PDA

View Full Version : Help with "shallow" barrel rolls?

Frances_Penfold
10th June 2008, 02:25 AM
Hello, I was wondering if folks could help me a bit with the consistent hitting of barrel rolls from "shallow" jumps and track topography in Wipeout Pure.

I have been playing Wipeout Pure for a while now, I know the tracks pretty well and have some decent time trial times. Yet I still struggle with consistent execution of barrel rolls on some tracks.

So here's an example that probably everybody is familiar with-- Vineta K. There are two shallow drop-offs on this track as well as at least two instances of track topography that can be used to get air and perform barrel rolls. I do succeed in hitting these barrel rolls sometimes but more often than not, I do the BR but land too quickly to actually get the speed boost.

I have experimented with the direction of my approach to the Vineta K drop offs and topography... I have experimented with pitch control in approaching and going over the drop offs and topography... I have experimented with hitting vs. avoiding the speed bumps prior to the drop offs and topography. But still the success rate for the barrel rolls is probably less than 20%.

My records for Vineta K aren't too bad... for Flash, which I have played the most, I have 0:26.70 as a lap record, which I guess would be around no. 9 of the 31 records. But Mad-Ice, and Asayyeah, and others at the top of the chart (less than 26 seconds), I would guess you guys are consistently hitting the barrel rolls and running really smooth runs at the same time. My best records on Vineta K involve tight runs with no barrel rolls.

Any tips? Does a time trial runner just accept low percentages of successful barrel rolls in Wipeout Pure as part of the challenge? Any pointers would be appreciated :)

Asayyeah
10th June 2008, 07:40 PM
Great post Frances.
I am gonna try to help and answer you from my own experience.

1st : Are you using Dpad or Nub? i am racing Dpad and press my whole left thumb on the dpad : when i need to do a barrell roll i move as quickly as i can from left to right multiple time my thumb ( without releasing it from the dapd)

2nd : when you have to do a BR try to start your movement a milisec before jumping : that is useful. Same for the pitch : you can use the down arrow Dpad to give you a little height but i am not using that much. I also noticed if you using sideshift right before a jump the BR is not working ( the 2nd drop at Vineta K by instance)

3rd : Designed for the last BR with the boost at Vineta K. after the last drop , be as much as possible at the left side of the jump, land left , there's like a mini bump on the left next to a boostpad, immediately when you go out from that cavern, throw your turbo between the left wall and that boostpad : that BR is easy to do.

I can do the 1st and last BR at Vineta K pretty easily ( 9 out of ten), the main issue is the 2nd drop ( i have like 10 % success on it)

Funily enough i played pure on Vineta K today in free play : never succeeded that 2nd drop BR , even the last one was not easy at beginning, but had a good lap of 19.66 with big fat Triakis done with 1 unique BR !

Frances_Penfold
11th June 2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks much, Asayyeah. Much appreciated :+

I use the d-pad for playing Wipeout Pure. I try to do the L-R-L movement with the D-pad as quickly as possible, and try to do the movement just prior to the jump. But I will try harder and see if that helps! :)

Thanks for the caution about side-shifting... I use side-shifting A LOT in Wipeout Pure, and wonder if that is part of my problem. I will experiment with that, and also more with the pitch control.

I'm not sure if the bump you describe for the final stretch is the one that I try to use or if it is a different one. I will look at that in a few minutes. But whatever I am trying to use, my success rate is way less than 90%! So I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks again-- I will come back to this thread once I have had a chance to try these techniques :)

borell
11th June 2008, 09:36 AM
If I remember correctly, I think it is easier to succeed with a BR on the first drop if you stay on the left hand side of the track. I usually do not try to make a BR on the second drop — when I do, I rarely succeed.

Mad-Ice
11th June 2008, 10:27 AM
Great to see people are still enjoying Pure!

I think Arnaud pretty much covered everything! I too use D-pad and never leave my thumb of the D-Pad. I basically rub the D-pad multiple times left and right untill I get the succesful BR. Pitch up or down is not nescessary to be able to BR on the shallow jumps on Vineta K. But pitching down all the time while you race is very important in Pure, just before the jumps release the pitch.

Try to be in the middle of track while going over the first jump, at the second jump, try to stay at the left middle side of the track while going over the jump. Indeed, the second jump BR is the toughest one, but the most rewarding one to get fast lap times. When you get the speed from the second jump BR, hit your boost around the area like Arnaud said and BR. Experiment with it, because you have to keep as low as possible to be able to hit a top time and of course you need 3 BR's a lap to enter the top 3 or 5, I think.

Good luck!

Asayyeah
11th June 2008, 08:49 PM
I even find very hard to get that 3rd BR when you succeed on that 2nd jump to do the 2nd BR. i think it's a matter of timing with the turbo but i remind with my phantom 19.20 i only did the 2 first BR and missed the last one. ( for non phantom speed class i don't remember)

Frances : after the 2nd jump you got 2 speed pads get the last one go on your left and 1 milisec after you throw your turbo; you got enough to BR with that small bump

Frances_Penfold
21st June 2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks again for the help, guys-- I am trying these ideas and getting somewhat better times-- at least I can consistently hit 1 or 2 barrel rolls per lap :)

I don't think I can crack the top 3 based on my current skills but I'd like to enter the top 5 or 6 for Vineta K, and then maybe revisit the course later in the year.

Asayyeah
26th June 2008, 07:43 PM
that is what i did ( revisited Vineta's) on pal with and without the tip.
With the tip i got a stunning 18.92 done with 2 BR ( not a pl tho)
and in normal condition with no pitching at all i did a true perfect lap with 3 BR all speed boost taken , result : 19.08

RJ O'Connell
2nd July 2008, 03:16 AM
How can you guys keep pitching the nose of the ship down and turn around corners? I always end up grinding the walls, clearly there are more secrets.

I did a GP-distance Free Run here trying to get a sub-20 second lap time. This shallow barrel rolling just isn't working for me. T_T