PDA

View Full Version : Sideshift tips/advice?

Kevlar
27th April 2008, 01:42 PM
I'm finding it quite hard to find any real use out of sideshift, ive tried to use it to re-aline myself with racing lines(if that makes sense) but I usually end up crashing into the side of the track.

Any advice?

P52Smith
27th April 2008, 01:46 PM
When going round tight corners such as those on Outpost 7, as you start to drift towards the outer wall, sideshift the other way and that normally helps.
Outpost 7's corners require you to let go of the X button as well though.

Kevlar
27th April 2008, 02:01 PM
So, keeping on the inside of the track?
And, a light 'tap' off the x button , or 1-2 seconds?

Mad-Ice
28th April 2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Kevlar,

Sideshifting in Pulse should be used very rare. Airbrakes are so much more important. I only use sideshift when steering and airbrakes are not enough to take the turn without hitting the walls. So just at the end of the turn if you are not able to take the corner, hit sideshift. So first try to get through corners with only steering, if it is not enough use airbrakes (first little taps), if steering and airbrakes are not enough use sideshifting. Good luck.

BTW, in Pure sideshifting is so much more important. You have to use sideshift together with turning a lot and only a little airbrakes. It is just the other way around.

Rubix42
28th April 2008, 04:54 PM
Ok, I'm showing my noob-ness here, but I guess it is the only way to learn. ;)

How do I successfully pull off a sideshift? I can't seem to get it right.

omega329
28th April 2008, 04:59 PM
Double tap L or R, you'll get used to it eventually

Rubix42
28th April 2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks, so it's a double tap of the airbrake (X and O for me, I use L and R for thrust and weapons)

I'll need to practice a bit, just tried it and must not be tapping fast enough.

master bruce
28th April 2008, 05:58 PM
X and O for sidebrakes??! that's crazy...do you not use them often?

Rubix42
28th April 2008, 06:13 PM
I use them all the time, it's just comfortable to me. I like that I can press the square to absorb weapons and my finger never leaves the thrust for even a split second. Works great for me. I would say the only drawback is that if you pause and press X to resume racing, you fly off into the left wall. Need to press start to resume.

Now if I can just tap them fast enough to side shift, I'll be all set.

Darkdrium777
28th April 2008, 11:00 PM
Well that is certainly a weird way of flying but I guess whatever suits you...
However I think that the triggers are most appropriate for double tapping, I could be wrong but from my experience with the PSP buttons X and O are much harder to double tap than L and R.

Asayyeah
30th April 2008, 04:41 AM
Only Al (Jabberjaw) can master it perfectly at my knowledge, thus he is using A and B button for airbrakes with his Negcon ( Triangle and circle)

Vincent_VII
2nd May 2008, 12:20 AM
I used a similar "face button" set up for air brakes with my neGcon. I wish, however, that it was possible to disable side shifting all together. Even on O7 it isn't necessary. I also like to use my air brakes to steer and weave on the faster sections. It allows me to straighten out without the full force of steering. This requires quick taps on the air brakes. Sometimes side shifting inadvertently. Arg.

Rubix42
5th May 2008, 06:12 PM
I also like to use my air brakes to steer and weave on the faster sections.

Does that improve your times at all in comparison to using the steering, or would you say it is just a personal preference?

Vincent_VII
13th May 2008, 08:43 PM
If anything I think it increases my times - they are brakes after all. But I don't have the superhuman reflexes some other WO pilots do so using faint taps on the brakes for stability really helps keep the ship under control. Once using the brakes to stabilize and steer becomes second nature it is very easy to correct your mistakes in Phantom races. :cowboy