PDA

View Full Version : QR

Wamdue
20th August 2002, 03:08 PM
wow, now I am completly convinced this game will be way better than Fusion , maybe even more fun than the previous games when it comes to speed sensation. oh my god... its so fast!!! and still it looks like in control and from what ive seen in the videos, the physics of the hovercrafts looks very very polished. Check out video 3 (scroll down) http://www.xbox.com/quantumredshift/default.htm , and in that video youre making 400kmph , and the site states that it can go as fast as 900kmph... mmmmm, also, the little peice of soundtrack you hear in the video sounds really good.

GJ nick, really eager to see the launch of this game now :)

xEik
20th August 2002, 03:22 PM
Didn't read much but I can remember some other enemy japanese sisters in the track I think :wink:

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Nick Burcombe
21st August 2002, 03:01 PM
Arial vs Arian - WO1

Abi vs Ami - QR

I must have a thing for Japanese Sisters beginning with A and only 1 letter difference in their names. :)

Nick

Nick Burcombe
21st August 2002, 03:06 PM
Incidentally - I'm setting up a QR Smartgroups at the moment just to give people a chance to chat about it. Mainly in action once the game is launched, but all are welcome of course. This is not a rival thing - it's just keeps the wipeoutzone - on topic. It's also somewhere to invite people from other groups to.

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/quantumredshift

It's not gonna be catagoriesed in the same way this is - more like a delay chat forum.

I wouldn't mind setting something like this up - after all this is possibly the best organised forum I've ever seen, but I probably won't have the time to maintain it.

Nick

infoxicated
21st August 2002, 09:21 PM
oooh the pressure!

oooh the toil!

oooh... what's he on about? Place runs itself almost! ;)

Nick Burcombe
22nd August 2002, 12:45 AM
LOL! You're getting sarcastic in your old age Foxxy. :)

Smartgroups does indeed run itself. That's why I've picked it - not a full time job. It won't be like a proper forum like the WOZone (which by the way, is possibly the best run/presented forum I've come across), but a kinda instant feedback forum for the 1st game. There is no way that a company the size of ours can afford the time for someone to look after fan-space on the internet. Smartgroups is ideal for the task in hand. Whether or not people get to it and actually post thier opinions is another thing. :)

How many other developers do you know that give you direct line into contributing and feedback? I can't think of Many (maybe knock the M off the start of that word). The reason I want people to start talking freely about it, is because sometimes you get almost TOO close to your own project and you can't see the wood for the trees. It's so hard to remain objective sometimes after putting your life and soul into a game, so why not keep an open ear for alternative views? I wanna hear what people hated and loved about it, so we can make better games.

I just hope that the "Seeds of Cynicism" haven't been planted too firmly now that you're in the industry Foxxy. Don't let it take root. Most people in this business are not totally cynical. Most of us still give a **** about the people that play our games. The whole reason I post on here as me and not under some fake name is so that people who like futuristic racers aren't just barking at shadows. You know what I mean.

Nick

Lance
22nd August 2002, 02:39 AM
Nick, you're thinking in a way that i like. the key enabler here is the smallness of the company. that's the thing that allows you to stay connected to the people who actually use a company's product or service. i have found that the bigger the company is that i have worked for, the less connection to their customers and to reality-in-general they have. the excellence of what is done is in almost directly reverse proportion to the size of the company. that goes for product, customer service, and employee relations.

and btw, if you are the founder and chief creative force of a company, never EVer sell controlling interest to anyone, ANYONE else. everything the founder stands for will be controverted in the name of 'sound business practice' and 'efficiency' and 'company survival' and every other catchphrase you can name. if control slips from the founder, the company hasn't survived anyway, might take a year or two or even ten, but even if the name stays the same; it will have become something else. if you're good at product creation but not at business management, hire a business manager who is your employee; never seek, nor accept unsought, cash input to your company at the cost of loss of control. if one does this, one's dream is gone. one's creation is gone. business history is littered with thousands upon thousands of examples where a company was taken from it's creator, and the vision of that creator is lost in mediocre mercantilism. don't let it happen to you.

official titles and offices mean nothing, only majority ownership of the company assures control.
and on that happy warning note, i bid you temporary adieu. :)

[damn, i take myself way serious]

Nick Burcombe
22nd August 2002, 09:46 AM
Lance - you know exactly what you're talking about and I've seen it happen too.

Fox - after re-reading your post, I think maybe I got a little too defensive. Maybe you were just saying that The Wipeoutzone runs it's self. My misunderstanding. I though you were being sarcastic. please accept my apologies. :) Beer and head strong conversation is generally not the way to appraoch a forum. Sorry dude. :)

Nick

infoxicated
22nd August 2002, 11:48 AM
Hell, man - there is no need to apologise - I was referring to this place, not your own efforts.

Besides... who knows... maybe QR will end up with a fan site just like this one :) *twinkle in eye*

Wamdue
22nd August 2002, 11:58 AM
nice, Im delighted that you are listening to feedback from the gamers, mostly, its way too hard to get in touch with the right ppl behind a game and if you do, they wont listen..

Now heres an oppinion.. fusion had a finland-team and a german. etc etc.. wheres the swedes?! ;)

Lance
22nd August 2002, 12:13 PM
[the winking continues]
there should be a team for the home country of every pilot in the wz forums. lessee now, uh... belgium, croatia, south africa, france, ireland, scotland, canada, u.s.a., australia, germany, italy, new york, england, wales, spain [well, it used to be represented till xEik moved, if you consider Catalunya to be part of Spain], portugal. finland, norway... damn, i can't think of any more,;surely i'm forgetting something....
;)

Wamdue
22nd August 2002, 02:45 PM
or the ability to create a character like any mmorpg out there, you know... hair-color, hair style, beard, etc etc.. and nationality

Spaceboy Gajo
22nd August 2002, 06:15 PM
or the ability to create a character like any mmorpg out there, you know... hair-color, hair style, beard, etc etc.. and nationality

Wamdue, that's sounds more like what the EA Sports line up does where you can create your own player. I would indeed love that and a career option.

I just love stats,

spaceboy gajo

FoxZero
22nd August 2002, 06:34 PM
*cough* level editor *cough*

Nick Burcombe
22nd August 2002, 11:46 PM
Cough splutter indeed!!!

Level editors are no small task. Especially on a console!

Most of the time the game will suffer from "VRally2 Syndrome".
Some would say that the game feels like less effort was put in and generally if the main game levels are done with the same tool it just comes across as dissapointing and uninspired.

Wouldn't you rather be optically entertained by the sheer skill and eye of our artists ;)
LOL

N

xEik
23rd August 2002, 12:53 AM
To Lance:

Since you like things being precise, New York is no country as far as I know. :wink:

I'm not really sure if Scotland, Wales and England are told countries in ENglish but I thought the country was Great Britain (although I know many welsh and Scottish people don't consider themselves Brittish). :roll:

About me moving, well my nationality stays the same although I live in France. The Catalan-Spanish issue was already dealt with somewhere, so no comment. :)

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
23rd August 2002, 03:39 AM
well, the welsh, scots, and north irish [ulsterians?] are u.k., but not english. they have always been very different from england, and i like to regard them as separate places. [could this have anything to do with my celtic ancestry? ;) ]

the country list was not intended to be exactly serious.

i expected wamdue to comment on my leaving out sweden.

and for new yorkers to comment on new york's decidedly different-from-the rest-of-the-country character

[note to self: develop type of humour that works as text] :D

sigh. i'm going to make breakfast now. [ i do not keep typical hours :o ]

Wamdue
23rd August 2002, 06:16 AM
i didnt realize it until you told me :o thats mean! ;)