PDA

View Full Version : xbox purchase

Hydra XL
8th August 2002, 10:47 PM
here da deal: own ps2; ps2 dvd player is kaka; want a new dvd player; i know xbox dvd player is better and i can get one for $50 us less than the 199 retail @ $150, but i would still need a dvd remote. thought about the xbox for pretty much only 3 games - HALO, Dead to Rights & Quantum Redshift. but HALO still floats at it's original MSRP of $49.99, and the other will undoubtedly be that price as well when they are released. not too mention the controller is a dysfunctional clunky stool sample, so i'd need to get the controller converter (another $20 us retail).

so basically... those of you who own the x-box (or those who don't) -- ur unbiased opinion -- worth it?

(btw, if i want to save games, would i need to also shell out for a memory card or can you use xbox's HD for that?)

Sven
9th August 2002, 01:33 AM
have you tried the new PS2 DVD drivers yet? they're quite much better than the old ones. They come with the $20 Sony PS2 DVD remote. Also, you don't have to get x-b mem cards, but then how do you transport your game saves?
In short, don't get the x-box

Nick Burcombe
9th August 2002, 09:45 AM
>thought about the xbox for pretty much only 3 games - HALO, Dead to Rights & >Quantum Redshift.

What a nice circle of games you have us pegged with. :)
BTW QR is starting to get some pr coverage around the web, here is a favourite of mine...

"When the public got word of Microsoft's futuristic racer, Quantum Redshift, it appeared safe to write it off as yet another WipeOut clone. The game had a decent showing at E3, but on-site kiosks (likely set to "Novice" difficulty), failed to show off the game's incredible sense of speed. After hours of intense racing, it's obvious that Quantum Redshift is the new standard."

LOL. We had a collective blush at the office. :)

I hope you guys like it anyway.

Nick

AmishRobot
9th August 2002, 02:06 PM
QR is looking very nice. I still have a couple reservations about it, but I'm willing to give you guys the benefit of the doubt. Whenever I do get an xbox (which may not be for a few more months) I expect QR to be my first purchase.

One thing I did notice, however, is that I went to the store yesterday and saw a promotional box for the game, and it had the absolute worst screenshots I've ever seen on the back. They practically screamed, "For the love of god, don't buy me!"

If you guys have any sway whatsoever over the marketing department at Microsoft, I strongly suggest you check the design on the production boxes before they get made. A distance shot of a bridge does not sell people a racing game!

Hydra: If you've got the extra cash, I say go for it.

Nick Burcombe
9th August 2002, 02:09 PM
http://forums.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?s=961e14bd26be5bcaa9e06e5ec465ef03&threadid=124587

Here's the whole article - should give you guys a better idea of whats different and whats involved.

Nick

p.s. I'll mention the poor screenshots.

Nick Burcombe
9th August 2002, 02:11 PM
Amish,

What store was it? Just curious.

stin
9th August 2002, 08:12 PM
the game looks pretty cool (QR) but i don`t want a X-BOX yes for ps2!!!
its look realistic also pure graphics too and i`m sticking ps2 at the moment cos i`m enjoying wipeouts anyway.

stin :)

infoxicated
9th August 2002, 09:27 PM
Is there any chance of a PS2 version, Nick, or are you totally submerged in Micro$oft's back pocket? :-? :)

AmishRobot
10th August 2002, 01:02 AM
Amish,

What store was it? Just curious.
I saw it at Electronics Boutique, in America. It was a (slightly) oversized cardboard box that was clearly for promotion only.

I only brought it up because I've seen some screenshots of the game that are absolutley mindblowing, and these weren't it! :)

lunar
10th August 2002, 02:20 AM
A friend of mine who has an X-box thinks Gotham City Racing is the best game for it. I guess this isn`t true but it shows how there`s a short supply of great games compared to the PS2. X-Box graphics don`t really blow me away compared to PS2 graphics. They`re not a massive leap forward, just less slowdown generally.

I`ve seen a lot of QR movies, and it seems to have more a traditional floaty wipeout feel than fusion does., which has to be good.

What bothers me is that, like in Fusion, the ships don`t seem to lose speed much after hitting walls. You can`t tell properly from movies of course, but they look like they have invisible rubber rings around them. It has an arcadey look to it, with "powerup bonuses", lots of pink and green bits, and overall pretty graphics (like Star Wars Bombad Racing!!), and not at all like any Wipeout, even Fusion. Having said that its not meant to be Wipeout and its probably fun to play.

To get back on topic, PS2 has Wipeout Fusion, SSX Tricky (X-Box version is inferior), GTA3, Pro Evolution Soccer, Frequency (that`s just my collection) and many many more classic games. Until you`ve got them all I`d say its better to spend your cash on software than hardware, though this depends on how much cash you`ve got!!

zargz
10th August 2002, 03:12 AM
x box has dead or alive 3 pretty good I have to admit thou I just played for a 20 min ..
my kid bro howhever was playing it for a week or so and I've seen alot
the original (1) was real crap this one's got a fine system with the buttons - about 80 moves each character ..
I'm dissapointed with fusion, my friend bought it (after alot of lobbying from me :D)
and we've completed 70% but as many other guys here we just played FFX last time I was to see him ..
so I'm still ok with wo3se!! 8) ans psx I still didnt complete soul reaver and punch the monkey!! anybody heard of that game?? :wink:

Nick Burcombe
10th August 2002, 02:21 PM
Is there any chance of a PS2 version, Nick, or are you totally submerged in Micro$oft's back pocket? :-? :)

Not for the foreseeable future. We're only a team of 9 people so we concentrate on one platform at a time.

Nick

Wiseman
11th August 2002, 09:39 AM
So Microsoft is just funding the advertisement/production side of it then, Nick?

I thought they had scooped up the whole project (funding everything) so they would be the only ones to ever have it.

Still though, you'd have to wonder what would have to be dumped in order to be able to make a PS2 version, after seeing screenshots like these(bump-mapping looks spetacular, BTW ;)):

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/quantumredshift/quantumx_screen025.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/quantumredshift/quantumx_screen012.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/quantumredshift/quantumredshiftb_screen001.jpg

My only beef with it is that the HUD looks a bit, erm, cramped, to me. I think it has more to do with that they're just so far towads the middle of the screen. I know you need to move them in a little, so people with wacked up displays don't get half thier info chopped off, but I just think that's a little *too* much.

I like my HUD's where info is easy to see, but they don't distract me when I'm busy doing my main goal, whatever it may be.

Besides that, from what I've seen so far, it looks great. Whenever it comes out, I'll definitely rent it (and buy it if I like/love it enough). One things for sure, I'm still hungry for some AG racing, and Wipeout Fusion definitely cut me a few courses (excuse the pun) short.

Wiseman
11th August 2002, 09:50 AM
Oh wait, I should have said something on topic, bad me! :lol:

Anyway, I have an X-Box (and a GameCube, and a PS2, and a GBA :wink:), so I like to think I'm pretty "unbiased" when it comes to the whole scope of things.

If you don't need to sell your PS2 in order for you to be able to afford an X-Box, then I'd say go for it. But if you plan on trading in your PS2 for one, I'd say stick with the PS2 for the time being.

The X-Box has a few great games, and more are coming, but I'm still on the "if you can only afford one system, and you want the greatest vareity available, then go with the PS2" stance.

If you like Nintendo, go for Nintendo, if you want variety, go for a PS2, if you want a second system, go for an X-Box. That's my 2 cents in a nutshell.

AmishRobot
11th August 2002, 07:18 PM
Wiseman earns a gold star, and validates his name! ;)

Lance
11th August 2002, 08:22 PM
while we're offtopic, i pretty much ignore the HUD in racing games. i pay attention to the power bar at the start of WO3, just for getting the turbostart. but otherwise, no. i like to have a vocal announcement of how many laps are left in the race, and one for 'shield energy low'. i don't need any performance info till after the race is over; you can generally tell how well you're doing just by 'feel'. i would prefer to have the view as unobscured as possible. vocal announcements of weapons acquired by me or weapons aimed at me, preferably in a different voice for each of those, would be good.

JABBERJAW
11th August 2002, 11:07 PM
nick, lunar had asked about how much you slow down when scraping the walls. if you remember I had suggested adding small amounts of turbo for not hitting. Was this incorportated(I had also sent it to you by email). Or is it faster to not scrape? Wipeout fusion was ruined for me because it was faster to just scrape the wall. September 12th now? wise choice. I'm not too sure about many people picking up the game on the 11th in the states. Hey, is it coming out in the US and Europe at the same time? And before I ramble on too long ?LINK MODE!! Hopefully this can just be an extra for multiplayer.

Nick Burcombe
12th August 2002, 09:56 AM
Zoolander - we tried this but eventually you get so good at not hitting walls the amount of turbo you "could" gain was making it far too easy and it took the challenge out of it. We then thought about just putting it in the TT, but then the records and what they meant against each other went a bit out the window - something usability feedback came back with. Wall scraping is not severe and infact I think a little bit generous. It's quicker to get a good line but (and this is something WO1 suffered from) you generally get away with scrapes at the higher speeds.

Wiseman - Wise words indeed. RE: Console flavours.

Wiseman - RE: HUD. HUD design is one of those tasks that goes on and on and on when you're making a game. Chris (prog) and Lee (artist) and the rest of us have put a lot of time into trying to get the best balance between keeping the player informed of EVERYTHING and keeping that information out of the way. Not an easy task. The balance struck, I believe is about right. At the higher speed it all seems to just melt away from your vision and it's actually very comfortable. Bear in mind that those screenshots are a little misleading - the HUD elements would appear to sit too far from the edges of the screen on those shots, but this is for a very good reason. All TV's are slightly different in alignment and where the screen center will be. The area outside of the HUD is called the SAFE AREA and caters for the absolute worst case scenario for a really badly configured TV. Most of this is not seen at all on normal, well manufactuered TV, but we have to render it just in case. When grabbing a screen shot from the XBOX you get everything that is rendered, not just what in on-screen. The tolerances for 4:3 PAL/NTSC regular broadcast has to be about 80% (which is very poor - up to 20% differences between televisions)!!!! HDTV as a standard has a tolerance around 95% which mean we will be able to give the player even more screen because we know that every TV will only be about 5% different.

Wiseman - RE: Funding. Microsoft are the Publisher for our game. We work "1st party" for Microsoft at the moment. They pay us to make it then they try to sell enough copies to recoup that money and make a profit. The publishing of a game includes (although other companies may do thing slightly differently) - Translation, Documentation, Website, Marketing, Advertising, Testing, Duplication, Distribution and probably a bunch of stuff I can't think of.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Nick B

Lance
12th August 2002, 02:43 PM
Nick: would it be difficult to include an option to simply turn the HUD off?

Nick Burcombe
12th August 2002, 04:15 PM
We have that already - Mini map off, HUD off or Hud On.

N

Lance
12th August 2002, 04:52 PM
excellent, i love to have options!

JABBERJAW
12th August 2002, 08:26 PM
So scraping is just as fast as the perfect turn? or just not a huge difference. I think you meant xl with the scraping in that you could scrape the walls lightly and it would still consider it a perfect turn. THe main place I was concerned with in the demo was in that red tunnel where it seemed like it might not make that big a difference. ONe last suggestion then, scraping the wall takes off some of your turbo, unless it is extremely light. scraping harder takes off more. This would add more skill. Thanks for getting back to us on all our questions. Al

Nick Burcombe
12th August 2002, 09:52 PM
Zoolander - You're right I meant the the Wipeout XL method (which was excellent for rigidly track based game) and the Wipeout 1 was just far too harsh. Because we aren't in a track as such in QR in fact the system works over any completely arbitary geometry (Water, Rough, Loose, Track, Angled walls, loops (which BTW you can actually fall off!! Tut-tut WOF) the physics system would be detecting scrapes unfairly when the craft bottoms out etc - so we're not gonna let the turbo time be affected by such incidents.

Oh and BTW, just so you all know - we're pretty much finished - it is what it is now, so we wont be changing anything designwise, but all ideas and thoughts and fears will be listened to.

Anyway, look this has turned into a QR thread completely which isn't really fair on the Wipeout forum.

Has anyone heard anything about the next WO?

Sorry Foxx and Co. - I'm well off topic. :oops:

Lance
13th August 2002, 12:16 AM
we're the ones who asked the questions. it just shows how alive this board is that we develop real conversations here

AmishRobot
13th August 2002, 01:07 AM
I have a feeling that over the next few months, this forum will be very busy with QR-related topics.

For starters, we're all big fans of the A-G racing/futuristic racing concept. There are quite a few topics on Rollcage, XG3, etc... If you were working on a game featuring a lesser kudu with "attitude" who punted cats across a room, we probably wouldn't care, and wouldn't be pestering you with questions.

Second, most of us agree that WOF was not what it could have been. QR has the best chance of accomplishing what WOF couldn't. Between the pics, articles, and Al's testimonial, we're pretty damn excited.

Finally, we have access to someone who can actually answer our questions. And we know you're here because you love Wipeout, and not that you're on some QR marketing campaign.

And if you still feel bad about Hydra's topic getting hijacked... maybe all this talk is helping him decide. ;)

If Infox disagrees, I'm sure he'll let us know. He's not exactly shy about expressing his opinion. :lol:

PS - Just the words, "when the craft bottoms out" make me feel very good.

Lance
13th August 2002, 04:41 AM
james: what about a giant eland?

er... wamdue and i are supposed to watch for that offtopic sort of thing, too. however, you may have noticed that i am not quick to jump on that particular offense as long as the conversation arises from the original topic. when a topic is posted in the wrong forum is a different story.

infoxicated
13th August 2002, 08:12 AM
...not that you're on some QR marketing campaign.
Heh! - FWIW the Curly Monsters server is always in the top five in the logs of who has visited, so I reckon Nick does keep a close eye on this place on more occasions than he posts.

From an AG racing point of view that's probably a good thing - he knows where WF went wrong and what we disliked about it, so QR should be engineered to at least come close to what we're all after.

In saying that, I will never buy an X-Box, so I guess I'll miss out on playing QR :)

Nick Burcombe
13th August 2002, 08:58 AM
Foxx - Yeah, I'm the only one who posts, but most the people in the office love reading the board just to gauge opinion and listen to whats being said amoungst people who are essentially our target audience (although hopefully more of you ;))
It's a great board and extremely well run - always a pleasure to contribute.

Amish - RE:QR marketing campaign. LOL! I think Microsofts Marketing dollars will do a better job than me just talking to a hand full of Hardcore AG Racing fans.

Look, you've got me back on QR again :) I don't feel too bad about it now either ;)

Just hope you like our first stab at XBox when it comes out. Plenty more to come with any luck.

Nick

Nick Burcombe
13th August 2002, 10:04 AM
I think I was replying to a different thread earlier but Wamdue was asking if QR was going to be on XBox Live....the launched date for XBox Live is well after our launch...

here is confirmation

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020813/152/d79ts.html

Nick

Wamdue
13th August 2002, 11:15 AM
aww, well, I guess I can still hope for a sequel with xbox live functions ;)

btw, regarding the whole ps2-xbox-gc thing.. As Wiseman says, the ps2 has the widest sortiment of games released, and the xbox is still in its first phase of its life. So, im agreeing with Wiseman in that if you can/only want one console, go for ps2. But id prefer the xbox over gc anytime.. Project Ego, or whatever its new title is , is looking awesome.. SW:galaxies too. Not speaking of the recently released Halo 2 pics, wich indeed are competing with Doom III´s visuals.

Nick Burcombe
13th August 2002, 11:36 AM
I agree. You have to bear in mind that it was really about 12 months (if not more) before PS2 had any killer apps. I bought a PS2 on the strength of GT3 - many people did.

I think XBOX will get stronger and stronger as will GC and PS2.

All three is the only answer ;)

I must say I've been very impressed with the recent rash of FPS on the PC too.
MOHAA is excellent, Soldier of Fortune 2 and Wolfenstien have all impressed me.
DoomIII is looking like another serious jump in technology from Id.

All in all, awesomely good news for us gamers.
Platform winners and loses - irrelevant and a little daft really.
Some people prefer Mini's to Ferrari's - the fact they have a choice is a good thing.

Nick

Hydra XL
13th August 2002, 08:26 PM
it's alright amish; i enjoy [controlled] chaos. QR is a large part of my decision; i suppose i should just wait till it is released... then again i would like to rip open and destroy HALO while i still hav the summer's free time. already owning a ps2, i was mainly interested to hear those unbiased who own an x-box what they think of it straightforwardly. But the QR talk is rather welcome altho' now i should probably edit the topic header. W/ the new x-box controller just recently released, which now much more resembles the ps2's, the purchase decision is leading towards the affirmative side. hopefully MS will quickly throw the new controller prepacked, bundled w/ the console instead of their current controllers... but prob not; not for a while at least.

AmishRobot
14th August 2002, 01:20 AM
As of this moment, I really don't think the xbox is worth the money. It will be by the end of the year, though. As for the GameCube, I'm starting to get impressed, but I still think they're digging themselves further into the niche market. Mario and Zelda are great, but they don't sell me anymore. And I'm still skeptical that a bunch of guys from Texas can really do Metroid justice.

To be honest, I wouldn't even suggest a PS2 to anyone, unless they can accept that GTA3 is a $200 game. It's got some decent games, but that's the only one that really knocked me out. Overall I haven't been too impressed by my PS2. I still haven't been able to disable the goddamn parental control on the dvd player...

Infox: I'm curious, what are your reasons for not buying an xbox? Economical? Political? Weight limit on the elevator up to your apartment??

Lance: A giant eland with attitude just might work... perhaps if we set it up with lesser kudu sidekick that spouts out clever quips every 3.5 seconds. We could have them set up against a land full of pirate hyenas that are kidnapping all the fairy princess extreme snowboarders. They could fight them using a magic interdimensional pen that they use to redraw all the geometry in the game into a non-euclidian form, thus driving the hyenas (and the player) insane.

Hey! Someone call Vivendi!!

Lance
14th August 2002, 02:25 AM
we could call it Jock and Jokester

Synthetic Consciousness
14th August 2002, 03:32 AM
Let me know if you want a "Precursor" style font, and I'll come up with something. :)

infoxicated
14th August 2002, 09:32 AM
Amish: My reasons for not buying an X-Box are political, mainly.

Has anyone looked at how much control Miro$oft has over their files, communications, media and anything else they try to do on Windows XP?

Do I want Micro$oft to have the same kind of control over my games playing too, never mind my online games playing?

Not a chance in hell - Micro$oft always has and always will have a hidden agenda (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25956.html) to every single step they take. They are above the law in Northern America and have been pretty free to do what they like in Europe too. They have been in court with the US DoJ (and now several independant states) since time began and the DoJ has given them so much room to play with that even the DoJ has forgotten what the whole case was about in the first place.

There are 250 confirmed releases planed for the PS2 between now and christmas - if I like only a small percentage of those I will be spoiled for choice. Several I know I will buy are Tomb Raider, Race Driver, either WRC02 or Colin Mcrae 3, F12002, TimeSplitters 2 and GTA Vice City... that represents plenty of gaming time to me, anything else is a bonus.

At the moment I am happy with GTA3, Ace Combat 4, Medal of Honour : Frontline, Wipeout 3 (remember that!?), Smash Court Tennis (soon to be traded for Sega Tennis, I imagine) and a few others in my collection of around 15 PS2 games.

The only thing the X-Box has over the PS2 is a graphics advantage - not playability, not kudos and certainly not variety of games. There is no single game on the X-Box that will not have an equivalent on the PS2 - knowing that, and that Micro$oft are a shower of bastards, means I can save myself more than £200 (the cost of games has to be factored in somewhere).

:)

Sven
14th August 2002, 10:12 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't even suggest a PS2 to anyone, unless they can accept that GTA3 is a $200 game. It's got some decent games, but that's the only one that really knocked me out. Overall I haven't been too impressed by my PS2. I still haven't been able to disable the goddamn parental control on the dvd player...
There are plenty of great PS2 games, not to mention the Network Adapter and accompanying software being released in 2 weeks (I've got mine reserved!).
As for the DVD player, did you read the manual?

lunar
15th August 2002, 12:25 AM
Amen, Infoxicated.

AmishRobot
15th August 2002, 01:52 AM
Has anyone looked at how much control Miro$oft has over their files, communications, media and anything else they try to do on Windows XP?
That's exactly why I've been working so hard in migrating over to Linux. ;) Strangely enough, I was originally writing this message 12 hours ago, just before I went to work. When I went to post it, my cheap Winmodem gave out on me... again. So I'm now back in Windows until I have the time to go buy a real modem. Bastards! :)

Sven: This weekend I had to compile a program to get it to run in Linux. I expected I would have to read the manual. If I do any work on my car, I read the manual. When I want to change the settings on my console video game system, RTFM does not register with me. With something that mainstream, any need for a manual is poor design.

...And yes, I did RTFM.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I really do think that the PS2 is one game from being completely mediocre, and about 5 games from being a complete POS. As a system, it hasn't impressed me one bit. The good games almost seem to be good despite the system. The PS1 was awsome, but I still think Sony seriously dropped the ball with this one. And I'm not into online games at all.

I can totally respect infox's views though. I guess we all have to pick our battles. I'll probably get an xbox someday, but I'll likely buy it used, so I don't contribute to sales figures. Although there is a part of me that wants to pay full price, just so MS will lose some money. :P

Lance
15th August 2002, 04:09 AM
i keep sayin' it: the Dreamcast was the first of the ubermaschinen, and it may still be the best.
possible exception: the gamecube.

AmishRobot
15th August 2002, 04:19 AM
In my mind, the Dreamcast has officially rocked the house. I owned more games for that than I have any other system. Sadly, I sold it all for my PS2. Folly! I need to get it back.

...Hmmm... off-topic again. Sorry about that.

Wiseman
26th August 2002, 08:36 AM
Bear in mind that those screenshots are a little misleading - the HUD elements would appear to sit too far from the edges of the screen on those shots, but this is for a very good reason. All TV's are slightly different in alignment and where the screen center will be. The area outside of the HUD is called the SAFE AREA and caters for the absolute worst case scenario for a really badly configured TV. Most of this is not seen at all on normal, well manufactuered TV, but we have to render it just in case.Yeah, that's what I was saying here:

I know you need to move them in a little, so people with wacked up displays don't get half thier info chopped offbasically. But I didn't know that they were taken directly from the X-Box. I remember Gamespot had something on that a while back ago, talking about how Microsoft had provided them with some software that would allow them to do that, and was asking the users whether they should use it or not (since it would make X-Box pics look way sharper and cleaner than the other systems, thus providing material for stupid lame fanboy's). I didn't know if they had ever decided to use it or not, guess they have.

Just the words, "when the craft bottoms out" make me feel very good.I agree totally. Can't wait!

You have to bear in mind that it was really about 12 months (if not more) before PS2 had any killer apps.Exactly.

As for the rest of the talk, all it really comes down to is what games you like as to what system you choose.

Take for granted, one of the main factors that made me get an X-Box now rather than later was EB's "trade in a PSX and 10 games and get the X-Box for $99" deal they had going. Already had 2 PSX's, plus my PS2, and way more than 10 games that I wanted to have nothing to do with anymore (got all of them for free, mind you), so it was pretty much an easy decision for me.

But had the X-Box not had some games I already wanted, I would have laughed at it and walked on by.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I really do think that the PS2 is one game from being completely mediocre, and about 5 games from being a complete POS. As a system, it hasn't impressed me one bit.LOL, that's pretty much how I felt about the N64 minus the 1 game from being completely mediocre (it was mediocre IMO).

As for the Dreamcast, yeah I agree. Gotta love the system, even if it was backed by a company that had no idea what to do with it. Although some might disagree, I think Sega is where they belong now, doing what they do best, making games.

Lance
26th August 2002, 05:24 PM
by the time Sega had produced the machine, they were so deep in debt that they had no cash to advertise. pity

Nick Burcombe
28th August 2002, 11:30 AM
EUROPE SINGS: XBOX PRICE CUT TO £160

Come on! Microsoft has responded to Sony's move this morning by dropping the price of its machine in Europe: hit this now!

11:48 European gamers got a bumper console package today with a PlayStation 2 price cut to £170 and now a cheaper Xbox at £160, effective as of Friday.
With ECTS beginning tomorrow, the world's eyes are firmly on Europe to lead the price war into Christmas 2002, and Microsoft and Sony have acted with direction and firmness. Yet again, the winner is you, the gamer.

Nintendo is now the only one of the Big Three to not reduce the cost of its console, although heavy rumour is circulating today that tomorrow's Nintendo Breakfast event ahead of the London trade show will provide a platform for a move that could send GameCube below £100.

The slashes in cost are expected to accelerate Christmas sales to light-speed this year, especially when coupled with a console game line-up of unprecedented quality.

Feel the rush. Stay tuned for all the news from ECTS tomorrow.

Wamdue
28th August 2002, 11:57 AM
saweeeeeet.. but i got my ps2 and xbox.. and so far, the gc hasnt really showed off any games more than rouge leader that I want..

Nick Burcombe
28th August 2002, 12:00 PM
Rouge leader was just too formula for me. Super Monkey Ball however is ace! :)
The current reviews of Mario Sunshine pouring out of the State bode well. Averaging about 95%. I know what I want for Xmas (beside Japanese Twins and a 360 modena spyder).

Nick

xEik
28th August 2002, 01:09 PM
Aren't you obsessed with japanese twins Mr. Burcombe? :roll:

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Nick Burcombe
28th August 2002, 01:12 PM
Only in an Austin Powers sort of a way. :o

Wamdue
28th August 2002, 01:25 PM
never played rouge leader, so, besides from what Ive heard i have no idea oh how it plays like.. super monkey ball seems like a really fun game, but.. I want like, story that engages you and to some point realism or tweaked realism (never liked those tom clancy sims) I guess thats why the xbox appeals to me, its got raw power and that sort of games. Oh how I wish they could have left out the "i love america and I love the fact that I am american" speeches in Splinter Cell.. every hollywood movie has it, and now the games?!...

Nick Burcombe
28th August 2002, 03:04 PM
High Bandwidth

http://www.xbox.com/xboxtv/default.asp?countrycode=us&bandwidth=hi&video=/cms/asx/news/XBox-Advantage-0001.asx

Low Bandwidth (not recommended)

http://www.xbox.com/xboxtv/default.asp?countrycode=us&bandwidth=lo&video=/cms/asx/news/XBox-Advantage-0001.asx

Lance
28th August 2002, 07:56 PM
''360 modena spyder''

make mine red!

stin
28th August 2002, 09:14 PM
is it possible for QR from X-BOX to PS2? just asking :-? well its a cool game

stin :-?

infoxicated
28th August 2002, 09:40 PM
No chance at all, Stin - the code will be virtually unportable, the game relies on the horsepower of the XBox rather than the parallel processing of the PS2, and Curly Monsters are on the Microsoft payroll, so it's as likely as seeing GTA Vice City on the XBox this christmas! :D

Nick Burcombe
29th August 2002, 12:56 AM
LOL. Just like Budwiser....TRUE

Nick

p.s. I personally doubt if you could get the PS2 to do it - asking too much perhaps - PS2 might be able to write with both hands - but how fast? Infoxx is right. :) LOL

Disclaimer: I don't like Budwiser - it's &%$.

infoxicated
29th August 2002, 08:34 AM
Bud Ice is ok, though ;)

Hey, lets go even further off topic - about a year ago I went into an off licence (liquor store, US cousins!) and as my feme and myself were on a health kick I asked for a case (some health kick!) of Bud Light - you know, the low calorie one.

Well, the extremely large woman behind the counter says "Sorry - they stopped selling it in the UK a few months ago, so we don't have that."

"Weird." I mused "I wonder why?"

At this point her even larger side kick joined her from a store room and said "I think it's 'cos we'd rather be fat!"

The words "no" and "sh*t" sprung into mind there and then! :D

Nick Burcombe
29th August 2002, 08:57 AM
Awesome! Makes life worth living. :)

stin
29th August 2002, 05:59 PM
och! well at least l tried :-?

stin :cry:

ps l might getting an X-BOX soon????