PDA

View Full Version : Broadband for me!! ^_^

Hybrid Divide
22nd July 2002, 03:18 PM
I'm got broadband!!! W00t!
(well I don't have it yet, late this week I hope!)

^_^

Vagrant Logic OUT

Roger
23rd July 2002, 10:04 AM
Good for you! How "fat" a pipe are you getting? I'm getting along quite nicely on a measly 256K DSL line. Enough for staying connected to Wipeoutzone,anyway :D

Hybrid Divide
23rd July 2002, 10:07 PM
My roommate and I will be sharing a 640k line.

I can't wait! I hate having to go to my school's computer lab just to check my email!

Vagrant Logic OUT

Spaceboy Gajo
24th July 2002, 06:05 PM
I've got 56k!

This site sometimes loads as if it were broadband.

Or is it my imagination?

:lol:

Any ways, Foxy's doing a great job for us low end users!

Keep up the great work.

This message paid for by the Infoxicated Appreciation Society.

Lance
24th July 2002, 09:52 PM
the maximum download rate through a 56k modem that ive seen for this site is 12kBps, which equalled the rate for slashdot.org. if it weren't for compatibility problems that Rob mentioned a while back, gZip would make things even quicker by reducing the total download size, but... the problem is there, so..

rhys
25th July 2002, 12:16 PM
you have broadband!

you are very lucky arnt you :)

i have just got freeserve anytime.....almost as good :wink:

infoxicated
25th July 2002, 07:46 PM
Appreciation society!?

Cool! :)

It is a shame about the compression not working for certain people (*cough* James! *cough* - putting the Amish in Amishrobot!) - I was well pleased with the results while it was on.

Which reminds me - need to check the logs tonight to see how we're doing bandwidth wise :)

Hybrid Divide
26th July 2002, 02:00 AM
I WILL be getting Broadband soon. But the smegging modem is about a week late! It's driving me nutzo!

Vagrant Logic OUT
(I used to be on 56k, so I know how it is! :D )

Wamdue
26th July 2002, 10:42 AM
good for you! :) getting xDSL/cable is always a mess.. I had to wait 9months for mine, a guy in the same building ordered the same ADSL service, he got it after two weeks, and 3months before me.. so, we had to call and complain, they´ll notice you as an "annoying customer" and ultimatly, youll get your service up and running faster ;)

Thruster2097
26th July 2002, 12:37 PM
If you are a UK resident with BT phone connection, phone the helpline and ask if you can have the gain turned up on your line. It might mean that the phone conversation will sound a little tinny, but the modem speeds up quite rapidly!

(just a little trick-of-the-trade)

Hellfire_WZ
26th July 2002, 06:32 PM
Uh... we called BT quite a while ago about getting extra gain on the line, and it took them a year! :lol: Still, we're getting ADSL too. We've got the modem so now all BT have to do is initialise the DSL line. Oh well, 'spose I can look forward to next year then...

AmishRobot
27th July 2002, 06:35 PM
Hey infox! I've been meaning to tell you, but I don't think it's the GZip that was messing me up. I've been doing some other random testing on my own, and while I haven't been able to figure out the problem, (nothing's consistent between browsers or sites with similar features) I'm pretty sure it's not the compression. I think it might be the cookies, but again, nothing's consistent.

Besides, I've been doing most of my browsing in Windows, as I'm having serious font display problems in Linux that I haven't been able to pin down yet.

So go ahead and turn it back on. Don't let one lame guy ruin it for everyone!

I need to send you an email. I'm such an ass...

infoxicated
28th July 2002, 09:19 AM
Cool, Jimbo - don't be too hard on yourself... for me it was the only thing that had recently changed and it was the only thing I could think of that might solve the problem for you.

I'll turn the compression back on now... oh, and our bandwidth has settled down to less than a Gb now (I suspect that was aided by the few weeks the compression was on), which is a huge relief! :)

stin
31st July 2002, 03:31 PM
hi everyone sorry been away for so long!.

got a new broadband MEGA WOOOOOW!!! so fast faster than wipeout! well nearly :roll:

could not believe how fast it is just amazing :o

stin :lol: