PDA

View Full Version : SIXAXIS for Barrel Rolls ONLY

Wip3ou7
26th September 2008, 09:48 AM
I would kill for this option. Doing BRs with the SIXAXIS is cake, but you have to be playing with full motion enabled to do it. If SL could put in an option so that SIXAXIS is used for nothing except BR's (or maybe also Pitch+BR) then that would save my thumb from some serious cramping. What do you guys think?

rushin
29th September 2008, 02:47 PM
thats not a bad idea you know..

would have replied sooner but you thread was buried, it's monday afternoon and i cant be arsed to do anymore work, hence obsessive interwebs browsing and finding it :pirate

SouthendRage
29th September 2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, with the 5 rolls you have to do on Anulpha pass to beat Zico's time. Let me say my thumb did hurt quite a bit after all that:-, also it'll feel a little more natural to shake the control to do a BR.

Good idea methinks.... 'Thumbs' up :P Yay I made a funny :P

blackwiggle
29th September 2008, 04:22 PM
I would kill for this option. Doing BRs with the SIXAXIS is cake, but you have to be playing with full motion enabled to do it. If SL could put in an option so that SIXAXIS is used for nothing except BR's (or maybe also Pitch+BR) then that would save my thumb from some serious cramping. What do you guys think?

There is a really simple and cheap way to make doing BR's both a LOT easier to achieve and make Playstation thumb a thing of the past.
N
l
W--l--E
l
S
Just put a little blob of Blu-Tac or similar removable hobby putty on the East and West sides of the D-Pad,make sure the pad is free of hand/finger grease beforehand otherwise it will keep slipping off.

Sorry but my haphazard representation of a D-Pad using a keyboard doesn't look the same posted as it does in preview,but I think you can generally grasp what the diagram is supposed to represent.

I think you will be amazed at the difference this makes to just how incredibly easy this makes BR's

Enjoy.:D

Flashback Jack
29th September 2008, 04:48 PM
What do we call this one? Wiggletech? :)

- F

mdhay
29th September 2008, 04:52 PM
I think this is a good idea, Wip3ou7, but I would prefer if you had to click the sticks down to execute one, since you can't accidentaly click them.

blackwiggle
29th September 2008, 05:12 PM
What do we call this one? Wiggletech? :)

- F

I prefer The Wigqulizer.........It even things up for the decrepit old WO players who are having trouble pulling off BR's when ever they want to.

Watching those nimble fingered barrel rolling young'uns fly past you when your playing online,I thought I'd even things up a bit.:pirate

Lance
29th September 2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, I see a whole new Jaytech tape scandal/controversy looming over the zone. :eek :bomb

[runs for the bourbon bottle in the fallout shelter]
[aaaaaahh][calm bliss]

Wip3ou7
29th September 2008, 08:40 PM
My personal trade secret for keeping d-pad barrel roll consistency high: I wrap the tip of my thumb with a Band-Aid. This makes for extremely slick d-padding (BRs are much easier) and keeps your thumb from getting sore. You guys can use that trick, just remember who to give credit to ;P

I would still like a different method for BRs though.

Lance
29th September 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh, hell, now we've got modified players instead of just modified controllers. :dizzy

captaingrim
29th September 2008, 09:55 PM

I remember suggesting a few times to deaf, yet extremely sensible, ears that barrel rolls should be triggered by throwing the controller in the air. If you could spin it 360 degrees within a certain time and catch it level, it would trigger. It would have naturally stopped BRs being overused because the penalty for mistiming it would have been certain lap-wreckage...

I though it was a cool idea anyway... Would have brought some extra profit in for Sony as well through all the replacement controllers....

(you can probably see why I was an gfx programmer and not a designer...)

Flashback Jack
29th September 2008, 10:02 PM

As a person that can pretty much will out a barrel roll, anywhere and at any time (including off the one inch drop on Vertica White in Pulse), I wouldn't, and that's what this whole barrel roll argument boils down to -- the concerns of those that find it difficult doing them consistently set against those that don't.

- F

eLhabib
30th September 2008, 08:14 AM
Oh you're so cool. Why can't I be like you...

tssshhh... :rolleyes: seriously, that's NOT the problem with BRs.

Skvall
30th September 2008, 08:19 AM
captaingrim: I like it, especially this part "It would have naturally stopped BRs being overused". ^^

Sch@dows
30th September 2008, 08:34 AM
I would kill for this option. Doing BRs with the SIXAXIS is cake, but you have to be playing with full motion enabled to do it. If SL could put in an option so that SIXAXIS is used for nothing except BR's (or maybe also Pitch+BR) then that would save my thumb from some serious cramping. What do you guys think?Since I'm playing with the Analog stick, I don't have any problems with my thumb, but I must admit that doing BR by leaning the controller would be very interesting even when Motion sensor is not activated.

Yet, I continue to think that "pitch" is part of the overall control of the ship and should be kept as it is now.

PS : The more I read captaingrim posts, the more I laught thinking of wipeout development. Meetings should have been very fun >_<

captaingrim
30th September 2008, 08:35 AM
They didn't let me in the meetings :( They very rarely let me out of my cage :( :(

Skvall
30th September 2008, 08:36 AM
Maybe thats a good thing? Otherwise we would have gotten the game for christmas, 2009. :D

(my job sucks, so everyones job have to suck! hehe..)

Sch@dows
30th September 2008, 08:46 AM
... indeed (for the christmass thing).

Well there should be jobs worse than being involved in a wipeout dev ^_~ (Skvall's for example)