PDA

View Full Version : Speed classes

P52Smith
27th April 2008, 01:37 PM
Here are my thoughts on speed classes in the future:
1. Bring back vector, it provides a nice easy way to learn horrible tracks like Outpost 7
2.Make a new speed class, make a 6th class faster than phantom for the extreme racers and for those who want a bigger challenge. I would put this class at around 890-950kph so that it is reasonably faster than phantom (793kph) but not too fast.
I would appreciate your thoughts on these ideas.
PS sorry for spelling mistake in first poll option. It should read bring

blixabargeld
28th April 2008, 09:47 AM
1 vector is like going with the hand-brake pulled.. and outpost 7 is funny:o
2 in my opinion phantom is fast enough, and when I say fast I mean that you have to memorize the tracks to drive properly.. but for people with an incredibly high midichlorian level there's the zone mode (and of course zen class) which is really too fast for me.. (with a new faster speed class, the new wipeout should be sold in bundle with dozen of red bull cans..:coffee)

Task
28th April 2008, 01:00 PM
Normally, I'd say that Vector should come back and Flash should be removed. But Vector was a good removal given how it doesn't really work with the Pure/Pulse physics. So unless the physics are really changed again, putting Vector back in would probably be a bad move. Instead of adding another speed class, I'd just suggest increasing the speed difference between each class by a small amount. I imagine they make Phantom as fast as the machine can process the game, so that would be the limiting factor on that one.

Hmm, after you "brink" something, does that mean it's been "broukht"? 8 )

q_dmc12
28th April 2008, 01:03 PM
Zen speed class - it starts at Zone 30(:?:) speed, then every lap increase by one zone....maybe you would be able to set how many laps you want to do for a custom grid or something. For default grids the laps may start at 10 or 8 or something like that...

...Faster is better!:mr-t

AG-wolf
28th April 2008, 06:44 PM
After the last week of being exposed to so much of the newer Pure/Pulse stuff, I'll have to chime in with Task and say neither. Unless the game engine is radically overhauled and brought back to the playability level of XL/3, both options would be ridiculous. Vector would be pointlessly slow (come on, I think Flash is retarded, but even -I- could do Venom), and anything above Phantom would satisfy only the upper 2 percentile of Wipeout Fans because only THEY would have an competent ability with it. LOL Wipeout Mensa

...I think I'm just bitter because I can't play Pulse to save my life :P

Darkdrium777
28th April 2008, 11:40 PM
I have to agree with Lance and AG-Wolf. Vector will be very slow if it is added back in and while I would really like a Zen speed class to be added, it would become basically unplayable for the non-fans of the game (And even maybe for some fans xD). It would be cool if Zen was added in as an option (Like in Racebox and Online), but didn't take part in the unlocking of game features aspect (Therefore no tournament or grid campaign on it), but then it would retrograde Phantom to some other speed class, while Phantom should truly be the fastest speed class (According to WipEout history of course).

specialDFX
30th April 2008, 05:55 AM
Make venom flash speed, can the flash name... phantom is spot on, wouldn't want races any faster.

P52Smith
30th April 2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Personally, 4 speed classes lacks variety and a 5th, slower class requires tracks that present a range of 'difficulties' at each class which are easily cleared at slower/faster classes.

I would like some posts from those who voted for the other options as to why they feel that way!

JABBERJAW
30th April 2008, 07:53 PM
isn't this in another thread?

add vector back at current venom speed
make venom move at flash speed
Remove flash
rapier remains
phantom remains
ADD ZEN speed, zone 50 or so, (saw Travis playing this quite easily)

P52Smith
30th April 2008, 09:09 PM
Not to my knowledge.

My original idea was to bring back vector at a speed lower than venom, keep the other classes the same and introduce a new, faster class (not called zen as this is a state in zone mode where your speed increases above the classed speeds (infinite in limit (I think)))

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding JABBERJAW

JABBERJAW
1st May 2008, 01:43 PM
No, I meant a fixed speed called zen at around zone 50 speed, but the walls slow you down like in the regular game. Does there really need to be a speed class slower than how venom looks on pulse? We would be getting into diddy kong racing speed(shudders violently)

locus2k
2nd May 2008, 05:54 AM
I agree with Jabberjaw

Bring vector back and make it venom and venom flash and can flash

Flash is such a rediculus name it doesnt even fit saying them in order

It flows better saying vector, venom, rapier, phantom not venom, flash rapier, phantom

The game is too easy on venom speed to begin with. If you have trouble with outpost 7 on venom... then I dont think Wipeout is your game... should go back to playing Mario Kart >.>

For the speed faster than phantom call it.... Ludacris speed!

Those are my 99 cents

Medusa
2nd May 2008, 10:18 PM
Bring back Vector, only if the game gets nice physics like in WO1, XL, 3 or SE, and Flash gets dumped. Only then.

P52Smith
4th May 2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with the idea, I would just not call it Zen as this could get confusing as it already has a use.

Thanks to everybody for the comments and votes, it is interesting to see how evenly the forum is split so far (15 votes is not even representation but is still useful to see the distribution)

P52Smith
29th May 2008, 02:19 PM
19 votes only, but still useful

I have since adapted my idea to another alternative:

Create a name
Chuck it in the middle of the other classes
Spread the classes out so that:
Speed class 1, Phantom = 810km/h
Speed class 2 = 700km/h
Speed class 3 = 600km/h
Speed class 4 = 500km/h
Speed class 5 = 415km/h
Speed class 6, Vector = 340km/h

This provides a relatively even acceleration between classes and is only a little faster than the current Phantom and a little faster than old Vector and about 50km/h slower than current Venom.

eLhabib
29th May 2008, 02:23 PM
The felt speed difference between 500 and 600 km/h is much less than between 600 and 700. Take that into account if you are aiming for an even acceleration (subjectively).

Albino Ace
29th May 2008, 03:23 PM
My idea for a speed class:

Vegeta. Top speed? OVER 9000 kilometers per hour! :P :lol

I was kinda sad to see Vector go, on a serious note...its WipEout tradition! :o

lunar
29th May 2008, 03:49 PM
the thing about speed classes and speeds is that the numbers are pretty meaningless, apart from using them to analyse how you should take the track to reach maximum speed. 2097 never reaches the same numbers as Pure, but it`s pant-wettingly faster to play. Didn`t Fusion give us 2000kph or something silly like that in single race mode?

What matters is how fast it feels, and Phantom is the one that feels the fastest while Vector feels the slowest. And Flash is a rubbish name. Simple as that, really, though I think in the rumoured all-new PS3 wipeout they could give up the old names altogether. Fusion`s system wouldn`t have been regarded as so bad if it was a good game, and I think in 2011 or when (and if) we get the official PS3 Wipeout it would be good to try something new.

It was also a good idea in Fusion that ships had a different look for different speed classes - probably like what would happen in real life racing classes. The whole thing just wasn`t too well implemented, but it was a sound idea I think.

Mark Of Insanity
30th May 2008, 09:51 PM
I agree with many of the opinions stated here - Flash should be removed completely IMO and Venom put up a notch and re-introduce Vector at current Venom speeds. After all, what's important is the difference between the speeds (not the literal speed itself), and ultimately, how fast phantom feels next to vector. I supported the removal of vector for pulse, but only because I feel that more than four speed classes is unnecessary.

We've all said that Flash is a poor name for a speed class, and while names are very unimportant at the end of the day, they do make a lasting impact.

I don't think they'll make any changes for Wipeout PS3, or at least not any more that they haven't already made (with regards to speed class, that is).
Still, it's something to think about for the sequel!

adelheid
2nd June 2008, 08:54 PM
Didn`t Fusion give us 2000kph or something silly like that in single race mode?

I hit 3999 on Mandrashee 3r (and the wall), which is 2484 in old money.
I think my bullsh!t-o-meter just shorted out. :D

P52Smith
10th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Using the super fast ships 'cheat' on Fusion, I was going so fast I went through the loop in one of the tracks, it was about 3900 kmh. (Sorry, don't actually own Fusion so I don't know the name of the track)

33 votes now, spread quite evenly but with a definite incline towards neither or both, oddly enough with the return of vector in 3rd and the new 6th class a definite 4th. Thanks for all the votes and comments, keep them coming.

//eLhabib: What speeds would you recommend?

RJ O'Connell
10th July 2008, 10:18 PM
I hit 3999 on Mandrashee 3r (and the wall), which is 2484 in old money. I think my bullsh!t-o-meter just shorted out.
There are much higher speeds to be reached. At least in the US version.

"4000" km/h club represent

eLhabib
11th July 2008, 12:00 AM
I can't nail it down to actual numbers. Nobody knows what it feels to be going at even 300 km/h anyway, so what's the point. I think it needs to be a noticeable jump between classes, but not so much that all cornering techniques that worked in one speed class don't work in the next.
Vector is a class I can perfectly live without, it's simply too boring, but I understand it has to be there to give newcomers a chance. Still, it probably would be a better idea to start with a faster class and provide a pilot assist (they are doing that with HD).
I also find the jump from rapier to phantom a little too humble sometimes, phantom could well be a bit faster for a challenge, but it's most likely denied by the physics engine leading to too many troubles.
Oh and they can also ditch flash, as far as I'm concerned. Let beginners start in venom, with pilot assist, and as soon as they're ready, toss them into rapier to play with the big boys.

Lance
11th July 2008, 10:31 PM
"Nobody knows what it feels to be going at even 300 km/h anyway,"

Not quite true, I know two people who have 200 MPH motorcycles and have ridden them at maximum speed on public highways. That's approximately 321.8 km/h.

eLhabib
12th July 2008, 12:00 PM
alright, alright. nobody knows what it feels to be going 300km/h in an AG-craft :P

Medusa
12th July 2008, 01:58 PM
Regarding Vector as a speed class, I wonder how many who voted are thinking of the speed in Pure's Vector in a top speed ship, as compared to Vector in W3O in Icaras. W3O's Vector could hardly be called deathly boring when in Icaras, I think.

I think one of the keys to the illusion of speed in a video game is the scope of the land and buildings around it.

And regarding those lovely high speeds, Boeing 747s take off at speeds around 180 mph (290 km/h) and cruise at speeds up to 570 mph...so although the distance between the jet and the ground is quite different from the distance between an AG craft and the ground, it's safe to say that quite a few people know how it feels to go that fast.;)