PDA

View Full Version : With or without BRD?

alka16r
29th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi everybody

As I ask in the title, justto have an idea (and also maybe Sony will hear our voices and change their mind...) could you just anybody who will read this post, give your opinion or just say how would you prefer WO:HD to be released: only downoloadable on PSN or BRD release or both.

Personaly I beg Sony and pray the god of publishers for a BRD release. I'm crazy about the artwork and all the stuff about WO.

Yagya
29th July 2008, 09:22 PM
perhaps i'm out of the loop, but what does BRD stand for?

alka16r
29th July 2008, 09:33 PM
perhaps i'm out of the loop, but what does BRD stand for?

sorry. I mean blue ray disk.

Yagya
29th July 2008, 09:55 PM
ah! for the life of me i couldn't figure out the acronym. usually i can figure them out pretty quickly. i'd like to have a box for the game, but perhaps this is further strengthening the idea that they are indeed working on a separate ps3 wipeout title. :hyper

eLhabib
29th July 2008, 11:05 PM
I'll definitely say bluray, if only for having another sweet manual!

Wip3ou7
29th July 2008, 11:09 PM
I always perfer a hard copy over a download. Manuals, artwork, a box, all make it much nicer of course.

cybrpnk
30th July 2008, 12:24 AM
personally I wouldn't mind either or...I don't really know how video games work...but will a BRD release affect the 1080p at 60fps at all seeing that the game always has to refer back to reading info off the disc??? Dunno...

a hardcopy BRD realease would be nice ofr the cool manual, cover and artwork...

but a softcopy PSN release would also be cool keeping up with the whole future of digital content distribution, plus, I can just turn the PS3 on and start playing immediately without having to insert the disc which means I don't need to rely on the laser...

if SL were to go along a similar path that Warhawk took, and release on both fronts...I would get both...:) digital content for purely play...and hardcopy content to collect...:)

Yagya
30th July 2008, 12:54 AM
they could have the blu-ray disc just "burn" it onto the ps3 harddrive if reading a disc would factor into the fps.

you get the game running smooth, and a cool case with all teh goodies.

i don't think it being on a disc would affect the fps at all though.

KIGO1987
30th July 2008, 01:46 AM
With BRD would be a good idea, as i suggested on another thread. If the game is released on a format which every single person has access to, then the game would sell alot more.

I had the choice with another small sized game 'Gran Turismo 5 Prologue', of either BR (BluRay) or DD (Download Data), i would choose the BR again. Its just piece of mind knowing you got the hard copy incase the PS3 HDD where every to corrupt itself (Plus the box with all the artwork and fan fiction in it also). Maybe this is another cause by the many months of delay of the release of HD.

Norfolk'n'Clue
30th July 2008, 10:11 AM
Would kind of make sense for a BRD release now that there will be split screen local racing.

xtriko
30th July 2008, 11:56 AM
Wipeout HD BRD would be great.

Rapier Racer
30th July 2008, 02:16 PM
Personally I just want the damn game and I'll take it in any form Sony want to deliver it to me in. For the good of the game though I'd say a Blu Ray release would be wiser, PSN only games alienate a lot of users.

I hope Sony are not thinking along the lines of "If this sells well we'll do one on a disk" I'm pretty sure theres a fair size audience they are excluding here with this download only stuff.

Wip3ou7
1st August 2008, 09:33 PM
if the game comes out on BRD than that means that there will be a WipEout HD Platinum Trophy.... PSN games are not allowed to have Platinum Trophies.

Sugar_from_OTW
2nd August 2008, 05:10 AM
both, like gt prologue. Bluray would only make sense if the game had a lot of content.

zOMG, I'd buy a compilation disc (ie all the previous games), like tekken 5 had some of the old tekken games.

Darkdrium777
2nd August 2008, 06:41 AM
You would not be the only one to buy a compilation of Wipeout 1, XL (or 2097 depending on region), 3, 3SE (Europe only, sadly), Fusion (Would need to be made compatible through firmware update on 40 GBs), Pure (ported with all DLC) and Pulse (ported with all DLC)

Unfortunately, that compilation disc will come out when chickens have teeth. :blarg

Yagya
2nd August 2008, 09:18 AM
i'd like my compilation disc w/o fusion plz. Compilation discs to me mean "we can't make money with newer iterations because we've lost the magic of what we used to have, so play all these versions you remember as being awesome" but i don't see Wipeout games as that. they are still as good as XL and i have high hopes that that isn't going to change anytime soon. (see improvements after fusion)

Wip3ou7
2nd August 2008, 06:41 PM
I just want a Platinum wipeout trophy, it will be the centerpeice of my "HOME"

Rapier Racer
2nd August 2008, 06:47 PM
I read that PSN games don't have platinum trophies??

Wip3ou7
2nd August 2008, 07:40 PM
Look 6 posts up ^^

Rapier Racer
2nd August 2008, 08:34 PM
Oh yeah! Thats where I saw it! :lol

Asayyeah
3rd August 2008, 01:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Paradoxx
3rd August 2008, 02:32 PM
I'll play WOHD during several months, then I prefer to use my HDD instead of my BRD...

Mad-Ice
3rd August 2008, 08:01 PM
I prefer the BRD, just to have all the Wipeout versions next to each other on my bookshelf. It is just to make the collection complete!

Frances_Penfold
3rd August 2008, 09:27 PM
I would prefer the BRD because I don't trust DLC in general, and DLC + DRM in particular. It's too easy to imagine being shut out of one's 100% legit and purchased copy of WOHD (or any other digitally distributed piece of software or add-on content) because of hardware problems, pulling of software from the online distribution system, or digital rights managements SNAFUs.

Even in the recent history of Wipeout games-- the DLC for Wipeout Pure was pulled from official channels fairly early on-- but how much could it possibly cost to host those files for user download? And for Wipeout Pulse, the DLC was never released in North America, and there have been assorted problems for Europeans in getting access to their legitimately purchased DLC. Craziness.

I like the convenience of digital distribution, and the potential for digitally-distributed software to have a longer "shelf-life" than software distributed by brick/mortar stores. And I favor any mechanism that allows software to break from the stupid holiday retail schedule that so strongly dictates game release dates. But I really worry about purchasing ENTIRE GAMES as digital distribution when one wants the game to be a permanent part of their collection. Smaller games, cell phone games, adventure games that one plays only once-- that doesn't worry me so much :)

Edit-- release of Wipeout HD on both BRD and as DLC would be perfect-- or else allowing BRD versions to be fully installed on the PS3 hard-drive. Best of both worlds :)

Darkdrium777
3rd August 2008, 10:36 PM
Do it like Warhawk. That's fine for me. :)

DawnFireDragoon
4th August 2008, 11:19 AM
agreed, warhawk approach is the best idea.

Wip3ou7
4th August 2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah they should sell a boxed copy with a revised neGcon style controller ;)

Linchpin
5th August 2008, 10:21 AM
I would love a boxed version .
Would save me going through the painfull download times or download failures with our terrible South African internet .
Any internet things locally is fast , but our international bandwidth is incredibly slow and expensive .

Fiznu
5th August 2008, 08:14 PM
I PREFER Dowloadable games for one BIG reason: I don't have to get my lazy butt off the couch to change games! I can download my favorite games to my hard drive, any time I want to play, I simply turn on the PS3, go into the menu and select what I want. No more digging through a pile of loose (scratched) discs to find the one I want, no more unplayable discs, no danger of loss or theft!

Its also nice that Sony keeps track of all of my downloaded content. If I delete the game for space reasons, I can always just log back on and download it again...no sweat!

To date I have only purchased THREE current gen games: Halo 3(Xbox of course), GTA 4 (Xbox version), and Soul Calibur 4 (PS3 version). I have spent WAYYYY more cash on XBLA and PSN games, simply for the convienence and of course, the lower price points! :)

Selling my used games has never been an issue as I generally find the credit that GameNazi gives for used games is not worth the effort of hauling them to the store.

RJ O'Connell
5th August 2008, 08:20 PM
They should at least have a paper instruction manual for sale. Though I do like the digital download format provided Sony doesn't go apeshit with DRM "protection".

Frances_Penfold
5th August 2008, 10:00 PM
Its also nice that Sony keeps track of all of my downloaded content. If I delete the game for space reasons, I can always just log back on and download it again...no sweat!

So what happens if your PS3 dies? Or if you need to change your PSN account for some reason? I know the for the Wii, you will in general loose all of your DLC if your console dies, unless you make special arrangements with Nintendo to have your console repaired and restored with the DLC that you had previously.

But hey, that's Nintendo, hopefully Sony's rules are more generous in this regard :)

Rapier Racer
5th August 2008, 10:04 PM
Backup the stuff on your PS3 hard drive to your PC, alternatively if it dies and you haven't done so you could always take the drive out, oooor you can download your game again, free of charge. Change your PSN account? Well why..

No need to panic really.

Darkdrium777
5th August 2008, 10:58 PM
Just to reassure all of you:

You can login back into your PSN account and re-download most of your DLC an infinite number of times on up to five different PS3 systems.

Why do I say: <most> ? Because that's not the case for Warhawk.

Frances_Penfold
5th August 2008, 11:50 PM
So you can freely backup the PS3's content to a HD? That's cool! Does a repaired PS3 still harbor the same "identity" as an old one, so that you can then reinstall it without it using one of the five unique PS3 install opportunities?

How does Warhawk work differently than other DLC?

JABBERJAW
6th August 2008, 12:23 AM
I say BRD, how can you trust downloading it after all of the problems with pulse, even when you paid for it, the download packs were a Huge problem, and we haven't even gotten the packs yet

Darkdrium777
6th August 2008, 03:35 AM
Your games can be backed up to an external HDD, even Warhawk, and will be restored onto your new system.

However, if you don't back up Warhawk (Or other games that work like it, I don't know any though), you will not be able to redownload it on the new system, as it is tied to the hardware and to the account it is downloaded from and on to (i.e., you can't play with another PSN account than the owner, and a new PS3 will not be able to DL Warhawk from that account).

And a new PS3 has a new "identity" if you don't restore the backed up content. I don't know when you do restore it though.

Frances_Penfold
6th August 2008, 04:12 AM
That's a pretty even-handed approach by Sony with DRM.

I still think that it will always be preferable to have a physical game copy though. I mean, people are still playing (and setting records for) the original Wipeout on original PS1 hardware. I remain skeptical that will be possible with a DL only version of Wipeout on the PS3.

Norfolk'n'Clue
6th August 2008, 09:40 AM
I think you'd have problems taking the the hard disk and copying the data - the PS3 encrypts it and has a key known only to itself iirc. Best to back it up before it fails.

blackwiggle
11th August 2008, 05:03 AM
I'd like a disc version for the main reason being that I could easily take it to another PS3 owner who might be totally oblivious to the WO games [Hard to imagine I know,but their are a few out there]Trigger happy mutant shooters would be my first port of call....and there are heaps of them.:)

HydrogLox
15th September 2008, 04:29 PM
I think that a "Greatest Hits - Special Edition" is Wipeout HD's best chance at a blue-ray release. Currently 500000 units in 11 months is the milestone for a disk-based PS3 title to become a (voluntary) "Greatest Hits" release. With those kind of sales numbers development of additional DLC would be attractive and that DLC could be included in a later disk-based release. As an additional enticement Sony could throw in the PSOne Wipeout versions (Wipeout 3 Special Edition would be nice). However it may take 24 months for such an edition to appear as Sony wouldn't want to release it until DLC sales start flagging. Lets face it, the target audience of such a release wouldn't be the new Wipeout Player but the fan who already owns most/all of the previous Wipeout versions on disk (like yet another Collector's Edition of your favorite movie that the studio releases to squeeze another buck out of you).

So with that in mind everybody better encourage lots of download purchases of Wipeout HD and any potential future DLC in the coming months - anybody simply waiting for "the BR release" may at best be waiting for a long time, at worst actually reduce Wipeout HD's chances of getting a BR release.

lunar
16th June 2009, 04:37 PM
Pain is coming to Blu Ray - could the same happen with other PSN games like Wipeout HD?

Read the answer to the first comment on this Playstation Blog post....

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/06/16/pain-on-blu-ray-disk/#comments

could be a bit of a clue there, or a mistake but we shall see.... :)

Amorbis
16th June 2009, 04:43 PM
Pain isn't the only PSN title to be getting the Blu-Ray treatment, The Last Guy is going to BD in Japan with all the extra content (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/05/15/the-last-guy-not-on-his-last-mission-dlc-trophies-and-blu-ray-hi/), but that news is quite old now.

I'm guessing if it does come out it'll be after Fury with the Fury content and sold as 'WipEout HD Fury'. I'd love to buy it if it did come out, for collection purposes, but I'd have to pass on it for now. My download version would be fine until the rumoured BD version is £4.99 :lol.

Rapier Racer
16th June 2009, 04:45 PM
Ohhh it's coming out on disk eh.. sweet. :nod

Darkdrium777
16th June 2009, 04:51 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8624/24995697.jpg

No, seriously. What!
Pain is on BRD, but not WipEout HD. (Not yet anyways)
WHAT!

You know, I talked about it here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6233) (Last paragraph of the first post). How come PAIN gets more talk than WipEout HD, when WipEout HD is very much a lot better?
Ugh. :blarg

And also: who's taking bets as to whether an eventual release of WOHD on BRD is Europe only? :/
Is there someone at Sony marketing with half of a working brain?

Spece2goin
16th June 2009, 06:02 PM
how much would you pay for Wipeout HD on BRD?

don't forget distributors margins, BR cost, royalties to sony for BR technology
and WO:HD will cost 40€ like GT5 prologue...

Darkdrium777
16th June 2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, doesn't matter. 40$ with 12 two way tracks, online gameplay, racebox, soundtrack customization and etc is what I payed for Pulse. If Fury is included on that BRD, you get the same number of things as with Pulse for the same price (And even a little more with new game modes from Fury, and new ships, and new zone exclusive tracks).

Spece2goin
16th June 2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, doesn't matter. 40$ with 12 two way tracks, online gameplay, racebox, soundtrack customization and etc is what I payed for Pulse. If Fury is included on that BRD, you get the same number of things as with Pulse for the same price (And even a little more with new game modes from Fury, and new ships, and new zone exclusive tracks).

i was talking about HD only, for sure, i think it becomes interesting with Fury included!

ProblemSolver
16th June 2009, 07:02 PM
@lunar: Nice find!

Posted on June 16th, 2009 at 2:20 pm by Joey Payne
Hi ImperatorA3,
Sorry I don’t have a date for you on this yet but I’m sure there will be a
blog update from the WipEout Product Manager very soon

[Ref (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/06/16/pain-on-blu-ray-disk/#comment-6075)]

WipEout HD Fury (including the content of WipEout HD, or vice versa) comes
out on blu-ray disc (BD, not BRD). Not? Anyways, I would pay 59 EUR for all
teh sh!t.

"very soon"? I guess Fury is ready and due for release within the next
two weeks? C'mon, bring it on!

@Darkdrium777: I was thinking the same. Holy, wtf is going on here? lol

RedScar
16th June 2009, 09:26 PM
No BRD for me. I'm not a huge fan of download able only games but I think Wipeout HD is the perfect title for it. It keeps the price down, not that I wasn't willing to pay more for HD but the $20 tag definatly makes it more attractive. I don't have to wait for the store to get it in stock since I have the bad luck of always trying to buy a game on backorder. That along with SL extensive delay on new content (no offense SL) not to mention, producing the discs, shipping, then selling takes time. The box art and manual are a bit of a hit to take in the process, but I've never bought a game for the manual or artwork.

Download able games and DLC are the future of this industry, even if the current methods that developers and publisher of releasing half finished game and making u pay for the rest of the content through "DLC" is BS. The success of Steam shows what the proper execution of a game DL service can do. If sony, MS, and Nintendo could emulated steam then we could get rid of stupid stores like EB that mark up the price of games.

My 2 cents

ProblemSolver
16th June 2009, 10:39 PM
@RedScar: True. It will be that way in the future (next-gen). But your
arguments on the price is only valid atm because the price will climb at the
same height as of today once DL service is common place and (retail) discs
are obsolete. Don't you think? ;) Here is my take (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127113&postcount=722) on a retail version.

Lance
16th June 2009, 10:54 PM
Is there someone at Sony marketing with half of a working brain?

Yes.

`

Darkdrium777
16th June 2009, 10:59 PM
Not for WipEout there isn't. D:

Lance
16th June 2009, 11:11 PM
Exactly half.

Darkdrium777
16th June 2009, 11:32 PM
Ohh I get it now :lol
Well played :clap

RedScar
17th June 2009, 02:54 AM
@problemsolver
It makes sense, I rarly prefer to buy DL vs hardcopy. I have only bought two games through DLC, BF2: Armoured Fury (irony lol) and WOHD. That said your post is looking what I believe is WAY down the road. Sony still has a lot of fleshing out for the PS3 in my mind. That said I don't wanna see my downloaded games disappear (which happened to my copy of BF2:AF) when sony/whoever drops their support. Its a complicated issue that can change siginficantly depending on how sony deals with PSN in the future. My main issue with WOHD coming out on BRD is that I've already paided for it, and unless I get some sorta coupon that gives me a disc free, don't wanna have to pay for it again.

Sch@dows
17th June 2009, 07:17 AM
Personnally, I don't care about a BRD release unless it is a collector one (with artworks [not CG!!!!], models, or making of). The game is small, and a BRD release could mean a high price, but I admit it would probably bring more people in the game.
The downloadable version has the advantage to be on the HDD all the time, and could be launched whenever I want. But on the other side, it can't be sold as used, you have to create your PSN account on your friends' PS3 and wait for the download to finish in order to play with him (but once it is done, you can come back and play righ away).

Eventually, I don't see how a BRD release would affect the framerate since the data are loaded before the race start, and it the game could be installed on the HDD.