PDA

View Full Version : Why are TT records are always better than fastest lap records?

kanar
6th May 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi,

I'm using this suject to ask a question about rankings too... Can someone explain to me why TT records are always better than fastest lap records on the same track? I don't get it... If it's just because these rankings are the most challenged, it's crazy. Crazy records.

lunar
6th May 2008, 10:35 AM
I think it`s two reasons, for me:

- In TT you`re more focussed on your lines.
- The PSP performs better in TT and has a better framerate.

But in Pure, eventually, some SR laps would be untouchable in TT because there was always the chance of a crazy SR lap with 3 autopilots and 7 turbos, which you would never be able to touch in TT.

Oh I completely misunderstood didn`t I, and talked about SR versus TT modes.:redface:

You meant best TT mode laps versus best Speed Lap laps, sorry. I guess people have been doing "double turbos" in TT mode to get good laps. That`s one annoying thing in the Pulse rankings. There`s no point have individual best lap for TT and the same thing again for Speed Lap. It`s having the same competition twice, effectively. Best TT lap should be the best lap from your best race. I hope SL see this the same way and change it for HD. Please. ;)

kanar
6th May 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Lunar, thanks for your explanation (my english is bad lol), same feeling for me, I think it's having the same competition twice... I've only competed for fastest lap ranking tables... But TT records are better from 0.20 sec to much more on certain tracks, so I think I will move to TT trainings now (I really thought for a while I was good lol, but TT times ruined my hopes!)

lunar
6th May 2008, 12:05 PM
lol yes it can be a bit disappointing. I just ignore the tables I`m not doing so well in and look at the others. ;) Your english is great btw, I think the problem is my lack of attention. :)

I think another reason people use TT mode is that Speed Lap is only 7 laps, so in Phantom class there`s not a significant difference to using Time Trial.

I think getting good SR times can require the patience of a saint - waiting to get a race with the pick ups you need, where the AI are nice to you, and you don`t run into a random bomb. While hard is better for practice, I would definitely use easy AI if going for times. Why not? ;)

Frances_Penfold
6th May 2008, 12:25 PM
I think getting good SR times can require the patience of a saint

Agreed. As much as I enjoy hard AI when practicing Wipeout or just racing for shits, I don't see the point when one is aspiring to great times-- we are talking about hundreds and hundreds of attempts, the hard AI just makes it that much more difficult to be consistent :)

Regarding the differences between Speed Lap and Time Trial times, it is an interesting idea but I don't see it reflected in the official tables, to be honest. For example, I was just looking at Arc Prime White at Rapier speed. The Speed Laps and best lap for Time Trials are virtually identical, with a slight edge going to Speed Laps, as would be expected. Meanwhile, the Time Trial whole race records are just about exactly what would be expected by treating the Speed Lap (and Time Trial lap times) as "splits" for the entire race-- slightly worse, in fact, probably because it is easier to be consistent for a single lap than for four laps in a row.

But maybe I am missing something, or have been looking at non-representative record tables ;)

Albino Ace
9th May 2008, 03:24 PM
I would definitely use easy AI if going for times. Why not? ;)

I'll give a reason for why not. How about "Wow...a great time with Hard AI, I must be quite skilled!" :g

the hard AI just makes it that much more difficult to be consistent :)

Hence why I used Hard AI in all races...it forces you to get much better at consistency and racing in general. I also reckon it's my best chance at "practicing" for online races, even against the "big boys". ;)

Mad-Ice
11th May 2008, 09:55 AM
You meant best TT mode laps versus best Speed Lap laps, sorry. I guess people have been doing "double turbos" in TT mode to get good laps. That`s one annoying thing in the Pulse rankings. There`s no point have individual best lap for TT and the same thing again for Speed Lap. It`s having the same competition twice, effectively. Best TT lap should be the best lap from your best race. I hope SL see this the same way and change it for HD. Please. ;)

This is what we discussed earlier and exactly the thing which annoyed me a lot!! Because at first I was trying to beat speed lap records especially Kandangs'. Because of speed lap I learned the tracks, once I had set a really good lap I tried to set records in the TT races. I was able to beat Kandangs' race times a lot, but when I looked at the fastest laps in TT races, they were so much faster then my fastest lap in that race. First I did not understand this untill I tried to use my turbo the same way I did in speed lap to get a really fast lap. Then I found out this bug within the game. From that time on I didn't bother much about speed lap anymore because Kandang was only concentrating on TT races and laps within a TT race. He is the one to beat, so that is why TT laps are having a bigger competition.

kanar
12th May 2008, 11:39 AM
oh dear god I was right lol, phantom tt records are... no words for that. anyway, I will give it a try lol