PDA

View Full Version : 64...yes or no?

TheFrostE
7th April 2008, 07:39 PM
i played it for the first time yesterday...and im loving it, who else here cant see too much wrong with this game? ive actually became a big fan of it the last 24 hours, i just dont like the HUD too much. thoughts and opinions?

Axel
7th April 2008, 11:24 PM
It is a brilliant game that uses the N64 controller VERY well. This is the game that truly got me into the series. Best track in the game is Qoron IV. Oh and them challenges are very frakking hard dude.

Glad to see someone loves WO64 as much as I do :)

JABBERJAW
9th April 2008, 01:52 AM
My favorite physics of any of the games. Two problems with the game, so you don't have to discover on your own. Time trial is only one lap records(this would have been nice to be like xl). When you are in first place you pick up no more turbos, autopilots quakes bombs, which sucks, but when behind you pick up all of these. The tournament for 64 is weapons off because of this. I have a cheat code to make it fair for gameshark, but I do not know how to get it to work with player one and two, it always freezes up.

Axel
9th April 2008, 11:08 AM
Yup the two problems you highlighted are what bugged me about the game. Also the corrupt save files. I must have done the Challanges all to gold at least three times!!! Very good game in my eyes.

DJ Techno
10th May 2008, 05:10 AM
It was Nintendos best match to comeback on when Sega and them were in were in the game console war with each other.

Assuming who all have played with the Sega Saturn version of Wipeout
and the all who played Nintendo 64 version of Wipeout

Freakin Neat I thought when i played it.
The same company who brought out to fighting gamers everywhere. Midway and Midway created Mortal Kombat for SNES/N64.

The game motivates speed, control, and grip.
And some of the same factors Wipeout XL for Playstation had.
cutting corners and real high fly action.

And holding the 64 controller was cool for players after the other games that were offered.
A lot of folks hold and play the controller different.

lol I still use both hands on the palms and the left for moving.

Medusa
12th May 2008, 06:46 PM
I love the game but still haven't had the time to finish it. Great physics and although the tracks are far from original, it feels totally wicked to race Karbonis in reverse at Phantom speeds in a Piranha II. Messes with my head every time!
WO64 is sort of a SE version of wipeout - you get hardly any original tracks, but you get to race classic tracks faster than you ever did before. The first four-player wipeout, that's probably the best reason to get it.

The weapons hand-outs are what really wreck the game though, I think, just like Al said. Not random at all, ugh. Well, I guess it's the game freezing that really wrecks it. Just when you think you've got that lap nailed, it goes and freezes up. AARGH!
Great game, yes, but spoiled by the weapons and freezes. And the Nintendo-ized screens. And lack of good music tracks (just not up to the quality of the other games' tracks).

q_dmc12
16th May 2008, 12:08 AM
I loved everything about WO64 and I still do - fav song: Goodnight Lover by Fluke...play that on qoronIV at phantom and its pure heaven...:hyper

Avenger2197
24th May 2008, 04:50 AM
WO64 is one of my all time favs for sure. There really is nothing better than flying so fast you can't feel your hands afterward.:g The weapons bug/glitch thing is the main detractor tho:(

AG-wolf
24th May 2008, 06:46 AM
as far as the game freezing and the corrupt saves are concerned, I really think it's just due to dirty cartridge contacts. I always kept my games and console clean (Q-Tips & Windex for cartridges, and a system cleaning kit for the console), and I even cleaned the pins on the memory cards. Never once did i have hte game freeze on me or get a corrupt save; I did accidentally hit my N64 while I was playing though, and the jostle must have interrupted SOME kind of data transfer because the music got scratchy. That was about all though.

swift killer
1st June 2008, 10:48 AM
i never quite liked the N64, it had some good games, thats for sure, but i never did like it, the controller felt too much like a toy.

Carlos
5th October 2008, 08:05 PM
I thought it was a good game, too bad it was underrated. :(

While it was a good game, it doesn't feel anything like a Wipeout visual wise. I donno, there wasn't that spark that WOXL had.

Axel
9th October 2008, 01:00 PM
Well it felt like one to me since it was my first owned WO game. But yeah, it did play differently from 2097. I'm pissed I lost my copy of the game though.

pildog
23rd November 2008, 05:44 PM
Wipeout64 was my first Wipeout and I loved it, even if the difficulty got a bit too much for me after a time. However I now have this on emulator and it works just fine, so I may try to complete it this time!

I loved my 64, still got it somewhere.

KIGO1987
3rd February 2009, 04:08 PM
I just did two player on this game with a mate of mine, late yesterday. A real real real downgrade graphics wise playing this, but it was fun. I recon the frame rate in two player in Wipeout 64 is more fps than HD. It was smooth, but that was it. And someone tell me whats so super about the PiranhaII, weapon? It is as useless as the concept of daylight savings.

AG-wolf
4th February 2009, 05:03 PM
Kigo, try flying -through- another ship on the track when you engage PiranhaII's special weapon ;)

Velocitar64
4th March 2009, 07:53 PM
It was probably my favourite of the WipeOut games, since it seemed to do everything right. Great soundtrack, a VERY speedy game, and it balanced all of the ship elements exactly right. One quite speedy speedy one, one very manouverable one, one very speedy one, and one all rounder. (And one excellent at everything). My favourite track was Quoron IV, or Macheon II due to the excitement and turns on them ;)

andybob35
6th March 2009, 07:43 PM
never played any wipout after WoSE till woHD came out, how does the controller and airbrakes work... that was my issue with the psp versions.

p.s. Go get him Infoxicated!

brainbeat
19th February 2010, 12:29 PM
Well i have just bought wipeout 64 for a fiver and a n64 with 4 random games for 25 quid. hopefully i like wipeout 64 as i have just read a few reviews and it only got like 6 or 7s out of 10. Normally dont take much notice of reviews but they were a bit legit back then.

so i got both parcels today, im in love xD. the steering is precise, i can tell even though the controller stick is kinda unstable, worn out, gutted to find out i need to buy mempack

Mnemonic
17th June 2010, 06:07 AM
Damn! I sold mine just some weeks before! After reading here it has something to do with the contacts of the game module causing it to freeze. Mine always froze every 1-2 races, so i never played it. Now i have to look out for a us-version for my ntsc-console.

@brainbeat: ah, almost forgot. Can you, were you live get fresh controlsticks from nintendo itself? It was possible here. There easely switched, if you want a new one.

AG-wolf
17th June 2010, 10:35 PM
Well i have just bought wipeout 64 for a fiver and a n64 with 4 random games for 25 quid. hopefully i like wipeout 64 as i have just read a few reviews and it only got like 6 or 7s out of 10. Normally dont take much notice of reviews but they were a bit legit back then.

so i got both parcels today, im in love xD. the steering is precise, i can tell even though the controller stick is kinda unstable, worn out, gutted to find out i need to buy mempack

Google "n64 replacement joystick" or something similar and you can often find places that sell the analog stick mechanism. It's a quick swap-job and you're good as new.

brainbeat
18th June 2010, 12:14 PM
I fixd it myself. I opened it up got the stick out and wrapped selotape round it. Works a charm lol. There's a guide on YouTube somewhere.

Mnemonic
19th June 2010, 06:37 AM
I´ve gotta try that with the tape sometime! I only mentioned for you other N64-owners. My controllers work fine (for now).

redcheckers
23rd July 2010, 01:33 PM
I just downloaded Project 64 yesterday, along with WO64. Loaded it up for the first time and it ran at a solid 60fps... which took my breath away.

Dan Locke
31st July 2010, 09:56 PM
If you're having trouble with the skybox, remember to check "Use Direct3D transformation pipeline" in the advanced graphics settings.

quickbeam
28th October 2010, 05:30 AM
The first wipeout I ever bought was wipeout xl for the PC way WAY back in the day, but I couldn't play it on my computer at the time due to the fact that hardware acceleration was required to run it (that's what I assumed, anyway). I was crushed. But then I saw Wipeout 64 years later and became ecstatic. The graphics are gorgeous (technically) and the challenges are quite satisfying.

I recently purchased XL and I think I prefer it to WO64. Better HUD, better music, more innovative track design, better art design, and better "contender eliminated" announcement (God, I hate that stupid sales rep who says it in WO64). However, WO64's tracks are a little easier to master and the challenges add a little more variety to the whole experience. Both great games, I'm just glad that Nintendo aficionados like myself who never owned a Playstation were given a chance to experience the series on their home console.

Dan Locke
4th December 2010, 06:36 AM
I just got back into playing this one; I'd forgotten (or, maybe, never realized in the first place) how excellent it is. The graphics are awful, and the engine is sloppy, but the speed and competition are by far the best in the pre-Fusion games. I'd probably put it in my top three, along with Wipeout HD: Fury and Wipeout 3: Special Edition.

I recently purchased XL and I think I prefer it to WO64. Better HUD, better music, more innovative track design, better art design, and better "contender eliminated" announcement (God, I hate that stupid sales rep who says it in WO64). However, WO64's tracks are a little easier to master and the challenges add a little more variety to the whole experience.
Wipeout 64 uses mirrored tracks from Wipeout and Wipeout XL. Klies Bridge = Talon's Reach, Qoron IV = Altima VII, Machaon II = Gare d'Europa, etc. The "easier to master" thing comes from the slightly F-ZERO-esque handling model.

JABBERJAW
5th December 2010, 02:41 PM
I don't see how this game handles like fzero at all?? It feels exactly like a mix between xl and 2097, as long as you use the correct controller (not the nintendo one). IT is more forgiving on the walls than xl because it is slightly floatier. Also, for some reason using the normal controller, it is twitchy, not sure why this is. It is stlll my top game as far as the handling is concerned.

AG-wolf
5th December 2010, 03:31 PM
It's twitchy because WO64's analog control isn't the same as XL's.... in XL (with the NeGcon), when you let the controller snap back to zero-turn, your craft takes a little while to straighten out. In WO64, your ship's left/right movement is directly connected to the control-stick at all times... say you're in a straight-away, snap the stick back and forth rhythmically, your ship barely misses a beat.

it's kinda like all the ships in 64 are as "sticky" as Piranha is in XL.

But every once in a while, it'll seem like you lose complete control over your ship and you just slide out of a corner... it's really quirky.

al, you have to remember 99% of everyone else out there is playing WO64 with a "normal" controller :P

As far as "originality" in the game; I never once felt like any of the tracks were re-hashed, despite their origins They all felt like they had competent difficulty/challenge, and the aesthetics made them completely new locations.
Also, I don't know who's choice it was to put a Wipeout game on the 64, but I personally don't think the graphics are "awful;" I think the 64 actually does a great job considering what it has to render... Most people here are PSX-nuts, though, so it could just be lack of familiarity with a different platform. I've spent the same amount of time with all three main consoles of the time (psx n64 saturn) so I'm a little more relative with subjective stuff like how I think games look or sound... 64 games all have that weird bilinear filtering which was an attempt to prevent pixelization (which occurred often in PSX and Saturn games), but the machine had such low memory for textures, that surfaces already had low-res graphics stretched retardedly large to begin with... the filtering made stuff look like a muddy mess unless a programmer knew the caveats of the hardware and how to work around them.

It's DEFINITELY not anything like F-Zero beyond being a hovercraft racer... F-Zero X is arguably more difficult, depending on your style or racing... ships lose "grip" in X way too easily, and unless you've got a good ship for drifting (Night Thunder, Blood Hawk) you'll just immediately drop speed.

Dan Locke
5th December 2010, 06:52 PM
The graphics are awful, even for the N64. I'm not talking about the texture quality (if anything, Wipeout 64 actually has some of the better texture detail that I've seen on the console), but the polygon count is low and the draw distance is pathetic. Technically, it's near the level of Wipeout XL, but that game hid its graphical flaws with strategically-placed scenery; Wipeout 64's open spaces and slab-sided canyons practically flaunt their lack of detail and copious pop-up. On top of that, the non-player ship models are worthless and the framerate goes all choppy with some weapons. This might have been forgiveable in a first-generation title (although I doubt it - even Super Mario 64 looks better), but Wipeout 64 was released in the same year as Banjo-Kazooie!

I don't see how this game handles like fzero at all??
How isn't 1:1 correspondence between ship movement and stick position like F-ZERO? It's the only Wipeout game that handles that way; it feels like someone took the positioning model from F-ZERO X and added the floaty physics from Wipeout XL.

Medusa
5th December 2010, 09:59 PM
How isn't 1:1 correspondence between ship movement and stick position like F-ZERO? It's the only Wipeout game that handles that way; it feels like someone took the positioning model from F-ZERO X and added the floaty physics from Wipeout XL.

What I read here is that you move the stick left to right and your ship moves back and forth just like in F-ZERO X...but the physics are floaty like XL. So how is that similar exactly? :| :lol You just pointed out quite clearly that it's different...

You don't have to keep comparing wipeout to F Zero, really. No offense, but we won't miss it, and there is a thread specifically for that I do believe.

JABBERJAW
6th December 2010, 01:49 AM
fzero either slides out, or grips, you grip until the turn is too sharp for the ship you have chosen, then it slides out completely (Not talking about advanced techniques here) Wipeout has degrees of slide/grip depending on how fast you turn your ship, it is not even close to the same feel. The pitch up/down also affects the amount of slide on your ship.

Dan Locke
6th December 2010, 05:54 AM
I really shouldn't have to explain this, but similar ≠ same.

JABBERJAW
6th December 2010, 01:08 PM
You did not say similar, you said this, "it feels like someone took the positioning model from F-ZERO X and added the floaty physics from Wipeout XL." This makes it sound like fzero with floaty physics, which is doesn't feel like at all. I do understand the position on the controller thing (crappy controller I might add). However, most n64 games have that sort of controller position thing of those games, but that does not mean they feel alike.

On a side note, I am really wondering about this position thing. I watched other people play with that controller, and the game moves choppy a little (like piranha from Xl), but when I used the ultraracer 64 , or any other wheel, it is smooth as can be, pretty much the same as xl. I wonder if the pot is better, then maybe the feel is better? Not sure, I have not been able to get that n64 controller working for you yet, I have the stuff apart, but one of the pots of the n64 controller had a piece soldered from one pin of the pot to another on the same pot. I guess I would have to do the same thing? Ok back on topic now.

Dan Locke
6th December 2010, 01:24 PM
Of course it doesn't feel exactly like "F-ZERO X+Wipeout XL" - and I never said that it did. I said that it felt slightly similar because of one aspect which is present in F-ZERO X and none of the other Wipeout games: the 1:1 analog control (in other words, the positioning model, not the physics engine). You keep "disproving" a claim that I never even made.

Oh, and nice to hear that my controller's progressing; I'll be sure to pay you for it once it's done.