PDA

View Full Version : Does the tiny font look any better on a 1080 screen?

jweaver
26th September 2008, 12:58 PM
I am running WipeoutHD in 720, as my screen is only a 768 model.

Everything looks great, but the tiny fonts look a bit strange.. If you look at an 'H' for example.. One of the Vertical lines is thin.. But the other is thick.

It looks similar to what you get on an LCD PC monitor if you get the resolution wrong.

I am assuming that this is because the ENTIRE game is rendered in 1080. Can someone with a 1080 screen confirm whether the tiny fonts look correct?

Jon

The Gracer
26th September 2008, 01:00 PM
Game is perfect on my Acer 24' computer monitor, running at 1080p. fonts are perfectly legible.

Skvall
26th September 2008, 01:01 PM
Its because your TV is scaling the image to the correct resolution, yes. Cant be helped I guess.

Cant your TV receive 1080p signals? I have a 1366*768 that can handle 1080p signals and scaling from that instead of down to 720p and then up again to 768 is better most of the time I guess.

jweaver
26th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Only 1080i I am afraid!

But when I put it in 1080 a while back as a test, the XMB got even smaller... I have a 50" Plasma so this isn't a problem but i like the look of the XMB in 720.

I am not worried about the font.. I just figured that the front end would be rendered to match the output resolution, rather than being locked at 1080.

Don't get me wrong.. its not illegible by any means.. But it doesn't look quite right!

Jon

Skvall
26th September 2008, 01:23 PM
You have to live with it. The lines across the screen in XMB (when pressing the home-button for example) is not exactly the same for me because of the scaling. One is a little bit thicker than the other one.

It would be nice if the Ps3 could send 1360*768, like xbox 360 can.

jweaver
26th September 2008, 01:44 PM
Interesting.. I don't have that problem with the XMB (atleast I have never noticed it).. My XMB looks perfect, so I am quite happy leaving it in 720.

Everything (including WipeOut) looks stunning, but I do wonder how much better it would look in 1080!

Skvall
26th September 2008, 01:52 PM
The lines are thin in 1080p resolution, thats why. They are more equal if I use 720p resolution, but I dont want to do that. :] Scale wipeout two times when you can do it only once is kind of unnecessary hehe.

I think the game looks about the same on my 40" 1366*768 compared to the 37" 1920*1080 my friend has.
And that is on about 2m distance.

Lion
26th September 2008, 01:53 PM
having taken my ps3 to work this afternoon to play on a different screen... the difference is noticeable, but not dramatic

home tv: 36" 1366x768 that I run at 720p
work tv: 40" 1920x1080 that I ran at 1080p (yay, native!)

I don't know how much running it at native resolution was responsible for the improvement vs just having more pixels.

I haven't tried setting it to 1080 at home and letting the TV scale it down. might be worth a look.
I've always just gone with 720p and let the TV scale it up.

edit:
if you are running wipeout at 720p, it's not being rendered at 1080 and scaled down to that size. it doesn't work that way.
all the 3d stuff is just rendered at the chosen resolution (1280x720) and the flat stuff like menu text is either vector art (no loss of quality with the PS3 doing the scaling) or a texture which the PS3 resizes accordingly. but we have no way of knowing which method is in use, nor (if a texture) whether it's scaled up or down.
regardless of the options from the above, it's only really being scaled once, by the TV only.

jweaver
26th September 2008, 03:02 PM
Unless I am misunderstanding you, this doesn't appear to be the case.. My TV is 768 and my PS3 is set to 720.

I can view all sizes of text and one pixel = one pixel.. Even text which is made up of lines one pixel wide look perfect.

However, in WipeOut, there is a particular font which looks bad.. The spacing between characters vairies between 1 pixel and none.. And the vertical lines are either 1 or 2 pixels. It looks EXACTLY how a PC monitor looks when you get the resolution wrong...

If this were down to the rescaling (in my case UPscaling) done on my TV, then I would see it in all games.. But I don't.. I only see it in Wipeout.

So, it appears that this is down to how the scaling is down by the game, or by the PS3 itself!

Jon