PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD Price

Rapier Racer
13th May 2008, 10:01 PM
Now lets see what you are all prepared/expect to pay for HD, in it's original form not including any possible downloads, state the price in your own currency (obviously :p) it might be helpful if you do a little conversion or 2 for the benefit of others, I will put my price in what I think are the 3 main currencies so to speak.

I would expect it to be in the region of say £19.99-£22.99 something like that, anymore and your going to kill the series Sony cos no one is going to pay ridiculous rates for an 8 track game, I fear the price won't be sensible after what I saw you do with the Pulse Packs.

Word of warning to the suits at Sony, you kill our game with your ****ing greed, you better hope no one from here learns the identity of the price setter or his/her life could be at risk if certain people get their hands on such info, you have been warned :nod

Estimates going by current exchange rates, keep in mind the US will possibly end up getting HD cheaper cos thats the way it seems to work.

£19.99
$38.00
€25.00

eLhabib
13th May 2008, 10:39 PM
Please don't go threatening people, that's just not cool, even if it was all meant to be good fun...

As for the price point of HD, I guess it will come in at about 30 euros. Personally, I'd pay even 50, but that's just me and my personal addiction ;) Haven't bought a game since Guitar Hero 3 anyway...

rushin
13th May 2008, 10:47 PM
i don't care what it costs, i am buying it :)

Axel
13th May 2008, 11:01 PM
LOL £20 quid would be fine and dandy. But this is the UK, so I'm expecting £30

Darkdrium777
13th May 2008, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't go for 40$ unfortunately since it is not as complete as Warhawk or GT5p. I'd say half of that, 20$ gladly, 30$ is OK. 40$ is too much, especially if some DLC will come and will not be free...

lunar
13th May 2008, 11:31 PM
Short of having to sell my nearest and dearest into slavery I`d pay whatever they asked, probably, but then in my case you`re not dealing with an objective person where this series is concerned. But even if we on this site all pay £50 for it Sony won`t make much money. To someone who can take HD or leave it and play something else, i.e. most gamers, the price really has to be attractive and they wouldn`t tolerate what some of us would.

It would be nuts to charge any more than £20/30 euros, and even that would seem too high to many people. Something like £12.99 or hopefully even less would shift a lot of downloads, then reasonably priced DLC would help build the franchise. In my opinion, that sort of price point is what would appear reasonable to rational people (meaning non-addicts).

Frances_Penfold
14th May 2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I'm not a good indicator for what Wipeout HD is worth either, because I'd pay $50 or $100 for it. I don't buy much software and I am willing to go all out for something I really want. But no way will most folks pay more than $30 USD.

So do we have any indication (or, well, guesses) about how Sony will handle the reality that not everybody will end up purchasing all of the DLC? I am pretty worried that there will be great inequality in terms of what folks actually have on their PS3 to play with...

mdhay
14th May 2008, 05:50 AM
SL don't have a say in the price, but it should be under a £tenner ;)

And I'm sticking with that. :grin

Assimilator
14th May 2008, 07:32 AM
I'll Pay any price $59 AU is norm for PSN title here in Australia

Full release games are usualy $99 AU

if there are going to be $10 upgrade packs coming out then then $59 would be my preference

But i'll pay what ever!!!!

I must have this Game at any cost, it's the reason I bought my PS3 back in december.

Gimmy now god damn it

Skvall
14th May 2008, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't go for 40$ unfortunately since it is not as complete as Warhawk or GT5p.

Um, you sure about that?

I think maybe around 30€ is good and 40€ too much.
Warhawk is at 30€ now right? How much did it cost when it was released?

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 08:18 AM
I can see it being £24.99, same as GT5P tbh. GT5P has 6 tracks (5 in the JPN orignal before Xmas version.), the offline is not very big, online is not very good, not private lobbies, friends filters, etc etc. I really can't see it being any less then £24.99, that said, I would pay double that for 8 tracks with online private lobbies.

Don't see the point in making death threats mate btw, Sony, MS whoever, they always shaft their customers (even more so us in the UK), been doing it for years and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Skvall
14th May 2008, 08:24 AM
Make that EU.

infoxicated
14th May 2008, 11:02 AM
Word of warning to the suits at Sony, you kill our game with your ****ing greed, you better hope no one from here learns the identity of the price setter or his/her life could be at risk if certain people get their hands on such info, you have been warned :nod
Come on, Stephen, get a grip - that's a completely ridiculous thing to say, even in jest. :rolleyes:

It's entertainment - ultimately, the market will set the price and nobody is forcing you to pay for it. I'd expect a daft comment like that from a 13 year old newbie, not someone who has been around for years.

Posting stuff like that is the prime reason that developers avoid fan forums like the plague. Who would want to put their head above the parapet when they'd be routinely exposed to over-the-top reactions from fanboys?

You're certainly going the right way about making sure people within Sony think twice about posting here, and trust me - six years of biting my tongue over posts like yours has taught me that it's best not to even bother.

Asayyeah
14th May 2008, 01:02 PM
Apologize Foxxy that came from me, this story, don't blame RR for overreacting.
Actually we were talking through msn relating a french rumour about price of HD = 39.99 Euros
I said 40 euros with maybe DL packs for a global of 20 euros that gives 60 euros roughly the price of a blue ray brand new...
I respect Sony same for SL but i find that price scandalous if this comes true.
If they wanted to make money why did they not port Pure on DVD playable for ps2 ( current best sony console sales), hopefully Pulse will be ( too late?).
I told RR a psychological price need to be found : what's yours? mine is 20 euros for the 8 tracks if they want to cover a wide range of ps3 owners ( not specially the die hard fans from here) who got internet connexion.
I know WZ members who already own a ps3 will buy it at any price, i understand them , just to tell Sony i don't own a ps3 and prefer to wait for the 80 Go + DS3 when it will be released in France even it's end of summer, HD will wait.

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 01:10 PM
Watcha Asayyeah,

It's a real shame you are not going to play HD from day one, surly with the amount of your life you have poured into this game Sony or SL should buy you one as a thank you!

I woudl not worry about the 80 version, you can swap disks with ease on the PS3, it takes standrad SATA laptop drives and they even give you details in the manual on how to do this, and it does not effect your warranty.

Also, the PS3 is a good controller, better weight the the SIXwhateveritscalledAXIS, you can import these though mate, thats what I did with my JPN GT5P last year, the rumble is there but I don't think it's as strong as the old PS2 DS2.

Skvall
14th May 2008, 01:29 PM
The 80GB Ps3 plays Ps2 games. So its not just about 20GB more space. And it has 4USB and memorycard reader like the 60GB had i think.

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 01:40 PM
Fair comment, but none of the EU ps3's had the PS2 hardware, only the software emulation which aint great.

As for the 4 usb ports, get a cheap little usb hub, this is more tidy anyway as all the ports are on the front and cables end up everywhere, I run a single lead under the ps to a hub tucked out the way to keep my front room setup nice a wife freindly, I mean wire free!

Also, I have a 60 and 20 gb, the 20 gb is soooooo much quieter then the 60. If you are using the PS3 as a blueray and dvd player too (it's a very good upscaler for thise with HD tv's) then I would recommend the 20 gb.

Skvall
14th May 2008, 01:56 PM
I guess you mean 40GB because 60GB and 20GB sounds about the same.

And yes that is a plus for the 40GB. =)

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 02:24 PM
yeah 40gb, 2 usb, no backward compat, even though is via software in the EU, go figure!

Rubix42
14th May 2008, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, a fair price for Wipeout HD on the PSN.

8 tracks. Well, Pulse was on the PSP and was 12 tracks at $30 USD.

So I'm willing to bet that HD is $20 USD and add on packs will be about $3 to $5.

infoxicated
14th May 2008, 03:28 PM
Fair comment, but none of the EU ps3's had the PS2 hardware, only the software emulation which aint great.
The 60Gb does indeed contain some PS2 chips, but not the full compliment like the US 80Gb does. I didn't hedge my bets - I got a 60Gb the month they announced the 40Gb was replacing it.

A fair price for HD for me, Arnaud, would be £14.99, although to be fair I doubt I'll buy HD at any price.

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 03:31 PM
how come you not buying HD then Rob, you know something we don't or are you refering to the fact that you will not have to pay at all?

mdhay
14th May 2008, 03:34 PM
Happy 4000th post, infox :D

I would by HD if the price is less than £20, My mum would be very annoyed otherwise.

Skvall
14th May 2008, 03:45 PM
Ps2 backwards compatibility:

20GB/60GB US - Full GPU and CPU hardware
80GB US/60GB EU - GPU Hardware and CPU Emulation
40GB - Nothing

Now we got that straightened out. =P

infoxicated
14th May 2008, 04:01 PM
how come you not buying HD then Rob, you know something we don't or are you referring to the fact that you will not have to pay at all?
I just don't want it - I've explained it elsewhere before on the forums, but the game that WipEout has become just isn't for me. Right now I have a raft of PS3 games I can be playing - heck, last night I was playing SOCOM Confrontation for a while and that's a PS2 game, so I'm in no rush to buy a game I don't want or need.

Essentially: Barrel Rolls + Sickening Speed Pad Zoom Effect = No purchase for me.

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 04:06 PM
Yep, Sony straighten us EU customers out good and proper!!!

TBH, I don't really care, upscale all you want, PS1 and PS2 games look pretty cac on 42 inch screen. I didn't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games anyways, but my gripe would be the way us UK / EU dudes are treated differently.

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 04:09 PM
Rob, I undertsand with the barrel rolls, never been a fan of those, rather just race.

I have not played teh game so I canlt comment on the other elements. Sorry for making you repeat yourself, not been on here for a while, got bored or sore hands on the PSP versions.

You are right about lots of other games too with more to come (I can't wait for Little Big Planet) I don't seem to have the time anymore, but then I guess running a company, getting married and having kids will do that :)

Lance
14th May 2008, 04:32 PM
I don't know if I will ever buy HD; I don't own a PS3 yet because of the ridiculous high price. I can't see paying more than 30 $U.S. for the game.

I prefer the Nintendo approach to game hardware: make a game console instead of a total home media system. I think it even helps keep the cost of the games themselves a bit lower. If they owned the Wipeout series, I suspect we would get much fairer distribution and pricing. But of course, they don't. "Them's the conditions that prevail." - Jimmy Durante

Darkdrium777
14th May 2008, 06:19 PM
Um, you sure about that?Yes. WipEout HD has 8 tracks, 8 ships and 8 players online racing. That's it.
GT5p has over 60 cars, 5 tracks, and up to 16 players online racing I believe, as well as this GT5 TV thing. Warhawk granted has only four maps (If I recall correctly) but a ton of alternate layouts for these maps, online only but is 32 players online with many vehicles and weapons. And thus chaotic action.
Therefore, like the 1Up guys said: 30$ is ok, 40$ is a bit too much (Especially if DLC's price will be outrageous like the Pulse packs), but if they do it at 20$ that is really cool.
I do hope they do not place the price to high because this game is highly anticipated by non fans of the series, and if the price is too high WipEout may never be able to completely rise from it's ashes once more like we all hope it does. SL must realize that WipEout HD only is the game that can save them completely and help them gain a new fan base. (We all know Pulse tanked, and we are the only ones who bought it without question because we are fans of the series) If they don't, they will price it too high and only us here on the forum may get it because we like WipEout, but the other non fans out there will not because the price will be a barrier.

Rapier Racer
14th May 2008, 08:05 PM
Oooh that went down like a lead balloon. Perhaps that was OTT my apologies. You hear speculation that the price could be £30 which is clearly overkill and I loose my sense of rational thinking instantly, its obviously a weakness I have, gotten me into trouble in real life as well not just on the forum here.

However, why wouldn't I believe this? After what they did with the packs and its Sony so. It's not a question of me personally feeling its too much I will pay whatever they want, but these stupid casual gamers that they seem so desperate to cater for aren't going to cough that sort of cash up, especially when theres an extreme lack of promotion for the game and they have no idea whats in it.

Why do these people have to do this to my game? Go away and screw around with Motorstorm already.

Posting stuff like that is the prime reason that developers avoid fan forums like the plague. Who would want to put their head above the parapet when they'd be routinely exposed to over-the-top reactions from fanboys?

I thought it wasn't the devs that set the prices? I find it hard to believe the guy that does would ever visit a fansite, do they even play the game? Nevertheless, point taken, shame felt.

I can't be the only one who round here would be Uber-pissed if the series ended due to arsehole pricing though.

Lance
14th May 2008, 08:27 PM
RR: Perhaps OTT? Perhaps?
Not your finest moment. I often find myself in agreement with your opinions [but not always], but I often find myself in diSagreement with the way they're stated.

jmoid
22nd May 2008, 11:31 PM
I prefer the Nintendo approach to game hardware: make a game console instead of a total home media system. I think it even helps keep the cost of the games themselves a bit lower. If they owned the Wipeout series, I suspect we would get much fairer distribution and pricing. But of course, they don't. "Them's the conditions that prevail." - Jimmy Durante

I agree. I like my PS3, but the price of it did sting. Personally I'd love a console with similar capabilities to a Gamecube/Wii, but focussed towards online console gaming; racers, fighting games, that kind of thing... although I suppose I could do that kind of thing with my computer if I put a bit of effort in.

Back on topic, I presmued HD was going to be around £20, just because of the price of Warhawk and Tekken 5 DR. Being honest I'm sure I'll pay more if they ask for it, though.

Wip3ou7
22nd May 2008, 11:35 PM
Considering that I bought a PS3 specifically for the next Wipeout back in the day, I have technically already paid over $650 for Wipeout HD. I think Wipeout is definately worth $20-$30 at its core. I would gladly pay $65 for a full blown wipeout game. ****, for WipEout i'd drop $100 on a collectors edition bluray version without even thinking about it.

Sch@dows
31st May 2008, 11:24 PM
Considering the followings hypothesis :
- "Only" 8 tracks at the begining (I suppose more will come but like Pulse (and not like Pure) it won't be free) which were enhanced from previous versions ;
- no physical support, distribution charges, etc. ;
- no possibility to re-sell the game as "used".

So IMO, the game should not be sold more than 30€. Otherwise, I won't buy it (but i'm sure plenty of people will buy it anyway).

TheFrostE
1st June 2008, 03:15 PM
i'm definetly with Wip3ou7 on this one. lets burn some holes in our pockets for HD!!!!

Rapier Racer
1st June 2008, 04:12 PM
I think the extra content will burn a huge hole in the pocket, if the prices are set by the same twat as last time.

Sch@dows
25th July 2008, 08:39 AM
I think that all the new features describe in the TVG articles will raise the price up. I Hope it won't go over 39,9€ (like GT5P).