PDA

View Full Version : Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

SaturnReturn
16th May 2010, 10:30 PM
You can get it by eliminating yourself right at the end of a race though. Approach the finish with in 1st low shield and scrape the wall over the line to blow yourself up. It's pretty cheap but if someone desperately wanted to get it they could do it that way.

someguy789
17th May 2010, 03:16 PM
thanks I have it now I just joined a race on venom against some noob and did loads of rolls till I was on 0% sheild then just crashed into a wall it spawned me back infront of him anyway
now I just need 4 more badges to get all of them :D

yeldar2097
18th May 2010, 05:24 AM
Come Back King badge....
A damm hard badge to get if your racing against people at the same or better skill level as you.

It's near impossible to get under any circumstances. Even if you get eliminated more than once and win the race, the game will almost certainly give you one of the more 'valuable' badges such as: Speed Pad Hunter, Successful Pacifist, Time To Spare etc....

Comeback King should be rated higher IMO, it's harder to pull off than hitting speed pads or not shooting :nod

someguy789
18th May 2010, 04:07 PM
yeah I had to do it twice
first time I got "time to spare" instead...

F.E.I.S.A.R
22nd May 2010, 04:36 PM
I don't know if this was discussed before,but what happened to the Entertainment Confinement Systems cage that protected the track surroundings in Pulse? Done away with in favour of shortcuts?

KIGO1987
22nd May 2010, 04:54 PM
Think it got removed altogether in HD.

Compare the flatline flyer br spot on Moa Therma. On WOHD you can stroll a far wack of the track before your ship resets itself. On Pulse if you stroll too far from the track in the same spot. You hit that invisible track shield thingy (Entertainment Confinement Systems cage) which isnt around on WOHD.

someguy789
22nd May 2010, 05:07 PM
It's quite anoying that it's not there sometimes mostly on phantom when you get rammed then go over the wall and fall off

SaturnReturn
22nd May 2010, 09:49 PM
Really? That's one of the main things I don't like about Pulse. To overcome the natural constraints of gravity and then apply artificial ones seems like a huge disappointment. It's sometimes hard to stay on the track with lots of other ships around, or after a tricky barrel roll, but that's part of the game, IMO.

ACE-FLO
22nd May 2010, 10:30 PM
Well put SR, :+, that's another reason why I now prefer HD FURY over Pulse... though Pulse is still a helluvan excellent game - especially for one made on a portable system.

KIGO1987
23rd May 2010, 06:22 AM
Pulse was and still somewhat is great. It still has an advantage over HD, more and better tracks. Some more of those tracks should of made it into HD. Tracks like Vertica, Platnium Rush, De Konstruct, and Gemini Dam should of made it into HD as well

Here is a perfect example over the game dynamics of Pulse vs. WOHD. This is a video of French man Leungbok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpdAsybYuEU

someguy789
23rd May 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm glad it's not there most of the time I'm just saying it gets annoying sometimes

Mateo
10th June 2010, 08:34 PM
Wipeout HD got a new update (don't know when it was released, i'm not racing often these days), I think it was version 2.20. Does anybody know what has been improved, in the ingame-description there are still only the improvements of version 2.10.

yeldar2097
10th June 2010, 08:48 PM
I think it's the update for the 3D wotsit.

DreamyElf
11th June 2010, 12:17 PM
yeah the 2.20 update its for the 3D.
so unless you belong to the 0.10 %(hypothetical number) of people who own a 3D TV you won"t see any differences! :)

Mateo
11th June 2010, 10:43 PM
Ah okay, thanks. It had only a size of 9MB, I thought the 3D update would have more...;)

ONlock
13th June 2010, 04:50 AM
Look like the national flags are back.. Or were they always there before, but I didn't notice?

yeldar2097
13th June 2010, 08:15 AM
National flags were always there. Noticed something else about the patch: the ordering of the badges in the 'badges' section has changed massively :nod

KamatsuKyoto
13th June 2010, 03:49 PM
Any news about a new pack with more tracks and ships?

rdmx
13th June 2010, 05:20 PM
Studio Liverpool had massive staff cuts so I wouldn't anticipate an expansion pack.

yeldar2097
29th June 2010, 12:44 PM
Since the update I noticed that with 2 player Single Races you can choose "AI Difficulty - None"

Is that a new thing or not? I swear I've never been able to turn off the AI before now...

OBH
29th June 2010, 03:11 PM
Always been there mate. It removes the AI ships completely so you can have a head to head race.

Also improves the frame rate drastically.

tug_14
1st July 2010, 11:26 AM
online seem to be off ...
same for u ?

yeldar2097
12th July 2010, 02:39 PM
Why (when logged in as yeldar2097) was my name showing as 'Tobotius' during/after races? o_O

OBH
12th July 2010, 02:50 PM
no idea, remember when my name was saying problemsolver? :) even when racing him, kgb was spinning out once cos there were two problemsolvers in his race!!

couldnt tell you exact reason behind it, but since my ps3 was formatted a loooong time ago it hasnt happened since.

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 03:37 PM
I remember this buggy thing that happen last year when two of the same names appear. Was told by a few people there where a couple of KIGO1987's in a room. I was like wtf, going to have to hunt down these clones that use my tag. Just a bug, seems like it is coming back again.

Darkdrium777
15th July 2010, 03:20 AM
I've always wondered, but are boost starts in split screen mode WipEout HD absolutely impossible? I've never done a single one.
Quoting myself.

yeldar2097
15th July 2010, 03:22 AM
Likewise, never ever managed it.

amplificated
15th July 2010, 06:22 PM
I had to test it out myself to see what was going on, and couldn't get it happening. I never play split screen so I never noticed before.

Tried going a little early and a little late as well as on time, but out of the 5 or so attempts I tried, nothing worked, with either player 1 or 2.

I never miss a boost start normally so I'm guessing you either just can't, or the timing required needs to be incredibly precise.
Since the game is running at 30fps, it could be something to do with that instead of the typical 60.

KIGO1987
15th July 2010, 06:37 PM
multiplayer on WOHD feels more like 15-20fps. Sick inducing. Fusion has a better frame rate than HD in multiplayer, and where going back to 2001!

Aeroracer
15th July 2010, 07:59 PM
turbo in split screen has never worked for me or anyone i have played with...
split screen mode basically is total crap...like kigo says it does make you feel sick with all the jerkiness and low frame rate..

Connavar
16th July 2010, 11:20 PM
btw, Fusion is 60fps

yeldar2097
17th July 2010, 01:29 PM
What does it mean when using the W3O HUD during a race and some people's names are in dark grey instead of white? Just saw it on andybob's screen and wondering what was goin on.

Darkdrium777
17th July 2010, 03:57 PM
Nope, that happens with the WipEout HD HUD too and I still don't know what it means.
Perhaps that they are ghosting (in ghost form and not solid form) ?

yeldar2097
17th July 2010, 04:11 PM
Nah I looked out for ghosting and it didn't seem to correlate in any way. Hmmm

mdhay
17th July 2010, 07:52 PM
maybe it menas that they're getting hit by something or lagging?

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 03:26 AM
Has anybody else noticed that in Time Trial, if you leave your ship for a while and your ghost finishes the 'race', eventually the ghost will start again: I left my PS3 on running a Time Trial for about an hour (unpaused), when I came back I saw my ship zoom past me. Noticed it again about 20 minutes later.

KIGO1987
23rd July 2010, 11:18 AM
I think there is a 9:59minute reset on those ghosts. so every ten minutes the ghost starts again regardless of where you are located or stopped on the track.

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 01:17 PM
Ahh very clever kigo, never though about that.

I also realised afterwards that as a result of this my ghost became bugged and was 0.2 slower than it should have been. Beat it by a ship's length and still didn't beat my record.

Moral of the story: Don't leave Wipeout HD unpaused for more than 10 minutes in SL/TT ;)

amplificated
23rd July 2010, 02:23 PM
I've had bugs affect my ghosts as well, though they just seem to have happened on their own. Sometimes it's like the data just decides to corrupt itself and then get replaced after every lap, and sometimes I just start a new race and it thinks the ghost data is basically corrupted and gets re-written.

Only happened a handful of times, luckily; though one of my WR's ghosts got screwed and while the ghost is still a WR, it's not the WR :(

Danterich
23rd July 2010, 04:16 PM
WEIRD:
was online for hours, hosted a phantom room, i used Harimau, but it felt like Mirage, with the mirage sound!! anyone else experienced this ?
I better let my PS3 sleep 4 a while...
+ i was in a phantom room with zoners, and chattin...suddenly..i think twice for few secs, a girls voice could be heard, loud and clear:eek

Kryowing
23rd July 2010, 09:15 PM
WEIRD:
was online for hours, hosted a phantom room, i used Harimau, but it felt like Mirage, with the mirage sound!! anyone else experienced this ?
+ i was in a phantom room with zoners, and chattin...suddenly..i think twice for few secs, a girls voice could be heard, loud and clear:eek
Yeah, for some reason, i was using icaras and the i heard auricom sound. Even weirder, when i finished the race, my team popped to auricom and i got loyalty points for them too... First glitch i've ever seen on wipeout.

Dark_Phantom_89
23rd July 2010, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever encountered your PSN name not showing up correctly during a race? I've been "reach-big7" twice before :lol

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, OBH was ProblemSolver for a while (at the same time that PS was in the room :lol) and I was Tobotius for a while as well.

Weird stuff o_O

blackwiggle
24th July 2010, 01:03 AM
WEIRD:

I posted about this different craft handling happening to me about a year ago, it was basically dismissed by everyone and I was probably thought crazy because it wasn't happening to anybody else.
Finally I feel vindicated now somebody else has had this happen to them.
I was using AG Systems but my craft was handling like Triakis or Icuras.

Maybe the girls voice is the ghost of "Curly", she feels missed and wants her old job back.

A bit of history for new Wipeout players, CURLY, as she was nicknamed, was the girl that used to say 3,2,1 GO! in wipeouts 2097,WO3 & WO3SE

USBAdapter
24th July 2010, 01:05 AM
heyy Guys maybe you answered questions like this in the last 105 pages *-* , but dont want to read all.

So my Question is what tha hell im doin wrong, i wanna go for Platin trophy Wipeout HD buuut im goin crazy on Campaign its not possible for me to win races on Hard difficulty dunno why i just fail aaaaaaall the time. Zone races and time races dont be so hard, so are there some tricks ingame? "uplift" and "warped" are done on hard difficulty but the rest is f***, dunno what to do could it be im just not having enough skill for that game? dont hope so -.-.

:paperbag:paperbag:paperbag:paperbag

SaturnReturn
24th July 2010, 01:42 AM
I posted about this different craft handling happening to me about a year ago, it was basically dismissed by everyone and I was probably thought crazy because it wasn't happening to anybody else.

I think I made a post somewhere saying something similar. I know I've definitely felt ships feeling completely wrong in the past. You're definitely not crazy...

#You are not alone
#I am here with you
#Though we're far apart
#You're always in my heart (ok, not so much that line)
#You are not alone

:P

@USBAdapter - try a search and you'll get a lot of results for whole threads of tips. Try the trophy help thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5286) and zone thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6501) for starters.

blackwiggle
24th July 2010, 01:56 AM
Racing against the Elite AI is a PITA even for the most hardened WO pilot.
To get good enough to beat Elite and the game generally you need to master a few things, there are NO short cuts.

1] Practice the tracks in Speed Lap or Time Trial until you can nearly do them blindfolded, knowing the tracks and timing your control inputs is the No1 thing regardless of anything else.
Learn the art of side shifting, and when best to use it.
2] Try either adjusting the sensitivity of the default control settings [air brakes adjustment makes a HUGE difference] or remap some of the controls then adjust, some people use R1L instead of R2L2 for air brakes for example, do a search or just go back a few pages, there are specific threads about this you NEED to read.
3] In Racebox, if going against the Elite for any particular trophy [Arcade Perfect for example], you can choose to race with weapons off and still get the trophy.
4] In Campaign it is basically perseverance that will beat the Elite, they are around 8% faster than you, but they don't do barrel rolls, so this is you way to beat them, even then it takes luck as well, it can be a total PITA, but when you do beat them it like "In your Face!!!!"
Plus selecting the right craft for the track, you will find that you will only get so far by using the same craft, so look at the craft stats and choose accordingly.
High thrust craft for Sebenco for example.

Just go back through the pages in the HD section, there are tons of tips, and look at some of the videos of some of the barrel Roll experts, you wouldn't believe the places people have found that you can do this [it was around 200 last time I counted], some are dependent on what speed you are traveling.

Woopzilla
24th July 2010, 08:32 AM
A bit of history for new Wipeout players, CURLY, as she was nicknamed, was the girl that used to say 3,2,1 GO! in wipeouts 2097,WO3 & WO3SE

She had a mighty deep voice back then. :eek

@USBAdapter: The above tips are pretty much all you need. Though you can also check out youtube videos:

Darkdrium777 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkdrium777) has a ton of vs AI races uploaded that could help you figure out how to use weapons (you should mostly be absorbing to do more and more barrel rolls).

I also have a few vs AI races upload on my account Woopzilla (http://www.youtube.com/user/Woopzilla).

You might have to use the search function box on the right and type 'Elite' to get the videos... They've been flooded out the way by my online race videos. :P

Darkdrium777
24th July 2010, 08:49 AM
I'd like to add on the weapons use:

If you find that you cannot use your current item in the next five to ten seconds, absorb it except if it is a turbo, which you should always use in the most appropriate spot (There is always at least one on each track.)

And while you can watch my videos against the Elite AI, I strongly recommend you watch the tutorials by Hellfire (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6308).

ProblemSolver
24th July 2010, 08:57 AM
...I better let my PS3 sleep 4 a while...
Better you go to sleep for a while. :g

USBAdapter
24th July 2010, 01:09 PM
all right thanks m8 i go for a try ;), sooo when i get teh platin trophy i will tell you guys^^ hope it takes not so long time.

Nice tips

:D:D:D:D:D

F.E.I.S.A.R
24th July 2010, 03:24 PM
I wonder...
I was playing online before I typed this. When I chose a race to play,for some strange reason,ALL ships had the lock sign on them...however,I chose my ship too fast to even marvel at this mini-glitch...

Woopzilla
24th July 2010, 04:06 PM
Yea, you see it a lot when trying to do the Syncopia glitch in TT or SL. I've also seen it happen online a bit, but everything fixes itself straight away.

Danterich
24th July 2010, 04:14 PM
Better you go to sleep for a while. :g

Yes, yes, master! Me nooby flying for hours while testing close view, countless boost+respawns and weirdo steering SHAAME:redface:
I take a break then , That should solve this problem, since i´m not like yel:robot

Danterich
25th July 2010, 05:02 AM
sorry 4 doublepost

[QUOTE=blackwiggle;178271 Maybe the girls voice is the ghost of "Curly", she feels missed and wants her old job back.]
lol blackwiggle, that must be it

USBAdapter
26th July 2010, 05:47 PM
do i have to win a race with any HUD Style on any ship or just 1 ship? cause i did with 1 ship but the trophy didnt pop.

and at the trophy airbraker i had done it on the map Syncopia from the Fury add on, i reached zone 51 but the trophy didnt pop, too.

whats wrong there >.< maybe my game is full of bugs? :O but i got 71% of ll trophies so i dont think there are bugs.

blackwiggle
27th July 2010, 01:31 AM
There are no Trophy bugs in HD or Fury, if you do the challenges properly you get the trophies.
Usually people mess up and not realize.

Airbreaker - Make sure your stick and D-Pad is centered before you start, otherwise the game will consider you have steered, all it takes is one tiny knock of your stick/D-Pad and you won't get it.

The HUD's - all you have to do is unlock and USE all THREE of the HUDS's, you only have to do this once,.
I don't think it matters which race mode you use, try it in Campaign, it would have to work in that.

Darkdrium777
27th July 2010, 09:06 PM
Airbreaker you must also make sure any motion sensor is disabled.

yeldar2097
28th July 2010, 03:45 PM
Just a quick question: I know lots of people's records are disappearing (due to inactivity) so I was wondering if anyone still has Larikun on their friends list? All his records are still there and he went missing donkey's years ago.
I just came across his name while trawling through all the bullshit scores on Anulpha Pass and thought it strange that he was still there. Maybe there are others that have survived the chop? :P

blackwiggle
29th July 2010, 04:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw his name up there, not sure if it disappeared then return though.
Larikun said he was basically giving HD away after it had been out for 6 months, hasn't been seen since, maybe he finally got the FURY pack, so when he has played that his records reappeared.
But then would his original times still be there, or are these new improved ones?
Pity the record times don't have a date where they were achieved.

The only other name I can sort of remember who had a stranglehold of the record tables when HD first came out was AH-Quadzilla or something like that.

He [or she?] was so far in front of everybody else early on [average of 4 sec per track] that there was thoughts that a cheat had been found.

graeble
15th August 2010, 11:55 PM
anybody playing wohd in three dimensions yet? if so...
how does it look?

blackwiggle
16th August 2010, 12:29 AM
I tried it a few months back, it's OK at Venom & Flash speeds.
In 3D the other craft can seem like cardboard cutout's/pop-up book sort of effect [all the PS3 3D games look like that IMHO], but the frame rate is halved to 30fps which is the real problem, that frame rate drop makes the game seem jerky compared to the smoothness of HD normally.
I play in cockpit view, so what I experienced might be different to somebody who plays in near or far view, and apparently everybody see's 3D differently, some not at all.

It's a novelty, but I don't think you could do any long sessions of more than 1-1.5 hours playing HD in 3D without getting a headache :dizzy:blarg

mikrucio
20th August 2010, 11:05 AM
How to talk to people in game rooms?
seems to me like SL should of put some text box or something in the rooms
to fill some of that white space! so we can talk to each other.

Unless im missing a secret function?

DreamyElf
20th August 2010, 11:56 AM
you can create a chat room and invite other pilots or join another pilot's chat.

blackwiggle
20th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the Avalon Lounge chat room can be hilarious when in full flight :D

Nutcase:259
4th September 2010, 01:40 PM
If say i get hit by a bomb or other weapon is there anyway way or trick i can use to stop my self grinding to a complete hault. like tapping X mentally?
failing that...
anyway to get those pesky icarus flys from buzzing round my ship:g

Chet_BG
4th September 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure a sideshift helps you "regain consciousness" faster. Sometimes you hit a wall and take even more damage, though...

4th September 2010, 02:11 PM
thanks thats Interesting. i shall test this out now :g

Dark_Phantom_89
4th September 2010, 02:44 PM
A gentle sideshift or autopilot will help you regain your speed faster.

Chet_BG
4th September 2010, 02:55 PM
When I saw "gentle sideshift" I remembered I have a question.
Can you control how much your craft moves when performing a sideshift? And if you do, how?

Dark_Phantom_89
4th September 2010, 03:16 PM
Generally no, however there have been times when I have sideshifted more/less than normal, so I'm not too sure on that one.

For example, when I was hit by a quake on Sol 2, I sideshifted to regain speed faster and literally shifted across the entire width of the track, whereas when I've been hit on Vineta K, my sideshift has hardly moved me.

amplificated
4th September 2010, 03:27 PM
tbh I think it'll only sort of help if you position your ship sideways before you sideshift. It's too often you just end up ramming yourself into a wall which prevents you from getting back to speed a microsecond faster.

I think the faster your ship is going, the smaller the amount of movement sideways there is - I think the ss is meant to move your ship a specific distance, not a specific length sideways. The ss will produce a momentary boost to either side, but cuts out after your ship has covered the bonus distance provided. Thus, when you're travelling at faster speeds you'll cover distance more quickly - in phantom most of the distance is spent while travelling forward rather than sideways, and when you're stationary, a sideshift will take you further than you're used to. There's no other way to "control" your sideshifts other than being familiar with how much you're going to move at the various speeds, and locations on the track. That's how it seems to be for me, anyway.

I don't think the recovery time from taking damage is sped up at all by a sideshift.

Chet_BG
4th September 2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for making that clear. I wasn't very sure about the ss after being hit, too. I even stopped using it a while ago, because of the wall hitting after it ;)

SaturnReturn
4th September 2010, 05:49 PM
I used to try doing that sideshift thing sometimes, but after sideshifting off the edge of Sol2 multiple times I gave up on it.:mad: But then I turned my airbrake sensitivity up (from 10% to 70%) and it seems to offer more subtle and controllable sideshifts.

Woopzilla
4th September 2010, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just physics. If you have an object moving forward and apply a smaller force to the right, the resultant force will be diagonally to the right... your ship won't travel to the right very far.

After a quake/missile/rocket hit you're ship has very little forward thrust, therefore the sudden SS boost you gain will have a bigger effect going sideways. That's why you shift the entire length of the track when you're near stationary.

KGB
4th September 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm glad a few of you say that it doesn't work as I've always thought it was just the way I was doing it. There's been many a time when I have tried to get going again by SS only for it not to register straight away......then I have SS the other way only to find they both register and I slam into both walls. The problem is I still do it now, will I ever learn :frown:.

4th September 2010, 06:12 PM
i cant do it either, and its good to see im in good company, and its not just me being a knob :lol

another sideshift question? anyone know howlong you have to wait before you can side shift again. i can never do them in a row

amplificated
4th September 2010, 06:16 PM
@ Nutcase:
From my experience the timing is always the same and I'd say it's about 1.5 seconds, but I haven't done any precise measurements. It may not sound like much, but in a racing game it's a very long time.

@ KGB:
I still do it from time to time in the hope that it magically turns out just right somehow, and it's probably not the biggest loss in the world unless you ss off the track and have to respawn like what Saturn mentioned... worst feeling in a race ever >=(

OBH
14th September 2010, 09:12 AM
any idea how long it takes before your records vanish from the tables?

id hate to be one of the pilots who fades away into the unknown :(

SaturnReturn
14th September 2010, 10:36 PM
If you can find the post where someone mentions ProblemSolver's Zone records disappearing (might be in the Zone thread somewhere), and then check how long PS's not been online for, then that would give you some idea. But someone else is bound to know better. I think it's definitely more than 3 months - possibly getting on for 5 or 6 months. Luxoflux logged onto his second account (which he had because his original one was one of those that got blocked that time) and said his records had vanished, but that they came back once he did a race on the track, I think. Maybe send him a PSN message to ask?

16th September 2010, 04:26 PM
ive been wondering this for a while...
is the ship ment to move slightly of its own accord when your on a banking or something like that. eg say im on a slight incline, my ship will start to veer in that direction.

is it my controller or the game?

because my brother likes to play fifa online, he also likes to throw massive tantrums whilst playing fifa online and throw the controllers around which seems to have damaged the triggers a bit.
still at least its funny to watch :g

so is it the game or should i start hiding the remaining working controllers?

SaturnReturn
16th September 2010, 05:16 PM
I think it's the game. It happens to me too. It's a strange thing to happen in some ways though, considering they're anti-gravity ships. I would have thought they'd be able to negate the effect of a slight incline.

Darkdrium777
16th September 2010, 05:22 PM
They're made to stay at a certain height above the track. If the track is not flat, they will slowly fall down the slope because the anti-gravity engine is directed at the track and not at the core of the Earth.

Jav
17th September 2010, 12:29 AM
Yeap. You get that on the Fury tracks mostly.

17th September 2010, 11:09 AM
ok good. its just that i thought it was wierd for the same reasons as SaturnReturn, seeing as there anti gravity ships. but then if there ment to be kept a certain distance off the ground then it would make sense.

thx:g

OBH
13th October 2010, 09:48 AM
ages and ages ago, someone posted a link to a few wipeout posters they had created, that consisted of the ship, a pilot, and logo in the background. They were very good!

Been searching the forum for them, and for the life of me cannot find them!! any ideas anyone???

blackwiggle
13th October 2010, 01:16 PM
Sounds like Kanars posters for team France or Avalon

OBH
13th October 2010, 01:57 PM
Was real high quality artwork. Best one was triakis one with a military pilot looking dude..... infact thinking about it I swear the Pirahna one was a chick pilot, so scratch that, shes better :)

kanar
13th October 2010, 02:10 PM
here! http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138180&highlight=artwork#post138180

Ahh Blakwiggle lol, I would like to be as gifted as this man.

OBH
13th October 2010, 06:27 PM
thats the one!!! nice one! :beer

DreamyElf
17th October 2010, 06:12 PM
i was wondering if anyone know something about this:
i improved some of my recs a little the other day but some of the times didn't update on the leaderboards.
i can see them im my top5 page but not on the global rankings...
i know sometimes it take some hours to update but days?
anyone know something?
thx in advance :)

Jav
17th October 2010, 09:25 PM
Were you logged in at the time?
Did you finish the session properly?

All the basic questions but there can't be more to it than that...

DreamyElf
18th October 2010, 07:59 AM
yeah i was online and finished the sessions.
anyway, forget it, i think i was just unlucky...

SaturnReturn
18th October 2010, 09:54 PM
It'll probably show up eventually. They usually do, even after a good while sometimes.

Jav
19th October 2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah, should do.

Laeke
23rd October 2010, 04:00 PM
any idea how long it takes before your records vanish from the tables?

id hate to be one of the pilots who fades away into the unknown :(

Month old question, but may have valuable input.

I just launched back WO after a several months break (not sure how long exactly, longer than a year perhaps, but I am not sure whether or not I may have launched the game inbetween). Please note that I deleted my save as well.

Most of my previous times seems to be there, although as said before, they would not pop up at first (maybe you have to race a specific track to re-activate it?), but there's definitely some old times there, I would hazard a 75% guess EDIT: Maybe 75% is a tad too optimistic.

Some are missing though, pretty sure of it now: I think my former best Venom Anulpha SL, which may have been older than the rest, for one.

Online LB have always been domewhat edgy on WO (updates somewhat variable for instance) so it is difficult to be sure if they were deleted by accident or "decayed" beyond conservation date: I would say that it may be possible that times are not supposed to be deleted at all. At the very least expect a 6 months-1 year persistance, which is good news.

25th October 2010, 09:22 PM
Does doing barrel rolls on zone give you more points or am i wasting my time. i got to zone 114 attempting to do 2 BR's a lap thinking it gives more points only to hear from someone it doesn't?:cold
please tell me i havnt been wasting my time and health points furiously waggling the analogue stick for no reason, please!?:brickwall

Colonel
25th October 2010, 09:38 PM
Yes, 1000 points per barrel roll for 15% energy. Although if you don't pull one off properly you still lose the energy but don't get the points (always happens to me at the first jump on Vineta K :frown:)

You get 10% back for a perfect zone.

25th October 2010, 10:38 PM
Phew, i thought id made things a whole lot harder for no reason, ahhhhh :D

Colonel
26th October 2010, 12:33 AM
It's a pain really, I tend to prefer the tracks where BRs aren't an issue, that way the only factors are speed pads, perfect laps and perfect zones. The Vineta K thing really pisses me off, I'll fluke a BR every few laps but every time I miss it, it just feels like points going down the drain.

multibodydynamics
26th October 2010, 10:54 AM
A perfect lap gives you 2000 points.

Jav
26th October 2010, 12:24 PM
And a BR costs 15 energy, not 15%. Otherwise you could BR forever :p

Same with a perfect zone. 10 points, not 10%.

Colonel
26th October 2010, 02:29 PM
Bit pedantic, I'm sure nutcase knew what I meant.

mikrucio
26th October 2010, 09:04 PM
why does the mirage ship look so crap?

QjonPL
26th October 2010, 09:07 PM
Because it's demotivating the opponent :)

26th October 2010, 09:10 PM
Points, percentages, same thing?

Mikrucio: Lol who knows, with a name like mirage u'd think it might be subtle, but instead it looks like a praying mantis with a fat ass

Jav
26th October 2010, 09:52 PM
Bit pedantic, I'm sure nutcase knew what I meant.I know you know how it works, and I wasn't trying to be pedantic. But see below.

Points, percentages, same thing?I wish! Because if BR's were 15% of your energy at that moment, they would only cost 7,5 if you were at 50 energy, and only 3 if you had 20 energy left! :D Etc.

SaturnReturn
26th October 2010, 09:58 PM
What you refer to as 50 points, everyone else calls 50%. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else refer to 50% at that time being 100% of 50 points, or similar. We all talk of total initial energy. Face it Jav, you're just thinking too far outside the box. Get back in here with the rest of us. :P

26th October 2010, 10:04 PM
hadnt thought about all the percentage malarkey, thats far too much maths for one evening :D

Jav
26th October 2010, 10:16 PM
Ugh, that's not what I mean, but I'll just leave it. :( :p

SaturnReturn
26th October 2010, 10:27 PM
We all know what you mean. I just confused things with a poor and needless explanation.;)

Darkdrium777
26th October 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm fairly sure that the shield calculations go into the decimals (That's why sometimes you can end up with 0 energy on the HUD and still be alive, and scrape a wall and still be alive after o.O)
So the correct scientific way would be to say:
Barrel rolls take 15.00 units of energy (Because I think it goes into two decimal places, but it might be just one I can't remember.)

:p

Woopzilla
26th October 2010, 10:41 PM
The smallest damage I've noticed is probably 0.5. I'm sure the maximum you can ever scrape a wall is twice before losing 1hp... I don't think I've ever managed three scrapes before dropping by 1.

I've seen 2 scrapes = 1hp many times in my uploaded videos, but never any more... or perhaps they're just that much rarer?

mikrucio
26th October 2010, 11:11 PM
All I know is an accidental barrel roll at zone 90 is not ideal... Lol
Not ideal at all

Colonel
27th October 2010, 12:01 AM
No but it always bloody happens doesn't it? Every f_ing time haha

Anyway I'm glad we're all chatting about zone, it really is amazing. :guitar

ProblemSolver
28th October 2010, 06:39 PM
... The Vineta K thing really pisses me off, I'll fluke a BR every few laps but every time I miss it, it just feels like points going down the drain.
If you have issues there, you may perhaps approach the jump
from the right, on low speeds, and / or just pull the craft up a lil.

JJPAP
28th October 2010, 09:08 PM
Okay, this is not the most important question ever, I admit, but I couldn´t help recognizing (this evening) for the first time, hmm, that looking at my friends list - at the PS3 - a lot was playing Wipeout HD, but one was playing Wipeout HD Fury (drr1984, I think it was). Never seen that before ... Wipeout HD Fury ... Hmm.

SaturnReturn
28th October 2010, 09:14 PM
I've only ever seen that for people that own the Blu Ray version. It could be something else in addition, but that's definitely one case.

mikrucio
29th October 2010, 07:39 AM
yes the DISC version of the game (which i have) says that on the status.
even if you have fury with your PSN version it will only say wipeout HD.

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th October 2010, 07:49 AM
Anyone here used Turbo at the small dip on Modesto Heights Reverse only to hit that bulge(the wall on the Mag-Strip,which leads me to another question) and get another opportunity to Barrel Roll?
And the Mag-Strip only affects the track itself and not the wall?

erich123
29th October 2010, 08:57 AM
Why does the ship Br on it's own. Happens very often at sebenco forward,not fun when your energy are 20 and suddenly it's decide to take a roll. :brickwall

AiiRW0LF
29th October 2010, 10:08 AM
I here you erich,it happens to me also sometimes at sebenco forward at phantom speed.
At first jump after start i oversteer left at jump and then try to compensate right in the next corner.
This makes me do b-rolls by accident and often in the most critical moments. :brickwall

Colonel
31st October 2010, 04:39 PM
Sometimes I could swear I barrel roll when I've definitely not done left-right-left or vice versa.

yeldar2097
31st October 2010, 04:53 PM
Well that could be put down to already pressing slightly left/right before you've taken any air. It's pretty much (or at least seems) to be the way in which the BR on the sharp left hander on Sol 2 Reverse works: You need to slam left (+ left airbrake) to make the corner, and to get the BR you simply flick over to the right and back. Something like that at any rate.

Brings me onto something else that I'm sure I've asked before (can't find it in searchy): Is there any way of inducing/preventing a BR when using autopilot? We've all experienced a mystery BR whilst using autopilot, I was wondering what the cause was? Might be something to do with the AI BR system (seldom seen, but they do BR from time to time).

?_?

:g

amplificated
31st October 2010, 05:05 PM
Couldn't readily find anything via search, but has anyone else had trouble with some tracks not working in-game? I've added some mp3's to my playlist, and they get skipped over. They work on the PS3's XMB, but not in WO :(

SaturnReturn
31st October 2010, 05:11 PM
Are they MP3 or some other format?

amplificated
31st October 2010, 05:17 PM
mp3. I don't store my music in any other format

yeldar2097
31st October 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah I get that too. All in the same format and that. Haven't actually tried converting or anything, no idea what it could be. Quite nice for Zone Mode sometimes. You don't get any kind of flashing or anything, just plain colours and that. Very relaxing :nod

amplificated
31st October 2010, 05:33 PM
Hmm, I haven't had minutes of silence, for me the game completely doesn't recognise that there are these tracks in the paylist and I can't even manually select them from the menu

31st October 2010, 07:18 PM
ohhh. i had this too. it just seems to ignore the song and carry on to the next? pretty sure its mp3, or FLAC perhaps. works on XMB so its a bit wierd really? maybe just hates my music taste

Jav
31st October 2010, 07:59 PM
I don't think it has to do with the specific song, it's rather just some weird bug that stops the music from playing. It happens from time to time, and it could be any song.

31st October 2010, 08:06 PM
could it perhaps be the length of the song? just a thought as i know the ps3 doesnt seem to want to copy really long songs (1hour daft punk mega mix FTL :( )

yeldar2097
31st October 2010, 08:42 PM
Well there are two different bugs that I know of.

One is to do with starting an event (either online or offline) and there is no music, only SFX. Happens every so often (more now than ever thanks to bugs and insects).

The other one is simply to do with specific songs not playing. I went through one of my playlists and found that there were at least 10 tracks that NEVER play, even if you select them manually. Game just goes mental and skips song (or doesn't play anything if you make a separate playlist full of bugged songs :D).

Weird eh?

Jav
31st October 2010, 11:27 PM
Ahhh yeah you're right Yeld. I remember that now... I only have it with 1 song, which appears as "corrupted" on my XMB every now and then, but it still plays whenever I press play...

Ah well, still a good 250 other songs left in the playlist :p

amplificated
31st October 2010, 11:41 PM
I think it has to be the way the file was encoded originally, and that source isn't fully compatible with the PS3... I don't have a big playlist but there's about 5 tracks that don't work.

For a media hub, the PS3 doesn't really do a great job of accepting media :( Where's the mkv/flac support!?

Laeke
2nd November 2010, 12:35 PM
could it perhaps be the length of the song? just a thought as i know the ps3 doesnt seem to want to copy really long songs (1hour daft punk mega mix FTL :( )

Really? I have copied several mixes recently, including a 3 hour long Sven Vath one. I will check if it plays OK ingame, but I never had any trouble with the length of files (of course the length itself is maybe not the problem, the size of the file pehaps).

However getting media on the console is tremendously easier ever since I have a "Multimedia Remote HD" or whatever the name is.

EDIT: and yeah the PS3 is kinda picky about encoding :/

amplificated
2nd November 2010, 12:57 PM
I have a couple of 9+ minute tracks and they have worked fine for me

Storm_FF
2nd November 2010, 01:08 PM
Why I can not see any national flag in my online lobbies, even if everyone I know has got them? :brickwall Someone says that is a problem of my screen, that's nor HD ready nor fullHD but... I think this's a nonsense response :?

Colonel
2nd November 2010, 02:31 PM
Storm, my friend sgt_getfked has the same problem on his non-hd telly. You're right though it does sound silly.

KGB
2nd November 2010, 02:49 PM
As far as I know you can not see the flags on a SD TV, I don't think you can even see any of the track names either, but I could be wrong on that bit.

Storm_FF
3rd November 2010, 02:03 PM
As far as I know you can not see the flags on a SD TV, I don't think you can even see any of the track names either, but I could be wrong on that bit.

I don't remember this... I think no, but I'm not totally sure. Hey, wait a moment! Do you mean in change track screen or in lobby screen? I lobby I don't see anything (even ranks are sooooo little :(), but in track selection... I must check next time
but flags disappearing is a pain in the ass! Each time I want to know where a good player comes from I've to check encounter players menù and check "spoken language"... american and british pilots looked the same at first :?

After all it's little my fault... who sane would play wipeout HD on a no-HD TV? Studio Liverpool, in any cases, I'm angry with you :mad:

Woopzilla
3rd November 2010, 03:30 PM
It's not the TV that really matters... if you select any output in the PS3 options that isn't HDMI, you won't see the flags.

Also, it's correct that you can't see any writing in the lobby screen under the icons (weapons, track, pilot assist, etc). I play most Avalons in SD to record, so I see it that way a lot.

zero3growlithe
3rd November 2010, 07:20 PM
Erm, this question is bothering me from beginning of my journey in wipeout... is there anyone else using motion sensor *(pitch and sterring) to sterr your craft?
(i've read somewhere that racing using sixaxis is almost impossible on phantom [that is wrong] :cowboy)

R3BU5ER
4th November 2010, 08:29 PM
I know some guys use motion sensor for pitching. Steering seems odd. I don't use any, I use a sixaxis now and I almost only play phantom. And don't use any motion sensor because I just can't sit playing wipeout phantom like some sort of statue :hyper But I think everyone prefers something else..

mic-dk
5th November 2010, 11:34 AM
Motion sensor for pitch is made of win and I find that I instinctively pitches the controller anyhow in the direction I need the pitch. You know, pointing it desperately towards the floor in an attempt to not get too much air on Sebenco. My wife is very entertained at least :lol

I'll never get used to it for steering though.

zero3growlithe
5th November 2010, 01:18 PM
You don't know what you lose 8) This is such a fun to race with it:g What is the best begins on phantom where racing is so smooth and challenging (i'll upload an movie made with one camera showing both, TV and hands)

R3BU5ER
5th November 2010, 01:52 PM
Offcourse I've tried it, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe if I go on and change my habits I could improve some of my times. But I also tried to race with l1/l2 buttons where normally using l2/r2 but I just feel comfy with the settings I play for 1,5 years now. And I think my phantom skills are acceptable LOL. So I'm just like....fine with it :) post the video though. Like to see it :)

5th November 2010, 11:13 PM
icky cant imagine actually being good with the motion, i hold the controller at like a 45 to 90 degree angle when i play racing games. feels right. but when i put pitch on and start the race i immediately spear left into the wall, im like "huh?? oh yeah thats right i hold this thing like a spaz:g8) )

Also has any one seen the wierd green an orange flag that appears by sum ppls names? (its a diagonal design with one half green fading into orange, im fairly certain its not a national flag) that an is the swiss flag orange for you or do i suffer from somesort of wipeout related colour blindness?

icarasDragon
6th November 2010, 10:39 AM
That Half transitioning flag maybe because somehow you can't pick up the other player's country?

blackwiggle
6th November 2010, 01:21 PM
The is one pilot here[ name escapes me atm] that does race entirely with motion control [pitch & steering], how he had the patience to master it so he could get good enough compete against fellow elite zone pilots at Phantom speed is beyond me.
Just getting the small bronze trophy was enough to realize steering with motion control wasn't for me.
Hell, I can't even use the analog sticks. :redface::lol

Colonel
6th November 2010, 02:22 PM
That motion control trophy was a pain in the arse. I did Anulpha pass on venom, Novice AI and it took about 20 attempts!

Jav
6th November 2010, 04:32 PM
Took me 3 attempts, was fun shaking the control to get some BRs :p

yeldar2097
6th November 2010, 04:47 PM
So was it just me (and Challenger I think?) who kept the controller flat and just used airbrakes? :P

SaturnReturn
6th November 2010, 04:48 PM
Couldn't remember the guys name but yeldar could. I was thinking subtotal. He used entirely motion control. And as yeldar reminded me, Mr.Rico, or something similar, did too. I had previously thought Mister-Mateo but knew that was wrong.:P

Jav
6th November 2010, 09:29 PM
zero3growlithe? I think

SaturnReturn
6th November 2010, 09:33 PM
It was his question we were answering.;)

zero3growlithe
7th November 2010, 06:12 AM
It's not like that i wanted to master it;) If Studio Liverpool and Sony added such thing like motion sensor to control my ship then i want to use it becouse it's something new. (i like new stuff :pizza and i don't want it to go to waste:hyper)

zero3growlithe
7th November 2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, movie is complete and as i promised i'm posting it :cowboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmmfNeMVl5Q

Jav
7th November 2010, 03:28 PM
Sensational. That Vineta K was friggin good man!

ProblemSolver
8th November 2010, 01:30 PM
... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmmfNeMVl5Q
Wow. Makes we wanna play with Motion Sensor! :):+

zero3growlithe
8th November 2010, 01:43 PM
For best comfort during race (for those who want to race using motion) i suggest setting up sensitivity of motion sensor to 80% <- this is perfect :)

Storm_FF
8th November 2010, 02:40 PM
Effedieffe too played with motion controller and internal view, but only at flash speed. Seeing his vids make me feeling sick when he does a barrel roll :blarg

zero3growlithe
8th November 2010, 02:59 PM
When i first played wipeout i used to use internal view too (i began playing about 4 month ago) but then came Beat Zico Trophy and i couldn't make it so i watched some movies (with WizardPlay <- that's why i've made those movies. To be better than he is:cowboy) and changed to external view. At first it was a bit strange becouse it seemed that ship is late with control but i got used to it. <- scrap of paper from my diary:g

10th November 2010, 10:43 PM
Im Back again with another question.

why are there stars by some of my records and not otheres?
im hoping it doesnt stand for perfect lap else it looks like i need to practice:cold:rock

amplificated
10th November 2010, 10:55 PM
It stands for perfect lap :)

IndoorSnowStorm
19th November 2010, 12:46 AM
Hello! I don't know if this has been asked before, but has anyone else noticed that when in the online lobby, when other players pick Feisar, no two logos are alike? Like one may be more bolded than the other, one may be a lighter shade of blue, etc. I am running the game on an SD T.V. if that helps.

amplificated
19th November 2010, 12:48 AM
def. not the case for me (hd TV, 1080p)

F.E.I.S.A.R
19th November 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm using a HD TV as well.So if two players are using the same ship,the logos are the same.

SaturnReturn
19th November 2010, 08:31 PM
I have noticed different logos, but have noticed a kind of 'bold' effect on one sometimes, like a bold outline. Or sometimes one looks like it's a bit squished/distorted. I usually notice it on AG-Systems though. I play in 720p.

triboy
21st November 2010, 11:55 AM
My friend asked me about rank level. On what basis are calculated points. If it is something like that:
for example
10 rank - 10000pts
11 rank - 12000
12 rank - 14000
?

Sorry if I'm asking about something that already been explained, but can't find.

blackwiggle
21st November 2010, 08:53 PM
It's more of a win/loss ratio, where if you beat or get a higher placing than a higher ranked player you tend to advance quicker, the bigger the difference between the low/high rankings also seems to effect your progress.

If you quit a race your progress will regress a bit, if not stall further progress for a certain amount of races, the amount of races this stall is in effect for again seems dependent on your rank.

The levels themselves progress logarithmically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm

There has been no official explanation from SL of how the ranking works, but from consensus of experience & opinion at the zone we have sort of worked it out.

triboy
21st November 2010, 10:34 PM
So this has nothing to do with loyality points?

After all, it dosn't matter how high is your rank lvl, but he asked ;)

Thx blackwiggle ;)

blackwiggle
21st November 2010, 10:48 PM
The loyalty points are really only a ruse to get you to try out and learn the different handling characteristics of the different craft.
The bait is the loyalty trophy.
Most people just use the corresponding zone craft to boost those points anyway.
loyalty points have nothing to do with your online level

F.E.I.S.A.R
22nd November 2010, 08:47 AM
I wonder about custom soundtrack...
I use custom soundtrack,but for some reason,the first few seconds are ALWAYS cut off! How can I actually solve this problem?

yeldar2097
22nd November 2010, 09:12 AM
I have this too. I think it's because the song 'starts' durin the 3-2-1-GO! countdown but the music doesn't actually kick in until the GO!

Only thing I can think of is to edit your songs (put in a couple of seconds of 'silence') but it's a bit of a pain in the arse if you have massive and/or multiple CSTs going on.

Woopzilla
22nd November 2010, 06:56 PM
The only time I notice a skip in the song is when it continues from another race. (Track Resume: ON)

For some reason I believed it might have had to do with doing a boost start... To test this I restarted a race over and over and kept resetting the song but I couldn't notice any difference (between a boost start and a failed start). If the song plays right from the beginning then it doesn't seem to skip anything. But if the song 'resumes' next race a few seconds will have been skipped, or so it seems.

FilmerFlo
24th November 2010, 08:10 PM
can i somewhere donwload wipeout hd for my pc?i´ve only played pure and pulse yet, but i love seeing hd.since i don´t have enough money to buy a ps3 just for this game a pc version would solve my problem:)

DjM1zw1z
24th November 2010, 08:39 PM
@ FilmerFlo No, There isnt unfortuatly, it would be a good idea but you would need some sorta usb remote for it becuase keyboard woulndnt be a ease of use, Try and put this question in the thread of 'Random Questions what dont need a thread themselves',

Anyway! In the elimination stages of the cup do you kinda work it out with your opponent when you can do it

FilmerFlo
24th November 2010, 09:19 PM
oh sorry, thought i was in that thread:D

blackwiggle
24th November 2010, 10:32 PM
Yes DjM1zw1z you contact each other and set the date/time etc and what 3 selections you both have, once agreed you race then post back here with the results, or PSN Message the person who is in charge of you group and they will have it put on the tournament grid.
Then when the result of the next probable opponent is ready, the same situation applies.

The person in charge of each group should send every pilot the PSN ID of the pilot they should be contacting to sort the details out, there might be a language barrier with some meet up's, I'd have a look at the master group list on page one of the HD cup to see where each pilot is located [will be in brackets next to name], if you have problems conversing contact your groups leader.

FilmerFlo
25th November 2010, 04:47 PM
i´m considering to buy a ps3 just for this game.do you think it´s worth it?is there still a big online community?

Darkdrium777
26th November 2010, 05:07 AM
(Speaks in feminine and sensual tour guide voice)

You are currently standing in the main hall of the WipEoutZone.
To your left, you will find doors that lead to comfortable seating areas specially designed to encourage discussion for each of the WipEout games
To your right, there is a large board where you can sign up for different tournaments for your favorite WipEout game.
Up the stairs is a vast lounge with various possible activities. It is also possible to order drinks and sit down to enjoy your time and have good conversations.
There is also a library on the main floor where you can find any piece of writing related to the games. This area is equipped with small conference rooms if you ever feel the need to suggest ideas openly about the future games in the franchise.
Finally, you will find pertinent announcements on the screen right behind me, as well as an open seating area under the beautiful glass ceiling if you ever wish to talk about something other than WipEout. There is also a suggestion box right next to the main screen.

Welcome to WipEout Zone, the biggest online community for the WipEout games and franchise!

=====

tl;dr (but I hope some read it): this here be the community you are looking for.
Is it big/friendly/competitive/fun enough for you?
If yes, buy the game because financially it's already the best decision you will ever make if you are remotely a fan of WipEout. Of course buy the PS3 first, there are other great titles exclusive to PS3 that you might enjoy.

DjM1zw1z
26th November 2010, 06:23 AM
Hey sorry filmerflo, I kinda messed up my words in the last message, I meant to say keep stuff like that in this thread :|

icarasDragon
26th November 2010, 08:49 AM
(Speaks in feminine and sensual tour guide voice)

You are currently standing in the main hall of the WipEoutZone.
To your left, you will find doors that lead to comfortable seating areas specially designed to encourage discussion for each of the WipEout games
To your right, there is a large board where you can sign up for different tournaments for your favorite WipEout game.
Up the stairs is a vast lounge with various possible activities. It is also possible to order drinks and sit down to enjoy your time and have good conversations.
There is also a library on the main floor where you can find any piece of writing related to the games. This area is equipped with small conference rooms if you ever feel the need to suggest ideas openly about the future games in the franchise.
Finally, you will find pertinent announcements on the screen right behind me, as well as an open seating area under the beautiful glass ceiling if you ever wish to talk about something other than WipEout. There is also a suggestion box right next to the main screen.

Welcome to WipEout Zone, the biggest online community for the WipEout games and franchise!

Heheh, You just gave me a idea to build in Minecraft (http://minecraft.net) :P

F.E.I.S.A.R
26th November 2010, 09:11 AM
There is also a library on the main floor where you can find any piece of writing related to the gamesIs that the Fan Fiction and RPG section? Been wanting to post my fan fiction there,but something controversial is preventing me from doing so.
How often has HD frozen on you?

zero3growlithe
26th November 2010, 11:44 AM
Is weapons during race are really random? It is very frequent that i get boost on every lap and on the same weapon pad. (what a stupid question :))

amplificated
26th November 2010, 12:29 PM
I've been 10 seconds in front and given 2 boosts a lap for 3 laps, and I've been in last and given nothing but autopilots and shields. It's random.

Sometimes you hit a groove of some sort and you can kinda tell that you'll get a certain pickup soon, but that's rare, at least from my experience. I think the games shuffles the pickups like a deck of cards each race, and sometimes you're more likely to get some pickups a % of the time over others.

zero3growlithe
26th November 2010, 09:40 PM
So my cards is: "You get many mines and boombs when you are last and you get the best weapons for shooting contenders ahead of you when you are 1st":g

This scheme is always the same, last = bombs & 1st = rockets:mr-t

btw. does everyone race must begin with an bomb or rocket pointed at me:blarg:P

F.E.I.S.A.R
26th November 2010, 11:01 PM
What I do know is that the weapon and item pickup mechanic isn't screwed up like in WipEout 64.In 64,depending on your position,you got not so good pickups or pickups that would be of help to you.I can't get any distinct pattern when it comes to weapons on races.I just make the best of what's given.

PonyBoy1973
15th December 2010, 05:24 PM
Noob Q, prolly... As I was being schooled in Phantom class, a very curtious pilot sent me an in-game message, thanking me for the race. How do I reply and write new messages to fellow competitors?
cheers,

yeldar2097
15th December 2010, 07:10 PM
You should have a 'reply' button at the bottom of any messages you receive on PSN :)

Flint Fandango
2nd January 2011, 01:38 PM
I don´t think that this question needs a thread of its own:

Just wanted to ask about the "ominous Icaras phenomenon"...

Every time I join an online race, there are various teams at the start. I always use to pilot icaras, but once I enter, all people start to change their teams - to icaras!
What´s the mystery about this? Is icaras such a powerful team? Implies it to be extremely good, if you chose this team? I don´t get it, but I am not a good pilot at all, to be honest.
I find it strange, and I seriously thought about changing the team. It gives me no great pleasure to pilot a team that nearly everybody is piloting, just for some strange reason. :|

DjM1zw1z
2nd January 2011, 01:40 PM
Depending on the speed they will use different ships, like venom and flash they will use icaras because Handling isnt a important aspect and it has full speed. But it seems like that people like the fastest ship even though it doesnt always matter

Flint Fandango
2nd January 2011, 01:45 PM
Hmm, that sounds reasonable. I always wanted to be a member of a special team, but maybe I should still experiment more with others ... who knows?

F.E.I.S.A.R
2nd January 2011, 01:55 PM
Actually,what ship you use should be what you are comfortable with. Herd comformity does not really work due to various skill levels between players.

amplificated
2nd January 2011, 02:07 PM
People think that because the Icaras is the last unlocked ship it must be the best. Just about everyone uses it online. To be fair, it is hands down the fastest speed lap and time trial ship in venom to rapier, and still one of the best on most tracks in phantom.

However, due to luck with the pickups, starting location on the grid, and varying levels of skill, ship choice is rarely relevant online. Unless you're playing weapons off and you're in an 'HD AG-S vs an Icaras in Venom or something...

zero3growlithe
2nd January 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm using AG-Systems, becouse when flying on Phantom behind player that uses Feisar using my Icaras (30% difference in speed) guess what... i don't have any chance to get any closer to him even on straight road, so why taking ship with worse handling and thrust to get nothing in exchange? This "speed" means nothing in game... i think so. Barrel Roll's are easier to make for me, only this:)

DjM1zw1z
2nd January 2011, 05:40 PM
I got a question, Whats the KM/h speed Difference between lets say Feisar HD than Icaras. Because its 30 more but i dont know if speed is a important aspect

Challenger #001
2nd January 2011, 06:05 PM
For those in Venom/Flash rooms complaining about Icari - hello, Piranha?

amplificated
2nd January 2011, 06:05 PM
I just tested the fury ships out and I have nfi how speed works in this game. Fury feisar has a top max speed on a straight of 455; Fury Icaras, 461.

Also, a speed of 70 isn't a percentage of any base speed that all ships use, otherwise the Icaras would be 30% faster in every speed class than the feisar and that would be ridiculous.

@chall:
Nobody cares about the Piranha! :P
Seriously though, it's just a more sluggish and less cool version of the Icaras.

Xpand
2nd January 2011, 06:07 PM
How did the old veterans (Old wipeout series players) feel when they first tried HD?
I have 6 years of background experience on Wipeout, and I play HD for a week so far and I feel terrible... I can't seem to race cleanly on Phantom. I'm always banging into the walls and overturning due to the habit of power sliding the ship in W3O and Pure. Modesto Heights and Metropia (weather reverse or normal) are impossible to me. :frown:

yeldar2097
2nd January 2011, 08:34 PM
I gave up after 3 weeks, I was fed up of the same thing :lol

Came back a few months later when I found WZ :)

SaturnReturn
2nd January 2011, 08:42 PM
I got a question, Whats the KM/h speed Difference between lets say Feisar HD than Icaras. Because its 30 more but i dont know if speed is a important aspect

Darkdrium777 did a load of tests a while back. I think this was one of the things he was testing. Maybe you can ask him if he can dig it up for you, or maybe someone else can. I would but I'm not sure where to start searching, so someone else can probs find it quicker.

Medusa
2nd January 2011, 08:47 PM
I'm finding HD to be a godsend after Pure and Pulse. I find the handling to feel more floaty and it seems to make all the difference. (Ya hear that Colin Berry, I just called you god:redface:)
But, it is definitely nowhere the beautiful sliding of the old games...then again, now there's sideshift. I sideshift the snot out of this game, it seems to make the difference between good laps and wall laps (nevermind fast/slow...).

And Icaras...Phantom feels really slow in HD. I use Icaras because it has the highest thrust of the max speed ships. And also, the engine sound is quite similar to the W3O Icaras sound which makes me all warm and fuzzy with nice memories...
I'm sorry precious AG-SYS, you are just too slow in this game for me. :frown:

SaturnReturn
2nd January 2011, 08:58 PM
I have the same problem. AG-S just feels too sluggish so I don't really have much feeling of speed or momentum in it. If you like AG-S though, the Fury Harimau is very fast and nimble and quite a lot of fun to race with. But Icaras (HD) is prettier.

Xpand
2nd January 2011, 09:30 PM
So I see I'm not the only one to be frustrated beyond reason...
Well, when you see the name Xpand122, that's me banging my stubborn mind into the walls in HD. :g

blackwiggle
3rd January 2011, 12:14 AM
Modesto is just a horrible horrible track, few people seen to like it.
It's just so hard to string any laps together that don't involve at least one pretty major hitting of a wall.

Metropia can be tricky, especially reverse, it's the mag strip that I tend to fall foul at as it lulls you into thinking that it's straight when it's not, so you end up hitting the side walls.

AG-S Fury type is balanced very differently than the HD version, I've tried using it but find that the nose of the Fury version seems to stay higher, like the center of the crafts balance is weighted just slightly more to the rear so it tends to bounce around more, plus it's left to right handling differs, it's like it's balanced on an ice skate V, where the HD version is more of a U.

As for the relative speed tests of the crafts, I think it was Elhabib or Hellfire that did the original ones.
It was something like 7% or 15 kmph difference between Feisar & Icaras, but in the reality of a race this difference means almost nothing, you just have to see people like Wellington86 in his Feisar make mince meat out of opponents to realize this.

R3BU5ER
3rd January 2011, 12:08 PM
Why is it, that when I'm choosing my feisar fury ship (the zone one) in Ã* online lobby, 9 out of 10 times the feisar HD shows up? Can anybody tell me? It's quite annoying.

zero3growlithe
3rd January 2011, 02:09 PM
I was playing Wip3Out, Wipeout Fusion, Wipeout Pure and i didn't have any problem with sterring in "Pulse" nor "HD Fury", best of it is that, when i play a little Wipeout Pure on Phantom, later i'm better in HD... strange isn't it?

FlameCrow
6th January 2011, 05:20 AM
In Ubermall time trial or such, when I boost off the hill to do the super awesome shortcutty thing, I seem to bounce when I land. The time trial is on raiper speed, Harimau ship usually. (Tried with Feisar and got the same thing, though.) Am I doing it wrong? o.O

Either that or I hit the ceiling of the gatelike structure that's in front of you on that jump. (If you know what I mean, if any of that even made sense.)

yeldar2097
6th January 2011, 11:49 AM
It's ok if you bounce, just do another barrel roll if that happens :banzai

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the fastest technique for Rapier Time Trial doesn't involve the shortcut. I'll have a quick check then edit my post accordingly.

Edit: Yeah the boost-shortcut is definitely not the fastest method for Rapier Time Trial (or Flash or Venom for that matter) :)

FlameCrow
7th January 2011, 01:19 AM
Oh. o.o But that shortcut is so fun. :P

And I usually botch the next turn anyway. T.T I'll check YouTube for videos.

amplificated
7th January 2011, 01:55 AM
I think getting to chain 3 br's is a pretty fun trade-off, so not all is lost

yeldar2097
7th January 2011, 02:07 AM
Lol I just sent FlameCrow the video I made you a while back amplificated :P

amplificated
7th January 2011, 02:27 AM
:lol, I knew this scenario was familiar - even down to the Harimau! But I wasn't 100% sure about the methods without referring to the video, it's a bit different to SL and it's been a while

yeldar2097
7th January 2011, 11:55 AM
We all love lag-ramming, it's our favourite. But how about a different kind of lag, do we like him? I don't, he's a **** :brickwall

Since November or so, around 70% of the time I suffer to what is often major online breaking input lag. I think JABBERJAW (and Kyonshi perhaps?) have mentioned this before.
It sounds like a lame excuse for performing badly but quite honestly even if I win a race, that game just isn't enjoyable when this happens.
I don't know what causes it, but try deliberately delaying EVERY controller input (steering, sideshift, BR-input, absorbing, everything) by up to 0.1 seconds and see what happens to your racing.

I've tried 3 different PS3s, each in turn with a 50" Plasma TV, a 42" LCD TV, a 27" LCD Monitor and a random old CRT from a cupboards somewhere. I've tried 3 different controllers (2 DS3, 1 Sixaxis), both wireless and connected via USB. Nothing so far has made a difference.

This has never affected the offline aspect of the game, and sometimes online is lovely, plays just like it should, lag-ramming and everything (which is small-fry compared to this, trust me)....but 7/10 times the game becomes unplayable,
lamentable and impossible to enjoy.

Please help...I like playing online :(

Woopzilla
7th January 2011, 04:31 PM
Ditch the south and come to a place with real internet connections. :D

Have you tried seeing what it's like without being in a chat room?

Those are the only things I can think of...

SaturnReturn
7th January 2011, 07:34 PM
I still wonder if I get this. I can do well offline but suck so badly online. I know that a lot of it is just that concentration fades for me outside of TT. But when you were just doing TT on a specific track and doing really well, and then you go online and just can't race properly, it does make you wonder. Sometimes I would have great sessions. Lots of fun - win some lose some. But after a while too many were crap and the good one were too rare, so I don't really play much any more.

But to know if it's affecting me I have to check somehow. So how do I test for this? With only 0.1 s difference I'm not sure I'd notice because it's so little relative to the speed I run at, i.e. at least 10 seconds just to get of the sofa, an hour to get out of bed, and half a day to wake up, so 0.1 s is like 5 % of the blink of an eye.;)

yeldar2097
7th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Makes quite a lot of difference in the world of WO though does 0.1s ^_^

SaturnReturn
7th January 2011, 08:21 PM
I know. So how do I test for it to see if I'm getting it? It's not like I can do much I guess, but maybe if it happens and I can identify it then I can try restarting the PS3 or can notice a pattern as to when it happens.

MegaGeeza22
18th January 2011, 09:08 AM
Has anyone had this problem before-
I see a race and theres 3 or 4 people in the lobby so i join... but when i get in theres nobody there and it starts!!! and once its loaded it just stays on the loading screen!!! so i have to quit the game! its so bloody annoying. I hope im not the only one who gets the "ghost lobby" aaarrgghh!!!!!! :mad:

Flint Fandango
18th January 2011, 09:21 AM
I assure you, you´re not the only one! That´s happened to me 3 times...:brickwall
Actually, you should post this in the "What really grinds my gears" thread.
It´s not a problem - it´s an illness! IMO ;)

blackwiggle
18th January 2011, 01:43 PM
That is really annoying, I've had it happen a few times in a row to me and I've got so fed up with it I end up playing a different game.

yeldar2097
18th January 2011, 07:01 PM
so i have to quit the game!

Just press the PS button to go to XMB, then sign out of PSN. The game will give you a connection error. Then you merely have to sign in again to find another lobby, as opposed to having to start from scratch with a reboot :)

SaturnReturn
18th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Aha! Good tip is good.:+

MegaGeeza22
19th January 2011, 02:27 AM
Yes Good tip, thanks! It only happens to me 1 in 50 times but now i will be calm

Jav
19th January 2011, 02:36 AM
Aha! Good tip is good.:+

Great tip is great! Just a shame it's never happened to me :lol

Frailavi
19th January 2011, 05:57 AM
Is yeldar2097 a sophisticated top secret defense AI built in the late 90's by British scientists and engineers to predict and counter every possible threat to the UK, but instead got unexpectedly addicted to WipEout and uses his advance AI to trump any other pilot?

It's just a vague rumor I've heard floating about.

Medusa
19th January 2011, 02:13 PM
I like to think he's the equivalent to HD of what Jabberjaw and Asa are to XL. :)
But, I could be wrong. That rumour does sound plausible!

Aeroracer
19th January 2011, 02:20 PM
hahah your all wrong yeldar is tron..he lives on the grid..he is a security program..in cyber space he really looks like this..

http://www.studiobriefing.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tron_1.jpg

MegaGeeza22
21st January 2011, 04:30 PM
This may seem like a stupid question (it is) but what does bsb mean? iv looked everywere lol. iv only just got over the "SL" i always read it as Speed Lap but it never made sense until i realised it was Studio Liverpool...

QjonPL
21st January 2011, 04:35 PM
BoostSelectBoost - a technique used in SL; simply to boost into air near the end of a lap, Hold Reset Lap key (previously assigned to Select, now it's L1) to gain another free boost just before ending lap and getting one more boost :bat

Woopzilla
21st January 2011, 04:35 PM
BSB: Boost Select Boost

In an old patch resetting the lap in Speed Lap was done with the SELECT button. People would Boost into the air - hit select to get another turbo - and boost again into the lap.

Check the start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzwKpBLyl0

It's now been patched and to reset a lap you hit R1 (or it L1? lol) and it takes a few seconds before it gives you a second turbo. But as seen in the video above, it's still possible on some maps were you get really big airtime.

MegaGeeza22
21st January 2011, 04:45 PM
Ahhh! thank you! when i searched it all i got was back street boys and british super bike!!! its an anacronim...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ef0dWD9ccc

CPROSICK
21st January 2011, 11:07 PM
Anyone? I haven't been able to pull it off (Up the gravity hill, flip to the right and BR straight to the corner...

Any tips?

yeldar2097
22nd January 2011, 03:40 AM
Ah my favourite shortcut ^_^

Initially, make sure you pitch up when you boost so that you have enough airtime. Also, a quick tap on the airbrake is useful for pointing yourself in the right direction.
Other than that, just practice, you'll get it eventually :)

amplificated
22nd January 2011, 09:40 AM
You can use the lip on the side as a ramp to cut the corner (by a bit) and get yourself a br if you don't have a turbo, also. Turbos are obviously always better, but you're not always guaranteed to have one.

Frailavi
3rd February 2011, 11:42 PM
Whenever I play The Amphiseum, I always see people boost off the small jump right before the long turn into the crowd and land on the other side of it way ahead of me.

So I have to ask, quoi?

Woopzilla
4th February 2011, 12:00 AM
Do you mean Amphiseum Reverse? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXnH6rNXoxo

I do the shortcut several times in this video, it gives you a trophy too. 'The Amphi-Scenic Route.

Frailavi
4th February 2011, 12:23 AM
Ah, yes! That's it! Thank you very much woop! Also very nice race you had there, it looks like I'll need some practice before I can even hit that spot in a real race.

Time to practice!

Cipher
13th February 2011, 04:50 PM
Euhm, i got a question.. how the hell does this zone battle thing work? the thing with barriers and such =/, should you hit the barrier? what's with the zone change after hitting one, seriously.. i'm like WTFUUUUUU????

Greetz Apple-Guy

SaturnReturn
13th February 2011, 04:59 PM
Have you tried reading the instructions?

13th February 2011, 05:18 PM
how the hell does this zone battle thing work?

ive asked myself this many times :lol i still don't know the answer ;) perhaps its rhetorical? :P

Jav
13th February 2011, 05:20 PM
Avoid barriers, pick up pads, boost your way up to the required zone. It's no rocket science. ^^

Cipher
13th February 2011, 08:24 PM
Euhmmmm..... That's all? Guess i was searching too far =P
Thanks
@nutcase LOOOOOL xD
@saturn i haven't played fury yet, still completing HD but when hosting online i tried that option and i was like wtf is this???!!! Thought it was zone mode so survive as long as you can, combined with the ability to recharge your shield... That was untill a warning popped up for something called a barrier LOL by then it was already to late and went into it changing the zone or something which made me go crazy of question marks :P
Everybody left after that zone kind of thingy though... Looks like it's not so popular =P

Cipher

Cipher
22nd February 2011, 11:53 AM
New question; How do you guys complete Chenghou project in the last campaign session of HD, i can't for the life of me become first, made it to silver but jeeeez, i either keep getting killed, destroyed, kicked of, bumped into me, etc etc...

Cipher

ps (it's the utter left medal thingy, bottom one)

blackwiggle
22nd February 2011, 12:40 PM
Is this Chenghou at Elite difficulty or just against novice/skilled?

If it's against novice/skilled then you need to practice speed laps so you get the track memorized, usually barrel rolls alone should give you 1st place as the AI doesn't perform them.

Elite AI doesn't perform BR's either, but they are 15% faster than you around the course [cheating SOB's], so the best tactic is to stay back for the first 2 laps as the Elite AI race relative to your current speed/placing, then go hell for leather on the last 3 laps if it's Phantom speed, and BR at every opportunity and keep tight lines.

Even then it's a bit of a crap shoot till you get really good at this game.

Here's Hellfire's Tutorial on Chenghou, part of a complete series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXntkL-yDc

Cipher
22nd February 2011, 12:57 PM
Thx for that, and yeah it's elite phantom :p, problem is i keep getting way to much damage with the barrel rolls, and can't use any items since i need to absorb them :P

I do about 4barrel rolls =/

Cipher

blackwiggle
22nd February 2011, 01:22 PM
Well, in a 5 lap Phantom race you have 10; pretty unmissable BR's.

Each lap you would have the jump before the long banked left hander, and the drop before the chicane/tunnel, onto start/finish line.

Best to practice Speed lap's.
If you are a real die-hard Wipeout player, then you will put the time in to get your lap times down as far as possible.

Aim to beat your PB, over & over again.

Then aim for the Top 300 times in the records for each track at each speed.

Cipher
22nd February 2011, 01:47 PM
I'll try =), already made it to top534 but it's not enough =P

Greetz Apple-Guy