PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat does NOT work...

eLhabib
26th September 2008, 03:26 PM
Please, SL, look into this. The voice chat simply doesn't work. All I can hear from other people is chops and distortion (and it's not my headset, I'm sure - it did work quite okay when I did a test chat with Mad-Ice over the XMB).
I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but as it stands, it's useless. :(

Norfolk'n'Clue
26th September 2008, 03:34 PM
I've found that with every PS3 game online myself, not just WO. Not that I've tried it with WO, you understand, just never bothered because of the problem.

Axel
26th September 2008, 03:37 PM
It does work, just not good. i can barely hear people. Oh well.

mangaroo
26th September 2008, 03:50 PM
I haven't heard anyone either (yes when displaying the microphone icon) and no one has ever responded to me

Lion
26th September 2008, 03:53 PM
I've had plenty of good conversations through burnout paradise, so I know it CAN work.
but man is it ever awful trying to communicate with elhabib in game.. it was too compressed/garbled to be useful at all.
we resorted to typing messages in xmb while in the lobby instead of using voice chat

zerojay
26th September 2008, 04:00 PM
VOIP worked fine for me, though the quality is a bit lower than in Burnout.

RJ O'Connell
26th September 2008, 04:29 PM
Grr. And I was thinking it would be just like racing Forza 2 - players cutting up, joking and stuff in the lobby - except much more intimate and friendly, all in near-perfect clarity.

That needs to be on the high-priority "fix list" when a patch arrives.

mclarensmps
26th September 2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah, it's not with all PS3 games, Call of Duty had voice chat working perfectly well.

But yeah, the voice chat needs a bit of work here, you can't hear anyone on the other side coherently :P!

Darkdrium777
26th September 2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah I tried talking to a friend but it didn't work :( This should really be fixed. ;)

rdmx
26th September 2008, 06:26 PM
Sony needs to get the rights to the Speex codec! Kgogogo!

Alcachofa
26th September 2008, 06:35 PM
Please, SL, look into this. The voice chat simply doesn't work. All I can hear from other people is chops and distortion (and it's not my headset, I'm sure - it did work quite okay when I did a test chat with Mad-Ice over the XMB).
I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but as it stands, it's useless. :(

I heard one or two words when we were in the tournamement, sound quality was aweful but i heard other guys pretty clearly in other tournaments so i dunno what's wrong ...

Btw you and Mad-Ice mean business in tournaments lol :+

Axel
26th September 2008, 07:09 PM
I think it might have to do with both the headsets and connection. I couldn't hear my friend properly, but he could hear me nicely. Oh and El, when I first joined your game, you were crystal clear mate.

wirehang
30th September 2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, voice chat is abysmal on PS3

:(

Spoiling the online game a little for me

here's my mod to enable voice chat wihtout any need to press L1 ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2895967410_92544238fb.jpg

BentoBako
30th September 2008, 10:22 PM
I've had somebody talking to me in the lobby once, and I could understand him clearly. But when playing Warhawk, I hear nothing but static/distorted voices~ D:

Soccermom
30th September 2008, 10:49 PM
yeah, the voice chat is pretty much useless as it works right now. But then again, I have never seen any good voice-chat implementation on PS3, so I didn't really expect much.

I have a commercial 50-man ventrilo server running from my days as WOW-gamer, and if it has any interest you are all welcome to use that for some quality chatting. It does however require you to have a laptop or computer running next to you.

Let me know if it has any interest?

metalpancake
30th September 2008, 11:06 PM
My main problem is that in every race I join, no one seems to even use voice chat, so I can't chat in the first place. I reckon they should ad keyboard chat support for the lobby. That would be a simple means of communication.

crawdad62
1st October 2008, 01:09 AM
That's been my contention as well. I thought about getting a BT headset just so I'd have the voice capability in WOHD but I've been playing since release and very seldom does anyone chat. But to echo the original poster..... only once have I actually understood what anyone said.

Honestly having to depress the L1 button to chat would probably be too much for me while in play anyway. I'm too focused (read holding on for dear-life:D) to worry about chatting but it'd be nice in the lobby.

Darkdrium777
1st October 2008, 02:59 AM
Well if chatting worked for me, I'd be all over it. Sadly, either there's some problem with voice chat in the game code, or it's the fact that my 'high speed' internet connection is really basic and there's not enough bandwidth for gameplay and chat.
That would suck a lot. :bomb

leungbok
1st October 2008, 09:58 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2895967410_92544238fb_m.jpg

Is this "chat's mod" ? :g

Keenan
1st October 2008, 11:04 AM
I've been told from a few Beta testers on Killzone 2 (Sony game, not 3rd party) that it's even better than COD4 when it comes to voice chat. So if Killzone and Wipeout are both made by Sony companies (as far as i am aware), then it really doesn't make sense that one has great clarity and the other sounds like I'm using my headset on PES08 (horrible for those not in the know)

You'd think Sony would make a standard code or something along those lines to allow all voice chat in all PS3 games to work the same http://images.pesfan.com/smilies/confused.gif

Skvall
1st October 2008, 11:20 AM
Yes and send a headset with the console so everyone 1. have one 2. have the same so all sound good/alike.
And make a better connected community all over. Paying for it seems stupid at first but when you see how good it works on 360 and how bad it works in ps3, then you realize its totally worth the money. -_-

jweaver
1st October 2008, 11:34 AM
Out of interest, does "chat" work in race, or is it just a lobby feature.

In the lobby, I can see an icon when I press L1 (or is it L2).. But i don't know whether the same thing happens when racing. There certainly isn't an 'icon' (Atleast not one that I have noticed).

Since I have only seen one other person online who has a mic (and he didnt' say a word), there is no way I can work this out on my own.

Jon

eLhabib
1st October 2008, 01:05 PM
Of course you can talk during a race. I wouldn't do it too often though, tends to freeze games!

Lion
1st October 2008, 09:23 PM
while my results when playing with elhabib were terrible, I've since had the opposite experience
I played a bunch of rapier single races, and a couple of tourneys, culminating in a 12 race tour so 5 of us could get the trophy
We were chatting with surprising clarity in the lobby between events and on every track throughout the races and tours.
Noone had any freezes, and it made the whole experience a LOT more fun and social
I was playing against 4 american guys (emperor333 and some of his friends) and I am in new zealand, so halfway round the world

eLhabib
1st October 2008, 09:38 PM
I also had some races with acceptable chat quality since, without freezing. I wouldn't call the sound quality 'clear', though...

Lion
1st October 2008, 10:00 PM
no, burnout paradise is still MUCH clearer

Asayyeah
2nd October 2008, 12:43 PM
Could it be dependant from your upload bandwidth ? the more you got the clearer it is ?

I remember Travis speaking to me or lol teasing me last weekend but we were listening loud music at home and been 8 in a small room that is not the perfect standart to listen carefully what friends are saying.

We also had a couple of freeze while trying to activate the voice chat

Darkdrium777
2nd October 2008, 12:45 PM
Well I had a nice chat with someone else yesterday so I guess it was just some type of bug. It worked fine for both of us, but some people that were trying to chat I couldn't hear as well. It's weird :eek

eLhabib
2nd October 2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know what it is - certainly not my bandwith. I've tried talking to a friend in HD and it was very choppy - someone I know from Xbox Live also, and there the speech quality is perfect. Anyway, I hope it gets sorted soon!

T_Scarface_M
2nd October 2008, 02:23 PM
When I used it yesterday, I turned chat on with the button game froze as i was crossoing finish line. Next thing I know the game is back on and I finish last. LMAO, couldnt believe it. :mad:

leungbok
8th October 2008, 09:25 PM
Do the playstation eye have good performances with wipeout HD's voice chat ? when i use it (and friends have the same problem) the sound works very badly. Sometime's it don't even works. So, it's an obligation to buy a more sophisticated headset, or not ?

Asymeel
8th October 2008, 11:36 PM
I bought a small nokia ear phone and nobody seem to hear me clearly.
It looks like voice volume it too low.
Isn't there any option to increase voice volume level on HD or PS3 dashboard for bluetooth peripherals ?

Wip3ou7
9th October 2008, 12:48 AM
Let's see how this works with the new official ps3 headset that comes out on the 15th...

Pressing the mic button during a race freezes me for over 10 seconds roughly 50% of the time I try it.

G'Kyl
11th October 2008, 07:29 AM
You'd think Sony would make a standard code or something along those lines to allow all voice chat in all PS3 games to work the same http://images.pesfan.com/smilies/confused.gif

You wouldn't, unfortunately. In Sony's network, it's been more like "every developer for himself" instead of building easy-to-use development tools. I wouldn't care if it didn't show. :(

And make a better connected community all over. Paying for it seems stupid at first but when you see how good it works on 360 and how bad it works in ps3, then you realize its totally worth the money.

Abso-effin-lutely! Lets see in which way Home makes the experience any better. So far, Microsoft understands online SO much better than Sony. :|

Which brings me to another point. I wonder why SL didn't include an option to invite friends into an open game? I wonder if it's due to similar obstacles like the ones that prevent coherent voice chat throughout all PS3 games.

Ben

mdhay
11th October 2008, 11:20 AM
I bought a small nokia ear phone and nobody seem to hear me clearly.
It looks like voice volume it too low.
Isn't there any option to increase voice volume level on HD or PS3 dashboard for bluetooth peripherals ?

Go to accesory settings.

Connect to headset.
Change "Mic. Level" to over 3.

Mad-Ice
12th October 2008, 05:58 PM
There were a few wipers with voice chat yesterday and I couldn't hear more then half of it. If this is fixed I will be buying a headset too.

Frances_Penfold
14th October 2008, 07:34 PM
Check this out-- apparently the new PS3 firmware will allow a "high-quality" mode for headsets, which "delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat."

Maybe this will fix the voicechat issues? All I know is that I have been unable to interpret ANYTHING anybody has spoken to me while playing Wipeout HD (granted I don't have my own headset and I am hearing the words spoken via my TV speakers, which is clearly not an optimal situation.)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/13/firmware-updates-ps3-v250-psp-v500/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338699

crawdad62
15th October 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm exactly like Frances. I've never understood anything. And like Frances I'm not using a headset, just listening within the game. Well I guess I've been able to glean a couple of words out of a sentence here and there.

I just got the SOCOM bundle (really just to get the headset since my kid uses it in Burnout) and the instructions state pairing through USB need the 2.5 firmware so hopefully it'll come sooner than later. I'd like to use it in Wipeout but at this point there doesn't really seem to be a need since as far as I can tell it's not useable to any great degree.

Nadia Elenova
15th October 2008, 08:06 AM
Well I'm using headset and it's not better. I hope that the new firmware could fix this, I'm tired of the message input window :D

Frances_Penfold
15th October 2008, 04:25 PM
Home for lunch and am downloading the new PS3 firmware now. Supposedly this will enable higher quality voice chat, here's hoping!

Darkdrium777
16th October 2008, 02:26 AM
Only for the official headset.

Axel
16th October 2008, 07:57 AM
Only for the official headset? What a scam, sorry. This is over pathetic TBH.

Amon
16th October 2008, 03:38 PM
Well, at least on the ps3 you can still use a not official one, like mouse and keyboard. Considering what happens on other consoles, to me the sony stance on the ps3 peripherals seems quite "open".

zerojay
16th October 2008, 04:08 PM
Guys, you can't really complain if you can't understand voice chat because you don't have a headset... that's kind of what it's there for. If the voice chat is that important, turn down the volume of the music and sound effects and you should be able to hear VOIP better.

And yes, HQ mode makes a big difference. Other people with the new headset sound so much clearer. Instead of sounding like you're on Ventrilo, you sound much more like you're standing in front of the other person.