PDA

View Full Version : WipEoutZone Members Questions

Thruster2097
25th August 2002, 12:38 PM
They're just for fun, its just something to reply to if theres nothing better else to do, really....

1. How did you get involved in the WipEout?

2. Did WipEout hold instant appeal, or did you just grow into it?

3. How does Fusion compare to previous iterations of WipEout?

4. How much do you think that music and sound adds to the game-play experience?

5. Why do you think the WipEout Series became such a cult classic?

6. Which is your favourite WipEout vehicle?

7. Which is your favourite environment/track?

8. What do you like best about the game?

9. What is your favourite Playstation game?

10. Gaming is:

Thruster2097
25th August 2002, 12:41 PM
I might aswell reply first...

1. I got WipEout 1 on the Sega Saturn because I heard so much about it on the radio. It took me a little while to get used to the “hovering “ motion of the craft, but after that, there was no turning back!

2. For me, it held an instant appeal. Loads of my friends tried the game, but couldn’t get used to the controls, so they ended up giving the games back to the shops from whence they came, trading them in for g-police or destruction derby. I got my SegaSaturn in `95, and all my mates got Playstations. I was told that the” WipEout is much harder on the playstation….” So……. June `96, and I got my Playstation, and a new challenge of WipEout – which I still haven’t completed!

3. Technically, it is ahead of its predecessors (duh!) but I still feel that it has a lot to learn from games like Gran Turismo 3 and SSX Tricky. They both have hi-res graphics, with no slowdown. This is something that really does need to be addressed urgently. Perhaps the dev. Team pushed the limits of the PS2 too far, and WipEout Fusion would be ideally suited for the PS3.
The gameplay has taken some radical twists – literally! The flip pads and the looping and corkscrew sections are entirely new to the series. My opinion is that someone had a last-minute brain aneurysm and decided to make the craft defy the gravity which they are already defying. It’s like anti-anti-anti gravity, man!
My opinion is that Fusion definitely doesn’t rank best in show. Maybe a close third. But I don’t think there will be another game quite like WipEout2097. 6 years on and it till keeps surprising! How many other computer games can boast that statement!

4. Music and sound provides half of the game. It is key to get the right music to fit the pace of the game, and the right sounds to make the player feel like there is real interaction between their environment, and the game.
WipEout series has always been associated with the clubbing scene. I’m not sure why, really.. WipEout 1, definatley. WipEout2097 caught the fever, but introduced mainstream popular bands (prodigy) in an attempt to make it more accessible to Mr. And Ms. Joe Average. Wip3out was mostly dance scene orientated (not clubbing – there IS a difference), with a giant portion of the soundtrack owed to dance guru Sasha. `Fusion has hit it spot-on, though. Most of the tracks that are in the game are becoming mainstream now, and if that isn’t testament to the power of a videogame, then I don’t know what is.

5. Honestly, no idea.
It came, It saw, It conquered all.
‘nuff said!

6. The Feisar from Wip3out. Angles in all the right places….. I’d definitely buy one!

7. Gare d’Europa from WipEout 2097. Perfect futuristic dark night and neon-soaked atmosphere, and an unforgiving, twisty track. Its why the game was invented. But there are so many to choose from – they’re all good!

8. It’s pick-up-and-thrash-ability.
Switch on, freak out, feel dizzy, spend rest of day in rehab.
Sounds like a healthy lifestyle to me!

9. What… other than wipEout?
Seriously, I love music, and I really like the mix of computers and music, hence the reason why I probably got every EJay ever made, all (two) bemani games released in the UK (beatmania and dancing stage euromix).(and NO, I do not have the dancemat controller… though it might make for an interesting game of WipEout Fusion… it would probably look more like twister!) .
Best game at the moment definitely somewhere between FreQuency and Grand Theft Auto 3.

10. “Healthy exercise… for your thumbs!”

zaarock
25th August 2002, 02:51 PM
1. i was in my cousands house then i asked what games do you have and he had got two games for his psx one was an adventure game and the second was a racing game
wipeout 2! i just wanted to see it and then i just played and played and loved it and much much time later i went to my friends house he had wipeout3 special edition i saw some picture of wipeout fusion and i dreamed that i would have it but i thought i would newer get a ps2 than at christmas 2001 i got a ps2 and i just :o yyyyyaaaaaaaayyyyyy! and i just waited and waited that wipeout fusion would come to the stores and it came and i got it 8) .

2.instant appeal literally

3.well the ships dont go up and down and music isnt so good they should still be repaired

4.well i have wipeout 3 too and its music just is so good that it gets me to a good mood :D

5.addictivness, music and the weapons.

6.this is so simple xioses last form beutiful :wink:

7.it must be devilia the last one.

8.the games you mean ? ok in fusion: graphics, weapons and ships wipeout3:smoothiness and same things in wipeout fusion.

9.ps2 or ps1/psx ps2:wipeout fusion ps1: wipeout 3 so simple :)

10.fun and a challenge

rhys
25th August 2002, 04:39 PM
1. i played a demo of 2097, and loved it!!

2. instant!!

3. i know alot of people here dont, but i really like fusion. i think its just as good as any, exept for the few bugs:(

4. the music and sound makes the game!!!

5. because it was the first of its kind. mixed with cool music and good game it appealed 2 older gamers.

6. fully upgraded xios, gotta love it

7. hhhmmmm, its between phenetia park and mandrashee 3

8. the whole futury feel, i love it!

9. final fantasy 7 and 10 are both very good but nothing beats wipeout.

10.gaming is : made perfect by wipeout

Wamdue
25th August 2002, 08:19 PM
1. I saw it in Super Power ( a swedish gaming magazine now called Super Play) , it was two small small screenshots.. and it was all concept so those 2 ships show in the screenshot never made it in, but I was hooked.. one of the very reasons I sold my snes for the psx.

2. Instant appeal, took me 3 days of non-stop play to finish it.

3. Not even close to the gameplay of wipEout , wo2097 and wo3.

4. A lot.. Some of the sounds during the races of fusion are really good.. the engine sounds are excellent, music is also very important.. especially in wipEout, ill tell you why in number 5.

5. I think wipEout´s success lies within being the first to have artists produce their soundtrack / licensed songs. And having tDR design it.. the design is a huge part of wipeout for me, hell.. the reason why Im studying design is because the impact the design of wipEout had.

6. Piranha in wipEout 2097

7. That german track in wo2097, or Manor Top.. ive spent countless hours on that one.

8. The difficulty, speed and feel.

9. Metal Gear Solid :o , I love wipEout, but I love mgs just as much! I play a lot ( A LOT) of counter-strike, but thats not like a game for me, its more of .. uhm.. like a soccer practice as its more of a daily routine hehe

10. I was close writing "life" there.. but, my life has a lot of other factors besides games ;), but 80% of my sparetime goes for game-related stuff.

AmigoJack
25th August 2002, 10:02 PM
1) saturn 2097 demo: sagarmatha and feisar only for either venom or rapier. but it came quite late and then i also played it very seldomly - i was kinda afraid of controlling such a fast racing game and never thought of being able to handle it. but then my sympathy for it rose.

i liked it from the very first days because of its design, its neo-type cold'n'clear atmosphere - but playing the game took me long to like it simply because of fear. i also saw "random" wipeout related things before (must be brand-new on psx those days) like on a poster when a dj was interviewed in tv...

to make it short - my way to W'O'' was so odd - and i rather let it all came to me than going forward to it and say "wipeout blasts - i want it - i want a psx" - til today somehow...

2) both, because earlier i never saw wipeout in whole (see above)

3)cant really comment on this; it seems to be quite interesting but has a different atmosphere than wipeout (which interests too somehow). i think id more welcome it when fusion wouldnt have the "wipeout" name

4) essentially! and mostly the worst games got the best soundtracks ive ever heard. but wipeout did both

5)dont know. mostly when i think ive found a masterpiece its gone within the masses without any notice. so i even wonder that wipeout has become that popular

6)2097 feisar because it was the first one which i controlled to often. in wip3out the best looking ones are auricom and pirhana.

7)sagarmatha - pure rushin!

8) purity. no popular wank. hi-end design. perfect atmosphere. harmony between all parts of the game!

9)got no psx

10)...a world to immerse into where you can be the hero, where you can be the mastermind, where you know all tricks, where you should be aware of that it isnt reality.

Wiseman
26th August 2002, 08:24 AM
1)The "Playstation Picks" demo disk that came with my PSX on that day back in Sept 95 (early adopter here)

2)The only thing that stopped me from playing the demo so much was it's insane load times, there were no track profiles to look at, just a dumb "Loading, Hold Tight!" screen, and about a 30-45 second wait. Add that to the wait for the title screen (worthless since you couldn't do anything) and the fact that you only raced around Altima VI 1 lap (or maybe it was 2, can't remember) and you had a demo where you spent more time waiting for it to load that you did playing it! Not a good way to have a demo.

It was still fun though.

I rented Wipeout as soon as it came out, and rented XL when it came out. It wasn't until about 6 months to a year after XL came out that I saw the original Wipeout in the bargin bin for $10. Scooped it up and later bought XL for around $20.

About another 6 or so months after that, I saw this board, and learned that there was a Wipeout 3, and was like "Whoa, when did that come out! How come I never saw any ads for it, no reviews in mags, nothing! Wipeout XL was everywhere when it came out, basically impossible to miss."

Right away I was kinda peeved at SCEA for their obvious lack of support for the product, but went out on a search to try to find it anyway. Well, I searched all over Houston, and turned up nothing. I wasn't until about 3 months after that I was strolling through EB, and caught a glimpse of a used copy for $8. Scooped it up immediately, of course. ;) Best damn $8 I ever spent, if you ask me!

3)It's pretty lackster, IMO. They screwed with it too much, and as result, it lacks the balance and replayability the other games in the series had.

4)I think it's more important for things like racing and fighting games than it is anywhere else. I do think it's important for every game though, but there are more important things in gaming.

5)I don't know about Europe, but in the US, it was because it was a fad. Wipeout enjoyed a underground success, but it wasn't until Wipeout XL that the game became the "cool" thing to own. After that, it faded and as a result, most of the people didn't like Wipeout 3.

Sony could have helped with trying to find a new audience, since the fadsters had obivously already moved on to other things, but noooooooooooooo, then they could have actually made $$$ off of it. :roll:

6)Piranha in Wipeout XL.

7)There are a lot of them I like, it's really hard to say. I just couldn't pick a fav.

8)Definitely the reward and the intensity of it. Sure, there are other AG racers, but they just can't match the intensity that the Wipeout series (up till Fusion at least) offers.

They also can't offer the reward, there is nothing like making a perfect lap around a track at the fastest speed setting with the fastest ship.

Hell, the only thing any better is sex. :wink:

9)The original Tomb Raider. Above anything, I am an explorer and a puzzle solver, and Tomb Raider gave me plenty of both, along with a great story.

Metal Gear Solid would definitely fall in at slot #2. Never before, and never since have I stood in a corner of a level for 2+ hours, fiddling around with my various gadgets. And that was only the demo that came with OPM!

10)Great! Each year I think it is falling(in overall quality of the games released), and each year they prove me wrong. Prove me wrong again this year, please!

Vasudeva
26th August 2002, 12:26 PM
Hello all,

Cool topic Thruster.

Let's see....

1. There was a Saturn mag called "Mean Machines" which had a huge preview on wipEout coming to the Saturn, and it looked gorgeous. I convinced my brother to buy it (I was broke :D) and alea iacta fuit 8).

2. Instant appeal, most definitely.

3. It's sad to see that wipEout has fallen victim to the "sequelitis" disease, that gets a hold of most gaming series sooner or later (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Command and Conquer...): the graphics and the cool add-ons keep coming, but where's the spirit? A lot of games direly lack soul these days. WOF is just another game of the stack, and it could have been much better gameplay-wise.

4. A lot. Nothing can compare to taking the red corners in Gare d'Europe while the uneasy "Tin There" is playing, or crushing your opponents with "The Third Sequence" at Spilskinanke. Or enjoying the landscape at Valparaìso with "Landmass". And "Messij" at the post-indstrial Korodera! Or hearing "Xpander"... Ahh.

5. Because the first three installments managed to capture the spirit of a new generation, looking to the future: a combination of speed, hi-tech, optimism and a certain amount of gloominess and dreaminess. I'll never forget staring into the aurora sky at Altima VII for the first time. WO has sort of become the thinking man's racing game. Its appeal reaches far beyond immersing gameplay.

6. Technically, ICARAS from WO:SE. But aesthetically speaking, I'd have to go for Assegai (with the side-cockpit!) or Qirex from 2097/XL.

7. Spilskinanke, Gare d'Europe, SilverStream, Sampa Run, Katmoda 12, Mandrashee, Sagarmatha, Korodera...

8. Its fluidity and atmosphere.

9. WO:SE

10. .... a sweet vice.

Peace,
V.

infoxicated
26th August 2002, 06:24 PM

Bought Wipeout 3 on the chance it might be a decent game - totally loved it and never looked back.

I kind of knew as soon as I played it that it would be a long, long time before I would rate another game as highly.

It scores points in some places, like graphics, visual and audio effects, and AI but loses them in virtually every other department.

Quite a bit - a poor soundtrack sticks out like a sore thumb, whereas a good soundtrack will make the game all the more funky to play. On the rare occasion like in Wipeout 3, it fits with the ambience of the game just perfectly.

No idea - wasn't around at the start and I find the first game unplayable! ;)

2097/XL and Wipeout 3 are great glimpses of a possible future racing series... sadly Wipeout Fusion's cheesy characters and track shortcuts just turn the whole series into a piss-take of itself.

A tie between Wipeout 3's AG Systems and Wipeout Fusion's EG.R Technologies craft - hey, it had to get something right! ;)

Manortop from Wipeout 3, although there are a couple of good ones in Wipeout Fusion... sadly ruined for me by the shortcuts.

In Wipeout 3 it has to be the whole package - the music, graphics, setting and the craft handling. If I had to sum it up, I'd say it's the experience of piloting one of those futuristic craft in a heated battle with a load of other ships. Too cool :)

My favourite playstation 1 game has to be Wipeout 3 Special Edition. With PS2 I'd have to say GTA3 so far, although Madden and Ace Combat 4 run close seconds.

10. Gaming is:

Gaming is not just playing the game. Gaming is getting excited three months before the release of a game you want when you see some blinding screenshots on the net. It's counting down the days and hours until release date and the heartbreak of learning the date has been put back a month.

Gaming is finally handing over your cash at the game shop and wishing you could teleport home there and then to get stuck in. It's when you finally get home on a Friday, stick the disc in the console and wait impatiently as it spins up to speed. It's the hairs on the back of your neck that stand on end to let you know that an eternity of waiting has come down to this moment. The obligatory studio logos with embarrasing animation pop up for the first time, but even if you know they look stupid it does nothing to deter you as you wait with baited breath... making doubly sure that you don't nudge a single one of the controller buttons in case you accidentally skip the all important intro sequence. (Hell, you'll probably only ever watch it once, but these moments are there to be savoured.)

Gaming is suddenly realising it's 3am on the Saturday morning. You have no idea where the last 10 hours have gone and you realise the oven has been heating up in anticipation of a ready meal that whole time.

You shrug, pause the game, stick the frozen pizza in the oven and swear to yourself that you better not forget about it, before getting back to the game for just one more go. Sure enough, at approaching 4am the smoke alarm tells you that you had much more than one more go.

The rest of the weekend goes in pretty much the same manner and on the monday when you have to go back to school/college/uni/work you are watching the clock all day, impatience burning away with the urge to get back to the virtual world that has captivated you and empowered you in so many more ways than this real one can.

That. For me. Is Gaming. :)

jmoid
26th August 2002, 06:54 PM

i got the playstation demo disc too, i'd forgotten about those loading times, they were a killer... just a feisar and gare d'europa on the demo - it was unlike any game i'd ever played. this was about 4 years ago i think.

i loved it straight away. that demo was (and still is) the closest thing i've seen to the kind of videogames i used to dream about when i was a kid moving blobs around the tv screen with an atari joystick. games for me are all about futurism, anti-reality. the demo was just so exciting; i found it quite challenging to play, but i stayed up until all hours of the morning trying to master it. my girlfriend bought me a 2nd hand copy of 2097 for my birthday not long after (we were both very skint at the time so i couldn't buy many games) and i pretty much played nothing else except tekken 2 for about a year or so.

the music and the look of the game are fantastic - i think the track designs in particular are well worthy of the wipeout mantle, but sadly the ship handling is poor. it feels like they dumbed the gameplay down to make the game more accessible, following the relatively poor sales of (the brilliant) wip3out, and that spoilt it for me. i only bought my ps2 because fusion was about to be released, so it was quite a dissapointment. i'd speculate that the designers were under pressure to get big sales.

a great deal. i'm a musician so what mmy ears tell me is important to me. many developers don't place emphasis on the aural element of their games, reasoning (i presume) that even if the sound is poor, people will still buy their products if the gameplay is good enough (look at the music in the Gran Toursimo series for example.) however, if games are to be a truly immersive experience, then surely every aspect deserves thorough attention to detail - the near-legendary status of wipeout 2097 should be proof enough of that.

it creates a world all of it's own - something i think games should do more. it demands careful practice. it just rocks, generally.

the AG systems from 2097 - i like the quickness combined with easy(ish) handling. AG-systems forever!!!! :) (i admit i defected to eg-r for a while though.)

gare d'europa for me too, it's a work of art! the thought that has gone into all the wipeout tracks amazes me. manortop and vostok island are a close joint second, and temtesh bay course 1 in 3rd.

hmm, that's pretty tough... i suppose the rush of playing, the purity of the experience. it's almost like you don't have time to think, only to play. just switch off and fly...

wipeout 2097

10. Gaming is:

fun! and unlike anything else. i went to the game on! exhibition, and one thing that interested me was a quote about how top game players in korea have almost the same status as top athletes. roll on the day when gamers all over the world can compete, and we have the chance to be stars too! good answers from infox on this one too.

wipeoutfan2
29th August 2002, 10:44 PM
I am only gonaa answer number 9 cos i am lazy sometimes :P

9. the best ever game is the ORGINAL , Wipeout for the playstation.

I personally still think it has the best track design of any of the wipeout series.

I have not seen ONE other person say WIPEOUT is their favourite on these boards, (everyone seems to say XL/or 3SE) but i am sticking with the......

ORIGINAL AND STILL THE BEST. :wink:

Comments welcome!

Piranha Advancements
5th September 2002, 07:18 PM

Bought it out of sheer boredom for lack of games back then.

Didnt like it at first.Then a friend of mine gave me the official F3600 stickers and the ships offa Edge or Next Gen mag and lets just say.they're adorned on the cover of my PSX til now.I love DR's stuff back then and electronica is great so upon realising the package,loving it's natural

Bigger,better,faster,tougher?Tough call but I'd say the original Wipe'out" cuz' I worship everything about it.

Sasha,Tim Wright,Paul Van Dyke,Chem Bros. etc + Quake Dispensors,Orbital Cannon,Penetrator etc + Phantom,Zone = Orgy.

It's those minionspawns of DR spreading propaganda way back then.

Piranha Advancements and Feisar.

Silverstream,Firestar,Korodera,Spilskinanke and Florion Height.

Design implementations,logos and architecture.

I wont be biased.Chrono Trigger since the SNES days and it's PS incarnation.

10. Gaming is:..bad since chicks are not interested about you burning those hours getting the BP/FP Trashmaster in GTA3,getting 2'30 for Heihachi in Tekken 4,a godly perfect data in FF Tactics or making them swoon with your heroic Platinum Captain of the Manticore character in Soul Calibur.So gaming is bad.

Nathan Adams
9th September 2002, 06:54 AM
One part DR, one part WO64 on special

No. First time I played it was a psx demo station in some store. I hated it. Thought the controls were hidious, and couldn't wait to get back to my N64. hmm..... things change!

It doesn't

It's very important. Without the music, wipeout isn't wipeout. Just like it's not wipeout without the sense of design. It's not just the [i[game[/i[, it's an entire expereience

Partly because of Q4. Partly because it was the first to be aimed at a new, older market. Partly because it was actually good

WO3's Auricom

Manor Top

see Q4

wip3out

10. Gaming is: a distraction from reality

xEik
10th September 2002, 04:02 PM
When the first WipEout went out I had or was about to have a SegaSaturn. I was much of a Sega fan boy then. However, seeing the screenshots in the mags made me think: those PSX guys have quite a work of art game. When Saturn WO version came out, PSX 2097 version was almost there or already there so I thought again: cool game. It wasn't until almost a year later that I bought a PSX and the first game I bought it with was WO2097 (Platinum Edition). I already liked the screenshots but after playing it I can say that I fell in love. I found out about Wip3out in store shelves. Never got to read a review on it (too bad for the mags) and at that time I thought the case drawing was ugly and I preferred to stay with old 2097. Later I found 3 as a bargain and after the disc began spinning love was there again. After that I found caz's wipeout.de (was that the url?) and I got to a new level of WO series fan and bought platinum version of original WO. I never got to enjoy that one as many people may have (being my third one) but it was good to see how everything started. ($h*t that was far too long :P )

Totally instant appeal, as well in the mags as in the PSX. The music, the graphics, the atmosphere was what I had always been expecting from a game.

Never played it. Not owning a PS2 I don't know if I ever will, seeing that most people here don't play it any longer after 3 months but keep playing Wip3out after 3 years.

It's, with no doubt, half the game. It wouldn't be the same experience without it. Besides I've always thought that when buying a WO game you buy two things: a PSX game and an Electronic music CD ready to listen. You won't find anything cheaper. :D

It came out in the first days of really 3D good looking (polygons + textures) racing games. It became a PSX myth (much more impressive than Ridge Racer on that time). Quality electronical music was on its world wide eclosion when the game came out although it had existed for a very long time. It was for hardcore gamers (this makes a game more likely to become a myth), many other things, I could never end...

WipEout2097 AG-5Y5. Althogh my first WO vehicle ever was 2097 FEISAR I soon realised it wasn't fast enough. I switched to AG-5Y5 and it's still the only one I use for 2097. I love his little double hull as well (I use the AG-5Y5 ship icon as 'My PC' in my XP desktop).

Mmmh I love Phenitia Park. Fast and twisty; orange sky... P-mar Project is also so beatiful and sleek, I could race them hours long.

The insane speed. The first time I played Talon's Reach I thought: it's quite fast. When I had to race it at Phantom class I thought: will my mind ever be able to handle this? Now I know the answer is 'no'. I don't play with my brain but with my spinal cord since the first controls rational and voluntary acts and the later controls involuntary reflexes. When racing at Phantom speed my fingers are driving through a curve while my brain is still assimilating the one I passed 2 or 3 seconds before.

If I have to say the one I've played the most: WipEout3. The one that thrilled me the most: Resident Evil 2. The one that impressed me the most: Soul Reaver (with the parallel reality concept). The one I probably enjoy the most: Tenchu (waiting hidden in the shadows for the right moment to neatly slice somebody's throat is funnier than I could ever think).

10. Gaming is: a time compressor. Never the time flows as fast as when I'm playing games.

Re-Cyph
13th September 2002, 04:21 AM
Re-Cyph :evil:

Friend of mine had bought a playstation when it first came out, he brought it over with Wipeout, we are no longer friends he has the playstation I kept the game...

I was hooked...

I havent bought fusion yet its not in my town yet and is not anywhere I looked in Victoria I'll buy a PS2 and it when I get money

I belive without that music those speeds could not be achieved! Ever since the w03 I've been a techno junkie, even gonna start producing in the near futrure, also when I get more money... Definently and important part of the game!

its a one of a kind game! Nothing like it out there!

Auricom (wipeout3) and that the little helicopter guy that picks you up after you fly off the track!

Pmar project , but I havent played se or fusion yet

The idea of antigravitiy racing and that fact that one day it may be a realistic possiblilty if we dont kill ourselves off before hand!.

Wipeout seriess, tony hawk seriess

10. Gaming is: Part of my life!

FoxZero
14th September 2002, 04:23 AM

game players magazine had two very early previews with beta screens of the game. i didnt own a playstation or a saturn, so i bought the game as soon as it came out on pc. despite the terrible vga graphics, the speed of the game was unparalleled. i used a gamepad to play the game, there was a bug for joysticks that did not let you use airbrakes in the pc version so i beat the entire game without them several times. at the time, it was not uncommon for me to spend 4 or 5 hours daily playing single races trying to improve my best race times.

i was already addicted to the game before it came out. the concept of anti-gravity racing ships with weapons was so awesome i couldnt get it out of my mind. i had all the us advertisements (the nose bleed was censored!) posted on my walls and i kept every mention of it in game players open to that page in my room. i bought the psx game before i owned a psx. once i actually could play the game, the addiction just grew stronger.

i got bored of it very quickly. this is not something that should happen to me in a wipeout game.

when the music complements the atmosphere of the game as well as it does in wipeout, it extends the enjoyment and lifetime of the game beyond just playing it. when the sound is done well, as it is in wipeout, it leaves a long lasting impression in your memory and you recall more often the excitement of the gameplay. they both have the potential to immensely add or detract from the game.

probably because of its futuristic atmosphere, its avant-garde music and art, and its subtle tounge-in-cheek humor. the difficulty and speed of the game also extend its lifetime far beyond other racing games.

for peformance, probably the ag systems from the original wipeout. the piranha from wip3out has the best design though, imo.

firestar. it is a very fast and demanding track which i enjoy playing again and again. i have also grown fond of terminal and stanza inter, believe it or not.

the rush you experience when you realize how fast you just went through the pmar project s-turns, the thrill of narrowly missing the hairpin wall of silverstream, and the euphoria of obliterating a record time by several seconds.

wip3out. i used to be a die-hard original wipeout fan, but wip3out is a larger game and the turbo boost pumps the race intensity up to thumb-blistering.

10. Gaming is:

for me it is a blissful weekend with a video drug addiction, locked inside of the physics of an alternate dimension, a virtual sport, increasing my performance and sharpening my reactions with high-pressure competition. it is the reflection of the ultimate challenger.. yourself. gaming is as deep as you dig and as wide as you look. you could let it swallow you and still beg for more. very few things can offer its level of satisfaction.

Spaceboy Gajo
14th September 2002, 05:45 AM
Great topic Thruster! I think all pilots should've used this template when they sent their first message in the pilots lounge. Now I want to add in my thoughts about these great questions.

Hi I'm Gajo, and I've been a wiper for seven years.

:D
__

Without getting all Bill Drummond (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-1445174-0127659)-like, and to keep a long story interestingly short, it was when the Playstation came out. Me and my friends were off on Christmas holidays and we wanted to see what this gaming machine was all about. So we rented it, but we needed another game other than Ridge Racer that came with it. That game was Wipeout. Although I do not remember what initially made us come that conclusion. All I remember was that the cover art looked great and so were the screen shots. It may have also been that my friend wanted to know if it was comparable to F-Zero.

Instantly! Watching that intro it totally floored us. Then the soundtrack. It involved Canada with having a Canadian track. The story line. Basically it was just about everything we loved it had.

I consider it average. It has a lot of good things and a lot of bad things making it equal.

For me both those things have everything to do with the gaming experience. You want to be put into a grove. If you start getting bored of the music and sound, it really affects the way you play and if you ever play again.

The atmosphere the setting of the game create, the music, design, gameplay and story. I enjoy it more for it's story though. To me it's great science fiction. I can see a movie being done like Infoxicated that Sony were doing at one point.

FEISAR. The handling and shields. Call me Eurocratic, but I love Europe and it's organizations. Even though I should be rooting for Auricom being a Canadian :wink:

Terminal. Just because it's one of the tracks that I do fairly good in.

The back story and setting.

Wipeout XL.

10. Gaming is:

One great big simulation. Allowing you to do limitless stuff in a limted enviroment. If that makes sense.

Hope that answers everything.

spaceboy gajo

satriani
25th September 2002, 05:59 PM
1. Friend brought over his PSOne with a copy of 2097 one night and that was it, hooked.

2. Like totally instant dude.

3. My copy out is they don't compare as there is something inherently different about Fusion and I don't like it.

4.Possibly more than I conciously realise.

5. There was always something raw about the series, I think it hits the right part of the brain with a lot of people.

6.Assegai W3SE

7. All

8. Seat of the pants speed with added annihilation (sic)

9. W3SE

10. Gaming is:Forced adrenaline production.

Nice to see you guys :D

infoxicated
25th September 2002, 08:21 PM
Howdy stranger! :)

How's Jake?

satriani
9th October 2002, 09:22 PM
:oops: Sorry for not giving a progress report. Almost six months old and a very happy boy he is too! Has been sleeping straight through since he was five weeks old, so we face the onset of teeth and a long or short hitch of sleepless nights. Still my access online is severley limited at the moment. Lets just say I joined yet another company just before it downsized so find my self temping after a month of gardening leave (cool time with Jake).

TTFN
Oh and its got to be 'One By One' 8)