PDA

View Full Version : Clean HD racing video

eLhabib
1st June 2008, 07:33 PM
To get you your HD fix while you wait, look what I found:
Swiss gaming site 2play.ch has a video of wipEout HD (http://ps3.2play.ch/videos/game/570_Wipeout_HD_Video_Trailer.html) gameplay up, almost 10 minutes long, untainted of any annoying comments, just simple - and remarkably clean - racing. Maybe some of you can use this to get a better image of what this game is like (or was like, this is all preview build footage). Apart from the out-of-proportion ratio of the video and a few odd distortions, this is a pretty nice video, showing off different tracks and zone mode. You can also notice the sweet sound effects of the thrusters kicking in (after the hairpin at Chenghou (though it sounds way better on 5.1), and also the nice sound change when airborn.

Interesting detail is that 2play.ch claims to know that wipEout HD is coming out mid-June (http://ps3.2play.ch/news/read/2008/2204_Wipeout_HD_Doch_erst_im_Juni....html). But I guess we can't believe a word they're saying there...

infoxicated
1st June 2008, 07:59 PM
Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of WipEout HD, because if the delay has fixed my major issue with the game as it was, I might well relent and pick it up.

Not before I see footage, though. :)

TheFrostE
1st June 2008, 08:03 PM
video looks sweet, cant wait to fly my feisar in that beauty. what WAS your major issue anyways fox?

Sugar_from_OTW
1st June 2008, 08:27 PM
Here is the link (http://video.2play.ch/previews/2008/wipeouthd_preview.wmv) if streaming a 124 Mb file in 10 mins is an issue.

Mad-Ice
1st June 2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks eLhabib, that is a real good video. Nice track shots at the beginning of the video. I enjoyed a lot.

I am really curious if HD is faster then Pulse and if we are able to beat times made with PSP on these tracks. So we should be able to beat times made on tracks from Pure easily.

eLhabib
1st June 2008, 09:12 PM
I was able to beat the Moa Therma lap time on the preview version after only a few days of playing, so I guess it is indeed a bit faster. Maybe this has changed since the preview build, though.

RJ O'Connell
1st June 2008, 09:13 PM
Makes me want it even more. I really liked the way the colour schemes change on the track as you get to each new level in Zone.

But I'm still not very keen on the Assegai model. :/

eLhabib
1st June 2008, 09:45 PM
Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of WipEout HD, because if the delay has fixed my major issue with the game as it was, I might well relent and pick it up.

Not before I see footage, though. :)

The major issue?
So you're saying they are actually thinking about removing Barrel Rolls???

Hellfire_WZ
1st June 2008, 10:25 PM
That gave me goosebumps watching that. Gorgeous bit of footage there :)

infoxicated
1st June 2008, 10:37 PM
The major issue?
So you're saying they are actually thinking about removing Barrel Rolls???
**** as they are, Barrel Rolls aren't a technical issue - they're a game design issue. :)

eLhabib
1st June 2008, 10:41 PM
well, you didn't say technical, you said my major issue with the game, and by now you are complaining about BRs in 2 out of 3 posts or so it seems ;)
So, what is your major issue with the game then?

infoxicated
1st June 2008, 10:59 PM
If you didn't spot it while you were reviewing it, then it wasn't an issue for you.

Darkdrium777
2nd June 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking about the HUD tbh. That's too bad though, if it ain't fixed...

Dr. Angryman
2nd June 2008, 02:52 AM
I just saw the vid and WOW.... :eek

Just wish the Zone ship would explode....

Sugar_from_OTW
2nd June 2008, 02:56 AM
If you didn't spot it while you were reviewing it, then it wasn't an issue for you.

I didn't think it was as jarring as I've seen in previous footage.

Chill
2nd June 2008, 07:13 AM
Well all the sound and lighting effects made that game rather beautiful and badass looking I think... ;) And the turbo pad effect, really reflects how the pilot would really feel if run over one, nice idea... Hmm, interesting sound effects through the race... that effect with the music through tunnels and jumps kinda gives me a bit of an uneasy feeling though... just to state...

I would probably want to marry it if their wasn't such a thing as the female, love and sex...

eLhabib
2nd June 2008, 10:19 AM

Well, that's why it's your major issue :P
My major issue with the preview code was the crappy HUD, and while I don't think they changed it completely, they did do some adjustments to the fonts.
Other than that, I didn't really have any issues with it, so I'd really like to know yours!

Rapier Racer
2nd June 2008, 05:37 PM
Ahh foxy you had me thinking barrel rolls might be getting the chop as well lol :g

Still don't like the sounds of that issue.

piper999
2nd June 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm thinking about the HUD tbh. That's too bad though, if it ain't fixed...

The HUD didn't seem THAT bad.

I think part of the problem is that the video is 4:3 aspect ratio and also includes the overscanned part of the picture (not all of what you are seeing in the video would be visible on a TV screen).

I'm sure if it is stretched to 16:9 it would be better.

Sausehuhn
2nd June 2008, 06:44 PM
Just because it's 16:9 in reality it doesn't mean it fits to the rest of the game. And it doesn't.
I accepted the HUD, but it's still unexplainable for me that the designers chose it.

TheFrostE
2nd June 2008, 07:52 PM
sooo. i heard they are just dumping this whole HD gimmick and are just going to redo......WipEout XL HD! the video you have viewed was fake, SL has tricked you all ;)

nah, just playing obviously...BUT, on the real, im totally stoked for HD WOOOOOOOOO!:rock

Wip3ou7
2nd June 2008, 11:38 PM
thanks for that video... downloaded it with my PS3 and it looks pretty nice... lots of wohd goodness and fairly clear most of the time... the zone portion of the video was exceptionally entertaining

Chill
3rd June 2008, 03:24 AM
Yes... I think the Zone mode in HD is ****ing brilliant... ;)

Avenger2197
3rd June 2008, 05:16 AM
That vid was incredible! Zone in HD will be THE mode I spend most of my time in, without doubt. I thought Pulse's take on Zone was cool, but HD blows me away, seriously!:dizzy

omega329
3rd June 2008, 03:10 PM
sooo. i heard they are just dumping this whole HD gimmick and are just going to redo......WipEout XL HD! the video you have viewed was fake, SL has tricked you all ;)

A new XL with the same beautiful track and scenery design could be what the series needs, XL was closer to perfection than any other Wipeout, I'd even go as far as saying closer to perfection than any other game, ever.
Of course, the mass market may not enjoy it, it may not sell well, but it would restore the faith that us, the fans, have lost in SL.

Chill
4th June 2008, 01:22 AM
Howabout the re-do of Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3 instead of Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse next time?

Wip3ou7
4th June 2008, 03:52 AM
wipeout xl will go down in history as the TRUE wipeout

Hellfire_WZ
4th June 2008, 06:43 PM
The only gripe I've really got is the HUD in Zone mode, the score counter is absolutely COLOSSAL.

Other than that looks bloody amazing and I can't wait to see it in full HD :)

Chill
5th June 2008, 12:13 AM
I didn't think about it before, but my guess from the sreamline is that these crafts are most likely to be using Plasma (star fuel) for fuel...

Wip3ou7
19th June 2008, 02:50 AM
why is there energy just chilling on the front of the pirahna ship? It looks like its charging a plasma bolt but its there for a very long time (much much longer than the time it takes to charge a plasma) and it never fires anything off....

rdmx
19th June 2008, 08:32 AM
I'll assume that it's a leech beam that you are referring to.

Wip3ou7
19th June 2008, 01:49 PM
No, its not a leech beam, there's no arc bridge between it and any other ship, there's just a vortex of energy swirling at the front of the ship, check it out closely

EDIT: The footage im referring to is from 1:20 to 1:50, during this whole time the pirahna ship has a strange vortex of energy at the very nose of the ship, and 30 seconds is far too long for any weapon to last.... also the charge never goes away, the player just overtakes the ship after about 30 seconds and you dont see it again

Darkdrium777
19th June 2008, 05:34 PM
There is the same effect in Pulse when you have a leech beam but don't fire it. It can stay there for as long as you hold the pickup.
This is definitely a leech beam you're seeing.

Wip3ou7
20th June 2008, 04:15 AM
I have never noticed that in pulse

Darkdrium777
21st June 2008, 01:24 AM
It's not as obvious as in HD but it's there. You'll see some swirling energy too :)

Yagya
29th July 2008, 09:19 PM
a few vids (http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6175_en.html)

these are probably old to you all, but i found some interesting things in the first two vids. one has free camera control (at least before the "GO") and the second shows barrel rolling (sometimes you see him waggling, but not pulling it off [either doing it wrong or it's not very responsive, like pulse can be]). when i get to the third the free camera control appears more like a glance left-to-right type thing; which might actually be more useful than complete cam control with analog. also looks like the track on the 3rd vid has visualization screens to go with the music. much like the vid posted in the first post, but instead of zone mode and equalizer bars, it's an actual race and it's a DNA style visualization.

note, that track is the track that the zone mode was done in, but it's in its actual setting, perhaps the reason for visualizations (if different).

eLhabib
29th July 2008, 11:03 PM
I played the preview build a while ago, and yes, you can swing the camera around with the right analog stick (kinda like PGR does it).
And the track with busy visuals you are referring to is Anulpha Pass, it has a whole lot of billboards and lends itself to hypnotic visuals.

Yagya
29th July 2008, 11:09 PM
i like that a lot. the visuals that go with the music. i think it's amazing they're incorporating the music with the game on a whole new level now. so immersive:D

RJ O'Connell
30th July 2008, 01:33 AM
And the track with busy visuals you are referring to is Anulpha Pass, it has a whole lot of billboards and lends itself to hypnotic visuals.
I'm just glad I didn't get the EU version plastered with enough Puma Red to make my eyeballs explode. The whole Delta League is like that.

eLhabib
30th July 2008, 06:56 AM
yeah well. honestly, I didn't mind it that much in Pure (small screen and all), at least it granted the fact that those track packs were free.
Having a branded track like that in HD though - ouch.

Axel
30th July 2008, 09:31 AM
I didn't mind the Puma advertising. I kinda liked it :D. But then I'm a PUMA clothing whore so there you go lol.

Yagya
30th July 2008, 09:56 AM
it's not that different than what Red Bull was in XL. i liked it in XL. made the whole game more plausible and real to me.

eLhabib
30th July 2008, 01:48 PM
well, on the Pure Puma branded tracks, EVERY billboard was Puma, so it's quite different to Red Bull's advertisement in 2097/XL. they only had like 1 billboard per track, and the loading screen, which doesn't hurt imo.

Hellfire_WZ
30th July 2008, 01:51 PM
And you should have seen the Japanese Coke tracks... they didn't even stop with the billboards :blarg

Yagya
30th July 2008, 04:32 PM
i played pure for one race after i had been playing pulse to see what it had to offer, so i didn't see the adverts myself. still gotta give pure another go once i'm finished with pulse. i can't find the download packs anywhere for pulse. the links on wipeout-game.com are down or something so i'm pretty bummed. i really wanna try icaras!

tapioca
24th September 2008, 12:24 PM
New gameplay vids here in 720p and 60ips !
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7119_fr.html

One for each track, one for Zone Mode and an other for the menus…

SouthendRage
24th September 2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the link! Dam....Videos don't play well on my PC, i'll have to use the PS3.

Can't wait to watch another Zone video :D :dizzy

Sausehuhn
24th September 2008, 03:36 PM
Haha! G'Kyl, you're in the Menu Video!

Watch out for the Global Records ;)