11th August 2008, 08:42 PM
LOL!! Rep+ for that :lol

RJ O'Connell
11th August 2008, 10:05 PM
*golf clap for xEik*

But am I the only one that's thinking ahead of HD? ...:/

Lance
11th August 2008, 10:08 PM
Note to all concerned: I am less willing to forgive and forget than eLhabib.
Forgive, maybe; forget, no. It is my duty to remember.

RJ O'Connell
11th August 2008, 10:16 PM
I will say this: Colin Berry is not the only credible source when it comes to WipEout information. (what about Egg? ;))

I usually hold my tongue whenever someone here posts something I don't agree with, in large part because I don't always have the time to sit down and give a rational argument...but that's another story.

Grr. I wish I didn't invest in the Xbox 360 already...

DawnFireDragoon
11th August 2008, 11:36 PM
Grr. I wish I didn't invest in the Xbox 360 already...

why, sure the ps3 has potential and will be a solid system in maybe 1 or 2 years, but currently you can't go wrong with the 360. wipeout hd is literally the only thing on the horizon that interests me in the console right now, and if it shapes up to not be that great (hope not, of course!) then i probably wont bother with the ps3 at all.

Darkdrium777
12th August 2008, 02:23 AM
But your interests are personal and are not facts, so keep them for yourself. If someone wants to buy a PS3, the fact that nothing interests you on it has nothing to do with it. These people have all the right to like something you don't.

(A bit more direct is: don't post fanboy bait like that. I absolutely hate it when someone does it, because it degrades in flame wars pretty quickly. We don't need that here. It's also a known fact that it's generally nonsensical stuff.)

Lance
12th August 2008, 04:59 AM
I don't believe he suggested that it was a non-viable choice for all.

Since when have people not expressed their own gaming interests in these forums?

It is up to the administrator and the moderators to determine what will or will not be discussed and how. Leave the moderating to the mods.

----------
Some of the comments in this thread are way out of line with the spirit of friendly discussion. That must cease.

Consider that to be a warning.

Sumimasen
12th August 2008, 06:39 AM
In an effort to get a more... playful... tone back to the thread, consider this and answer with your wittiest comment:

You know when you've been waiting too long for WipEout HD when...

... you create your own theme tune that should be sung in the 'Stingray' style

WIPEOooooUT! ... HD!!! Duh nuh nur nur nur nur! WIPEOooooUT! HD Duh nuh nur nur nur nur! WIPE-OUT! WIPE-OUT! H! DDDDDDDDDDDD!

Yeah!

* Mental note to get out more often... *

It would obviously have been more on topic if I'd mentioned something about seizures, but I'll leave that to someone else... :D

taqili
12th August 2008, 07:16 AM
I already have been waiting too long for WOHD; when I run, I do it in 10 second speed increments until I run into something and then throw up.

cybrpnk
12th August 2008, 07:20 AM
i know i have waited too long when i have the wipeoutzone forums permanently opened everyday and check every second for any HD news...

sigh...

another day, another quiet day on the HD front...:(

eLhabib
12th August 2008, 09:35 AM
WIPEOooooUT! ... HD!!! Duh nuh nur nur nur nur! WIPEOooooUT! HD Duh nuh nur nur nur nur! WIPE-OUT! WIPE-OUT! H! DDDDDDDDDDDD!

Yeah!

* Mental note to get out more often... *

It would obviously have been more on topic if I'd mentioned something about seizures, but I'll leave that to someone else... :D

Well, you clearly just had a seizure by watching the 1080p trailer over and over and over again ;) WIPEOooooUT! HD! Duh nuh nur ...

DawnFireDragoon
12th August 2008, 09:54 AM
But your interests are personal and are not facts, so keep them for yourself. If someone wants to buy a PS3, the fact that nothing interests you on it has nothing to do with it. These people have all the right to like something you don't.

(A bit more direct is: don't post fanboy bait like that. I absolutely hate it when someone does it, because it degrades in flame wars pretty quickly. We don't need that here. It's also a known fact that it's generally nonsensical stuff.)

apologies, i actually assumed people here were above fanboy-ism.
i'm also sure it was clearly my personnal opinion that the ps3, currently lacks anything that interests ME, i even stated it will be an all-round awesome system at some point in the future. i'm a video game fanboy in general, i take no sides, i love sony, the previous 2 machines gave me brilliant games including the wipeout series we all love so much. but enough of that, off topic nonsense.

rdmx
12th August 2008, 09:55 AM
Better yet, let's have a wipeout hd theme song in the style of Daytona USA!
DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Let's go away! DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
WIPEOUT H-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Let's fly away!
Yes I'm feeling perfectly OK today. Why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkAVmBVmVE

Sumimasen
12th August 2008, 10:28 AM
Oh thanks for that! Now I feel the urge to get my Saturn out of the attic so I can play Daytona!

AND that theme tune is going to be stuck in my head for hours...

Also, I believe the first line goes "DAY-EEE-TONA! Let's go and RACE!"

G - A - M - E - O - V - E - R - Gameover - Gameover - Gameover - Gameover!

Right that's it - I'm getting sectioned! :blarg

swift killer
12th August 2008, 10:58 AM
The offtopicness here has far exceeded anything I have ever managed! Not to mention the i-needz-to-get-out-morez-isms :dizzy but, anyway, I think we have established that the 'failded epilipsy test' rumour is not necessarily true and that the delay is more to do with a cram of new content in the game.

rdmx
12th August 2008, 11:37 AM
Plus that sony rep's comment of 'it's a problem no other region has been able to solve' doesn't exactly lend itself to 'failed epilepsy test'.
I doubt they would delay a game just to put more features in - it sounds more like a 'oh, we'll stick some more features in while we try to fix whats wrong'.

Rapier Racer
12th August 2008, 11:46 AM
I was at Tiesto on Saturday night/Sunday morning, the guy next to me took what I think was an epileptic fit, he just stopped all of a sudden and stared forward at the lights then fell to the ground shaking. Scary stuff hard to believe a game could do that really

The lighting effects were really intense at some parts especially during the song Adagio for Strings, they made my right eye twitch which was a bit worrying! Dunno if it was epilepsy related theres no trace of it in my family.

Norfolk'n'Clue
12th August 2008, 01:00 PM
He was prolly thinking as he fell over, "maybe I shouldn't have that last tab after all".

Rapier Racer
12th August 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah lol I wondered if he was on something

swift killer
12th August 2008, 02:21 PM
No mistaking that Tiesto is a legend. SL please get him back for the HD soundtrack.

kit-yun
13th August 2008, 05:54 PM
good evening

the game is finished apparently, that seems serious. Would be necessary to accelerate the release ! grrrr
if it does not leave from here September, why await it...

http://www.ps3gen.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3207&Itemid=64

Darkdrium777
13th August 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry kit-yun but even though PS3Gen is a good site to get news about PS3 in French they still are not a credible source. The fact that they point back to PS3Fanboy as the source (Joystiq) and that PS3Fanboy never announced anything resembling what they say in that PS3Gen article means they just misunderstood something. The game isn't ready until an official announcement is made.

kit-yun
13th August 2008, 10:26 PM
there really no chance has so that it is finished? it is horrible to do that to us, it is never considering. Which suffering for the wipers.

thanks for your response.

eLhabib
14th August 2008, 07:11 AM
Don't trust an article that still has the screenshots from GC 2007 in it - simple.

Asayyeah
14th August 2008, 05:13 PM
spot on Martin !
+1
:)

Axel
14th August 2008, 05:50 PM
Until then, keep on playing pure guys!

swift killer
14th August 2008, 06:19 PM
Don't you mean pulse? ;)

kit-yun
14th August 2008, 06:52 PM
it's too hard to wait HD, just remake.... incredible. I hope a release in one month.

Axel
14th August 2008, 07:26 PM
I don't like Pulse :P

Wip3ou7
17th August 2008, 04:34 PM
Well I doubt it will be coming out this week since Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty is debuting and there's still hide nor hair of any wipeout hd news.

RJ O'Connell
17th August 2008, 10:40 PM
Certainly any hard news would shut up some people at other forums who think they know better.

Wip3ou7
18th August 2008, 03:17 AM
I always leave comments asking about wipeout hd on the official playstation blog, especially during the week end wrap up posts and such. I suggest you guys do the same, if enough people post in the comments for a single article asking about wipeout hd and especially if we all do it fast enough so that most of us are on page 1 of the comments, im SURE we'll get SOME kind of response... they always respond to comments on page one... again the site for that if you dont know is http://blog.us.playstation.com

Axel
18th August 2008, 02:06 PM
TBH I doubt they would know whats happening with that game. Just be patient guys and keep on playing pulse/pure :)

Darkdrium777
18th August 2008, 05:36 PM
All the answer's I've found that were left for these kinds of messages were "No comments" or "I don't know anything about that" etc. I don't think they'll respond just because we ask. They might not even have an answer to hide, the game is SCEE not SCEA.

RJ O'Connell
18th August 2008, 05:54 PM
But in my heart it will always be a Psygnosis game. *sighs* Ahh...Psygnosis.

GC'08 will be the moment of truth.

Wip3ou7
18th August 2008, 07:28 PM
Are you kidding? Someone from the PSB WILL know something. All of SONY's developers have access to the blog to read and post. Even third party dev's get to post and answer questions. I honestly think that they will give us some kind of response if they have an overwhelming request for one. When WipEout Pulse was on the horizon they had lots of blog posts about it. Paul Tweedle, the producer of WipEout Pulse was posting and answering questions, Grace Chen //senior manager of the PS store), Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations, Abigail Murphy // PR Manager, PLAYSTATION Network, Peter Dille // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PLAYSTATION Network.. These are all people who have made and responded to posts about WipEout before on the PSB and they still read and post regularly. THEY WILL ANSWER IF WE ASK. That's what it's there for. What do we have to lose? It couldnt hurt. At the very least they will know how much we want it!

Egg
18th August 2008, 07:37 PM
THEY WILL ANSWER IF WE ASK.
NO WE WON'T !

Seriously, we can only give details when we're given the OK. And we haven't.

Be patient, though ;)

RJ O'Connell
18th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Egg, how are things holding up at Studio Liverpool in general? Or is that information confidential until you get an OK from SCEE? ;) :g

Darkdrium777
18th August 2008, 07:49 PM
I think he was talking about the people on the PS-Blog.
If you were talking about the same people well I guess I made my request (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/17/playstation-around-the-web-what-we-read-12/comment-page-2/#comments) before I saw your post here.

Colin Berry
19th August 2008, 08:21 PM
Egg, how are things holding up at Studio Liverpool in general? Or is that information confidential until you get an OK from SCEE? ;) :g

In general ?
Well from my point of view, I'd say as good and positive as at anytime in the past 11 years (my anniversary last monday)

And Ibelieve something of HD will be shown at Leipzig, though I can not confirm for sure.

Rapier Racer
19th August 2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds good lets hope..

infoxicated
19th August 2008, 08:30 PM
Who'd have thought Clarko resigning would usher in such an era of contentment. ;)

kit-yun
19th August 2008, 09:04 PM
Colin Berry: hello, I admire you like all the studio liverpool since the first wipeout, the series for me exceeds the simple video game. For the faithful fan that I am, you cannot just say if the game is almost ready (gold)? that does not engage with nothing but I suffer you know. Thank you. (sorry for faults, i speak french it's not easy).

I do not think of having answer, but is necessary to try. in all logic, it must be almost finished if not that to think… I know that you are very busy.

Colin Berry
19th August 2008, 09:09 PM
I cant comment on HD at the moment I'm afraid, although like I said, I expect something at Leipzig

Who'd have thought Clarko resigning would usher in such an era of contentment. ;)

And you !
I get so much less earache each day :D

Lance
19th August 2008, 09:52 PM
}collapses in laughter{

RJ O'Connell
20th August 2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, you software developers and your silly antics. :g

Right now I wish I was a fly on a wall during one of those laid back days - wait, we were talking about something else in this thread. My bad!

swift killer
22nd August 2008, 09:21 AM
Don't you just love office politics! lol :g I'm guessing the 3 of you are on NDA (if thats what its called) its what Aston Martin have me on, im basically not allowed to tell anyone whats sitting in their wind tunnel at the moment (for those of you who follow motorsport ;)).

I just can't wait for HD, and I can't wait untill my PS3 comes back from repair! It has to be said the PS3 is problem prone.

Sumimasen
22nd August 2008, 11:16 AM
Really?!?

Mine has been ultra-reliable since I bought it over a year ago...

... but then it's hardly ever switched on...

mdhay
22nd August 2008, 01:31 PM
Don't I know it...

SK: Think about where you're keeping it and the conditions.

Axel
22nd August 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah my one is hardly turned on as well. Also I'm getting a Samsung 40" HD TV today so i uess I can finish GTA 4 in all the HD gloryness!!!

Wip3ou7
22nd August 2008, 02:53 PM
What would wipeout HD be without HDTV... it would just be WipEout?! Get out there and spend your money guys, once you go 1080p you will never be able to look at another TV again, trust me.

Rapier Racer
22nd August 2008, 03:27 PM
I use my PS3 quite a lot, problem prone? lol Launch day unit working fine.

Lance
22nd August 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't think I want to afford more than 720P resolution. Too many other demands on limited cash flow. And no room for a large tv.

Swift Killer, what tends to worry me about Aston-Martin is who sells the company and who buys it. Ford was good for them, in general, though I'd like to see them survive without sharing too much in design philosopy and components with another 'brand'.

Frances_Penfold
22nd August 2008, 05:26 PM
I have a fairly modest 480p LCD TV, I'm afraid-- I'd sure like to experience Wipeout HD at 1080p but that's not gonna happen for a while :(

I'm not sure I will bother going 720p as a stepping stone, since the movement of the market is clearly towards 1080p, and it's not THAT much more expensive to go the whole distance.

Bytehawk
22nd August 2008, 07:51 PM
sony released the leipzig trailer on psn
it's super sweet in 1080p !
can't wait for the game !

Frances_Penfold
11th September 2008, 08:47 PM
Anybody see this comparison of the old and new Zone modes?

Still not clear what the "technical problem" that delayed WOHD but one thing is for sure-- they really, really toned down the bright flashing lights and stuff-- consistent with the "failed the epilepsy test" theory.

http://www.video.dpadmagazine.com/2008/09/11/wipeout-hd-previewfinal-build-comparison/

I actually like the new version better-- I was kinda overwhelmed with the original one myself.

Sausehuhn
11th September 2008, 09:48 PM
Woha! Did you see that explosion at the end of the video :D

Paradoxx
11th September 2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, nice effect :).
(bye bye to the nice road-equalizer)

Darkdrium777
11th September 2008, 10:23 PM
I like the voice I heard 'Sub-Venom' ;)

Yeah some stuff was removed and it's obvious. Still, I like Zone a lot now as well :D

Wip3ou7
11th September 2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah the new zone explosion is awesome but OH MY GOD THEY NERFED THE EFFECTS... Not good. This displeases me greatly.

chrominance
11th September 2008, 11:58 PM
I just have one thing to say re: new Zone:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

*breathes in*

-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

eLhabib
12th September 2008, 09:13 AM
While I don't find the changes that bad (it's all about the flawless gameplay in Zone anyway, don't need distraction), I can't see how Sony are still denying the epilepsy test rumors. I wouldn't see any other reason for toning down the graphics in zone mode this much - I guess that proves the rumors true...

alka16r
12th September 2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry but the new zone mode is a real s**t.
Previous effects (equalizer) were simply revolutionary.

I'm really sad.

lunar
12th September 2008, 10:49 AM
About the Zone Mode, apart from the fact none us has actually seen the final build, well we still have 8 forward and reverse tracks, online play, online rankings, 12 teams, 1080P 60FPS, split screen multiplayer, custom soundtracks, trophies, photo mode and an entirely playable zone mode where the gameplay remains exactly the same and all for £11.99. Sorry if I missed anything. If anyone can appreciate seeing the beats of your soundtrack at zone 55 good luck to them. If this ruins the game for anyone, then it probably wasn`t for them in the first place. As for these videos.... somewhere on the internet someone will find a way to put a negative spin on everything for hits.

For whatever reason zone was changed, I`m sure if SL could have kept the original design they would have done, but they can`t, but we still have a great game at a great price and life goes on. :)

xtriko
12th September 2008, 11:31 AM
What you said Lunar is true, but, the old zone was pretty cool. and i'm not saying that reaching Zen would be easy to play. but it would be intersting. I'm kind of sad with new zone, but let's forget it and focus on the new extras ;)

Sumimasen
12th September 2008, 11:42 AM
Looking at that video it's hard to tell if the EQ effect has gone altogether or has been toned down a lot. While I thought it was a really (and I mean REALLY) cool effect, I thought it was maybe a little too 'In Yer Face'. I've watched that vid a few times now, and I think you can still see something going on down there on the track surface - I'm just not sure.

I suggest we wait for the final version playing on our lovely 1080p Samsung 37" HD TV before writing it off completely. :P

I also seem to remember someone saying that while the EQ stuff was gone from the billboards, it remained on the track. Could be wrong about that too though...

Bottom line - that video is not high enough quality to judge anything! Wait for the real deal.

eLhabib
12th September 2008, 11:55 AM
I have played what I believe to be the final build at the Sony Day in Salzburg, two days ago. What you don't see in the low-res comparison video is that the EQ on the track is still there, albeit heavily toned down. I would have preferred the original Zone mode, but as it stands, the final version is not bad by any means. Just not that spectacular.
I also had a brief chat with Clemens Wangerin (very nice lad, by the way), and we were playing the new splitscreen mode together (vertical split, 2 of 2 races won by me ;)). Split screen is very consistent 30 frames, didn't notice any chop or slowdown at all. However, when you go back to single player afterwards, it feels like a completely different game on 60 frames.
Oh and you are gonna be freaked out by the texturework once you see it on your PS3. None of the videos you have seen so far do this game any justice :mr-t

Side note: Asked about the release date, Clemens wouldn't answer. I then told him my money was on the 25th, and his response was 'I hope you did bet a lot of money then...'
Depending on wether he liked me or not, that might be your confirmation right there :P

Egg
12th September 2008, 12:10 PM
Sorry but the new zone mode is a real s**t.

... Unbelievable! Don't mince your words, then. Still, I suppose you can't please everyone. That said, if the omission of some flashing squares on the floor of a track ( as seen in magnificent interweb blurro-vision ) affects your purchasing decision, then so be it :)

Personally, I like the more subdued version. The older one was just a little too busy for me.

xtriko
12th September 2008, 12:10 PM
eLhabib... you beated the man twice... lol. are you expecting him to like you? just kidding ;) let's hope that 25th will end our long wait.

after seeing the video for the 2nd time, i realised that the floor of the track glows when the beat of the music kicks in. and when it glows you can see the eq on it very smooth. it's not flashy like the old way, but it's cool.

Axel
12th September 2008, 12:49 PM
Well the changes had to be made or this game would not be released. Think about that.... They had no choice so blame the regulators I say. TBH I think you will find me online more than on Zone :)

Sumimasen
12th September 2008, 01:57 PM
So that means I was right?!? Crikey!

Oh Egg, the visual style in the rest of HD looks super-stylish, so I trust that you've done the business with the new Zone mode too. If the EQ is still there but toned down, that sounds perfect to me. Zone is all about getting totally in sync with the craft and the track, and more subtle visuals would be preferable IMHO.

By the way, you don't need a new 3d modeller/illustrator do you? I'd love to work on your next project! ;) I have experience and credentials!!! ;);)

Sausehuhn
12th September 2008, 02:00 PM
He has!!

alka16r
12th September 2008, 02:01 PM
ok guys maybe my words were excessiv...of course i'll buy WO cause I'm crazy about it (ask my girlfriend...lol) it's just that i was vey disapointed cause the EQ effect was really genius.

@Egg : I did'nt wanted to underestimate the excellent work you've done,you do and hope you'll do (you and SL of course)

Alcachofa
12th September 2008, 03:14 PM
(sorry if it's a little off topic)

The older EQ looks cooler, but on a trailer. The whole visual style of Zone mode in the beta version was as gorgeous as overwhelming, i mean there is enough pressure like that when you're trying to set new zone records (i already imagine myself playing Zone with Underwolrd's "Tin there" :g) ! While this can look less eye candy, these changes might serve gameplay in the end IMO.

rushin
12th September 2008, 04:11 PM
it's nice to see them side by side, and of course that leaves a sad feeling seeing how trippy Zone was before.. but whats done is done, they didnt do it for fun just some stupid law in the nanny state(s) we live in. Was it just me or was the woooooooosh(tm) of color (or quake if you will) that happened going up a level also missing from the final build?

Still, it looks super awesome as a game, so not a word of complaining from me.

RJ O'Connell
12th September 2008, 04:47 PM
Personally having EQ bars EVERYWHERE was overkill, I'm satisifed knowing that it is the most visually dazzling version of Zone ever made. Granted, HD wins by default, but who cares? XD

Asayyeah
12th September 2008, 06:38 PM
What can we add more, Stephen ( Lunar) did resumed it perfectly , the 'plus' list is long for an incredible low price.

Guys , my heart is beating sooo fast Never been such excited since 2097

RJ O'Connell
12th September 2008, 08:14 PM
Of course I was this excited for Pulse. And we all know how that went. ;)

Axel
12th September 2008, 08:17 PM
Hahahaha well TBH this is the first console Wipeout in a very long while dude. with online multi player to boot, this is a big moment for all of us!!!

Now I just need to calm down and wait for a release date.

DjManiac21
12th September 2008, 09:39 PM
Hey guys!

After watching the video I still think Zone mode looks good :+

Though having the chance to change the display options would be great, I can understand why changes had to be made.

Sorry for not being active lately, but I'm checking the zone every time I get a chance :)

Axel
13th September 2008, 02:26 PM
This new zone mode looks very nice indeed. I must admit this one is better as there is less distractions. I just wished the equalizer on the track was a tad bigger.

infoxicated
13th September 2008, 03:59 PM
The way the ship crashes down onto the track from a couple of the jumps looks like Fusion.:blarg

Darkdrium777
13th September 2008, 04:18 PM
Rob: From what I've seen this only happens in Zone. Watch the four CVG videos (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=197064) and you will see that only Zone has that 'feature'.

infoxicated
13th September 2008, 04:26 PM
So it does.

Seems that regular races still have that ridiculous speed pad boost and the migraine screen effect, though.

It's cool, I can hold out until they do it on PS4. :)

eLhabib
13th September 2008, 05:02 PM
Soon become weak, and eventually give in, you will. ;)

-Why is there no Yoda smilie?

infoxicated
13th September 2008, 05:16 PM
Because **** stick he is.

eLhabib
13th September 2008, 05:39 PM
Shut the **** up you must! ;)

But back on topic: is your hate for HD so profound that there is no chance we'll see you online?

infoxicated
13th September 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't hate it, I just dislike the direction the series has taken and if I buy WipEout HD I'd be putting up my hand and voting for barrel rolls and all the other schtick I dislike.

RJ O'Connell
13th September 2008, 07:16 PM
I've got a feeling this will be the last we'll see of barrel rolls.

Frances_Penfold
13th September 2008, 07:21 PM
^^
Doubt that, I do ;)

Because **** stick he is.

What is a "**** stick"?

RJ O'Connell
13th September 2008, 09:07 PM
Given the response has been mostly "Boo" or "Indifference" or "I can't pull it off" I can't see why SL would want to bring it back for "Wipeout After HD". It wouldn't make sense to keep pushing an inherently flawed gameplay element.

Darkdrium777
13th September 2008, 10:56 PM
Barrel rolls aren't supposed to be flawed in HD remember? -15% to shield energy, and they work all the time. It's been said before.

Lance
13th September 2008, 11:49 PM
Don't forget whose concept the barrel rolls are. From that knowledge, draw your own conclusions about how long that feature will be part of the game. ;)

RJ O'Connell
14th September 2008, 02:40 AM
Fidel Castro? Kim Jong Il?

Frances_Penfold
14th September 2008, 04:32 AM
Given the response has been mostly "Boo" or "Indifference" or "I can't pull it off" I can't see why SL would want to bring it back for "Wipeout After HD"

Maybe on this website, yes, I have NEVER witnessed a complaint about barrel rolls on IGN forums or at Neogaf. I suspect that most gamers go, WOOHOO!!! COOL!!! and then proceed to crash into a chicane.

Lance
14th September 2008, 06:27 AM
}confesses to being an elitist who usually doesn't have the same reactions as 'the majority'{

eLhabib
14th September 2008, 11:10 AM
Oh you rebel! ;)

Frances_Penfold
14th September 2008, 03:48 PM
}confesses to being an elitist who usually doesn't have the same reactions as 'the majority'{

For sure-- me as well.

I'm just pointing out that from the perspective of sales, and broadening the Wipeout fanbase, I doubt that barrel rolls are a negative.

Lance
14th September 2008, 04:30 PM
}was aware of that{

-- ----------

"Oh you rebel!"

}starts singing David Bowie song{
}changes mind and sings Canto Della Terra along with Alessandro Safina{<fantasy- I can't sing that high with a full tone, just falsetto, dammit.

RJ O'Connell
14th September 2008, 06:03 PM
I have NEVER witnessed a complaint about barrel rolls on IGN forums or at Neogaf.
There's where the aforementioned indifference is. Find me one post on any of those forums saying something to the effect of "F*ck yeah, BRs kick ass, don't take em out EVER" I'll eat my favourite hat.

Sch@dows
15th September 2008, 11:41 AM
I've just seen the Zone mode differences between press build et final build (http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2008/09/11/how-sony-changed-wipeout-hd-to-pass-health-tests/) and I must admit that ... i prefer the previous version.
But if this is what it takes to get the game out ... it's a small thing.

Despite the fact that I'll probably be banned (^_~) I like the barrel roll and I also like thet fact it sucks more shield when used in HD.

Frances_Penfold
15th September 2008, 04:19 PM
Heh, I thought this was kinda funny...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12804259&postcount=27

The rumors about the failed epilepsy tests seem to have done nothing but make gamers want the game more-- maybe Sony should work that out formally with advertising. "Wipeout has always been brain-melting, but our most recent game took things a little too far..."

Wip3ou7
16th September 2008, 07:31 PM
Did they really need to remove the bloom effect from the "white sweep" in zone? it doesnt even look like light now, it just looks like a sharp white band of color.

mangaroo
16th September 2008, 10:00 PM
i have to say im pretty disappointed with the new zone mode after seeing all the previous videos..

Darkdrium777
18th September 2008, 12:42 AM
Tony Buckley, the voice for Sony Liverpool on the epilepsy test. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/videogame-epilepsy-tests-subjective-says-wipeout-developer)

JABBERJAW
18th September 2008, 12:53 AM
I don't like BR's, but I don't like the extra energy they pull off in HD. If they are going to be in, they were fine in pure and pulse the way they were (amt of energy pulled off). This extra take off of energy might separate a great pilot from a good pilot more though, since the good pilot will hit the walls more, and not have much energy to actually use the Br. But vote for the future, definitely out, unless in HD it feels really good. I would like it much better for 1 or two Brs per lap max, then people would be on equal footing like in Wo3 with the set amt of energy. It would then be a matter of where the barrel rolls would be best used to decrease your time

RJ O'Connell
18th September 2008, 03:24 AM
I would like it much better for 1 or two Brs per lap max, then people would be on equal footing like in Wo3 with the set amt of energy. It would then be a matter of where the barrel rolls would be best used to decrease your time
It's kind of what the extra shield drain in HD was intended to do...just my opinion...

Frances_Penfold
18th September 2008, 03:46 AM
This is starting to veer way off topic-- do we need a barrel roll thread?-- but do we know yet about the re-charge rate for Time Trial modes?

If BRs take off a whopping 15% of a ship's energy each time, time trialing will very much be BR-limited-- unless the shield re-charge is sky-high as in Wipeout Pulse.

In Wipeout Pure, the re-charge rate in free-play mode is slow enough that one can run out of shields by performing barrel rolls-- and time trials are definitely BR limited at least for ships that had low total shields. (The BR cost mechanic was based on an absolute rather than a relative proportion in Pure, so some ships are better suited for repeat BRs).

Lance
18th September 2008, 06:53 AM
Indeed it has veered; the release date is now known; the reason for the delay is also known; there is already another thread for discussion of the barrel rolls. Not-much/no reason to continue this thread, really.