PDA

View Full Version : Europe, Japan or USA?

xEik
28th August 2002, 01:41 PM
The other day I was with some friends and a discussion came up: Who do better games American or Japanese programming teams?

I was the only one to say none of them. It has to be European. They looked at me as if I was martian. :D However, games like WipEout series, Tomb Raider or Soul Reaver back my choice.

What do you people think? Who are the best game developpers?

By the way, my second choice would be Japan.

AmishRobot
28th August 2002, 02:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Soul Reaver was an American game... the first Legacy of Kain was Canadian, and the newest LOK was European made.

I think it depends on the genre. Generally speaking, America makes the best FPS's and sports games, Europe makes the best 3rd person adventures and racing games, and Japan makes the best platformers and fighters.

Overall I think America produces the most good games, but all the true classics still seem to come from Japan. Europe, Australia and Canada all produce their share of winners too, however.

xEik
28th August 2002, 03:38 PM
I looked at it and you're right. Crystal Dynamics (American) released Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (I never played it), later the company was bought by Eidos Interactive (European) and after that Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was released.

That's why I thought wrongly it was European, because I saw it was an Eidos game. However, imo Crystal Dynamics made a European-style 3rd person game, as they belonged then to an European company.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

spooky
28th August 2002, 03:47 PM
It may have been an American game but the designer was British, I used to work with him (Mike Ellis) back at Psygnosis when we did Colony Wars.

btw, hello all, Lee Carus here, worked with Nick on Wipeout 1 :D

Lance
28th August 2002, 08:01 PM
hi Lee. welcome to the forums. you also worked on 2097/XL, didn't you? at least i think i saw your name in the credits of the PC version

stin
28th August 2002, 09:04 PM
hi spooky! its a pleasure to meet you from the wipeout freak! 8)

stin :D

Wamdue
28th August 2002, 09:28 PM
its very nice to see some of the old school developers posting and discussing here :)

I think Europe has some great games, and America too.
its like, americans and europeans develop the same kind of games.. more for the 15+ audience, and Japans games are heavier on the gameplay department and lesser or graphics.. for example, the mgs games had a bigger success in america and europe than in its homeland Japan..

xEik
28th August 2002, 10:40 PM
Good to see another WipEout developper in the forums.
Thanks for the info, Spooky. My impression was always that Soul Reaver had the European touch. But facts are better than impressions.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

AmishRobot
29th August 2002, 12:13 AM
The more I think about it, Soul Reaver did had a very european feel. One thing European games have over others it definitely atmopshere. Wipeout's the obvious example, but has anyone ever played the 3D version of Space Hulk? That game is just dripping with atmosphere. Not the greatest technical achievement in the world, but it's the only game that's honestly scared the hell out of me!

Sven
29th August 2002, 04:11 PM
I seem to have a taste for european games, myself. Psygnosis, for example, was an awesome company.

infoxicated
29th August 2002, 04:26 PM
It still is... sorta... ;)

jmoid
29th August 2002, 07:22 PM
i suppose in the main i prefer japanese games, cause i like the gameplay, and they way they don't always try to make them realistic, just fun to play. the general attitude towards gaming seems very different in japan - not so testosterone fuelled.

NB there are plenty of european + US games i like too.

Lance
29th August 2002, 07:22 PM
does Psygnosis still have a corporate existence? or is it just Sony now?

infoxicated
29th August 2002, 08:33 PM
It's pretty much just Sony now...

Wiseman
30th August 2002, 10:20 AM
If you would have asked me this question about 5 years ago, I would have said Europe, easily.

However, lately, with the exception of the GTA series, they've been slacking off

Eidos Interactive has grown into the horrid repuation of inhaling any company they can get their greedy little hands on, and then in turn using their big name licenses to shovel out crap sequels that look as if they are 50 percent complete tops.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, for instance, was nothing more than a substandard 3rd person action game begging to be played because "I have Kain, a blood sucking vampire! Remember me! Buy me!"

Soul Reaver 2 was nothing more than a super linear version of the original, bringing back memories of how Tomb Raider 2 related to the first one.

Wipeout Fusion has done nothing to help this, so I'm hoping QR will be able to change my mind and show me there is still hope in European outside of Rockstar.

As to which is the best, I have no clue. Each territory has their fair share of great games and of crap games, like I said before, 5 years ago I would have said Europe, however, the playing field has been leveled out greatly since then.

Feisar
10th October 2002, 08:43 PM
i will say European teams because i love Electronica music and thats what the majority of the games have it in

DJ Techno
14th October 2002, 04:13 PM
I will go for both European and American games

Piranha Advancements
16th November 2002, 06:02 AM
Japan,America with Euro last.I love my share of action games from the American shores but the RPG influx from Jap land makes me happy-happy-joy-joy.That and their sheer flexibility on genres.Why,who doesnt want to play the sheer horribleness of Cho Aniki or Time Stripper Mako?