PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD: Is it worth £350?

adelheid
2nd June 2008, 09:02 PM
If I buy a PS3 it will be only to play the new Wipeout (like I did with the PSP/PS2) so the game will, in reality, cost me £350, so I need to know if it will be worth it, i.e. should I start saving my pennies now?

DawnFireDragoon
2nd June 2008, 10:33 PM
if anything would have made me buy a ps3 this year it could have been a new wipeout game, but HD been what it is, will not make me part with my pennies. maybe the full blown wipeout will! we shall see. i'm honestly more excited about the port of pulse to the ps2!

Wip3ou7
2nd June 2008, 11:20 PM
yes its worth it

Rapier Racer
2nd June 2008, 11:40 PM
When you consider all the features the PS3 has and the games on offer I think buying it for one PSN game alone sounds a little silly. You seriously won't ever use it for anything else? Thats a little short sighted.

Sure Wipeout was a major factor in my getting a PS3 but not the sole factor, but I would have one anyway there being a Wipeout for it or not.

I don't think you can justify paying 300 quid for a console just to play one PSN game on.

Norfolk'n'Clue
3rd June 2008, 12:39 PM
Agree with RR. I bought mine largely because of the the promise of HD and MGS4 (although only one of those is likely in the near future).

Once I heard how quiet it was (or not heard perhaps, depends on pov), I've retired my 360 from media serving duties in favour of the PS3, so it gets used pretty much all the time now!

...and if you like Tekken, Tekken 5 online is a good wheeze too at 15 quid. Not that I do very well, as I tend to get insta-zapped by everyone, but it's still good :)

adelheid
3rd June 2008, 04:12 PM
When you consider all the features the PS3 has and the games on offer I think buying it for one PSN game alone sounds a little silly. You seriously won't ever use it for anything else? Thats a little short sighted.

Well what else am I going to do with the PS3? Watch DVDs? I have a PC (with both HD and Blu Ray thingies) for that.
Go online and play Unneccesarily Bloody Shooty Tournament 12 against hordes of 10 year olds who do nothing but scream "noob!" down the microphone? PC.
Download Mortal Kombat Online and waste yet another 5 years of my life memorising all of the combos, fatalities, brutalities, babalities, and secrets only to be whipped in under 10 seconds by my G/F again? PC.
In short:
Seriously, that is all it will be used for because anything else it can do my PC can do better... I might use the online thingy to play against real people for a change.

Sure Wipeout was a major factor in my getting a PS3 but not the sole factor, but I would have one anyway there being a Wipeout for it or not.

As I said above all of the extra stuff that the PS3 can do my PC can already do, but better.... and thanks to my tinkering it can do things a PS3 cant do, like play HD-DVD disks or bypass the BBFC censorship on my p0rn. :D

I don't think you can justify paying 300 quid for a console just to play one PSN game on.

I did it with the PS2, the PSP and the Nintendo 64. I know it sounds very rabid-fanboy-ish but it is with good reason:
I still have my PS1 and all of the games... guess which three are the only three I still play. The same goes for my PS2, I only play the one game out of the twin towers of stacked boxes of crap.

I'm simply being realistic, ultimately I will only be playing Wipeout.

eLhabib
3rd June 2008, 04:33 PM
well, it seems like you already decided to buy a PS3 for wipEout alone anyway. so, why are you asking if it's worth it?
To some it is, to some it isn't. If I was low on spending money, I wouldn't even think of buying a PS3 just for one game, even if that one game is wipEout.

Rapier Racer
3rd June 2008, 05:12 PM
Ooohh your PC has a cell processor better than the PS3s eh? :dizzy As for playing movies, I guess if your PC monitor is bigger than your TV? Unless your TV is your monitor, you should note that the PS3 upscales DVDs to an excellent quality and is theee best Blu Ray movie player there currently is. No one cares about HD DVD and its 12 movies lol.

You might have bought consoles in the past for one game but then, this isn't really a full game is it? It's a very very nice looking update to the 2 handheld games, with what should be good online features, which we'll have to wait and see about.

Just buy one! You know you want it...really.

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2008, 05:44 PM
Actually you're propably buying it for two games.
If SL is still working on a major installment on for the PS3 after WOHD, that is.

Ota
3rd June 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that was denied earlier in an interview. Haven't got any source though.

eLhabib
3rd June 2008, 06:02 PM
They're not, afaik. I guess the success of HD will decide if there ever will be a full wipEout title after that...

Rapier Racer
3rd June 2008, 06:35 PM
Oh fantastic, I have nothing but the fullest confidence in the seemingly highly competent marketing team as they did an awesome job with Pulse :+

omega329
3rd June 2008, 06:40 PM
Wait! Pulse is actually out? ;)

DawnFireDragoon
3rd June 2008, 06:48 PM
they're seriously not working on a full blown wipeout for the ps3! i'm both shocked and devastated. wow.

AUTO-PILOT
3rd June 2008, 06:55 PM
They cannot decide the future of wipeout games, based on psn game, lot of peaple don't have internet,:brickwall if only the game was realesead in BLU-RAY:+

Rapier Racer
3rd June 2008, 07:21 PM
I would assume, they would be comparing it with other PSN games, maybe TEKKEN, em, what other decent looking PSN games are there that aren't on Blu Ray as well?

Oh and for the record I don't personally like Tekken. (BORING just MK with all the best stuff missing)

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2008, 10:35 PM
Go online and play Unneccesarily Bloody Shooty Tournament 12 against hordes of 10 year olds who do nothing but scream "noob!" down the microphone? PC.
Just so you know UT3 has incredibly crappy microphone chat so there are no hordes of ten year olds yelling on both platforms. Only people saying "Can anyone hear me?" and others typing "Yes but please don't use it there is too much static." :D