PDA

View Full Version : Pressure-sensitive D-Pad...

Wip3ou7
15th June 2008, 04:16 AM
Does WipEout HD use the the D-Pad with pressure sensitivity enabled, or is the pad in directional on/off mode? Or are the devs one step ahead of me and incorperated an option to toggle it? Or if you havent, yes you may use that one, on me ;)

AG-wolf
15th June 2008, 06:37 AM
PS2 had a pressure sensitive d-pad too :P along with the face and trigger buttons. WOfusion allowed you to toggle whether it acknowledged the pressure sensitivity or not, so I'm sure WOHD will have the same... or I guess "should" would be a better word than "will" :P

Wip3ou7
15th June 2008, 07:02 AM
The PS2 had a pressure sensitive D-Pad? Are you sure about that? I can't think of any game that used it if it really was there... the PS3 d-pad is almost like an analogue stick really. I don't think the dualshock 2 had that. I hope the devs can confirm

Paradoxx
15th June 2008, 04:48 PM
I confirm. PS2 had a pressure sensitive D-Pad :nod (see Gran Turismo for example)

Wip3ou7
15th June 2008, 06:11 PM
Really... I've played through some of GT4 and even tested the d-pad and I got no pressure sensitivity... I was testing it on a PS3...

Mano
15th June 2008, 08:18 PM
pressure sensitiveness on dualshock2 was bad, it mostly did ok with games like MGS2 and 3 just to cancel a shot, or in Pro Evo soccer (Winning Eleven) to kick the ball, for other games it wasnt as good as other analog devices, in other words it did ok for inputs that didnt require precission.

steering does require precision, i didnt knew ds2 had a pressure sensitive d-pad, but i do have a tendency to use dpads as they were analog, my quick taps are also light, and my holding a button is a bit harder, due to the need of reliability of input, it definitely sucked big time for GT4, those games are played way better with a steering wheel, or if not possible at least analog stick.

Wip3ou7
15th June 2008, 10:30 PM
ANYWAY, wether DS2 supported it or not (and i still wont believe that it did untill I see it first hand, I've had discussions about this on the playstation underground forums before) I'd really like an answer from colin or one of the other devs for the original question...

EDIT: I would actually perfer a non-analogue d-pad response

Chrono
16th June 2008, 08:58 AM
My opinion doesn't go too far, but I'll give it. I've been following this post for a couple days now. I worked at a video game retailer for over a year, and I never heard that the d-pad was pressure sensitive. There is no disputing the fact that the DualShock II has pressure sensitivity on its command buttons (X,O, etc) and the top shoulder buttons. For a great example, look at the EA American Football games, the Ace Combat games also use a pressure sensitive SQUARE button for map display.. However, I think it's alittle farfetch'd (like the pokemon) to think that the d-pad is pressure sensitive, as more games would have used this feature. I can't think of any game I've played that has said feature.
There's a difference between feathering a D-pad and it being pressure sensitive. :)

In response to Mano, explain what you are talking about in the MGS games, I'll test it and back you up if you end up being right... though I doubt it =P

rdmx
16th June 2008, 11:28 AM
If you press the square button in mgs2 down, but let it go slowly, it will not fire your weapon.
That's what I found in the demo at least.

Lance
16th June 2008, 04:45 PM
... a little farfetch'd (like the pokemon)...

I've always wondered why the only living beings on the planet are pokemon and humans. Not one ant, not one cat, no dogs, no animals but pokemon. And all of them are pets or slaves or wild, with no dominant species as there might be on an alien planet without humans. Most pokemon seem to be considered potential slaves used for fights. Reminds one of bull-baiting or cockfighting, but without the actual deaths. When did that sort of abuse of living creatures become okay?

omega329
16th June 2008, 05:59 PM
I saw a cat once, it was... wait... that was mu!
OH MY GOD! conspiracy!

AG-wolf
17th June 2008, 11:19 PM
See attached image.

First-Generation Dual Shock 2, hasn't been opened in years :P

Chrono
18th June 2008, 09:55 AM
That's pretty definitive.

Wip3ou7
19th June 2008, 02:45 AM
Okay well I guess 99% of developers just didnt utilize it.

ANYWAY, THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD.

How does WOHD use it?

Darkdrium777
19th June 2008, 05:35 PM
We already know there is a meter that indicates how much you are pressing down on X displayed on the HUD.

Wip3ou7
20th June 2008, 04:17 AM
So the accelleration and brakes will be pressure sensitive too? wipeout is traditionally just "go"...

BulletWraith
20th June 2008, 10:11 AM
accelerate has always been analogue, I shudder to think of the air breaks being analogue though, the coordination would kill me

chur
-zer0shen

Wip3ou7
20th June 2008, 07:22 PM
when you say, accellerate has always been analogue, you mean in fusion? because the N64, original psx controller, and PSP do not have analogue buttons....

Asayyeah
21st June 2008, 12:07 AM
Negcon got Analogue buttons

Wip3ou7
21st June 2008, 01:04 AM
Ok... I've never used a negCon, so I've always played WipEout with non-analogue buttons. I assume that most of the people in the world who have played wipeout havent experienced it with analogue controls.

Asayyeah
21st June 2008, 01:47 PM
They are missing a lot, trust me : get one and you discover a complete new way of playing your precious ol'-good-Wipeout games

/ end of Negcon spam transmission./

:P

Wip3ou7
21st June 2008, 07:06 PM
get one and you discover a complete new way of playing your precious ol'-good-Wipeout games

Hmm... after playing WipEout for 12 years with digital controls, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

G-Hob
22nd June 2008, 03:16 AM
I don't get playing Wip3out with the D-pad when the more precise analog stick is sitting right there unused.

Lance
22nd June 2008, 03:47 PM
I always found the spring of the analogue stick to be too weak; it tends to give either excess movement away from center position or insufficient movement back toward center, so it never felt precise to me, nor fast enough. I am basing this on my MadCatz dual-shock clone, the only one of the type that I have a lot of experience with.

If it had been a short stick with a stronger spring, in other words, like the Dreamcast controller [both OEM and MadCatz], I probably would have used analogue with WO.

Chrono
22nd June 2008, 10:23 PM
. I am basing this on my MadCatz dual-shock clone, the only one of the type that I have a lot of experience with.

That explains a lot. Mad Catz is the worst 3rd party peripheral developer. When I worked at Gamestop, I would recommend a better 3rd party company (like Pelican) every time someone tried to buy MadCatz.

Lance
22nd June 2008, 10:30 PM
The MadCatz Dreamcast controller is really excellent; I wish I hadn't broken it. Now I only have the three original SEGA Dreamcast controllers. They're very good but they don't have the wider angle of the 'handles', nor do they have the settable controls that can be reassigned no matter what the game allows.