PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong here?

AmishRobot
27th July 2002, 07:23 PM
Okay, it's officially been a month since I've played Fusion.

I'm really pretty impressed with the game, overall. Sure there are problems with it - not the least of which is the physics - but I can't say I've been disappointed at all. I knew about most all those problems going into it, and I'm still able to appreciate it for what it is: not quite 'Wipeout', but a damn fine game. I played the hell out of it for a week, and got 70% of it completed. Then I just stopped. And a month later, I still have no interest in playing it again.

To be fair, I've been really busy lately and haven't had much time to play anything. But where I've made at least a little time for ICO, Rez, and GTA3 (9 months later!), I haven't even considered Fusion.

I just find it odd, because it's not any real problem I have with the game, it's just... apathy. I don't care about it. Even Zone mode got old after a couple days. Maybe it's the lack of stats. A quick look at the times here always gives me the urge to pop in WO3 and try to improve, even if I don't follow up on it. Maybe it's the difficulty; the fact that I completed 70% of it in a week, and I'm still not even 50% through WO3. I don't think so though, as XL/2097 was super easy, and I was playing that regularly for a good four years before I ever found this site.

I'm hoping that Quantum Redshift will bring back that feeling, but I doubt it. The track obstacles, terrain effects, and character focus really concern me. And I still can't validate buying an xbox yet, especially when I have so little time to begin with. But I know that if it hits me just right, I'll have to own it, and I'll make time for it.

I guess Fusion simply didn't get it "right" enough for me. I think GTA3 has spoiled me on what a game is capable of. :)

JABBERJAW
27th July 2002, 09:38 PM
Quantum redshift has a better wipeout feel than wipeout fusion, although it doesn't feel just like wipeout, but very good though.

Hydra XL
28th July 2002, 12:03 AM
That's very good news Zoolander as my disposition towards fusion is similar to AmishRobot's. Amish... you don't stand alone in regards to your apathetic position on Fusion; I find myself poppin in XL or wip3out, even wipe'out", over fusion, for a wipeout fix.

infoxicated
28th July 2002, 09:28 AM
James, I totally agree with what you're feeling about Fusion. I played it like an addiction for the first few weeks I had it, but then I just ground to a halt at around 70% complete.

To use the same word, it was just apathy!

I don't understand it either - if you compare the racing in Fusion to that of the other games, the AI certainly gives you more of a run for your money than before. I just think there are too many random factors, like the crazy amount of weapons, the shortcuts and the free-form obstacles. It dilutes the game from being a pure racer down to a gimmicky quick fix for me.

I still play it now and again - mostly with a Van Uber to give me a harder race, but I don't think I'll be playing it three years after release, like I still am with Wipeout 3 :)

Vasudeva
28th July 2002, 10:10 AM
When I started playing Fusion, I had this "wow"-feeling, especially with regards to the smoothness and the level of detail. Alas, alas.

When I had all features unlocked, I also became bored very quickly, despite the variety in tracks and modes. I even find the 2player mode dull - I mean, an equal battle is never possible, since no craft can outbalance each other, one of the two is always slightly better (although Belmondo vs Khumala and Shlaudecker vs Reece are close calls). It just doesn't feel really like an AG-racing game. Too bad.

Peace,
V.

Wamdue
28th July 2002, 11:36 PM
i agree with you all , when I got the game, I was thrilled, i spent a lot of time with it.. somtimes needing a break just to let my eyes recover a bit from the screen , i loved it, every part of it.. then, just like you guys, i just didnt feel like playing it anymore.. When Im bored and not in the mood for CS, i look at my games, trying to decide wich one I wanna play.. I look at fusion and thinks.. "its good game, i wonder why I dont play it as often as wo3".. then I just play some more Halo.. theres a game with replay value.. best AI ive ever seen in a game.. every battle is unique, and it takes a while to get bored with co-op.

AmishRobot
29th July 2002, 02:28 AM
Okay, I broke down yesterday. I designated Saturday to be a goof-off day, so I finally finished ICO. (an amazing game, I have to say) After that, I decided to give Fusion a run through. I played the reverse tracks in Florion Heights and Mandrashee, and by that time, I was bored stoopid. I did play a little time trial, just to be able to listen to some of the songs without inturruption. But a few minutes of that, and I found myself popping in GTA3, to start a new game from scratch. (only my third time through, heheh...)

I think infox is on to something with the randomness - not just with the obstacles and such, but the physics as well. While playing time trial on Cubiss Float, in the "bobsled" section, I found that I was never able to truly predict how the ship would behave based on where I was or what I was doing. In previous games, you would reach that zone where if you made a mistake, you could predict your path and compensate to correct it. It was all based on how your ship controlled. As it should be with ALL racers.

But when I would reach the sides on that section in Cubis Float, I never knew whether the ship would slide down or ride up to the top of the wall, or whether the camera would tilt or not. It's all because of those damned "glued to the track" physics. This is because in reality, you're not steering your ship, but rather steering the track to avoid your ship. The last time I saw that was in Pole Position, back in '84. There's a reason they stopped doing that.

So after this little revelation, I think I'm now going to trade Fusion in for something else. (after I rip the soundtrack, of course! :)) Any suggestions?

Wamdue
30th July 2002, 11:36 PM
im keeping my fusion for the sentimental value. Isnt AC3 out yet? the ac games got a good replay value. Finished Halo today :) awesome game.. plus, just got my compensation from MS, 2games and a controller, im trading those two games though, as rallisport was fun, it had one too many glitches with collition,and oddworld isnt my kind of game :)

im glad you say ICO was a good game, im planning on getting that tomorrow too :)

edit: i should use less smileys, just hit me that i posted 3smileys in a almost perfect diagonal row

Lance
31st July 2002, 04:46 AM
Wam:
nah, i liKe smilies. 8^D

Wamdue
31st July 2002, 07:47 PM
i got ICO and FFX now.. ICO is stunning.. good control, perfect atmosphere even in the menus.. The song that plays when youre in the save menu is so beautiful, hehe its my bg music right now. As I dont like rpg-random-battles I was unsure of FFX, but.. the new character system is inspiring and Im an hour into that adventure now.. knowing that I got both ICO and FFX to play thru, makes me happy :)

d3niaI
31st July 2002, 10:40 PM
errm - what's ICO?

d3nial

Wamdue
31st July 2002, 10:43 PM
ICO is a ps2 adventure/puzzle game. Its very artistic and as Ive said before, very atmospheric

Lance
31st July 2002, 11:15 PM
d3nial: Ico is the name of the main character; it isn't an acronym [like ICO]. Ico is a boy with horns who is sent to be sacrificed. the game is for Ico to escape.

AmishRobot
1st August 2002, 03:57 AM
ICO is easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen. It's not the most technically impressive, but what they did with what they had... hoo boy. A beautiful example of how important artistry is, if I ever saw one.

I found it a bit dull when I first rented it, but I later bought it and, giving it proper time, got totally sucked in. I really felt an attachment to the characters by the end, and the story is handled wonderfully.

It didn't sell well in the US, so it's dirt cheap to buy. I paid $12. It's one of only a couple PS2 games right now that I could really recommend to buy. You PAL gamers have it even better, with a bunch of extras we didn't get!

Wamdue
2nd August 2002, 11:01 AM
Yeah, many developers either have mediocre artists or the artists arent given enough room. Its like designing a website, they need to keep the foundation of their design strong. What I mean is, keep their style throughout the game.

Zebula77
2nd August 2002, 11:15 AM
About Fusion - I still play it now and again, even though I'm currently playing games like FFX, Winning Eleven 6, WRC, Spiderman and Fatal Frame. I like to play Time Trial and just see if I can better those times. I still love it. :lol:

UncleZeiv
14th August 2002, 11:12 AM
After my 100% acheivement, I never played Fusion again. Just two or three times to help a friend of mine reach the Zone mode, just that. No appeal. And graphics quality is not uniform, in my opinion: some tracks don't seem to belong to the same game...
Anyway, I'm personally bored with almost every game... GT3 is too long! SSX is definitely the best ps2 game that I own.

jmoid
18th August 2002, 03:27 PM
i think it's down to something that al hit on - it just doesn't make that much difference if you play skillfully or not. you can blast into the walls and fall off the edge countless times and still win.

its such a pity because i think the track designs, and graphics in general, in fusion are absolutely superb.