PDA

View Full Version : HELL YES! Official PSP <-> PSP adhoc via PS3

Frances_Penfold
3rd September 2008, 01:25 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333699

Holy eff'n **** if this is true-- we can play Wipeout Pure by officially Sony "tunneling" using the PS3?! Plus we can continue to play Wipeout Pulse if/when Sony takes the servers offline?

:hyper

Very impressive-- hats off to Sony for making this happen. "Out of the handheld ghetto" and all that ;)

Edit-- ok, the full impact of this is now unclear-- maybe it doesn't apply to all games? The original announcement is in Japanese so there's some confusion about whether this is only for future games or applies to past ones that we "ad-hoc" only... hopefully to be resolved soon...

Nadia Elenova
3rd September 2008, 02:57 PM
Good news indeed! Hope this works for both Wipeout Pure and Pulse.

Sausehuhn
3rd September 2008, 07:07 PM
Seems like it's only for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. Maybe Sony will add it to the list? But I don't think so.

Frances_Penfold
3rd September 2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'm getting mixed signals on whether this applies to ALL PSP games with infrastructure or, going forward, new games that are designed specifically to use the feature.

If the latter, I don't really get it-- why not just include a true infrastructure online mode for the game if you want it to have online play? I suppose it could help folks that have only a wired ethernet line hooked to their PSP. Maybe it decreases costs on the development side in terms of maintaining servers and the like.

If its the former-- Sony is basically giving us online play for the many PSP titles that were released with ad-hoc but not infrastructure multi-player. A dedicated tunneling system for handhelds, such an awesome thing it would be.

Anyway, hopefully there will be clarification from SCE or SCEA regarding the features, the Japanese info is hard to unravel.

Darkdrium777
3rd September 2008, 09:29 PM
This may be some X-Link like application. Monster Hunter Portable 2 G might be on the list because it's the #1 best selling PSP game in the world, all because of Japan fans crazy about it. Other best sellers may be on the list too (I hope so) but maybe it's just Capcom doing that.
Anyways I hope as well that this turns out like Kai, but I don't think those who have PS3s will make the switch just yet. ;)

RJ O'Connell
4th September 2008, 01:01 AM
Makes sense, it's the only other game besides Pure that anyone plays through X-Link.

Maybe it'll be compatible and that would certainly give me yet ANOTHER reason to buy the big black box. :+

Xavier
4th September 2008, 05:40 AM
It looks like the Monster Hunter game is the first such connectable game (hajime to suru), and that there will be others in the future, but it's not clear if they mean that they will design future games to be compatible with it, or if the compatibility will extend to past games.

Sure would be nice if the older games got a boost this way.

Axel
4th September 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh yes, I maybe able to play agains't you guys on PURE. Bloody cool!!!