PDA

View Full Version : widescreen?

djb
12th February 2002, 08:04 PM
has anyone else noticed that the widescreen option doesnt work? or that the damage simulator cant be turned off?

Wamdue
13th February 2002, 06:13 AM
the damage simulator can be turned off and on. Damage simulator means that the ship will handle worse after a hit on your airbrakes or similar. The ship will still take "visual" damage.

I tried the widescreenoption yesterday, and it didnt work for me either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wamdue on 2002-02-13 07:14 ]</font>

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 11:42 AM
What do you mean by "the widescreen option doesn't work"? I use it since the very begininning and I always thought it was working... :smile: Anyway, should just be a sort of different projection of the 3d enviroment so that proportion are coherent in 16:9.
:???:

brokenvoice
13th February 2002, 06:24 PM
All it does is stretch the image vertically so when it is projected onto a 16:9 screen it looks in proportion. Shame really, it would have been nice to have proper widescreen.

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 11:12 PM
In my experience, that's what the widescreen option does in videogames (GT3, SSX). Surely it couldn't increase viewing area as it would mean more pixel, so less performance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UncleZeiv on 2002-02-14 00:13 ]</font>

brokenvoice
14th February 2002, 07:55 AM
Yeah I phrased that wrong.... I was playing around with WF last night and I found a setting on my TV that made it work perfectly.

By default I have my telly set to smart so it usually autodetects what ratio to use. That works fine with most games, but with WF it wasn't. What I mistook for a shoddy widescreen mode was actually the TV not being set properly. When I set it to 16:9 instead of smart it worked a treat and really sharpened up.

vincoof
14th February 2002, 09:04 PM
Zeiv : you can increase the field of view and then stretch the picture. and you will have absolutely no loss of performance, but you'll lose a bit of precision in width (pixels will look like 2 more wide than high).

In a 3D engine, it's just one line of code to increase the field of view :smile:

UncleZeiv
15th February 2002, 12:42 AM
vincoof: I know, by "[the widescreen option] couldn't increase viewing area" I just wanted to say you couldn't effectively increase the image resolution horizontaly (say, from 640x480 to 853x480). Note that I previously said "[widescreen option] should just be a sort of different projection of the 3d enviroment so that proportion are coherent in 16:9" :wink:

Thruster2097
15th February 2002, 07:10 AM
that's exactly the point.
it doesn't work!
Take (for example) the rotating rings in the centre of the screen when a track is loading.
With the widescreen setting to "off" and viewing through a "square" 4:3 television, the rings are perfectly positioned, and correctley proportioned. If you view the same rings through a 16:9 widescreen television, the rings appear stretched to the sides, which is nothing unusual. However, change the widescreen setting to "on" and I expect those circles to appear as geometrically perfect circles. But it still displays them as distorted, hence the topic of this post, "the widescreen button doesnt work".
That is one good point which I woild like to make about SSX Tricky: it lets you choose between 4:3, 16:9 and 16:9 Animorphic. To my knowledge, no other game lets you do this.

science
15th February 2002, 09:14 AM
i can tell you now that most widescreen corrections dont correct anything except your main game screen. fonts and menus are not properly corrected. this is true with almost all ps2 widescreen corrections.

infoxicated
15th February 2002, 09:29 AM
Apparently it does work - but if your TV is set to automatically compensate for the signal it gets, then it wont work. Some "Smart" tv's are cancelling out the signal.

Don't know why and I don't have a widescreen tv myself to test it.

UncleZeiv
15th February 2002, 10:13 AM
I think "science" is right.
:infox - the signal should be exactely the same; "smart" tv's just switch to widescreen mode when they detect black stripes on top and on bottom of the image. Wipeout signal is always 4:3, so smart tv can't detect if the widescreen option is on. ...as far as I know from direct experience :wink:

djb
3rd March 2002, 05:46 PM
i wonder if they will fix it, or just take the option out of preferences?, surely they cant leave it as it is?