PDA

View Full Version : New HD Zone mode - post changes

mangaroo
18th September 2008, 03:29 PM
{As the posts in technical delay thread was offtopic...}

Is anyone else disappointed in the changes they have made to zone mode?

A video link that Sh@dow posted http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2008/09/11/how-sony-changed-wipeout-hd-to-pass-health-tests/ showing the differences

I'm not sure how much truth is in that video as http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/2851403029/ shows the visualizer in the bottom left screenshot, albeit still a plain screen.

I know that for me, after i "complete" the game, my wipeout-ing usually involves loading up zone mode and just thoroughly enjoy it. I'm sure I still will, but after seeing the neat effects of the previous builds, I have to say I am quite disappointed.

Here's hoping unlockables with seizure warnings :(

hmmm:

"But we certainly weren't going to take it lightly. We had to think long and hard about how we approached it, because there were ways and means of doing it, but in the end we managed to actually solve any issues without any detriment to the game. That was our worry, that the game would suddenly look poorer as a result of it, but no, it's all gone really well." (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/videogame-epilepsy-tests-subjective-says-wipeout-developer)

eLhabib
18th September 2008, 03:31 PM
Wait til you play it on Zone 40 upwards. Don't worry, it still rips your eyes out, throws 'em on the floor and dances cha cha on 'em.

Egg
18th September 2008, 04:18 PM
It also depends on which soundtrack you choose. Though, like I said before, I prefer the newer track graphics.

Moot point, innit. It's changed now. Most people probably won't know, or won't see the difference.

Darkdrium777
18th September 2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, from what I understand the equalizers don't appear until the game gets fast enough. And then when they do appear they are a bit attenuated but they are definitely still there.

Flashback Jack
18th September 2008, 06:41 PM
Brilliant maneuver. Get the average Joe to sit in front of HD while the epilepsy meter rolls on, have him crash 'n burn before zone fourty and the test ends. Meanwhile the zone 41 lightshow awaits to fry your synapses, well, only because those better than the average deserve 'em fried. :)

- F

mangaroo
22nd September 2008, 10:38 PM
I hate that it is annoying me so much, but the truth is that it really has a "meh" tagged onto this release for me now, which I know is silly...but still. It's there.

CR4SH3D
23rd September 2008, 12:43 PM
so can someone please confirm, what effects ARE still present and at which zone do they activate?

i take it the color changes to the environment dont happen any more at all now?

the comparison video as far as i know didnt go up to any high zones so you cant see what effects have been left in

im a little gutted but at the end of the day its still going to be sweet!

eLhabib
23rd September 2008, 12:53 PM
what? no, no, everything is still there! just toned down a bit! the white flash that weaves through the track and changes the color is still there. The EQs are still there, but only on the tracks, no billboards any more. Don't worry, they didn't gimp it that much ;)

MAMUTH
23rd September 2008, 02:04 PM
well I am quite sure I saw equalizer efects even on billboards, though I may be wrong. They started to show at higher zones I think.

Frances_Penfold
23rd September 2008, 02:10 PM
Brilliant maneuver. Get the average Joe to sit in front of HD while the epilepsy meter rolls on, have him crash 'n burn before zone fourty and the test ends. Meanwhile the zone 41 lightshow awaits to fry your synapses, well, only because those better than the average deserve 'em fried. :)

Heh, true enough!

I doubt that 90% of folks that buy WOHD will play Zone mode past 30 or 40, if at all.

eLhabib
23rd September 2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, there might be some billboards with EQs, but not every billboard that you see on the 'normal' tracks...

mangaroo
23rd September 2008, 03:14 PM
whatever they have done and whatever the speed the previous build had an awesomeness straight from the get go that just isn't there with the final build. im sounding like an old record though guess there isnt much i can do now, maybe some nice 5.1 speakers will cheer me up :)

Darkdrium777
23rd September 2008, 03:18 PM
Maybe just launching the game after it installs will too.
So uhh Iv'e only got a webcam here to film this historical moment and put it on Youtube, who else will be taping it? :lol

mclarensmps
23rd September 2008, 04:17 PM
I kinda like the track pulsing with the beat more than the eq's all over the place.

CR4SH3D
24th September 2008, 08:56 AM
//eLhabib
sweet, thanks for clearing that up, the comparison video just looked quite different too me but i guess its not, cheers