PDA

View Full Version : No shield in Talons reach?

username
4th July 2008, 12:09 AM
OK, i have been playing 2097 since about 1998 on the ps1. And have no memories (photographic memory) of every using a shield on talons reach.
To confirm this i started up a game, activated the no time limit cheat, and sat over a weapon pad, discarding weapons. after about 5 mins, and 200 weapons i decided i want going to get one.
|Is it just my copy of the game, or has anyone else got this problem?
I am using an original version, that is PAL for the playstation one.

RJ O'Connell
4th July 2008, 12:15 AM
It's mentioned in the game's Wikipedia article that the shield is not available at Talon's Reach. Wikipedia validity jokes aside, I think the answer to your question of "is it just my copy?" is no. It's not just yours. It's a bug that affects all copies of the game.

Medusa
4th July 2008, 02:11 PM
That's pretty neat. I had never noticed that! Theoretically, that makes the probability of reaching the ultimate lowest time on a track more likely on Talon's Reach than any other track, since the odds of getting a turbo are better with no shield to pick up.
Interesting.

JABBERJAW
5th July 2008, 04:17 AM
I never noticed that, odd

Darkdrium777
5th July 2008, 04:21 AM
I've played only a few hours (five tops) on Talon's and when I read this topic I realized it was indeed true. Maybe it's a bug, but Talon's is very easy (Except with PS3 controller via emulator like me ^^) so you shouldn't need a shield, which is why I think it may have been programmed too.

Asayyeah
5th July 2008, 09:46 PM
Dag and I noticed it years ago and we linked that to the slowdown we have on few tracks were the AI ships take a shield on ( especially in ilink mode), i tried to tell you that last year and this year too Al but i think i haven't be able to express myself enough good.
That is why Talon's is great through ilink mode ( no shield for AI ) there's also 2 other tracks with such implementation.

RJ O'Connell
6th July 2008, 03:49 PM
Asa: What about in Head to Head mode where it's just 2 ships?

Asayyeah
12th July 2008, 07:00 PM
Just because when you are 2nd you got the 'catch-up' thingie which gives you extra speed , in contrario the leader ship has speed limited :mr-t