skins:

Tigron Enterprises skin

Van Uber Racing Development pack:

Ship:
Van Uber

Tracks:

de Konstruct √
The Amphiseum √
Edgewinter √
Khara Descent
Sinutcit

Grids:

Van Uber grid, arrange it like in Pulse where you had the Harimau/Mirage/Icaras/Auricom grids. For Zone mode, de Konstruct, Amphiseum or maybe Sinucit, although any seems to do really (Maybe less Edgewinter.) Forward tracks preferred for PurE tracks.

Menu skins:

Van Uber Racing Development skin

The following pack contains all the "natural reserves" of WipEout, so all track with an emphasis on integration with the natural environment.

Harimau Nature pack:

Tracks:

Vertica √
Platinum Rush √
Tech de Ra √
Blue Ridge
Staten Park

Grids:

Name it after the sponsor if you can find one, each track at Rapier, Phantom, choose among Single Race, Time Trial or Speed Lap. Zone on Vertica and Staten Park only (Blue Ridge = suicide, Platinum Rush the same, Tech de Ra there are IMO two turns preventing it), maybe one or two tournaments thrown in at Rapier and Phantom. Forward tracks preferred for PurE tracks.

Menu skin:

'Earth Day' skin or whatever environmental sponsor you can find, so maybe this pack can be free for all to download (And therefore promote environmental conscience ;))

The following pack either done in the neo-tronic style (You've already got Zone, use some graphics as base perhaps) like the Classics 2 in PurE (NOT Classics 1 please) or done with real environments like the other tracks. No "reverse" tracks if possible please.

Classics pack:

Tracks:

Altima VII
Porto Kora
Odessa Keys
Manor Top
Vohl Square

Grid:

Oldschool Challenge: Each track at Phantom speed, in only one mode among Single Race, Time Trial, Speed Lap, one tournament with all tracks at Phantom, Zone on each track but Manor Top (Because all those ' |_ ' turns will suck). Forward tracks only (The same as in PurE therefore)

Menu skins:

Neo-tronic style

darkfaerytales
11th May 2009, 03:21 AM
man, it would be a dream!
you have a wonderful imagination :lol
i love you

ProblemSolver
11th May 2009, 03:31 AM
please NO!
Well man, I guess you didn't spent that much time with ZONE.

made instead another kind of zone mode, a further mode into the zone iself
Yeah for sure. There are lots of possibilities. But! Due to the simplicity
of the ZONE mode, it is rather easy to skew it up. So if ever, they have
to really think twice of whether they release a new (sub-)mode or not.
For example, I don't wanna see a mode were you will collect items or
whatsoever to gain some points or energy.

what's the sense in make new tracks only available for zone mode , when every tracks already can have its zone-rendered counter-part?
Read my last post again. But there is more to it. Developing high-speed
tracks for ZONE may eventually lead to a higher speed-class for the
current crafts, which are not able to run at ZEN, SUPER ZEN, ..., or
SUBSONIC speed due to their mechanics (they wouldn't even stick on the
track). The mechanics of the zone craft is totally different and adapted to
very high speeds, but it has its limits, too.

High speed is a nice thing, but let me tell you something. Usually, as
higher the speed (in a game) as more unrealistically the controlling
mechanics becomes, since taking a hairpin at 2000km/h is very
unrealistic. Hence, one has to cheat on the controls (physics) to allow
for such maneuvers. This sux! I mean look at F-ZERO, that is a fun
fast-paced ARCADE game but I for myself like the physical touch of
WipEout HD even more. A lot of ppl say that F-ZERO is the faster
game, maybe, but its a pure arcade game. WipEout HD not only put
a lot of emphasis into the tracks but also into its craft's mechanics.

However, that isn't to say that we don't wanna have a faster game at all.
Btw; PHANTOM is quite too slow for a lot of speed-freaks. Anyways, here
is the problem; Building very enjoyable non-trivial high-speed tracks
and high-speed crafts that have a non-trivial mechanics / physics is like
squaring the circle. Balancing both is quite a tough job to do and requires
a lot of testing. And up to my point, the ZONE mode does exactly this and
it might be a forerunner for a higher speed class to come. I mean, SL can
get a lot of important data out of the leadboards of all the tracks under
the ZONE mode. There are a lot of interesting ratios for each track.
Additionally, the zone craft mechanics can be analyzed to check what it
takes to build a craft for higher speeds. And I can tell you, they have
adapted the mechanics of the zone craft multiple times. The biggest change
was introduced with v1.30. But also v1.40 changed the mechanics slightly
(less over-steering on strong airbrake use).

this is crazy, this is even add something it's take away in that way, zone it's only a mode of the game, NOT THE GAME
;)

why sacrifing the opportunities of develop some unexplored kind of environment, maybe balancing the over-abused metropolitan environment,instead, whit tracks that have neon lights , virtual reality effects and vivid colours than cause you headache and blood loss from your eyes after 15 minutes of intese playing, for " environment"? ( not to despise or decry zone mode, i love it, but i prefer " reality " enviroments )
The current ZONE mode is only a first (actually a second) try. However, I
I want that mode to stay 'computerized' the way it is. I even want it to see
more effects. For example, I want to see a full specular reflective theme
utilizing spectral color stripes. :)

Well, if you're not into the ZONE, then you might not get what I'm taking
about. xD

NeilSmith
11th May 2009, 04:49 AM
Darkdrium's list looks awesome, that would most definately be the dream DLC pack :)
I also miss the custom menu themes from Wipeout Pure. The ability to change the lobby music would also be great, since I'm getting very tired of hearing the same loop over and over. Adding Van Uber and Tigron to roaster is much wanted, and as for other ships I think all we need is some new skins. And last, more stats! :) I know this is alot to ask for, but it's just a wishlist. Not an absolute requirement for me to play. I still love this game very very much and the series has always had a special place in my heart. I'm really looking forward to see what SL has up it's sleeve.

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 05:00 AM
Before anyone further comments on why I didn't include tracks like Gare D'Europa or others, it's because I'm using only PurE and PULSE, which is the base for WipEout HD tracks. Therefore the tracks need not be recreated completely, compared to Gare D'Europa for example. Less work = DLC in our hands faster (And in bigger quantity).

Also, for Tigron and VU packs, the tracks I chose may not seem logical: for some it is indeed pretty arbitrary, others it's because it has all those ads for the team in it. Also, I tried to take tracks with most straights under VU because it's "Van Uber Racing..." while more industrial tracks under "Tigron Enterprises."

Of course, this doesn't mean I won't be happy if Gare D'Europa shows up in HD. That would be awesome :)

djKyoto
11th May 2009, 05:01 AM
Man, I need to play the old Wipeouts again, so I can have some idea of what DR777's on about in terms of the tracks. Some of the names seem fimilar, but I havn't raced on them for years...

I liked the one with huge jump through the clouds, and the old W3 tracks, those where hard. The one that reminds me of AP, but hard like 90' turn angle jumps.

/rabble

Basically All I would want out of the DLC to make me supper hapy and get my back into it again, all would be...
- New tracks (can be existing or not, long as they're difficult)
- More online Modes
- Option for custom ship skins like on pulse?

I don't mind for new ships, but Tracks and modes are a must. :)

Sch@dows
11th May 2009, 08:15 AM
The √ indicates the reverse version exists, so there is less work required for these tracks as there does not need one to be created.

Well yes ... and no. If I remember correctly, the front and reverse (white and black) version of metropia were not exactly the same int Pulse. The same for several tracks with more or less modification (arc prime, Amphiseum, Fort Gale and Basilico).
That a point in which I was disappointed when HD was released. Reverse tracks had just minor adjustement to be played backwards, and even reverse tracks from the original game were not kept.

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Metropia is different in HD and Pulse because Metropia White is actually Metropia Reverse in HD. The jump was smoothened out most likely because it would otherwise send you flying too high in Phantom with the combination of two BRs possible (It already hits the roof of the ECS cage in Pulse). Then it was reversed.
Because of that, Metropia Black or Metropia Forward in HD plays better in HD than in Pulse.

The others do not require any such modification because you are not sent flying to high. The only slightly problematic one would be de Konstruct Black, the "shortcut", as you can hit the building when jumping on. However, this can be adjusted with pitch control easily, something not quite as easy on the jump in Metropia Black on Pulse when you're going for the two BRs.

So, yes, and not no :)

Sch@dows
11th May 2009, 10:00 AM
it doesn't seem to me that the "jump" (or the fall) in metropia black was so difficult, but maybe I didn't played it at very high speed.

My point was to say that front/reverse tracks are not like white/black in Pulse (and it's too bad u_u)

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 10:06 AM
Try it on Phantom, with the two BRs, one from the jump and the other from the rebound. You hit the ceiling of the ECS (It slows you down) and there's nothing you can really do about it unless you're some kind of alien with three arms or use the infamous piece of paper or tape or whatever. :)

Of course it's only a guess from me, maybe they found other reasons to flatten it. However judging from how it plays in Pulse, that's the reason why I would have done it. ;)

rdmx
11th May 2009, 11:03 AM
Metropia White in Pulse is a very different beast to the Metropia Reverse in HD. White is a completely different track, basically only sharing scenery.

KIGO1987
11th May 2009, 11:31 AM
Metropia White in Pulse rulz big time over Metropia Rev on HD.

One, you could gun it a around the "Non Blind Corners"

Two, in White your ship didnt hit those stupid pole things at the final jump where you BR you ship when you had a boost available.

Sch@dows
11th May 2009, 12:35 PM
Try it on Phantom, with the two BRs, one from the jump and the other from the rebound. You hit the ceiling of the ECS (It slows you down) and there's nothing you can really do about it unless you're some kind of alien with three arms or use the infamous piece of paper or tape or whatever. :)

Of course it's only a guess from me, maybe they found other reasons to flatten it. However judging from how it plays in Pulse, that's the reason why I would have done it. ;)

Maybe that's because i'm not as good as you I I don't try to BR with the rebound ^_~

The other reason could be that, since there is no need to run below the jump (like in metropia white), deleting the jump don't force the developpers to create a 2nd version of the track for the reverse mode.

darkfaerytales
11th May 2009, 12:51 PM
I Have A Dream...

TheFrostE
11th May 2009, 06:30 PM
i dream of an WOHD gare d'europa, altima 7 and amphiseum every night

stoneygate
11th May 2009, 09:58 PM
I had horrible nightmares of Vohl Square 3 in Fusion and would like to experience that again please...

eLhabib
11th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Hmm, I dream of boobs and surfing and huge robots and stuff. Well, mostly boobs, but still...

;)

stoneygate
11th May 2009, 10:29 PM
Just thinking about Vohl Square sent me to the Fusion forums and now I've been reminded of Mandrashee (1,2&3) I want those more than any other...

LOUDandPROUD
12th May 2009, 12:29 AM
@ eLhabib - :lol

darkfaerytales
12th May 2009, 01:25 AM
Well man, I guess you didn't spent that much time with ZONE.

indeed. i haven't passed much time in zone, actually i'm not abble to pass around zone 45, i don't give a damn, zone mode it's a cool mode , with astonishing effects, but i consider it just a mode
and a cool demo to show how much fast this game can be...

High speed is a nice thing, but let me tell you something. Usually, as
higher the speed (in a game) as more unrealistically the controlling
mechanics becomes, since taking a hairpin at 2000km/h is very
unrealistic. Hence, one has to cheat on the controls (physics) to allow
for such maneuvers. This sux! I mean look at F-ZERO, that is a fun
fast-paced ARCADE game but I for myself like the physical touch of
WipEout HD even more. A lot of ppl say that F-ZERO is the faster
game, maybe, but its a pure arcade game. WipEout HD not only put
a lot of emphasis into the tracks but also into its craft's mechanics.

takin' an hairpin at 2000km/h is such a stupid thing that only in such a stupid game like f-zero can happen, i'm glad about the speeds of the ships in wipeout are capable, they goes fast but not at stupid incoerent random speeds like f-zero.
i mean some times ago i watched on one of the discovery channels, i don't remenber what, anyway there was this documentary about the TGV the french train with the speed primate of 576 km/h , i assure you when the camera did shot from the first person view i didn't saw anything
just image run at 800km/h into a vehicle, we are just humans, i think the limits of reflex just stop way before those speeds, one thing is to go at mach 2 speed within an aircraft at 5km quote, into the open sky, but most important in the straight, another is run at 5m from the ground in close circuits , with turns, hairpins, chicanes, tunnels ans so on...
do you expect to do it at 2times speed of sound and respect the law of physics? no way.

ProblemSolver
12th May 2009, 02:57 AM
... but most important in the straight, another is run at 5m by the ground in close circuits , with turns, hairpins, chicanes, tunnels ans so on...
do you expect to do it at 2times speed of sound and respect the law of physics? no way.
Yeah right. And that's the reason why I wrote 'physical touch'. What I
wanted to say is that WipEout HD's crafts do have a non-trivial handling
that depends on speed. Hence, SL tried to incoperate a sense of reality
into WipEout HD. And getting the handling right, at a given speed, isn't
that easy. I guess, a lot of F-ZERO fanbois would cry out if they had to
race an 8 player race at SUBSONIC, MACH 1, or even SUPERSONIC speed,
weapons on, using slightly different versions of the zone craft each. xD

Of course, WipEout HD lacks content and variety compared to F-ZERO, but
comparing WipEout HD against F-ZERO is like comparing NFS [~ F-ZERO]
against GT5P [~ WipEout HD].

Sch@dows
12th May 2009, 07:05 AM
that's a bit hard for WO ^_~

darkfaerytales
12th May 2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah right. And that's the reason why I wrote 'physical touch'. What I
wanted to say is that WipEout HD's crafts do have a non-trivial handling
that depends on speed. Hence, SL tried to incoperate a sense of reality
into WipEout HD. And getting the handling right, at a given speed, isn't
that easy. I guess, a lot of F-ZERO fanbois would cry out if they had to
race an 8 player race at SUBSONIC, MACH 1, or even SUPERSONIC speed,
weapons on, using slightly different versions of the zone craft each. xD

Of course, WipEout HD lacks content and variety compared to F-ZERO, but
comparing WipEout HD against F-ZERO is like comparing NFS [~ F-ZERO]
against GT5P [~ WipEout HD].

indeed, in f-zero such basic elements like cetrifugal force don't even exist, not talking about the air friction, the " ships " profiles have zero aerodynamics, things like the aerodynamic drag would crush those kind of vehicles at such speeds they pretend to run in f-zero

2000km/h + air pressure at that speed + bath tub profile vehicle = CRUSH

i understand those are only games, but a little bit of credibility and solidity? anyone?

Hmm, I dream of boobs and surfing and huge robots and stuff. Well, mostly boobs, but still...

;)

Transformers revenge of the fallen? revenge is comming?:lol

mdhay
12th May 2009, 04:00 PM

;)

+1 to rep for that, it's made my day. :lol:lol:lol

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 02:39 AM
The cat's out of the bag guys.

Due for release 2009 .

WIPEOUT XL for PS3 as listed on IGN's new releases due list.

And at a price of $28 I think this will be a Download only.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14346729.html

But it's got a release date of DEC 31st ....:eek
I hope that is wrong.

Darkdrium777
17th May 2009, 02:55 AM
wat..

aerobie
27th May 2009, 12:34 PM
Any thoughts on the following Twitter message from ButtonMasherNZ?:
http://twitter.com/ButtonMasherNZ/status/1933323931

Quote: "Oh a new WipeOut HD title called Ultimate Racing at E3? Sounds like fun..... but is it an expansion or a standalone product?"

Sch@dows
27th May 2009, 12:43 PM
The news have been relayed by a french webzine, but I guess we will have to wait for E3 to know more about it.

Since a DLC was almost confirmed by the staff, I guess it could be a HUGE DLC with a lot of tracks and modes. But how much will it be ?

aerobie
27th May 2009, 12:47 PM
As I am sure everyone else here is, I am totally jonesing for some new WipEout content of any shape or form.
What concerns me about this news though is the title: Ultimate Racing?! There's already a Hot Wheels game called Ultimate Racing. Hopefully, it's just a working title. I remember there was a poll here for the name of the next WipEout game, and the ideas that were propsed were much catchier than... ultimate racing...

Sch@dows
27th May 2009, 12:55 PM
The name may be the subtitle for the DLC, like the packs in BURNOUT Paradise.

silverfoxy
27th May 2009, 03:06 PM
I don't think Mrs Fox and baby Fox could cope with me having a new wipeout game !! Just hope its DLC :lol

Sch@dows
27th May 2009, 03:24 PM
Like someone reminds me, Studio Liverpool (Wipeout HD) and Evolution Studios (Motorstorm) were supposed to be working together on existing and future licences for the past 6 month.

Could it be this ?

Cyberio
27th May 2009, 03:50 PM
I hope for E3 to see the announce of the expected DLC.

lunar
27th May 2009, 05:06 PM
The Twitter comment could be just something invented for page hits, but if true I hope its a new game and not any DLC for HD. Wouldn`t it be better for all new content to just go into a new game so that all the MIA profiles could perhaps be liberated, and we could start again with a new and more bug free game on a clean slate?

Nunalho
27th May 2009, 05:48 PM
I dont care about the name, any DLC pack for WHD will be amazing and a day one purchase. PLEASE announce it at E3 and release it soon after!

Sch@dows
27th May 2009, 07:18 PM
I though of :
- Why the DLC still isn't there ?
- Why a new name ?

As a result I though that Wipeout Ultimate Racing could be both the dlc AND the new game.

A DLC with a lot of tracks (mainly from pulse since we know a team was working of a PS2 version) and maybe lost modes (such as eliminator), but at the same time, a Blue Ray release (what WOHD lacks) with everything out so far (game, patches and that DLC) since I think the main reason behind not releasing WOHD in blue-ray was the lack of content and the BRD release can't use the same name to avoid necessary confusion.

How does it sound ...

Amorbis
27th May 2009, 08:17 PM
Extra content would help justify a Blu-Ray realease of the game, but I doubt it would happen. The only way I can imagine WipEout HD coming to Blu-Ray would be in a PSN game bundle like what can be seen on PSP with the PSN Power Pack (http://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-Network-Collection-Power-Pack/dp/B001FB56NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1243455123&sr=8-1). Of course I could be wrong on that and it could do a Last Guy, another PSN game and come to Blu-Ray even if it is only in one territory (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/05/15/the-last-guy-not-on-his-last-mission-dlc-trophies-and-blu-ray-hi/).If a relatively small game such as The Last Guy can become a Blu-Ray title then WipEout HD should have no problem.

At the moment based simply on the name it is either a tentative name for the DLC or not real at all. I do hope, like everyone else, that something is indeed coming out sometime this year.

I agree with you Sch@dows that if it were to be a Blu-Ray release it would turn out something like that.

mic-dk
28th May 2009, 04:57 AM
Like silverfox I can't handle a brand new game. At least not until winter sets in again.

New tracks and modes would do just fine by me.

DawnFireDragoon
28th May 2009, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Racing, if a blu-ray title implies perhaps a collection of wipeout titles...thus making it the ultimate wipeout racing experience.

bit of a silly name, but really good if true. :)

lunar
28th May 2009, 11:49 PM
Very silly yes, but I think I would agree that it is as a matter of fact "ultimate racing."

darkfaerytales
29th May 2009, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Racing, if a blu-ray title implies perhaps a collection of wipeout titles...thus making it the ultimate wipeout racing experience.

more precisely a collection of stuff from wipeout titles to make the ultimate wipeout in one single astonishing game

darkfaerytales
29th May 2009, 03:23 AM

more precisely a collection of stuff from wipeout titles to make the ultimate wipeout in one single astonishing game

excuse me for double posting, my PC gone mad, lance please cancel one

BARTgai
29th May 2009, 04:54 AM
XL styled ships plz. :g Would be pretty cool if it had a collection of stuff from the older games.

ProblemSolver
29th May 2009, 06:17 AM
Hopefully "Ultimate Racing" includes the stereoscopic effect (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5675). :)

Constrictor
29th May 2009, 06:35 AM
Yeah, would be a bargain: 9 EUR for DLC + 1999 EUR for a 46" 3D capable LCD w/ shutters. Should think about installing a 3 or 4 side vr cave in my basement :lol

Only thing that matters for me is (DL) content - whatever that will be. And this integrated into the existing HD environment. BRay version? Ok for new CUs and for those who don't want or can to PSN download. btw, for me DL is best as often as I start WOHD I don't want to become some kind of BrayDJ.

Sch@dows
29th May 2009, 07:36 AM
I agree that DL has its advantage like no need to load the disc, or won't be damage.
But you have to bring your console or download again the game (which can be very long) if you want to play at a friend's home, you cannot re-sell it, you cannot lend it (legally, since it could only be on 5 ps3 system that you own).
I don't talk about the size on the hard disk since you can upgrade it.

ProblemSolver
29th May 2009, 09:42 AM
For the time being I prefer the DL version, but I would like to see a retail version
simply because I wanna assure myself that I can play this game in 10 - 20 years
time when the PS3 isn't supported any longer and the PSN is something beyond.
Personally, I don't like the emulator-way because they never reproduce a game
to the degree it was done on the given hardware. Hence, I would love to see an
addition retail version that can be fully installed on the hard disc as well. Hopefully,
they (SL) will implement a LAN feature further down the road.... Otherwise the
WipEout HD online community / component will be dead in a few years time.
Sure there will be another WipEout on a possible PS4, but without a retail version
and a LAN feature these bits and bytes comprising WipEout HD will fade away for
all of us ... someday.

Colin Berry
29th May 2009, 07:41 PM
Any thoughts on the following Twitter message from ButtonMasherNZ?:
http://twitter.com/ButtonMasherNZ/status/1933323931

Quote: "Oh a new WipeOut HD title called Ultimate Racing at E3? Sounds like fun..... but is it an expansion or a standalone product?"

I feel like I spend my WOZONE life debunking crap rumours

Ultimate Racing !!!!
bad name, that twitter comment is just wrong

That said... I'd keep an eye on E3 for WOHD news

'oh you tease'

yeah, and you love it

:P

KIGO1987
29th May 2009, 08:04 PM
k thanks;)

LOUDandPROUD
29th May 2009, 08:04 PM
I DO love it! As always, thanks Colin! :) I'm getting excited! :hyper

aerobie
29th May 2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry for having propagated false rumours... :( I knew 'Ultimate Racing' didn't sound right. Thank you for the correction, Colin. (But, hey! On the bright side, I was just quoted by Colin Berry! Awesome!)

I've been counting down the hours to E3 specifically for a WipEout announcement.

mic-dk
29th May 2009, 08:40 PM
When exactly is this E3 you keep mentioning?

Darkdrium777
29th May 2009, 08:59 PM
yeah, and you love it♥
hidden characters so the message isn't too short

leungbok
29th May 2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks Colin ! :)

DawnFireDragoon
29th May 2009, 09:30 PM
When exactly is this E3 you keep mentioning?

June 2nd-4th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Entertainment_Expo

usually get some great gaming info from the show. here's hoping for lots of goodies for everyone, regardless of what console anyone has!!! :)

H3avyM3tal
29th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Wow Colin, any chance of us getting some 3D WO?! Gotta get me a bigger screen!
If Colin says it, then WO is just going to get better :)

This E3 is going to be packing some very nice things. VERY.

eLhabib
29th May 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Colin! Delivering teases as usual ;)

stinkleroy
29th May 2009, 11:26 PM

Maybe if you stopped teasing the rumours would subside :p

In all seriousness, thanks Colin I'm looking forward to some E3 Wipeout related news! :)

Sch@dows
29th May 2009, 11:38 PM

Ultimate Racing !!!!
bad name, that twitter comment is just wrong

That said... I'd keep an eye on E3 for WOHD news

'oh you tease'

yeah, and you love it

:PSo the name is wrong ... but not the rest ?

grrr, all that waiting before E3, grrr

Darkdrium777
29th May 2009, 11:52 PM
I've just thought about this, can there be an option to delete our glitched records and then resynchronize with the leaderboards to it erases our glitched times from there too?
That would be great, because right now leaderboards are a big mess IMHO. We've got race times under thirty seconds everywhere... :( I've got a few myself which I would like to get rid of.

blackwiggle
30th May 2009, 01:19 AM
After reading the two part report on the various 3D systems,both PRO and consumer versions,in the March & April editions of HI-FI News,I wouldn't be holding my breath on a Wipeout 3D release at E3 [unless some serious technical breakthroughs have occurred since CES 2009]

SONY were showing the RealD system at CES2009.

The problems with the consumer version as reported above are.

1] LCD displays are not fast enough to show the two alternating images without judder, and a special screen is needed that launches the lightwaves with the correct polarization.
2]Only 70% of 1080p resolution when using this system.
3]The polarized glasses used cut the amount of light coming from the display by 50%
4] Poor off axis viewing or slight tilting of head can make a mess of the image.

As a guesstimate ,if it were to appear at this stage,I think it would be at 576i resolution and the frame rate would of dropped.

After WOHD I'm not prepared for that compromise.

H3avyM3tal
30th May 2009, 11:36 AM
Damn, 3d would be so nice for this game. I am not holding my breath on it either, but I thought they had it ready even before (or so I read). All in all, I would still rather have more tracks then anything else. E3 is just around the corner, so...

ProblemSolver
30th May 2009, 07:49 PM
... As a guesstimate ,if it were to appear at this stage,I think it would be at 576i resolution and the frame rate would of dropped. ...
Well, trading 2d resolution for getting some real 3d depth isn't that bad.
Have you ever worn a 3d system? For sure, there are problems with the
technology, but.... Thing is, every game / application behaves rather
differently under a given 3d system. Unfortunately, up until today it isn't
really clear whether a 3d system improves anything or not. There are only
a few (computer graphics) PhD thesis who consider evaluating 3d systems
for different kinds of application. And I guess that nobody has ever done a
serious evaluation of a 3d system for gaming. So, in my opinion, its quite a
risk to go 3d for any game today. But let's give it a (new) try!

Further, I don't think that WipEout HD taped out the performance of the
the Cell/B.E. and the RSX processor, respectively.

Spece2goin
31st May 2009, 01:12 AM
@BlackWiggle : 200Hz LCDs are already launched, and it's not a surprise sony promote 3D, has half of this framerate is already over the 60Hz of the game.
so, no cut of framerate, full resolution (as the resolution was cut in progressive mode to save little frames per second)
with LED screen on the way, the brightness would not be a problem with polariser...

so wait n see, it's not necessary for E3, but maybe later.

darkfaerytales
31st May 2009, 01:45 AM
ok, we have 2 full days of pure speculations and thoughts left

then the judgement day will arrive

i will pray the great spirit of pierre belmondo in these couple of days for let me have tigron & vanuber, along with new modes a full set of tracks and cool new options,skins, menus, goodies

p.s. at our time year 2009 pierre belmondo would be a 5 year kid heehhehe...but i will pray the great spirit of ag racing anyway:+

blackwiggle
31st May 2009, 03:40 AM
The problem with 200Hz TV's is that it is using interpolation to add frames [sort of upscaling].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation

These things have problems,mainly because you can't really add information if it was never there,which 200Hz & 100Hz screens try to do.
It helps reduce judder,but is dependent on the source material on how successful it appears,rapidly moving objects and fine detail can still cause these systems problems & fine detail to be masked.

Never having seen RealD shown on one of these 200Hz screens but having an educated guess,I would think that since the 3D system uses quickly flashing alternating images spaced apart [binocular disparity for the tech minded],the 200Hz processing would confuse the 3D image,making it blurry when that 3D imaged moved about the screen.
Where's standard 50Hz or 60Hz native refresh rate would keep this edge blurring to a minimum.

I could be wrong,but I don't think I am.

ProblemSolver
31st May 2009, 10:23 AM
@blackwiggle: Nope, they don't try to gain any additional information
from interpolation. The inter-frame interpolation really helps to reduce
judder on low frame-rate signale, ghosting (via black frame insertion),
and so on.

However, we can turn off all these (200Hz) features while gaming.

Spece2goin
31st May 2009, 12:14 PM
i was just saying that if 200Hz does exist, that means they can provide fast screens
with 3D there are 2 times more images to display, so that kind of screen can do.
if a screen can display 200Hz (with interpolation or whatever), then 120Hz is possible, so 2 times 60Hz, the awesome freshrate of our favorite game! ;)

however, that means the game will have to compute 2 times more images, and i don't know if the PS3 really can.

ProblemSolver
31st May 2009, 02:47 PM
@Spece2goin:
Yeah right. But it isn't said that each 200Hz display is able to output a
given specific refresh rate, for example 120Hz. There are TFT panels that
can output 60Hz as well as 75Hz but can't 69Hz or 72Hz.

... however, that means the game will have to compute 2 times more images, and i don't know if the PS3 really can.
Well, it depends. If WipEout HD has efficienlty taped out the performance
of the PS3, which I don't assume, then we will only get the 3d effect at a
lower display resolution as well as geometric resolution, because the
bandwidth of the system would already be fully saturated. I think that the
Cell processor isn't the problem here, but I guess that the RSX is bounded
on rasterizing a frame "fast enough", meaning, you have the data ready
for the left eye / frame but the RSX might not be able to rasterize the
given data at 1080p in about 1/120s ~= 8ms for the given shaders
currently applied.

I have to admit that I know nothing about the RSX, but the
dynamic-frame-buffer technique used for WipEout HD indicates that
the RSX might be the problem. Anyways, I'm sure SL can do it. :)

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 09:45 PM
Problem with the RSX is that it's basically an nVidia 7900, modified of course but it's still part of that generation. We've seen some truly spectacular games come out, like Killzone 2, but a lot of this wouldn't be possible without the Cell which can also be used to render graphics through the SPUs (Which is why I talk about Killzone 2). Because of this duality in the graphics rendering I doubt we can push the system more up to the 3D department We are going to see good looking games again, like God of War 3, but at one point code optimization becomes nigh impossible to do, and it will stop there before we reach 3D as we are already using a lot of the system's capabilities.
It might come for PS4 though, and if Sony does it right it will have backwards compatibility at no additional manufacturing cost, and will feature 3D "upscale" of PS3 games :o

Sch@dows
31st May 2009, 10:09 PM
counting on the backward compatibility ... well i hope it will not be like they did with the PS3 which was removed just a few month after the launch in europe -__-

Sony was making a good move when implementing that compatibility with the PS2, but (for cost reason i think) not with the current generation.

SaturnReturn
31st May 2009, 10:37 PM
Well, it depends. If WipEout HD has efficienlty taped out the performance of the PS3, ......words.....but the RSX might not be able to rasterize the given data at 1080p in about 1/120s ~= 8ms for the given shaders
currently applied....
I have to admit that I know nothing about the RSX, but the dynamic-frame-buffer technique used for WipEout HD indicates that the RSX might be the problem. Anyways, I'm sure SL can do it. :)

Woah! Jargon Attack! :blarg. I think I understood this though, so I'm rather proud of myself :D Also, "rasterize" has got to be the most fun sounding technical word I ever heard.

AnErare
31st May 2009, 10:41 PM
What do you think of "bogomips"? ;P It's a term used in the Linux world for referencing CPU speed at system initialization I think.

I am pretty high on anticipation right now as E3 is closing in really fast!

SaturnReturn
31st May 2009, 10:43 PM
It's not as good as rasterize because it doesn't have any other meaning for me. Whereas rasterize could be interpreted as something completely different :)

blackwiggle
1st June 2009, 01:16 AM
Ideally you could set your LCD TV's screen to any multiple of the incoming signal like you can with your graphic cards software or Powerstrip.

But I can't see manufactures putting that feature on a TV set,as most people can't even set up a TV properly,they tend to whack all the video controls to around the 75% mark and wonder why they have a crappy picture.

I have two friends that both bought SONY Bravia set's at the same time, both only having a very basic understanding of video settings and controls,both had asked me to come around to set the sets up.
The first was playing his PS3 on it when I went around and was saying how much better it looked on the new set.
I took one look at and realized he hadn't changed the output settings on the PS3 so it was still in SD,he though it was HD :redface:

The picture was still crap,he had every video processing control turned on and others set at 75%,video artifacts everywhere.

About 30 minutes "Undoing" his setup and another 30 spent with a test DVD and writing down what each setting should be next the each controls description in his TV's manual [so he couldn't stuff it up again], all was looking very nice indeed