PDA

View Full Version : How will Sony attract/gain new buyers interested in HD?

KIGO1987
4th September 2008, 11:30 AM
This is a bit off topic, but how will SL and Sony attract/gain new buyers interested in this product? What are there plans of international advertisment on this product?

This product has 100% certainty that it will be only released on the Playstation Store Network.. Yes? The only advertisement campain currently for Wipeout HD has only been a few official trailers and some articles on commonly used gaming websites. Which have only gained the attention of hardcore enthusiasts at this rate. Will there be advertisments on TV adverts or on posters inside gaming stores before its release date to attract newer consumers, what are SL and Sony's plans to attact more possible buyers? It would be great to see Wipeout HD a huge success internationally, something like ten fold of the success stories of the handheld varients of the Wipeout games.

Darkdrium777
4th September 2008, 11:55 AM
There will be some ads on the Store thanks to the new look, on PS3 and on PC. That is certain (There is that kind of image for every game, even PS1 releases sometimes). However I don't know for anything else.

eLhabib
4th September 2008, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'd die for some well designed billboard ads - just don't think it's gonna happen. I barely see any game ad billboards anymore these days... :(

rdmx
4th September 2008, 01:01 PM
Sony has gotta get SOME sort of TV ad on. They need to raise a little hype otherwise the only people who will know it's out are the people who check game websites and the PSN constantly.

I'm sure they've learned their lesson from Pulse. Or have they?

KIGO1987
4th September 2008, 01:14 PM
Sony has gotta get SOME sort of TV ad on. They need to raise a little hype otherwise the only people who will know it's out are the people who check game websites and the PSN constantly.

I'm sure they've learned their lesson from Pulse. Or have they?

That exactly what i was thinking about. There needs to be a much bigger hype on the promotion of this title, even promoting the game during the Red Bull Air race around the world on huge posters (maybe that extremme) but it could become a serious major seller that way. GobalGatheringl is coming down to Perth soon, some Wipeout promotions on poster with some of the best House, Electro, Dance, Trance artist that are involved in the game like 'Kraftwerk' will be peforming during that event. Damn what a good way to get the game promoted. Wipeout HD would become Platnium by years end!

Axel
4th September 2008, 01:26 PM
Guys the way the game is being distrbuted is the problem. You can't apply normal marketing tactics for a downloadable game. The best way to advertise the game would be through the Internet since the people who are more likely to be able to get hold of the game are those with Internet connections.

But thats the hard part, the Internet is so vast and big on the choices of which sites to advertise yur game. I'm sure Sony Marketing department has already looked into the matter. I would be suprised to see the game advertised on the streets and TV TBH.

If they do advertise the game on the TV, have a feeling it would be about the PSN network on a whole. The advert show casing multiple games currently available on the PSN network.

Rubix42
4th September 2008, 01:32 PM
I don't think there is that much to be concerned with really. Pixeljunk Eden did just fine as a downloadable title and it wasn't ever even advertised really. Just announced and put up for sale.

eLhabib
4th September 2008, 01:47 PM
Consider the budget behind an 'ordinary' PSN title like Pixel Junk Eden, and then consider the budget behind wipEout HD.
Would be interesting to know what kind of advertising Warhawk had. Anyone know?

rdmx
4th September 2008, 01:51 PM
A TV ad at the very least:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8Ft6C4VuY

flashbax
4th September 2008, 01:55 PM
So whos up for making the TV AD??:p

Bytehawk
4th September 2008, 01:56 PM
best way to promote this : a music video

flashbax
4th September 2008, 01:59 PM
Any of u guys artists??? Get some wheat pasting out there, not that i'm encouraging it but it would be cool to see them popping up on the news and in the press, best kinda of publisity...

eLhabib
4th September 2008, 02:02 PM
Wheat pasting?

flashbax
4th September 2008, 02:09 PM
They use posters lots of them stuck up in public places. Its not allowed in most countrys its a form of graffiti...

Chill
4th September 2008, 02:12 PM
The best way to commercialize the game is to just show it... Just use a trailer as a commercial.

The acting portion of games usually are just a waste of time (unless it's really funny, but that commercial wasn't)...

They did a commercial for Wipeout XL, but I never saw it on TV... if your going to do a commercial, it NEEDS to be on TV!!

I think they already did a Wipeout HD commercial once, or it was Pulse? I remember some kind of Wipeout commercial about a year back showing up in a dayroom...

Norfolk'n'Clue
4th September 2008, 02:15 PM
Consider the budget behind an 'ordinary' PSN title like Pixel Junk Eden, and then consider the budget behind wipEout HD.
Would be interesting to know what kind of advertising Warhawk had. Anyone know?

Warhawk was a release title, so I imagine Sony paid for a lot of the PR.

Alcachofa
4th September 2008, 02:49 PM
I hope they will do as much viral marketing as they can since they've got quite a fanbase on this franchise.

It's not on the same scale for sure, but viral marketing around The Dark Knight was amazing for example.

kanar
4th September 2008, 03:02 PM
It appears that we have to promote the game ourselves. I will distribute home-made flyers eventually around me lol

Lance
4th September 2008, 03:07 PM
lol

And I will talk it up to every gamer I know who owns a PS3 and then... uh... wait a minute, the only gamer I know has an X-box 360 and uh.. I don't own a PS3 either. So... uh... nevermind. :D

supersocks
4th September 2008, 03:22 PM
Detergents!

KIGO1987
4th September 2008, 03:31 PM
WTF i dont remember making a thread.

I was wondering where this came from, it came from the Release Date Thread.

Now to how to promote Wipeout HD, hmmm i could pesker a few people who are still yet to purchase a PS3 console. Ah i got a good idea, i could make a video on my YouTube channel to promote this game, then i would get into **** with copyright issues with the music artists and Sony.... hmmm.

Seriously a few commercials on TV would do well to promote this game. But if some well know music artists that are used in this game like Kraftwerk and Mason maybe there can promote this game inside there upcoming single or albums. Good idea hey, 'i assist you, you assist me'.

Lance
4th September 2008, 03:51 PM
Do you remember intentionally going offtopic ["This is a bit off topic, but how will SL and Sony attract/gain new buyers".....] in the ^Release Date^ thread? Well, 16 other posts followed offtopic without ever coming back to the release date, so I made them into a thread of their own.

But.. er.. back to the uh... topic. ;)

Norfolk'n'Clue
4th September 2008, 04:11 PM
I know a friend of mine is likely to buy a PS3 once it finally releases.

flashbax
4th September 2008, 04:14 PM
If i win the euro millions tomorrow i'll set up my own ad campaigne :) and buy everyone on here with out a PS3 so they can D/L it...Thats only if i win the full 70mill :guitar

Axel
4th September 2008, 04:25 PM
My brother doesn't have a PS3, can you buy one for him please when you win :P

Flashback Jack
4th September 2008, 04:37 PM
Well, to be frank, my purchasing HD depends on someone getting their act together and offering the extra Pulse content to the rest of the world. Whether I purchase a PS3 is dependent on whether I purchase HD. Cascade effect.

- F

Lance
4th September 2008, 07:33 PM
@Norfolk'n'Clue, Axel, and Flashback Jack: But what do you think Sony should do to advertise the game?

Rapier Racer
4th September 2008, 07:34 PM
Thats only if i win the full 70mill :guitar

:p It's actually 92 Million! Enough for pay for the download for everyone too.

Frances_Penfold
4th September 2008, 09:07 PM
I'll be curious to see what Sony comes up with-- but I don't expect much outside of paid online advertisements at videogame websites and the like. I sure haven't seen much advertisement in general for online distributed games. On the other hand, digital distributed content seems to "have legs," with more drawn out sales. Hopefully Wipeout HD will be cheap enough and have good reviews so that it becomes a staple download even for future PS3 owners :)

Well, to be frank, my purchasing HD depends on someone getting their act together and offering the extra Pulse content to the rest of the world. Whether I purchase a PS3 is dependent on whether I purchase HD. Cascade effect.

So no Wipeout HD for you? :p

I have completely given up hope on the DLC :(

Axel
4th September 2008, 09:08 PM
I was mainly thinking of them hitting the Gaming websites, Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot etc. We all know games sales depends on reviews and lest be honest, there is a lot of bias from the gaming press.

Viral marketing does work. I remember the billboard advert for Fusion with the setting of London and a track going around it. It definitely caught my eyes as i didn't even know it was for Wipeout fusion!!!

This is supposed to be their flagship game for the PSN network. If they are going for TV ads and billboards, then it's got to be clever but also note that this game is downloadable only. I think these guys may have shot themselves in the foot by not making this into Blue Ray. But you can counter argue this by saying that the distribution method of delivering the game via the PS Store is far, far cheaper.

Anywho, only time will tell.

Flashback Jack
4th September 2008, 09:23 PM
But what do you think Sony should do to advertise the game?

Release the Pulse packs on every region's Playstation Store and attach a tagline saying "oh yeah, Wipeout HD is about to be released soon." That ought to garner 'em plenty of attention. :)

- F

Lance
4th September 2008, 09:34 PM
By golly, that's just crazy enough to work. :)
There would probably need to be something more to attract people who don't own a PSP and may not be checking the online store, but for North American PSP owners in particular, that announcement should certainly get their attention!

Wip3ou7
4th September 2008, 09:36 PM
There are two small WipEout HD "movie-posters" outside of the Theatre in the Central Square area of PlayStation HOME (Yay I got in the BETA!). I looked around extensively but that's all I could find. I'm glad it's there at all.

Rubix42
4th September 2008, 09:37 PM
It's hard to figure out what a good advertisement campaign is for a digital game. How does Sam and Max do so well?

Really, other than putting it up on the PSN and a PSBlog post about it, I bet we won't see much else regarding WipeoutHD at all. Sure, each review site will do their review which is free advertising.

But really, Sony hasn't done much of any advertising of the PSN games. Ratchet Quest for Booty was just dropkicked onto the PSN for download and them seemingly forgotten.

Lance
4th September 2008, 09:43 PM
@Axel: PSN distribution would sure be cheaper, but, yeah, I think Sony really should do a lot more. If I ever get the console, that doesn't mean that I will have wireless or even wired broadband. I want to see TV adverts and have discs in brickandmortar stores where I can buy one.

Chill
5th September 2008, 12:29 AM
I agree with the both of you on the blue-ray issue...

If they had it on blue-ray, I would be able to buy it soon without having to buy a PS3, but simply using a public PS3 offered to us military, and oh my god would I have so much fun with that, playing with the huge HDTVs we have in our dayrooms... with router capability... then meanwhile I could save up for my own PS3 and HDTV without falling behind everyone else...

cybrpnk
5th September 2008, 03:28 AM
this may sound too much like a 'i told you so' but SL or Sony...if you are lurking, don't take it personally...

Home would have been the best vehicle for marketing of HD if only it was implemented a lot earlier to the public...virtual dynamic banners in a virtual space populated by a whole bunch of established PS3 user would have been the perfect vehicle...

otherwise...I'm not a marketing person myself...more a designer who tried learning a bit about marketing...the digital world of the w w w would be perfect...say maybe *dread horror* facebook??? or just banners on gaming sites...gamerankings, gamespot, 1up, IGN...I'm even surprised wipeoutzone is not plastered with some cool HD stuff...

aw well...at the end of the day...its cool that the game is finally nearly here...but its scary not knowing how well this will do, which will determine the future of the series...

Chill
5th September 2008, 05:10 AM
When I went to the washington convention all their was was the two booths, no billboards, no presentation of that game what-so-ever... so everyone had to constantly ask "is that Wipeout HD?" And what of the people who didn't recognize it, but wondered what it was, then forgot about it? It's little things like this that need to be improved, definately...

It's also the disk that can advertise as well... when people see it, they notice it of course... and the person's friends/relatives/whatever... they see it as well...

alka16r
5th September 2008, 10:28 AM
does anyone knows the number of sales for each of the previous wipeout franchise game? by the way does anyone remind advertising about former wipeout games ?

flashbax
5th September 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm a big fan of MOTOGP well everything sports bike!! And i watch a lot of sky tv eurosport ect in HD now imagine the WOHD AD starting up in the break with the HD visuals, music, I personaly think that would leave a fair few people sat there thinking WOW!! and spur them on to find out when,were,how to get there hands on such a game.

eLhabib
5th September 2008, 11:35 AM
... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400€ console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.

flashbax
5th September 2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe i was looking at it with rose tinted glasses, my idea of a perfect world...

Norfolk'n'Clue
5th September 2008, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm not sure much advertising is needed to be fair - all they need to do is give release copies to all the gaming websites ahead of time, and they will do the rest.

Alcachofa
5th September 2008, 02:23 PM
That's where it might hurt imo : several websites have already done previews on this game, relayed release dates that were false, rumours about why it got delayed and so on. All this while Sony's "communication" (:turd) around this game was and still is a hell of a mess ... We are lucky to have Colin here !

Gaming websites are important of course, but will they still be eager to do some extensive coverage when the game will FINALLY be available ? I really hope they do !

RJ O'Connell
5th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Every time the game is mentioned outside WipeoutZone on the interwebs there's been about a 99% positive average response. IGN, NeoGAF, even the troll-laden 4th channel - the only widespread complaint seems to be "when is it FINALLY coming out???".

Wipeout HD has the potential to sell itself, with the insane graphics power and online play that may actually work like clockwork.

I'm really excited.

(maybe I shouldn't jinx it by declaring super excitement. I did that with Fusion and Pulse. That went well, eh? :- )

mdhay
5th September 2008, 04:48 PM
... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400? console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.

Wip3ou7 did say to me on the PSN that he saw a poster in Home.:)

flashbax
5th September 2008, 09:28 PM
Lets just put some faith in the big SCEE, please let this happen in the next coming 3 weeks, Us europeans need some winter warmers and this has gotta be the hottest, after just having a good 2 hrs stint on warhawk and buying all the new content...witch could have been WOHD D/L content..please hurry..

nrXic
5th September 2008, 09:40 PM
Well, for the hardcore gamer and hardcore racing fan, this is pretty much up there on everyone's "to buy" list. From that perspective, it doesn't need a whole lot of advertising.

But I think this game could be a system seller, a game that can move consoles, a "killer app" to those who don't yet have a PS3. So I think it's in Sony's best interests to advertise the game heavily to the common customer.

As mentioned, magazine ads, forum ads, website ads, Sony probably has that all covered. But I think a TV spot would do wonders as well.

XBLA and PSN have been the neglected stepchildren of both MS and Sony. They've had some excellent games come out on both and yet there has been little advertising for them. I think Sony can change that with a focus on WO:HD.

Now, I have considered that they have released a game like Siren, and it didn't get a TV spot...so I'm not getting my hopes up.

But I think that WO:HD is so unique and has such widespread appeal that if there is any PSN game to advertise, it's this one.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PSN/XBLA game development budgets are quite low, and one reason is because not a lot is spend on advertising. These games can sell a "measely" 50K copies and still be profitable. Of course, Siren, Warhawk, and Wipeout cost more than the typical digital download title, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wipeout HD (as it is an upgraded port) didn't cost a whole lot to make. That a racer like F1:CE cost way more to make for Liverpool.

WipeOut:HD, unlike many retail titles, will be available on PSN from now till PS4...meaning that steady sales over 5 years are a possibility. Anyone who buys a PS3 in 2012, may not see games like Motorstorm 2 on retail shelves, but will definitely see WO:HD on PSN. It's the benefit of being a digital download title. So perhaps Sony is looking at a steady form of advertising. Say that Sony drops the price of the PS3 to $199 in 2010, and you have millions buying it that year...they can boost advertising for that game at that period.

Anyways, I've typed a lot and covered so many different subjects, I should narrow it down a bit nextime. :p

-addendum-

... and then they'll find out they'd have to buy a 400€ console to play it, and they forget it again. Sorry, but the main target group for Sony with HD is the people who already have a PS3, and are online with it. You have to realize that - apart from a small, crazy bunch of people (including myself) - this game alone is no reason for anyone to buy an expensive console.

You could be right...but I look at it from the perspective that there are many waiting to buy a PS3 once their favorite games are on it. A lot of people waited to get a PS3 until MGS4 came out, and if you look at the boost in PS3 sales in Japan, it was pretty clear that people were waiting. Now, does Wipeout have the same draw as MGS4? Probably not...but I'm sure there are a lot of PSP owners who are new Wipeout fans that, once they see WO:HD in action, will probably save up for a PS3 that second.

Norfolk'n'Clue
5th September 2008, 10:04 PM
You pretty much just need to watch a clip of WO in full HD to convince you to buy it if you were wavering even slightly. I know a lot of folk who just hate the game as well though.

Darkdrium777
5th September 2008, 11:19 PM
I don't understand how you can hate a game. You have the right not to play it because it's not your genre (Or for any reason), but hate it enough to just be outright aggressive toward any fan? Sorry but you lost me there... Especially when the game concerned is WipEout HD, which is I believe a very simple concept (But an awesome one still). Maybe it's because I'm on the wrong side of the fence...

Task
6th September 2008, 12:40 AM
I don't understand how you can hate a game.Oh, no problem, that's easy! Just imagine all the "good" games that could've been made if all the ones you'll never play hadn't been made! 8 D

but hate it enough to just be outright aggressive toward any fan?Woah! Where'd you get that from? I read his post three times and didn't see that part!
---
Anyway, back on topic, since it's internet release, I'd expect to see web advertising if anything at all. Advertising like this would probably show up at most a day or two before release and go on for a week or two.
I think the best thing would be a Penny Arcade banner, likely with the filesize (534 Mb download!) in the picture since everyone seems to think that's the most important thing to know about it. 8 P

Darkdrium777
6th September 2008, 01:23 AM
Woah! Where'd you get that from? I read his post three times and didn't see that part!Well it's easy just go to some popular fan sites or on Youtube and you will eventually catch comments of people hating on others because of games. :/ I didn't say he talked about it but it does happen, I was just expanding his point and talking about what I saw. ;)

KIGO1987
6th September 2008, 07:34 AM
I still havent seen any advetisments of Wipeout HD in any of the GAME and the Electronic Boutique stores around here.

Maybe a few months after the release of this game, a PS3 bundle should come out including 2 Dualshock controllers and Wipeout HD already installed onto the PS3 hard drive (depending on how big the success of Wipeout HD is).

On another note ive just releasied that the 80GB PS3 console has hit the Australian market.

Bytehawk
6th September 2008, 12:41 PM
a demo would do wonders as well.

rdmx
6th September 2008, 03:23 PM
They could use an ad like this (shameless plug):
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=m9U-uvqZTS8
=D ^_^ A 1080p version will come later.
EDIT: 1080p
http://files.filefront.com/wipeout+hd+ad+quicktimemp4/;11718586;/fileinfo.html

supersocks
6th September 2008, 04:34 PM
Introduction is way too long for an ad of this length and that "Adrenaline-fuelled Combat Racing" feels bit lonely in there but the whole section from 0:20 onwards has an amazing awesome roll to it. Brilliant :)

James_sp
6th September 2008, 06:18 PM
insertcoin, that tv ad is amazing! i love it.
Who is the artist of the song?

Sausehuhn
6th September 2008, 06:22 PM
Utah Saints - Something Good '08 I guess.

KIGO1987
6th September 2008, 07:18 PM
Nice. Youve got the Utah Saints single i see. Good editing. These guys actually did a track in Fusion called 'Sick' is any of you guys remember. UK music for a UK made game, sounds about right also. One of these clips a tad shorter, during prime time TV should do the trick. What would sound fkn awesome would be advert with Eric Prydz music in the mix, and it would sell like crazy if there was an advert with Pendulum music in it:rock:nod

JABBERJAW
6th September 2008, 07:48 PM
Will they even try is more of the question. Killed pulse by not advertising was completely ridiculous, and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened again. I hope this is not the case since I would actually like to see another wipeout

Frances_Penfold
6th September 2008, 09:27 PM
I actually saw a fair bit of Pulse advertisement but it was online only-- various wallpapers at IGN and stuff.

Pulse certainly deserved more help out of the gate but at the same time, I would guess that it was destined to fail because (1) Wipeout has a relatively small established fan base; (2) Wipeout Pure had released just two years prior, had excellent sales, saturated the market and was available for cheap at the time that Pulse released; and (3) the PSP user base is not that hardcore (and prone to pirating what they want anyway).

I think that Wipeout HD has the potential to do substantially better than Pulse because it's the first home console version of the franchise in a long while, and because it's digitally distributed and therefore should "have legs" and maintain sales into the coming years (as others have said). As happy as I am that Pulse was released, from a sales perspective, it is perhaps unfortunate that Studio Liverpool didn't focus on Wipeout HD as a launch title for PS3, or at least, a very early release on the PSN. No doubt early release helped Pure achieve the sales it did on the PSP.

Edit-- another STUPID thing that hurt Pulse was that it was essentially a stealth release. This is not how you build hype for a product!

RJ O'Connell
6th September 2008, 10:05 PM
Like I said, it can sell itself. :g

rdmx
7th September 2008, 02:25 AM
For anyone remotely interested, here is the 1080p - 60fps version of the ad. Quality isn't as great as I would hope but it's fine.
http://files.filefront.com/wipeout+hd+ad+quicktimemp4/;11718586;/fileinfo.html
EDIT:
Heh supersocks - I also thought the intro needed a little bit of trimming since the ad goes 5 seconds over. Also, the 'adrenaline-filled bla-de-bla needed another card to go with it so it didn't feel so lonely.

Wip3ou7
7th September 2008, 05:50 AM
Oh my god today is my birthday and still no WipEout HD. At least the custom WOHD t shirts I ordered will arrive tomorrow ;) I hope (for the sake of all the people who arent wipeout fans...yet) that wipeout hd's price will be $19.99. Just so more people will buy it. Although I would spend just about any amount of money to have it. ****, I spent $60 on just the 3 wipeout hd SHIRTS, so obviously the price of the game is irrelivant for a die-hard fan like myself. You know why I want WipEout HD so bad? Because I know that this will be one of those games that I will play for the rest of my life.

mdhay
7th September 2008, 06:55 AM
I think Sony's relying on us to advertise it.

flashbax
7th September 2008, 10:30 AM
insertcoin, try putting a track like CYGNUS-X.. HYPERMETRICAL over that, but you gotta wait until around the 2.20 mark b4 it kicks in. Man i could make a thread on the selection of tracks to play the game with when it comes out...
In fact the first 3 tracks from that album would be great...

Lance
7th September 2008, 04:16 PM
We already have threads for talking about music for racing in WipEout. I'm sure you'll find interesting selections and discussions of music on those threads. :D

-----------

mdhay: If Sony is relying on us, I'm thinking those shirts that "Wip3ou7" is talking about would be at least a bit of help in promoting the game, but nearly enough, no matter how many of us did such things. Sony themselves should be doing a lot more IMO. Why let a franchise flounder about in unknown lonely splendour when you could spend money to make money so that all the money invested didn't go to waste? Look at movies; often the advertising budget is 20 to 50 percent of the amount spent to make the movie, but they would not ever get that investment back if they spent too little on promotion.

cybrpnk
8th September 2008, 07:51 PM
4 words to promote this baby...collector's edition model toys...hell...if Studio Liverpool can trust me, send down the 3D data of the crafts over and I can get them printed on the 3D printers we have at uni...might take a few days though...seeing how intricately designed these craft are...

Lance
8th September 2008, 11:50 PM
Hmm.. I like that idea. mm... how about also collector's edition paper ship models by our very own Jan Rükr [sp?]?

JABBERJAW
9th September 2008, 12:08 AM
Lance wrote "@Norfolk'n'Clue, Axel, and Flashback Jack: But what do you think Sony should do to advertise the game?"

I'll field this one. Actually do it! :) just like they advertised pure. Hell, they even had wipeout 3 ads on tv in the US, why not HD, especially how good it looks.

Darkdrium777
9th September 2008, 12:17 AM
Distribute fliers and hang posters around the town we live in? :D
Then we get a discount associated with out PSN ID when we buy HD xD

Wip3ou7
10th September 2008, 02:00 PM
The WipEout HD trailer is playing at the Theatre in PS HOME today. That's at least a little bit of focus advertising for the game happening.

KIGO1987
20th December 2008, 02:19 AM
Just wondering did SL hit there sales target they where aiming for?

TheFrostE
20th December 2008, 03:06 AM
i think they exceeded their initial sales expectancy

eLhabib
20th December 2008, 03:48 AM
I don't think they did, honestly. While ~230,000 (I think that's the current state) is quite a bit for a downloadable game, I think they were secretly hoping for a million, and aiming for half a million, at least. Let's just hope the sales are enough to justify DLC. Lots.

darkfaerytales
20th December 2008, 08:46 AM
are you sure are 230,000 elhabib? i remenber somewhere i've read sales were a lot much of 230,000 but maybe it's a mistake...

however the only person can state this corectly is someone who works at sony,i think

Axel
20th December 2008, 08:59 AM
Well Street Fighter 2 HD hit 250k and is reported to be the fastest DLC so far. So i think El numbers are correct. I think they were hoping for a million, but I guess Sony still needs to work on their marketing for starters.

The advertising for this game wasn't spectacular and games selling in the stores aren't really selling that well. This period is gaming has been the hardest ever with so many good games coming out. There are loads of people out there who are looking to purchase the game later after they have finished the others.

SL going the correct way by bringing out the demo. But I felt the demo should have come out ages ago TBH. There are a lot of people who will only buy a game after they have tried it. Also continued DLC content for HD will bring in more sales as people will see the game is supported.

crawdad62
20th December 2008, 03:52 PM
I think there should always be a demo. That's sold a few games from PSN to me that I would've never considered otherwise. Of course there are games that I don't even look at that do have demos but if it's marginally interesting I'll download it and give it a shot.

Of course Wipeout HD was something I've been waiting for since I got my PS3 a year ago so that doesn't count. But I'm sure they would have sold more if there would've been one right from the start.

Weird thing though. I spend some time on the Playstation forums and there's been quite a bit of discussion on just how hard WOHD is and many people are frustrated playing it and give up (even after the update). I'm not sure how to take that. I can't understand why people want something they zoom right through. I suppose it's instant gratification that people want now.

KGB
20th December 2008, 05:18 PM
I don't think they did, honestly. While ~230,000 (I think that's the current state) is quite a bit for a downloadable game, I think they were secretly hoping for a million, and aiming for half a million, at least. Let's just hope the sales are enough to justify DLC. Lots.

If you check the record tables they don't go up to the figures your talking about. Ive mentioned this in another post and 55,000 was quoted. I haven't checked this but if you went to the slowest class and first race in the campaign record tables, then that would give you the amount of people that have downloaded it i think.

Ive read elsewhere that SL/Sony pulled the plug on Pulse DLC in North America because of poor sale hope the same doesn't happen with HD.

eLhabib
20th December 2008, 06:28 PM
Actually, that's exactly how I got to the estimated number of 230,000. Last time I checked (which was about a month ago), the record tables for a Single Race on Vineta K Venom held around 220,000 entries. Just check it out right now if you wanna see the current numbers. Of course, that doesn't necessarily represent the exact number of 'units' sold, as people could potentially create multiple accounts on one PS3 and play with several of them, creating records. Still, I think it's safe to assume that wipEout HD has sold somewhere around 200,000, which is already good for a downloadable game, but nowhere near great. SSFIIHDR sold 250,000 in the first two weeks, wipEout HD has been out for almost 2 months now...

blackwiggle
20th December 2008, 09:32 PM
You should also factor in that the last wipeout release that was playable on a TV set was almost 10 years ago,so you have a whole heap of players that basically only know the PSP versions and because of no playable demo being available don't realize how huge a change it is.
I think you also have to factor in that some people just see HD as a remake of Pulse,so they haven't bothered.
Plus they might think they are going to get stiffed in the added content dept [Pulse in N.America]
I don't think sales in Japan have been very good if the Japanese online presence is a way to gauge sales there.

But I think the biggest blow to possible sales was releasing HD as it was with no campaign difficulty level adjustment prior to the patch.
People just found it too hard,and that fact got spread by word of mouth.
I remember the download night,must of been 30 or so people at the Australian PS forum all getting it at the same time,out of those I've seen 2 playing WOHD in the last 2 months,most gave up after 3 weeks.
I wonder how many people have WOHD installed and have given up prior to the patch because it was too hard and don't realize that the patch exists.
I don't remember seeing anything [news] reporting the patch officially on any Sony site,and a lot of people do not visit gaming forums,you just have to see the amount of new posters at the HOME site to see that.

Hopefully some DLC will spice things up a bit,plus the Xmas WOHD promo/temp price drop and playable demo.

crawdad62
20th December 2008, 09:55 PM
That's a good point BW. There's probably a lot of players that gave up and didn't even apply the patch. I think if SL does release DLC it should play up the fact that there's difficulty setting built in now.

KGB
20th December 2008, 10:16 PM
Actually, that's exactly how I got to the estimated number of 230,000. Last time I checked (which was about a month ago), the record tables for a Single Race on Vineta K Venom held around 220,000 entries. Just check it out right now if you wanna see the current numbers. Of course, that doesn't necessarily represent the exact number of 'units' sold, as people could potentially create multiple accounts on one PS3 and play with several of them, creating records. Still, I think it's safe to assume that wipEout HD has sold somewhere around 200,000, which is already good for a downloadable game, but nowhere near great. SSFIIHDR sold 250,000 in the first two weeks, wipEout HD has been out for almost 2 months now...

Well that's great eLhabib, if I'm wrong, brilliant. Because as i said i hadn't looked at that specific table but it had said a lot less than that in other tables that i had looked at. That figure is a lot more respectable and hopefully good news regarding DLC in Europe anyway.

Sideshow
22nd December 2008, 11:01 AM
I saw this (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/19/pain-is-the-most-downloaded-game-on-psn-in-2008/) linked to from Kotaku. Looks like it's generated off of #downloads, but it doesn't state that explicitly. I have no clue why Wipeout gets no love, it's ridiculously cheap for its quality.

blackwiggle
22nd December 2008, 11:48 AM
Nearly every game on that list is far cheaper than WOHD.

I think that list says more about what people are willing to spend on what they probably consider to be the first generation of "Vapourware Games".

eLhabib
22nd December 2008, 11:51 AM
Ouch. That seriously hurts :(

lunar
22nd December 2008, 11:56 AM
But all of those games have been available for a lot longer than HD and have had more time to sell. I don`t think it necessarily indicates HD has done badly.

H3avyM3tal
22nd December 2008, 12:03 PM
We should also factor people who shared the game. There must be many people like this, since sharing is quite successful on the PSN.

All in all, I think WOHD is quite a hit, considering it's status.

Darkdrium777
22nd December 2008, 05:58 PM
Keep in mind that there's a demo coming, with a price drop... Does it mean that HD has done well, and they now can reduce the price? Or not...
Hmmm...

KIGO1987
22nd December 2008, 06:08 PM
Can anyone from SL or Sony say here that they are satisfied with there product sales and set targets? Because im interested if/when/possible that the additional content download packs would/will be released.

H3avyM3tal
24th December 2008, 01:22 PM
The demo is out on the euro psn. Anyone knows what is uncluded?

darkfaerytales
26th December 2008, 11:29 AM
so...a xmas without dlc...:frown:

KIGO1987
26th December 2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe in the new year....:nod

RJ O'Connell
26th December 2008, 12:36 PM
Extra content at christmas would have been agonizing. HD itself took half an hour. Then there was that irritating "unlock key" I also had to pick up, then the 1.20 patch.

I just want to play the game sometimes, ya know? Give me time before dumping a whole mess of extra goodies.

darkfaerytales
26th December 2008, 02:32 PM
if only we could know something about...

KIGO1987
26th December 2008, 03:42 PM
HD itself took half an hour.

Is that the Download file for the game? Mine took just under half a ****ing day! Even more agonising was watching everyone else who DL the game already playing it and i could see it on the XMB friends list.

rdmx
27th December 2008, 03:07 AM
Agonising is being overseas and only having youtube videos of people playing the game :P

KIGO1987
27th December 2008, 07:24 AM
That right you where in North America at the time Wipeout HD was released.

djKyoto
27th December 2008, 07:31 AM
Saw it on the AU store today for only $23.95. (Was $27.95). :rock

blackwiggle
27th December 2008, 07:52 AM
Seems a few that have had downloaded WOHD have started playing it again.

LBP does not seem to have the ever ending attention that SONY wished it would have.

People want to RACE....:rock

KIGO1987
3rd June 2009, 06:33 PM
I gotta say after seeing the live stream of Sony Conference at E3 live on the net last night it was pretty ****ing awesome. But in the upcoming release of Fury DLC pack was just under a second of footage.

There needs to be heaps for advertising for this game.

I have no idea's on Sony marketing tactics at the moment, but it would be interesting to know why Wipeout isnt as widely advertised as it should be.

Xavier
3rd June 2009, 07:09 PM
I agree, KIGO, and this game has to be one of the easiest possible to make commercials for -- you can basically just broadcase 30 seconds of high-speed, pulse-pounding racing! Follow that with "Wipeout Fury. On PS3. Now."

And you're done!

KIGO1987
3rd June 2009, 07:10 PM
Agreed!:+