PDA

View Full Version : HD...how do you handle velocity???

cybrpnk
29th April 2008, 04:42 AM
Recently decided that I have to have GT5 Prologue...and then I decided that I wouldn't do it justice if I didn't buy the Logitech Driving Force Pro too. After a few playthroughs...I decided to hook it up to the PS2 and fire up GT4 (which I have been playing like torture purely with a Dual Shock 2)... Came to realise that Logitech's force feedback steering wheel technology is actually extremely robust and fun...

How does this apply to HD???

Well, come launch day, I'm gonna give the wheel a whirl with HD...anyone know if this is gonna work??? Anyone tried it before and would recommend it??? I think there is potential...

Anyway, how is everyone here going to be piloting their craft when HD finally lands???

SixAxis???

Digital???

Analogue???

Dual Shock 3???

Logitech Driving Force EX???

Logitech Driving Force Pro???

the new G25???

some kinda hybrid wireless NegCon / Wii / Siaxaxis controller you whipped up out of your bu...

rdmx
29th April 2008, 06:57 AM
It'll take too long to turn the wheel lock to lock in order to be competitive if you are using the Driving Force. Me? I'm gonna be using the SIXAXIS d pad or analog, and giving motion sensing a go too.

eLhabib
29th April 2008, 09:37 AM
I used to play 2097 with a MadCatz2 Steering Wheel back in the day, and it worked perfectly - so, I guess, this could work with HD also (although I don't know about the force feedback...)

Rapier Racer
29th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Hopefully Sony will get their finger out and release the DS3 here before the PS4 is announced I mean for ****s sake its a control pad, a DS2 with this motion sensing gimmick shite and its taking them forever!!

So if I can get one a DS3 and I guess I'll give the motion sensing a try to see what its like failing this my Sixaxis that came packaged with the console, in which case I most certainly will not bother even trying the motion sensing for 1 second.

Darkdrium777
30th April 2008, 12:31 AM
I will be using Dualshock 3, which I got with GT5p at BestBuy Canada for 60$ total (A controller for 20$ yes! Finally a reasonable price. 55$ for the DS3 is just too much IMHO.)
I will also try motion sensing, since it is the new thing in the game and the guys at 1Up said it actually worked pretty well. Also the Dualshock 3 will be good since it will vibrate when pitch is incorrect (1Up said it again) so I will be able to correct with motion sensing pitch control.

taqili
30th April 2008, 12:44 AM
I'mma do the motion controls, because I like the feeling of being incredibly frustrated and angry.

eLhabib
30th April 2008, 07:17 AM
HAHAHAHA :clap

Paradoxx
30th April 2008, 06:26 PM
Digital !

Linchpin
30th April 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm going to play blindfolded with motion sensing ..:banzai

rushin
30th April 2008, 10:12 PM
have my dual shock(s) on order. will def give the motion controls a go after watching the 1UP videos. that guy seemed quite sincere that they were great after a lot of practice.

Not entirely convinced, mostly because I rarely play games holding a controller level, or anything like level. we will see, and if not analogue certainly. digital is reserved only for tekken/soul calibur these days :)

cybrpnk
1st May 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm going to play blindfolded with motion sensing ..:banzai

baaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

now that's what zen mode should be like...

on that note...some kinda glasses packaged with the new WipEout for ps3 (not HD) would be great...kinda like 3D glasses to 'enhance' the WipEout experience...hmmm...

Lion
1st May 2008, 01:25 AM
I rarely play games holding a controller level, or anything like level.this is yet another problem I have with the sixaxis motion sensor. I have a fairly consistent angle at which I hold the controller, and it's nowhere near what games view as flat. I would like there to be a calibration option somewhere (I think in the XMB would make the most sense) so a new zero point could be set.
some third-party controllers offer this facility (specifically the splitfish fragfx) via their own internal logic

Skvall
1st May 2008, 03:21 PM
If you use the motion sensor in GTA IV you can turn on auto calibrate, and that means whenever you enter a vehicle the current position of the dualshock will be "flat".

Rapier Racer
1st May 2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah but then if you use the sticks theres no need for any of that :g

Now don't get me wrong I think using motion sensing to control Pitch in HD would be great IF it responds OK, but I don't see the point of using it in GTA in place of normal controls.

Rubix42
1st May 2008, 06:39 PM
I plan on using the DS3 for now.

At some point, I'd like to see a dual flight stick set up. Something akin to a arcade stick, but with all the buttons built into the joysticks like a fighter jet. Allowing us to never have to move a finger when pressing a button, and a nice ability to gently adjust pitch and yaw with the lengthened joystick.

Skvall
2nd May 2008, 12:20 AM
Point was that the thing Lion needed are already implemented in other games. Cant be a negative thing when you also can turn it off, even if most wouldn't use it. =P

a friend in speed
18th May 2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Im new here. But I've been a W'O" pilot from the get-go.

I've ALWAYS used digital.

cybrpnk
19th May 2008, 09:20 PM
welcome to wipeoutzone friend...:)

if you are huge on WipEout, you will not be disappointed here...there are some really cool pilots floating around these forums...not to mention even Studio Liverpool on the odd occassion when they can take a break and hang out with us...

for me...i will be handling WipEout with the SixAxiS...can't wait to try a new form of control system because I reckon that's all WipEout needed to make it next-generation...I have been using the SixAxiS for Ridge Racer 7 and have been very impressed with what Namco have done there...and by the sounds of what 1up are saying...HD + SixAxiS = evolutionary...

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 08:03 AM
Got my DS3 delivered saturday...again in anticipation of this game...

So, if I admit that I pretty much bought a PS3 for WOHD, then it's cost me 300 quid, plus 18 for HDMI, plus 34 for DS3. That's a pricey game! :P

Harvai
28th May 2008, 11:16 AM
I really want to do the same thing Norfolk! But I can't justify all that money for not even a full, finished game (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe when the full game comes out. Same with Gran Turismo 5 - whenever that is (I'll wager money on another delay...)

Avenger2197
29th May 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm an analogue person myself. I've never had the priviledge of a neggie:redface::-

cybrpnk
29th May 2008, 10:24 AM
I actually got the try the NegCon during my early PSX days...the first PSX I ever laid hands on was the one my cousin won from a comp for some magazine...he won like a PSX, A NegCon, a Sony Trinitron TV, 5 games, Ridge Racer, WipEout, Battle Arena Toshinden, Mortal Kombat 3 and Jumping Flash...so...I got to babysit his PSX for awhile when he went overseas...

WipEout and the NegCon was something surreal, kinda weird twisting a controller to turn the craft left and right...i guess there was a degree of precision cause, correct me if I'm wrong, it was analogue???

lunar
29th May 2008, 10:58 AM
A negcon gives you ridiculously accurate steering, as well as other benefits. They`re quite old-tech, though, and not very well put together regarding durability. I think most of the parts and materials were probably recycled from 1952 vacuum cleaners and bedsprings from a junkyard behind the Namco factory. A 21st century Neg could be awesome, but won`t happen.

I`m not optimistic that I`ll ever be able to use motion control steering effectively, but this judgement is only based on the Super Rub a Dub demo, so we`ll see.

Lance
29th May 2008, 08:44 PM
And yet my antique neGGie, well-used by both its previous owner, Joel Marshall, and by myself, is still holding up well [fingers crossed that this will continue].

stin
29th May 2008, 09:53 PM
Lance wrote,
my antique neGGie Is it older than you?!:nod

stevie:P

Lance
30th May 2008, 03:42 AM
Certainly not! I come from the time before History! :g

Darkdrium777
30th May 2008, 05:32 PM
Grandpa Lance, did you meet dinosaurs? :D

Lance
30th May 2008, 07:40 PM
I created them in some of my early experiments; you can thank me for T. Rex. :)

Darkdrium777
30th May 2008, 10:00 PM
Are you... No it can't be...
Are you God? :o

Lance
30th May 2008, 11:08 PM
Oh, Hell no. My real name is Lu... uh... let's just leave it at that, okay? :evil

-------

Oh, looky, my seven-thousandth post. Only three thousand to go before I reach the next category, whatever that is. Assuming there iS a next category.

omega329
30th May 2008, 11:19 PM
Congratulations, three years to go at your current post-rate
btw, that poetry/literature on your livejournal is beautiful...

Lance
31st May 2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks for reading. And for the comment.

Avenger2197
31st May 2008, 04:39 AM
<offtopic>
Lance, your poetry is very, very beautiful indeed. It reminds me a little of when my father would read his own poetry aloud in our house. You and my father would get along famously.:g
<end offtopic>

On topic:
I'm gonna give the motion sensing a serious go. I think it may be as close to a Neg as I'm ever going to get.:brickwall

Lance
31st May 2008, 06:07 AM
offtopic> Thanks. It's good to have one's creations appreciated.

-------

Why do you think you'll not get a neGGie? You can always get the games that work with it. They're worth the getting, I assure you. :)

Avenger2197
31st May 2008, 10:45 AM
Well, having the money necessary to buy said Negcon, and then find the money to aquire a system that will work alongside aforesaid Neg, might be a bit difficult.

Ahhh, Bills, bills, bills.(I hate 'em!);)

I could ask my roommate to help me find one, but in dealing with me, i think I'm asking too much already!:lol;)

Asayyeah
31st May 2008, 05:32 PM
offtopic> Thanks. It's good to have one's creations appreciated.
still offtopic but can't resist to this wave of good words here by saying another creations of you have been really appreciated : those are your Qirex XL records, Lance.
From a qirex 'connaisseur'
:)

TheFrostE
31st May 2008, 06:24 PM
i will be all for motion control, ive found a way to shatter some records using D pad only for years, so im sure even if the motion control is a tad buggy, ill make it work to my advantage one way or another ;)

Lance
31st May 2008, 07:15 PM
Avenger: Luckily, the consoles that will work with the neGcon are old, used, and cheap! :)

--

Arnaud, thanks. Those records were pretty good back in their time, but are old news now, and many of them equalled or surpassed. Nonetheless, thanks for the good words.

Sch@dows
31st May 2008, 11:18 PM
As every other games on the PS3, i'll play with Dual Shock 3 (purchase from japan through eBay's stores and cheaper than the sixaxis) handling with the analog controller.

Hopping to feel the vibrations ... ^_~