PDA

View Full Version : So is this game worth getting any good at?

Dav657
2nd June 2008, 03:32 AM
well am looking into getting into wipeout again. I wanna stick with pulse but it just doesnt have that motivation that pure had. so how many vets made the cross over anyways?

Avenger2197
2nd June 2008, 04:51 AM
I may not be a vet on these forums, but i can say definitely stick with it. Pulse may not be the best in the series, it's still a wipeout game though. Despite all of the problems, it is a good game.(at least in my opinion):)

I even still play fusion on the rare occasion that I want to be frustrated.:g

kanar
2nd June 2008, 09:31 AM
Hi,

You should give it a try, for sure. Online play & ship design = great gameplay.

Albino Ace
2nd June 2008, 11:37 AM
Amen to what Kanar said...Amen! 8)

Custom paint jobs, online multiplayer...IMO, what more could one ask for? :P

Not all of the tracks are boring, dull, or uninspired...I find De Konstruct, Metropia, Platinum Rush and Outpost to be rather interesting venues myself. :nod

lunar
2nd June 2008, 11:53 AM
If you enjoy it enough to practice there`s a hardcore of really talented and highly-trained Phantom-class players online, but you will need to practice or face the consequences! ;) But, like anything, if it doesn`t excite you then you might be better off doing something else.

Dav657
2nd June 2008, 02:23 PM
So is the phantom any good in this game? I cant really bash that part cause I never got to it. So i might give it another try.

stin
2nd June 2008, 02:53 PM
Never got to it on Phantom?, Why not practice much as you can to get used to it.

I do really like all the games so I`m not complaining.

stevie:)

Rapier Racer
2nd June 2008, 07:02 PM
The online is a great addition to the series and obviously we're all grateful for it. IMO though Pulse online is only good if you can tolerate the bugs plus the games apparently inability to show ships on the screen in the position they are really in half the time.

Dav657
2nd June 2008, 08:28 PM
RR so how is your stance on pulse? Compared to pure and which one are you playing more of?

Rapier Racer
2nd June 2008, 11:28 PM
Overall, I've played Pure much much more then I will ever play Pulse. I don't think it's track designs can stand up to Pures in any way, its got a fair few bugs, I don't like the way the weapons have been made less effective and I'm not talking about stopping power I mean the speed they travel at you can practically keep up with a plasma at Phantom, a lot of use that is thank you very much.

It's hard to explain, lets say Pulse feels a little soulless compared to Pure.

Now I'm not sitting here saying Pure is perfect, its handling is a little slidey although its only made to feel worse if you've gotten used to Pulse handling. It's Phantom also is not the fastest I think it's equal to or maybe a little faster than Pulse Rapier, but hey if speed was the most important factor lets get the flags out for Wipeout Fusion eh?

As of this time, my Pulse play is decreasing sharply I'd say my time spent playing them is like a 70%/30% split in favor of Pure.

Dav657
3rd June 2008, 03:14 AM
Haha nice fusion reference. Yea the weapons definitely feel toned down *Cough*Plasma*Cough* Pulse is a really good game am not going to lie but the ai feels to much like fusion. And fyi fusion was my first experience in the wipeout series. Thank god i came here and found wipeout xl and 3se!

ZenDJiNN
11th June 2008, 05:31 PM
As of this time, my Pulse play is decreasing sharply I'd say my time spent playing them is like a 70%/30% split in favor of Pure.

I'm finding that as well. Just recently (In the last few months) i've played Pulse a little, but i've played Pure a LOT!! :) They're both good, but Pure cuts it for me in ways that Pulse just can't. Looking forward to HD though..... i hope that it lives up to the hype.

Chill
13th June 2008, 04:53 AM
Well my thoughts for Pulse have increased lately... I'm actually starting to grow a lot more accustomed to it than before, and even don't mind the grid layout anymore!!! But Pure is still above it, but I just don't feel right going back to Pure before beating Pulse, so I'm on the path... on the second row of grids finally... ;) Now I just need to learn the downloading music aspect, and need those damn packs to arrive for US...

Frances_Penfold
13th June 2008, 02:55 PM
I am playing Pure right now instead of Pulse.

But I think (and hope) that in the long run, for me, as a mostly handheld gamer, that both games will co-exist peacefully in my library of most-played games :)

I like each game but for somewhat different reasons-- I think Pure has more soul, I like its slidey-ness and its track diversity, plus for me, there is the strong pull of nostalgia-- Wipeout Pure was the first Wipeout game I ever really played.

On the other hand, I enjoy Pulse for its distinct ship driving mechanics, its online play, and also its track diversity. (I know some folks don't like Pulse courses so well and dislike the mag strips, but I myself do enjoy them.)

So for me as a handheld gamer, it's a perfect situation-- two great Wipeout games, each different but still "Wipeout," for me to sink my teeth into!

ZenDJiNN
15th June 2008, 12:34 PM
+1 on all of that Frances. :) Same for me, Pure was my first Wipeout experience, and i'm still playing it as much as (if not more than) Pulse. Pure definitely has Soul!! :)