PDA

View Full Version : CoLD SToRAGE HD

yawnstretch
22nd June 2008, 11:23 AM
Cool interview with Tim Wright here:

http://www.ocremix.org/info/Composer_Interview:_CoLD_SToRAGE_%28Tim_Wright%29

"Coming back to Wipeout on Wipeout Pure was just great, and the response to my track "Onyx" gave me such renewed confidence. In fact, I’m currently working on CoLD SToRAGE HD, a 7-track album specifically written for people to use with Wipeout HD. It’s not official or endorsed, but I think people will enjoy listening to some fresh CoLD SToRAGE while they pilot on their PS3."

Sounds Good!

lunar
22nd June 2008, 01:33 PM
Good news. Tim`s "Onyx" was the best of the Pure soundtrack, imo.

AG-wolf
22nd June 2008, 02:43 PM
hahahaha awesome; "it's not official or endorsed" but he knows people love his music for the series :P That's great

Linchpin
22nd June 2008, 03:23 PM
That was an interesting interview ..
Wow CoLD SToRAGE , what a legend he is :D
Lucky for the use your own music feature .

Lance
22nd June 2008, 04:02 PM
That is so cool of Tim. Love it!

Frances_Penfold
22nd June 2008, 05:50 PM
That is awesome. This is a "will buy" for me, day one.

My favorite tracks for playing Pure and Pulse are by Cold Storage, and I really don't understand why in the world he wasn't included officially for Wipeout Pulse and Wipeout HD. I would think that it would be worth it solely as a nod to the history of the franchise-- but add to it the fact that Cold Storage makes the best racing music EVAR, it would seem like a slam dunk.

rdmx
23rd June 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I posted the same link a back in the Android Child thread, but now I know that people hardly check 'New Posts' :frown:

cybrpnk
23rd June 2008, 07:13 AM
very cool...love to see what new choons Mr. Storage comes up with...

Canada is still by far my absolute favourite...memories of 2097 and caning through Sagarmatha on Phantom...I always seem to drive better with Canada...

Can't wait to listen to some new Cold Storage...see if anything can knock Canada off its pedestal...

Lance
23rd June 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted the same link a back in the Android Child thread, but now I know that people hardly check 'New Posts' :frown:

But that was a discussion about his current album, yes? Different thread subject.

I Always check ^New Threads^. But of course, mods need to. :D

Chill
24th June 2008, 01:11 AM
Thank god...

rdmx
24th June 2008, 07:10 AM
But that was a discussion about his current album, yes? Different thread subject.

I Always check ^New Threads^. But of course, mods need to. :D

The interview was a mixture of both - plus didn't Tim himself already say it himself in the android child thread?
Doesn't matter anyway, but it's good to hear that Tim's making some music for the game.:)

Wip3ou7
24th June 2008, 08:56 AM
That's really excellent of Tim to write a whole Album just for us gamers... he must be a really big WipEout fan himself... hopefully the record labels don't take this as a sign of weakness and use it against him in the future... he's already been shafted a few times from what I understand.

Fascia
24th June 2008, 09:59 AM
I <3 my CoLD SToRAGE

AUTO-PILOT
24th June 2008, 01:21 PM
This is great news!
thank's Tim.:+

Darkdrium777
24th June 2008, 02:12 PM
hopefully the record labels don't take this as a sign of weakness and use it against him in the future... he's already been shafted a few times from what I understand.I think he's got his own label. Frost Byte Records I believe, so for publishing his music it shouldn't be a problem. However it's people who wish to license him that might be missing, and the ones who did the licensing for Pulse and HD obviously didn't have a clue about who or what CoLD SToRAGE was to the franchise... sadly :(

piper999
25th June 2008, 04:48 AM
How much do you think he'll charge for the tracks? Sounds tempting.

Norfolk'n'Clue
25th June 2008, 12:14 PM
It seems he's mainly a house producer. :cold :bomb

Sugar_from_OTW
27th June 2008, 10:53 PM
I'd like my few wipeout sessions to be with tim's tracks...will he release them before the release of the game?

AG-wolf
30th June 2008, 05:41 PM
but add to it the fact that Cold Storage makes the best racing music EVAR...

woah woah woah... let's not get too hasty or generous. Don't get me wrong, Tim has always done unfathomably awesome music for the Wipeout series... but for the "best racing music EVAR" I think that credit goes to a Mr. Barry Leitch.

edit: either that, or they're both on an equal level of awesome.

Sugar_from_OTW
23rd September 2008, 10:35 AM
sorry to bump. Is Tim going to release this any time soon? Does anyone know?

Axel
23rd September 2008, 11:08 AM
As far as I know, it's still work in progress. I'm sure we will hear something when it's done.

Yome NetSan
25th September 2008, 01:02 PM
Well, it's all a bit embarassing really! The day job was taking over my life, so when the release was postponed I actually breathed a sigh of relief - any extra time was good news.

So, I kept checking on release dates, and the last one I had was October 15th from somewhere...

However, it's coming out tomorrow(!) This means I'll have to get my production skates on and polish off the tracks ASAP.

I'll keep everyone posted... :O)

C.S.

The Wipeout HD release date caught me by surprise - I was working to an old date of October 15th - gah!
Guess that's what happens when you've got your head down working at the day job, trying to move house, coping with a broken car and visiting potential secondary schools for your son! Suffice to say, I'll be getting "CoLD SToRAGE HD" polished off ASAP. As soon as it's ready I'll let you all know... Take it easy! C.S.

From CoLD SToRAGE official group on facebook : http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=18908221911

SouthendRage
25th September 2008, 01:31 PM
Can't wait for more Cold storage tunes! zone mode is gonna pushed to the limit :lol

Paradoxx
10th October 2008, 10:21 PM
Release date : 10/14/08 !

http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/

lovedr
10th October 2008, 11:59 PM
awseome, shall be purchasing here too.

Darkdrium777
11th October 2008, 12:25 AM
Includes only these six tracks? Or are the remixes of older tracks like Messij in there as well? I'm not disappointed, on the contrary I am glad to hear that Tim's going to release something, but I just thought he would be doing those remixes too (Maybe I've got something wrong, I don't know...)

Wip3ou7
11th October 2008, 12:34 AM
Remixes of old tracks would be awesome... the CoLD SToRAGE tracks from WipEout on PSX and SAT are still my favorite racing music for WipEout HD.

eLhabib
11th October 2008, 08:53 AM
Can't wait to purchase this! Especially that bit about the track that 'was intended for inclusion on the very first Wipeout but was thought to have been totally lost...' sounds very intriguing!

lunar
11th October 2008, 04:57 PM
I`m hoping for more in the style of "Onyx", which was for me the best of the Pure soundtrack. :rock

ZenDJiNN
12th October 2008, 09:55 AM
"Onyx" for me, IS Wipeout! Soon as i hear it, regardless of where i am or what i'm doing, i'm back at the console (in my head at least) racing away & feeling great! :D

Yome NetSan
14th October 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.icecubes.org.uk/images/CSHD.jpg

Available for £4,99 !!

http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/store.html

love9sick
14th October 2008, 04:03 PM
YES!!!! the original stuff was the best from Cold Storage.

Messij and Doh T were incredible.

Can't wait to get this. I can't believe they gave him the cold shoulder on this game when so many wipeout fans love his original stuff.

Can someone tell me what this 4.99 Euro would be in US$?

ZenDJiNN
14th October 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm getting a 404 on the STORE page for some reason. I'll try again later. Great news though.... really looking forward to hearing this. :D

xtriko
14th October 2008, 05:15 PM
ZenDJiNN, the site is on now! :D let's go! ;)

Frances_Penfold
14th October 2008, 05:21 PM
Fantastic! I'll be buying this tonight :)

Looovveee Cold Storage!

Note to folks looking for older Cold Storage, it seems that Tim's website has many classic Wipeout tunes available as free downloads. Very thoughtful!

sw1tch
14th October 2008, 05:22 PM
YES!!!! the original stuff was the best from Cold Storage.
Can someone tell me what this 4.99 Euro would be in US$?

It's in British pound not Euro, anyway £5=8.8$~

love9sick
14th October 2008, 05:28 PM
:redface: oops, thanks.

burt_ie
14th October 2008, 06:02 PM
I am a massive fan of Cold Storage...I just love the original WO soundtrack :)
I've just downloaded CSHD and listening to it now...cant wait to hear it in game.

lunar
14th October 2008, 06:51 PM
Many thanks to Tim, it`s a set of classical WipEout tunes. I like it - straight on my playlist, and tonight I`m gonna party like it`s 1995. :+

ZenDJiNN
14th October 2008, 08:10 PM
EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for the heads up xtriko, just downloading now. It's going straight onto my PSP tonight!! Yessss!! :D

Wip3ou7
14th October 2008, 09:02 PM
Buying this right now, thanks for the reminder!

EDIT: Got it, and it's very good. I reccomend buying it. It may not be what everyone is expecting but it's good and still growing on me. I did some racing with it and it fits the game well.

ffej071
15th October 2008, 04:25 AM
It's not bad material...just some of it doesn't really feel Wipeoutish to me.

I dont know...his sophmore album, Android Child, was a pretty huge letdown for me considering how good Melt was. I hope CT isn't losing its touch.

Maybe im loosing it.

ZenDJiNN
15th October 2008, 08:04 AM
Loving it - Sounds really good. Great tunes & @ 256k quality is good too. It's hard to top a piece of Music like "Onyx" but this is growing on me the more i listen to it. :) At £4.99 for the download, most definitely worth it.

DawnFireDragoon
15th October 2008, 11:39 PM
just gave the promo montage a listen on the cold storage site, the first half sounds 'different' the second sounds like it'll be really good for wipeout! i'll probably pick this up on pay day just as a huge fan, i don't own a psp/pulse anymore and only play hd now and then on a mates ps3 (as an old school wipeout fan, not too fussed by HD), so it'll just be for nostalgia and playing to halo 3 on the xbox probably (weird i guess, but that's all i really use personal soundtracks on at the minute!!!!)

i guess i could get in a ghost (fast alien anti gravity craft) and drive really fast on a forge (halo 3 level editor) map of a wipeout track or something!!!

TheFrostE
16th October 2008, 10:49 PM
im a huge cold storage fan, loved his work in all the wipeouts, but im really sad to say this one doesnt do it for me :(. just something about it, cant quite figure it out

Yome NetSan
17th October 2008, 07:55 AM
I don't understand your comments here.
I love CS music since the first wipEout and I loved his both albums (though I prefer MeLT than Android).
I really like this little mini album. I thing it really feels like old school wipEout to me.

DawnFireDragoon
21st October 2008, 12:32 AM
update.

ok i bought it, here's my brief review:

1.Beseitigen - kicks in straight away and keeps going with a regular beat. it's ok.
(8/10 - does the job)

2.Orchasm 8 - slowly builds, maybe good for zone actually. it's different and i can see some not liking it, but i really do and i love the wailing syth guitar sounds. not for phantom racing due to the pacing...if timing is your thing.
(9/10 - one of the best, a bit different)

3.pencil kneck - a track that in my opinion should have started 50 seconds in, the intro is a tad anoying, after that i like it and it is close to onyx-ish in style. not too close, but close...ok :)
(9/10 - another good one)

4.turbine - slow start, some male vocal over the top (very wipeout 1) then some weird flutes, odd indeed, then a kind of melodic flute sound over a faster back beat, slow intervals, more flute, then a weird break down, before the flute's return, a false end then it kicks back in to a bit more...end
(5/10: not for racing to, too much variation)

5.xyz reboot - an intro you can dance the robot to, then (i'm not great with describing this type of music as you can probably tell) but it's kinda like an alien rave on a space level of some 16 bit megadrive game)
(3/10: easily my least fav track)

6.'95 future echoes - slow build into that classic wipeout 1 beat behind the track, but not as good as most of the wipeout 1 one's, which is by no means an insult as it's pretty good.
(8/10: it's good)

overall it's a mixed bag, and opinions will vary, it's nice to get some new stuff and that lost wipeout 1 track, but there's no Onyx and no Body in Motion on here, and due to modern wipeout games having such short tracks, you only hear some of the track, especially noticible on '95 future echoes.

having said that studio liverpool lost out not putting some of these in HD, because some of them are great. and Tim should be back for the next Wipeout as a lot of it tops stuff in pulse/HD!

i'd say if you're on the fence about buying it, just don't buy a couple of beers/some chocolate/some cigarrettes one day or whatever and pick this up instead, it's worth a listen and if you have pulse and HD you've got two games to try it out on!!! see which one works best, i don't have pulse anymore so can't do a comparison!

over and out.

Medusa
23rd October 2008, 10:36 PM
CoLD SToRAGE, WipEout's one and only Mr. wRight.

My list of things to do once my personal PC is back online simply keeps growing. At least it's a good list. XD

Thimax
27th December 2008, 03:01 PM
I purchased the Cold storage hd last week, and imo, the tracks are okay but except the track "Pencil Neck", they are not as good as those from the very first WipEout.

RJ O'Connell
27th December 2008, 10:22 PM
I just wish there'd be a different price for international buyers - $10 USD for a six-track EP seems a bit...well, yeah, it's CoLD SToRAGE, but it's still marked up at a high price.

powerpurity28
11th June 2013, 05:03 AM
XYZ Reboot was my most favorite one (especially its dramatic-like chorus and techno and robot-like sounds), then Beseitigen (some of its tunes are like Onyx but a little low) next is Pencil Neck (its beats are slightly fast and energetic.) then '95 Future Echoes (Yeah this so-called "lost track of the original WipEout" is just a fine one. This track soothes me up), 5th is Orchasm 8 (Some parts are like the ones that are from the guitar that is mostly used in rock songs and some of them are from Harmonica and a few drums) then my least favorite is Turbine (the male vocal voice at the start is bothering me. Some parts is like someone is screaming and some of them are creepy and sneaky with much drums).

I say this mini-album is just fine and a very good set of tunes to play within Wipeout HD especially Fury. This is truly recommended!!