PDA

View Full Version : psp to tv component cable

kanar
12th May 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,
Sorry for flooding in this forum again, but once again I've something really important to share with you guys lol (I have to calm down with that pulse thing now!). I've just tried the component cable 5mn ago, and guess what? Whith my exhausted eyes I found Pulse really cool on my little flat tv. Ok, the window is a bit too small, but it's really huge compared to our psp screens. So no more headhache, same framerate, & a better way to admire custom skins lol... I'm quite happy with the result. Finally, what a pointless but cool accessory lol

omega329
12th May 2008, 04:22 PM
If I recall correctly, there is a slight delay between when it is supposed to show on the PSP screen and the TV.

kanar
12th May 2008, 05:28 PM
Finally managed to get the TV back from my wife to try a little more "Pulse on Tv". And it's...nice, really. Maybe a little crazy, but the game doesn't suffer and works as well as on the psp screen. As I said, even with a "zoom in" option, it's really not a full screen experience... but if you're a wiper you should give it a try (maybe for you guys at the convention), I admit that's a weird thing to play on TV with a psp, but hey we're not always playing pulse in a train or a plane lol (maybe they have now screens with component ports?)

Darkdrium777
13th May 2008, 04:06 AM
Seen it at Al's place. Didn't try it but it looked very cool on a flat screen :) I may have to get one of these cables. Do you think it works on a non HD tv with component plugs?

AG-wolf
13th May 2008, 04:29 AM
omega: there's only a delay depending on what kind of flat-panel/lcd/plasma/etc monitor you're using. If you hook it up to a regular CRT-based HDTV, there's no delay at all... some panel monitors have little or no delay as well, but you'd have to investigate them further.

kanar
13th May 2008, 06:27 AM
Yes, it should probably works well on a sd tv with component pluggin! (would be better to try it before, clearly). Mine is a "hdready" first price, kind of small (66 cm) lcd screen, but it's a great feeling to play comfortably on your couch for the fist time (PSP battery autonomy increased, stereo sound..., the great feeling you're playing a "beta" version of pulse ps2... ) I have unfortunately to go to work today -Why God Why???-... Can't wait for this evening!!!

bloseth
13th May 2008, 08:06 AM
Regarding the delay: I have played Pulse on my projector using the component-cable, and I couldn't notice any delay, even when playing at Phantom. I think I actually did some personal best times that evening. It even looked surprisingly good on my 2 metre screen.

AG-wolf
13th May 2008, 11:05 AM
Kanar; one small note, it won't work on an SDtv. The PSP's LCD screen utilizes a progressive-scan signal to display its picture, and although the PSP dashboard can display an Interlaced image, it can't do it when you're playing a game. I don't know if it's to save processing power or what, but it sucks I had initially only re-bought the PSP so I could use it on my TV, but since it's not 480p-capable, I was out of luck.

Sausehuhn
13th May 2008, 11:38 AM
AFAIK there are SDTVs that do support the PSP and it's component video.
It's just that those are very rare.

Frances_Penfold
13th May 2008, 01:32 PM
Just adding my experience to this thread-- I have a small 480p LCD TV (LG brand) and I do not personally notice any response delay when playing Pure or Pulse-- for me, it works very, very well.

But I have seen multiple folks on these forums that have had a problem-- including Asayeah, if I recall correctly.

cnmth
13th May 2008, 01:33 PM
It looks great yeah, but one thing i dont like is that u cant play the game on fullscreen, dident knew this when i bought the component cable.
but still the screen is big enough 2 play on (got a 37inch flatTV).

Also tested it on phantom and had no delay either.
But for me it felt a bit weird, watch your tv instead with your psp in ya hands.
Maybe its something i have 2 get used 2, but for now i prefer just to play on my psp.

Darkdrium777
13th May 2008, 11:27 PM
Well my SDTV, although having component cables is not 480p compatible. :/ I guess I'll use Remote Joy (Thanks, Custom Firmware :p and insertcoin additionally for the infos about it)

AG-wolf
14th May 2008, 04:18 AM
D: ... ;_; link, link, for the love of god link plz XD

Darkdrium777
14th May 2008, 06:28 PM
If you are asking for RemoteJoy AG-Wolf, here is the link:

Remote Joy for IRShell (http://dl.qj.net/RemoteJoy4iRS-Easy-GUI-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/14760/catid/151)

So obviously you need IRShell:

IRShell (http://irshell.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1094)

I have not tried it yet but someone else (I think Expitarius) reported back to me saying it was working (And obviously insertcoin has it working too ^^), just follow the readmes ;)

Haxorger
25th February 2009, 02:16 PM
ive bought one of these cables, only to find out it does'nt work. is it only compatible with HD tv's?

Darkdrium777
25th February 2009, 03:04 PM
PSP playback using the component cable requires a 480p compatible tv set.
PSP playback using the composite cable requires a 480i compatible tv set. No games can be played using the composite cable (Unless you have something I can't talk about here [Although I've mentioned it earlier in this thread], in which case it becomes possible).

Haxorger
25th February 2009, 04:13 PM
so i pretty much have to buy a new t.v? darkdrium

Xavier
25th February 2009, 05:28 PM
Haxorger, what kind of TV do you have? There may be hope for you.

In my case, when I bought my TV/monitor (it's really a monitor that happens to contain a TV tuner), I checked and double-checked with the sales staff to make sure that all the things I wanted to do with it were possible. Seems today that even PS2 input is difficult, and I had to go out of the way to get a monitor that accepted its input.

Lance
25th February 2009, 06:06 PM
Haxorger has been banned for starting two topics in which he flamed two of our members and our administrator. He used multiple usernames which have also been banned.

komatos
26th February 2009, 01:48 PM
I've got the Pelican brand component cable instead of the official Sony PSP component cable. The length is much more acceptable (6'-10' IIRC) as opposed to Sony's short cable length, so you can sit on a comfy chair a few feet away and still play your PSP games in all their large screen glory. :)

My only complaint with the PSP-2000's component output is the following (a very minor one at that): the settings page has the output settings criss-crossed. I.E. it says 4:3 mode and shows up 16:9 mode and vice versa. So if you want to play widescreen mode on your nice new LCD flatpanel widescreen TV, make sure you set it to 4:3 mode in the PSP's settings. Otherwise it looks squished in the on-screen TV window. Just a little bug in the naming of the mode settings of the firmware.

I use it on my el-cheapo GFM (no-name brand Meijer) 720p 32" LCD HDTV and the picture quality is more than acceptable. Not as good as the output from my XBox 360, but about the same as the PS2's output.

yeldar2097
6th March 2009, 03:14 AM
has anyone tried doing it through a laptop?
i know you have to force it through all the hardware etc... but in theory can it be done?

yes i did just buy a psp and pulse on ebay :D

archman
6th March 2009, 10:17 AM
Awesome, yeldar, hope we'll race sometime real soon! (Maybe tonight? :D)

You can do it on laptop. You need remotejoy lite (I didn't succeeded in it, I'm on linux, and it's quite tricky to get it working)

Darkdrium777
6th March 2009, 12:34 PM
Note that Windows 32bits is needed, Remote Joy lite does not work on Windows 64bits. Custom firmware is also required.
After, you need only to activate the plugin and use the USB cable. :)
If you wish to use the component cable on a laptop, I'm afraid it's impossible, unless by chance your laptop has a TV tuner or a video input. Most laptops only have video outputs.

yeldar2097
6th March 2009, 05:59 PM
thanks DD777 and archman :+
my laptop has an antenna socket and an HDMI port if that helps??

Darkdrium777
6th March 2009, 07:36 PM
Look up the model number on the internets to see if they are outputs or inputs. I'd say the antenna is an input, it's weird to have one as output. Not the best cable though, and I don't know if you can feed the PSP in with it (maybe it will require a million adaptors).

yeldar2097
6th March 2009, 07:49 PM
i think its an input, not sure about the HDMI, probably output. i'll check in greater detail

Echthroi
25th March 2009, 01:53 PM
I have a big screen and I had bought a component cable because I thought it would make playing it a little better; it didn't for me. My eyes burned more than they did watching my psp screen, and I seemed to have crashed WAY more. :frown:

Darkdrium777
25th March 2009, 05:29 PM
I play better using those cables, weird... :? Controls seem tighter and I don't oversteer as much.

Echthroi
27th March 2009, 02:02 PM
I played it on my flat screen and didn't like it too much. I even crashed more for some reason. I think it was just because I wasn't used to playing it on a larger screen.

The one thing I liked about playing it on the bigger screen, was because the speakers on the TV really made it sound better. Every time I got any sort of speed boost, I was like HOLY :turd!!!

I don't know I might try it again eventually but, last time I did, I got more of an eye strain playing it on there than I did on my PSP screen. D:

MrSmadSmartAlex
9th May 2009, 10:51 AM
Quick question: when you use one of these, can you still see the gameplay on the PSP screen as well as the TV?
The reason I ask is that I want to record Pulse online into my laptop through a USB video capture device, but don't want to play with the latency I'd imagine this causes.
Cheers!

archman
9th May 2009, 11:52 AM
Alex, I tried using RemoteJoy, and I've seen the picture on both the psp screen and on laptop. But unfortunately, my remotejoy on linux gets frozen everytime psp tries to communicate with the memory card...so...**** it...

Darkdrium777
9th May 2009, 07:06 PM
Yep, that RemoteJoy doesn't work when the PSP saves or loads from the memory card. You have to use IRShell and RemoteJoy for IRShell. This one can save and load, and you won't have problems anymore. :)

purist284
16th May 2009, 06:46 AM
Kanar; one small note, it won't work on an SDtv. The PSP's LCD screen utilizes a progressive-scan signal to display its picture, and although the PSP dashboard can display an Interlaced image, it can't do it when you're playing a game. I don't know if it's to save processing power or what, but it sucks I had initially only re-bought the PSP so I could use it on my TV, but since it's not 480p-capable, I was out of luck.

Hi,

What you need is a VCR or DV-R with component in. That ought to solve your troubles. I can't wait to get a PSP slim... 37inch lcd tv here I come...

Cheers,
Purist284