PDA

View Full Version : Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

blackwiggle
9th January 2009, 04:56 AM
afatsuoM you are not the only person that suffers from BR failure,and there have been many long discussions about them,some people like them and a lot loathe them.....there's even a poll a few pages back.

Your less likely to fail pulling off a BR using the D-Pad,and that's the only reason why a lot of players use it.
I asked Mad-Ice what his technique was and he replied that he just rubbed his thumb quickly side to side across the D-Pad.
Seems to work,but there is a % of failure even doing that,I've also found that it's easier to BR using different,but supposedly identical controllers,why I don't know.
You have the same problem with the sticks,except more so I find,your going to have a % of failure no matter what,how high that % is depends solely on changing your technique and practice,there's no magic/easy way of doing them,I've looked.

Unfortunately BR's are now ingrained into wipeout,they are a PITA ,and unless by some miracle SL decides to give us and option to remap the control method of doing them,then your be stuck in the same boat as the rest of us.

gbit
9th January 2009, 06:16 PM
Hi, probably a repeat question...but for someone who has finished pure and a whole lot of pulse, is getting WO:HD worth it?

I played the demo and the graphics are gob-smacking, but it took like 30 minutes of non-stop play to get to first place...the AI is really tough with weapons (very reminiscent of wo2097, when it gets bad there, it gets bad), and the slidey craft mechanics work far, far better on the psp's huge shoulder buttons than on a dual shock 3. It's is basically a remake of pure, and sometimes I think it would be worth it just to see sebenco climb and sol2 in amazing HD...but then the worth of wipeout is clearing the campaign and multiplayer, and I've already spent quite some time finishing off pure.

Also of note, I'm in the camp that thinks WO3:SE was the pinnacle of the series, especially the predictable floaty handling. They're called airbrakes and seem to work as such rather than the 'wide turn' airbrakes in pure and pulse.

eLhabib
9th January 2009, 06:58 PM
Forget the multiplayer experience you know from Pure and Pulse - this is a whole different league of bliss. Especially if you are comfortable with the 2 PSP games, that's even more reason to get HD imho.

Darkdrium777
9th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Get it, you will not regret it. ;) People say it's a remake, but it's really more than that.

stin
9th January 2009, 07:39 PM
gbit, I can recommended this HD for you, it is simply awesome game and I just cannot argue with it, trust me.;)

Yes I do play Pure and Pulse but I still play both of them if you are asking.

Just get it and once you hopefully will get used to it and then play online, trust me, it`s nothing like AI!.:cold

There is alot of speed freaks are out there who are not even a member here!

stevie:)

eLhabib
9th January 2009, 09:11 PM
Oh and by the way - you purchased a PS3 already, and the game is only 20 bucks, so what are you even pondering about?!:dizzy it's a no-brainer really.

darkfaerytales
9th January 2009, 10:08 PM
ok if they so that HD is more than a remake ok, just a point that i don't dig quite well is : between pure and pulse put together makes at least 60 tracks , there are 60 tracks in two games?

ok HD only 8, ok you can do in reverse so 16, but...ummm

blackwiggle
9th January 2009, 11:13 PM
You pay more[nearly half the price again] just for the extra tracks in PULSE than you do for the whole of WOHD,and that's before the WOHD price drop.

They might be basically the same tracks as the PSP versions,but there are enough differences between the versions to warrant purchasing HD.

darkfaerytales
10th January 2009, 12:12 AM
i would have apreciated much to pay two times or even three times that price for a very complete game with double or more the stuff wo hd offers...because this way as today i should still play it without any concern for sure...

FrenkyV
14th January 2009, 03:41 PM
For the Arcade Perfect trophy. Do it need to be single races? or can it be tournament-races?

Because i just won CP on phatom elite in a tournament (racebox), and that doesn't happen often :P

KIGO1987
14th January 2009, 04:14 PM
For the Arcade Perfect trophy. Do it need to be single races? or can it be tournament-races?

Because i just won CP on phatom elite in a tournament (racebox), and that doesn't happen often :P

It doesn't matter if the elite races are won in tournament or single race mode, it still counts.

blackwiggle
14th January 2009, 08:26 PM
FrenkyV: just remember to write down all 16 tracks and tick them off when you get first against Phantom -Elite-Racebox,otherwise you can lose track of which ones you have done, and wonder which one is missing when you don't get the Arcade Perfect Trophy.

And that is a real PITA

FrenkyV
15th January 2009, 12:38 PM
I know

But so far its easy, i've won al the foward tracks, and none of the reverse ;)

multibodydynamics
15th January 2009, 04:05 PM
If anyone hasn´t noticed...
When you choose your craft you can rotate it freely with the right analog stick. Press R2 to zoom in. Use the left analog stick to reposition the craft when zoomed in if there is a certain detail you want to see, the cockpit for exampel. For some reason the left analog stick is mirrored in the left/right direction.

Fun: yes
Useful: no
8)

gbit
15th January 2009, 08:40 PM
Well I bought HD earlier this morning, I played through enough to unlock auricom, and the AI from novice to skilled is a huge jump. I think novice is much more like pure than skilled is :D.

Other than that its just as great as pure and pulse, but the controls are much tighter/finer, so I'm sure there's plenty of room to get to the level of proficiency I have in 3se.

I thought that playing through the campaign would be boring the nth time round, but the wipeout thrill is still very much intact!

guillaume
16th January 2009, 12:09 PM
I think the rear view bug has been killed when patch 1.20 came out, i havent had any game freezes since then (good)
I tried using it again in the last few days and it indeed seems to be fixed. Thanks SL! :)

If anyone hasn´t noticed...
When you choose your craft you can rotate it freely with the right analog stick. Press R2 to zoom in. Use the left analog stick to reposition the craft when zoomed in if there is a certain detail you want to see, the cockpit for exampel. For some reason the left analog stick is mirrored in the left/right direction.
Sweet! :)

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 06:45 PM
good shout multibodydynamics. you can also make it do the funky thang by waving your sixaxis around like a lunatic.
*has a brainwave*
ship wobbling choreography set to the WO music??

KGB
17th January 2009, 08:20 PM
This isn't really a HD question but anyone know how many people have joined the zone since HD was released. There seems to be people arriving all the time and its obviously swelled the membership here.

Also can Infoxicated sue that **** on BBC1.

Darkdrium777
17th January 2009, 09:07 PM
Also can Infoxicated sue that **** on BBC1.What's that all about?

KGB
17th January 2009, 09:17 PM
The BBC's very bad remake of "Takeshi's Castle" called Total Wipeout with a feature called Wipeout Zone.
Richard Hammond Presents people falling off things. Brilliant
The Cheek!!!!!

Darkdrium777
17th January 2009, 10:15 PM
Oh the american version is better I think. It's just called 'Wipeout'

subtotal
22nd January 2009, 11:06 PM
hello quick question ,
in HD when you get fired at from behind, does a well timed absorbing of your pickup stop you taking a hit?
i'm sure i've cheated a few shots like this, i have checked the instructions but they dont mention it

cheers

Darkdrium777
22nd January 2009, 11:50 PM
No I don't think it does anything.

A well timed auto-pilot on the other hand gets you back in the race much faster.

subtotal
23rd January 2009, 12:33 AM
very true, auto pilot in HD is actually worth using,
especially around the nasty s-bend on ubermall

Asayyeah
23rd January 2009, 09:40 AM
If you been fired from behind you can save yer arse from that missile or rockets by spotting a bomb ( mines i am not 100% sure) at the right time : the missile or rockets will hit your bomb and not you directly.

A quake will clear up all the bombs in front of you, you can also shoot a bomb or mines ahead of you by the mini gun or rockets or missile : very useful sometimes.

leungbok
23rd January 2009, 09:50 AM
Mines works also to intercept missiles, Asa ;)

Asayyeah
23rd January 2009, 09:51 AM
Thx Christian , i wasn't too sure of this ;)

yeldar2097
23rd January 2009, 10:06 AM
tactical sideshifts around a lot of corners can make it miss you as well. sometimes hits anyone that might be in front of you (all the time in my case). makes for a useful tactic in my eyes.

KIGO1987
23rd January 2009, 10:57 AM
Mines works also to intercept missiles, Asa ;)

Very useful those mines are sometimes. Good for getting rid of those irritating missiles.

Now ive joined Arena now. So you can find me in two places now. Gotta say im a bit lost there:lol

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2009, 01:08 PM
Yep, true. Bombs and mines for the win :lol

gbit
23rd January 2009, 06:52 PM
Why tactically evade when you can hope and pray once you hear the warning? :D It wouldn't be wipeout without the thrill of not getting hit!

subtotal
24th January 2009, 10:40 AM
thanks for the tips people,

i'm not a fan of the sideshift though i never use it for anything,it tends to happen too often by accident for me,if there was an option to turn it off i would.
although are many of you using it to get round corners quickly especially on phantom ?
i tend to lift the nose up for the tight ones on phantom but i am obviously loosing exit speed doing this

LOUDandPROUD
24th January 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm the same way...only on rare occasions do I intentionally use sideshift. It generally happens by accident while modulating the brakes, which ends up ruining my line or slamming me into a wall. Like you, I'd disable it if I had the option. Of course, my habits probably mean that I'll never really excel racing in Phantom mode, as I'm pretty sure liberal and accurate use of the sideshift is imperative to your success. I'm fine with that though :)

trentdf
25th January 2009, 02:14 AM
you gotsta learn to side shift- it gives you a slight boost if it goes in the direction your heading, and you can also stop turning sooner, which means your accelerating sooner. Sideshifts work for ALL corners, also for snaky sections.

and my random question- why doesn't HD have an intro seqence :(

Pere_HD
25th January 2009, 03:58 AM
Hey everyone, a random question came up when playing Wipeout HD the other day...

...does the shape and/or size of the ship make it difficult to barrel roll? Is it easier to barrel rol using FEISAR than using Triakis? (for e.g.)

:D

yeldar2097
25th January 2009, 04:06 PM
i've found there's pretty much no difference in BR ease with ships, but with some you might tend to think you can attempt a BR sooner/later because of it's shape.

sideshifts are awesome. you can stp them happening accidentally (or at least reduce this) by adjusting airbrake sensitivity (correct me if i'm wrong good pilots).

Darkdrium777
25th January 2009, 07:19 PM
It also depends on how long you hold down the airbrake button after the second press. Hold it down a lot, and you will sideshift over a great distance (Generally half the track's width), just do a quick double tap and it will be a mini-sideshift. :)

yeldar2097
25th January 2009, 08:48 PM
are you kidding? why was i not told this before? darky you're a genius, my sideshifting will go to great new heights with this information!!

SaturnReturn
25th January 2009, 09:56 PM
Indeed, this is a most valuable piece of information that demands further investigation. Could bring a whole new dimension to my racing. Or I could still suck at sideshifting - one of the two.

I have two related questions - forgive me if they've already been answered.
1.Does pitching forward over a speed pad give you a bigger boost? I read somewhere that it did but it's hard to tell.

2. Also, does pitching forward as you boost off the start line give you a bigger boost? I did that once by accident and I thought it was quicker than usual, but may have just been psychological.

Darkdrium777
25th January 2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97417&postcount=9

Pitch down has no effect on speed now, except of course on slanted turns like Chengou's, where if you don't pitch down you obviously slow down.

The better your timing off the grid, the better the boost will be.

SaturnReturn
25th January 2009, 10:13 PM
Cool, thanks.

djKyoto
28th January 2009, 02:29 AM
/eh nm, saw a youtube vid. :)

stinkleroy
1st February 2009, 11:35 AM
Ok I have a random question....has anyone ever been in last place in a race and had rockets (or any forward firing weapon) fired at them from behind? It happened to me today...and no I wasn't being lapped, there were 3 of us in the race and I was about 3 seconds behind the leader...it wasn't 2nd place firing at me either as I could see him in front.

So if it's not a question of lag....then I can only assume that the game has a mind of it's own (which I have always secretly suspected :p) and it's decided that it doesn't like me :blarg

Anyone else experience this?

GreenPhazon
3rd February 2009, 05:48 PM
Do I suck or do my ships go REALLY slow when I play online?

Darkdrium777
3rd February 2009, 06:18 PM
Make sure your acceleration sensitivity is at the lowest setting (10%)

GreenPhazon
3rd February 2009, 06:55 PM
What does acceleration sensitivity do? What is it good for if it's best to have it at it's lowest setting?

crawdad62
3rd February 2009, 07:00 PM
It's kind of obtuse. The lower the number the more sensitive it is. The less pressure needs to be applied. In other words having it set to 10% means you only need 10% of a full button push to obtain full throttle.

IH8YOU
3rd February 2009, 07:01 PM
Ok I have a random question....has anyone ever been in last place in a race and had rockets (or any forward firing weapon) fired at them from behind? It happened to me today...and no I wasn't being lapped, there were 3 of us in the race and I was about 3 seconds behind the leader...it wasn't 2nd place firing at me either as I could see him in front.

So if it's not a question of lag....then I can only assume that the game has a mind of it's own (which I have always secretly suspected :p) and it's decided that it doesn't like me :blarg

Anyone else experience this?

Cat - it is lag, and it's happened to me too! Couple of times actually. :(

yeldar2097
3rd February 2009, 07:39 PM
come to think of it, does anyone else find mp races much slower than all the offline modes?
i went from phantom mp to phantom tt and was like ahhhhh!! it's so different!!

GTP_Rorschach
3rd February 2009, 07:48 PM
haven't noticed a difference, however, it may be a percieved difference going from MP to TT - in MP, one is on the 'weapons pickup' racing line, the focus is on weapons rather than boosts, and this can slow you down. On the TT, one is looking only for the speedups and so flies a faster racing line. In MP - try pretending its a time trial and ignore the weapons for the most part, only pickup weapons on the TT racing line, you should see an improvement.

For comparisons, note your race completion times in both modes, this should clear things up.

Darkdrium777
3rd February 2009, 10:14 PM
What does acceleration sensitivity do? What is it good for if it's best to have it at it's lowest setting?It's very important that it is put at the lowest setting, otherwise you might end up not having 100% acceleration even when you think you're pressing down fully on the X button.

Look it up on this forum, this sensitivity thing has been discussed time and time again. 10% is the setting everyone should use for the acceleration sensitivity. You're never going to need 50% acceleration, only on or off, so don't put it higher than 10%, it serves no purpose other than slowing you down if you don't press on the button like a psycho.

GreenPhazon
4th February 2009, 03:27 PM
I did do a quick search but didn't quite get what I was after. Thanks Darkdrium.

DawnFireDragoon
12th February 2009, 03:08 AM
so, here's the thing.

my friend has a ps3 and bought wipeout hd, so naturally i sat down, completed the entire campaign on gold and unlocked about half the skins in the game (it's wipeout, it had to be done...and i wanted to make a video to showcase the huds and ships for people on youtube!)

then loaded up the game the other day...to find all progress ws lost? has this happened to anyone else?

it's really annoying as i don't think i like hd enough to do it all again, but now can't just boot it up for a blast around some of the circuits!

guillaume
12th February 2009, 12:11 PM
I think the rear view bug has been killed when patch 1.20 came out, i havent had any game freezes since then (good)
I tried using it again in the last few days and it indeed seems to be fixed. Thanks SL! :)

Looks like it's not totally fixed after all (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5321&p=113031) (it could be something else, but it really felt like the same bug).

klax75
12th February 2009, 12:23 PM
so, here's the thing.

my friend has a ps3 and bought wipeout hd, so naturally i sat down, completed the entire campaign on gold and unlocked about half the skins in the game (it's wipeout, it had to be done...and i wanted to make a video to showcase the huds and ships for people on youtube!)

then loaded up the game the other day...to find all progress ws lost? has this happened to anyone else?

it's really annoying as i don't think i like hd enough to do it all again, but now can't just boot it up for a blast around some of the circuits!

Were you logged in as the same account person on the PS3? If you make another account, and use WOHD you'll have to start all over. The game works for all accounts but the save game data doesn't cross between them.

djKyoto
12th February 2009, 12:41 PM
Dear SL.

Please change the BR controls to something else that isn't tied with the steering. I'm breaking all my DS3 controllers (2 now). That L1 button could do the trick.

DJ.

blackwiggle
12th February 2009, 12:46 PM
That would be my number one wish also.

Drives me nuts.

If we are stuck with the bloody things at least let us have a choice to map that control input to something else.

LOUDandPROUD
12th February 2009, 01:27 PM
Hmm...they'd be a little too easy to perform then, don't you think? It takes skill and precision to perform a BR and nail a smooth landing...to attempt one is always a risk and strategic choice for several reason. Is it worth it to attempt one here and risk grinding the wall around the upcoming hairpin? Do I even have a reasonable amount of energy left to perform one? Or do I have enough of a lead that I can do without? Yes, they can be a challenge , but isn't that the point? Y'know, it's the whole risk/reward thing. If you could map BRs to the L1 button, everyone and their mother would be executing them perfectly at every opportunity, with the only consideration being energy. IMO, that would take a lot of the strategy, skill and fun out of this game. Again, just my opinion.

crawdad62
12th February 2009, 01:32 PM
I agree LOUD. I think that's the whole point of the BR. It shouldn't be an "automatic" maneuver. As it stands now you really have to think about when AND where to execute one. If all you had to do was push a button it would take the majority of the skill out of one (albeit one small aspect) of piloting control.

djKyoto
12th February 2009, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't mind either, if they worked more than half the god dam time.

Because often enough I fail to initinate a BR (earlier on ubermall reverse I went left right left right about 3/4 times in the air and it still didnt work) or they delay (ie just as I land, like after not touching the steering for like a second), I have to quickly and somewhat violently do the BR command, which is killing off all my controllers.

Just a little gripe that all, DS3's are expensive.

LOUDandPROUD
12th February 2009, 07:35 PM
Yah, I do feel your pain and sympathize. DS3s are definitely not cheap!

yeldar2097
12th February 2009, 08:59 PM
on the same token, is there a way to reduce accidental BR's.
sometimes during mid-air corrections i hear the noise and subsequently 'energy critical'.
it's even worse if the BR doesn't even finish so you lose energy for nothing. grr

DawnFireDragoon
12th February 2009, 10:30 PM
Were you logged in as the same account person on the PS3? If you make another account, and use WOHD you'll have to start all over. The game works for all accounts but the save game data doesn't cross between them.

i'm, not sure, i will check though. thankyou for replying!

LOUDandPROUD
12th February 2009, 10:43 PM
@ yeldar2097 - Re: Reducing accidental barrel rolls

Yes, there is a way to reduce them...do not move the stick or d-pad in a quick left-right-left or right-left-right motion when you don't want to perform a barrel roll. :P

yeldar2097
13th February 2009, 12:22 AM
it's quite difficult for people like me who can't fly in a straight line ;)

KIGO1987
13th February 2009, 11:07 AM
Dear SL.

Please change the BR controls to something else that isn't tied with the steering. I'm breaking all my DS3 controllers (2 now). That L1 button could do the trick.

DJ.

Haha, lol. Smash! My DS3 is going good, only ****ed one old Sixaxis controller, the other one is a bit rattly. Its been ****ed ever since doing the Elite trophy back last year, that managed to piss me off bad. DS3 controllers are too expensive to break thats why im very careful with them.

That would be my number one wish also.

Drives me nuts.

If we are stuck with the bloody things at least let us have a choice to map that control input to something else.

A single button BR control, would be so, so, so (i got to emphazie this) so much better not being tied to the steering. Or you could make a next get Wipeout minus the BRs. It would be like the good old days where you could use your cockpit view again. Also without BRs or even having the single button BR control, it would be easier to use motion sensitivity as well as the L3 button again for this game.

MR-RICO84
13th February 2009, 03:17 PM
I set my soundtrack to user content ( I love to listen to 70's funk, calms the nerves) But no matter what I do I never get it to play. What settings do I need to adjust? I love the wipeout music but I am bugged by this!

kanar
13th February 2009, 03:20 PM
Do you have prepared a playlist on your ps3 harddrive before entering wipeout? as far as I can remember, you just have to link your music settings to your playlist. Hope it helps you.

MR-RICO84
13th February 2009, 04:49 PM
I have it as a playlist, the tracks all cycle through (when you go to audio options I can see all my tracks listed) But when I play the game no music. As soon as I return to default playlist I get the wipout music. Grrr.

LOUDandPROUD
13th February 2009, 05:28 PM
Make sure your music is in MP3 format, as WipEout will not play any other.

gbit
15th February 2009, 12:39 AM
I have my custom soundtrack all in AAC (.m4a) format, and the music plays just fine, I think the game should support anything the ps3 supports playing from the xmb menu.

Did you try ripping a CD on the ps3 and then using the playlist from that?

LOUDandPROUD
15th February 2009, 02:54 AM
Really? Interesting, as when I attempted to use WMA format, my music wouldn't play. Once I converted it all to MP3 though, I had no problems. Maybe it just doesn't like WMA then...

Mateo
15th February 2009, 09:12 PM
A single button BR control, would be so, so, so (i got to emphazie this) so much better not being tied to the steering. Or you could make a next get Wipeout minus the BRs. It would be like the good old days where you could use your cockpit view again. Also without BRs or even having the single button BR control, it would be easier to use motion sensitivity as well as the L3 button again for this game.

it would be so much better if BRs could be attached to the motion sensor (without steering with it). BR and pitch with motion and steering with d-pad or stick...:+

yeldar2097
16th February 2009, 05:49 PM
i quite like the br system as is but each to his own.

anyway, another random hd question of sorts: is there a way to make sure that songs in your custom playlist play at the same volume?
with some of my songs, i can barely hear the song, with others, i can barely hear any sfx.
i don't really know a lot about this sort of thing so any help would be much appreciated.

Darkdrium777
16th February 2009, 06:30 PM
There is definitely something in there in the options, audio side obviously. I think it's called "Level audio" or something like that, it should be a check box.
But it is definitely there.

Try it out, I don't know if it works though because my music is roughly the same volume so turning it on or off has no effect from what I can hear.

I suppose if your music is indeed of a different volume then it will work :)

darkfaerytales
17th February 2009, 01:26 AM
just a tought :

is possible to do two barrels rolls one after the other?

yeldar2097
17th February 2009, 02:00 AM
no you can only do one at a time.
that is to say, you have to hear the WHOOOOSH turbo noise before you can start another one :)

leungbok
17th February 2009, 07:40 AM
You can do two barrel rolls one after the other, but you don't have a significant speed gain ;)

yeldar2097
17th February 2009, 02:21 PM
i stand corrected, i'm just not good fast enough to get two at once.
i'll just pretend you can only get one ;)

Darkdrium777
17th February 2009, 02:24 PM
You can do two barrel rolls during the same jump??

LOUDandPROUD
17th February 2009, 05:15 PM
Yah, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done in videos that are posted here.

yeldar2097
17th February 2009, 05:22 PM
i'm not sure but leungbok is a bit of a BR fiend (see youtube) so i'm guessing he's right.
never pulled it off myself though.
hey leung, maybe you could make a video for us? pleeeease :)

Darkdrium777
17th February 2009, 07:05 PM
Please excuse my scepticism. I got back home early so I will try this right away.

No, it's definitely not possible to do two barrel rolls in the same jump. You can chain many together but you have to touch the ground in between each of them.

leungbok
17th February 2009, 07:51 PM
Hey mates don't you remember this vidéo ? ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O877da7BrTs&feature=related

crawdad62
17th February 2009, 07:55 PM
Hey mates don't you remember this vidéo ? ;)

First time I watched it it looked like the ship touched down slightly entering the tunnel but after watching it again in HQ it's definitely two BR's.

KGB
17th February 2009, 08:01 PM
Two places where i know its possible to do this and indeed try to do it everytime are. The final hill before the tunnel on sebenco forward. If you get the right position you can BR off the hill, boost down and BR again while in the air.(Leungbok posted a clip of him doing this).
Also Ubermall reverse after the little chicane, BR off the little hill then another one before you land. this is slightly faster than doing one BR (I think):lol

Darkdrium777
17th February 2009, 11:33 PM
He touched the ground in between barrel rolls. Watch again, the back of the Piranha goes off the screen and just lightly touches the ground.

It's impossible per the game code to do two BRs in one jump. If you don't believe that, go ahead and try on Ubermall on the long straight. Boost when coming up the hill, do a BR and try to do a second one.

It's swell to chain BRs like that but it's lying to say you can do two rolls in one jump. As I said, just try it on a very long jump in the air, try to do two barrel rolls during that long jump.

Have fun.

darkfaerytales
18th February 2009, 01:28 AM
i see being able to do more BR on the same jump very useful if Sl take in consideration to do a florion heights HD edition

KGB
18th February 2009, 06:17 AM
Darkdrium777, I don't think i am lying? :frown:

There maybe a slight difference of opinion in what constitutes touching the ground in between BR's. It certainly doesn't feel like i am touching the ground between them.

If you say that the game will not allow it then fine, i must be chaining them together.

yeldar2097
18th February 2009, 01:18 PM
surely it depends on whether you hear the whooosh noise between them?
if you do, then you have 'touched' the ground, if you don't, then you can do 2 :)

Darkdrium777
18th February 2009, 03:30 PM
If you get the boost of speed between the BRs, you've touched the ground, even if it is only for a fraction of a second.

What I'm trying to do is to avoid any confusion: you cannot do two barrel rolls during the same jump.

Like I said, grab a turbo, head to Ubermall forward on the long straight and take off from the hill before the finish line. You will only be able to do a barrel roll once, and will not be able to perform one again until you've landed on the ground (Which means getting the burst of speed).

Darkdrium777
21st February 2009, 11:53 PM
Not a question, but a confirmation:

In case anyone was wondering: Plasma destroys bombs (And most probably mines) on impact and keeps going after (Unlike a missile or a rocket, both of which are destroyed on impact).

Yeah, this just happened. :D I fired my plasma, the AI fired a bomb, it destroyed the bomb and hit him! :twisted

SaturnReturn
22nd February 2009, 12:32 AM
surely it depends on whether you hear the whooosh noise between them?
if you do, then you have 'touched' the ground, if you don't, then you can do 2 :)

Nonsense! As we all know, you only get a whooosh with a Wotsit. Don't they teach you kids anything in school these days?:lol

Random question - In online play, has anyone else ever felt like they were rammed and pushed through the track? I'm sure this happened to me the other day. Not over the side, just clean through it; was very strange indeed.

darkfaerytales
22nd February 2009, 12:32 AM
it could be, it could be, since A: plasma isn't a solid weapon, composed by parts and mechanism, like rockets and missiles ; B it is the most powerful weapon

GreenPhazon
22nd February 2009, 02:42 PM
Random question - In online play, has anyone else ever felt like they were rammed and pushed through the track? I'm sure this happened to me the other day. Not over the side, just clean through it; was very strange indeed.
Yes, several times. On Pulse, I sometimes get it in grid mode (but it's easier to catch up than on HD).

Asayyeah
22nd February 2009, 07:23 PM
Just my 2 cents about the 2 brs story : that is possible to chain 2 brs but you ll have to slightly touch the ground between the 2, otherwise it seems impossible ( at least to me)
I can chain 2 brs on the final straight of vineta frwd ( thx Christian to show me the light ;) ) but i know i touched the ground.

Like Xavier said on a jump you can t BR twice in the air or someone will have to show me the vid ( zico's one you mentionned Christian, the ship clearly hits the ground between BR N°2 and 3)

leungbok
22nd February 2009, 08:42 PM
Yes i believe you Arnaud & Xavier, it's a word battle in fact :lol let's called that chained br, then. ;)

Sideshow
23rd February 2009, 09:21 AM
I was on the wrong end of this last night; heard 'Plasma', started dumping mines and got blown off the track anyway.

EDIT: 'this' being plasma cutting through mines

DawnFireDragoon
23rd February 2009, 06:05 PM
less of a random question, more of an update on my previous random question a few pages back.

i previously mentioned losing all progress in campaign on my friends ps3, looked into it i had no problems with accounts or anything...just all the data gone. so i've almost re-completed the campaign...but it'll take forever to unlock all skins.

so i have no idea how it happened, but it did and it's bad.

Asayyeah
23rd February 2009, 06:58 PM
You are not the only one Emerald , Stevie's son got the same erasing datas problem , although he can go online.
Maybe it's due to long inactivity or simply another weird bug...

DawnFireDragoon
23rd February 2009, 07:04 PM
i hope it's not a bug, i don't want that to happen to other players!!!

maybe they fixed it in that recent mystery patch.

Darkdrium777
23rd February 2009, 08:34 PM
Patch that we still have not got, by the way.

darkfaerytales
28th February 2009, 12:33 AM
i've a question that spin around my head from some time

the AI ship does recharge their shield?

i remenber in pulse you can quite spot sometimes a ship in the mean it still recharging, and you can see the purple effect, but in HD i have never saw that

Darkdrium777
28th February 2009, 06:55 AM
Yes they do absorb weapons they pick up.

darkfaerytales
28th February 2009, 01:44 PM
are you sure? cause i swear you i never have seen any absorb a weapon

this, with the fact that respect the old wipeout games and the psp ones ( i cant talk for fusion which i don't own ) there is a very high elimination rate in races, did you noticed this? at least 1 craft get destroyed per race , almost everytime, when there aren't 2 or even 3!

Darkdrium777
28th February 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes I am sure :) People get eliminated often because of heavy weapons fire and ship to ship damage.

darkfaerytales
28th February 2009, 06:53 PM
ok friend, but i talk about the AI ship gets eliminated not people ship
bytheway then ok:+

Darkdrium777
28th February 2009, 07:38 PM
Yes they do absorb, and I was talking about the AI ships as well. ;)

You should let the game idle and when it is a weapons on race you will see them absorb if you're lucky enough.

RagnaRock
28th February 2009, 09:19 PM
Is there anyway to contact studio liverpool? ive been searching the wipeout websites no e-mail in any of them:(

how can we reach them?to send sugestions or asking to solve some bug in the next patch?

SaturnReturn
1st March 2009, 12:34 AM
How long have people ghosted at the start of online races? As in, when did this first become a feature? I know it's been that way for a good while now, I'm just wondering if this was brought in with a patch, maybe the latest one? It occurred to me again today as I remember I always used to get completely mugged at the first sharp left on chenghou if I even tried to take the corner properly, but that doesn't happen any more.

blackwiggle
1st March 2009, 12:45 AM
I think that has more to do with lag,I still slamm into the rear of some craft at the start if they are slow off the grid,other times go straight through them,same thing at that corner you mentioned.

The non functioning weapons pads has become worse for me lately,I'll be a fair way ahead,run over the pads and get zilch.
Bit of a game killer,especially when in a tournament and it happens on several tracks.

stinkleroy
13th March 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not usually one of those people plays racing games like I'm actually in the vehicle, wev'e all seen them and laughed at them turning the controller like it's a steering wheel :p

To my horror I've discovered that Sol2 rev and Sebenco rev make me play wipeout at some kind of weird 45 degree angle because there are so many twists and turns on these tracks.

Has anyone else found themselves involuntarily doing this? :?

AG-wolf
13th March 2009, 05:11 PM
depends how big your TV is... I think the larger the viewing area, the more self-induced vertigo we portray :P I never usually twist and turn when I'm playing a game, but now that you mention it, sol2r and sebenco both kinda do the same thing to me. I gotta start sitting back from the TV a ways :P

lunar
13th March 2009, 05:18 PM
I`d be disapointed if a Wipeout game didn`t make me move myself around in various strange ways ;) Finding myself ducking and weaving on internal view was attracted me to 2097 years ago. I still do it with a new game, but once I have learned the game properly I stop doing it. But on some parts of HD my brain still seems to think it will help me perform a difficult manoevre if I lean back, twist the controller in the air and stick my tongue out. :P It`s very undignified.

eLhabib
13th March 2009, 05:43 PM
Oh my, you don't even wanna know what I look like when I play games that really have me concentrating. Leaning into turns is the least weird-looking thing I do, believe me.

If you really wanna see what I'm talking about, klick here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=channel_page&hl=de&v=tsW5ZzO6wiU) - you have been warned! ;)

KIGO1987
13th March 2009, 05:51 PM
Lol. Its quite funny when your in the same room as me on the PS. There is a tonne of swearing, and everything in between, it makes the angry german kid look like a christian solider lol.

Lion
13th March 2009, 08:40 PM
I wanna play against you in burnout paradise then :) (permanently open mic)
the louder the people I play against, the more fun I have :D

stin
14th March 2009, 02:24 PM
LOL!, that is so funny el!

stevie:lol

KGB
14th March 2009, 03:23 PM
If I ever get a turbo on ubermall forward and use it out of the building, I usually duck so i don't bang my head on the roof!!!:lol

yeldar2097
14th March 2009, 04:33 PM
i always hold my head in pain because i almost always hit the roof :)
i end up with really chapped lips because i frantically stick my tongue out whenever i'm trying to BR

KIGO1987
15th March 2009, 06:28 AM
I wanna play against you in burnout paradise then :) (permanently open mic)
the louder the people I play against, the more fun I have :D

Still yet to get that game.

stinkleroy
15th March 2009, 06:53 AM
Ha ha I bet the wipeout convention is an awesome sight, seeing everyone twisting and turning like idiots together in the same room. If only I had the cash! :lol

blackwiggle
15th March 2009, 11:28 PM
I tend to sit pretty still ,well try to,as I've found after doing heaps of TT & SL's too much moving about really destructive to racing.
I think it has a lot to do with how big your screen is and how close you sit to it.

Smaller screen you tend to be more animated in your gestures,but when playing through the projector ,if you move about you tend to crash into things.

It hasn't always been like that,you should off seen me years ago playing 2097,moving around like a frustrated chimp.:lol

lunar
16th March 2009, 12:25 AM
I have always ducked on Sampa Run and probably always will. ;)

@KGB - I do that too if I`ve boosted too soon. Ducking does help you miss the roof on that Ubermall shortcut. Also breathing in helps you get around the following S bends without hitting the walls.

KGB
16th March 2009, 12:55 AM
I'll try the breathing in Lunar, that could be the answer, I might try opening my eyes sometimes as well, that might help :P.

yeldar2097
16th March 2009, 01:28 AM
i like to close my eyes at the finish if i know it's giong to be tight.
kgb? wow! how do you fly like that? the force must be strong with you :lol

Question (just for ontipic's sake): how far do quakes go in HD?

LOUDandPROUD
16th March 2009, 02:50 AM
I thought I saw somewhere that quakes travel for 6 seconds, but I very well may be mistaken...

Danterich
16th March 2009, 10:03 AM
I´ve read elsewhere a quake goes about a half lap long !

lunar
16th March 2009, 10:41 AM
Actually it depends on several factors that SL carefully programmed into the game code. As a quake "receiver", if I am leading the race it keeps going until it gets me, no matter how far. This can be up to 3 laps, if necessary. If I am in a close second place, it goes just far enough to get me but not the leader, dying out immediately after bringing me to a half and only warming the leader`s tailpipe. Quakes also adjust their speed to make sure they get me just as I am crossing track splits, ensuring that I plummet to my doom and go from first to last place. As a quake "giver" different rules apply. Now, these track splits act as barriers that quakes cannot cross. If they do not hit these barriers, quakes travel about 3 seconds forward, at most, and usually they trigger a shield pick up for the race leader to make sure he isn`t hurt. That`s how it works.

Actually I think it`s just under six seconds, not as much as half a lap, unless you`re Wellington in which case that is about half a lap. ;) I think they were made to travel slightly further in HD to give chasers more of a chance, but I don`t remember if this came from SL or not. :)

eLhabib
16th March 2009, 10:59 AM
hehehe so true, Stephen, so true!

yeldar2097
16th March 2009, 11:36 AM
ok, we'll call it roughly 6 seconds.
anyone mastered the art of 'quake dodging'? i've managed it twice, any tips?

Danterich
16th March 2009, 12:23 PM
i only escaped once or twice, too, if i remember correctly. I think a perfectly turbo is the only chance(0,01%?) to escape. Or maybe laggy connection? once, it appeared to me as if i was "surfing" on one!!! man, that rocked!

eLhabib
16th March 2009, 12:30 PM
I did manage to surf a quake once, through a lucky combination of shield activation immediately followed by turbo pickup and a quake that hit me just as i boosted, plus the fact that all this happened on the long first magstrip straight of Moa. Perfect surfing conditions! :D - but hey, what are the chances of that happening EVER again...

Lion
16th March 2009, 12:59 PM
I managed to keep the glow at the bottom of my screen and stay just ahead of it without a turbo once, fortune smiled on me and I was in an area with a lot of speed pads at phantom speed.
six seconds seems like an eternity when it's six seconds of that rumble and orange glow

yeldar2097
16th March 2009, 01:06 PM
i've done it twice in the same situation;
quake was chasing me and i was on the anulpha overpass, didn't want to risk a respawn so i dropped down onto the track and the quake missed me completely.
i was well chuffed :D

i'm a curius person so i have another question: what's the fast way to turn 180 from a standstill? would we helpful for races (i end up facing the wrong way a lot :lol)

Mateo
17th March 2009, 02:28 AM
ok, we'll call it roughly 6 seconds.
anyone mastered the art of 'quake dodging'? i've managed it twice, any tips?

I've managed it twice too, once with shields + turbo (I cannot say if I just got a normal speed boost or if it was thanks to the quake-surfing even faster than a normal bosst, but it looked really fast and cool:lol) and once just with a turbo and without shields. I think it was a little slower than a normal speed boost on a straight, but thanks to the surfing it didn't stop me, it didn't changed the direction I was flying in and the engine "stopped burning" before the turbo lost his whole energy, but after the quake normally hits you, slows you down and presses you against the wall. So i hadn't to waste time with acclerating and could continue flying nearly as nothin happened.
It's defintely impossible to surf a quake deliberately, the precise moment is not distinguishable if you aren't a robot (or a Wellington). I surfed the quake both times accidentally, because I normally turn the game sounds down and my music to the maximum, so I hardly ever hear the warnings...:lol

I have a question too: I raced some weeks ago a guy with a flag I have never seen before, maybe you guys know, where he was from. The flag was similar to the US flag but it was red and the left upper corner was blue. In the middle of the blue part there was a white, quite round, thing I couldn't identify because of the small size of the flags in the lobby. Here's a painting I made in MS Paint, I replaced the white thing with a white ball, maybe someone knows the flag:

Darkdrium777
17th March 2009, 03:08 AM
Union of Myanmar (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Flag_of_Myanmar.svg) OR Republic of China (Taiwan) (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg)

KIGO1987
17th March 2009, 05:17 AM
Taiwan.... hmmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbSvPtyCoEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xCn3ZYTU0Y

Vartazian
17th March 2009, 08:15 AM
Actually it depends on several factors that SL carefully programmed into the game code. As a quake "receiver", if I am leading the race it keeps going until it gets me, no matter how far. This can be up to 3 laps, if necessary. If I am in a close second place, it goes just far enough to get me but not the leader, dying out immediately after bringing me to a half and only warming the leader`s tailpipe. Quakes also adjust their speed to make sure they get me just as I am crossing track splits, ensuring that I plummet to my doom and go from first to last place. As a quake "giver" different rules apply. Now, these track splits act as barriers that quakes cannot cross. If they do not hit these barriers, quakes travel about 3 seconds forward, at most, and usually they trigger a shield pick up for the race leader to make sure he isn`t hurt. That`s how it works.

Hah at elast you get quakes while you are tailing. I never have such luck.

blackwiggle
17th March 2009, 11:24 AM
That first Taiwan fight was really over who ate the last dim sim.

And the second was over who was going to be the designated driver of the coach to the casino.;)

KGB
17th March 2009, 12:52 PM
A confusing thing has been happening to me of late.

When i first started playing HD online I always remember that at the start of the race your ship is a ghost, I thought this was on purpose to let everyone get away from the line smoothly. I have just noticed that my ship is now solid right from the start, which means if there is something to hit , I hit it!

Does anyone else have a solid ship or is it a ghost at the start?

BARTgai
18th March 2009, 01:48 AM
I think the ghost ship at the beginning has to do with the connection. When the race starts I think the game is making sure everyone is "synced" together connection wise because soon everyone turns solid.

It could also be why ships can sometimes turn to ghosts mid-race as the game might have a connection problem with the player or there could be some lag and the game is assuming where the ship would be.

I could be totally wrong and there may be some other reason for the ghosts.

Lion
18th March 2009, 07:52 AM
ghosts at the start line has been so consistent for me that I thought it was a case of everyone being ethereal until crossing the line, to avoid someone ruining the race of the person behind them either out of malice or by being away from their controller at round-start

KGB
18th March 2009, 10:10 AM
Thats what I thought!
I have been suffering lately from being totally mashed from the start, it seems if your ship is solid then you are at a disadvantage, if I re-spawn at any point in the game then I am a ghost, which is a tool most games use to introduce you back into a game after you have been killed, eliminated or whatever.

Everyone around me looks like they are a ghost when they start, I would like to know if this non-ghosting is a sign of a good internet connection or very bad lag?

Lion
18th March 2009, 11:46 AM
I use internal view, so if I am a ghost then I don't even know

Motorsagmannen
18th March 2009, 10:01 PM
i want to discuss an odd phenomena i encountered on sebenco climb reversed.
i was racing against a german guy i cant recall the name off.
first checkpoint after the starting block he led by 6,4 secs and i didnt even se him pass me or even start racing. after half a lap his lead was down to 3 secs, and then again in the first hallf off the second lap he was ahead with 9 secs. but then i trimmed it down to 5 in the second half. he was either godly fast in the first half and awfully slow on the second half. or some weird connection thing occured. i raced him two times more just to be certain and same thing happened both the other times too. neither off the races he allowed me to change ships, but thats not that relevant ( he might just be an asshole) i still cant figure out the logic in his inconsistency during the laps. anyone have a clue whats up?

rdmx
19th March 2009, 08:34 AM
He might be really good but inconsistent, tracking off a lot of times. Or they could be some VERY dodgy prediction code happening here.

Mateo
19th March 2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe he's just able to consistently pull off a barrel roll at the entrance of the tunnel + hit all three speed pads + hit speed pad at the end of the tunnel without touching the walls, but sucks in the extreme bends. Sometimes it happens to myself that I do a perfect start/tunnel at Sebenco Reverse but then steer to hard and early left or right and hit the wall frontally at the first tight left or the second tight right bend.
Or he just had luck and got every lap a turbo which he used to fly over the zig-zag part.

mic-dk
20th March 2009, 07:59 AM
Motorsag: I've seen this happen once before. At one point I was 10 seconds ahead, at the next timer I was 4 seconds behind, without ever seeing anyone. All the while the weaponpads didn't function (or was propably used by someone else). I have only experienced it once, so I wrote it off to lag/bad servers/intergalatic radiation etc.

subtotal
21st March 2009, 05:07 PM
hello all ,

phantom class seems to be taking a lot longer to feel comfortable with than the previous classes and can be incredibly annoying (bouncing off the track)

over the last month i have mainly been playing online phantom, i've met loads of you from here and i have improved somewhat -happy days-but i feel that i'm quite literally hitting the wall that blocks progress and its getting a bit frustrating, do i need to be doing perfect lap after perfect lap to compete ?

stinkleroy
21st March 2009, 05:20 PM
I know what you mean subby :p

I feel that way too sometimes, but then I changed my ship choice and I've been more confident flying AG systems on phantom, and am improving....slowly. I just accept that I'll never be as good as some of the guys on here and have fun instead :D

Lion
21st March 2009, 08:53 PM
I've tended to find that there's a few guys out the front on a level of play that I am unlikely ever to reach, and there'll be a few mid-pack or trailers that I am relatively even with.
It's the close running with those later guys that I enjoy :)

The track being played makes a big difference too.
In a 7 player tour yesterday I got third, third, last, first, DNF.
I hate Sol2 and Chenghou Project on phantom. But I can pull an absolute BLINDER on Metropia reverse :D

SaturnReturn
21st March 2009, 11:42 PM
subtotal - it may just be the motion control. I rarely hit perfect laps, although ahve been doing so more often recently. But if you think about it then you have to make a bigger physical motion that those not using motion control. This will take longer to do, so it makes sense that at faster speeds in phantom, where fast reaction is often imperitive, you will struggle more. That doesn't mean to say you should give up motion control - just that it may take a while longer or a lot more effort.

Maybe try it without motion control for a bit and see if it's easier?

subtotal
22nd March 2009, 09:50 AM
I just accept that I'll never be as good as some of the guys on here and have fun instead :D

the fun element is missing at the moment

The track being played makes a big difference too.

this is tue lion SC reverse ,S2 reverse , UM reverse are the ones making tear my hair out , when i'm hosting dont expect to see these tracks pop up,i'll be practising these privately

Maybe try it without motion control for a bit and see if it's easier?

theres no going back for me now , this week i have changed my motion sensor up to 100% from 80% so this is taking a bit of getting used to ,i dont need to move the controller around as much as you may think

i can hit perfect laps on phantom occasionally,i know its going to be a case of practice -practice -practice ,i must'nt forget how far i've come ,playing the top players on phantom is never gonna be easy but it gets really annoying when i come off the track on a bend i've been around hundreds of times before -there really is no room for error at this level and i'm finding it very frustrating atm

yeldar2097
22nd March 2009, 11:15 AM
well you've definately improved a lot since the last time a raced you. granted, it was on sol2 (the video that nobody knows about :P) but i still reckon you've improved.

i think all it boils down to is unreal amounts of practice.
even the best can't hit perfect laps all the time, just go onto youtube. maybe wellington can, i've never seen things from his perspective but it's not all about perfect laps.
keep up the good work you crazy motion-user :D

subtotal
22nd March 2009, 01:03 PM
(the video that nobody knows about :P)

heh heh, lets keep it that way please yeldar

I know what you mean subby :p

I've been more confident flying AG systems on phantom

great advice cat i'm loving the AG-S ,it feels like its steering itself around the track after using the piranha so much

stinkleroy
23rd March 2009, 02:56 PM
I'm glad you decided to give it a go! I tried to stick with my Icacras for phantom but failed miserably. I think a change of ship can really help, especially if you pilot a ship with sub-standard handling like the pirhana. I like the AG a lot :D

Mateo
24th March 2009, 02:57 AM
http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/images/avatars/wipeout_pure/ag_sys_good.png

whats written under the the logos? for the good of "???"
i just can't read it...:paperbag

rdmx
24th March 2009, 05:30 AM
For the good of mankind :)

kanar
24th March 2009, 07:31 AM
Subtotal, you rock. No doubts about your skills. I find myself Wipeout as the hardest game ever. I don't know exactly but maybe that's why I can't play another game. I have a dream (lol) that one day, I'll be able to perform phantom perfect laps on demand, with all the BR stuff indeed, even drunk. Because a phantom perfect lap is kind of hypnotic!!! I tried last night, didn't work yet. Maybe in 10 years, with practice. Really, this is not a simple videogame. I tried something I've never tried too: I played venom, flash & rapier online. WTF when you go back to phantom you're really scared by the speed!!! But this is just a feeling. You can handle phantom like any other class. With a lot of--I should say YEARS OF, in my case-- practice, of course.

Lion
24th March 2009, 10:05 AM
tonight I got my very first phantom perfect lap :D
in time trials I can now get perfect laps on metropia reverse about 40% of the time at rapier speed :)
so satisfying to see myself improving!

Danterich
24th March 2009, 11:21 AM
Well done mate, i hope you´ve set pilot-assist off;)

yeldar2097
24th March 2009, 12:13 PM
here comes yeldar2097 with yet another question: is there a way i can make my playlist tracks play at roughly the same volume because i keep having to adjust the sound depending on what song is playing. some are like mice, some are like bombs, it's really annoying.
thanks for any help :)

Mateo
24th March 2009, 12:52 PM
Isn't there an option in the menus to automatically adjust the volume of songs in the playlist? I think there is one, but I never used it and can't say if it works well as I just hear complete albums during I play.

For the good of mankind :)

Thank you insertcoin! I still see there just norwnd or something like that, but at least now I know whats it supposed to be.:D

Darkdrium777
24th March 2009, 01:13 PM
There is indeed an option, although I as well have no idea if it works or not.

Lion
24th March 2009, 10:10 PM
I have that option turned on, and while most of my music is OK, underworld - cowgirl is almost inaudibly quiet

Hellfire_WZ
24th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Mateo: You should see what I thought it said!

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1545&page=2

Mateo
25th March 2009, 12:39 AM
:lol:lol:lol

Had to look it up at urbandictionary.com, but thanks to you I learned a new english word.:g

subtotal
25th March 2009, 01:29 AM
Subtotal, you rock. No doubts about your skills.

merci mon ami , i'll send you an application form for my fan club ,heh heh

anyone who host's for 2 days staight is a living legend in my book, (all the avalon crew are)

see you at the weekend so i can kick your french arse ;)

subtotal
25th March 2009, 01:34 AM
tonight I got my very first phantom perfect lap :D

nice work man

Lion
25th March 2009, 12:41 PM
does anyone else think the icaras engine note sounds like the great and powerful hypnotoad (http://r33b.net/)?

eLhabib
25th March 2009, 12:54 PM
OH. MY. GOD.
I never noticed - always felt it sounded like a WWII bomber, but now that you brought up hypnotoad, the resemblance is striking! :eek

Lance
26th March 2009, 07:09 PM
It ought to sound like the old record-setting X-15 rocketplane.

Vartazian
29th March 2009, 07:25 AM
somehow I got a Time of 1.25.08 on Ven K Forward with Feisar... The world record is 1.41.03... How do I erase my time? I dont even recall getting that time...

Anybody that can help?

(I hope this is the right thread)

Darkdrium777
29th March 2009, 08:39 AM
You can't erase the time. I have a time of 25.xx for a full race on Metropia. It's stuck there. If it's not uploaded (Like me) all is good, if it is well thanks for saying it here.

yeldar2097
29th March 2009, 12:05 PM
yeah the game seems to log times if you quit a race halfway through or something.
basically if you want to see your actual best time, you need to switch it to global

mangaroo
31st March 2009, 01:15 AM
So i was getting frustrated playing elite on sol2 and so i started rapidly tapping the trigger buttons at the start of the race...suddenly the exposure increased (like you can do in photo mode) but it wasnt photo mode and i was able to race with the high exposure. I restarted the race and it was still the same! I have turned it off since and haven't checked if it's still there but i was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Took some photos if anyone is interested:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/th_004.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/?action=view&current=004.jpg) http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/th_007.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/?action=view&current=007.jpg) http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/th_012.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/mangaroot/?action=view&current=012.jpg)

The first one i was trying to prove i wasnt being an idiot and showing you images i got with photo mode so i turned on photomode to show you that the exposure setting was normal and yet it the bright areas were really bright. I'm not sure if it came across in the photos but at times i couldnt even see speed pads due to the brightness! At the time i thought i had unwittingly entered a secret combo for a cool effect but since it appears after i restart the race im not so sure.

Darkdrium777
31st March 2009, 03:33 AM
Known bug, still has not been fixed.

When a bomb explodes and you press start to restart the race at that exact moment, the high exposure effect created by the bomb will stick. This happens on all tracks. The only way to correct it is to go back to the main menu.

mangaroo
31st March 2009, 08:02 AM
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

stinkleroy
31st March 2009, 12:44 PM
Well it's random and HD related so I thought I'd ask here. Has anyone, like me, totally deformed their thumb from playing too much wipeout?

My left thumb is now kind of off centre and has a build up of lovely callous skin (shouldn't happen to ladies!).

I even managed a blister last week.....:o

Darkdrium777
31st March 2009, 01:51 PM
Some people afaik yes, but I never had this problem.
I've used a pen 'incorrectly' for years and only developed a small callous. Although to compensate I get dry skin every winter... :|

yeldar2097
31st March 2009, 02:37 PM
your left thumb?? crazy :P
mine's my right thumb underneath the 1st knuckle; looks completely different in 'profile' view. nice callous giong on as well :lol

stinkleroy
31st March 2009, 03:19 PM
Yep my steering thumb :o....guess thats what I get for switching to the analog stcik.

I just couldn't get BR's right with the d-pad...shame as it's my preferred method of flight

GreenPhazon
31st March 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm the opposite, I fly much better with the stick than the dpad, but barrel rolling is much more precise with the dpad. Usually, I have to make like I'm shaking off a zombie to do a BR with the stick.

LOUDandPROUD
31st March 2009, 04:00 PM
Yah, as I think I mentioned to you before, Cat, I also have callous brewing on my left thumb...barely have sensation in the tip anymore. I'd say my thumb shield is about a 90 right now. :P

yeldar2097
31st March 2009, 05:05 PM
Yep my steering thumb :o....guess thats what I get for switching to the analog stcik.
I'm a stick user too though... maybe far too much nintendo as a child helped my left thumb become super hardcore :lol
still prefer the pad though...

stinkleroy
1st April 2009, 12:47 PM
That could very well be it Yeldar, my era of nintento had a d-pad and two buttons hehe, and before that it was a joystick...ah the good old spectrum, I'm showing my age here!

@ L&P - Thumb shield hahaha :g

RJ O'Connell
2nd April 2009, 04:22 PM
I use the analog stick for barrel rolls. It feels quicker for me. Plus I already use analog steering so there's no sense in reaching up on the controller.

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 04:31 PM
i do remember (back in the day) when i was trying to beat zico and still hadn't mastered the stick, i used to switch to my index and middle fingers on the pad for the BR onto the overpass.

Question: Autopilot or speedpad?

Darkdrium777
2nd April 2009, 07:12 PM
If you mean "Should I take the speedpad and drive myself or use an Autopilot?", it depends on the situation. In some instances, the Autopilot is actually way faster than anybody else, while in other cases it actually slows you down.
One place for example where it is faster is right after the magstrip on Metropia Reverse. Deactivate it after the first left corner, because at the second corner it slows down.

leungbok
2nd April 2009, 07:22 PM
An autopilot just after the br of the big jump of chengou ! It takes perfectly the chicane and hits the double speedpad ;)

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 08:51 PM
well yeah there are definately some choice locations for using an AP. maybe i should try to make a list...somehow...

example situation: AP misses the speedpad after the last corner on metropia forward, so is it still faster?
i wish AP just hit all the speedpads (and dodged mines), it would make life so much easier :P

Motorsagmannen
2nd April 2009, 09:51 PM
also on Aanulpha Pass in the chicane after the narrow section in the middle, the ap hits all three speedpads (out of four but i cant think of a viable way to do them all) and on speeds below phantom i like to use the ap on the last right left combination on moa therma, (hits both speedpads with a nice exitspeed)

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 10:06 PM
you can't hit all of those, the most you can get it 3, AP or not.

methinks tis faster to do a barrel roll there instead (moa therma). yes/no?

Motorsagmannen
2nd April 2009, 10:13 PM
yes thats what i do on phantom but on rapier or below i can never get enough lift without a turbo :P

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 10:31 PM
sideshift is your friend ;) once you get it nailed you can even do it in venom

Motorsagmannen
2nd April 2009, 10:42 PM
yes... sideshifting... lol xD
ive never sideshifted volentaerely in my life any pointers on how train for it?
i know sideshifting is the key to race against the best on phantom but im totally clueless :S

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 10:49 PM
tap the brake twice ;)

umm...just force yourself to do it as much as possible (even on straight bits) and eventually you'll get how/when to use it :)

Motorsagmannen
2nd April 2009, 11:19 PM
ok thnx for the help, appreciate it. i guess my piloting is temporarily going down the drain but if it means that i will finally be able to sideshift i guess its worth it.
:nod

as for random question about something completely different.

am i the only pilot that finds sol2 reverse to be easier than forward?

yeldar2097
2nd April 2009, 11:51 PM
no you aren't the only one. i also tend to do much better on reverse, maybe because other people find it harder, i dunno...

lunar
3rd April 2009, 08:35 AM
It`s interesting you mention sideshifting for the BR on Moa. Does anyone think sideshifting causes the ship to gain height on turns, compared to normal braking, or is it just that with sideshift you can go faster so the ship naturally flies higher? In Pure I didn`t notice sideshift having this effect, but I wondered about it since Pulse, where sideshift seemed to cause some very mad air time, such as last corner of Platinum Rush white. But I wonder if it`s the sideshift actually causing the lift to happen.

zargz
3rd April 2009, 09:18 AM
In multiplayer do you see the other racers BR as we did in Pure(but not in Pulse)?

yeldar2097
3rd April 2009, 10:10 AM
@lunar: well i've actually gotten into the habit of sideshifting right in order to catch the speedpad. i reckon it's faster to ss left as you hit the pad but i haven't really tried that much. it's true what you say about getting air with ss's, quite handy for getting BR's if you've messed up your line a little :)

@zargz: no i believe you dont, you just see the other ships zooming away into the distance when they do BR :P

LOUDandPROUD
3rd April 2009, 04:34 PM
am i the only pilot that finds sol2 reverse to be easier than forward?

Apparently, the answer is no, but I definitely do better on Sol 2 F.

mic-dk
3rd April 2009, 09:01 PM
AP on Metropia Reverse

Deactivate it after the first left corner, because at the second corner it slows down.

Wait, wait... How do you deactivate a running Autopliot? Absorb?

Darkdrium777
3rd April 2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, press O.

yeldar2097
3rd April 2009, 10:06 PM
very handy if you happen to spot someone laying some lovely mines in front of you :)
now if only you could do it with shields (by which i mean cancel an active shield)

Motorsagmannen
3rd April 2009, 10:13 PM
i had a sudden rush off relief the first time i discovered that the AP could be turned off,before that i always saw the AP as a liability. but when your able to use the AP on just that one or two corners where its faster, it can be really useful. ( most of the time i get it i use it for 3 secs or less if i dont absorb it for shield)

yeldar2097
3rd April 2009, 10:59 PM
very true. one of my faves is on chenghou for the hairpin. BR --> activate AP for the hairpin--> deactivate in mid-air after the ledge --> BR -->:g

mic-dk
4th April 2009, 07:50 AM
Dang, I never knew... :paperbag

I also mostly considered AP a liabillity and only used on particular tracks and corners where I know it won't get me into trouble for 4 seconds.

Thanks!

Lion
4th April 2009, 10:42 AM
after the first mag strip on metropia forward it's quicker to use AP than any line that I have managed to take

yeldar2097
4th April 2009, 11:18 AM
only one magstrip on metropia forward :)
but yeah it will seem faster because AP give you a slight speed boost as well as not really slowing down for corners. BUT in this case you can beat it by doing a BR onto the speedpad (left-hander before the mini straight). you can also get a BR coming off the magstrip ;)

if you meant moa therma then yes it takes a good line through there but it is beatable (by way of the shortcut+BR). bit of a pain to pull off every time though so i'll agree with you on this one :P

hopefully my ramblings made sense ;)

Lion
4th April 2009, 12:50 PM
yes I meant moa therma
I also locked my keys in my car today.. it's been one of those

zargz
4th April 2009, 10:00 PM
How about the starting order in multiplayer - is it still random after the first race?

mic-dk
4th April 2009, 10:36 PM
If it's a tournament, then no. If it's another single race, then yes.

yeldar2097
4th April 2009, 11:07 PM
although you will find that sometimes the system gets stuck so the same people will be up front all the time.
nothing's perfect i guess :lol

KIGO1987
5th April 2009, 09:47 AM
yes I meant moa therma
I also locked my keys in my car today.. it's been one of those

You know what i do. Keep a spare key in your wallet in the coin pocket or slide it behind your drivers license slot. So if you lock your keys in in can still get back into the car.

blackwiggle
5th April 2009, 10:03 AM
Or in you case Kigo ,climb in from where the rear windshield used to be.

KIGO1987
5th April 2009, 04:06 PM
error - 469

Lion
5th April 2009, 08:47 PM
my car is a convertible
so saying I locked my keys in it, means I locked them in the boot (trunk for you americans) which can only be opened with a key.
and my wallet is just a small metal thing the right size for cards. so I can't fit a key in there.

So I locked my keys in the car.. I called a friend to take me to where I'm staying to get my spare, but half way there realise that the house key is also in the boot of my car, and there is no spare outside the house.
We had to break into the house to get my spare car key so I could get back to the house.

KIGO1987
5th April 2009, 10:01 PM
error - 471

Motorsagmannen
6th April 2009, 01:30 AM
ooh man Lion, thats some story. im not going to ask how you managed that, simply cause ive been there and defo done that. :beer but my only point was really this:
i can relate, and hope everything is turning out ok for you

Lion
6th April 2009, 05:00 AM
...you dont get mountains like that in Aus...
those mountains are likely the ones in the south island. I'm in the north island :)

and I suggest you watch the use of racist terms if you don't wanna get banned for a while :P

djKyoto
6th April 2009, 06:56 AM
I've driven a Targa Supercharged MR2 across the south island once (after traveling north to buy the car).

It was so awesome. 8)

zargz
6th April 2009, 11:33 AM
If it's a tournament, then no. If it's another single race, then yes.I see.
So if in a tournament the winner of the first race gets to start the second race first or last?

mic-dk
6th April 2009, 11:53 AM
The winner get to start last, number two, starts 7th ond so - you know, to even things out :)

KIGO1987
6th April 2009, 12:43 PM
Who's the man that gave me neg rep for my post on the last page. Comment said '****ing cracker' still it was highlighted red:| WTF

leungbok
6th April 2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe a new "bling brigade" member :rolleyes:

KIGO1987
6th April 2009, 01:48 PM
Should i look at the Blinge Brigade thread to find my answer?

leungbok
6th April 2009, 05:13 PM
Don't know mate, just a way of saying that some people aren't very courteous even in this great site !

NeilSmith
10th April 2009, 02:19 PM
2 questions;

I just won a race where the 2nd and 3rd place had the same time I think it was 01:38, how come one guy came 2nd and the other guy with the exact time came 3rd? It didn't go alphabetacially for sure.

My other question is this; since you only get one badge at the end of a race, and you obviously can earn more than one, what decides what badge is shown at the end of a race? are they ranked by how hard they are to obtain? or is it decided by the first badge you get?

LOUDandPROUD
10th April 2009, 05:12 PM
Regarding your second question, I was wondering the same thing while I was playing last night. Would love to get an answer to that!

silverfoxy
10th April 2009, 06:07 PM
I am curious as well. I haven't got a plasmafier yet and took someone out with one earlier on rev VinK but I got the destroyer badge at the end. Wasn't happy.

Sure I saw someone get a Perfection badge which I presume is for doing the whole race perfectly. I got round 3.5 laps of Rev Moa earlier and a missile got me and made me clip a wall. Was disappointed.

yeldar2097
10th April 2009, 11:15 PM
might be to do with which ones are 'ranked' higher or are more valuable. i tried to get the badge for winning with the least amount of BRs but got pacifist instead (what a ****ing surprise)

multibodydynamics
11th April 2009, 10:25 AM
I always get that stupid pacifist badge... it is starting to get a bit annoying. Perhaps I have to slow down a little... :lol

yeldar2097
11th April 2009, 04:11 PM
maybe you can race me so that we can both stop getting it. i get it about 85% of the time, its insane

LOUDandPROUD
11th April 2009, 08:15 PM
And I get the speed pad badge about 85% of the time...booooriiiing.

YouAreFubar
20th April 2009, 10:19 PM
NeilSmiths points:

Ive also beat someone even though weve had the same time. Got exactly the same time as another racer, online I was just behind him but this was probably down to lag and I beat him to 3rd place and he was relegated to 4th. We had a laugh about it but theres no clear reason as to why.

It would be nice to know the answer to the second point, I seem to be getting the speed pad badge most of the time as well. I just dont spend enough time firing weapons, I tend to absorb most of my pick ups so I get more energy for barrel rolls!

yeldar2097
21st April 2009, 12:18 AM
i think it might be that whoever is placed higher has a slightly faster time but the game doesn't display times in the .001's. I think that's also why in speed lap it will sometimes say 'new lap record' even if you get what seems to be the same time :)

Vartazian
21st April 2009, 12:37 AM
yeah that has happened to me on SL's

Heres a Question, How do (or can) you make custom playlists instead of forcing the music to play by album/artist?

yeldar2097
21st April 2009, 12:41 AM
how do you mean? like having your own music in game or doing something with your in-game music?

Vartazian
21st April 2009, 12:52 AM
For instance, I can only select tracks by their album. So Default has all the normal defalut songs like Stanton Warriors, DJ Fresh etc etc.

But When I got o pick my songs I can only listen to Certain albums like JUST Fall out boy or JUST KoRn. I was wondering if I could make a custom playlist and just listen to that. A little Fall out Boy and a Little Korn and a little bit of whatever else I want. Etc.

Understand now?

yeldar2097
21st April 2009, 01:00 AM
well if your music is on your PS3 (as opposed to being on external storage) then you just go to 'music' in the XMB and at/near the top there should be a 'creat new playlist' icon. not sure what the song limit is but it's pretty decent. then you just select the playlist in the 'audio' section of the WOHD option menu.
hopefully i got the right end of the stick :P if not then i'm not sure what you mean....

Vartazian
21st April 2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks dude! I cant believe I hadnt tried that yet. I feel like a complete moron!

+rep 4 u!

Thanks again!

stinkleroy
21st April 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure of the song limit but I've got at least 120 songs on my wipeout playlist, can't believe you've been forced to listen to the same set of songs over and over, poor you :o

yeldar2097
21st April 2009, 10:56 AM
i know i've asked this before but i'm still really annoyed that i have to try and changethe volume mid-race because some of my tracks are inaudible even though when i play them in xmb they are all fine. :angryeldar:bomb

stinkleroy
21st April 2009, 11:03 AM
I dunno yeldar, thankfully I don't have that problem, although since the new update I have encountered no music at all during races, it happens quite frequently now :?:

I like your emoticon :p

yeldar2097
21st April 2009, 11:05 AM
every so often i get no music durin a race but i had that before the patch so it may well just be a dodgy song or something. really destroys the atmos when you're cruising around a silent ubermall. also makes me race like **** :(

stinkleroy
21st April 2009, 11:08 AM
I never had it before the patch but it happens a lot now, it just makes me feel uneasy...when you can hear the ghostly Triakis engine right behind you it's enough screw your racing through total fear haha

GreenPhazon
21st April 2009, 03:31 PM
I always had little gaps between songs before the patch but now I can clear half a lap before the next track starts.