PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand why WOHD got a 7.5 from GameSpot.

Wip3ou7
20th September 2008, 04:31 AM
These people are f'ing morons. Have these people even played a videogame before? Watch this video starting at 18:45. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/wipeout/video/6197917/on-the-spot--09-18-08?hd=1)

First off, the bimbo on the right has obviously never played a game before, she doesn't even know what the PS buttons are. And then she's all like "so you can use SIXAXIS although I think not many people like it", obviously she read that off of a que-card. And then she goes on saying that the soundtrack in HD is from Pure, and even says "I have no idea really but I'll say its from Pure" and then the douchey guy agrees with her. What the... /rant

"Duurrrr here's some game called wipeout hd. I guess we'll show it to you, why not? It's pretty. /drool Do you have a questions? Cuz we dont know ****. Durrr. Yep let's give it a 7.5"

mdhay
20th September 2008, 07:52 AM
+1:clap

I lol'ed so much.

Wip3ou7
20th September 2008, 08:19 AM
That is seriously the most pathetic coverage I have ever seen of a game. What the hell is wrong with those people? The guy was playing with Pilot Assist on and obviously had no idea how to control the ship (although he did admit to it)... Why did they even bother taking questions if they have no knowledge about the game to give an answer with?

Chill
20th September 2008, 08:51 AM
Totally agree... those reporter's fuc%!ng sucked!! How the hell... I mean aren't their jobs meant to make video games seem interesting to get it to sell so that they can hold their jobs??? Gamespot, if you want to stay around very long, get some freakin' professionals, not just some Joe-Schmoe guy and gal who's just their cause they're "neat people"... Just pisses me off that they made such a glorious game of what I consider to me one of the coolest games in EXISTANCE sound so lame... adding to a hitlist anybody? lol...

eLhabib
20th September 2008, 08:58 AM
Ever since Jeff Gerstman left GameSpot (and Ryan and Brad followed him), this site has been on a neverending downward spiral. I wouldn't believe a single word they're saying about games. :-

G'Kyl
20th September 2008, 09:16 AM
I mean aren't their jobs meant to make video games seem interesting to get it to sell so that they can hold their jobs???

No.

Seriously, NO!

If anything, a critic should get fired if he or she tells people to buy stuff they didn't like themselves. Gerstmann getting fired became "Gerstmanngate" because they fired him ALTHOUGH he was being honest, not because Gerstmann lied.

A good review is an honest opinion - nothing more, nothing less. And you might come to learn that the opinion of others differs from your own. We're fanboys, so we love WOHD. Tell you what: That's certainly fine with Guy Cocker. Let's just make sure it's fine the other way around as well.

Wip3ou7: Don't be surprised to find out that good scores are often given by people who know just as little about a game as the guys in the Gamesopt video. Funny how no fanboy ever cares about those.

Ben

Chill
20th September 2008, 09:21 AM
Okay well they should at least act like they know what they're talking about more than that to provide people with belief that what they said was probably true, and at that as their job, sucked... But I'm glad that they acted dumb, cause not many people are going to give much care to a dumb review...

eLhabib
20th September 2008, 09:21 AM
Ben, while you are certainly right that a good review should represent the reviewer's opinion, and nothing else, it is also important that a professional review represents an informed opinion. Having someone review a game which he simply isn't any good at and knows nothing about is not professional. Just hand it to someone else in the office, y'know? (then again, considering the current state of GameSpot, I'm not sure there are any other people in the office, apart from the cleaning lady :P)

Wip3ou7
20th September 2008, 09:32 AM
It's funny because I have seen alot of awesome debate-style preview videos for WOHD, like the preview at 1up.com. There was also another one but I cant remember where I found it at the moment. The 1up preview where the two guys are talking about the game on the street corner was awesome, you could tell that they really understood what wipeout was about and had respect for the game. I've probably watched that video over a hundred times waiting for this f'ing game to come out.

Hopefully there arent many gamers out there that still really listen to GameSpot...
I've noticed that GameSpot loves to **** all over a game's parade. This isn't the first time.

G'Kyl
20th September 2008, 09:52 AM
Ben, while you are certainly right that a good review should represent the reviewer's opinion, and nothing else, it is also important that a professional review represents an informed opinion.

Abso-effin-lutely!

Did you also notice the review editor wasn't in the video? :)

And even IF he were: We still wouldn't know anything about the circumstances or the time the video was produced.

Axel
20th September 2008, 10:02 AM
Very bad review TBH. But Gamespot has been going downhill lately. I mean compare that review with the majority and you can clearly see a huge discrepancy. I hope normal headed people don't read too much into it.

Chrono
20th September 2008, 10:27 AM
I spend a considerable amount of time surfing game sites and I treat them the same as television news channels. Some sites don't care if they seem biased or accurate, so you learned to look elsewhere for your information. GameSpot is a :turd. Perhaps it's because many game journalists don't think of themselves as such (in which I've heard jokes about on both Gametrailers and 1up). A multi billion dollar industry is guided to the public by the words of many a immature, sub culture, 20 something.

That review is reminiscent of a job a high school student would do, not professional who get paid for their time. It upsets me to see people who don't know their stuff in a position of importance, when those with knowledge are stuck torrenting games since they can't get work, especially within the industry they follow so closely.

Atom6x!
20th September 2008, 02:01 PM
The dude who demo'ed the game at "On the Spot" isn't the same guy who reviewed it, hell, he's not even in the same country. The way I read the article it seems like the only criticism he had was that the game used alot of old material and he, having played the PSP games, felt he would be paying for a game he'd played before.

The result is essentially an oxymoron--a game that's obviously meant for fans, but one that paradoxically gives them nothing they don't already have. If you're a fan of the series but missed the PSP games then HD is a must-buy, but Wipeout stalwarts could rightfully look at this director's cut as a bit of a cash-in.

I don't call that a negative review, I can see where he's coming from.

Yagya
21st September 2008, 08:01 AM
wow, talk about un-informed ditzes

Chill
21st September 2008, 08:22 AM
The 1up preview where the two guys are talking about the game on the street corner was awesome, you could tell that they really understood what wipeout was about and had respect for the game. I've probably watched that video over a hundred times waiting for this f'ing game to come out.

Haha me too!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDgX8Pqg6f8) ;)

Sugar_from_OTW
21st September 2008, 09:10 AM
1. The review was written by the gamespot UK, not the guys that did 'on the spot'.
2. From what I've read about the game, the review seems fair. It's the same score that they gave gt5:prologue, and that's a good game.
3. Having NOT played the game, can anyone actually find fault with the review itself? It's easy enough to complain about the score.

judus
21st September 2008, 09:41 AM
It doesn't matter. The game's on PSN. They mention the good price point yet it didn't click to them that this game is not a full retail release. So yes the material is recycled, but in what context? I mean its not like it was a copy and paste. Every aspect of the game seems to have been given a thorough overview that a sequel would traditionally receive.

Either way, I think the game is quite capable of selling itself without their "informed opinion".

ZenDJiNN
21st September 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the link Chill. Just had a watch & it's great. I love the way that they're so enthusiastic about it all and also really know what they're talking about. (Unlike the Gamespot review which was pretty lame).

Atom6x!
21st September 2008, 05:19 PM
This reminds me of all the Nintendo friends that went in to rage mode 2000 when Jeff Gerstmann gave Twilight Princess an 8.8, it's always fun to see how hardcore fans react to negative reviews.

A. He doesn't know what he's talking about (franchise history etc).
B. The website he's working for is not reliable, biased.
C. He's a piece of ****.

:P

Darkdrium777
21st September 2008, 06:01 PM
Looking at the erroneous title of one of his gameplay videos, I'd say A. is the most correct reason. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know on which track he's playing, so why should I trust his 7.5 score?

Frances_Penfold
21st September 2008, 06:20 PM
1. The review was written by the gamespot UK, not the guys that did 'on the spot'.
2. From what I've read about the game, the review seems fair. It's the same score that they gave gt5:prologue, and that's a good game.
3. Having NOT played the game, can anyone actually find fault with the review itself? It's easy enough to complain about the score.

My complaint with the review isn't the text per se-- which seems pretty reasonable in both its positive and negative points-- but with the score. Generally "7.5" scores are applied to games with glaring flaws in gameplay and graphics, ridiculous price points and/or an absurdly small (or bloated) amount of content. From what I can tell, Wipeout HD has none of these problems-- nor does GT5P.

Obviously, Gamespot has significant credibility problems in the wake of Gerstamann-gate and its new oversight by CNET management. Setting that aside for the moment, I think there is a certain pleasure that gaming journalists and editors take in making "bold" scores, either high or low, because it makes a statement to the industry and increases website hits as consumers track down exceptional reviews. Other examples include the "10" score applied to GTA4 (by IGN) as well as the "7.9" applied to Mario Kart Double Dash (also by IGN).

I do appreciate the reviews are subjective and that reviewers can (and should) have latitude to express their opinions. At the same time, IMHO, gaming journalists have a responsibility to the industry and to consumers to provide a balanced and thoughtful evaluation that is consistent with the criteria applied to other software, on other platforms, and by other critics. Providing exceptional reviews may in some cases be an act of bravery-- telling it "like it is"-- but more often I suspect it is vanity and greed.

BaldyCurly
21st September 2008, 08:05 PM
Well put buddy, well put!

Also, Gamespot have the average score from other sites as 8.5/10 with two reviews. Both of these reviews are shown as 9/10 so surly the average should be 9/10 not 8.5/10.

Task
21st September 2008, 11:31 PM
( 7.5 + 9 + 9 ) / ( 10 + 10 + 10 ) = 0.85 = 8.5/10

Sugar_from_OTW
22nd September 2008, 08:36 AM
I do appreciate the reviews are subjective and that reviewers can (and should) have latitude to express their opinions. At the same time, IMHO, gaming journalists have a responsibility to the industry and to consumers to provide a balanced and thoughtful evaluation that is consistent with the criteria applied to other software, on other platforms, and by other critics.

and the text for the gamespot review is all of those things. People put too much emphasis on a number to represent the quality of a game.

Anyway, Guy Cocker might not appreciate wipeout on the levels that the people on this forum will. Hell, I'm sure a fair amount of us think fusion was a good game, just because it was wipeout. Jeff Gerstmann does, however, and I know he's been looking forward to this game, so his review on giantbomb will probably reflect that.

BaldyCurly
22nd September 2008, 09:29 AM
( 7.5 + 9 + 9 ) / ( 10 + 10 + 10 ) = 0.85 = 8.5/10

http://www.chrisacton.co.uk/gamespot_are_twats.jpg

Image back and reduced file size too. I agree it's poor design but still.

Task
22nd September 2008, 03:54 PM
The average shown is quite obviously not the average of the other sites scores, since as you've already noted it would then be 9.
The average must include the local site, since that's the only way the math works out.

What it appears to be, what you think it is, and what it actually is are rarely all the same thing.

I blame it all on poor website design. 8 )

Flashback Jack
22nd September 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah I can do the math...

You might want to subtract about 90KB from that image before they getcha.

:)

- F

Lance
22nd September 2008, 05:10 PM
It appears that they have got him. :D

Kscorps
22nd September 2008, 11:42 PM
Guy : You accelerate wit this button-
Bimbo: What button is that
Guy : The X button

---

XD

BaldyCurly
23rd September 2008, 08:16 AM
Fair enough, was trying to make my point. Sorry for the large image, will remove it now.

Darkdrium777
23rd September 2008, 03:09 PM
Well you could have left it in a Link... :/

Lance
23rd September 2008, 05:53 PM
BaldyCurly, Jay had already made it a link, and it was no problem. Go ahead and put the link back if you wish. The image size limits set out in the guidelines pertain only to those displayed directly in the posts.

BaldyCurly
24th September 2008, 09:06 AM
Ah cool, I will add it back, was being lazy and didn't bother reducing the filesize, so busy here at work at the mo! I run my own web dev/design business, have done for the last 5 years so I should know better!