PDA

View Full Version : FUTURISTIC RACERS

JABBERJAW
21st August 2002, 02:36 AM
Has anyone played a game by sega(arcade) called motor raid, or a game by midway called hyperdrive? There is also a hover game by atari a few years back but I forgot the name if anyone knows. I am compiling a list of futuristic racers. If anyone knows any not too well known racers, please list them here and what platform they are for. I am not looking for games like wipeout or f-zero, but more like games such as scorcher or cyberspeedway,ect

Task
21st August 2002, 04:24 AM
The futuristic "hover" Atari game you're thinking of is probably... STUN Runner!
I threw SO many quarters into that game until I beat it...
My favourite part was how when you ran over, like, 5 boost pads in a row, you'd year the pilot yell out in this cowboy accent "Yeeeeee-Haawwwww!!!"
That was my first motiviation to hit as many boost pads as possible, at the time "speed" was merely a secondary concern. 8 )

Synthetic Consciousness
21st August 2002, 04:25 AM
Didn't Hyperdrive take place in space, and had a yoke controller with thumb triggers that controlled the flaps? I vaguely recall playing that one in an arcade at an amusement park once. The game by Atari I think you're talking about is S.T.U.N. Runner [S.T.U.N.=Sub Terranian Underground Network]; one of my favorite games. I wonder why a version of that game was never released for the Genesis? A decent port of Pit-Fighter was made for it; I bet S.T.U.N. Runner would have been just about arcade-perfect. And since Atari is the current subject, it seems, what about Badlands, and lest we forget, the classic Roadblasters?

As long as we're reminiscing about games of this type, anyone remember Bally Sente's Night Stocker, or Exidy's Death Race? (or the NES version which was way different and darker)? Or how about Zero Gravity Race or Tunnel Vision for the Commodore 64? Or Tunnels of Armageddon for the Apple IIc & IIGS?

I remember actually finding and playing a Death Race machine a long time ago in a bowling alley, of all places. At the time, I thought that the goal of the game was to avoid running over the stick figures. It was a long time before I actually found out the true goal of the game...

Task
21st August 2002, 04:53 AM
Wow, what were the chanced of that happening?
This is far from the first time I've seen it happen, too.
Well, any time I see two people replying to the same post with the same answer at the same time, one thing can be said for sure: this board is alive and well. 8 )

BTW, I am, and have been, surfing with Opera for over a month now. Opera: Rox.

Hybrid Divide
21st August 2002, 11:04 PM
Has anyone played Vapor TRX? Look up some info on it. It's one of the best futuristic arcade racers I've ever played. STUN Runner was also great, as was Roadblasters. I haven't been able to play all 3 in years.....

Vagrant Logic OUT

Lance
22nd August 2002, 02:09 AM
Jay: yes indeed! Opera kicks the posterior of ALL those other guys!

glad to see another convert!

Wiseman
26th August 2002, 08:49 AM
On Cyber Speedway, the Japanese version was called Gran Chaser, in case you didn't know.

jmoid
26th August 2002, 07:05 PM
i'm operatic as well :)

jet ion GP on the PS2 id a future-set racer. you race following a flat band of light that powers your ship. it could have quite a cool game but it has a very slow frame-rate (on the pal version at least) which makes it almost unplayable.

JABBERJAW
26th August 2002, 11:19 PM
I believe this is hresvelgr in japan, but not positive. Was it fun at all?

AmigoJack
27th August 2002, 12:26 AM
dont forget
- dethkarz
- killer loop
- pod

and for giving a rare one: there was a hover-clone on saturn named "aerogauge" or sth like this...

Synthetic Consciousness
27th August 2002, 04:28 AM
How could I have forgotten Pod? Used to have it on the old computer. :-? Nice graphics, but I didn't like the way it handled. Aero Gauge was for the N64. I remember playing it in a store display a long time ago. I've never played Jet Ion, but speaking of the craft you control being fixed on a beam of light; how about the less-than-spectacular CyberSpeed for the PSX? At least the commecials in it were funny...the first time around. After that, they just get lame. On the other hand, how about the old Activision classic, Beamrider? Ah, the memories... 8)

Myke_AG_Sys™
27th August 2002, 04:33 PM
I played Pod on my cousin's computer years ago....I loved it! I didn't quite fancy the control of it much but it looked cool at the time!

AmigoJack
27th August 2002, 06:33 PM
aaaaaaaaaaand: for going back to the roots (i mean dos) - who knows "skyroads"? simple easy concept but kept me playing for hours!

Synthetic Consciousness
27th August 2002, 08:21 PM
Can't say I remember Skyroads, but it's freeware, now, so I think I'll check it out. :) I remember Powerdrome, though. I remember the control of that one gave me fits. :x

Lance
27th August 2002, 11:55 PM
damn, AJ beat me to it. i just downloaded Skyroads yesterday.

then there's always Ludorace3D, Ace Speeder, and um... Hovercraft Racing [insufficiently developed; the program crashes when you win. and it's slow], Hi-Octane, Tube, Cyberace.
and wasn't Slipstream 5000 a futuristic racer?

JABBERJAW
27th August 2002, 11:57 PM
thanks for the input. I didn't know some of the older titles before the psx. I'll have a ratings list on another thread

JABBERJAW
28th August 2002, 01:10 AM
just typed in 125 futuristic/combat games to be rated and my computer went offline. Bullcrap. I'll have to do it tommorrow :x

AmigoJack
28th August 2002, 08:40 AM
ah yeah HI-OCTANE. the music is so simple but good and the race feeling is also very selfish but cool somehow. but i never felt great competition when playing it - it makes fun but ive always won (i took that car that looked like the time machine from "back to the future")...

should play it again. oh - and that reminds me that there exists also a network-patch for it (pc) which i never tried yet...

Wamdue
28th August 2002, 09:55 AM
mmm, hi-octane theses some nostalgia...

jmoid
29th August 2002, 07:18 PM
I believe this is hresvelgr in japan, but not positive. Was it fun at all?
yeah it was ok - you fly free-flying craft but you have to stay next to a ribbon of light that powers the ship. but the frame rate is really bad - i don'y know if it's just the PAL conversion but it really sucks. i'd say it's worth having a look at.

Wiseman
30th August 2002, 09:45 AM
Hey Al, just to let you know, you forgot about "F-Zero 2" for the SNES in your "FUTURISTIC/COMBAT RACER RATINGS." topic list.

AmigoJack
30th August 2002, 02:38 PM
i dont know if anybody knows the PC game "thrust twist + turn". its a racer with rather "normal" vehicles, but also with the ability of drinving thru loops. due to this and the race places (other planets) or the backgrounds (big city) its a futuristic one. you could also download a track-editor to build something of your own from the official website (take 2)

Hydra XL
30th August 2002, 03:58 PM
u musn't forget Powerslide for the PC. that game owned you and your entire family in all sorts of ways.

JABBERJAW
30th August 2002, 11:17 PM
Is it possible to play f-zero 2 anywhere? How would I go about getting it?

Wiseman
2nd September 2002, 04:46 AM
Unless you find it on a ROM, you can't, it was made available only for a short time on Nintendo's Satellaview service(you know, the SNES add on that allowed you to play games online).

And since the Satellaview was only released in Japan, the game was too. So no cart version of it exists for that reason.

The only way I played it was because I found the ROM.

Also, on your list, you forgot Downforce for the PS2 (I think they made a GameCube version as well).

JABBERJAW
2nd September 2002, 11:11 PM
downforce if a combat or futuristic racer? If I send you a few cd's could you get me a copy of f-zero 2? Does it have two player support? how many more levels and ships?

Wiseman
3rd September 2002, 07:03 AM
Well, I only have the ROM of F-Zero 2(only way you can get it now), so I could email it to you (it's only about 416K zipped) if you want.

Anyway, I'm not to sure about the 2 player support, I know there is no split screen 2 player (at least not that I have seen) but it should support online play. If you have ZSNES, maybe we can try it sometime. ;)

All of the ships are new. The courses are different varations of the one's that appeared in the original F-Zero. Some of them are really intense, I personally like them more than the one's in F-Zero, but then again, I haven't played F-Zero enough to unlock all of the different varations of the courses yet.

Also, the ships have weight (they always felt so wieghtless to me in the original F-Zero) and you seem to have a little more control when you're in the air (holding down on the controller definitely makes you stay airborne longer, which will be a requirement to get good records on some of the tracks).

Anyway, on to Downforce, it was a futuristic version of the F1 sport. Basically, without the speed limitations and the safety stuff. The cars sported wild paintjobs and came packed with jet engines and the like.

Here's the offical website:
http://www.down-force.com/