PDA

View Full Version : Intros and demos

xEik
24th August 2002, 07:16 PM
Woah, the other day I found out what intros and demos are.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, they are exe files looking like a videoclip showing 3D generated images. Those bigger than 64 kB are called demos and the ones that are 64 kB or smaller are called intros.
What I find almost impossible to believe is what can be put in a 64 kB file.

Those with a powerful 3D card should check Sonnet here (http://www.scene.org/tips.php). Amazing.
Oh I'm afraid you'll need directx8 as well.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

AmigoJack
24th August 2002, 09:44 PM
aware from the fact that professional programming can really result in "light size"-executables there are also other ways to reduce the final filesize. if your "intro" has textures than im pretty sure theres also some compressed resource within that exe which is unpacked at runtime

(not making friends here with this now) if you got another game release from a warez group a few years ago there was also always an animated 3D-logo within plus sound. and the exe was v.small! (note to robert: delete if you dont like this post)

Wamdue
24th August 2002, 10:50 PM
yeah, the demo-scene is amazing.. the best democrews out there make some pretty awesome 3d effects. Hopefully, if I can cut 2 days off from school, ill be at dreamhack winter 02, the summer event I was at before was a game-lan.. DH winter is more of a demo-lan. I think you can find good demo related links at www.dreamhack.org

Asche XL
15th September 2002, 05:52 PM
How do you play it?

AmishRobot
15th September 2002, 06:48 PM
They're not playable. They're just programming demonstrations to show how rightous Scandinavian programmers can be. (No offense Wamdue! ;))