PDA

View Full Version : reverse quake

leungbok
21st July 2008, 04:54 PM
first of all, hi to everybody,
This is my first post here:D .Excuse me for my awfull english.
3 or 4 days ago in an online race, i was the last behind 2 guys in phantom event (i consider myself a rapier pilot at this time) and i receive 2 quake coming from above. I first thought i was mistaking and the quake was coming from my back but when the second one hitted me i was in a long straight line and i see the quake from far. It was coming from above !!:eek
Off course i tried offline to reproduce this action (in wo fusion we can launch missiles and rockets backwards using the look back + the weapon, and maybe in wip3out i don't remember well) but i can't reproduce it ( it happens one other time 1 day after in an other online race).
Did someone know this stuff ? is it possible, and what's the method ? Was it a cheat:pirate or what ?

Otherwise, i want to thanks kanar, figo1987, mad ice , ansagani, micky1984, triangul-r and a few more i forgot for the good races we fought. I was not a match for some pilots but they stay a little for my "lesson" . Thanx

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2008, 05:06 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums :)

No trick to it really, just turn your craft round and shoot. :P Can't recommend it as a good combat option though, even in an AG Systems it takes ages to do a 180.

GalacticSpartan
21st July 2008, 06:07 PM
Never saw that before XD;. Yeah someone had turn around and fire the quake forward at cha XD a good trick if your 1st and far from the pack.

Rapier Racer
21st July 2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah not recommended for Pulse since the weapons give a lot of energy back plus ships recover faster.

Do it in Pure though, way more chance of killing the rest of the field with one :P

leungbok
21st July 2008, 07:44 PM
AH, okay !! I thought about something like that. So you need a huge advance to use it.
Thanks for the answer.

KIGO1987
21st July 2008, 09:40 PM
I remember you. I was looking for your name on the members list here, and i couldnt find it. But i discovered your a new member here. Welcome to WipeoutZone by the way.

Did quite a few Rapier races with you on the weekend. You got some wins off me, very skilled pilot you are. I also noticed that your world ranking jumped from 95th to 80th on wipeout-game.com. The more wins you get from higher rankings pilots, higher your ranking will become.

Also reverse quakes. They where me. I turned EGX around on Talons Junction and lunched it, did it on Basilico also. Got an online elimination out of that one on Basilico. This happened to me a while back, i thought it was a cheat also, untill Insertcoin said it what some enoying pilots do to show off. I decided to give this a try online for the first time and it worked.

But hey good online races we had, more to come. See you online again soon.

leungbok
22nd July 2008, 09:48 AM
HI Kigo,

Thank you for the welcome.I waited till this time to join the forum because i was not sure to have so many time to go in (too much work), but i definitely love pulse (and other wos) and it's so great to talk with others pilots. Even those who leave me behind with 10 s:pirate .
I race in pulse since one month and a half, i don't know very well all the tracks (need a lot of practice on outpost), but i begin to understand a few things on arc de white, amphiseum and vertica.
I hope i'll be soon an interesting challenger to you.
Thank you too for the reverse quake:twisted. I try it myself yesterday evening and was smiling thinking at the face of the pilots behind seeing a big wall coming fast to their ships (sorry ansagani).

Hope to see you soon on other exciting races online:)

I try to race several days of the week on the evening from 9/10 to 12/1.

KIGO1987
23rd July 2008, 08:33 AM
Oh ****

I think i started an epidemic here. Reverse Quakes for all:twisted

Have your sheilds ready novice pilots.

eLhabib
23rd July 2008, 09:36 AM
Don't mean to crush your pioneer spirit here, but someone by the name of 'zargz' actually deserves the fame of having pioneered the reverse quake ;) do some research on the site - it's been here for years!

mdhay
23rd July 2008, 10:06 AM
He's disappeared though. T-T

Come Back!!!

stin
23rd July 2008, 10:51 AM
Don't mean to crush your pioneer spirit here, but someone by the name of 'zargz' actually deserves the fame of having pioneered the reverse quake ;) do some research on the site - it's been here for years!

Yeah, me!:evil, you can watch through youtube, he was staying here at my house years ago.
It`s actually Wipeout3 SE ;)

stevie:)

eLhabib
23rd July 2008, 10:53 AM
hahaha sorry stevie, I knew it happened during your w3oSE sessions with zargz, didn't know which of you was first ;)

Asayyeah
23rd July 2008, 02:02 PM
I also remember very well that 1st BQ i did to you, Martin (El) on Blue Ridge, 2 years and half ago :paperbag. It's like with a girl : you never forget the 1st time :g

Martin (Mdhay) : Pavel is now back in Thaïland and not easy for him to speak here

leungbok : Welcome aboard , fellow citizen, always a pleasure to meet a new frenchie :)
See ya online mate

leungbok
23rd July 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks,

Yes, we'll meet online soon.:banzai
My first goal : finish the races against you, hardcore pilots ;)

eLhabib
23rd July 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah I remember that, Arnaud! I was pretty much top of the pops on xLink Kai until you came and raped my little Assegai on my very favorite track, BlueRidge ;)
aaaah, good times *sigh*

lunar
23rd July 2008, 07:05 PM
Good times indeed - I remember it all... the sweet victories, the bitter defeats...... ;)

But great news that you will be racing us on the PSN, Arnaud, I knew you couldn`t resist. :D

micky1984
23rd July 2008, 08:31 PM
hi and welcome. was good racing wiv u. its always refreshing racing a new pilot and will hopefully race u soon :) i would also like to say iv never back quaked. so i wasnt the evil git who got you lol

Mad-Ice
24th July 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi there leungbok,

Yeah I remember you, the one and only time I raced you, I noticed you, a new player online and pretty skilled! Very good, we will see more of you on the track. Welcome in the zone and enjoy your time here.

Greetz Mad-Ice

xtriko
24th July 2008, 11:16 PM
talking about zargz... well, in my opinion, all we have killed someone with a reverse quake, or at least damaged someone. BUT!!! zargz is in another level! i saw on youtube, the most evil technique ever done in wipeout! REVERSE PLASMA!!! On talons reach. WO3 SE. worst... Splitscreen... zargz... you are THE man ;)

leungbok
26th July 2008, 08:32 AM
Hey, sorry Mad-Ice, i had connexion problems yesterday:evil
I went for a while, just the time micky1984 and Karmaneo kicked my ass in many phantom races (i was out of concentration and made lot of piloting errors, aaaargl:mad:)
I 'll better next time, maybe tonight.

Nadia Elenova
26th July 2008, 08:44 AM
Men, you are all the same. Always thinking you're the first ones. :P
I first used a reverse plasma on 2097, Gare d'Europe (you do know in which section, do you? :nod)
In eliminator mode, reversing weapons comes out without even thinking.
Want to do something new? reverse a turbo! :)

micky1984
26th July 2008, 08:55 AM
woops :) that was a good session tho leungbok was tempted to do a few back quakes myself due to this topic. but dont think i could handle the guilt (is it just me who over empathizes with other racers. to the extent where i dont drop bombs if im to far ahead?) :? anyway your pretty good specialy on talons junction. oh and cheers for putting up with my repeated races on arc prime white. i need the practice on that track :rolleyes:

rdmx
26th July 2008, 11:01 AM
A plague has been unleashed! Quick! All men to battle stations!

Yagya
28th July 2008, 05:57 PM
hey leungbok. i raced you a couple days ago and you pulled the reverse quake on me. LOL. you were the first person for me to race online.

i went out and bought a psp just for this game (first post spiel) and so far i'm hooked like a ho on crack cocaine! i pulled off the reverse quake on my friend when we played locally (i found out about it before the leungbok "race" from gamefaqs).

i look forward to racing you again leungbok... and hopefully i'll be able to keep up so you won't have a chance to reverse quake. :beer

Flashback Jack
28th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Triple Lei's backquake cancer appears to be spreading nicely. As far as I'm aware, he's the only one that does it in what remains of the online Pulse community.

One would think a person would experiment with the tricks when there's little left for him to accomplish in a game, but it appears the priority lesson for the people these days are tricks first, game second; the basic nuisance actions designed for maximum annoyance and little else.

Backquakes, cool for all of five minutes, have the net effect of sending ego ripples out across the universe. I, not even a participant in some of these races, hear stories about backquakes this or that, usually by people incapable of cracking the top three on the various record tables.

I've done backquakes myself, but they get boring rather quickly, as is expected from your average toy of an object. I rarely if ever do them these days because they're an overall waste of time (and in a lot of cases, wins).

- F

Yagya
28th July 2008, 07:05 PM
i agree. they are just an ego quake. i only did it on my friend to show him that it's possible. i'm not a fan of stopping. turning around. firing a quake then racing off, but some people feel like their e-peen grows a little bit larger if the competition can't keep up enough to give them room to stop and shoot one back.

leungbok
28th July 2008, 09:06 PM
One would think a person would experiment with the tricks when there's little left for him to accomplish in a game, but it appears the priority lesson for the people these days are tricks first, game second; the basic nuisance actions designed for maximum annoyance and little else.

Backquakes, cool for all of five minutes, have the net effect of sending ego ripples out across the universe. I, not even a participant in some of these races, hear stories about backquakes this or that, usually by people incapable of cracking the top three on the various record tables.

I've done backquakes myself, but they get boring rather quickly, as is expected from your average toy of an object. I rarely if ever do them these days because they're an overall waste of time (and in a lot of cases, wins).

- F
Hi, Yagya. And sorry for the quake.;) I used it 4 of 5 times and i agree with Flashback Jack it becomes boring after a time and i'll stop using it. I want to reassure him i used it only with good an aggressive pilots able to beat me (it's sort of motivation:g) and never against begginers. Me to, i prefer the gaming and disputed races with good and speed fighters but sometimes i participate in races with begginers in flash and venom speed, i won sometimes with 10 or more seconds left (like top racers as James-sp, kandang... did to me) and i wonder how the guys feel after such an experience on pulse online. Did it motivate or disgust them ?:? I never quitted a race because a guy was 10 or more second in front, this is clear that on the net you play with pilots from the wide world, of course, some are incredibly skilled and i always considered as an honor (and précious lessons:)) to race with these guys. I always race at 100% with my real level whoever are the opponents (new players or confirmed pros) with some victorys and huge defeats, it' a question of respect. maybe it's due to my lacks in english but i feel a sort of critisizm from FJ:?. I wanted to reassure him and clarify what is my spirit when i play online and if i used backquakes it was not a question of ego but because i found that fun.

So, Yagya, see soon online, i hope. I 'll have no chance for backquakes, but i can be vicious with bomb's and missiles, you know:g

KIGO1987
29th July 2008, 02:09 AM
Triple Lei's backquake cancer appears to be spreading nicely. As far as I'm aware, he's the only one that does it in what remains of the online Pulse community.

Indeed, his actions in Talons Junction White many months ago was responsble for me asking a question on one of these threads 'is this guy cheating?' then Insertcoin told me the truth of the Reverse Quake. Followed by my inventive nature of trying it out in a race that Leungbok was in. Hence now he ask the same question on this thread. And the cancer spreads to newer pilots.:brickwallTriple Lei needs to be quarantined before there are anymore victims of the fallout of reverse weapons of any kind.:brickwall:lol

Myself, i gave this a try because ive never tried it before. I prefer to do online races with packetmon and Stevie in rapier phantom races instead if pissing off novice pilots in the Wipeout Online stage.

leungbok
29th July 2008, 10:03 AM
This backquake story seems to have created controversy:?

Hey, by the way, what if you use a quake against a backquake ?? you create a huge hole in the track ? you create a bug in the matrix ?:g

Hey Kigo, when will we have races good races in rapier phantom ? Because i was very frustrated last time:).

Rapier Racer
29th July 2008, 11:42 AM
Backquake controversy?? LOL The backqauke move is such old news. I say if you get far enough ahead to do one and want to do it then why not? It's not the leaders fault the next guy is 6 seconds behind if you don't like being backquaked then learn to be faster.

Further more for the records, its not all about an ego trip, some people just like destroying other ships.

rdmx
29th July 2008, 01:09 PM
Mmm - I think my comment was taken out of context - I said in Pulse, the BQ is less useful than in Pure because of the speed in which you re-accelerate after being quaked, plus the ease of absorbing back the damge would boost ego more than anything.

Whereas in Pure, it took significantly longer to reabsorb the damage from the quake, plus your craft accelerated like a barge - therefore being worth the time lost. A technique that would work in Pure but probably not Pulse is if the opponent is on your tail, slam on the brakes, wait for them to pass then let the quake loose.

KIGO1987
29th July 2008, 01:16 PM
Words of advice from the Worlds highest ranking Wipeout pilots on the matter of reverse weapons:

Flashback: Dont be a cocky bastard to novice Wipeout Pilots, be nice:D
Rapier: If your slow, then you deserve to be hit by a reverse quake:eek

Many differents points of views here:blarg Hey Rapier, Mr Frenchman 'ExpitariuS' has taken your No.1 position off the wipeout-game world rankings table, are you going to do anything about it?:g Why are there so many highly skilled French Wipeout pilots out there? Do you guys practice phantom speeds in Berlingo's or something?:D

Speaking about the french, yeah Leungbok will be good to race you again very soon:D Ill give you and packetmon and the others a heads up on the 'Online meetings thread':D

Asayyeah
29th July 2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Rapier, Mr Frenchman 'ExpitariuS' has taken your No.1 position off the wipeout-game world rankings table, are you going to do anything about it?:g
Other frenchies did !!!! at our Normandie Convention last weekend where Expitarius finished 4th on the Pulse tourney :D beaten by Kaori, Del Stepho and a guy called ASA :pc

Rapier Racer
29th July 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm going to do nothing about it, the way the game calculates and gives out points for that ranked board is total nonsense.

I would get more points for thrashing a couple of new guys than I would for totally flying my ship off and say claiming a victory over Arnaud.

Therefore I am being rewarded with lots of points for races that require next to no skill, whereas the harder races a win gets you virtually nothing.

How does this prove how good a pilot is? It doesn't the entire table needs a big VOID stamp over it.

Asayyeah
30th July 2008, 01:24 PM
Agreed 100% Stephen

The best way, imnhfo, is racing against your friends in an ad hoc tourney : reducing slowdowns to its minimum, feeling the tension into the eyes of your opponents and of course everyone with the same standart of racing.

Mad-Ice
3rd August 2008, 08:09 PM
RR you always have your own special way of saying things! This one I really like! Amen to that!

Rapier Racer
5th August 2008, 10:15 PM
I do? lol oh..

Scruffem
11th January 2009, 12:20 AM
I just got really lucky in a 1v1 race on Metropia Black. The race was nearly over and I had a few seconds on the guy and I had a quake, so I thought,"Why not?". I spun around and fired the quake and then crossed the finish line in first, to hear "Contender Eliminated" a moment later. I was a wee bit ecstatic with the news of a successful reverse quake. :D

Echthroi
17th February 2009, 02:03 PM
No trick to it really, just turn your craft round and shoot. :P Can't recommend it as a good combat option though, even in an AG Systems it takes ages to do a 180.

hahahahah. Ohhh that's a cruel move. I bet I could pull that off though with Qirex just for kicks. xD

Echthroi
22nd February 2009, 01:52 AM
Rapier: If your slow, then you deserve to be hit by a reverse quake:eek

I totally agree with this. Some guy (his name was dishevelled or something) was like 13 seconds or so behind me. It was on Phantom and on Moa Therma White. Seriously, there is NO REASON to be that far behind on that track because it's so simplistic, and when there's only two people playing(one didnt finish and quit early).

So I turned around(and he wasn't in my sight at all.) and hit him.
Then I proceeded to do it again. Since by the 5th lap. It's over anyways. So I turned around again(on the same turn!)and shot another one. Which killed him.

Basically, if someone has enough time to turn around and hit you...You need to practice more.

archman
22nd February 2009, 01:59 AM
You need to find some good spots in a tracks (some heavy curves) which will get you back fast into the racing line.
e.g.: the one on moa therma blk, on the beginning ;)

Haxorger
23rd February 2009, 06:31 PM
ye no trick to that. its just someone being a jerk to rub in the fact that ur in last. infaxsu does it to me all da time lol. i beat him once. maybe that will teach him to stop hittin me with his quakes. btw WELCOME

Darkdrium777
24th February 2009, 03:24 AM
Reverse quakes are fun when done between friends, but I wouldn't go ahead and do one against a poor guy I don't know who's lagging behind me. It will just discourage him from playing the game. :(

Anyways, each has his or her opinion, right?

archman
24th February 2009, 04:37 AM
infaxsu's heavy backquaking lead me to the mass improvement of my skills, because I was pushing it just to compete against the one that was backquaking me and to show 'em it's not "fun" anymore. ;)
Yes, darkdrium :)
Btw.: I backquake some guys when they're 5+ secs behind (XD) or more, sure. But it happens rarely nowadays. :)

KIGO1987
24th February 2009, 09:09 AM
Reverse quakes are fun when done between friends, but I wouldn't go ahead and do one against a poor guy I don't know who's lagging behind me. It will just discourage him from playing the game. :(

Anyways, each has his or her opinion, right?

Yes. You gotta show respect to the newbies.

infaxsu's heavy backquaking lead me to the mass improvement of my skills, because I was pushing it just to compete against the one that was backquaking me and to show 'em it's not "fun" anymore. ;)
Yes, darkdrium :)
Btw.: I backquake some guys when they're 5+ secs behind (XD) or more, sure. But it happens rarely nowadays. :)

Infaxsu's heavy backwards quaking is leading to mass evacuations on the Pulse servers:bat. Infaxsu get onto HD, all your old Pulse friends are waiting there:twisted

KGB
24th February 2009, 09:31 AM
I don't play Pulse online much as it is empty normally and i am not very good, but i played Infaxsu the other day and he hit me with a backwards quake. That is just taking the piss really, i was already 10 seconds behind him. What was the point. He plays like he posts.

Beat him on Moa Therma though, he wasn't expecting that.:lol

INFAXSU
24th February 2009, 01:00 PM
If not for the Backquake which is exclusive to Pulse, I'd be riding my ATV on PURE (Xbox 360) full time. I love experimenting with backquakes, particularly 180s in mid-air off the drop at Amphiseum White! :cowboy (3 second lead works best), and 360 backquakes off the drop @ Tech De Ra White.

- INFAX

Haxorger
24th February 2009, 02:33 PM
If not for the Backquake which is exclusive to Pulse, I'd be riding my ATV on PURE (Xbox 360) full time. I love experimenting with backquakes, particularly 180s in mid-air off the drop at Amphiseum White! :cowboy (3 second lead works best), and 360 backquakes off the drop @ Tech De Ra White.

- INFAX

i have to admit, infax helped me improve alot from his annoying reverse quakes. it kind of gives you that extra motivation to wanna get infront of the racers. thanks infax!

zargz
15th March 2009, 08:55 PM
For all the newer members - from the History of wipEout Archives comes the First Ever documented BQ :nod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P9ozHzqJfE&feature=channel_page

Darkdrium777
15th March 2009, 09:43 PM
Indeed zargz, great fun watching this video again :)

lunar
16th March 2009, 12:22 AM
Definitely, and I have always been impressed by the nonchalance of that reverse-plasma. It looks so easy and the timing is incredible. The original is the best ;)

eLhabib
16th March 2009, 12:28 AM
which reminds me: even though the good old BQ is gone from HD, backward plasma is still possible :twisted

Darkdrium777
16th March 2009, 04:36 AM
angryhabib is still angry. :P

lunar
16th March 2009, 10:56 AM
Yikes...... I had wrongly assumed because backquakes were gone that all reverse firing would be gone in HD..... these are worrying developments ;)

eLhabib
16th March 2009, 11:07 AM
Even so, the fact that a plasma isn't a definite kill anymore makes this maneuver a bit too risky for a serious race...

Echthroi
23rd March 2009, 07:50 AM
Well I suppose if you were in a race with more than like 3 people or so, then it might be more worth the shot. That's what causes the most damage--everyone else's fire obviously. So if you've got a pretty good lead, then I'd go for it.