PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Grav IS now a reality!

lovedr
8th June 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi,

For those who missed it and have access to the bbc iplayer, Visions of the Future which was aired on uk bbc2 this week, highlighted that anti-grav cars, invisibility, teleportation, etc amongst others will all be a reality in the next few decades (or so).

It was chiefly to do with quantum mechanics, future atomic research and more techie stuff but I thought it was well worth a watch?!

link to watch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=vision

enjoy,

rich

Darkdrium777
8th June 2008, 01:58 PM
A region free version (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwfFiRr88g) (I know I know we can discuss the legality, but you may want to watch it first. ;))

lovedr
8th June 2008, 02:04 PM
good idea, i didn't think to check youtube for our non-uk viewers ;)

Sausehuhn
8th June 2008, 03:12 PM
Can't find the Anti-Gravity part, someone got a link?

lovedr
8th June 2008, 03:54 PM
it's on briefly relatively near the start when he's discussing the japanese mag-trains but he does state that anti-grav cars etc will be a reality one very day soon :)

Sausehuhn
8th June 2008, 04:09 PM
Well then you mean the part where he's talking about magnetic effects?
That's no Anti-Gravity :)

lovedr
8th June 2008, 04:53 PM
lol, well if we can have ultra-fast "hover-cars" powered by super-conducting magnets thats good enough for me, i'm not gonna split hairs over the technology...

even the presenter states it as an anti-grav effect and he knows the terminology ;)

i want one now...

Chill
8th June 2008, 05:29 PM
We shouldn't have to follow imaginery rules just because Wipeout sais Anti-Gravity to make Wipeout happen... But I don't think it's going to be very soon, I think it'll most likely be a while longer than we think... nature has always a few or more obstacles to throw at us... ;) But it would be nice to make meat and food out of nothing to help the starving poor... And yes, I would love to be invisible in a young pretty ladies bedroom... :twisted

mdhay
8th June 2008, 06:03 PM
There speaks a man with a vivid imagination.

KIGO1987
8th June 2008, 09:25 PM
it's on briefly relatively near the start when he's discussing the japanese mag-trains but he does state that anti-grav cars etc will be a reality one very day soon :)

Just talking about that a few days ago funnily enough right here;
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4969

KIGO1987
8th June 2008, 09:52 PM
A region free version (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwfFiRr88g) (I know I know we can discuss the legality, but you may want to watch it first. ;))

Very interesting. The BBC has quite a few good programs on; like this, Top Gear, and there was that show on in the 80s and 90s called Beyond 2000. That was a really interesting show, use to watch it all the time when i was a child.

Lance
10th June 2008, 11:36 PM
thread title by lovedr > "Anti-Grav IS now a reality!"

No, it isn't.

And the potential uses of gravity control and magnetic levitation are very different from each other. Magnetic levitation has been a reality for decades, yet is still not widely applied. Nor likely to be. There are still too many .. um.. impracticalities. One of these is lack of precision steering control. This prevents maglev vehicles from being used in high-density traffic the way cars are. Maglev ''roadway'' is also prohibitively expensive when anti-gravity would not be, and would not even require roads.

Task
11th June 2008, 01:22 PM
That's right.
Where we're going, we have no need of "roads".

8 D

lovedr
12th June 2008, 07:57 PM
that's a quality reply Lance.

...maybe not a reality, but a programme on a topic that may be of interest to some.

Lance
12th June 2008, 10:46 PM
But seemingly not to you. ;) :D "lol, well if we can have ultra-fast "hover-cars" powered by super-conducting magnets thats good enough for me..."

quantum-avatar
18th December 2008, 11:35 AM
Ouch! Don't f**k with the Moderators :naughty ;)

It is a very interesting topic the nature of the elusive gravitational force lies right at the heart of physics both in string theory and quantum gravity. If interested the following link is to a paper on the topic produced for NASA.

http://keelynet.com/gravity/putnasa.htm

The section on THE VACUUM AS THE SOURCE OF GRAVITY AND INERTIA has a lot of potential :)

If anyone here ever manages to build one I would love to take it for a spin :hyper

defor
2nd February 2009, 05:39 AM
I prefer Cat/Toast powered anti-gravity vehicles.

omega329
13th February 2009, 09:24 PM
They're good, but eventually the cat throws up...

MR-RICO84
30th March 2009, 04:56 PM
Surely the term "anti gravity" refers to any technology that overcomes the effects of gravity? :|

Lance
30th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Only if it applies reverse gravity 'waves' or whatever gravity is; my countering gravity by lifting a glass of bourbon and cola with my hand is not anti-gravity.

MR-RICO84
30th March 2009, 11:49 PM
Only if it applies reverse gravity 'waves' or whatever gravity is; my countering gravity by lifting a glass of bourbon and cola with my hand is not anti-gravity.

That is exactly my point! gravity is the force of attraction between 2 or more masses! Therefore any attempt no matter how basic to overcome this force of attraction can be deemed "anti gravity" Including lifting your glass of bourbon!
(And cola)

Anti- meaning against or opposed, so anything working against the force of gravity is Anti-gravity!;)

Lance
31st March 2009, 05:00 AM
A semantic argument, but in the classical technical science-fiction sense, it has always meant negative gravity, in the same manner as an anti-proton is a particle of the same mass and general character as a proton, but with an opposite charge. Hence anti-gravity is a force of the same character as gravity but with an opposite effect, lift instead drop, up instead of down.
Anti-matter, anti-proton, anti-gravity. They all cancel out their 'positive', 'pro', opposites with a similar but opposite 'charge', not with just any force of any kind.

MR-RICO84
31st March 2009, 03:28 PM
So I am right in reality, and you are right in a classic technical sci-fi sense?:lol

Lance
31st March 2009, 07:47 PM
:D I question your definition of reality. ;) Come to think of it, I question the very idea of 'reality. :turbowink:

MR-RICO84
1st April 2009, 04:21 AM
"but in the classical technical science-fiction sense, it has always meant negative gravity":naughty

You may question my grip on reality all you like dear Bourbon imbiber! When you uttered this sentence you conceded your argument! I postulated the concept of gravity force as acting upon 2 or more masses and the resulting attraction between them based in the cold hard arena of physics, you in reply postulated the concept of anti gravity in the realm of science fiction!

My grip is firm! Yours would seem to be somewhat more :loltenuous:banzai

Lance
1st April 2009, 11:47 PM
lol

Au, contraire, anti-gravity thus far exists ONLY in the realm of science-fiction; reality has nothing to do with it. :D

MR-RICO84
2nd April 2009, 09:00 PM
LOL!!

I think this is where we are differing! Semantics indeed i feel. You have a vision of a technology that as yet does not exist, where as I have a bee in my bonnet about the actual meaning of the term Anti-gravity!:o
let us bore these poor zone members no more and return to our bourbon!

Lance
2nd April 2009, 09:06 PM
mmmmmmm
Yes. I still have some Coca-Cola left. Mix with a modest three-year old but well-made bourbon and one has the perfect ZenBlend. Caffeine, sugar, and alcohol for simultaneous alertness, energy, and relaxed attitude.

JaceMc
21st April 2009, 04:18 AM
I think my head just exploded. I can't take much more of this 'sci-ense' talk.

DividedXZero
21st May 2009, 08:08 PM
I've throughly enjoyed this read, and quite thought provoking.
good stuff.

ACE-FLO
21st May 2009, 08:50 PM
So like, aint Air-Planes, choppers, and harriers with horizontal take off etc... not considered as anti-gravity machinery? I mean they go against the flow of nature.

the old saying "What goes up, must come down" explains gravity in simple terms... So then wouldn't anti-gravity mean the opposite? - What goes up goes up up and away?

If so, then wouldnt rockets fit into the Anti-Gravity bracket?

This concept is starting confuse me.

... and typing from a PSP is sucky otherwise I woulda elaborated more!

komatos
22nd May 2009, 02:29 AM
The Physics view of antigravity is as an opposite of one of the four fundamental forces of nature (electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, and gravity). Whereas gravity attracts objects, anti-gravity repels objects. That's the basic layman's version.

I could go into some mid-level physics concepts but that'd require me typing a dissertation that'd bore most of y'all here. (Coming from a high-energy physics nut who, as a high school student choosing a college back in the late 1980's, once dreamed of working on the Superconducting Supercollider that was never finished in Texas, USA). The physics behind futuristic, Star Trek type technologies (i.e. teleportation, antigravity, faster-than-light [i.e. Warp Speed] travel, time travel) is a major hobby of mine and I read any layman's type book on the subject I can.

ACE-FLO
25th May 2009, 01:57 AM
anti-gravity repels objects... if that is the case, then wouldn't the AG-track surface repel the ship away from track into the clouds? I'm probably wrong! But - I'm really wanting to learn more.

Komatos, thank you for taking the time to explain this to me... can you recommend any books that can explain Anti-Gravity technology to me? Would be greatly appreciated!

komatos
25th May 2009, 02:51 AM
Whilst you must always take wikipedia on face value (with a grain of salt since anybody can edit/update it), the several page article there is a good start. It covers several different views as to what people interpret antigravity to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gravity

As far as Wipeout type hovercraft ships are concerned, my guess is they're using the same principles as mentioned near the bottom of the article (Magnetic Levitation description under the heading "Conventional effects that mimic anti-gravity effects"). This has been proven on a small scale with the superconducting experiments in the 90's. It's also the basis of the high-speed MagLev trains in Japan and Europe. These are easier to run and control since they're on tracks/rails and the magnetic load can be balanced equally. A Wipeout style track and vehicles are much further off since there's more freeform movement. Just like the railroads came in the mid-1800s, so have the MagLev bullet trains come before the regular consumer/racing vehicles.

Here's a wikipedia link on MagLev technology and the trains that use it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev_(transport)

Alot of these theories are just that: theories and hypotheses. Not much has been concretely demonstrated or proven yet and been reproducible by other scientists. Although I can see MagLev AG hovercraft appearing sometime during the 21st century (maybe even in my lifetime; before I even die in the middle/latter half of the century if I'm old enough to live to 70 or 80).

ACE-FLO
25th May 2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you Komatos... I will be studying this tonight...

Aeroracer
13th July 2009, 12:29 PM
I havn't got a clue what it's called but i read in the paper years ago about some powder some american scientists found that had a anti weight and actually made stuff lighter when applied to it. It was found in a egyptian excavation but took like 80 years before anyone actually clocked that it was a new compound, they originally just thought it was some type of dust. I rmmember they said it was derived from gold. Can someone remember this cos it was in lots of papers at the time.

Anyway that would be cool to make a wipeout ship out of.

Edit i got interested and wanted to know if i was imagining what i read when i was a child, i think this is what i was talking about.

http://graal.co.uk/whitepowdergold.html

NightArh
13th July 2009, 12:39 PM
Here's a wikipedia link on MagLev technology and the trains that use it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev_(transport)

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR-Maglev Here is the correct link.
Also try to find TV program from Extreme Engineering Series on Discovery Channel about Trans-Atlantic Tunnel. There are very interesting engineer thoughts.

Actually magnetic levitation works not like anti gravitation ;) Let's wait for new expetiments in Large Hadron Collider and new physic theories

Gravity is not a force by Einstein at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZWrD1sfzs Here is smal video that shows magnetic forces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJ-4lnwrck - Here is very interesting video too

Task
15th July 2009, 04:48 AM
anti-gravity repels objects... if that is the case, then wouldn't the AG-track surface repel the ship away from track into the clouds? I'm probably wrong! But - I'm really wanting to learn more.
Belmondo made a discovery, it was of an anti-gravity _force_. That is, just as there is a "force of gravity" he found a way to generate a "force of anti-gravity". He put one of these anti-gravity generators* in an aerodynamic craft and the famous "first AG speed craft" desert test was the result. The generator causes the ship the repel itself from mass, the ground below it. This power likely dissapates by a cube power. This is why the craft "hover" over the ground, float, and bounce. As they get close to the ground they are repelled more forcefully, and when they have great altitude they are almost completely under gravity's sway (their speed and the aerodynamics of their craft being all that keeps them aloft at that point).

While I have not studied as much as komatos likely has, I definitely know me some science. 8 )

* I've actually always envisaged the Belmondo AG generator as being a "plate" that emits the AG force, this plate forming the base of the AG craft and powered by the onboard engines. This is likely my own fanciful imaginings, but I like it.

ACE-FLO
15th July 2009, 11:49 AM
Hello Task, Previously I wrote:

the old saying "What goes up, must come down" explains gravity in simple terms... So then wouldn't anti-gravity mean the opposite? - What goes up goes up up and away?

but it would be more accurate to say, "What does down, gets repelled upwards" right Task? - the polar opposite of my previous statement!

This is indeed a very interesting technology, which I do believe will become a reality within our own lifetimes. Possibly powered by Hydrogen Fuell Cells (as the current trend in alternative power sources indicate)...

BTW Lance - you merged two posts together - but the first post wasn't mine - however I seem to have inherited it!!! Interesting, that Bourbon must be gooood!!! lol

Lance
15th July 2009, 03:47 PM
@ACE-FLO: Did I? When was it? I don't think I merged any posts on this page, so if I did merge in this thread, it must be quite some time back.

Task
16th July 2009, 12:32 AM
A merge has messed up, here is the text from the "lost post":

i thought lance and mr-rico were heading into quantum mechanics lol

al this anti gravity stuff should be taken with a lot of :burger and :donut to distract yourself a little and avoid a brain meltdown :)