PDA

View Full Version : Release date (merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cybrpnk
13th December 2007, 06:32 PM
So...er...now that Pulse is out...not that I am ungrateful for more PSP WipEout goodness...

But do we have a relesea date for HD yet??? I am itching for some big screen WipEout. Basically bought my PS3 as soon as I heard about not 1 but 2 next-gen WipEouts in the works...

Hopefully we will get HD before Christmas, cause that would be really nice of Studio Liverpool...;)

Anyway...game on...

Love the new WipEout dedicated website and love the new Pulse and love the looks of HD...

Great to see that this franchise will not die anytime soon, the franchise that gave me reason to buy my PSOne, PS2 and now PS3...

Sausehuhn
13th December 2007, 06:35 PM
Most likely March 2008 or later.

cybrpnk
13th December 2007, 06:38 PM
Aw well...one could hope...

Guess this gives me more time to hone on Pulse...

March is gonna be crazy for my PS3 then...WipEout HD, MGS4 and GTA4...choices, choices, choices...

Long live anti-gravity racing I say...

Now one more bit of unfinished work...Studio Liverpool...secure the rights to a new Rollcage!!! I know there are a fair few of us here who sorely miss it...next-gen power + destructive environment potential = Rollcage Heaven!!!

Neo-Tech
18th December 2007, 12:03 PM
QJ.NET say that it will come Q1 2008, but for the UK it will be delayed just like anything.

Chill
19th December 2007, 04:23 AM
Is HD going to be like Pulse is, and wait another couple of months before it releases in the US?

Angryman
22nd December 2007, 02:12 PM
Give us a little Christmas Pressie and release it on Christmas eve. SCEEL!
Thanks.

anyway.. apparently its coming out in January.

Rapier Racer
22nd December 2007, 09:37 PM
Its a PS Store exclusive, have you seen the US store compared to the EU one? Ours looks a little bare by comparison oh and we get demos ages after the US, no need for that at all.

Frances_Penfold
23rd December 2007, 04:09 AM
I am itching for some big screen WipEout.

This just seemed like an opportunity to say how FANTASTIC Wipeout Pulse is using the TV line-out on the PSP slim. It's no replacement for Wipeout HD but damn, it's looks surprisingly good on my modestly-sized 480p LCD TV.

Hopefully the line-out option will keep me satisfied until HD is released :)

cybrpnk
23rd December 2007, 08:20 AM
i have an old fatty boombatty psp so i don't have the luxury of big screen output...until the fat one dies and i get a slim one...i have to settle for the small screen...still going strong though...

Frances_Penfold
23rd December 2007, 05:25 PM
It's worth the upgrade, IMO-- just for the tweaked d-pad alone :) The TV line-out is a great bonus.

Hope you'll get a chance to get a PSP slim soon...

Ota
6th January 2008, 09:09 AM
According to eu.playstation.com the release now is Apr-Jun 2008. :brickwall
At least they should start some open beta anytime soon.

Rapier Racer
6th January 2008, 06:32 PM
A beta Wipeout HD? I think it's safe to say dream on.

cybrpnk
7th January 2008, 01:41 AM
two words

'de' 'mo'

o...hang on...*counts fingers*

Apr Jun should be fine for me...lol...I've got to get through GTA4, The Orange Box, Burnout Paradise, Dirt Colin McRae and a few other games...lol

Rapier Racer
7th January 2008, 05:11 PM
As long as they don't release it too close to GTA IV, bad move for any publisher that.

mdhay
9th January 2008, 09:48 PM
Or anywhere near mgs4/mgs: online. IMHO, mgs has a larger audience than WipEout, which hasn't been around as long.[Referring to retro mg's]

Assimilator
10th January 2008, 07:00 AM
wipeout is for the 1337 and i'd say has more a cult style following than your average mindless fsp boring bs.

BaldyCurly
10th January 2008, 11:05 AM
Have you ever played MSG dude? For starters, it is not boring, nor mindless and it is not a FPS either.

Don't get me wrong, Wipeout is my game, always has always will but to just play one game is kinder boring imo. MSG2 was one of the best story based games of all time, MSG4 is shaping up to be something quite special, having watched many clips via PSN on this game I for one can't wait. You can also add;

Little Big Planet
GT5 (the Prologue version is stunning)
Wipeout HD (of course)
Haze
Killzone 2

Eichhorn
10th January 2008, 03:34 PM
I like Metal Solid Gear too. Sorry, but I just had to.;)

BaldyCurly
11th January 2008, 08:22 AM
Good point, well made!! I am always doing that.

cybrpnk
21st February 2008, 10:28 AM
Please,
please,
please...Studio Liverpool

Now that Pulse is up and away...can we please get some news on WipEout HD...is it completed? Are you beta testing the online component? Fine-tuning? We need something...I just hope you don't release this the same time as GTA4 cause that is gonna kill me...lol

Keep up the excellent work...

ColdRem'S
4th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Sony has given some new dates today. Concerning the PSN Europe, we'll have:
March 2008: Pain
April 2008: Elefunk
May 2008: Echochrome

No WipEout in sight...:frown:
Sigh...

Either they're planning to release it soon and they haven't announced it yet, either we'll have to wait until June.:bat

Nadia Elenova
11th March 2008, 01:14 PM
June you say?! :eek Watching the trailer with the sixaxis in my hands is just too much to have to wait until June! :frown:

ColdRem'S
11th March 2008, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm not saying it WILL be June, that's just a guess...
I wish I was wrong!

Assimilator
12th March 2008, 07:22 AM
Well if i bace it on these facts it's going to be longer because wipeoue pulse on the PSP
had a playble demo released in mid last year and full game did not hit till november so my guess is August

I want it now damn it

Lion
12th March 2008, 06:28 PM
I don't think pulse is a good basis for comparison...
Pulse was always meant to be a boxed retail product
HD is being released via the PSN store as a download. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it doesn't get a playable demo at all.

Assimilator
18th March 2008, 08:53 AM
possible release date leaked here
http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PSN-Europe-releasing-Home-games-DLC-in-July/pg/49/aid/116094

Ally Graham
18th March 2008, 05:14 PM
The words 'Take with a' and 'pinch of salt' comes to mind.

Lance
18th March 2008, 06:22 PM
Indeed they do. Daydream> [destroys quote button]

---------

I never put faith in rumour and release dates. Remember how Windows Vista arrived about three years after it was supposed to?

Rapier Racer
18th March 2008, 08:21 PM
May huh, whats that Wipeout thing slated in for the end of April another trailer before release? I wish this list was real.

Assimilator
19th March 2008, 07:35 AM
hopfully a free playable demo

Sausehuhn
21st March 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be a demo online. As they did with Pulse.
The game is a PSN game only and I'm pretty sure Sony has high expectations of the online gaming part of WOHD.
I'm sure Sony want others to download the game and to push the PSN-Store. And the best and easy way to do so is a free demo.
This demo should have online play of course so the customer has an impression of what to expect from the full game.

Rapier Racer
21st March 2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah makes sense give them one track and get em hooked, as if the video and picture releases of late aren't enough.

eLhabib
21st March 2008, 05:03 PM
well, THEY'RE NOT. *needmorewipeoutdrugs*

Sausehuhn
21st March 2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, eL, you're right. After watching those five videos on an 32" HDTV I can't get enough. Especially not enough of zone :eek

TheFrostE
21st March 2008, 05:35 PM
pfft, its just a new wipEout...who cares :rolleyes:

haha :D jk

Sausehuhn
28th March 2008, 08:01 PM
End of May (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/862/862824p1.html) :D

eLhabib
28th March 2008, 09:03 PM
that's end of may for USA, could mean even sooner for Europe...

taqili
28th March 2008, 10:03 PM
Sooner for Europe and I'm turning GERMAN.

Lance
28th March 2008, 10:06 PM
Now thAt's enthusiasm! :)

eLhabib
28th March 2008, 10:09 PM
I wish SL weren't so cryptical about the release date, seeing as most of us are planning their PS3 purchase to coincide with wipEout HD's launch. We need a date to save our money for!
As the anticipation is rising, it's like waiting for Christmas without knowing the date :D

taqili
28th March 2008, 10:12 PM
you're right I am strident about this -- I was planning to buy icaras pack for pulse, but why do that when I can buy ps3 and icaras for that?!

icaras is the one true love. others will leave you, but icaras will be forever.

kit-yun
29th March 2008, 09:10 PM
hello wipers

I hope that it will release before June, I had read on a site which it “was almost finalized”. At the same time, it would be time considering the little of races which it proposes, it is the best series for me and each episode is so difficult to wait.

my ps3 want this game for intense races.

ColdRem'S
11th April 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm VERY PROUD to have the honor to announce that SONY has given the release game of the game we all want so bad:

According to this French reliable site, WE WILL PLAY WoHD ON MAY,29th!:g:g:g
No price announced yet however....

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/wipeout-hd-date-sortie-fete-videos-actu-135502.html

Axel
11th April 2008, 06:06 PM
I hope this is true. Shame is not coming earlier within MAY. Damn such a long time away.

Lion
11th April 2008, 11:11 PM
well there's one major positive in this release date... it's late enough in may that it's after my may pay, so I can afford to buy GT5Prologue with my april pay :)
god I hate monthly pay

eLhabib
12th April 2008, 12:13 AM
I was hoping it would be early May, but hey, at least we know for sure now. Here's hoping the DualShock3 gets a release in Europe before end of May...

Skvall
12th April 2008, 08:37 AM
Probably not new for everyone around here (as this is not a playground for 10year olds..:)) but you can buy a dualshock 3 at a very good price from yesasia.com. Around 38€ incl shipping to europe.

I think they have all three colors. (black/white/silver)

eLhabib
12th April 2008, 01:32 PM
what I meant is I'm waiting for a PS3/DualShock3 bundle. I don't want to buy a crappy sixaxis, not even as a secondary controller for multiplayer - wouldn't wanna do that to my friends ;)

Skvall
12th April 2008, 01:40 PM
I have 2 sixaxis and 1 white ds3 and none of my friends care about having to use sixaxis. Maybe your friends are more picky than mine, if they dont pay they dont whine. ^^

(but I see your point..)

Sausehuhn
12th April 2008, 01:53 PM
If I'm not totally wrong I read that the DS3 will replace the SIXAXIS completely. So when the DS3 is released in Europe we'll only get PS3s bundled with DS3 and SIXAXIS will ramain till they're all sold out.

Hm... maybe some retailers will sell the old SIXAXIS bundles cheaper then?

Btw, Martin, if you're looking for a new and cheaper PS3: every few weeks there are PS3s for 330€ at guut.de :)
Or ebay will do the job.

eLhabib
12th April 2008, 02:26 PM
thanks, I'll check that out.

Sausehuhn
13th April 2008, 10:04 AM
This German Interview (http://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/games/tests/clemens-wangerin-wipeout-hd-86977) gives the 22nd May for release :)

Ah and Clemens Wangerin (he's German - wtf?!) says the game is less than 1GB big, most likely 850GB, maybe even just 500GB in the end.
In addition, he says there are plans for a future WipEout release on PS3.
The SL team will work on additional content 12 more months after WOHD's release.

Rapier Racer
13th April 2008, 06:58 PM
Good lord 850GB never mind busting my ISPs balls but it won't even fit on my PS3s HDD! :dizzy :P

Seriously though how can a game that ****ing good looking with all that detail come in at under a gig? I'm assuming it'll be a lot larger than that when it installs?

eLhabib
13th April 2008, 07:48 PM
I was wondering about that, too! I recently heard that capcom were having problems with fitting SuperStreetFighterIITurboHD on 500 megabyte, and that's really not that big of a game in terms of textures (which eat up the most space, I suppose) - so I was expecting wipEout HD to have at least 3 to 4 gig!

Nadia Elenova
14th April 2008, 08:22 AM
... WE WILL PLAY WoHD ON MAY,29th!:g:g:g

Wipeout HD and Metallica the same weekend? :rock I wish they release it on 22th May or I'll need to "absorb" tons of Red Bull. :D

Egg
14th April 2008, 08:52 AM
SuperStreetFighterIITurboHD ... that's really not that big of a game in terms of textures (which eat up the most space, I suppose)

That game has thousands of frames of animation, and the sprites are enormous. Most 3D games on the other hand, can re-use assets in different ways, if memory gets scarce.

eLhabib
14th April 2008, 06:29 PM
hm ok, thousands, really? just out of interest: how many different textures does wipEout HD use? can you tell?

Egg
14th April 2008, 07:34 PM
Bazillions.

Colin Berry
14th April 2008, 08:05 PM
7, all taken directly from mario kart

Frances_Penfold
14th April 2008, 08:18 PM
Dirt tracks, confirmed! Maybe wooden bridge structures too ;)

BTW, I'd write you a check for $100 right now if you promised to include the blue shell in the next Wipeout.

Uptight announcer voice: "MInes"... "MInes"... "Blue SHELL"

infoxicated
14th April 2008, 09:16 PM
Pah!

I offered him £1000 to take Barrel Rolls out of WipEout Pulse, but unfortunately he'd rather be broke than corrupt!

(and £1000 is like, totally, two thousand of your US dollars. Gotta milk this one whilst the pound is on such a high.)

Lance
14th April 2008, 10:16 PM
More like the dollar is at such a low. grumblebushgrumblegrrrr

omega329
15th April 2008, 07:04 PM
I heard that public confidence in bush is lower than public confidence in nixon's final years.

Lance
15th April 2008, 07:31 PM
It's lower than **** on a boot heel.

Rapier Racer
15th April 2008, 10:04 PM
7, all taken directly from mario kart

lol, love iiiiiiiiiit.

taqili
3rd May 2008, 01:04 AM
when ...is it released?

Linchpin
3rd May 2008, 09:34 AM
I want my Boogie ..boogie!

Axel
3rd May 2008, 05:27 PM
It's gone very quiet in this forum. Who thinks that SL are waiting for GTA IV and MGS4 to pass through before they launch this game?

mdhay
3rd May 2008, 05:39 PM
Me. :biggrin:

Rapier Racer
3rd May 2008, 06:09 PM
There probably won't be any announcement it will just appear one week on the store, in line with Sony/Studio Liverpool's policy of being cryptic and releasing things in a stealthy manner for whatever reasons.

I mean if we can have dates for every other game why not Wipeout?

Darkdrium777
3rd May 2008, 06:28 PM
The ninja carrying the WipEout HD file is already on it's way to the Sony PSN server, it's just making sure nobody is following or watching. We gotta look away for it to appear on the store.

Sausehuhn
3rd May 2008, 09:48 PM
Generally there's not much advertising for WipEout games, is it?

Axel
3rd May 2008, 10:11 PM
The ninja carrying the WipEout HD file is already on it's way to the Sony PSN server, it's just making sure nobody is following or watching. We gotta look away for it to appear on the store.

How long do we look away for? My neck is beginning to ache :(

Darkdrium777
3rd May 2008, 10:14 PM
That's the problem. It's a secret. ****, I've already said to— ... gahhhrgl...

Rapier Racer
3rd May 2008, 10:42 PM
Not a lot of advertising these days (check the Wipeout 3 campaign!) thats not really the issue, even if they made announcements on a date now and then it might help keep more people interested instead of, oh it's delayed we'll keep quite and a lot of people will just forget about it eh.

HD will be OK I guess since its a download they can put banners all over the PS Store that shouldn't cost them too much.

Axel
4th May 2008, 08:23 AM
Just the PS store? I thought this was going to be the PSN flagship title no? I thought they would advertise this game like crazy.

But im only guessing that the reason for the sudden silence maybe due to a stealth delay. Hopefully they heard our prayers :)

Linchpin
4th May 2008, 10:13 AM
I reckon it will be released maybe one month after MGS4 :turd

eLhabib
4th May 2008, 11:13 AM
I honestly don't think they will delay it not to coincide with other big titles. Pretty sure that the reason we don't have an exact release date yet is that they wanna polish it till they think it's ready, and don't wanna stress themselves by announcing an exact date (which normally gets pushed back anyway...).
They once said late May, and I guess they'll try to hit that. So, when does the PSN store usually get updated? Is it Thursday? I think so - so that will be the 29th of May then - same as the french mag claimed. My money's on that.

Darkdrium777
4th May 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes the PS Store updates every thursday. And on rare occasions tuesday.

Rapier Racer
4th May 2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah us euros are getting 2 updates next week because of Playstation day, rock on :rock

mdhay
4th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Um... What's Playstation Day?

Bytehawk
4th May 2008, 07:49 PM
now would be a good time to release a demo of the game, if may 29/22th is the release date.

there's playstation day next week tuesday, to celebrate the ps store gets 2 updates : one tuesday and one thursday. The haze demo gets released on tuesday...

Rapier Racer
4th May 2008, 09:08 PM
Day of announcements from Sony held in London. As far as I'm aware, unless the other devisions have seperate events for themselves I think any announcements made apply to SCEE territories only.

http://www.playstationday2008.co.uk/

DJ Techno
5th May 2008, 12:56 AM
give it a couple more weeks...

the european lab testers...

are doing us a favor.

getting the bugs out the system, so the west can have no problem with HD.

Assimilator
5th May 2008, 10:39 AM
I dont think they should worry about bugs look at how much delay GTA4 got and they still released a bug filled game I can't play mine without turning off the PSN.

They should pump the title like GTA4 and have a propper rls date and flog it like it's the only game people should ever have

silent publishing is not a good marketting strategy for a popular title

Axel
5th May 2008, 01:01 PM
Assimilator what PS3 modal do you have? Mine is working like a charm with PSN on. I have the new 40GB version

Darkdrium777
5th May 2008, 10:44 PM
60GB apparently has lots of troubles, so that's one of the reasons I'm not getting GTA4 until these problems are reported as solved. The other reason is that I'm not a particular fan of crime games.

Skvall
5th May 2008, 11:37 PM
I have a US 60GB Ps3 and EU GTAIV without any problems, except with onlineservers, but everyone has that.

But this is a little offtopic. =P

Assimilator
6th May 2008, 06:41 AM
Assimilator what PS3 modal do you have? Mine is working like a charm with PSN on. I have the new 40GB version

I have 40GB version as well, this issue is not 20/60gb SKU related as first thought.

sorry for the of topic

Back on the topic I want wipeout HD now

Rubix42
6th May 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm hoping that some news comes out of the Sony SCEE gamer day today. Lots of stuff is on display for the European media, and we're already getting stories about a bunch of other games, so hopefully more info about Wipeout will come out as well.

Axel
6th May 2008, 10:17 PM
No sign of Wipeout on PS day? WTH? Hmmm I thought they would have done their best to try and promote the game at the event. Ah well.

Darkdrium777
7th May 2008, 02:30 AM
Hopefully it will not be delayed... We are all praying for end of may here :P Come on SL! ;)

Linchpin
7th May 2008, 06:01 AM
Actually , I don't give a damn about knowing when the release date is early on or how long it is before it is released , as long as it is fully polished when it comes out which I'm sure it will be.. then woo ;)

Rubix42
7th May 2008, 04:07 PM
I agree a polished game is better than a rushed one. At the same time, I am bummed that there was no updated news on this at the gamers day event yesterday. Even if it is being delayed, it would be nice for some new screens or gameplay footage, and a release window to look forward to.

Assimilator
7th May 2008, 08:04 PM
I guess the problem is that sony have been publishing release dates for this game for the last 10 months and have not benn able to stick to them. why Publish a release date if it's only a guess? It could be considered faulse advertising.

Crusader
7th May 2008, 09:41 PM
I dont think they should worry about bugs look at how much delay GTA4 got and they still released a bug filled game I can't play mine without turning off the PSN.

A little bit off-topic, but this was just released a few hours ago and you'll definitely be interested:

PS3 GTA 4 Patch Issued (http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/articles/news/487/PS3-Patch-Issued)

Looks like the Playstation 3 players are getting their fix before anyone else. A recent patch issued by Rockstar that, "prevents Gamespy's servers from being overloaded and therefore reduces the impact on those servers that were causing the game to stutter and lock up."

So if you have the PS3 version and play multiplayer, this is good news. Rockstar also wanted to say:

"We want to assure everyone that, together with our hardware partners, we continue to strive to give our fans the best possible interactive entertainment experience possible," Rockstar said in a statement today. "This update will ensure that everyone will experience Grand Theft Auto IV the way it was intended. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

I for one accept their apologies... do you?

**EDIT** Back on topic, I can't wait for this game. The fact that they're most-likely polishing it up still doesn't make the wait any easier, however. Hopefully sooner rather than later....

Also, here's a nice video (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/199557.html) for anyone who hasn't seen it.

cybrpnk
10th May 2008, 09:32 PM
hello???

Studio Liverpool???

any news of a solid release date???

I''m craving some hyper neoness...!!! Argh!!!

eLhabib
10th May 2008, 09:44 PM
In my opinion, SL going even deeper below radar can mean only two things: A) release is closer than we think, or B) they are having major troubles and it will be further delayed...

so, I guess we know... erm... NOTHING! :hyper

Darkdrium777
10th May 2008, 10:15 PM
I guess we won't know a thing until it's release...
Can someone from SL at least reassure us and tell us that everything is going according to plans? :)

Egg
11th May 2008, 03:10 PM
People are still talking about it, gawping at screenshots and downloading the videos.

Everything, therefore, is going to plan ;)

Axel
11th May 2008, 04:57 PM
Egg hmmmmmmm I hate your cryptic messages lol. Anywho, i need a bloody wipeout racing game dammit. I don't do PSP's :)

Sausehuhn
11th May 2008, 05:07 PM
There's always the PS1 (and PS2 if you like Fusion) for some back-to-the-roots-action ;)

Lance
11th May 2008, 06:50 PM
People are still talking about it, gawping at screenshots and downloading the videos.

Everything, therefore, is going to plan ;)

Quite like making someone wait for an orgasm. The teasing makes it more intense when it comes.

omega329
11th May 2008, 06:56 PM
Wow, I think you just topped my list of unexpected things to hear or read...

Lance
11th May 2008, 07:03 PM
I pretty much always top. :D

mdhay
11th May 2008, 07:16 PM
LOL! :clap

Assimilator
12th May 2008, 07:47 AM
Quite like making someone wait for an orgasm. The teasing makes it more intense when it comes.

Yeah but what about the pre-mature people that have already done their stack from the videos, we get to have a multi orgasm when the games fully comes.

gimmy HD orgasm now

omega329
12th May 2008, 03:39 PM
Since when did Wipeout and sex mix?
Oh right, Arial Tetsuo...

Rubix42
12th May 2008, 05:31 PM
I love how Egg said everything without saying anything at all. From his comment we can assume the game is coming this weeks, or 5 months from now.

Very good PR spin.

And if my assumption that Egg works at SL is wrong, I apologize. Reading past posts though, it seems that he does.

Lance
12th May 2008, 05:48 PM
No assumption necessary; Egg is the designer of the racecraft in WipEout Pure and Pulse and therefore, HD.

---------

And to mdhay, thank you. *Bows to accept the plaudits of the audience* :g

mdhay
12th May 2008, 06:05 PM
You're welcome:g

Back on topic:

Day(s) to potential ;) release:17

Wip3ou7
12th May 2008, 07:19 PM
I had to buy a PSP slim to tide me over untill WipEout HD comes out (for the Video-Out feature)... I couldn't handle the anticipation!! I traded in my release-day PSP for it :( But I don't regret it! The PSP Slim is BADASS and I like it more than the original now.

Darkdrium777
12th May 2008, 11:41 PM
Damnit these guys can't give you a straight answer :g
Good job Egg, hopefully we all get to play this very soon! :)

Starting the countdown... just like mdhay ;)

Egg
13th May 2008, 11:16 AM
I can't take credit for the HD ships. They're just based on some blocky old stuff I designed eons ago.

infoxicated
13th May 2008, 02:48 PM
Back when this was all fields. ;)

Lance
13th May 2008, 04:37 PM
Or molten rock. ;)
About the time I was born. :D

mdhay
13th May 2008, 04:47 PM
Or when we drove cars.:)

BaldyCurly
13th May 2008, 05:26 PM
Does anyone knwo for sure if this bad boy is out end of May as we all hope and pray?

RJ O'Connell
15th May 2008, 02:32 AM
I'd like to know sometime, but I can hold out for awhile.

I need to weigh the consequences of possibly trading in a currently malfunctioned Xbox 360 for a PS3.

Make no mistake though, I will catch up to Wipeout HD sooner rather than later. :D

Bytehawk
16th May 2008, 04:12 PM
bad news :
http://www.psu.com/SCEA-reveals-2008,-Q1-2009-line-up-News--a0003683-p0.php

-Wipeout HD -- PSN (Available Summer 2008 / E10+)

Sausehuhn
16th May 2008, 04:26 PM
Ahahahahah that's so typical.
Not the fact that it comes later than expected, no, it's the fact that nobody tells you.
You guys can't imagine how much Sony's advertising and releasedate strategies get on my nerves, no, you really can't.

Bytehawk
16th May 2008, 04:29 PM
this means I'm going to buy another game first, Burnout is getting a bit boring.

Paradoxx
16th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Nnnnnoooooooooo !!!!!!:brickwall

Rubix42
16th May 2008, 08:25 PM
Bummer! Summer is typically considered to start on June 21st.

Ugh. Well, I guess it's for the best, I mean, MGS4 comes out in about 2 weeks. But still, I want Wipeout and I want it now!

rushin
16th May 2008, 08:30 PM
hmm. it's still May from the official sony uk site (http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/release-calendar/) but who knows. Release dates, and the way they are always moving are just there to really frustrate the fans imo :p

Assimilator
16th May 2008, 08:56 PM
You guys have no idea how pissed of I am about this
I bought my ps3 back in december because at the time 31/12/07 was the published release date for WipEout HD on the AU playstation web site

It never came so i contacted sony and asked them where it way becasue they did not update the site.

date got changed to april - june

then in april the dat got change to 29/4/08 again it never came
I contacted sony and asked they why and also asked the for compensation because i've now been with out the game I bought my $700 ps3 for 5 month now.

I think we should start a class action against sony and it's misleading infomation.

Sugar_from_OTW
16th May 2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah but it's not like the ps3 has come down in price since December for us.

-----

I'm trying to plan my holidays from work around this release. My boss is getting a little frustrated with me saying "I need some time off soon, but I'm not sure exactly when".

Lance
16th May 2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the WipeoutZone, "Sugar". :)

Please read the guidelines before posting further.

eLhabib
16th May 2008, 11:32 PM
yep. I might have even worse news: just talked to a source within Sony today, and he told me wipEout HD might not be out before September!!! He said he's not sure he's on the latest info, but the official date they are supposed to say if someone asks is September.

Please, someone from SL, get on here and ease our minds (and hearts) by denying this in favor of a more soon-ish date!

rushin
17th May 2008, 12:16 AM
uff.Trying to pretend i didnt read that eLhabib.

nope, not working. Bugger.

Well as long as it's getting released 'when it's ready', rather than 'when some bloke working in publishing thinks its a good time' i dont think we can complain. Still if it is September then maybe a little closed beta to make sure the multiplayer is superawesome is in order? :cowboy

Frances_Penfold
17th May 2008, 01:53 AM
Not only may Sony want to perfect the online gameplay, they may want to release Wipeout HD in the fall launch window, which always gets way more sales than summer releases.

Not sure if this holds for PSN downloadable games so well as optical media releases-- but in general it's absurd how much of a lift September/November/December releases get, and also the fraction of sales that occur during the first month of a release.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 05:48 AM
September holy crap can I kill myself and re spawn then.

i'm already sick of waiting

well 1up says this

http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3161157

Chill
17th May 2008, 06:56 AM
WTF really? Maaan, sorry to break it to ya, but I'm not a big fan of Pulse... I only played some of it for like the first week... Pure was a hell lot better... that freaking sucks if that's true!! It's going to be so sick when it comes out though...

loxy
17th May 2008, 06:59 AM
hello people,
on its european official playstation site, the date always May a 2008 for wipeout hd...a French site is also the first to have obtained the exact official date of release of the title : May 29, 2008, therefore let published this date on the official sites is deliberately to mislead the consumer...
:evil

I don't know wipeout fusion on ps2, so while waiting, playing wipeout fusion on its ps3 does helping little for have patience and it's worth the sorrow?
thanks (and sorry for my english)

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 07:07 AM
Is there not laws about false advertising and publishing missleding infomation can we sue sony ???

Egg
17th May 2008, 08:06 AM
Heh, seriously? Well, you could have had it in December, if you wanted to play something unfinished.

No-one's been misled. December was a serious date, but if problems come up, Sony can't just add a week on and release it then. There are release 'windows' to avoid other big launches and so on. I pity any publisher who tried to get a game noticed two or three weeks ago, for example.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 08:45 AM
Mario kart did just fine against gta4 and being me I would have bought all three if WO had have come out.

WO is as just as big a title as they are IMHO.

The main problem is sony arn't marketing WO in the same way and that will have a negative effect on sales.

What are liverpool studios and sony so scared of ??

Spend some money on faster development and some TV add's, sell and pitch WO to the world!!! It's an awsom franchise. Why keep it a hidden secret.

OH and PS bring back the neGcon

Fascia
17th May 2008, 08:48 AM
Is there not laws about false advertising and publishing missleding infomation can we sue sony ???

...sue them for what? False advertising is when they sell you a product and it doesn't match the description. Release dates for games change all the time, I fail to see what the problem is, it's not broken promises, any kind of serious gamer should realise that release dates always change, and if you're not a serious gamer, why are you here whining about release dates? This is exactly what's wrong with society today, people thinking they can fix everything with lawsuits. It's a video game, I'm sure you'll live if you have to wait a few extra months.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 09:02 AM
@ Fascia.

Your missing the point Sony lured me into buying my ps3 back in december by advertising december as a release for the only particular game I was interested for the system at the time. When it did not launch I felt left out in the dark with a system with no game that I wanted to play or buy. Lets face it, good ps3 titles have been hard to come by.

As for a lawsuit I dont think so it just my way of showing anger.

not a serious gamer?? well i've been play video games since I got my commodore 64 back in 1984 so......

Egg
17th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Sony lured me into buying my ps3
By advertising a range of upcoming games! The rascals.

Mario Kart vs GTA4 isn't exactly a good example, either.

Ota
17th May 2008, 09:37 AM
That list is from SCEA, not SCEE.
All WO releases were later in the U.S. so it still may come to European countries soon.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 09:39 AM
@ egg

mario kart and gta4 are infact perfect example of how to market a game.

dont get me wong I love wipeout I just dislike sonys inabillity to correctly market a game.

Egg
17th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Ah, but you can release a Mario Kart game on the same day as a GTA game and still be fairly sure you'll sell pretty well, as they're different markets and different consoles, that was my point. MK is a huge franchise with an assured fanbase.. Wipeout on the other hand is still pretty niche (as sales of Pulse show).

loxy
17th May 2008, 10:40 AM
All WO releases were later in the U.S. so it still may come to European countries soon.

I hope....:rolleyes:

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 10:52 AM
again pulse was very poorly marketed I dont beleive i've even seen a tv ad for it down here.

it's sad for me to say but the wipeout franchise suffered when psynosis died and and spat out the sour tasting fusion on the ps2.
pure and pulse were execlent games with just one thing missing "a neGcon".

I can tell you right now if I was a non serious gamer and I saw the Wipeout HD trailer on comercial tv or in a movie theater I would wet myself and want to buy a ps3 in an instant.

It's a serious maketting flaw to not advertise somthing that is considered niche.
niche means someone stumbled across somthing good
imagin the possibillitys if somthing good was thrust apon the wider community
ohh the sales.

Egg
17th May 2008, 10:58 AM
Strangely, SCEA seem to have a fuzzy idea about WoHD in general. I read an interview with a SCEA guy on Crispy Gamer, where he speculated the Motion-Sensing might not make it into the finished game ... first I've heard of it :) :/

Bytehawk
17th May 2008, 11:05 AM
well, I hope you're right. I'd really really really like to get my mits on this gem. You guys could always follow the strategy Criterion uses: update the game with new content after launch (and if it is succesfull enough to warrant it) might even give a boost in sales then.

ColdRem'S
17th May 2008, 11:21 AM
I really hope you're right Ota. In fact, that's exactly what I thought. The game has been delayed several times, but for the first time we were given an (what seems to be according to some French sites) official date. Even if a delay is yet possible, I REALLY hope it won't be the case.
If the game was unfortunately delayed till September, it would mean a total delay of almost a year! ( nov-dec2007-sept2008 ):dizzy!!!

PS: Come on Egg, please give us a clue!!! ;)

Rapier Racer
17th May 2008, 11:58 AM
What else comes out this month, whats the crack here are Sony afraid of HAZE or something?

It would be really annoying if the game was ready but being held back because it would supposedly sell better in X month, no, it would sell better if people knew it existed, all this Pulse tanked. Don't tell me no one at Sony knows why.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 12:09 PM
@ Rapid
thank you, finaly someone who undestands me

microsoft and sony are both playing the brand game

on the other hand Nintendo has the brand and a clever marketting stratgy.

I mean s**t the wii is not much more powerfull than the game cube and or even an xbox1 or a ps2 and it's sell more units than 360 and ps3.

Liverpool Studio and Sony, "Wipeout is a brand name, go out and sell it".

rushin
17th May 2008, 01:29 PM
actually out the end of may on PSN is Fatal Inertia Ex (http://kotaku.com/367206/fatal-inertia-may-ex-out-a-playstation-3-release-after-all), by all accounts a piss poor ripoff of wipeout.

Sure i can see the logic of not releasing both together, but it makes no sense that sony would delay their own game in favour of this? :brickwall

Rapier Racer
17th May 2008, 01:42 PM
I've got this on the 360 you cannot even start comparing it to Wipeout, I mean its fun for a week or so but meh. Clearly it would get slaughtered it would be slaughtered if it were released at the same time as HD.

Might have something to do with it being a middling racer, a poor man's WipEout that was met with a collective "meh."

lol!! Poor mans Wipeout :g

eLhabib
17th May 2008, 02:02 PM
well, the fact that Egg didn't instantly call bullshit on the September release rumor means it's not totally impossible (which SU-U-UCKS).
Let's face it, if it really came out in 2 weeks, we would know by now. It wasn't even on the Sony newsletter AT ALL this week.
I'm not the kind of fanboy who starts swearing at SL or Sony if my favorite game gets pushed further and further away, but even I am slowly starting to get pissed off. I ordered a Dualshock 3 this week, now it looks like it's gonna be available here anyway before wipEout HD comes out.
Just tell us what's up, SL. If you say it got pushed because of marketing, we'll accept that. If you tell us you're having trouble finalizing it, we'll accept that. If you tell us you don't know how long it's gonna be, we'll accept that, too. But not commenting at all to your most loyal fanbase is kind of a bad move imho. :/

Ota
17th May 2008, 02:09 PM
Besides, ThreeSpeech (http://threespeech.com/blog/) has a WO HD banner running. They usually do this as some kind of countdown, and they're pretty well informed as the semi official site they are. Have faith. :)

ColdRem'S
17th May 2008, 02:43 PM
I had also noticed this detail Ota!:g
After "lets be friends" (where both AG-SyS pilots!), lets hope together!:nod

PS: what elhabib says makes sense too... Not a word at Sony's gamers day, no news 2 weeks before the supposed release date... Hum...

Rapier Racer
17th May 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm seeing things saying summer for the US, I don't think Europe would get it after the US so with that in mind, September is hardly summer.

JABBERJAW
17th May 2008, 02:56 PM
"Just tell us what's up, SL. If you say it got pushed because of marketing, we'll accept that. If you tell us you're having trouble finalizing it, we'll accept that. If you tell us you don't know how long it's gonna be, we'll accept that, too. But not commenting at all to your most loyal fanbase is kind of a bad move imho. :/ "

almost exactly what I said. if it is a stealth release, expect this

stealth release = vector sales

So the release date now is the same time as wipeout pulse for ps2? I was really looking foward to HD soon, and pulse on the ps2 with a regular controller.

Fatal Inertia. have you played the entire game? It gets much faster, and floatier. It is not as polished as a wipeout game, but the floatiness is there. A couple of stupid things I did not like was the sound of the brake boost, and the weapon assist when you are behind(which the programmer told me was complletely toned down for the ps3 release, and possible taken out with a download to make it random. He also said the game is smoother and faster than the xbox version. I'll give it a shot, especially now that Hd probably won't be coming out anytime soon.

A note to developers. Cut the crap with assistance to the person behind. Noone who is serious about the game wants this, unless it is an option.

OK, half of this is off topic. end here

Ota
17th May 2008, 02:57 PM
@ColdRem'S: Yeah, sure. :)
There may be some tactical depth in the team mate feature if there is one in the end.
However, AG has lost a lot since 2097. I fly whatever team that has me contracted. ;)

stin
17th May 2008, 03:48 PM
You all going to hate me for this!

To me, it`s perfect for me, when HD comes out and I will be ready by then after my gruelling golf schedules and I`m getting renovate my house, so my timing might be just about right.

*runs away and hide!

stevie:paperbag

eLhabib
17th May 2008, 04:02 PM
TRAITOR! Men, ready the plank, throw some bloody meat in the water to tease the sharks! ;)

Ota
17th May 2008, 04:09 PM
Nah, he might be crying by the end of this month. :D

Darkdrium777
17th May 2008, 04:22 PM
Excuse me Egg, what exactly are your plans for WipEout HD? I'm afraid we did not get the same information. We were all expecting this to come out soon (According to the few information we get for the game through other sites than this one [Bad move]) and you come up and reassure us that everything is OK. Yet, it seems that everything is OK only for your "plan", but what little info we get conflicts with what we had thought about the release date for the game at first.
We know how hard it is to set a definite release date, because afterwards it is more of a deadline and if you do not finish your work before that deadline fans will be rioting.
However, I think (And agree with the people who think the same way) that the time has come to send out more information about the game. WipEout as you say is a niche franchise, well how about trying to get it out of that tight situation? That's what advertising is for. But for now all that has been seen about WipEout HD are a few videos and less than 100 screenshots. That does not really help. WipEout HD is a big title and it should get the attention it deserves. If you are not responsible for the advertising of your game, talk to someone who is. Also, as far as I recall there has been no Q&A about WipEout HD released. Ever. Look at what Insomniac Games is doing, look how Rachet and Clank and Resistance are succesfull. Can't you do the same? I personally believe WipEout to be as succesfull as these two titles, yet it does not have the attention it deserves. Sure, you've got a couple of fanboys all over the web who are ready to publish articles about the game on sites such as 1Up or IGN, but until you get the word out to the masses, nobody will ever read these articles except your loyal fans, because nobody knows the game exists (All right that's an overstatement but still you get the point).
Please, get the word out. Also, I think you need it more that we do. As you know, Pulse did not do very well, and WipEout HD should not meet the same fate. It would be very bad for you if WipEout stayed under the shadows longer.

eLhabib
17th May 2008, 04:42 PM
I think the main problem here is that the marketing folks at Sony don't see the WipEout series as the technical masterpiece and game culture phenomenon it is (was). They just see it as a game that will not appeal to the masses who play EA games. They consider advertising it large scale a waste of money, and stick strictly to advertising it on the Playstation Network, because that's what people need anyway to download it. I don't think they realise that they could blow this one up to a system seller. Trippy visuals and electronic music win over even the most ignorant casual gamer, I bet.

taqili
17th May 2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, and you still have the PS3 for when the game comes out...it's not like they said sell your PS3 because the game's not coming out, then released it the next day.

Colin Berry
17th May 2008, 07:44 PM
As I have said recently it will be out when its ready (we planned for last december initially, however for various issues this could not be achieved, am I going to go into detail, no not at all)

Secondly the date of september is as speculative as a date of tomorrow and is the first I have heard, I'll be stunned if anyone inside Sony with any knowledge is whispering that to people, it is pure speculation.

Its entirely upto each territory when the game will be released and marketed, the team has zero say in marketing and release dates, however given there is an attempt to have this as a worldwide release it can complicate matters, as far as I know the intention is for a simultaneous release and this takes coordination of all territories on release schedules, catalogues and marketing, it might be that it is not workable, but as far as I know that is whats being worked towards.

But if you think we have any say on marketing or whatever.... I mean come on think about it, we are programmers, artists and designers, not marketing people. You want us to go banging on marketings door or advertising demanding answers. . . .that is not how the real world works (and there have been several Q&A released some linked here).

Of course the team would love to see the game advertised on tv, but it is nothing to do with us. Do you think the guys in a car factory get to tell Audi how to advertise the cars they build ? Do you think an actor gets to decide how a film or tv series is marketed and when its released or shown. Have a think about the real world, we develop the game, that is our job, other people advertise and market it, that is their job.

Talk of false advertising and suing sony is so ridiculous it is beyond laughable, I can understand the frustration about lack of information and disappointment that the game is not out yet, but have some perspective.

I can appreciate you want information, but the simple truth is, the game is almost finalised it is 99% done. Once it has gold mastered it will be ready. Then it is for each territory to coordinate and work on a release date.

Honestly guys, dont go jumping off buildings or storming sony offices just because the game might not be out yet. If Eggy or I could tell you a release date we would truth is we dont know, and I am sure there are people working feverishly in SCEE and SCEA on finalising the marketing advertising and release. I am sure the wait wont be much longer before there is more information

omega329
17th May 2008, 07:53 PM
In all honesty, I'm glad you're taking so long with HD, we don't want anything as bug-riddled as pulse...

eLhabib
17th May 2008, 07:55 PM
Colin, thanks for that.

stin
17th May 2008, 09:45 PM
Seriously, I knew that!, because, it`s nothing to do with them no matter what, like Colin said earlier, they are only workers, just like the rest of us. Marketeers are totally different story. Like they are trying to aim to gain a better franchise or whatever.

I cannot believe I wrote this!:robot

stevie:?

BaldyCurly
17th May 2008, 10:08 PM
Gutted but thanks for the update Colin, guess I will have to stick to GT5p a little longer.

Assimilator
17th May 2008, 10:41 PM
I can appreciate you want information, but the simple truth is, the game is almost finalised it is 99% done. Once it has gold mastered it will be ready. Then it is for each territory to coordinate and work on a release date.

If Eggy or I could tell you a release date we would truth is we dont know, and I am sure there are people working feverishly in SCEE and SCEA on finalising the marketing advertising and release. I am sure the wait wont be much longer before there is more information

Hi Colin thanks for the reply and you know that we all appreicate the hard work you guys / programmers have done on pulse and HD

hearing that the game is only 99% complete tells me you guys are still hard at it.

but what that also tels me is that Sony's martketing team are some what disconnected from what you guys are doing and also disconnected with each region.

It would be far better if they only published a TBA next to the release date unit you guys say it's "%100 now go and sell it and set your release date".

To date AU web site says 29/4/08 (out of date)
UK web site said april - june now just says May no actual date
US are now saying summer /q3 08

So in summary it does not seem like the regions are getting together on this title at all.

JABBERJAW
18th May 2008, 01:17 AM
"You want us to go banging on marketings door or advertising demanding answers. . . "

Yes. Think about how much time you put into making the game, and they are not going to advertise it at all, just like pulse. I did not see one thing on pulse in the stores, or on tv. Hence, crappy sales for a pretty good game.

"Talk of false advertising and suing sony is so ridiculous it is beyond laughable, I can understand the frustration about lack of information and disappointment that the game is not out yet, but have some perspective."

If these guys were being serious, I would agree with you, but I thought it was pretty clear they were either joking, or completely frustrated with the lack of information about their favorite game franchise of a game that is 99% done.

I don't think people are on here to argue with you Colin, but getting some information would be nice every once in a while, like the info you just gave. I think people would like to hear how the game plays(like pulse?pure? a little different?). Any changes being done? I think we don't understand why this part has to be so secretive. What would the issue with saying something to the effect of " The game has been sped up a little since pure, and it is a little more floaty". These are the types of things that we like to hear about, and keeps the wipeout community exited about the game.

ColdRem'S
18th May 2008, 11:29 AM
One thing I really appreciate in this forum: there's a dialog between fans that we are and devs (Colin and Egg). This is fantastic. :hyper
However, I must agree with Jabberjaw, what we criticize here is the lack of information. I mean, it is so easy for you to say "the game is 99% done" and so good for us to hear!At least we have something to rely on!;)

In all cases, thank you Colin for reading and answering us.:clap

I'd also like to precise I've been surprised by the number of people all over the web that are saying they just can't wait for this game. Maybe we'll all have a surprise...(I just hope so!)

Darkdrium777
18th May 2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Colin, thanks a lot for taking some of your time to answer :)

I can understand that the developing team is disconnected from the marketing team, and that advertising is non-existent because of that.
However we all like the little bits of info, just like Al said, and I too do not understand why it is such a secret right now. If as you say the game is 99% done (And my request is based only on your assumption, I know how developing stuff and giving a progress bar is an estimate), I would think that the time has come to start sending out a bit more information such as the online features, the gameplay, offline features, etc. because the game should not change much from that date onwards, so you could be safe if something in the game happens to change (Which I doubt, because you seem pretty close to a gold status). This is also the kind of infos we want, and while the news of a possible delay saddens us all, quirks about the game can keep us excited until whenever the game comes out, and could help spreading the name of the game on game websites like IGN or Gamespot. There you could get some advertising as well ;)

But all in all, I am very happy to hear that the game is coming, and that I will get the chance to play it in HD :) I watched the newest trailer about the game on a new Sharp 32 inch HDTV, and I was even more impressed by the graphics than on my 20 inch ViewSonic monitor. It looks very awesome, thanks for making the game happen :D

Rapier Racer
18th May 2008, 04:59 PM
Theres a double page spread in OPM this month, not a lot of info just a big picture of a Piranha at Sol 2, a pretty damn nice picture too. There is a little bit at the side, dev talk a short quote from someone called Clemens Wangerin, Development Director SCE Studio Liverpool: "Wipeout HD completely redefines the benchmark for Playstation Network games on PS3"

Really? If it's gonna be some sort of PSN flagship title you'd expect at lease some form of advertising right?

Oh yeah the mag is still saying spring for release.

Norfolk'n'Clue
19th May 2008, 12:49 PM
We shouldn't be really that surprised that dates change on different websites - big companies always have problems co-ordinating their right and left hands, sometimes even failing to find their arse with both of them.

[Edit]Although Eurogamer's preview seems to say the same as Colin above - nigh on complete. Generally very positive too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=135081&page=2

WipEout HD's close relationship with Pure and Pulse means that a lot of it is familiar, like the weapons - quake, leech, cannons, shields, machineguns, autopilot - and the ability to replenish your craft's health by absorbing power-ups, but then WipEout's old-school blend of high-speed, high-concept steer-from-the-back hover-racing, learning boost pad positions to zoom past other racers across futuristic Blade Runner worlds, is as strong now as it was in 1995, and much better for the new visuals. If the price is right, and Sony Liverpool eliminates the minor slowdown and tearing, this will be what we're being told it is, and so we shall celebrate.My Italics.

Which might explain for the liquid releae date.

JABBERJAW
19th May 2008, 01:58 PM
I think something that would help out here, is a demo. One track, two ships(fast acceleration vs fast speed), on TT and arcade, any speed class. This is a small amount of content, but could get people exited about the game (non wipeout people), not to mention just knowing it exists. It believe the people on this forum would be very satisfied with something like this (and certainly would cause less complaining about information). How are you going to complain, when you are playing the game :)

Most other games get demos on the ps3 store, why not this one? especially since it is a sony game.

Norfolk'n'Clue
19th May 2008, 02:55 PM
I wonder how much work you'd need to put in to chop the game down though - it might not just be case of deleting chunks of code. If it required significant work, I'd rather they spent their effort on the game :)

Bytehawk
19th May 2008, 03:01 PM
that would be up to the marketing guys to decide and then ask the development house to provide a demo if I read colin's message correctly.

ColdRem'S
19th May 2008, 04:52 PM
Well I think that if the game was 99% done last week, it WILL be finished on the 29th of May. The main question is: will they wait until everyone is ready (SCEE,SCEA,...) for a world release (and if so will it be the case by the end of May?) or will they release the game in Europe first and then later (summer) elsewhere?(Hope my English is clear :sonar)

Let me remind you that GT5 Prologue which is a major (if not the biggest) PSN release was released in Europe before The US (but after Japan of course).

I'd be really sorry for you guys over the Atlantic, but I really hope I'll enjoy WipeHD next week!;)

BaldyCurly
19th May 2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I hope so too.

Rapier Racer
19th May 2008, 05:16 PM
Great a world wide release, so what now we have to wait 3, 4 months till SCEA is ready to release? (Remember Pulse yes?) A European game with a release that is probably going to be dictated the by US arm of SCE, just great, it looks like that devision don't give a rats ass about the franchise already based on the way Pulse was released.

Ota
19th May 2008, 06:17 PM
Pulse was neither a world wide, nor was it a us - eu simultaneous relaese. Relax.
Things get out of hand here with the high level of anticipation and frustration.
It all sounds like mines-bomb-rockets-mines-mines-quake-bomb-quake to me atm.

Sausehuhn
19th May 2008, 07:10 PM
99% complete + 1% missing + testing phase + PEGI (http://uk.ign.com/pegi.html) = end of May?

Nah. Don't think so. Of course I'll jump in circles if I'm wrong.

ColdRem'S
19th May 2008, 07:26 PM
Hum... simple question, isn't the "testing phase" before the game is finished???

Usually, there are around two or three weeks between the time the game is announced as "gold" and its release. I guess this time is to burn DVDs and make game's packages. But a PSN release doesn't need this additionnal time... Am I wrong?

Sausehuhn
19th May 2008, 07:31 PM
Good question! Should be, yeah.

Assimilator
19th May 2008, 08:34 PM
maybe the last 1% is the making of the demo

Bytehawk
19th May 2008, 09:25 PM
naah, it's pressing 'compile'

Rapier Racer
19th May 2008, 09:40 PM
Uploading it to the PSN :p

Hellfire_WZ
19th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Installing Arnaud's "Arsekicker v6" software so he can own all our faces again ;)

Colin Berry
19th May 2008, 10:44 PM
We cant go banging on marketings door, they wouldnt want us telling them their job anymore than we would want them telling us ours :D

Afaik - No PSN games have had demos prior to release

If I could tell you a release date I would, until a release date is set properly there wont be much marketing or info push.

Me and Egg posting on here and Rob when he was still at Sony is strictly at our discretion, we are all under NDAs (none disclosure agreements) and everything we say we have to be careful about. We are not permitted to give out much info, strictly speaking we should not post on here but it is for the most part seen as a good fan relationship and nothing we say is of much relevance :D but we can not post up some things for various reasons, and we cant post everyday usually I post from home, because during the day at the moment, I am really busy and not just with wipeout related things

Handling wise and play wise
Its not faster than pulse its the same, sometimes the speed sensation is greater sometimes less, honestly depends on the person playing
The near camera is now NEAR, the ships look huge, the far camera is the old near cam, the old far cam has gone
It feels a little floatier the handling was altered and is not identical to Pulse, its more between Pulse and Pure
The game feels very responsive down to playing on a controller and being 60fps

The final testing phase of a game works like this - company submits for sony master approval what they think is final - if a fix is needed, it has to be fixed and put back through the entire cycle. Any game with multiplayer takes a lot longer as it requires far more testing in general and for approval during this time you can not make changes to the code without resubmitting for the enitre process

The game is almost finished, once it is ready and passed approval, marketing will decide when to release it.

cybrpnk
19th May 2008, 11:15 PM
fair enough Colin...thanks for the feedback...yours and Egg's presence on wipeoutzone are always appreciated...

plus...I still have to get through pulse anyway...so i think i can wait for HD just a little bit longer...must admit...for a PSN game...there is a lot of love for WipEout, from Studio Liverpool on the development side, and from the fans

I just hope Sony realises this and will continue to push this series as far as it can go, making evolutionary changes along the way...

Darkdrium777
20th May 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your great feedback and patience Colin! It is very appreciated :)

Hopefully all the bugs can be ironed out soon so we get to play it ;)

RJ O'Connell
20th May 2008, 02:50 AM
Thank you Mr. Berry. I'll likely be late coming to the HD experience, but hopefully I'll be playing a quality game.

loxy
20th May 2008, 06:02 AM
Thank you Collin, according to these informations we can deduce that we will not play wipeout hd for May 29 (next week,that appears difficult to me) since it is not finished (almost), add the time of the process of validation...
patience...:dizzy

ColdRem'S
20th May 2008, 06:15 AM
Thank you very much Colin for answering our questions and giving us some infos.

I didn't think about NDAs but that seems logical.

loxy
20th May 2008, 06:28 AM
on the uk playstation web site , the release date move from may 2008 to "TBC" ...

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 06:43 AM
lol TBC now why was that not put there in the first place.

AU website still says 29/04/08 LOL even after ringing and emailing them several times

I have also submitted a complaint to the ACCC

Now my question to you colin and you proberbly not be able to answer it but if markteing are watting for gold to be approved before they decide when it's going to be released?

Why have several regions been publishing dates at all ?

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 07:56 AM
Maybe end of may, maybe the end of june, depending on marketing spend/effort...?

Will admit I bought a PS3 on the basis of this game coming out, and perhaps think Sony aren't making as much of this release as they could. (Having said that, with Drake's and Tekken 5 and the unit's silence, the 360 hasn't had a look in!).

There is quite a lot of press though I guess, not as much as say, GTA IV, but enough gaming sites are talking about it to generate enthusiasm - the cheapest marketing of all!

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 08:07 AM
the best way to market Wipeout HD would be to put it up on plasma screens in trance/dance music playing night clubs :)

wipeout is not wipeout without the doof doof :D

kit-yun
20th May 2008, 08:38 AM
I really am disgusted that it did not release at the end of May, envisaged at the end of 2007. For me there is nothing better than WipEout, I am a big fan since the very first one. But I understand that it is not you who choose the release date, if it's June ok, but later that would be terrible. thank you for the details.

Skvall
20th May 2008, 09:10 AM
"..and Sony Liverpool eliminates the minor slowdown and tearing,"

I really hope they do. Imo 720p@stable fps > 1080p@ almost stable fps. There are probably other ways to improve FPS than changing the resolution but having 1080p without a stable framerate is just a really weird choice.

Egg
20th May 2008, 09:19 AM
Now my question to you colin and you proberbly not be able to answer it
I seriously doubt you'll be hearing much more from Colin.

Complaining to the ACCC, good grief

infoxicated
20th May 2008, 10:12 AM
I have also submitted a complaint to the ACCC
And a big round of applause to the schooling system in Melbourne.

eLhabib
20th May 2008, 10:26 AM
What's the ACCC? Sorry, just curious...
Nevermind, just wiki'd it - NOT a smart move AT ALL :(

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 10:55 AM
lol it was advised by someone the playstation forums when I requested to find contact details for marketing department of Sony

Now I’m sorry as much as you guys want to defend Wipeout. Sony's Marketing team has dropped the ball on this and made many of its customers un happy getting stuffed around with false release dates. and after may phone and email complaints to Sony customer service here in au the release date of 29/04/08 has still not been fixed nor were they will to offer me some sort of compensation for my time being wasted chasing them up on why the game has not been released.

Colin and Egg I’m sorry if I have dragged you into this there are no hard feelings to you guys at all you guys are the reason I’m drooling over the trailers and screen shots, but as a diehard gamer that bought his ps3 5 months ago expecting Sony to come good on the December release I’m disgusted with how their customer service and marketing team has handled the situation and I want some form of apology to me and you guys for the misconstrued info this game has received in the media.

eLhabib
20th May 2008, 10:56 AM
I never thought I'd ever say this in the context of wipEout, but: IT'S JUST A GAME, JEEZ!

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 11:03 AM
I will direct you guys to the site there are laws in this county about misleading or deceptive advertising.
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815335

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 11:09 AM
I think you might need to consider taking life a little less seriously. You might have a heart attack.

Egg
20th May 2008, 11:12 AM
I’m disgusted with how their customer service and marketing team has handled the situation and I want some form of apology

Good luck with that, then.

Seriously though, mate...

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 11:23 AM
I fully take on board what you guys are saying that it's only a game and all.

But as a consumer that has paid good money for ps3 hardware for a product that has been falsly advertised, i'm well with in my rights as a consumer to complain.

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 11:26 AM
Actually, this is a wind up isn't it? Any second now Jeremy Beadle is going to pop up. It's the only explaination.

kit-yun
20th May 2008, 11:27 AM
a friend called Sony, one confirmed the dated May 29 for Europe. I don't see why that would be a lie...no reason, if it were not sure it would have said it I think....

Egg
20th May 2008, 11:29 AM
But you haven't actually paid money for a product! - other than the console, and Sony can't be held responsible for your original reasons for buying that.

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 11:42 AM
well that is where the deceptive side oif the law kicks in

I mean hell even after I purchased my PS3 there was a upcomming games flyer in the box with the console and guess what game was previewed in it Wipeout HD for december.

EDIT: P.S.

Egg you need to understand the complaint is not about the product it's about the misleading advertisment of the product.

infoxicated
20th May 2008, 11:49 AM
Any second now Jeremy Beadle is going to pop up.
Only if you dig deeper than he's buried and stick copious amounts of dynamite underneath him. :D

BaldyCurly
20th May 2008, 12:00 PM
Very good Rob, sick, but good :)

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 12:04 PM
I bet his beard is still there. It will never rot!

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 12:10 PM
ahh good old british humor i'll never quite fully understand it but it still make me laugh :)

rushin
20th May 2008, 12:10 PM
umm? Having convinced myself that this isnt some strange attempt at humour i have to say you seriously need to get out more. a lot more.

you honestly a) have nothing better to do and b) thought it was a good idea to make a complaint because a release date for a game slipped!?!? Oh and c) posted it on one of the very few forums where fans and dev's interact thus having a good go at ruining that experience for everyone else.

If this wasnt so tragic i would be laughing a lot more. As it is the evil net geek side of me is whispering STFU n00b and similar pearls of wisdom. o_o

sorry, i know its flaming and flaming is bad and all, but meh. kinda deserves it. palm meet forehead. forehead meet wall, etc, etc.

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 12:29 PM
@ rushin Please accept my deepest appoligy for bringing my dispute with sony customer service or there lack of to this forum.

however after all it's in no way off topic.

and if you guys are happy to let sony gerk you around with their tripe then thats fine with me

as for me being a noob well I it's become aparrent that no one here seems to have the brain capasity to comprehend what i'm saying (oh sorry I don't mean to flame) I'm not disrespecting the game
rather i'm say that Sony's marketing has disrespected the game with their inabillity to publish true infomation about a simple release date.

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 12:36 PM
@ rushin: Please accept my deepest apologies for bringing my dispute with Sony customer service or lack thereof to this forum.

However after all, it's in no way off topic.

If you guys are happy to let Sony jerk you around with their tripe then that's fine with me.

As for me being a noob well, it's become apparent that no-one here seems to have the brain capacity to comprehend what I'm saying. (Oh sorry I don't mean to flame). I'm not disrespecting the game.

Rather i'm sad that Sony's marketing has disrespected the game with their inabillity to publish true infomation about a simple release date.

Fixed, from someone with an obvious low brain capacity :D

Assimilator
20th May 2008, 12:40 PM
Fixed, from someone with an obvious low brain capacity :D

meh who needs a brain when theres spell checkers LOL :P

Cheers Buddy

Egg
20th May 2008, 12:46 PM
as for me being a noob well I it's become aparrent that no one here seems to have the brain capasity to comprehend what i'm saying (oh sorry I don't mean to flame)
It's spelt 'capacity'.

Seriously, though, customer services were hardly likely to be able to help, when they're no wiser about a launch date than anyone else. They're in no way attached to the dev team or marketing - they're just given a list of details and dates.

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 12:48 PM
Cheers Buddy

It wasn't to help you.

infoxicated
20th May 2008, 12:50 PM
and if you guys are happy to let sony gerk you around with their tripe then thats fine with me

as for me being a noob well I it's become aparrent that no one here seems to have the brain capasity to comprehend what i'm saying
That's enough - take a ****ing seat for a couple of days, and in the meantime try to make it out of puberty so that the members here aren't taking the brunt of your adolescent tantrums.

JABBERJAW
20th May 2008, 01:37 PM
This was a pretty good conversation, until the complaint thing. Thanks for clearing that up Colin. I am definitely dissapointed with marketing not asking for a demo. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, in that Sony would make more money since more games would be sold. Glad to hear it is a little floatier, and the controls are in between pulse and pure. We will get a different experience from both games.
When you guys put out those amazing screenshots, everyone wanted the game immediately.

Lance
20th May 2008, 03:33 PM
Having learnt by reading this thread that assimilator is banned, but realising that he should still be able to read this, I say: There is an old American farming expression- ''Don't count your chickens before they've been hatched.'' It is unwise and even foolish and certainly naive to expect that everything that has been promised can be delivered. That is not how the world is. Likewise, there is no reason whatsoever for someone to receive compensation for making an effort that was purely voluntary on their own part. Wanting compensation for the time and trouble one went to to complain about an unrealistic expectation not being fulfilled? That is compounding the initial error.

Then coming here and ignoring the most major of all forum rules everywhere [Respect and do not flame] plus a minor rule for dessert, that is an indicator of pettiness and misplaced self-centredness. Flaming posters because they didn't agree with you and thereby bruised your ego? Major sign of immaturity.

[Ends ranting commentary.]

eLhabib
20th May 2008, 03:49 PM
To put an end to the current vibe in here (and to get back on topic ;)) - pretty much all the european playstation.com sites have updated the status on wipEout HD from 'May 2008' to 'TBC'. I guess that we can safely assume now it's DEFINITELY NOT coming in May. Well bugger. Must admit I am very disappointed, especially since my DS3 arrived yesterday.
Now I just hope wipEout HD doesn't release anywhere between June 15th and July 1st, because that would really ruin my vacation ;)

Colin Berry
20th May 2008, 04:44 PM
Release dates are always subject to change

Film
Book
Music
Game

Also the sites that ran 29th may as release date will have done so in good faith, just as when I was interviewed last August in Leipzig, I said in all good faith we would be out by the end of the year (07). But circumstances change and for all the will in the world things happen beyond the control of people some large things, some small, many that to most people would seem completely un-related.

loxy
20th May 2008, 05:53 PM
yes Collin , but most part of the frustation comes from the fact that this famous date of 29 may has just been canceled at only 10 days of the hypothetic release...
we knew advertisements of delay at the past(especially for the video games it is frequent) but rarely also late ... of course it is Sony the faulty in this story, in this case they would do better keep silent...

what we all hope now , it is that the next date announced will be the definitive and especially in agreement with the reel advance of the product ...
thank you to continue to take part collin :)

Darkdrium777
20th May 2008, 06:03 PM
I have to thank both Egg and Colin for sticking with Wipeoutzone through all the nonsense above. Seriously, I admire you guys :) Thanks for being here to answer our questions :clap

All we can do now is wait, and like loxy said: hopefully the next date announced will be the real deal, so we can all rock on :guitar

Ota
20th May 2008, 06:11 PM
@loxy: that famous date was never an official one. it came from jeux video, if i remember right, quoting an unknown source.

Ally Graham
20th May 2008, 06:11 PM
Good things come to those that wait.
I would rather that we have a game that runs well and works the way we have been told, rather than have a game that does not run as well as we had hoped or how we had been told that it would. I like my cake baked, not when it is sloppy and uncooked :)

Ota
20th May 2008, 06:16 PM
Yes, and my plasma will almost be paid when it is released. ;)

loxy
20th May 2008, 06:37 PM
@loxy: that famous date was never an official one. it came from jeux video, if i remember right, quoting an unknown source.

it was necessary official date , because it was on the sony web sites (since how many time ago the date of sony are not official? )...so, from the site which announced it, it was the date of release too from sony himself as source

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/wipeout-hd-la-date-de-sortie-se-fete-en-videos-actu-135502.html

;)

xtriko
20th May 2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you Colin and Egg for keep with this forum. As you can see, not every guys here are imature. We know that the team are doing the best work possible and we will be waiting for all the time you need to complete this game. Wish you the best luck with your work and once again, thank you. XtriKO and Spitfire2097

Ota
20th May 2008, 07:07 PM
it was necessary official date , because it was on the sony web sites

The european Playstation sites only showed May as it did only show vague launch periods before. Nothing specific. Recently they changed it to unconfirmed. This forum casts long shadows. ;)

loxy
20th May 2008, 07:40 PM
never the exact date is write on playstation site...see metal gear solid 4 which release sure on 12 june...just announced "june 2008" , and "may 2008" confirm well 29 may (don't be of bad faith Ota)
"Recently they changed it to unconfirmed"...yes, this morning...

Rapier Racer
20th May 2008, 08:32 PM
There was also that PSN release sheet thing kicking around with Wipeout HD on it at the end of May, I wonder if they'll be announcing another date anytime soon.

Anyway in light of this re-scheduling I'm off to get my compensation lol!! :g:dizzy

BaldyCurly
21st May 2008, 02:45 PM
Just my thoughts, but....

WipeoutHD features online play, it's one of the key elements, right?

The PS3 has no common framework accoss all games yet for chat, invites, etc, games do provide this at varing levels but it's not common across all games/devs. Many of these features are coming either a XMB update or HOME. Maybe WipeoutHD needs these new features enabled first as it's a Sony 1st party game BEFORE the online elements will work as planned.

Could this be the reason for multiple delay(s), Not WO:HD, Not SL but the core online elements that are planned for the PS3 but not out yet for whatever reason. I know that GT5p online sucks the fat one without private races, chat and the like.

Just a thought ...

Darkdrium777
21st May 2008, 03:05 PM
In game music and in game messaging (through your PSN friend list) are already possible. Two little "plugins" (If we may call them that) were developped by Sony and have been released, so some games such as Resistance Fall of Man feature in game messaging (sadly only through the online main menu) while others such as Super Stardust HD feature in game custom music for all levels. These applications should be able to work from anywhere withing the game too so I doubt that it could be a problem implementing them into the Pause menu of WipEout HD or something, as well as in the main menu. What's missing is obviously the live chat (with microphone) that is available in the XMB but this may be a little harder to implement because it has to use the internet too, with the game running on the net as well (While the others do not require such resources).
Also, features such as password protected games are already available in PULSE and with the in game messaging I talked about earlier, you could theorethically send a message to one of your friend saying: "Hey, I just made a WipEout HD game, come and join it! The password is "chuck norris" without the " " or something like that ;) However, speaking of Live chat earlier, while the XMB's standardized interface may not be available in game, it doesn't prevent the game from having it's own voice chat. Also, WipEout HD could feature it's very own "Buddy List" (Again like RFoM) which would allow in game invitations to races without the need to resort to the PSN friend list and messaging systems.
All in all, there are many ways that the core features of the online game could be available to us in WipEout HD, so I doubt that they could be the reason for the delays. What Colin said about the game being 99% complete might mean that there are still some stability problems while playing online. Then, the server side must be complete too, and the marketing team must be ready to publish a firm release date and start doing their job like they should be doing.

BaldyCurly
21st May 2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah I know that devs have the option to include ingame PSN mates access and chat; Burnout does a pretty good job of this too, but it's still at the game level and not the OS level.

My understanding was that we(PS3 owners) are getting a common framework for these key features for online play and maybe, just maybe this was the cause.

It will be nice when I can invite a mate to game when he is playing something else even, swap disks and game on. This ain't possible at the moment accoss dissimular games and if these features are due soon then it could prompt a delay.

That said the 1% could be anything, I run my own software development company, not games, databases and .net on the web/intranet mainly but I do know how the little things trip you up sometimes and cause unforseen issues and delay.

Fair play to Colin and Egg for posting here, pls don't stop because of a silly bugger or two posting on here, I for one value your NDA constrained information, long may it contiune.

Rapier Racer
21st May 2008, 03:26 PM
Eh they won't delay it till home comes out surely! We'd be looking at Autumn/Fall if they did, and I don't need to tell you my opinion on that.

BaldyCurly
21st May 2008, 03:47 PM
I really don't know mate, just striking up some more interest in when this bad boy is finally gonna hit the PSN store. Constructive interest, thats all.

Sausehuhn
21st May 2008, 03:48 PM
Just came across a German website with the news that WOHD is TBA.
That article got a hell lot of posts ^^
Seems like there are more WO fans out there than I thought ;)
They even discussed if it's because of the release of Fatal Inertia (which I highly doubt). Some even mentioned Fall/Autumn for release.

If you ask me, it's within the next two months.
The worst thing Sony can do is announcing another fixed release date.
The gamers out there are angry. Not because the game needs longer than expected but because the release was delayed so many times now. They should have taken "TBA" from the start. Or say Fall/Autumn 2008.
Fans always react positively about too early releases ;)

Anyway. Good to hear it's on the finish line, Colin :)

taqili
21st May 2008, 04:15 PM
I so dearly hope that it is released with some sort of voice chat, if at no other time simply in between races to let people know that we're waiting for someone or host has to get some food or whatever. So many games of Pulse have to be started too soon because people will leave otherwise...

Also, custom soundtrack in Pulse definitely needs to continue in HD... sometimes I want to break my Burnout disc because the soundtrack in that game is the nut low.

piper999
21st May 2008, 04:29 PM
They even discussed if it's because of the release of Fatal Inertia (which I highly doubt).

I also doubt it. If I remember the name of the game correctly I think I downloaded a demo of Fatal Inertia on my 360. It was terrible.

eLhabib
21st May 2008, 04:39 PM
Well, the preview build had one of the shoulder buttons mapped to 'voice chat', so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be in the game, in-race. Usually, if there's a button called 'voice chat' (see Halo3) you press it to open a channel to talk (so it doesn't have to be open all the time, in order not to eat up connection speed).

Chill
22nd May 2008, 03:38 AM
But HD is going to be badass though!!! :P (looking at the cup half-full, the water is actually fresher than the air)...

Wip3ou7
22nd May 2008, 04:57 AM
I have a sad suspicion that WOHD is farther away than we think... the ads for the game say "Gravity ends in 2008"... you think they would say something like "Summer 2008" or fall, winter, etc... It might be christmas before we see this freaking game... I remember it when it was supposed to be out in like, september or october of last year, then it was christmas, etc... keeps getting pushed back and soon it will be a full year later than originally slated. :(