PDA

View Full Version : Release date (merged)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Bytehawk
7th July 2008, 10:42 AM
yes, indeed you clearly notice the difference

I'd just like to add one thing : You notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps too, imho this is more important than full hd.

eLhabib
7th July 2008, 10:43 AM
definitely for a game like wipEout.

RJ O'Connell
7th July 2008, 02:15 PM
Odd that the only game that has had 60 FPS in series history has been called the worst of them all by most of the 'Zoners...

Quasi
7th July 2008, 03:40 PM
Just Checking, isnt that F-Zero X?

omega329
7th July 2008, 03:43 PM
Odd that the only game that has had 60 FPS in series history has been called the worst of them all by most of the 'Zoners...
+10 to that (if I could), from what I've seen, wipeout works best when limited hardware-wise.
@quasi, fusion was 60 FPS as well

eLhabib
7th July 2008, 05:25 PM
I guess my emotions towards Fusion are playing tricks on me, because I sure remember it to be not very smooth... jeez, maybe I should go back to playing it once in a while. Maybe I was just blinded by the complete lack of wipEout style...

ColdRem'S
7th July 2008, 05:37 PM
Well, in fact it wasn't all the time...:dizzy

dobyblue
7th July 2008, 07:50 PM
720p/1080p makes very little difference unless you have a 50" plazma or a projector setup.

That's not true - 1080p makes a difference depending on your viewing distance and screen size.

On a 22" LCD monitor at 2-3 ft with a resolution of 1920x1200 1080p makes a noticeable difference over 720p.

On a 50" plasma at 20ft 1080p makes little to no difference over 720p.

Without viewing distance taken into account, generalizations are meaningless.

http://rob-the.geek.nz/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/resolution_chart.png

Darkdrium777
7th July 2008, 09:01 PM
If this graph was correct, that means I should not see any difference between 480p and 1080p if I sit 12 feet (3.6 meters) away from my TV (I am in the blue triangle, and have a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p). The big problem is that I see a HUGE difference. 408p is barely watchable at any distance IMO. And my TV upscales it too...

rdmx
8th July 2008, 03:03 AM
Fusion was definitely not 60 FPS - and couldn't have been if you lived in Europe - 50 hz anyone?
It may have seemed smooth because the game used slowdown instead of frame skipping.

cybrpnk
8th July 2008, 03:09 AM
yeah....frame rate usually dropped big time when everyone on my screen decideds to deploy a weapon...and when I used something like the flamethrower...when it was smooth it was smooth...but when it got choppy...man...it was like I was trying to fly in bullet-time...only that my controls were not as responsive as I wanted it to be...

dobyblue
8th July 2008, 01:44 PM
If this graph was correct, that means I should not see any difference between 480p and 1080p if I sit 12 feet (3.6 meters) away from my TV (I am in the blue triangle, and have a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p). The big problem is that I see a HUGE difference. 408p is barely watchable at any distance IMO. And my TV upscales it too...

It is a general graph and is not bible by any means.
I have 15/15 vision with my glasses on and 20/25 without and the difference between 1080p and 480p on a 32" 1080p LCD at around 10ft is not huge by any means with the same source. However when you're comparing different sources, like a 30 Mbps AVC/MPEG-4 1080p encode (BD) versus a 5 Mbps MPEG-2 480i encode (DVD) then there are other factors coming into play.

However, these are good goodlines with which to base viewing distance on screen size with resolution and there's no way you'd catch me sitting 12ft away from a 32" TV.

With a 50" 1080p plasma around 6-8ft is ideal for me.

Darkdrium777
8th July 2008, 02:07 PM
Yes that's the thing too nobody sits as far so even if it is "generally accurate" nobody has this behaviour...

Lance
8th July 2008, 04:16 PM
This is wandering a bit far and long from "Release Date". Perhaps a new topic concerning screen resolution would be good?

Darkdrium777
8th July 2008, 04:58 PM
My resolution is to get back on topic! :g

dobyblue
8th July 2008, 08:12 PM
Yes that's the thing too nobody sits as far so even if it is "generally accurate" nobody has this behaviour...

Well from my experience around the various HT boards like www.avsforum.com, www.blu-ray.com, www.audioholics.com, www.ecoustics.com, www.hometheaterforum.com, www.highdefdigest.com, www.highdefforum.com, www.avtalk.co.uk and many other sites this graph is actually very representative of where people who know what they're talking about when it comes to high definition sit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z7NUns4xr66/Learn/learningcenter/home/tv_faq.html
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-2.html
http://dickstvcenter.com/viewing_distance_guide.htm
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
http://technology360.typepad.com/technology360/2006/09/hdtv_viewing_di.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2218288,00.asp
http://www.hdhes.com/tv/hdtvsize.aspx

This is also supported by SMPTE and THX specifications.

cybrpnk
9th July 2008, 12:20 PM
hmmm...this is taking awhile isn't it???

week after week of silence...hmph

now that firmware 2.41 is out...who's putting bets on when they will actually give us just that little bit of news on HD

BaldyCurly
9th July 2008, 12:26 PM
With a 50" 1080p plasma around 6-8ft is ideal for me.

With or with out the glasses?

RJ O'Connell
9th July 2008, 12:27 PM
now that firmware 2.41 is out...who's putting bets on when they will actually give us just that little bit of news on HD
500 rupees on August!

dobyblue
9th July 2008, 12:44 PM
With or with out the glasses?

Without - 20/25 vision is just about perfect, I only need the glasses for computer work as I start getting headaches looking at a monitor from 8-5 five days a week!

500 rupees on August!
I'll take half of that action!

Sumimasen
9th July 2008, 02:22 PM
Well, I knew it couldn't last...

I finished MGS4, and hoped that HD would be out by now, so I could actually use the PS3 continuously for more than 2 weeks... Now I'm engrossed in playing through the Halo trilogy again (as well as a bit of Naruto/Rock Band/GH Aerosmith), but all on the Xbox 360...

Boo!

I'm still hoping for this month, but the way this has been delayed, I'm not counting on it.

With regard to the HDTV discussion, I had a 27" Samsung 720p HD LCD, and recently upgraded to a 37" 1080p Samsung. The difference is VERY noticable, but more so on certain games. Burnout Paradise, Halo 3 and Naruto look STUNNING in 1080p. GT5P actually looks worse, as the graphical glitches are all the more obvious. Films on BD and HD-DVD also look WAY better.

Rubix42
9th July 2008, 03:13 PM
Crossing fingers for a HD release tomorrow, or at least getting some news next week at E3.

Rapier Racer
9th July 2008, 04:15 PM
Release tomorrow :p I think you'll need to cross your fingers so hard you'll break them before that happens. ;)

Rubix42
9th July 2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, it's got hard to type, so I just took a picture with them crossed so hard I was white-knuckling.

As much as we love Wipeout though, I'm feeling like it is a little unloved from the gaming community as a whole.

Case in point is this, Joystiq is a pretty respected blogging site about gaming news, and in their Sony prediction Wipeout is not mentioned once.

Axel
9th July 2008, 08:21 PM
This is disappointing. Ah well, as long as it does not come out when I'm on Holiday. that is 1-11th of August Colin :)

JABBERJAW
9th July 2008, 11:43 PM
Fusion definitely ran at 60 fps in the US, Time trial and zone mode ran flawlessly. in europe it ran at 50 fps. Sometimes when the weapons went off, the game slowed down, and was really noticable on some tracks where the AI went ape **** with the weapons

Sugar_from_OTW
10th July 2008, 09:40 AM
where the AI went ape **** with the weapons

that was like every track!

Rubix42
10th July 2008, 05:53 PM
Just a few hours until we find out what's in the PRE-3 PSN update.

Any takers on a Wipeout HD release today? I personally doubt it, but here's hoping.

kanar
10th July 2008, 06:53 PM
hi ,

Why don't you guyz do the same thing i do : turn off ps3 (after u finished mgs4 or battlefield or haze (rapier), & just wait with pulse/pure/old one. I turned it off, that's the best way to prove to sony I'm really waiting for Hd.:hyper

omega329
10th July 2008, 07:35 PM
or join the wipeoutzone Folding@home team!

rushin
11th July 2008, 02:41 PM
I feel i should engage in some pointless speculation and point to you thesixthaxis (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/07/11/tsas-e3-predictions/) who humbly suggest this from E3

75 - 100% Chance
WipeoutHD is done, download from the PSN Store on Tuesday

/dreams

eLhabib
11th July 2008, 02:58 PM
jeez. I wonder where all these sites are pulling their release infos from. (Their asses, most likely, yes.)
We are at the source. The source is called Colin. Don't even listen to the crap out there :mr-t

Sumimasen
11th July 2008, 04:38 PM
Fact is, I welcome any release date speculation, simply because it means that people are still talking about WOHD, and it's not being forgotten. Frankly, after all the delays, I'm surprised that web sites are still talking about the release, rather than branding it 'Vaporware' (knowing how fickle the internet is).

That said, I don't believe a word of this speculation. It's just good that other people 'on the outside' care enough to mention WO.

Also, hate to say it, but there is no chance that the release date will be announced on this forum over E3, if that's what they intend to do. Not saying it's right or anything, but it's fact - it's in the hands of the evil marketing men now, and they don't care about us. Even if the guys at SL DID feel that our loyalty should be rewarded, I'd bet my wife that it's no longer their call.

Anyway, time to 'quit ma jibber jabber'...

eLhabib
11th July 2008, 04:48 PM
Fact is, according to Colin Berry, wipEout HD is NOT in the hands of Sony's marketing yet, it is still being finished at SL. When it's finished, we will have word from Colin, and then it's in the hands of Sony when to release it. So (again, interpreting Colin's words) there is no chance of a release date being announced by Sony without us knowing that the game is finished.

Sumimasen
11th July 2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I was talking about the release date, not the date it get's finished, so I guess we agree... Kinda ;)

Rapier Racer
11th July 2008, 05:38 PM
I think we all wish they would release it next week and we also all know they won't, shut up you silly sixthaxis people this doesn't help impatient people who already have a hard time waiting and waiting and waiting :p

KIGO1987
11th July 2008, 06:10 PM
Would be cool if it comes out on the 15th of this month still.. Thats Tue/Wed of next week. Now i dont want someone to have a sad at me again about the suggested release date, Im hoping it ill be out that week that is all. If not i am fine with that. Colin Berry hasnt posted anything since the 4th so its still just a waiting game. Orange, it might just miss the 50000th hit youve been waiting for.

cybrpnk
12th July 2008, 06:41 AM
aw well...

I swear Sony has this all planned out...making me buy up almost everything on the PSN as I check almost every week for HD...

Just got echochrome...pretty cool concept for a game...very, very innovative...now it's cause of these games I prefer Sony above all else...very fresh stuff as oppose to all the FPSs, car racers and RPGs out there...don't get me wrong...there are some absolute gems out there in these genres...but its great to know that the devs at Sony are continually exploring new grounds...eg Little Big Planet...

Also recently became a newcomer to Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2...and I have to say...being a huge fan of the book...this is like the book presented in blu-ray...absolutely beautiful tactical shooter...makes me feel like Ding Chavez...frikkin cool

On topic...let's hope all this quiteness from Colin and the gang is the calm before the storm...and when the storm does hit...it will blow our minds away...

Nadia Elenova
14th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Maybe it's not tomorrow, but we ALL are gonna check the store anyway, right? :rock (It took so long because of the Hi res skin editor :p) ARGh, can't wait to see you all in HD 8)

Rubix42
14th July 2008, 04:26 PM
Sony did promise updates throughout the week, and a big store update on Thursday. . .

Fiznu
14th July 2008, 05:47 PM
Fact is, according to Colin Berry, wipEout HD is NOT in the hands of Sony's marketing yet, it is still being finished at SL. When it's finished, we will have word from Colin, and then it's in the hands of Sony when to release it. So (again, interpreting Colin's words) there is no chance of a release date being announced by Sony without us knowing that the game is finished.

How can that be? The game has already been submitted to be rated. It is my understanding that an unfinished game can not be rated? Am I wrong?

Sony did promise updates throughout the week, and a big store update on Thursday. . .

Yes, daily updates this week with new content for Super Stardust HD and Elefunk promised. Lets keep our fingers crossed for Wipeout!

Paradoxx
15th July 2008, 06:35 AM
I don't think WO can be released like that, without any news.

Axel
15th July 2008, 07:04 AM
I don't think WO can be released like that, without any news.

TBH I think your right. We will see a lot of buzz about the game before it is released. This is when we know when the game will come out. Until then guys, sit tight guys. Looks like my Wii will be getting a heck loads of attention now :D

Rapier Racer
15th July 2008, 10:34 AM
You don't think Wipeout can be released without any news? Did you miss the Pulse stealth release bit then yes? They did it once they can do it again.

HD has an advantage though, there will be a big Wipeout HD screen in your face as soon you enter the PS Store when it comes out. People still need to know its coming though, not everyone checks the store every week especially in Europe where the updates are largely gash compared to the Jap and US stores.

Axel
15th July 2008, 11:14 AM
This is meant to be the flagship game for the PSN online store. Sony are not that stupid to stealth release this title.

rushin
15th July 2008, 01:45 PM
they just let square release FF XIII on xbox, i think we can credit them for being pretty bloody stupid :(

it's all very well to sit back and let m$ pay their way into this generation with exclusives but to just let key PS brands go multiplatform is gonna hurt them more than they realise. meh.

Norfolk'n'Clue
15th July 2008, 03:02 PM
I guess the point is that these guys who manage the areas of the companies that decide this sort of thing are privvy to all sorts of data that us, as peons, are not. So decisions that seem nonsensical to us will make some kid of sense to them. That's not to say that all business sense is good.

Axel
15th July 2008, 05:57 PM
Lol the only thing not making me sell my PS3 and get another 360 is Wipeout to behonest. The 360 now has everything, but it's cheaper and has a better online system. I think Sony might be in trouble again for 2008. Roll on 2009 eh? :P

TheFrostE
15th July 2008, 07:06 PM
nah ps3 is right up with 360 now, catching up quick, more affordable FREE (and becoming much better) online service. achievements system now, in game XMB, and ps home by end of year. as for games, little big planet, resistance two, mgs 4 , much more innovative download titles, psp compatibility. the only thing i see ps3 lacking in terms of games right now is RPG ,but theya re coming towards end of year, fallout 3, valkyrie, FF13

ColdRem'S
15th July 2008, 08:08 PM
Sony's show is over and... not A single word about WipEout...:blarg
What the hell are they doing?
I'm so disppointed... Does that mean WoHD wil be the last one?This franchise is so underestimated...

eLhabib
15th July 2008, 08:13 PM
Just as expected, really. It's an SCEE title, they're not gonna have it on big display in the US if they don't know when it's done. Just wait for Games Convention Leipzig, it's gonna be there, I bet. Wouldn't surprise me if HD's release in Europe is planned to coincide with the GC, actually...
Still, I would have loved to see just a tiny glimpse of it at Sony's E3 presser. As it stands now, they don't seem to have any confidence in the title over there... :(

Rapier Racer
15th July 2008, 08:25 PM
Pffft Sony are killing the franchise themselves, it's pissing me off, I almost wish it was in the hands of Microsoft and on the 360 at least people would know it exists then and we'd probably be playing it already.

Darkdrium777
15th July 2008, 08:41 PM
But then you'd have to pay monthly to play the only game you bought the 360 for online... >.<

It's too bad it wasn't shown at E3 I agree but we can still hope to play this in 2008...

Rapier Racer
15th July 2008, 08:59 PM
£40 a year big deal thats like £3.30 a month, however when (if) the PSN finally reaches Lives standard then you will have a point.

Also I already own a 360.

Sumimasen
15th July 2008, 09:12 PM
Looks like no mention of WOHD at the Sony E3 conference.

Well, I have to say that the announcements I have seen from E3 so far have all been very meh.

Sony is selling PS3's more as Blu-ray players than consoles, Nintendo are just piling on the gimmicks, and once again Microsoft take up the mantle left by Sega to supply the good old hardcore gamers stuff.

I so wish that SL were devs for 360 rather than PS3. It's just so hard to like Sony at the moment.

And for the record, as an owner of all three systems, I have to say that the PS3 and Wii online functionality has got a HELLUVA long way to go to match Xbox live. I don't particularly like paying for XBL, but you certainly get quality for that cash.

Frankly if WOHD doesn't appear soon, my PS3 may well follow the PSP down to the local 'Game' for a trade-in...

EDIT: Took me so long to write that post that everyone had already said what I typed anyway! D'oh!

eLhabib
15th July 2008, 09:35 PM
But then you'd have to pay monthly to play the only game you bought the 360 for online... >.<
whaddaya mean the only game for 360 online? there is TONS of GREAT online games on the 360. Hell, I really consider myself a Sony fanboy and Microsoft hater, but the 360 is just unbeatable at the moment.
Funny how Sony claims to have the biggest shooter this year with Resistance 2. They're acting like they never even heard of a tiny little MONSTERHIT called Gears of War 2.

Wip3ou7
15th July 2008, 09:43 PM
I think MAG is gonna be killer, I'm a Planetside veteran so I'll definately be playing that.

Axel
15th July 2008, 10:03 PM
Well only time will tell, but i think Sony has dropped the ball this generation. If the Japs weren't so against the 360, the Microsoft and Nintendo would be way ahead. The PS3 is suffering.

I still think there will be a proper Wipeout for the PS3, but damn i wish Pysgnosis were still about. Then I would have had my G-police 3 on the PS2 maybe? And Wipeout would have been released by now. But then again, Sony has been funding them guys so who knows, I maybe wrong :P

To sum things up, E3 is total balls this year. Only thing good is the Wii 1:1 motion control. That should be interesting :P

cybrpnk
15th July 2008, 10:09 PM
very disheartening sony...

I reckon a showing of HD at e3 would have blown everything there out of the water...except for maybe FF13 which is looking beautiful...(anyone catch shiva and ifrit in the trailer...or was I imagining things again????)

so yeah...if HD had a showing, this would probably have defined the PSN as the prime choice for online seeing how good a quality game HD is for a downloadable game...

cmon sony, what is going on with WipEout???

RJ O'Connell
15th July 2008, 10:38 PM
Optimistically, they're just being incredibly tight-lipped about the series' future. And remember - there's been absolutely no mention of an F-Zero game for the Wii aside from one comment before the system launch that went something like "F-Zero would work better with a traditional controller." At least we know there will be a WipEout title this year for the PS3.

SL can't kill the series, as some have implied, that would leave them with an empty catalogue of projects since Sony lost the rights to Formula 1 games. SCE Europe wouldn't really try it, since the series means a lot to their success as well. Plus, Euro Wipers have gotten so much more than those in North America, from extra downloadable content to a whole extra game (W3SE).

But it seems like lately, SL has been less and less willing to push the series' development. Pulse feels like a subtly tweaked Pure with new tracks and online play. XL was like that in comparison to WipEout original, but we in general regard XL as the series' pinnacle. On the other hand, Pulse has been voted 2nd Worst in the series next to Wipeout Fusion by the community. And HD is nothing more than a glorified re-master of Pulse with a few Pure tracks thrown in for familiarity. It's gotten like that because I think a few of us have scared the developers away from really being too risky, on the basis that "they did this in Fusion". So now SL is playing it safe. And that's going to ruin the series if they keep doing that.

eLhabib
15th July 2008, 11:13 PM
Honestly, I think fan opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the way wipEout HD is being created. HD was originally planned as an in-between project to tide over the wait until the 'real' PS3 wipEout game. So, in order to be able to deliver quickly, it only makes sense they used assets from Pure and Pulse and beefed them up. However, since that 'real' wipEout PS3 game has obviously been put on ice, they instead were tasked with getting as much quality out of the project they already started, which is wipEout HD.
And why do you feel that 2097 was just an overhaul of the original wipEout?! It's a completely different game, not only from a graphical point of view, but also gameplay-wise, there were a ton of changes made. At least more changes than an EA franchise gets within 5 iterations ;)

JABBERJAW
16th July 2008, 01:40 AM
"It's gotten like that because I think a few of us have scared the developers away from really being too risky, on the basis that "they did this in Fusion". So now SL is playing it safe. And that's going to ruin the series if they keep doing that."

What would give you this idea? Just curious

RJ O'Connell
16th July 2008, 03:40 AM
And why do you feel that 2097 was just an overhaul of the original wipEout?! It's a completely different game, not only from a graphical point of view, but also gameplay-wise, there were a ton of changes made. At least more changes than an EA franchise gets within 5 iterations (wink)
Hey, WipEout original was a fantastic game. XL is also a fantastic game. It's more enjoyable to play because it's faster, more intense and possibly a little more accessible (but not much! ;)) And yet, it still feels like the original in many ways, the handling is very similar, as are the general design aesthetics (christ, it uses the same in-game font), the ships perform, at least in theory, exactly alike. It's like the vision of what the original could have been, finally being fully realized in a second go-round.

I said "subtly tweaked" because, let's face it, Wipeout XL feels much closer to the original than any other game in the series. (Aside from Wipeout 64 of course XD)

But back to WipEout HD, shall we? XDD

Darkdrium777
16th July 2008, 04:23 AM
whaddaya mean the only game for 360 online? there is TONS of GREAT online games on the 360. I mean for some people who will buy a PS3 just for this game, instead if it came out on X Box 360 they would get the X Box 360 just for WipEout HD too. It's just an analogy. ;)

eLhabib
16th July 2008, 09:05 AM
Well, the thing is, I for one am really waiting on getting a PS3 JUST for wipEout HD, because there's hardly anything else convincing on the platform. The 360, on the other hand, has heaps of sweet online games, so it's not really a hard decision to buy one. Again, this comes from a Sony fanboy.

Sumimasen
16th July 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not a Sony fanboy (my allegiance used to lie with Sega...), and I have to say that I 100% totally agree with that eL. The 360 is an awesome games machine, and that looks like it's only going to get better. I also haven't heard of any cases of the RROD recently, either. I hope never to have a third occurence...

I bought a PS3 for Wipeout and the bluray drive. Oh, and for GT5, but prologue has disappointed the hell out of me. The Bluray is ace, and wipeout will be too, so that's reason enough to keep it. I guess.

Axel
16th July 2008, 12:33 PM
Well the only thing we can do now guys is just wait and be patient for the guys to sort something out.

As Colin said in another thread, something is being added that would be useful during the game. It sucks to wait, but hey Sony is a business. If they need to space out the games so everything doesn't bunch up togeather then so be it.

SL have basically finished the game and hopefully are moving onto the Real wipeout and a fringe team are "finishing" the downloadable content. Heres to hoping a quick and speedy released by the Sony Marketing team!!!

Rubix42
16th July 2008, 05:29 PM
The lack of any news on this from E3 is worrying.

They must have meant coming in time for Holidays 2008. . .

chrominance
16th July 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi kids, I'm one of the lurkers who's been reloading this thread for months now waiting for HD to come out.

I think it's particularly sad that Wipeout HD, a game we've been anticipating for for over a year now, should barely register on the radar "so close to release" (something I now very much doubt!) while other, much newer games like Pixeljunk Eden (admittedly very cool looking) get tons of press in comparison. It's as though the game doesn't exist as far as Sony is concerned, which is very depressing&mdash;I don't need yet another one of my favourite franchises to die a slow death from malnourishment and neglect, thanks.

The no-show at E3 just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There was a whole PSN showcase, for cryin' out loud. Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty was touted specifically as one of the service's marquee titles, and we didn't even know it existed until earlier this year. Previously announced and brand new games alike got a splash during the PSN video, so HD's release date or previous unveiling shouldn't have been a big factor. The only conclusion I can draw is no one at Sony, or at least SCEA, gives a care about Wipeout at all. Considering we saw exactly this lack of interest when Wipeout Fusion came around (SCEA couldn't even bother to release it themselves!), I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but after hearing so many good things about Wipeout Pure's success I suppose I was hoping things had changed.

Why has there been a near-complete blackout on press for this game? It seems like we've seen and heard next to nothing ever since the 1UP video review. Does Studio Liverpool/SCEE honestly have no people able to even talk up the game except for two of the poor, overworked developers posting sporadically on one of the unofficial forums? It's great that they're willing to take time from their schedules to throw us a bone once in a while, because it seems as though the marketing departments of every company involved are asleep at the wheel.

Paradoxx
16th July 2008, 07:14 PM
Wipeout HD really exists ? The information ends in 2008.

Frances_Penfold
16th July 2008, 11:10 PM
There was a whole PSN showcase, for cryin' out loud. Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty was touted specifically as one of the service's marquee titles, and we didn't even know it existed until earlier this year.

Hi chrominance-- nice to see you "step out from the shadows"-- hope to see you around more.

I agree with your point. While all three console makers emphasize their flagship titles to garner attention from the mainstream press, the fact that very specific attention was given to the PSN-- and that Wipeout HD was NOT EVEN MENTIONED-- is very odd. One sentence, one short video clip is all it would take to acknowledge the existence of the game. Given the franchise's long association with Sony consoles-- and occasionally good sales, as for example for Wipeout Pure-- why not throw it in there, even briefly? Very strange.

Is there any chance that the game is seeing a major re-directioning so that it is a "true" HD Wipeout game as opposed to a PSN title that includes re-done tracks from Pure and Pulse? It's the only thing that makes sense, unless as you say, that SCEA really dislikes the franchise and doesn't care to even acknowledge it.

On that note, I'd like to throw out a "screw you" to SCEA for failing to release DLC for Wipeout Pulse, despite the fact that it's a finished product that is clearly identified as a bullet point on the back-cover of the game. I don't generally get worked up by the actions (or non-actions) of publishers / developers but the failure to release Pulse DLC is really pathetic.

Edit-- wanted to mention that we are not the only ones puzzled about the fate of Wipeout HD-- check out this thread from neogaf, which includes a rather amusing set of JPG images.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 01:54 AM
I enjoyed the Angryman plugged into the wall, Frances.

The only conclusion I can draw is no one at Sony, or at least SCEA, gives a care about Wipeout at all.
It has always seemed that way since Sony bought Psygnosis. It started with W3SE being Europe exclusive. Then the aforementioned Fusion release issues. Then the Pulse DLC issue which I actually think is worthy of being reported as consumer fraud if it never shows up.

Of course, I've been reading up on F-Zero Wii, one french article implied it would have "weapons systems" which got everyone fired up, and rightfully so. It's not a good time to be a fan of futuristic racing, in general, but I remain optimistic about the future of WipEout.

Welcome to the 'Zone, chrominance.

chrominance
17th July 2008, 05:54 AM
Is there any chance that the game is seeing a major re-directioning so that it is a "true" HD Wipeout game as opposed to a PSN title that includes re-done tracks from Pure and Pulse? It's the only thing that makes sense, unless as you say, that SCEA really dislikes the franchise and doesn't care to even acknowledge it.

I thought about that, actually. When the PS3 segment came on and Tretton was all "exclusives exclusive exclusives! here are some of the awesome games coming to PS3!" I thought maybe they'd saved HD for the PS3 showcase proper. Of course, even as I was thinking that, I knew somehow that it was a very thin chance, and of course I was disappointed.

If Wipeout HD was being turned into a Blu-Ray disc game, isn't that worth announcing too? And if that was actually happening, you'd think Sony would want to pimp the expanded content and whatnot.

As I don't have a PSP, I didn't know about Pulse not getting DLC packs--wasn't that one of the things Pure got lauded for in the gaming press? Ooof.

Sch@dows
17th July 2008, 08:43 AM
[...] the fact that very specific attention was given to the PSN-- and that Wipeout HD was NOT EVEN MENTIONED-- is very odd.[...]

[...] Is there any chance that the game is seeing a major re-directioning so that it is a "true" HD Wipeout game as opposed to a PSN title that includes re-done tracks from Pure and Pulse? [...]
Hi,

I agree to say that it IS very odd -_-.
At first i though WOHD was delayed to match the 2.40 firmware (trophies, custom mp3, etc). But still nothing since it is available.

Another thing i can think of, is what you said : a major re-directioning. WOHD was expected by a lot of people, especially those without a PSP (who couldn't play Pure/Pulse). Maybe the project has became bigger (new tracks, etc.) but I don't see why it should be delayed. it IS obvious that more tracks will come, and it won't be free of course (forget Pure u_u). So new tracks could be added later, no ?
And even if they planned to release en BRD version, it could still be a temporary PSN exclusive, or there should be some news ?

So the only thing that make sense for me, is that a important problem as been discovered with a major feature not seen until now (the game seemed almost complete) ... The multiplayer mode ? The so proud FullHD at 60fps ?

Don't know but the lack of news is killing me u_u

PS : I'm greatly satisfied with my PS3 which has impressive exclusive games other than WOHD (mine are FormulaOne, MotorStorm, Uncharted, MGS4). I'm playing FPS games only on PC, so 360 exclusive titles are less attractive to me (maybe for DOA4, Forza2) but I admit is IS a good machine.

Axel
17th July 2008, 12:01 PM
All good points brought up. If they game has been ported to a BD, then maybe they are adding the extra "downloadable" contents to added roster of available tracks.

It's interesting that you say that the pulse DLC has been released, maybe they were converted for WOHD instead? Saves time, and all they will need to do is just update the graphics while keeping the design the same.

I mean 8 tracks for a BD game is very tiny indeed, hence the reason why it was going to be a downloadable game in the first place. But as usual, only time will tell.

Frances_Penfold
17th July 2008, 01:01 PM
...wanted to mention that we are not the only ones puzzled about the fate of Wipeout HD-- check out this thread from neogaf, which includes a rather amusing set of JPG images...

And, uh, here is the actual link :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327373

Gives me some encouragement that the broader gamer community is still interested in this title.

Nadia Elenova
17th July 2008, 01:09 PM
European PSN store updated with... Fatal Inertia! Did they anounced it anywhere? So if they don't give a :turd about this game and they don't give a :turd about Wipeout, maybe we will open the store one fine day and find WoHD there without any decent anouncement. Am I overestimating Wipeout or are they underestimating it?
No wipeout on E3, but RE5 showed up with its LAME animations and the very same gameplay from RE4 (which I love). Only a graphic improvement is worth showing up on E3? WoHD is more than that!

Darkdrium777
17th July 2008, 01:16 PM
I am praying for a release in the coming weeks but I have doubts this will happen. This is just too much of a delay, so I'm sorry but I'll forget about Wipeout for a while since the really bad treatment it gets from SCEE and SCEA is very infuriating.

If someone can make an official announcement at Sony with a firm release date, I will come back. But not until then, the situation right now is absolutely ludicrous.

Nadia Elenova
17th July 2008, 01:25 PM
My hopes are on Games Convention Leipzig, 20-24 august.

Axel
17th July 2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.imageaddicts.net/images/paomms5oemrp98v0gyy1.gif

This made me laugh hard :P

piper999
17th July 2008, 04:07 PM
Game development at Sony is a slow motion trainwreck.

No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Its like they think they'll get fired or something. No-ones knows anything and no-one dares say anything anyway.

Axel
17th July 2008, 05:04 PM
How do you know this?

Rapier Racer
17th July 2008, 05:14 PM
It's quite obvious! lol Just like BT..

It is infuriating, they had MGS4 clips at E3, why? It's out and old news, someone in charge at Sony is clearly a twat. Company knows nothing of PR...

piper999
17th July 2008, 05:24 PM
How do you know this?

Well, there have been a few hints even on this board for a start.

The fact that HD is apparently being developed with no regard whatsoever to the release schedules of other titles by Sony's 'partner' (ha!) 3rd party developers for a start. Or even apparently without regard to ANY release schedule.

Also, when developers come out with "we were nearly finished then there was a problem and we are still working on it and we don't know when we'll be finished" type stuff it doesn't inspire confidence.

Note: I'm a software developer and would love to work on projects with no deadlines and no commercial considerations. But there aren't any outside of Wipeout HD.

Axel
17th July 2008, 05:25 PM
Ah right, I truly understand lol.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 05:28 PM
As I don't have a PSP, I didn't know about Pulse not getting DLC packs--wasn't that one of the things Pure got lauded for in the gaming press? Ooof.
In Wipeout Pure, the download packs added several new and very entertaining tracks to an already great game, especially Anulpha Pass and Ubermall which will be in WOHD from launch.

You can still download DLC for Pulse, but only if:

1) You have a Euro/Australian PSN account
2) You have a Euro/Australian credit card to purchase them.

DRM "protection" has essentially erased any chance of anyone sharing the packs with other gamers, too. So essentially, NA players have been royally (rhymes with tucked) over.

chrominance
17th July 2008, 05:40 PM
From the neogaf thread, someone actually went and asked SCEE what was up at E3 (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/07/17/wipeout-hd-on-track/). Summary: no set release date, we swear it's still coming out, no word on why they didn't bother to show it off.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 05:48 PM
The link actually points to SixthAxis, but a great find. I think I can rest easier knowing that SCE has at least said something.

piper999
17th July 2008, 05:56 PM
From the neogaf thread, someone actually went and asked SCEE what was up at E3 (http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/07/17/wipeout-hd-on-track/). Summary: no set release date, we swear it's still coming out, no word on why they didn't bother to show it off.

Yep. No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Business as usual.

dobyblue
17th July 2008, 07:19 PM
With regard to the HDTV discussion, I had a 27" Samsung 720p HD LCD, and recently upgraded to a 37" 1080p Samsung. The difference is VERY noticable, but more so on certain games. Burnout Paradise, Halo 3 and Naruto look STUNNING in 1080p. GT5P actually looks worse, as the graphical glitches are all the more obvious. Films on BD and HD-DVD also look WAY better.

Imagine how good they'd look if they were native 1080p on the disc.
Halo 3 isn't even HD, it's around 640 lines of resolution.

dobyblue
17th July 2008, 07:30 PM
I guess the point is that these guys who manage the areas of the companies that decide this sort of thing are privvy to all sorts of data that us, as peons, are not. So decisions that seem nonsensical to us will make some kid of sense to them. That's not to say that all business sense is good.

That's exactly right.

Sony are close to setting up SCE as a separate entity then selling off 40% of the company. The company would be worth around $14 billion, so Sony would receive around $6 billion cash to input into the first party development business, which they absolutely rule. Their first party development team is bigger than MS and Nintendo's together. That's why Take Two are holding out - they know $2.8b is an easy decision for Sony. Watch for it. The format war took a lot out of Sony, this is the smartest way to move forward now.

3rd party exclusives are going the way of the dodo. Bioshock will be much better on the PS3, with exclusive downloadable content as well.

MS just have too much money lying around doing nothing, like unbelievable amounts of money. They paid $280,000,000 to Square-Enix to ensure that FFXIII would be held back on the PS3 in North America until the X360 version is completed.

The good news for Japan is that they're not even going to look at the X360 version for NA until the Japanese PS3 version is completed, which means it's developed for the PS3 from start to finish. The $280m payout will basically push back FFXIII for North America anywhere from 6 months to a year and it's not even slated for release yet!

dobyblue
17th July 2008, 07:33 PM
If the Japs weren't so against the 360, the Microsoft and Nintendo would be way ahead. The PS3 is suffering.

PS3 sells more than the X360 all across Europe too, so what's your reasoning there?

PS3 brings in around 700,000 month, X360 brings in around 500,000 month. That gap is only going to get bigger later this year when the PS3 hits $299.

Axel
17th July 2008, 08:17 PM
Come on dude least me real, Microsoft has only been competing in Europe and America, and yet they still boast good numbers.

In Europe the tide maybe changing, but if the 360 bring the price drop over here again, then things may get interesting.

piper999
17th July 2008, 08:25 PM
PS3 sells more than the X360 all across Europe too, so what's your reasoning there?

PS3 brings in around 700,000 month, X360 brings in around 500,000 month. That gap is only going to get bigger later this year when the PS3 hits $299.

At that rate the PS3 will have caught up the difference in sales between the 360 and PS3 in a around two years.

Unfortunately, Sony said they won't be cutting the price of the PS3 because now they want to concentrate on trying to make a profit not on selling as many consoles as possible (they lose money every time they sell a PS3).

MS has announced a price cut on the 360 though.

So it looks like PS3 will be trailing in 3rd place for a long time to come.

Maybe the spike in sales caused by the release of Wipeout HD will increase the sales of...of...hahahaha. Sorry couldn't keep a straight face. Still looking forward to it though.

Fiznu
17th July 2008, 08:37 PM
Come on dude least me real, Microsoft has only been competing in Europe and America, and yet they still boast good numbers.

In Europe the tide maybe changing, but if the 360 bring the price drop over here again, then things may get interesting.

Enough with the fanboy talk in here. The 360 vs. PS3 argument is being held in plenty of other forums, we don't need any more flame bait in here, please!

I own both consoles, I enjoy both, and apparently there is enough of a market to sustain both. That being said, the 360 has one OBVIOUS drawback...a TOTAL and complete lack of support for Wipeout! :)

Seriously, lets keep discussion of which console is better to other forums, for those who couldn't read the title, THIS forum is to discuss the release date of Wipeout HD on the PS3. Clear?

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with you Fiznu, though I don't think it's descended into a console fanboy flame-off. If it were, Rob or Lance would be there in a heartbeat to lock the thread and give all guilty parties a one-week time out.

offtopic thought: I'm still wondering, what if Curly Monsters went along with Quantum Redshift II as planned?

Colin Berry
17th July 2008, 08:59 PM
Game development at Sony is a slow motion trainwreck.

No-one at Sony talks to anyone else at Sony. Its like they think they'll get fired or something. No-ones knows anything and no-one dares say anything anyway.

Sorry but that is nonsense, certainly in regards Sony Liverpool

Well, there have been a few hints even on this board for a start.

The fact that HD is apparently being developed with no regard whatsoever to the release schedules of other titles by Sony's 'partner' (ha!) 3rd party developers for a start. Or even apparently without regard to ANY release schedule.

Also, when developers come out with "we were nearly finished then there was a problem and we are still working on it and we don't know when we'll be finished" type stuff it doesn't inspire confidence.

Note: I'm a software developer and would love to work on projects with no deadlines and no commercial considerations. But there aren't any outside of Wipeout HD.

If you are a software developer then you will know that issues can come up in development that affect the schedule, even late in the day.

You will also know NDAs prevent the release of information to the public for obvious reasons so of course people are not going to give information out it would grossly unprofessional - it is hardly a case of not daring to say anything.

You can speculate all you like about development life within sony but the truth is you have no clue what is going on with the development of Wipeout HD

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you Colin. All I'm going to say is that whatever it is you or whoever in charge at SL have to work on, take your time.

Fixing buggy game > Releasing buggy game, 10 times out of 10.

I see a ban hammer in the horizon...

piper999
17th July 2008, 09:07 PM

If you are a software developer then you will know that issues can come up in development that affect the schedule, even late in the day.

You will also know NDAs prevent the release of information to the public for obvious reasons so of course people are not going to give information out it would grossly unprofessional - it is hardly a case of not daring to say anything.

You can speculate all you like about development life within sony but the truth is you have no clue what is going on with the development of Wipeout HD

I know the development is badly delayed and if I was working on it I wouldn't be fighting with my employer's customers on bulletin boards about it.

To each his own.

mangaroo
17th July 2008, 09:14 PM
I know the development is badly delayed and if I was working on it I wouldn't be fighting with my employer's customers on bulletin boards about it.

To each his own.

Actually, i really appreciate the quick input from Colin Berry, as im sure a lot of other people do. He was quick to talk to us, the fans, even when it was a negative announcement. Comments like yours don't help but discourages developers from talking to us.

Colin Berry
17th July 2008, 09:15 PM

To each his own.

Firstly I'm not on the project full time anymore as the design work is complete

Secondly the development is not badly delayed, an issue arose that is being fixed

Thirdly I've been posting on here for ages, even when we were mastering Pure and Pulse, if you knew anything about software development you would know it is impractical to work every hour as work invariably suffers, and also even if I was at work now I would still get time to post given that as a designer I can not solve every issue.

Fourthly I'm not fighting with you at all merely pointing out how wrong you are, and if you want to imply that somehow means I am neglecting my job then it just further shows how little you know, and thankfully you are not working on it

mangaroo
17th July 2008, 09:19 PM
:D P4WN3D!

(sorry I couldn't resist).

From the eurogamer's post it seemed the technical issue would cause a severe delay (something about no region being able to fix it), not being "badly delayed" does shine a glimmer of hope!

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 09:25 PM
Here's hoping for a holiday release, because then I can have an excuse to buy a system with no backwards compatibility but enough power to move a moon. ;)

And I will speculate no earlier.

Axel
17th July 2008, 09:55 PM
Well said Colin. Looks guys we are all upset, but seriously. Its just a game lol. I'm glad they realised the mistake now before they released the game.

cybrpnk
17th July 2008, 09:58 PM
at least this is some news...better then having HD stuck in limbo...

well...I can wait...with Calibur 4 around the corner, that is gonna kill (no pun intended) some time hanging out with Vader and the Calibur gang...

I think it's a good move SL is taking its time fixing any problems...that way, we will get one quality AAA title...I think most of the frustration from these forums have developed from the belief that the game is so nearly close to finish, yet there wasn't any news on where it was headed...

I think we would rather this happen than have the game released...and then people encounter bugs...and then these forums will turn into a war zone...eg Colin wtf...why is my ship flying backwards??? wtf why does the framerate drop to 10fps online??? wtf I can't make breakfast with my PS3...so yeah...

but now we know...and now we play the game of patience, mother of all virtues...

Fiznu
17th July 2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks for your candor and for the scraps of information that you CAN relate. It IS appreciated, greatly!

I am actually kinda glad that the delay is related to development and not a marketing thing as some have speculated here. Knowing that it is being worked on is enough for me...I can imagine the game getting better and better as each day goes by! I am hoping that whatever problems are there can be fixed quickly though, I have been anticipating this game for over a year now and I really really want my fix!

Thanks again for all the hard work guys!

lunar
17th July 2008, 10:17 PM
I second those sentiments from Fiznu. And on the bonus side I will now have time to Rule the World in Everybody`s Golf and Ferrari Challenge (in my dreams anyway). :banzai

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 10:48 PM
I think we would rather this happen than have the game released...and then people encounter bugs...and then these forums will turn into a war zone...eg Colin wtf...why is my ship flying backwards??? wtf why does the framerate drop to 10fps online??? wtf I can't make breakfast with my PS3...
Speaking of which... (http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/ps3-grill.jpg)

[/offtopic]

cybrpnk
17th July 2008, 11:47 PM
^^^

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha...touche

at the end of the day...we will be getting an absolutely wicked game...let's hope within this time...SL might decide to release it as a BD version with more tracks...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)...and have some kind of cool case and cover art to boot so I can get 2 copies and save one as a little investment to remind me of the greatest game ever made...

keep up the excellent work SL...hope you guys sort out that problem soon...I'm sure you can do it...nothing a little red bull won't fix...;)

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 11:58 PM
Red Bull is the energy drink of Wipeout old. We're all drinking Ignition and JAP Energy nowadays XD

cybrpnk
18th July 2008, 12:04 AM
offtopic again...

the original thai red bull is super crazy the ones in those little brown glass bottles that look like cough medicine...might be just me but they were strong...

i was trudging along thailand with cases of the stuff loaded in my backpack cause my ex's dad had a manufacturing factory in thailand right next to the red bull factory and knew people who were friends of friends of friends...aaaaahahaha...good times...

don't think that have JAP or Ignition in australia...hmmm

anyway...*runs* before lance pulls me up on offtopic charges...

RJ O'Connell
18th July 2008, 01:43 AM
It's not really off-topic, if you look at the Wipeout HD website they really are in-game brands! ^^ Well, they're not real and were purposely made for the game, obviously.

mclarensmps
18th July 2008, 04:54 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=191929

Just thought I'd point this out, my friend sent me this link earlier today.

Whenever there is silence, people have a tendency to flare up.

The game will come, eventually. Until that happens, there is enough stuff to do out there to keep you busy.

Relax... things will happen.

edit: Realised this post is completely redundant :\. Slow me :P

taqili
18th July 2008, 06:59 AM
1UP: I was with 1UP Editorial Director Sam Kennedy at the Sony press conference, and he had one question after it ended: Where's Wipeout HD?

SR: I'm not sure I know how to answer that right now. There are still some decisions being made on that particular product for the U.S.

from 1up (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168895). =\

p.s. yes I know eurogamer posted more information, but I just am posting this to show the Sony Americas response.

Norfolk'n'Clue
18th July 2008, 11:02 AM
It's quite obvious! lol Just like BT..

It is infuriating, they had MGS4 clips at E3, why? It's out and old news, someone in charge at Sony is clearly a twat. Company knows nothing of PR...

Wait, you work for BT? Me too. Big companies are shite. :banzai

I work on Major Programmes in leeds. You?

dobyblue
18th July 2008, 02:29 PM
Come on dude least be real, Microsoft has only been competing in Europe and America, and yet they still boast good numbers.

Japan on average accounts for 8.4% of the PS3's sales and 3.1% of the 360's sales. The fact that MS doesn't compete in Japan has very little bearing on the overall numbers.

The numbers I was quoting are not units, they're revenue.

I wouldn't put much weight into what Sony says to the press. They don't want you to wait to buy a PS3. If they said "oh we'll probably move all the 40GB units at $299 when the 80GB comes out, then move the 80GB to $299, drop it to $249 for the last few weeks of Christmas shopping, then put it back to $299 again in the new year as the regular price" what would you do as a prospective console purchaser? I'd be waiting.

I expect both the PS3 and the Elite X360 to be $299 in January.

Sch@dows
18th July 2008, 02:32 PM
I expect WOHD to be release in January ^_~

Rubix42
18th July 2008, 08:08 PM
Or later.

Elefunk is cool though:naughty

Wip3ou7
19th July 2008, 04:02 AM
I read a few different articles about the "technical issue" w/ wipeout hd... I wonder what it could be?

cybrpnk
19th July 2008, 12:00 PM
maybe it's the 'trying to squeeze it under 1gb trick'...to make it downloadable...

if not maybe there will be a bd release and that will take extra time to organise...

Darkdrium777
19th July 2008, 11:01 PM
Ahh man... :/

The game is already under 1GB. End of discussion.

Besides, GT5Prologue is downloadable, and it's around a few GB (Can't remember exactly), so that is not the issue.

stin
20th July 2008, 10:59 AM
You know, I`m totally addicted to Wipeouts maybe obsessed with it but I can wait for WOHD,why?, because, it`s plenty of time and I`m no hurry for that, so please be patience, time will come to us eventually.

Let them do the work first and foremost, they will be ready and it will be fantastic for us.

I have not got a ps3 yet and I will get it before it will release.

So, calm down guys ;)

stevie:)

G'Kyl
20th July 2008, 07:18 PM
I said "subtly tweaked" because, let's face it, Wipeout XL feels much closer to the original than any other game in the series.

Actually, to me WO3 feels much closer to 1 than 2. Unforgiving wall collisions and floatiness considered. Don't you thinks so?

Ben

KIGO1987
21st July 2008, 11:02 PM
There is two things certain when HD comes out:

This thread will have over 50000 hits
This Forum will have its 2000th member

Asayyeah
22nd July 2008, 03:03 PM
next thing certain :
I will buy a ps3
( ok, :g i am the only concerned by what i am saying because even recently i wasn't sure to buy me one when HD will be released but there's now an evidence for me to own one since they will provide us wifi connexion in our bedroom ( where i am studying) for october and also due to my new 20' Bravia sony (1366x766 ).

Please SL, wait till october :g ( nah forget that, think to the others who already own a ps3)

mclarensmps
22nd July 2008, 11:42 PM
Nice to hear Arnaud :D. Can't wait to play HD vs you :)

eLhabib
23rd July 2008, 01:29 AM
second that! it's gonna be a party!

Frances_Penfold
23rd July 2008, 03:39 AM
Yes, indeed :)

I am still PS3-less but will be picking one up before Wipeout HD hits-- and in any case, probably by September or so.

The first weeks after a new Wipeout are so much fun-- and with good online support, it will be all the merrier!

Darkdrium777
23rd July 2008, 04:26 AM
Yay for an online party :)

Axel
23rd July 2008, 07:58 AM
These forums are going to spring to life again once this game gets released. The lap times leader boards are going to be changing rapidly on a daily basis lol.

I can't wait!!

Sch@dows
23rd July 2008, 08:24 AM
The official site will probably display the rankings like for Pulse.

Asayyeah
23rd July 2008, 02:25 PM
Or maybe displaying the top 5 scores on the track you are beginning to play in order to motivate you :nod
Oups it's a lil' bit off-topic :paperbag

Norfolk'n'Clue
23rd July 2008, 02:34 PM
Reason for the delay is:

WO:HD failed epilepsy tests, according to CVG.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193765

Quite who their source is, I've no idea (and they don't say), so it's prolly best to take it with a pinch of salt until confirmed.

Asayyeah
23rd July 2008, 03:08 PM
Already been discussed in the other thread mentionning the delay, check it ;)

Norfolk'n'Clue
23rd July 2008, 03:55 PM
Already been discussed in the other thread mentionning the delay, check it ;)

So it is! This is the only thread I really bothered checking :P

RJ O'Connell
23rd July 2008, 10:24 PM
The official site will probably display the rankings like for Pulse.
If they can find someone to maintain the site that's as passionate and knows what he or she is doing like Infoxicated, since he has moved on from Studio Liv for three months now.

There is a version of Wipeout-Game from before he left the company that has still yet to hit the internet for some unknown reason.

Darkdrium777
24th July 2008, 03:26 AM
I think it's more like a "known reason so lame nobody wishes to state it".
I don't know the guys who work on the servers but they have got to be really slow if they don't even know that version of the site exits. We need a Mass Relay to communicate instantly with them, not some slow radio-wave method... (Who guessed I was playing Mass Effect while waiting? :rolleyes:)

RJ O'Connell
24th July 2008, 07:18 PM
For a better explanation of what's been going on with Wipeout-Game.com recently, click this very blue-looking hyperlink (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90508&postcount=95).

Now back to WipEout HD proper discussion XD

KIGO1987
29th July 2008, 03:17 AM
That version of Wipeout-Game looks alot more organised and just better than the previous one, with all the fine details and all.

Now Wipeout HD, with the delaying and all is there a chance that this game will ever be launched as a BluRay Disk by any chance? Myself, if both options are on the table like with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Downloaded Data vs. BluRay Disc) i would go with the disk rather than the download file. It'll be cool getting the disk and box and all, get to look at all the cool artwork and fan fiction in the booklet manual. If it where to every come out on BluRay disk it would deffinately achieve a greater number of sales.

Sch@dows
29th July 2008, 08:41 AM
If it will be available on both format at the same price (stupid but it was the cas with GT5), i will take the BRD vrsion too, because I can lend it to a friend or sell it as "used" when i'm over with it (I don't think it will append but we never know).
As long as Sony sell their Downloadable games at the same price as Rteail ones, I don't understand how they expect the PSN to work -_-

Axel
29th July 2008, 12:27 PM
At some cases mate, the PSN GT5P is more expensive than the Disk version. Really silly though. I know i will be calling in sick once the game gets released :P

cybrpnk
29th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah think I'm gonna be sick too...eheheh...

We should have a celebration and name it International Anti-Gravity Day or something...

eLhabib
30th July 2008, 06:50 AM
HAHA great idea! here's hoping it gets a worldwide simultaneous release!

Darkdrium777
30th July 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm just hoping it isn't treated like the Pulse DLC, or else the US will never get it. :/

RJ O'Connell
30th July 2008, 05:02 PM
Wonder what we could do for a launch party since the game will only be on e-shelves, methinks?

taqili
30th July 2008, 09:15 PM
you guys could come to the irc channel for once.. :)

irc.quakenet.org #wipeoutzone :D

Darkdrium777
30th July 2008, 09:20 PM
I did not even know that existed. o.o

KIGO1987
18th August 2008, 11:36 AM
Just wondering how will the online gameplay/function of Wipeout HD differ from Wipeout Pulse, would anybody happen to know a bit of intel about this by anychance?

Sch@dows
18th August 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't know but i hope they will change since it was pretty boring to wait so long (1 min?) between races. I hope they will include in-game chat (voice & text ... at least between races or while waiting other racers).

Axel
18th August 2008, 02:01 PM
I think that 1 min delay was there so the game can update our profiles to the server etc. But I'm sure that wont be needed in WOHD.

I'm sure we will have a more robust multiplayer platform. I seriously can not wait for HD.

guillaume
21st August 2008, 03:32 PM
I was hoping to find a confirmation of the possible release date announced here by eLhabib, and look what I find:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/08/21/wiipeout-hd-may-see-september-release
Looks like WipeoutZone is THE source for wipeout info :g

RJ O'Connell
21st August 2008, 03:38 PM
Damn, we're good. :g

Mad-Ice
21st August 2008, 03:48 PM
That is so funny! Good find Guillaume.:nod And thanks to eLhabib.:)

Axel
21st August 2008, 04:05 PM
Speaking of the devil, where is the guy? He was mean't to update us properly with a thorough play test today. Lucky guy. I so can't wait for his update :)

Darkdrium777
21st August 2008, 04:07 PM
He's probably playing xD

Norfolk'n'Clue
21st August 2008, 04:20 PM
^^ Too right! Why bother typing a load of stuff for us losers (because we're NOT playing it :) ) to read when he could be actually *playing* it!

RJ O'Connell
21st August 2008, 04:38 PM
He reported back to us that evening (or afternoon) so I think he'll be back around 10 CET to give us a further assessment.

Unless I'm wrong again.

Lance
21st August 2008, 05:57 PM
The 'Beeb rocks. :rock :D

eLhabib
21st August 2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry guys, didn't get playtime today, too busy really. Also just got back from the movies. Go watch the Dark Knight. It's awesome.

Darkdrium777
21st August 2008, 11:38 PM
True that.
How did you like the magic trick? :D

I'm one (Of many I guess) hoping you can squeeze some more delicious juice out of Tony ;)

eLhabib
21st August 2008, 11:44 PM
I'm definitely gonna try ;)
And I LOVED the magic trick.

Chill
22nd August 2008, 12:37 AM
Lol... "In the mean time, join me in listening to the awesome soundtrack on repeat."...

It's good that WipeoutZone is "the source"... hopefully, WipeoutZone will be considered to be the main source by everyone...

Looks like I might be able to indulge myself into a little hd after all before I deploy...

mangaroo
22nd August 2008, 01:52 AM
an unreliable source tells me october 20th..

"I was told by a fellow art student who is dating somebody there"

meh.

Darkdrium777
22nd August 2008, 02:32 AM
And we can trust this how? I don't want to be mean, welcome to the zone and all, but I think eLHabib is a bit more reliable if you see what I mean ;)

Either way I would hope for september first rather than october 20th. :)

cybrpnk
22nd August 2008, 02:59 AM
This is so exciting...can't wait to get our anti-gravity wings on and fly...

The new trailer rocks!!!

mangaroo
22nd August 2008, 07:02 AM
And we can trust this how? I don't want to be mean, welcome to the zone and all, but I think eLHabib is a bit more reliable if you see what I mean ;)

Either way I would hope for september first rather than october 20th. :)

totally agree! i really hope its this coming thursday! but just thought id post incase someone else might have similar information, it was an offtopic post, he just blurted it in the ps3 channel on irc (which isnt all that interested towards wipeout) which is sort of what got me interested

meanalf
22nd August 2008, 07:15 AM
it's got to be September, Sony has too much stuff coming out in October with motorstorm and LBP just to name 2 of their big hitters

kit-yun
22nd August 2008, 12:00 PM
I start to be really afraid for the date, I know that you think that it will leave in “September”. But since I saw the “autumn” on gamekyo, I think that it is between the end of September and the end of December. And Sony is so malicious, that it could leave it later that October and that, it is the big mistake!

you really think that it can leave towards the end of September or the beginning of October? (my wish). me I am afraid....more and more.

loxy
22nd August 2008, 01:29 PM
I think if any official announcement emanates from Sony during CG or in the worst case this month of august, it will probably come after September...:?
I don't see them announced the release just one or two week before the D day ....

kit-yun
22nd August 2008, 01:41 PM
thanks, and website wipeouthd.com must be updated also i suppose...

Colin Berry
22nd August 2008, 02:00 PM
an unreliable source tells me october 20th..

"I was told by a fellow art student who is dating somebody there"

meh.

Sorry, that date is bullshit.

There is no confirmed release date yet

Tony probably has a rough idea but wont be allowed to confirm until told he can

Plus October 20th is a Monday

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 02:05 PM
Precisely, Mondays aren't for playing new games, they're for hating getting up in the morning and putting in 40+ hours a week. ;)

Protip: Unless they have a "hard card" or they don't go to WipeoutZone, it'd be best to take what they know about Wipeout HD with a grain of salt.

infoxicated
22nd August 2008, 02:06 PM
And... AND... by virtue of The Boomtown Rats being one of Col's favourite bands, he doesn't like Mondays.

Or The Wonderstuff.

Not a lot of people know that.

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm going out on a tiny tiny limb and guessing...third Thursday of September.

Just a guess, though, and I'll likely be wrong. :g

Colin Berry
22nd August 2008, 02:10 PM
Damn Blast. . .
thats true
fkin wonderstuff euck

Boomtown Rats, I like but I wouldnt say favourite. but i dont like mondays except bank holidays. hrmI still have your Doves cd, and the rollins one, I need to dig out your address and stop being lazy

Oh and Rollins is doing the Edinburgh festival this week, thats near you... ish Although I suspect it will be 50% what we've seen earlier in the year. Oh and he's coming to Liverpool next saturday, which is ace.

This should probably have been a pm. Quick, mention something about Wipeout....
yes barrel rolls now take twice as much energy as before and the boost is not as severe

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 02:12 PM
Will it affect Time Trial runs? Because I'm concerned about there being a huge time difference if TT shields are infinite. I dunno, maybe, at least 10 seconds a race.

Axel
22nd August 2008, 02:15 PM
YAY!!!!! much love dude. Good to know that there will be a deterrant for BR users. I will be hunting them down on the race tracks.

Colin, can you at least hint on further tracks being added to the game since all the previous add ons are now in this game. Is it a case of pushing on to the next WO title? cheers dude.

infoxicated
22nd August 2008, 02:15 PM
I had mistakenly thought that The Bangles didn't like Monday's, but they were just being all dramatic about having manic Monday's - they never specified whether they were pissed off about them. So that post was much funnier before I remembered The Boomtown Rats, as they have quite a bit more cred.

Although I wouldn't boff Bob, but I'd boff Suzannah Hoffs. :D

// best sentence I'll write all week!

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 02:17 PM
+1

Further tracks would be boss, the problem is, aside from NDAs and all there's so many from Pure and Pulse to choose from!

(attachment is for Rob's best sentence)

Colin Berry
22nd August 2008, 02:24 PM
Time Trials, your energy replenishes so you are going to need to barrel roll to get the top times (there are pros and cons for either way (replensihing or not) but ultimately we decided this was the way we wanted to do it, and its my day off today :D)

Further dload content, I can only echo what Tony has said in Leipzig, we have rolled the content we initially intended for dload, into the release. Any further content will likely depend on how HD does. We have tonnes we could do, but its not a simple decision nor a decision for the dev team as such.

Suzannah Hoffs was ace
So yeah thats likely your best sentence this week, possibly month.

Wip3ou7
22nd August 2008, 02:52 PM
Oh thank you for the tidbits Colin! We love you, please keep those tasties rollin'. Noone appriciates it like we do ;)

Lance
22nd August 2008, 04:10 PM
Boffs like an Egyptian?
[tries to picture it... uh, on second thought, dOesn't try to picture it. Not even on a tomb wall. ;) ]

Sch@dows
22nd August 2008, 04:14 PM
Thank you collin. I figured the "extra content" was the planned DLC, but i though there were still others tracks (more Pure/Pulse remake) in SL's hand.
Well, we just have to wait n_n.

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 04:45 PM
Plus I imagine that levels of this detail would take a while to make. Possibly. It's not like modeling Karbonis for the original.

Medusa
22nd August 2008, 06:33 PM
Colin Berry quotes: "....yes barrel rolls now take twice as much energy as before and the boost is not as severe"

:clap Thank you so much Colin! You see, all I needed was a good reason to go out there and collect a pretty black WipEout box, and the idea of racing along, blowing weak-shielded barrel-rollers out of the race is a really good reason. (Assuming I can catch up to them of course.)

"Time Trials, your energy replenishes so you are going to need to barrel roll to get the top times (there are pros and cons for either way (replensihing or not)"

Oh well, TT was never my favourite part of the game (except maybe in original WipEout, because it was perfectly trancelike...), so yay! Good news!

infoxicated
22nd August 2008, 10:47 PM
Boffs like an Egyptian?
Awesome! :D :+

Darkdrium777
22nd August 2008, 11:00 PM
Someone's got to bring the mods back on topic :brickwall

:g

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 11:08 PM
Anything to get this thread to 50K views as promised, D7^3 ;)

Darkdrium777
22nd August 2008, 11:12 PM
Well that's one more view.
The only way I see this 50k view not happening is if SL throws the game out pretty soon.

Yes it's a race: SL, you have to get the game out before 50K view to win. Else we win! :g

Lance
22nd August 2008, 11:19 PM
Sounds more like a loss to me.

Nadia Elenova
23rd August 2008, 08:32 AM
You can tell!, It drives me mad whenever I see that message on the screenshots telling "Press any button to start". :evil

cybrpnk
24th August 2008, 09:11 PM
it's getting closer to september...what are our chances you reckon???

will HD finally make an appearance???

Wip3ou7
24th August 2008, 10:30 PM
i hope so, my birthday is the 7th and there's nothing i want more than wipeout hd

Nocturnal
25th August 2008, 02:07 AM
Hmmmmmm.... Everyone is excited, well they fixed their problems and they were presenting it in the Convention in Germany.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39054.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39056.html

And I saw a release projection Fall, I guess on Sony's PlayStation site.
Well I hope it's early Fall, that might be before the end of September.

:D I love the adrenaline for speed.

RJ O'Connell
25th August 2008, 02:12 AM
Even at half-framerate those videos were quite awesome. Welcome to the 'Zone Nocturnal. :g

Sugar_from_OTW
25th August 2008, 06:35 AM
Blue Movie (http://au.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/838996/wipeout-ps3-untitled/videos/wipeouthd_gc2008_blue.html?download=true)
Orange movie (http://au.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/838996/wipeout-ps3-untitled/videos/wipeouthd_gc2008_orange.html?download=true)

The movies above can be downloaded. I'm not sure if they are the same as the GT one's posted above. I'm having trouble watching flash movies in my browser.

The lighting is really stunning. The craft also looks a little floaty. I usually play in first person though, so I could be imagining it. The rear of the craft seems to be moving all over the place.

RJ O'Connell
25th August 2008, 05:11 PM
The Blue clip is an older one, and the Orange pilot looks really out of his league. ;) Still awesome to see the HD Icaras!

BARTgai
26th August 2008, 01:38 AM
Something interesting, in the second GT gameplay vid, when the player gets close behind the qirex, it looks an engine flare is clearly visible. At about 40 seconds.

At the first GT video, close to the end when he uses the sheild, the sound seems different, and kinda cheesy. I dont really like it.

Sugar_from_OTW
26th August 2008, 04:47 AM
and the Orange pilot looks really out of his league. ;)

++

he needs more practice. I'm guessing thats vector speed too.

Chill
26th August 2008, 06:04 AM
Wow... looks brilliant!!!! Holy **** will I be hella happy to play this online over and over again, screw every other game for a hella long time!!! lol, this is the only game I've been waiting for since I've heard about it, Wipeout has always been my first priority anyway... I'm going to make it worth it...

cybrpnk
26th August 2008, 10:41 AM
Just watched the videos...i think my senses just orgasmed...multiple times...

Holy smooth as butter batman...SL gets a huge pat on the back from me...if you guys are ever in sydney...look me up and I will buy you all rounds of beer...this is seriously my vote for GOTY...

Now this is a true example of artistic and programming talent, a game built on a lot of love and not money hungry publishers and developers looking to push out the next best thing to rack up profits...good on you SL...good on you...

EDIT: 700th post...can I hear a hell yeah!!!???

Norfolk'n'Clue
26th August 2008, 11:34 AM
Will certainly keep me occupied until Left4dead comes out...maybe even beyond then if it's no good! Valve have put it back again as well. Boo.

KIGO1987
26th August 2008, 11:43 AM
Whats the price of Wipeout HD in AUD? Anybody....

Sch@dows
26th August 2008, 11:44 AM
Now this is a true example of artistic and programming talent, a game built on a lot of love and not money hungry publishers and developers looking to push out the next best thing to rack up profits...good on you SL...good on you...Well, I'll be waiting to know the game's price before saying that.

cybrpnk
26th August 2008, 11:49 AM
I was referring to the whole rush it out the door thing rather than price...more of a case of SL having an 'its ready when its ready' attitude rather than 'lets push this sucker out to make a quick buck...and then patch it later when gamers are in an uproar about things they don't like about it'...

Axel
26th August 2008, 11:55 AM
My GF is so gonna hate this game cause I sure wont be spending enough time with her anymore :)

Norfolk'n'Clue
26th August 2008, 12:40 PM
Mine actually enjoys Wipeout - one of the few games she does like. The other I've found is Guitar Hero :+

cybrpnk
26th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah the gf loves guitar hero as well...reason why i got another guitar for battles...and she's pretty good at it too...kicks the crap outta me sometimes, and she doesn't even play a real guitar...but i do...geez

For some reason the gf also loves Soul Calibur 4...I swear...Namco introducing a more in-depth character creation = SC4 targeted at a whole female oriented demographic...seriously...lol

Sumimasen
26th August 2008, 02:20 PM
Well, just bought a Dual Shock 3 controller, in anticipation of WOHD's (imminent? ;)) release! This also means that my mrs can play Little Big Planet with me...

Oh, and concerning the whole Soul Calibur character creation thing - three words. 'Ivy' and 'nearly naked'! :nod

xtriko
26th August 2008, 05:32 PM
Axel said:
"My GF is so gonna hate this game cause I sure wont be spending enough time with her anymore :)"

Mate, do like me. Get a wife who also plays Wipeout XD. We are both dieing to play it. And i can add 1 thing! we were going to buy another ps3 only to play against each other lol. thank god that now it has splitscreen. can you imagine a bedroom with 2 hd tv and 2 ps3? XD we were going for it...

Lance
26th August 2008, 05:49 PM
Oh, and concerning the whole Soul Calibur character creation thing - three words. 'Ivy' and 'nearly naked'! :nod

One can do that?! Hmmm.... }lets imagination run wild about... uh.. *coff*..{ well, each to his own fave. :g

turbotortuga
27th August 2008, 04:19 AM
Well if you live in Seattle looks like you will be able to play Wipeout HD before any of us common folk can get ahold of it. That is some bullsh*t. Maybe I should take some leave and go anyway...

http://www.us.playstation.com/EP/Promotions/325?EMC-Event&ATTR=PSU_PAxPromoEM_P001_PPP_DFL_001_PAXContest_H

taqili
27th August 2008, 08:06 PM
Seung Mina!

DawnFireDragoon
27th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Well if you live in Seattle looks like you will be able to play Wipeout HD before any of us common folk can get ahold of it. That is some bullsh*t. Maybe I should take some leave and go anyway...

http://www.us.playstation.com/EP/Promotions/325?EMC-Event&ATTR=PSU_PAxPromoEM_P001_PPP_DFL_001_PAXContest_H

well if it's gonna be at pax, maybe they'll be some more gameplay video's taken by people there and thrown up on youtube. hopefully catch a glimpse of the wip3out HUD and some sol 2 gameplay. and maybe if there's a rep there a definitive answer to what's going on with wipeout pulse ps2 port! :)

Frances_Penfold
28th August 2008, 03:13 AM
*wishes I still lived in Seattle*

:(

infoxicated
28th August 2008, 08:50 AM
*realises that Sleepless in Upstate NY might not have been as catchy a movie title.*

;)

KIGO1987
28th August 2008, 10:17 AM
*wishes I still lived in Seattle*

:(

Where abouts in NY do you live Frances? What other members of WZ, live in NY? I think Avenger2197 does. Would be cool to visit that place one day. When i eventually finish this endless university degree. See some of the Landmarks there would be great. Wouldnt mind visiting Chicago and San Francisco as well:)

rdmx
28th August 2008, 11:29 AM
q_dmc lives in NY, that's all I remember :)

cybrpnk
28th August 2008, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...all's quiet on the Studio Liverpool front...

*taps window*

Hello???

KIGO1987
28th August 2008, 11:32 PM
q_dmc lives in NY, that's all I remember :)

Just online racing with q_dmc12 yesterday.

------

Tap tap on the window of Studio Liverpool.... **** off where extremmly busy!!

They must be completely occupied and dedicated to get everything on course for a fixed release date, and to make sure there are no bugs in the game.

Chill
28th August 2008, 11:54 PM

BLRAHAHAHAAA!!! I live right by Seattle "about 40 minutes away..." I think I could get a friend to take me... YES!!! ;)

Darkdrium777
28th August 2008, 11:55 PM
Couting on you for updates then ;)

Chill
29th August 2008, 12:06 AM
Okie dokie... I'll probably film what I can...

Yeah got directions is about 35 minutes away... I can drive their if my friend doesn't wanna go (getting him into Wipeout too... looks like he's probably gonna be my HD team buddy... :D)

I'll do my best!

Darkdrium777
29th August 2008, 12:53 AM
As a side note, this thread has reached 50,000 views. :rock

Lance
29th August 2008, 04:03 AM
Is that an upside note or a downside note? :D

Darkdrium777
29th August 2008, 04:39 AM
Well it's somewhere on the side. I can't really say where though. Maybe it's diagonally to the side, in one of four possible spots? Or between the diagonals and the vertical/horizontal, in one of the eight possible spots? I don't know...

PS: If there was a reference to something I obviously didn't get it.

Avenger2197
29th August 2008, 05:14 AM
What other members of WZ, live in NY? I think Avenger2197 does.

Indeed I do. Utica to be exact.

Dark: i didn't get it either. I hope it's upside though.:)

On-topic: Can't wait for Sept., or is it Oct.? Ahh, well, whenever.

cybrpnk
29th August 2008, 05:15 AM
*does a 50,000 dance*...whatever that looks like...

so...this PAX 2008 thing looks promising...new videos???

with all that 3D model data of the craft floating around...(no pun intended)...I was thinking today that it wouldn't be difficult at all for Studio Liverpool to upload that data into say maybe Objet, or any other nice 3D printers or rapid prototypers and make some cool models of the craft...

finish the model off with some nice sanding and airbrush work...(burn marks from missiles and whatnot included)

get some perspex...cut it into a nice little stand...suspend the model on it...

voila...WipEout HD collectible model...

eLhabib
29th August 2008, 08:20 AM
I would pay whatever price.

Wip3ou7
29th August 2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah I'd definately like some wipeout collectable ship models... id pay just about anything also, especially if they levitated above their stand or something. I laugh thinking about what id pay for wipeout hd right now... I just spent 60 dollars on three wipeout hd t-shirts alone...

FishDK
29th August 2008, 01:36 PM
Oh what a great idea. Wipeout collection ships. Maybe they could hover by using magnets. That'd look really cool!

Alcachofa
29th August 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm sure one model was made back in the days, like 10 years ago or something (maybe Colin can confirm). It was litteraly floating, thanks to a magnet. But i don't think it has ever been commercialised :(

Frances_Penfold
29th August 2008, 06:59 PM
If I lived in Seattle still I would definitely go to PAX to try the game! Totally worth missing work or whatever.

Where abouts in NY do you live Frances? What other members of WZ, live in NY? I think Avenger2197 does. Would be cool to visit that place one day.)

I think there are lots of Wipers in this area :)

My understanding is that Avenger lives in central upstate NY (Utica) while q-dmc lives in eastern upstate NY (vicinity of Lake George). There are a bunch of wipers in the Greater Toronto Area ("GTA," as they like to call it) including Task, Spaceboy Gojo, Flashback Jack and maybe some others? Jabberjaw lives east of New York state-- Vermont is it?

Lots of potential to meet wipers in person (though unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet because of work demands :( )

*realises that Sleepless in Upstate NY might not have been as catchy a movie title.*

Heh, true enough ;)

Also, there are no houseboats in this area-- lots of water but no houseboats. Probably because property and house prices are 1/4 or 1/5 that of Seattle. Oh, and then there is the cold winter thing in this continental climate that upstate New York has. Probably cold as hell to live on a houseboat in the winter.

flashbax
29th August 2008, 08:03 PM
Just spent a VERY long time reading this whole thred lol, i'm gutted i never knew about this forum as i've been a Wipeout fan since PS1 days. i even kept my wipeout fusion, about the only game i did keep other than TT when giving my PS2 to my other halfs kid sister (HER BRIGHT IDEA). But its taking so long and it seems so close i cant bring my self to re-play it any more...I just want WOHD sooooo bad. Its getting bad when u finish work and the first thing u do is check the PSN, and that been going on for far to long...my worry is when were all done with WOHD what next?? we would all sell our grans for this game (or just maybe me) so when were wanting more were gonna be expecting something unlike anything SL can pull off at the mo, but just to think with the expirience and advance in devs for the game it could make WOHD look dated...ok i'm just really wanting this to come out next thurs....Oh and grat forum guys:beer

Chill
29th August 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm sure one model was made back in the days, like 10 years ago or something (maybe Colin can confirm). It was litteraly floating, thanks to a magnet. But i don't think it has ever been commercialised :(

Much like this floating globe!! Only their would be several magnets on one big grid that connect like a puzzle peice, or that can be taken apart and seperated throuthout the room if you wanted... saweet idea... ;):

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/globus%20hannes_thumb.jpg

I'll be going to the convention tomorrow boys... get their at eleven and try to hang out all day unless it gets boring lol...

Huge warm welcome Flashbax!!! Wow that is unbelievable that you're that much of a fan and it's been that long since you've discovered this site... welcome!!

Lance
30th August 2008, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the WZ, flashbax. If you ever read all of the WZ threads, you would have not my sympathy but my stunned admiration. It was a lot easier to do when I joined the original forum and read it all, but that old version is gone now except possibly on one of AmigoJack's harddrives. Enjoy the now. :D

flashbax
30th August 2008, 07:16 AM
Started to read the Release date thread the day i joined, think it was thurs. Its not to busy at work so i just sat and read as much as i could (to avoid eyes bleeding) in between work and finished last night. Back on topic, well kinda. The latest firmware is going to have the ability to take pics from games your playing, i think it was called screen grab? now i'm thinking this is due out soon and maybe will be around the same time we get WOHD and if so the 2 of them could make for some serious images to show your mates...

Sausehuhn
30th August 2008, 08:48 AM
WOHD has a Photo Mode anyway :)

cybrpnk
30th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the WZ, flashbax. If you ever read all of the WZ threads, you would have not my sympathy but my stunned admiration. It was a lot easier to do when I joined the original forum and read it all, but that old version is gone now except possibly on one of AmigoJack's harddrives. Enjoy the now. :D

Yeah I have to admit...I really like the way these forums have evolved over the years...and it's even nicer to see SL gracing us with their presence on the forums every now and then...

So much love...

In the meantime, whilst waiting for WipEout HD, I've once again fallen for downloading another game...The Last Guy...interesting...

nrXic
31st August 2008, 05:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm spanking new to this forum, and I'm sorry for asking so much from you guys without contributing much to this forum, but I really need your help.

Just an answer to this question:

If you were a betting man, when do you think WO:HD would be released?

Obviously on a Tuesday because most new games are released every Tuesday. Secondly, most likely in September here due to the recent news.

I'm asking because I'm heading an initiative on a multiconsole forum, where we have all resident electronic musicians creating an album SPECIFICALLY for Wipeout:HD. We've actually released 2 albums before, with general themes, but we're all excited for Wipeout (got a lot of us into this sort of music to begin with) and thought that this project would be perfect.

We started around a month ago thinking, "Yeah we got a lot of time, the game is probably delayed until December, we can even work on a couple of tracks" because the news reports all hinted at a 6 month delay into December. But because of this news everyone is scrambling to get their stuff done.

So I set a new timeline where we have to be done by the 23rd of September...what do you guys think?

It's funny, I've been waiting for this game FOREVER, and the second I hear news it's coming out so very soon, I'm actually stressed rather than relieved!

rdmx
31st August 2008, 06:20 AM
Well I can tell you that it'll be a Thursday - the PSN is updated on Thursdays.

Chill
31st August 2008, 07:49 AM
Well I played Wipeout HD... their were only two booths for the game. and one had only the first two tracks unlocked, but the other had 4 so far... The reason I got their was to play Wipeout HD so I looked for that as soon as I got their... started playing those who were already playing and became the Wipeout HD ruler pretty much for that convention lol... Not many people wanted to play as much as they wanted to watch...

But I did record a few races of my own on Phantom... and blew up in the piranha in every last one of them lol... but I did play a non-recorded 4-race tournament with all first places in all races in phantom before that... I also tried racing Vineta K backwards once...

You'll notice that the camera-effect of this game does indeed effect your piloting skills very much, and takes some getting use to. This alone makes it feel like a new Wipeout you're not use to...

Haven't uploaded the vids yet... technical difficulties... will get back on it tomorrow... night!

nrXic
31st August 2008, 09:15 AM
Well I can tell you that it'll be a Thursday - the PSN is updated on Thursdays.

Stupid me...I totally forgot that! Thanks!

Sausehuhn
31st August 2008, 09:40 AM
Chill, did you try the WO3 HUD? :)

DawnFireDragoon
31st August 2008, 11:55 AM
You'll notice that the camera-effect of this game does indeed effect your piloting skills very much, and takes some getting use to. This alone makes it feel like a new Wipeout you're not use to..

no way to turn this off then...that's a real shame.

Frances_Penfold
31st August 2008, 02:22 PM
Chill, I a very jealous of you (1) living in western Washington state; and (2) getting to play Wipeout HD. You are a lucky dude :)

If you were a betting man, when do you think WO:HD would be released?

Obviously on a Tuesday because most new games are released every Tuesday. Secondly, most likely in September here due to the recent news.

I'm asking because I'm heading an initiative on a multiconsole forum, where we have all resident electronic musicians creating an album SPECIFICALLY for Wipeout:HD. We've actually released 2 albums before, with general themes, but we're all excited for Wipeout (got a lot of us into this sort of music to begin with) and thought that this project would be perfect.

We started around a month ago thinking, "Yeah we got a lot of time, the game is probably delayed until December, we can even work on a couple of tracks" because the news reports all hinted at a 6 month delay into December. But because of this news everyone is scrambling to get their stuff done.

So I set a new timeline where we have to be done by the 23rd of September...what do you guys think?

Hey nrXic, welcome to WOZ :)

The wait for Wipeout HD has had so many ups/downs and missed dates that many members here are loathe to even guess when it will finally show up at PSN. One of our members that went to LGC reported that Sony "implied" a September release but that may not happen for any number of reasons.

Does this perchance relate to the Neogaf G.A.M.E. project? A few of us lurk at Neogaf and started a threat about the project... I'll bump that, it's on the "Pilot's lounge" board here: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94662#post94662

Chill
31st August 2008, 05:24 PM
Chill, did you try the WO3 HUD? :)

I didn't know their was a Wipeout 3 HUD, my bad!! Now I wish I looked in the options section a bit more...

I used in-cockpit view most of the time as that's what I usually use anyway...

The tracks do have th reverse option woohoo!! ;)

I didn't try the sixaxis either, as I felt rushed cause their was people all over the place walking around asking "Is that Wipeout HD?" Over and over... It's like "Mabye I should just tape a peice of paper on my back saying "gamer playing Wipeout HD" haha...

Wip3ou7
31st August 2008, 07:28 PM
My WOHD shirts will arrive on Sept 8th, the day after my birthday. I'm really really really wishing for a Sept release on the game, that would be so perfect... My Bday, then my WOHD shirts, and then the game! SEPTEMBER! Please?

Chill
31st August 2008, 08:58 PM
An automatic search of the vids on youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2008+washington+playstation+c onvention&search_type=&aq=f)

I apologize for my friend consistently confusing the lap number with my placing in the race, and zooming in on it on the first lap thinking I'm in first place lol...

Again the racing sucked but I did a hell lot better earlier, mabye if I didn't take such a break then go back and film lol...

nrXic
31st August 2008, 10:18 PM
The wait for Wipeout HD has had so many ups/downs and missed dates that many members here are loathe to even guess when it will finally show up at PSN. One of our members that went to LGC reported that Sony "implied" a September release but that may not happen for any number of reasons.

Thanks for the welcome and yes it is the G.A.M.E. project (I didn't mention it because I didn't want to be considered a spammer with my first post here heheh).

Thanks for the bump in that thread.

Like I said, it would be nice to have it ready by launch, and if the game doesn't come out in September, I think we can work with that, it will allow us to polish up the package (artwork, getting web hosts, etc.), and give some people time to finish a second or third track.

Well one thing is for sure, according to that posting by the SCEA producer, they'll announce a date "in the coming weeks", meaning that we should know the solid date fairly soon here. I only wanted to get a bit more of an idea because of the planning for our project and the phases it has to go through.

Thanks again!